G

Gands

Original poster
upload_2017-5-4_22-41-46.png

Gotham City. Since everything changed, it went from being just another crime-infested pit of a city to being the capital of New Jersey - and still crime-infested. Only difference now, is some people get paid by the government to add to that infestation. Politicians. People who think that because people punched a piece of paper saying, I think you're right for this job, that gives them the right to do whatever it is they want, as long as their adoring public never finds out about it. Sometimes even after

upload_2017-5-4_22-53-46.png

Not that Gotham doesn't still have it's share of trashy, slum-ridden neighborhoods. It does, even with that fancy new monorail zipping all around town like some demented theme park ride. I gotta admit though, a lot harder to dispose of a body via train 'accident' when you have to get 30 feet up in the air to do it. These are the neighborhoods that I cover. For some reason, I, and a select few other people, lucky or not, can remember how things were before. There were no Avengers, no SHIELD, no Daily Bugle or Spiderman. Or... and this is going to sound crazy, but there's these turtle guys who live in the sewers across the river. I swear, I saw one. Wearing a mask. Isn't that rich? As if a little swath of cloth across your face was going to hide you were some sort of mutant half human half turtle. People here, they need answers. Thankfully, I can answer them. Who am I? They call me..."

upload_2017-5-4_22-55-40.png

" The Question "

This thread is part of the Epic Mashup clan, please go there and see how to get started.

Last edited by a moderator:
Grady Murtaugh aka Corvus

Grady, sitting in his chair at first was quite impressed with Lincoln and his demeanor. Quick, easygoing and to the point. Confident in his skills and pleased to have the opportunity.

Then there was Karolina....Seriously the poor girl was nervous as hell. He listened... and listened, mentally taking notes. Flying machines, dinosaurs, other meta humans more than likely. He certainly made on decision. He was going to help these people. But he couldn't just hand them money. He could be... generous though.

" Turns out Karolina, we can use more clerical staff here. The business has been swamped with work orders since the riots. "

Grady sighs, presses a button at his desk. without saying anything, he pulls something out of a secret compartment at his desk. Setting the Corvus mask on his desk he looks at the two people.

" I can use the help, Gotham needs more security".

He put the mask back away.

upload_2017-5-4_23-15-5.png

"Miss Dean, can you talk with Jamie at the front desk, she can get you started. We have a couple of apartments nearby for temporary housing, do you think you will be needing that ? Lincoln, for right now while Karolina is filling out HR paperwork, you can I can walk a couple of blocks over to that clinic. Karolina can come too if she wants to wait on the paperwork. "

@LuckycoolHawk9 @Camleen

Lincoln had learned to be calm and collective over the time he had spent with SHIELD after he had gotten angry because of them. There was a period of time where he was very easy to set off, but he had quickly realized that it didn't do much for him. He knew what he wanted and he also knew how he wanted it.

" I would love to go to the clinic with you. I prefer to know where I am working then having to guess. I shall be fine with whatever you can find for me in terms of housing. I have been moving around so much that I have seen the best and worst places so I am certain that it will be fine."

@Camleen @Gands

Karolina Dean/Lucy In The Sky/L.S.D.
The poor girl frowns at herself as she dwells on her little loss of composure. She's usually not in this bad a shape mentally. But things are taking their toll on her. She had a little meltdown the night before, and now she's being pushed into the deep end of the adult swim. She knows she can handle it, but she just kind of misses how things used to be.

She can handle herself in a fight. She's taken on everything from a man that was made up of a space bee swarm (yuck) to Super Skrulls to giants with 6 fingers and toes. She doesn't break down under pressure… okay that might not exactly be true. But she does fine in a fight, on good days she's quite formidable. But today… well she's not exactly hitting on all cylinders.

Like… she should have put together that he was Corvus almost immediately.

All the clues were there… but most striking were his eyes. She totally should have seen that coming.

Karolina nods promptly as she sits up a little more in her chair. "Clerical staff… like typing and dictating notes and the like. I can do that!" She was actually confident she could. She's watched her parents' assistants plenty of times, and that was almost the same thing, right? She can do clerical work… she's confident she can learn that.

She finds herself leaning up a when he reaches into that secreted away compartment, her natural curiosity taking over her common sense a moment. It's kind of rude to do such a thing, after all. And when she sees that mask, she gives a soft gasp as she slumps back into her chair. "Oh my goodness" she says in an annoyed tone, rolling her eyes at herself. "I knew I knew you from somewhere… I knew I recognized you…" which is kind of true. Her eyes move from his mask to his features as he speaks of Gotham needing security. Huh… has she gotten a day job and a side job in the same hour? Convenient!

