• So many newbies lately! Here is a very important PSA about one of our most vital content policies! Read it even if you are an ancient member!
... And now you got me listening to the Undertale Soundtrack again. XD

... And now you got me listening to the Undertale Soundtrack again. XD
SPEAKING OF MUSIC THAT WAS IN UNDERTALE: have I linked to this yet? Because I should have. (Let's play spot-the-paralleeeels...~)

...Actually, I'm noticing that the two versions of this song are getting kind of mixed up in my memory, now that I think about it. XD

But yeah, that Toby Fox, man... phenomenal music. OwO

SPEAKING OF MUSIC THAT WAS IN UNDERTALE: have I linked to this yet? Because I should have. (Let's play spot-the-paralleeeels...~)

...Actually, I'm noticing that the two versions of this song are getting kind of mixed up in my memory, now that I think about it. XD

But yeah, that Toby Fox, man... phenomenal music. OwO
Nope, no idea what that song is at all.

You should listen to Video Game Remix's remixes of UT and SU. They're great.

Anyway, skimmed over 4-5 pages of what I assume was offtopic chatter? If not, please fill me in.

As for Ib and OFF, I'm thinking, but can't come up with anything.... I'm not that good at writing bios/characters, I can barely match others' post length. ;~; Any ideas?

For OFF, I wanted him to be a laid-back joker who likes shitty jokes and puns (with random spouts of French), but who can turn murderous if aggravated/under pressure or a lot of purifying needs to be carried out. TBH I think I have a clearer grip on OFF than Ib, even though I remember the two games about the same (I played Ib at least 3 times)... I guess it's because I saw more content of it than Ib.

OFC, that's still small compared to what you guys have written, but they're also slightly smaller fandoms... However, I believe OFF has been popular in the past during one of Homestuck's major hiatuses.

So.... I need advice. If you were to play Ib, @Kaga-kun , what'd you do? How did you imagine them? I was thinking of characterisation through dialogue (by imagining what they'd think/say), but that's kind of... Eh, a bit difficult, and not very descriptive either.

Also I need a new keyboard, typing on this one is so easy compared to my other one...

Nope, no idea what that song is at all.
KAY SO APPARENTLY MY PHONE LACKS CERTAIN FONTS, WHICH MADE THIS POST VERY CONFUSING AT FIRST.

I'M GLAD I WAITED TO REPLY ON MY ACTUAL COMPUTER.

But seriously though my phone apparently likes to turn Comic Sans into fucking Times New Roman or some shit and I just...?!

As for Ib and OFF, I'm thinking, but can't come up with anything.... I'm not that good at writing bios/characters, I can barely match others' post length. ;~; Any ideas?
Dude, don't worry about matching post length. This has nothing to do with that, and I'm not asking for length -- all I wanted was a little bit about Ib's actual personality, since I felt the description you at first gave (even though the length was fine) sort of missed the mark in regards to what it was actually trying to tell me.

So.... I need advice. If you were to play Ib, @Kaga-kun , what'd you do? How did you imagine them? I was thinking of characterisation through dialogue (by imagining what they'd think/say), but that's kind of... Eh, a bit difficult, and not very descriptive either.
Hmm... that's a difficult one. I guess you could make them sort of a quiet and curious type, and then also, ah... maybe sort of creepy, too?

Actually, you could even say that Ib is basically a painting, themself (sort of like Mary), which could go interesting places. Granted, I realize that isn't exactly personality-related, but, yeah, it could go interesting places and help you design more of a character from there. (In fact, digging up the thoughts I had about a possible Ib fandom way-back-when, I'm pretty sure this was one of the ideas I came up with...)

But, anyway, since I'm feeling a bit stuck on Ib in particular, let me just give you some general advice:

You have options in regards to what things you can base a fandom off of. You can model their personality off of their main characters, the nature of the series itself, what the fans are known for being like, or, if it's a video game, you can work off of what it feels like to play it and make choices as a player.

