The Wolf Pack

Status
Not open for further replies.
Achilleus snorted. ' Hm, yeah. That's all good, but what kind of brainwashed world do you live in huh? ' He asked, his muscles taunt and showing. ' You need some sort of order. Show who's boss and who's weak and useless. ' He stared at all of them.
' No ones useful here. Apart from me. Because I'm top fighter. '
He didn't smile, but he didn't frown. His eyes were fixed on Trea steadily.
' The names Akkie. ' He said, pawing the ground.

Trea raised an eyebrow. "Oh, they know that I'm the boss. I just don't exercise my power unless it's needed. If they were weak and useless, I wouldn't have recruited them." She raised an eyebrow at him, looking down at him. "Top fighter, hmm? Seems like you're giving yourself airs. You're interesting." she said, her voice remaining monotone as always. "The name's Trea. I'd appreciate if you'd remember I possess the combined power of Dark Night and Black Dawn. I believe you've heard of the twins."

Ferrin padded out by Galenia's shoulder, his silvery pelt contrasting with hers. Though his mind mapping wasn't top notch, he was still wise and witty. His suspicions had been roused when those wolves came in, but lying low meant attracting no attention, so stirring doubt would have been a bad move. Now he was alone with the she-wolf, though, he felt he could seek her opinion on the matter.
"What are your thoughts on those stranger wolves?" he asked, keeping his sapphire irises on the path ahead, which was illuminated by the half-moon.

Kona paced back and forth, her thoughts turned to her awful curse. Beneath her fur, at each shoulder blade, an uncomfortable heat was beginning to form, and she knew it was the start of the agonizing transformation that the demons had thrown onto her as a pup. Her jaw ached with the promise of new, razor-like teeth. Her eyes fell shut and she felt hot blood pour forth into them. Her resistance to the change only made the pain stronger, and her loneliness quickened the morphing. She whimpered. The blood stung her eyes as it worked its way into them, dying them scarlet beneath her lids. Hanging her head in shame and pain, the curse within her started to force its way through her.

Here!

Galenia sighed. "They look shady. Cesar can determine for certain whether or not they're trustworthy, but I only like the one Kenna recognised. Grenade, his name was. I think she has a past with him from someplace or another, although neither of them can remember." Her light blue eyes turned to regard the moon, just peeking through the treetops above her. "It's such a strange thing. They've popped up out of nowhere, yet they make perfect sense." Her gaze fell back down to the ground, sad and regretful. "Although I can't tell for certain if the forest is really disappearing or not. We used to have a member that was so finely attuned to the forest that we called her 'the Forest Princess'. She could control the forest at her will, but she didn't abuse these powers. She would have been able to tell, and this whole thing could have been dealt with already."

Ferrin's eyes wandered from the path ahead and through the trees.
"I can't say they're lying outright," he settled on saying. "I just get the feeling that there's something a little 'off' about them. Like you, perhaps." After a pause, he added sensitively (unsure how strong the bond between Galenia and the wolf was): "Who was the wolf you speak of? The one who spoke to the forest?"

((I think I get who you're referring to, and I was just thinking of bringing her back... xD))

(Thought you might xD)

Galenia nodded thoughtfully, deciding not to comment further. "She was called Karma." The blonde she-wolf smiled fondly at the memory. "We met her on accident. Quite an amusing encounter; she was spying on us after stumbling upon us, and I believe it was Kenna who spotted her. She was startled, and so fell down right into our midst. Since then we trained her up. Trea was impressed with how she fought, and how she could work with the forest so well. Karma was always kind, even if she needed a little encouraging now and then. Agro and Warrior often fought over her, which made everyone else laugh. And then one day she just disappeared." She shook her head, and looked ahead. "Ah, we're nearly here."

((No but seriously, I've been planning to write her in, and then you mentioned her! :3))

Ferrin turned a corner and instantly saw his best friend - a timber crumple on the ground.
"Kona!" he cried, breaking into a run as he bounded over to where she lay. But as he neared, he slowed down, noticing how her claws shone like blades in the moonlight.
"Oh, Kona, no," he said breathlessly, kneeling by her.

Kona lifted her head slowly and opened her eyes, focusing them on Ferrin.
"You came back for me," she whispered. "I thought you'd abandoned me the first chance you had." Her eyes were crimson, but the curse had not taken full effect, and the wings that would come later had not yet arrived.

Ferrin knew it wasn't too late, and he gently muttered to her until her irises cleared of red.

((That was kind of rushed, but I've got my new wolves all prepped and I kiiinda want to use them. The way I've thought of it, they'll meet up with Trea and that lot?))