"I mean… if I can help, I so wanna." She says with a nod, glancing to Lincoln. "Just tell me what to do…" She pushes herself to her feet as they do, absently brushing the front of her jacket. "No, no if it's okay I'd like to walk with you guys. Maybe I can help at that clinic too. And maybe I can get a look at this place I'm sposed to be security for.." she says with a soft smile, her gaze drifting between the two of them.

Grady Murtaugh AKA Corvus

" Great, lets take a walk then ! "

Grady got up from behind the desk with a smile, grabbing a cane from a hook on the wall near his desk.

Leaving the office, he got a couple of keys from another set of hooks in the receptionist office.

" The clinic is walking distance as are the apartments. "

So, the three of you talk a walk. Through this neighborhood, Grady stops several times to introduce the two of you. The people around here all know him and almost all of them are friendly, the least of which are at least polite. He often stops and asks about problems or issues they might have had previously and things like that.

Eventually you get to the clinic. Grady eventually is shown with you, to an office. You are introduced to Dr. Thompkins.

upload_2017-5-7_22-30-14.png
The clinic itself is a former warehouse type building that has been rebuilt and retasked.

@Camleen @LuckycoolHawk9

Lincoln was silent throughout the walk, stopping to wave hello whenever Grady took the time to introduce him to any person he came across in the neighborhood. It didn't annoy the man as much as it surprised him. He was surprised that he knew so many different people. He bit down on his tongue. " Hello, Dr. Thompkins. I am Lincoln Campbell," he said.

@Gands @Camleen

She follows the guys by a short distance, her hands tucked into the pockets of her light jacket. There's a constant soft smile on her lips as they walk, her eyes taking in all of the atmosphere of this neighborhood. Frankly she's not sure it's really the best neighborhood… in her mind a lot of bad things probably happen here. But maybe that's why Grady said he needed help.

But then her views of the neighborhood could be slightly askew. She grew up in Hollywood, after all.

And each person Grady introduces them to, Karolina gives a big friendly smile and a cute little wave. At least the people seem nice. She listens to what is said in regard to their problems and how things could maybe be improved. That's something she's interested in. Helping these people now. If she's going to be spending time in Gotham City, she wants to be able to contribute. Until she can get back to her friends (her family), this will probably be her life. She wants to help this place with and without her powers.

They get to the clinic, and Karolina looks about the old warehouse in wonder. It's kind of huge, she didn't expect this. She expected some hole in the wall free clinic or something. Again, grew up in Hollywood. "Dr. Thompkins, it's wonderful to meet you." She says in a pleasant tone, reaching out to shake the other woman's hand. "Yeah, I'm Karolina" she says, motioning to Grady since he already introduced them. "If I can help here I would love to, I really need to get my volunteer work back to par, in the least." She says with a nod, her hands once more tucking into the pockets of her jacket. Perhaps so they won't see her fidgeting.

Dr Thompkins at Gotham free clinic.

" This is actually my mother's clinic, I help her out. But I'm certain we could always use the help Mr. Lincoln, and you too of course Miss Dean. My mother and I are both Doctors of course. Come back when you can tomorrow and I'll introduce you to my mother and we can see what kind of help you can provide. Meanwhile, let me show you around. We get a lot of help from the Elite of Gotham of course."

It is a decent sized warehouse, and a bit drafty. But it is very busy a third filled with beds, a third with medical office space. There is a sizeable waiting room. Everything seems in good shape for a free clinic if anyone has visited before.

For what you can tell, Grady seems very comfortable and at ease here, as much as the rest of the area he's had you walk through.

@Camleen @LuckycoolHawk9

Lincoln was silent as he inspected the warehouse to memorize the routes in and out and the areas where things could go wrong. He also stared for another moment to make sure he knew where things were in case of things going wrong. " I would love a tour. I am no rush to start as I need to get settled in. Actually, I need to buy some new clothes for myself to be honest. I am happy to see that this place is run so well."

He waited for a response and took a breath, hoping that he hadn't said anything wrong.

@Camleen @Gands

With that wide smile still upon her lips, she glances to Lincoln when he is mentioned. Mr. Lincoln… that's cute. Like he's the president or something. Once more she tucks her hands into the pockets of her jacket as she listens intently to Dr. Thompkins. But at the same time, she glances towards Grady every few words. The man seems to almost belong here, he's at least very familiar with the territory, isn't he? He must live around here, she would suspect. And clearly, he has a lot of connections…

"I've some paperwork to fill out back at the security company" her gaze drifts back to Dr. Thompkins as she speaks "But after that, I would love to be able to come back. I can't promise to do any brain surgery, but I'll help where I can. I used to do volunteer work at an assisted living facility." She says with a nod.

