Warhammer 40k: Activated Tactical 492

Status
Not open for further replies.
Eeep, late to the party but my character's all written up now.

Sorry, I choked a bit and it took some doing to get back in the flow =\
No worries. I've been having a pretty shit week myself.

Accepted. There's plenty of time to get your post in, so have fun.

I just wanna be cheeky and point out as my post is being thought of..

Everyone is basically whining.. My feet hurt.. This isn't home.. I'd rather be shootin' xenos..

Gave me a good chuckle as I realized my post was about to be the exact same thing.

Also, @Grothnor , preference on vulgarity? I'd rather not be slinging around obscenities for character's sake if everyone's not cool with it.

No preference on vulgarity. 40k has it's array of made-up 'regional' profanity (feth, frack, gak, etc.) though real swearwords are okay. The driller likes being creative with his profanity/insults as he has had a lot of time to 'hone his craft' and because using the same handful of swears over and over again loses it's edge after a while.

Last edited by a moderator:
  • Thank You
Reactions: Windsong
Personally, I'd look up words that are appropriate to your character's origin if you want some good flavor.

Also... we're stuck in RIP. Whining is what we do!

Posted something to keep the momentum (and the introductions) going. The plot-advancing post is still scheduled for Friday, just to remind you.

Last edited by a moderator:
  • Useful
Okay, GM post is up, feel free to react to the news, interact with your new squadmates and peruse the new NPCs' sheets. The next GM post will be on Tuesday, so please get your posts done by then. I'll be giving more details on the current situation then as well as reveal who we'll be fighting.

A few note on your NPC squadmates: Feel free to control them however you like, so long as it's done reasonably. I don't wanna have to revoke anyone's rights to control NPCs. :P If you want to add details to their personalities/histories, feel free, again so long as it's done reasonably.

• Useful
@Grothnor

Would the RIP unit issue Bridget a Sentinel, or is she just going to be another bloody infantryman with a lasgun and flak armor?

You're all going in as infantrymen; your gear will be issued in the next post.

I'm just presuming we all had a training Las-gun or something provided to us for the time being as I'm going to use it for exposition and a little bit of character interaction.

I'm working under the assumption that even graduates of PDF bootcamp know which end of their lasgun makes the pretty lights

I'm working under the assumption that even graduates of PDF bootcamp know which end of their lasgun makes the pretty lights
While that is true, there's a difference between understanding, practice and total comprehension. As a engineer and weapon-maker hobbiest the yes, I know which end of a gun goes bang and fires the bit of metal. but I fire better, work better, and honestly feel more at home with the weapons I made myself, because I know every inch of that weapon, inside and out. I know every sound, every little oddity. I know that if it makes a particular noise when I squeeze the grip that the gun will behave in a slightly different way from normal this time. This is what Alexander is trying to instil in Felk. that and he's trying his best to get the new guy over his nerves.

If the intent of your post wasn't to ask what the fuck I was doing in my post please ignore this post. I've not slept for several days due to sickness.

It was a joke, making fun of the fact that their weapons are about as effective as a flashlight.

It was a joke, making fun of the fact that their weapons are about as effective as a flashlight.
Ah, sorry man. sleep dep totally mauls my sense of humour.

EXCUSE ME.

And yes, RIP does teach everyone how to use a lasgun, basic marksmanship and other Guard basics.
......I'm not going to start this argument. The simple fact is your average guardsman won't have acess to anything byond a lasgun and every other creature or fighter in the galaxy has armour or regenerative capabilites that make a lasgun look like a flashlight. If we take the general database as cannon. which I presume we are, the worst a normal lasgun can do is burn the paint on a space marines power armour, a long las can do damage of 2mm. (I won't cite references, as there are no references sited in your article). a ork can take a full barrage of las fire before finally dieing. and lets not even get started on shit like chaos or mega-nobz because I'd take a fucking auto-cannon any day. Mind you I'm the sort of person who's reaction to anything other than a swarm of 'gaunts or a titan is 'just point a plasma cannon at it and see how long it lasts'
The point is, Yes, against a unarmoured, human being a lasgun is a fantastic weapon. and from a logicstical standpoint it is perfect. but the moment you put it up against say.....a Warrior brood, or a Tau Firewarror it becomes little more than a glorified flashlight. IF you could arm a entire regiment with bolt guns, or lets get REALLY hypothetical and say you could arm them all with 50% melta guns and 50% plasma guns I think that you would, for the simple reason the IMMENSE increase in raw firewpower would trump the usefullness of the lasgun. You'd have 4 squads of frontline guys with lasguns, 2 squads with the long range weapons like heavy bolters and such and 2 squads of 'special weapons' with enough firepower to melt the face of a carnafex.

back to my original point. The lasgun, while seeming to be pretty good when you point it at a test dummy, 9much like a lot of modern weapons), turn out to just not work out as you wanted them to.

Ok....so when I am sleep deprived I appear to be pretty good at slightly jippy arguments with logic. woo!

Eh, probably should have added a ':P' to the end of that 'EXCUSE ME' cuz' I meant it in a silly/playful way.

ARGUMENT OVER. IM GOING TO BED.

Well...

Don't underestimate lasguns. And Ork /can/ take a full barrage before dying, but one shot from a laspistol could also fell and Ork. A space marine's armor will protect them from lasfire, which is why guardsmen are instructed to aim for joints when fighting the traitor legions, because a lasgun is wholly capable of defeating them at that point. A reasonably talented guardsmen is capable of defeating any foe with a lasgun (provided they survive long enough). This is not to say that other weapons do not have their bonuses.

Plasmas, meltas, etc, are really useful, but in a mass battlefield they can be as dangerous to your own troops as the enemy. They have a tendency to explode when taking damage, they overheat, they require rather large firing lanes so they don't burn the face off of your friend, and most have terribly slow rate of fire and low accuracy at the best of times.

Lasguns are the all-around best weapon a guardsman can wield and expect to have optimum efficiency when confronted with every situation.

• Nice Execution!
I'm gonna have to postpone my post until Wednesday. I've been creatively strapped recently and have had a difficult time writing up a post. I apologize for the delay.

Status
Not open for further replies.