The latter of these is where I got a lot of the inspiration for Undertale, since the game is all about letting you choose whether to kill or spare enemies, and so I made Undertale "capable of both great kindness and great violence" to reflect the two possible extremes of where that core gameplay mechanic can go, and said that xe essentially sees every enemy with the opportunity to kill or spare them, and that it's just a matter of figuring out how to do each one (which is very much the nature of most fights in the game).

In terms of other things you can base a fandom off of (like main characters or the nature of the series itself), I for one like to have a lot of fun creating parallels between these types of things and really strengthening those traits. For example, Doctor Who is a relatively old fandom who, because of his longevity, outlives a lot of his companions, which makes him kinda lonely, so he often seeks out new ones to replace the ones he's lost, but no companion can ever really grasp just how small they are in the life of the Doctor overall, even if he might care deeply about them at the time. He's also a bit arrogant sometimes, thinking a bit much of himself thanks to his years of experience, and sometimes has a bit of a "hah, you don't know nothin', kid" mentality towards younger fandoms, as he may feel that his experiences as an older fandom might make the concerns of younger ones feel like nothing ("nine month hiatus? Hahahah try fifteen years", "a main character died? Haaaah at least they don't kill yours off on a regular basis"). He also loves to remind people just how old and experienced he is -- as if he's just waiting for opportunities to mention his age. A lot of these personality traits can be attributed to the in-canon Doctor (the loneliness/outliving everyone else, the arrogance, wanting to mention how old he is so that he can emphasize how short and insignificant the lives of everyone around him are...), but those same traits can also be explained through his existence as a fandom (he's lonely because he's old and outlives others on a similar scale; he's arrogant because he has been through a lot, so things like losing a main character, hiatuses (even Sherlock-length hiatuses...), and being handed over to a different showrunner aren't nearly as big a deal to him as they are to other fandoms who might experience these things; and he likes mentioning his age because, well... come on, hasn't "it's been running for over 50 years" become one of the show's biggest selling points recently when introducing it to new people? Don't fans just LOVE to say that now, even if they have no intention of watching the Classics??).

Steven Universe is kind of similar -- I based her personality mainly around the main character, Steven, who, as you know, is probably the most kid-like kid character ever, and so, she does have a very child-like personality full of naive optimism, but a lot of that also comes from the fact that she's a relatively young fandom who's been seeing pretty much nothing but increasing popularity from the start, and has yet to really feel the age of being a series that's run for, say, at least five years, having a bit more of a troubled history with more ups and downs.

Hunger Games was based a lot around the idea that fandom characters don't always know how to live up to their canon characters... and this is amplified a thousand fold by the fact that, in the books/movies to begin with, Katniss has no idea what she's even doing, as a combination of impulsive decision-making and just sheer circumstance throw her into a bunch of situations where she has no idea how to please everyone -- and she's basically made into this grand symbol of the rebellion despite having no clue how to actually live up to all of that, which is very similar to how Hunger Games feels about living up to her status as essentially an A Class recognizable name, wanting to be the awesome hero you'd expect from that sort of thing but having no clue what to actually do to live up to that.

Trigun was based almost entirely off of her circumstances as a fandom, though it helps that her main character, Vash, is also super conscientious about the value of life and wanting to protect it. Basically, Trigun's an old fandom who is becoming all too quickly forgotten, and she's concerned about how much time she even has left. And, in the manga, Vash's hair changes color from blond to black as he uses up more and more of his life energy, leaving him with less and less time -- so I gave Trigun the same hair color-changing mechanic, to give her even more of a reason to be super conscious of that sort of thing and to practically start obsessing over how much blonde hair she has left (I mean, if you had a death timer over your head that didn't even seem to progress at a steady rate, you'd be kind of paranoid, too, huh?).