Glancing to Lincoln with his words, she nods and looks between Grady and Dr. Thompkins "Yeah this place seems kind of amazing. All things considered. I expected way worse." She says with a sheepish smile, a shrugs of her slim shoulders.

"Sorry Dr. Thompkins, give me an hour or so to get my friends settled in to new digs. I'll send Lincoln back as soon as I can."

She smiles " Alright, both of you, please come by any time. If I am missing my mother will usually be here. Thanks again Grady".

The three of you make your way a short distance to a quaint old neighborhood and something of an out of place looking brownstone.

upload_2017-5-12_21-58-17.png

"It's got two bedrooms, two bathrooms, and there is a 7 year old Lincoln towncar in the Garage. Can either of you drive ?

@Camleen @LuckycoolHawk9

Lincoln Campbell

Lincoln smiled and nodded in response to her answer. " Yeah, there are places that are a lot worse that I have been in. Actually worked in a real hospital that was actually much worse. This place is a lot nicer," he said. It wasn't exactly clear if he had worked there or was a resident, but it didn't matter really. There was a certain edge to it.

He looked over at Grady and hoped that he was telling the truth. The last thing he wanted to do was disappoint anyone.

He was also happy that he had permission for two people who he trusted to be able to visit. He missed it. Human connection.

Lincoln silently walked behind the two of the and smiled. He looked at the small house and noticed how out of place it seemed compared to everything else.

" I do know how to drive... I just haven't done it often after an accident, but I do know how to. A Lincoln... how concidental," he said.

@Gands @Camleen

Name: Karolina Dean/Lucy In The Sky/L.S.D.
Tagging: @Gands, @LuckycoolHawk9

As they leave, Karolina walks backwards a few steps and waves goodbye to the Doctor. Today was turning out to be pretty good so far. Despite the fact she's trying to get a job. That's kind of a downer, but still!

Karolina trails behind Grady and Lincoln as they head down the street, her eyes taking in the scenery around them. Eesh… run down indeed. But as they stop in front of the brownstone, she finds herself smiling widely. "Oh how pretty!" It's so… so rural! She wouldn't say that out loud, of course. Frankly she barely thinks it… even though she is shallow enough to.

And when Grady tells them what kind of car it is… she just starts to giggle, her hands covering her mouth as she looks towards Lincoln. After a moment she settles down "Oh that's just perfect! I know howta drive too, Grady." She then draws her gaze to their host, a wide smile still on her lips. "So you've got us dayjobs.. I hope we have them.. but I feel like you're gonna wanna have us help with the… security.. of this neighborhood." She says with a nod, tucking a few strands of hair behind her ear.

Gotham City

Grady shows you both the comfy little house. It has a warm lived in feel to it. There are still a few old pictures of Grady's fathers family. He tells you this is his grandmother's home and most of the furniture was hers. There are two bedrooms upstairs. Both with full sized beds with new bedding, carpet and paint. The kitchen is a bit out of date, but still useable. The stove is older but works fine. The refrigerator is new, as is the dishwasher. There is a washroom with washer and dryer. Outside in the patio is an older freezer, which is working and empty.

Over the next few days you both start getting accustomed to your new jobs and home. Life at the security office starts earlier, maybe 730 / 8 in the morning. While Lincoln's job at the clinic starts just before noon. Karolyn discovers that she can manage office work relatively stress free, at least after day one. Lincoln's job is rather old hat. Both of the doctors, mother and daughter are smart and relatively friendly.

Comparing notes, the two of you believe Grady is financially fairly well off and contributes to the clinic financially. A fact that echoes throughout the neighborhood frankly. The night of Day three after new jobs, he invites you to his own house. A two story brownstone of his own where some of the décor seems stuck in 1978.

Both the office and the clinic are very busy, usually there is very little time to daydream.

At the house, you'll find a jar, with money in it and a note. Repay when you can.

@LuckycoolHawk9 @Camleen

Lincoln Campbell

Lincoln couldn't believe how quickly the time had passed. He remembered how it had only been a few days, but at the same time, he felt like he had gotten into a routine. When they were invited to the house, he was surprised to not find Grady but a note and more money. He wasn't sure what to say. He looked at Karolina. " What do you make of all of this?" He asked.

