G

Gands

Original poster
upload_2017-5-4_22-41-46.png

Gotham City. Since everything changed, it went from being just another crime-infested pit of a city to being the capital of New Jersey - and still crime-infested. Only difference now, is some people get paid by the government to add to that infestation. Politicians. People who think that because people punched a piece of paper saying, I think you're right for this job, that gives them the right to do whatever it is they want, as long as their adoring public never finds out about it. Sometimes even after

upload_2017-5-4_22-53-46.png

Not that Gotham doesn't still have it's share of trashy, slum-ridden neighborhoods. It does, even with that fancy new monorail zipping all around town like some demented theme park ride. I gotta admit though, a lot harder to dispose of a body via train 'accident' when you have to get 30 feet up in the air to do it. These are the neighborhoods that I cover. For some reason, I, and a select few other people, lucky or not, can remember how things were before. There were no Avengers, no SHIELD, no Daily Bugle or Spiderman. Or... and this is going to sound crazy, but there's these turtle guys who live in the sewers across the river. I swear, I saw one. Wearing a mask. Isn't that rich? As if a little swath of cloth across your face was going to hide you were some sort of mutant half human half turtle. People here, they need answers. Thankfully, I can answer them. Who am I? They call me..."

upload_2017-5-4_22-55-40.png

" The Question "

This thread is part of the Epic Mashup clan, please go there and see how to get started.

Last edited by a moderator:
KarolinaBanner002.jpg

Grady tries to assure her that she did nothing wrong. Which is totally sweet of him, but she just has something of a hard time believing. She finds herself looking down a bit as Grady speaks, almost looking like a child being admonished. Experimental ammunition… terrific. And she's the one that got experimented on. And when he says there's a place for her with them… she just smiles a little and looks back to him, her eyes only moving. It's a polite smile, but her features kind of say 'yeah, sure'.

And when he says they'll get her to the roof, she smiles noticeably more. Of course, Molly wouldn't know yet why the prospect is great for her. "Okay, Grady. Take your time." She says with a little nod.

She laughs gently as she looks towards Molly as she speaks then, though her laugh feels a bit strained. "See… what you just said again makes me think I was never cut out for this stuff." When you get shot, when you get hurt badly, it tends to shake your confidence. "You guys use words like… ops and wildcard…" she shakes her head a little and looks away from her slightly now. "I'm not like you or Molly or even that dink Chase… I just don't think I was cut out to be some hero or anything. Or even work security." She says with a sheepish smile, looking back to Molly out of the corner of her eyes.

Molly makes her offer of staying with her, and her head tilts a little to one side. It's odd that such an offer would come so suddenly, well just after they had seen each other after so many years. How does Molly know that she's not some kind of murderer or psycho? But then… it's a good bet Molly(s) could handle whatever would come her way in that regard. "That sounds… amazing. But I'm gonna be a mess for a while, probably. I don't wanna impose on you, not after so long." She says as her smile fades a little. She is about to say that perhaps she would head back to Malibu… but then what? Yes, she still needs to figure out what to do with Molly (Hayes) and Klara… but even they don't really need her. Not anymore. None of her friends, it seems to her, really needs her anymore…

Her eyes drift down a little, towards their still joined hands. "I haven't been to the zoo since that day. Mom and dad just never took me again." She never quite understood why. Yet another mystery in her relationship with her evil parents.

Tagging: @Ms.Ezra, @Gands, @LuckycoolHawk9

Lincoln Campbell

Lincoln sipped on his drink when Grady found him.

"You are most welcome for the call on how Karo was doing. I would have gotten back sooner, but I had to do some runs around the area. I think that would be fine and make her better." He replied to him.

@Gands

"So... bored. I thought after the breakout there'd be more action here. Turns out no one actually escaped. That's good of course, but I really need something Hero-like to do. I'm calling Grady." Stephanie dictated aloud to... well, no one.