Beatles I didn't have as much room to be clever with, seeing as how the band is pretty much known for the incredible amount of diversity in their songs, so, it was hard to pin down much of any overlying theme... I had to narrow it down to just a few chunks of the Beatles discography that they're probably most known for -- cutesy and light-hearted love songs, and drug-inspired acid trip music. So... he's basically a drug-using hopeless romantic. Also! He's kind of stuck in the past, too, since the band broke up in 1970, and so, it's not like he gets a lot of new content often... I haven't gotten much of a chance to show this in the IC, but I imagine Beatles would actually be mildly sexist (not in an overtly malicious way, but in more of a "you girls shouldn't be putting yourselves in danger like that, this is a man's job!" sort of way), just because a lot of the Beatles love songs have that sort of chivalrous undertone to it, if only because that's just the time period it was written in. He's also kind of out-of-touch with the younger generation and has no idea what any of them are really up to. This is in sharp contrast to Doctor Who, as, despite the fact that the two of them are roughly the same age, Doctor Who is much better at adapting to the times, as that sort of change is kind of what the show is known for. Sooo Doctor Who's kind of the only one keeping him in-touch with the times these days (in fact, early in the IC I mentioned that the Doctor only recently convinced him to get a smartphone, and is still in the process of teaching him how to use it).

*deep breath* Well, hopefully these examples got you thinking, anyway. @_@ You don't have to get as incredibly clever as I was with some of these (lol), so don't worry about trying to compare yourself to me or anything! I just wanted to show you what my thought process was for my fandoms to see if that might spark any inspiration for what you could do with yours. You know, show you the possibilities and all that.

• Useful
Reactions: chillin
KAY SO APPARENTLY MY PHONE LACKS CERTAIN FONTS, WHICH MADE THIS POST VERY CONFUSING AT FIRST.

I'M GLAD I WAITED TO REPLY ON MY ACTUAL COMPUTER.

But seriously though my phone apparently likes to turn Comic Sans into fucking Times New Roman or some shit and I just...?!
Hey, when in Rome do as the Romans do.

Soooo things!

@Gwazi Magnum @JoJo @AquaTheLita @Rithas @Soulless @neobullseye @The Silver Paladin @Raven @chillin

1) I alphabetized the noteworthy locations list like I said I would, since no one had any objections. ...Not that this is anything major or anything. Just wanted to keep you guys in the loop. (And I am most certainly looking forward to the day when I won't have to edit two separate pages anymore just to update that sort of thing.)

2) It looks like I'm ahead of schedule on some things (and feeling pretty awesome about it!), which means I might be able to (re)introduce my free characters early! And, while I was almost certain at first that one of them would be heading in Touhou's direction, now I'm not so sure... because it seems like just about every group here (save for the museum-going party, of course) noticed the explosion from FF's ship, and... could possibly be drawn in that way? I'm not totally sure what you guys were planning on doing. It definitely seems like the Crystal Clods/Dinos and Diamonds/whatever we're calling that group now is going to head over there, but uh, not so sure about the Screaming Group. Also, it definitely makes sense that Touhou would fly on over there, since I feel like it would relate pretty strongly to her mission at that particular moment. But uh... yeah, having all those groups unite at once would mean... a rather large group. o.o Even if all of them do head in that direction, it seems necessary to maintain some semblance of sub-groups, even if that means mixing around which ones are in which group (which actually seems like the best possible idea, really). This works especially well since it means it'll be a lot easier for Chillin to jump in once he's finished with his characters (and it makes a ton more sense than just leaving mine open to interact with his and then just leaving that giant group to its own devices). But, for once, I don't really have a ton of suggestions as to how exactly we would herd our characters around to create this scenario! Sooo I'm asking you guys what your plans were, to see how we can make this work. I can introduce my own free characters whenever needed to help this process along, but uh, yeah. Just kinda trying to start a discussion here so we can work all that out. o.o

3) Rowdybull is still missing, and, I suppose I could easily move him to the drop-out list at any time, but... I suppose he isn't exactly in the way of anything, so, we could keep him around for a while longer to wait to see if he comes back, especially since him technically still being a member isn't exactly hurting anything, so... yeah, just thought I'd ask and see what you guys think.