(I'm magical like that xD)

Galenia padded over, concerned. She'd seen the irises, and felt a flash of recognisation. Her twins tails flicked as she kept her distance a safe way away, but sat in a position that showed she meant no harm. She was sure she'd heard of that curse before. As for a placement or cure, she wouldn't know about until she knew for certain what it was. There were plenty that caused red eyes, but pure crimson? This was new. Ah, if only they'd had a medicine wolf...
Sylvia chuckled darkly as she messed around with spells and potions of all varieties. She wondered when she'd be allowed to free her Uncle.

(Yeah, that seems fine xD)

"The fire needs rekindling," Caila said softly to her two companions, who sat around the dying flames. "I'll fetch wood, or it won't last the night." She rose to her paws, glancing at Athene (who had distanced herself and kept silent for the past hour) before trotting into the thicker trees to search for fallen branches.
Though her pale blue eyes were milky with blindness, Athene seemed to know exactly when Caila had disappeared from sight. Moving startlingly fast for one who had spent so long sat still, she cleared the fire in one well-planned leap and landed almost silently in front of Frostpine, who paused in his food preparation to look at her.
"It is time," she said, her pure white fur taking on a golden gleam in the firelight. "You have earned it."

"First of all," the blue-tinted male said, amusement lacing his voice. "That jump was extremely dangerous. Caila would kill you if she found out you did that."
"Caila won't know," responded Athene, nudging her comapnion's muzzle affectionately. "She underestimates me, anyway. She is protective. But that's not what we're going to speak about."
Frostpine swallowed and shifted his paws.
"Go on, then."

"Mawe," announced Athene, her jaw lifting into a wry smile.
"Mawe?"
"You know your role in the upcoming disturbances requires you to embrace your gifts, and using your True Name will aid you in doing so."

((I know, I know, it's a little cryptic - hold on.))

(Seems like something that you would type, it's fine XD)

Galenia watched silently. Now that she thought about it, the crimson eyes did seem familiar. It reminded her of a story her mother had told her, when she was just a pup. But she couldn't remember much of the story.

Frostpine mulled over the name for a few moments, before smiling. Since the day he'd been taken under Athene's paw, he knew he would in the end receive his True Name.
"It's nice," he settled eventually. "Thank you."

The white wolf bowed her head gently and touched her nose to Mawe's.
"Believe it or not, Caila was just like you," she said softly. "Troubled. Afraid. Confused. But she has since trained with me, as you have, and embraced everything. Just as you did, she had reasons to want to change her name and leave her identity behind. Look at her now..."

Mawe could see that Athene's pretty young face had crumpled into a distressed frown.
"She will have to face her demons," she said after a pause. "We will return her to wolves of her past. It must happen. It is the way." Athene lifted her head and stepped back from her companion, sensing the onset of the other.
Right on cue, Caila trotted back into the firelight, her pale brown pelt shimmering in the blaze.
"Nice to see you're not being so antisocial," she commented wryly to Athene, getting to work on nudging branches into the fire.

(WAITWAITWAIT IS SHE KARMA)

Galenia blinked, tilting her head. No, she definitely knew of the curse. Her mother had told her of the story. No cure, but there was a way to reign it in and control it. If only she could remember!

"Caila, this is Mawe," Athene smiled and pushed Mawe forward, inwardly relishing these last moments of peace and happiness.
Mawe, embarrassed but chuckling, bowed dramatically to Caila.
Caila laughed sweetly at her friend's antics.
"So you finally got your name!" she grinned, and the trees seemed to bend down to hear her words.

The blue and brown wolf just nodded with pride, and he padded over to assist Caila with the fire.
Athene sat back, holding her breath as she did when she was thinking hard. Finally, after a few painful moments, she stepped forward.
"Caila, Mawe," she said, her voice taking on a shadowy tone. "The dark has come."

Caila was usually so full of jokes and fun, but now she was silent, dragging her heels at the back of the tiny pack. They padded through the forest, and with every step Caila thought of the crumpled faces of those she loved at the end of it. She'd always known one day she would have to return, but she feared she would be rejected by her old pack for abandoning them. How could she possibly explain to them all that had happened?
Mawe stared down at the leather bands around his front left paw as he walked. They were the only reminder that he had of his pack, lost to flames and shadows. Now his name had gone, though he'd wanted that to happen. He just couldn't bring himself to take the bands off. He had also known that a darkness was enveloping the forest, and Athene kept seeing it in the flashes of future vision she had beneath her blindness. Now it was finally here.
Athene halted the two wolves following behind her.
"Here lies the pack grounds," she murmured. "They converse with another group. I've seen it playing out before. I've seen that we must deliver Caila safely back to them, and if she is accepted, her training will allow her to help them avoid the shadows. Just like our ancestors, dancing with darkness, Black Dawn and Dark Night and Foxglove and Moonlight and Bird and all." Her mutterings were barely audible. She padded a few steps forward, and then lifted her head and howled loudly. They would know they were here.