She suited up and did a little patrolling first, just so that she didn't seem too needy, and a bit later, from her suit's communicator - conveniently linked to her phone by bluetooth, placed a call to Grady's cell phone.

@Gands

"So, a reschedule with an upgrade then! Excellent, please do let Mr Wayne know I appreciate it. For lunch, by all means. "

He searched for information about the troposphere: the sort of neutral ground at the top of hotels thing. Surely, it meant Wayne was already serious just based on brief former correspondence.

"That's wonderful news, thank you very much sir."

"Excellent, sir. I shall inform Master Wayne right away. Shall we say, Twelve-Thirty? He shall see you then. Had you any other questions for me, sir?"

@Kingof192

Grady Murtaugh aka Corvus

Grady come back from his talk with Lincoln and promptly starts making all the changes necessary to move Karo's bed.
Assuming the others help him, it's quick work to roll her up to the flat sunny roof. Some chairs are fetched and Grady rushes down to his truck to get cold sodas, waters and umbrellas.

" This oughtah help yah cheer up !"

@Camleen @LuckycoolHawk9 @Ms.Ezra

• Love
Reactions: LuckycoolHawk9
Norrin Radd aka Silver Surfer

It didn't take Stephanie long to find one Norrin Radd rather obviously in her path.

"Good evening! I thought it a good thing that you returned to old paths! I hope things are well for you!

@Michale CS

Lincoln Campbell

Lincoln stood back as he waited for Grady to make the necessary changes to Karo's bed in the long run too. He finished his run.

Once he finished his run, he helped Grady roll the cart up to the flat and sunny roof. He sat down on the chair and took a sip of the water that Grady has been brought back with him now too.

" Sunshine is good for anyone," he admitted.

@Gands @Camleen

It didn't take Stephanie long to find one Norrin Radd rather obviously in her path.

"Good evening! I thought it a good thing that you returned to old paths! I hope things are well for you!

@Michale CS

Stephanie startled for a moment then muttered, "You'd think after working with Bats I'd be used to sudden appearances."

She smiled and shrugged. "I'm all right I guess. Taking a semester off - mainly because I couldn't get into the classes I needed to finish my degree. Came back here to stretch my wings a bit I guess?" She lifted her arms and the glide cape came up with them.

"Not that I've done more than basic legwork so far. I've been trying to track down people involved in a recent incident at Arkham, and so far coming up with nothing tangible. So... I thought I'd do a patrol for old time's sake."

@Gands

" It is good to see you nonetheless. You are carrying your confidence again, I am very glad of that. I met your former mentor recently and came away impressed. Is there nothing I can do for you while I am here in town ?

@Michale CS

As Grady sat down, it took him several moments to speak.

I wanted to talk to you all about our options for the near future. As a group. I have my own person issues. As it was said in a movie I like, I have an overdeveloped sense of vengeance at times. I want those two from Ozcorp, now relabeled as ...Uscorp... the two in the helicopter. That being said, Arcade and Riddler are high on my list too. Option three is go back to square one, do routine patrols and grow more into the job with more training. Or, lastly, everyone can tell me to go straight to hell and walk away, before this gets any worse. This is my second time against the Riddler and the second time I walk away with nothing.

He pauses taking a long drink of the water.

Karo, you paid the price in a situation that was both dangerous and bad tactically. For that you have my sincere apologies. If I could have taken that bullet for you I would have. You didn't deserve what happened. For what it's worth, I still think you are pretty damned incredible and would be proud to have you at my side in any situation.

Lincoln, you are terrific. you got the hostages out safe and did your job. Thank you.

He pauses again.

For what it's worth Karo, I think what happened to you is more my fault than yours.

@Camleen @LuckycoolHawk9

KarolinaBanner002.jpg

Karolina is kind of quiet the whole time her bed is taken upwards through the building. She just kind of stares at her feet under the blanket the whole time. Her eyes are half open, she almost looks as if she's not totally there. Which is kind of the truth.