@Camleen @Gands

The time had passed very quickly, the first few days of her new job were very hectic. But after a bad first day, Karolina seems to have found her groove at the security office. She was given her own little space in the office to do her work… a space that was utterly neat and organized. She and Jamie got along just swimmingly. Between bouts of getting much work done, they would just make little chitchat. Karolina seemed most curious about the woman, wanting to find out more about her.

After all, Jamie is very cute.

And with these past few days, both Grady and Lincoln would have come to realize that Karolina is vegan. One the second night in their new shared home, she made tofu burgers with mushroom-quinoa burgers (the 'meat' made of a mixture of mashed up Portobello mushrooms and some kind of little puffy seeds) with a delicious rosemary mayo. But… she's pretty sure neither of the guys were interested in it. But she loved it. She tries to get Lincoln and Grady to try some of her food every now and again, as if trying to subtly convert them into vegans also.

And she only hit the trashcans with the car once.

Another few days had passed, Lincoln and Karolina find themselves heading to Grady's home. She had expected it to perhaps be an invite for dinner or something… but she finds herself very surprised when Grady isn't actually there. The jar of money is pretty conspicuous, you don't miss that sort of thing sitting on a counter. She looks towards Lincoln a moment with his question, and she shrugs her slim shoulders as she pokes at the jar a couple times. "It's a jar. With money." She then takes the note and reads it out loud. "Repay when you can…" she blinks an turns the note over, as if looking for more. "Is this our allowance or something?" she looks to Lincoln once more curiously, her brows furrowed. "Yeah I don't get it, manno… wonder where he is…"

After a short while an embarrassed Grady was rushing back in with a couple of pizza's. One Veggie delight and one pepperoni with extra cheese.

" Sorry folks, I burned the lasagna so I had to rush out and get pizza. That and I had intended to leave that jar for you at the other house and forgot.

@LuckycoolHawk9 @Camleen

Lincoln Campbell

It didn't exactly take Lincoln long to figure out that Karolina was a vegan. It was especially obvious when she had made the tofu burger and he had eaten it and only threw it away when she wasn't looking. Knowing that she would probably not be happy if he ate meat in front of her, he had taken advantage of the fridge outside and used it for a sparing occasion. He knew that eating meat wasn't something that everyone did, but he didn't have any plans into being turned into a vegan anytime soon. He liked Karolina, but still was not going to change his life for her.

He had picked up the trash cans that she had hit.

" I thought it was just me, but I guess we will find out soon enough." Lincoln had wondered where the man had gone and had gotten his answer when he arrived back. He looked over at him and smiled. " That makes sense."

@Gands @Camleen

Perhaps Lincoln would perceive her serving vegan dishes to the boys as her effort to try and convert them. And should he ask, he would get a very simple answer. She has no wish to make anyone do anything they don't want, nor does she judge anyone for what they choose in that regard.

She gets enough of that herself.

She respects they won't eat fake meat, just as they respect she doesn't eat real meat. She doesn't want to convert them, just maybe make them a meal they haven't had before. Something new, maybe exotic to them. And as for eating meat in front of her… again she respects the fact they're carnivores. She just doesn't share the sentiment, nor does she judge them with ill will.

Karolina turns the jar a little, as if to inspect it for traps. She shrugs once more with what Lincoln says, now standing to her full height, her hands on her hips. "Weird… I hope he's" her words cut off as she hears someone entering. She looks in the direction Grady comes in, and she laughs gently as her form starts to shimmer in a myriad of sparkling, gentle colors. "I thought something smelled weird…" Her form lifts from the floor and towards Grady, the colors making up her form seeming to flow around her like water. She floats around Grady, looking at the pizzas. She gingerly takes one of them from him as she smiles gently to him "Lemme help, Grady." Opening the box a little she sees pepperoni on the one she has, flying gently back towards the counter Lincoln was near. She smiles to him now as she sets the box down, her feet gently landing on the floor now. The vibrant colors dim from her form as Grady sets down the other pizza, and she sees it's a veggie pizza. "Oh yyyay" she exclaims as she immediately picks off an onion, and then a black olive, popping them into her mouth. She plucks a piece of spinach, and eats it quickly before actually getting a slice.

She closes the pizza box as she now leans on the counter, munching on the pizza as she smiles contently. "So the jar is kind of our allowance, huh Grady?" There's no attitude or sarcasm in her tone, it's a genuine question. "Or I guess a loan, right?"

" Well, it's like this. Things happen and I'd rather you had funds to turn to without asking. Call it an if it becomes necessary loan".

He goes to the fridge to pull out an apple pecan salad.

" There are drinks in there to taste. Please help yourselves !"

"Shall we sit and eat ?"