• Useful
Reactions: Raven
I was honestly thinking Fallen London should be exposed to a bunch of characters, and then pick on any one group that seems particularly vulnerable to them for funsies. I'm unsure what everyone else may be planning, so I can't say much more.

• Thank You
Reactions: Kagayours
Wait, are groups going to merge and divide soon or something?

Wait, are groups going to merge and divide soon or something?
The explosion thing that happened at the crash site caught the attention of all the other groups currently in Fandom Square. Or, at least, the Screaming Group noticed it, as did the Crystal Group, and it makes sense that Touhou would notice, too -- therefore including literally all of our currently active characters (except for those in the museum group). So, if all of them head in the direction of the explosion to investigate... yeah, we'll have quite the massive group on our hands.

Now, ordinarily, an oversized group like this will naturally splinter off into several smaller circles of interactions, even if all those characters are still roughly in the same place (as you might recall happened when a bunch of groups all came together around the TARDIS a while back). But, even with sub-groups like that, large groups can still be very confusing (as you may also recall from that same scene), so, I wanted to try to discuss what everyone's plans were so that we could roughly plan how this is all gonna turn out, in an attempt to minimize the confusion of it all -- especially since, not only am I trying to (re)introduce several characters, but, we also have Chillin working on his CS's, and I don't want to throw a newbie into a mess like that. ...And, even the TARDIS group wasn't as bad of a situation seeing as how those other groups all kind of showed up one-at-a-time, whereas here they'd all kind of be coming together at once...

Edit: Of course, there's no guarantee that everyone was planning on investigating said explosion in the first place, but, it seemed like everyone was sort of leaning in that direction, so, I wanted to ask what everyone was planning on doing so that this whole thing would be a lot easier to manage.

Mass Effect and Star Wars are new, so I'm not sure what I'd so with them yet.

Clannad will likely find this too much and simply leave though.

• Thank You
Reactions: Kagayours
Mass Effect and Star Wars are new, so I'm not sure what I'd so with them yet.
Well, Mass Effect is already at the crash site, so I'm not quite as concerned about her.

As for Star Wars... did you just plan on going along with what the rest of that group does, or...?

I'm not asking for plans that you already had or anything, I'm just trying to gauge what everyone thinks they're planning on doing in the very near future, given the situation.

...Or, if you're not quite sure what your character would do, then your personal opinion on where you want to see certain groups go would also be helpful.

Clannad will likely find this too much and simply leave though.
That's fair.

As for Star Wars... did you just plan on going along with what the rest of that group does, or...?
He'd likely go investigate it once the screaming group calms down.

Not sure where he'd disperse to afterwards though.

He'd likely go investigate it once the screaming group calms down.

Not sure where he'd disperse to afterwards though.
Well, that depends on what all the other groups that head there wind up doing. ...Which is why I'm trying to figure out who exactly is going there so that we can sort things from there. owo

kk. Well consider Star Wars and Mass Effect to be there...
Clannad will run off, Sherlock is at the museum...

RvB... Well, he's been asleep for just about long enough now I'm thinking.

RvB... Well, he's been asleep for just about long enough now I'm thinking.
XD I was wondering if you might soon be giving Beatles something to do...

XD I was wondering if you might soon be giving Beatles something to do...
Well... I can't let him out with the Doctor right there! XD

You know... running a Windows program on a Mac, I suppose I could only expect that it would be a bit... unstable.

But... crashing when I plugged headphones in... that's just sad. ;w;

You know... running a Windows program on a Mac, I suppose I could only expect that it would be a bit... unstable.

But... crashing when I plugged headphones in... that's just sad. ;w;
What? Oh man. Sometimes I hear good things about the flexibility of Mac OS but... then stories like this happen.