But as they finally come onto the roof proper, she squints a little with the brighter light of the outside. But once her body actually gets into that sunshine… she noticeably perks up. She leans back in her bed and lets out a slow sigh. Chase sometimes poked fun at her… he thought it was amusing how her demeanor often changed when she was exposed to sunlight like this, especially after she had spent most of her reserves. What was it he once said?

'Put her out in the sun and watch her smile'

Very true.

She lays back in her bed, smiling softly with her eyes closed. She can feel her body get warmer, she can feel her body absorbing the sunlight like a dry sponge being tossed into water. One of her eyes opens a moment as Lincoln speaks, and she grins faintly as she nods in agreement. And as Grady returns to the roof, still she just lays there with her eyes closed. But after those few moments of relative quiet, she hears Grady's voice. She hears his tone, rather. Her eyes flutter open, and she sits up a little in her bed as she draws her attention to him.

Intently does she listen to his words, a look of concern upon her features. Everything he says makes sense. But what sticks in her mind before he pauses is the bit about walking away. She finds her gaze drifting from him, her eyes fixating a moment on a distant television antenna mounted on a roof some ways away. But when she hears her name, she promptly looks back towards Grady.

As he speaks, her lips part as if she were to say something. Perhaps to interrupt and correct him. But she doesn't, she lets him get it all out. A look of concern draws across her features, becoming more prominent the deeper into his speech to her he gets. When he addresses Lincoln, her eyes tear away from them both, looking back towards that television antenna. A gentle sigh escapes her lips as now she speaks, still staring away from them both.

"I've been thinking about it… and I think it's more the fault of the fella that fired the Hulkbuster bullet at me."
She pauses as she watches the distance, speaking once more. And once more not looking towards them. "I really do appreciate your pep talk, Grady. I do. This whole… her or vigilante thing… it's never really been big on my list." She now smiles a little as she leans back in her bed, the back of it elevated so she's actually sitting up in it. "I don't know what my life was supposed to be… sometimes I wonder about that. I feel like I shoulda tried harder to be an actress. I shoulda been married by now. There's… a lot of things." She shakes her head a little as now she looks back to them with a small frown. "I don't know what I wanna do, guys. Say what you will, but I really don't think I was cut out for this kind of thing. I know some people find this kind of life amazing… alluring… a couple of my closest friends do. But I… don't…" She shakes her head again, her gaze moving back to her feet as she wiggles her toes absently. She is clearly shaken, still. Understandably. The whole side of her body feels numb, despite the sun. She does feel better than she did inside… but there is still much out of place for her. Both physically and emotionally…

"I don't know what I wanna do, guys. Say what you will, but I really don't think I was cut out for this kind of thing. I know some people find this kind of life amazing… alluring… a couple of my closest friends do. But I… don't…" She shakes her head again, her gaze moving back to her feet as she wiggles her toes absently. She is clearly shaken, still. Understandably. The whole side of her body feels numb, despite the sun. She does feel better than she did inside… but there is still much out of place for her. Both physically and emotionally…

A very polite cough echoes nearby, and a distinguished gentleman steps forth.
latest

"If I may, young mistress. Allow an old man to impart a little of his experience."
He walked up to where Karolina was, and sat on a stool next to the bed. "I've said this before, and it bears repeating, Mistress Karolina. Why do we fall? So that we can learn to pick ourselves up. This is a setback, true, but look at it this way - in the future, you'll look back and think... this isn't so bad. I've had it worse. And that, young mistress, trust me on this, will be enough to lift your spirits in times of trouble. I've had my share of bad I can look back upon and thank God and the stars above that I am now much better off than I was during those times."

He reached out and grasped Karolina's hand briefly. "You're much stronger than you give yourself credit for." Releasing her hand, he had a flicker of a smile for a moment. "Would you care for some tea, my dear?"

@Camleen @Gands

" It is good to see you nonetheless. You are carrying your confidence again, I am very glad of that. I met your former mentor recently and came away impressed. Is there nothing I can do for you while I am here in town ?