Trea's head lifted.
Tibald stepped up, nodding to Trea. Him and Agro politely excused themselves, and ran toward the howl.
Agro was somewhat excited, but apprehensive at the same time. Who could it be?

(G2G xD)

Freak and Deake nodded. ' Yeah. You should see the guys back home though. We've got all sorts down there. We have a deaf mute wolf, we have lame wolves, everyone is with us down there. '
Deake nodded his head, agreeing. ' Yeah. Like a big fucked up community. ' He chuckled slightly.

Oops. Commented after the ran off. xD Lets just say they shouted that after them.

Achilleus nodded at Trea. ' Yeah, but what's that got to do with anything? ' He asked, raising an eyebrow.
' Yeah sure, I'm descendant from the sky wolves. That don't make me any more powerful than I already am. ' He waved a paw while he was talking.
' But I like your attitude Trea. You must keep a tight ship going. ' His posture seemed to show a little more respect than it did earlier, and his ears where sharp and pointed, unlike before.
' Because I like you Trea, I'll let you in on a secret. '

Mawe shifted his weight, lifting his muzzle and fixing his eyes ahead. If the stranger-wolves wanted to fight, he'd be ready to attack. His pastel blue head bled out into a rich brown by his neck, resuming the startling sky colour only on his paws. His pelt was long and wavy, as was the style in his home pack.
I mustn't think of them, the young male reminded himself. He'd left that life long ago, joined a new group with Caila and Athene, run away from his old ways through choice. Glancing back, he stole a look at Caila as she nervously pawed the ground, her defined cheekbones flushed pink beneath her pale brown pelt. He let out a quiet sigh. Caila, the mystery. Caila, the one who kept her distance. Many a time he'd tried to shake off the slight crush he had on her, but she'd only go and entice him again with her large green eyes, which shone like orbs and seemed to hold the whole forest in their reflection.
Athene, seeming quite relaxed, wrapped her flowing white tail around her similarly snow-coloured paws as she sat down. Her pupil-less blue eyes were milky with the blindness she had been born with. Flicking her ears, she heard the sounds of Mawe moving his paws, and sensed he was worried about what was to come. It was true, information had been elusive and usually nonsensical in the rare instances it was available, but she was not playing games with them. It was just that her power could not see further than these scraps of the future. All she knew herself was that Caila had left her old life willingly, to help her and train her power in the forest. Mawe had abandoned his birth pack because he had wanted to, and by her side he'd become strong, sharp and mature, no longer the leggy adolescent he had been. Somehow, the two had a place in the forest's future. But so did these wolves, the pack they were waiting to meet. Athene's shoulder blades shifted beneath her thick snowy fur.
Caila thought she might be sick. All those moons ago she had fled the pack, terrified for both her own life and the lives of her packmates. Then Athene had found her, as if she'd been searching for her all along, and Caila resolved that discovering the wise, blind she-wolf had been the best thing that could have happened. She promised her a new name, training to strengthen her power, and consoled the frantic wolf that everything would be okay. Looking back on it, the pale brown female smiled a little, realising she'd saved Athene as much as Athene had saved her. But now she had returned. Undoubtedly she'd be recognised, though her face had thinned and her muscles rippled with newfound strength, evidence of which could be seen in the glimmer of her eyes. Would they take her back? That was what Athene wanted. Was it what she wanted, though? To leave her peaceful life and run into her old one, filled with tragedy, conflict and magic? She heard footsteps, her fluffy brown ears twitching at the noise.
I guess we'll find out, she thought as they neared.

Trea nodded her head. "I exercise as much control as is needed. They know not to step out of line." Her ear perks up, interested. "Go on?"

Agro crashed through the trees, having tripped over a root, and landed square on his back.
Tibald jumped down next to him. "Oh, come on. I thought you got you trained against that?"
"I'm a fighter, that doesn't entail agilty. You know that." He stood up and his eyes widened. "K-Karma?"

Caila felt her face flush furiously red, and she couldn't help but turn her back on Agro and Tibald. The look on Agro's face was enough to puncture her heart, and she couldn't meet his gaze, so she looked away, into the trees.
Mawe's pelt bristled at the strangers, though they'd been expected. He stepped forward, willing to protect his tiny pack, teeth bared and eyes fixed on the two male wolves.
"Don't take another step," he growled. "If you go near her -"

"Hush, Mawe," said Athene softly, and though she spoke gently it was enough to cut the young wolf off. "This is Caila's moment now."
Caila stared up at the leaves in shades of burnt orange, pastel yellow and flaming scarlet. Tears laced the bottom of her emerald irises as she remembered her hurried, quiet disappearance from the pack. She couldn't face them. Not after the way she'd hurt them.

Tibald blinked. "It is her." He smiled gently. "Hey, Karma...it's nice to see you again."
Agro stood up and shook himself off, and chuckled lightly. "We've all missed you, so it's great to see you're OK and doing well."

Status
Not open for further replies.