@Michale CS

"You've done... a lot for me. Like, way more than I expected. You helped me with the new suit and the upgrades, and Bats has me set for cash for awhile. I'm just doing some legwork for Corvus at the moment. Trying to track down reasons behind what happened at Arkham last night. But, not finding a lot except for a very neat and well paid for paper trail. So, that's why I'm back out on patrol - so I could be doing something to help here." Stephanie shrugged and sighed.

@Gands

"Excellent, sir. I shall inform Master Wayne right away. Shall we say, Twelve-Thirty? He shall see you then. Had you any other questions for me, sir?"

"Well, one thing does come to mind, sir. This is the first I've heard of Mr Wayne giving this his direction attention. I wonder if this is because of any particular need, or if he is just interested in general in my business of engineering the general public some defense against extraordinary forces or even my other mission of employing metahumans to help with it. Both are very customized matters, you see. Outside of that, unless I need a code or some method to actually get to the troposphere I suppose I'll just thank you for your time, Eh?

Reactions: Michale CS
Lincoln Campbell

Lincoln looked over at Karolina and Grady and now Alfred Pennyworth who had also arrived on the bus. They weren't the best team, actually, now that he thought about it, they were just like all of his other teams. People who you didn't expect to work together.

A businessman who provided help and donated to the hospital, a doctor and a lesbian receptionist and an old butler. It was not a common team, but they were just that. A strange and defuctional team. His new team. There weren't moments that he didn't think of his old team. '

Of Daisy, of Fitz and Simmons, of Coulson, of May, of Mack and though he tried to push him aside, Grant Ward. They existed for him only in memories and now was not the time to bring them up to an injured Karolina to ask if her friends had found anything out quite honestly.

" Thank you, I understand how you feel Karo, I have been through this before, I quit my team for a bit, but one way or another, you always wind up back in the mess. Back to your roots and back to a team. It's impossible to avoid. We just got to make the best of every day."

@Michale CS @Gands @Camleen

Grady is quiet a long while.

"Well, I suppose I'd understand if you decided against continuing with this. I am going to work on finding the Riddler so I can personally tear him limb from limb. I really do hope you recover soon and I want nothing but the best for you Karo. Please forgive me. "

With that, he walked back down the stairs, absentmindedly using his cane as he went.

@Camleen @LuckycoolHawk9 @Michale CS

KarolinaBanner002.jpg

Karolina flinches as she suddenly hears another voice. Blinking, she looks in the direction of Mr. Pennyworth… and her initial thought is trying to figure out where the hell he came from. Has he been here the whole time? Just… standing on the roof waiting for someone to show up?

She looks towards Lincoln and Grady, and since they don't freak out she figures this guy is probably not a threat. Karolina just stares towards Alfred, a faintly troubled look upon her features. She hates when strangers try to give her the 'get up and go' pep talk. From someone she cares for, it's a lovely thing. But when some guy just walks up to you and tries to get you to see things for the better… it's just a pet peeve of hers.

And when he takes her hand, she almost immediately pulls it away. Her gaze drifts towards Lincoln as he speaks… and then towards Grady. Before she has time to put words together in her head, Grady walks off. She frowns a little to herself, pulling the sheet covering her body up a little.

"Lincoln we're not a 'team'" She says suddenly looking towards him. "We're housemates that went out on a mission together. That's not a team. You guys barely know anything about me." Her voice gets more stern the more she speaks, it's obvious she's doing her best to keep her temper in check. "And please don't say you know what I'm going through." She says as she stares at Lincoln, and then towards Alfred. "Because you guys really don't. If I wasn't in my real form, I woulda been made into a fine red mist." She points towards Lincoln now, her eyes on Alfred though. "Him I'll tolerate a pep talk from" she then points to Alfred as she continues "But you I don't even know. I don't need some creepy old guy giving me lessons of life. I'm sure you're very wise and whatever, but I really don't wanna hear it right now. And no thank you, I don't want tea. I hate tea." She huffs, having successfully kept her tone even, but stern. She didn't yell, though she wanted to. "Can you guys just give me some alone time? I just… wanna sleep… or something… here on the roof in the sun. I don't mean to sound mean, but I just wanna be alone right now. Just me and sunshine." She says, her voice softening as she slumps back in the bed, her eyes closing as she frowns.

Tagging: @Gands, @LuckycoolHawk9, @Michale CS

though. "Him I'll tolerate a pep talk from" she then points to Alfred as she continues "But you I don't even know. I don't need some creepy old guy giving me lessons of life. I'm sure you're very wise and whatever, but I really don't wanna hear it right now. And no thank you, I don't want tea. I hate tea." She huffs, having successfully kept her tone even, but stern. She didn't yell, though she wanted to. "Can you guys just give me some alone time? I just… wanna sleep… or something… here on the roof in the sun. I don't mean to sound mean, but I just wanna be alone right now. Just me and sunshine." She says, her voice softening as she slumps back in the bed, her eyes closing as she frowns.
"So much like someone else I know. You'll do fine, Mistress Karolina." He was unfazed by her rudeness - compared to Jason Todd and Damien Wayne, Karolina was a saint. He went on his way...

Grady is quiet a long while.

"Well, I suppose I'd understand if you decided against continuing with this. I am going to work on finding the Riddler so I can personally tear him limb from limb. I really do hope you recover soon and I want nothing but the best for you Karo. Please forgive me. "

With that, he walked back down the stairs, absentmindedly using his cane as he went.

"Off to a rocky start, are we sir? If you only knew of the rather ungainly way The Batman began... You compare comparably, sir. This... vocation isn't one easily picked up on. Rather similar to my time in the military. My own start there lead to more casualties than I care to admit. The task you have chosen to undertake is noble in its own way, but at the same time horrendous. However, you may take what I have to say with the same derision I received from mistress Karolina, if that is your desire. That said, if you have any questions or concerns I'm here for you."

Just then, a text from someone that Grady hadn't seen in months popped up - "Grady - just saw something you might want to know about. In the casino I'm working at in Atlantic City. Call me. Rayleen"

Riddler_Arcade.JPG
@Camleen @Gands @LuckycoolHawk9

Lincoln Campbell

Though he wouldn't say it a loud, Karolina's words about them not being a team stung him a little. He considered them some of the closest friends he got and he bit his tongue. It would be fine. " I have to do my runs anyway, I'll check in on you later, just know that we have grown to care about you. And when you want too, we can talk and get to know each other more," he said.

He passed Grady and went back to work, trying to push aside his dark thought, but at least one slipped through. You thought you had friends, ha. All you are good at doing is pushing people away.

He continued to work, until either his shift ended or Grady came to talk to him, whichever happened first.

@Camleen @Michale CS @Gands

Reactions: Gands

Grady had wandered into the alley on the South side of the warehouse being used as a clinic. He had found some ancient looking metal scraps that he had been therapeutically squashing into compact metal balls.

He looked over a bit surprised as the other man showed up. He tilted his head for a moment till he caught the fellows voice. He had heard that voice before, talking to Blue when she asked for the Batwing. He was in fact working with the Bat. Obviously checking up on Karo. He stopped with his odd therapy, giving the other man a polite nod.

" Yeah, it's not been easy starting this business. Even the first time out had mixed results. ( He sighed ). Does it ever get easier ? "

Not long after Alfred's reply, he received a text from a long missing old friend. His eyes narrowed a bit.

"Pardon me please Sir"

He called Raylene.

" Hey, great to hear from you. (Pause ) Really, you sure? That's great ! I will see you in a few hours".

He seems to light up, a gleam in his eye that carried no happiness.

"Will you pardon me Sir, I have a lead. And, thank you "

Quickly he sent out a text to Lincoln and Stephanie.

(("Got a lead on Nygma, Heading to Atlantic City after a quick trip to the house. Anyone want in ???"))

@LuckycoolHawk9 @Michale CS @Camleen