Daisy had started overthinking in the car from the liquor store to her home. She had purchased a bottle of vodka, and a bottle of relatively nice red wine while he had chosen his beer. She didn't plan to get overly drunk with him around, not trusting herself to not break down again, but in front of him this time. Nor did she trust herself to get drunk and not spill everything to him. He had one of those faces that, as she saw him more and more often, were just so soft and reliable. It was like he was just begging her to have faith in him and reveal all.

But that wasn't the only thing she was overthinking.

How messy was her home? Did she leave any plants out in the lounge or the dining room or hallway? Did she put the laundry away? Oh god, what if she had dropped a pair of underwear on the floor without realizing? What would be more mortifying? A pair of her comfortable, granny-panties or some lace thong? Her cheeks flushed at the mere thought. Oh god! What if he thought that her inviting him back was an invitation for something? Wasn't that what people her age were like these days?

No. No. Daisy stop it. Besides, James wasn't like that... or didn't seem like that kind of person. Damn, was she out of practice when it came to any form of... dating.

Daisy pulled into the driveway of her house, climbing out with her plastic bag soon after, before motioning for him to just pull up behind her. The driveway as long enough.

"So... this is me." She said awkwardly as she hovered on the driveway, fiddling with the bag as she began to try and push the events of that evening from her mind. That was also what the vodka was for if all else failed.

It was a cottage-like, one-bedroom house that she had purchased after saving for years and years. Not the mention the sum that Judy left behind for her that Daisy put toward her flower shop, some of the leftover went into the house. It had a kitchen, adjoining dining room, lounge, downstairs and upstairs bathroom (just upstairs with a bath/shower) while downstairs had a separate room with glass panel doors that led into garden where Daisy did her 'work'. The bedroom was upstairs.

Clearing her throat, Daisy head up to the front door to unlock it and venture in. "Make yourself at home," she told him over her shoulder, dropping her keys into the bowl on a table just to her side. The house was lightly coloured, with pastels and earthy shades. "Bathroom is just through there, if you need it," she motioned to a nearby door, "And the lounge is through there," she motioned to an archway. "I'll be right back... I'll just get us some glasses and a corkscrew for myself." She finally gave him a small smile, kicking off her brown boots and slipping through to the kitchen.

Daisy Hood's home.jpg

(Daisy's lounge - Daisy Hood Lounge Items (Brief Concept)
Daisy's date outfit - Daisy Hood Date Night Outfit )

• Love
Reactions: Saren
Daisy's house suited her: it was small and unassuming, but it had a charm on the inside that he could see even in the dark. It was much like her, really. James had seen that there was a person underneath the flippant flower store owner, and he wanted to experience more of that. Perhaps the beer in his hand might help himself open up, but he had to be careful, sober or drunk. There were things he simply couldn't tell her... or anyone, for that matter. Only his mother was privy to such information, and it had destroyed her.

Dammit, James, knock that shit off, he scolded himself as he followed Daisy up to the door. He hadn't missed the way she lingered outside, as if she was reassuring herself that she was really inviting a man into her home. He couldn't really believe it either, but it was better this way. The party would have been perfect without the addition of Lewis, but that was something he couldn't change. He could only hope that Marie would understand... and not grill him for answers on Monday when he went back there. Daisy's past wasn't his to discuss, even if he did want to know more. She'd gone through her own traumatic experiences, and the only way he knew how to help that was by talking, even if he couldn't do that himself. Maybe Daisy could benefit from such a thing, so he gripped his six pack a little tighter and steeled himself as they walked inside.

The inside was quaint with all kinds of muted, earthy tones. The atmosphere wasn't unlike her shop, which made him think that she was never quite without her flowers. It was an odd set up for a house as it had an upstairs, but it was cozy in a way his apartment could never be. It was the sort of place his own mother might have liked; it was certainly far less dreary than the plain walls of their temporary home.

He followed Daisy's motions, sliding his shoes off and looking around. There wasn't much need for a glass with this terrible beer he'd bought, but he appreciated her gesture nonetheless. She was doing her best to make hospitality, which was something he rarely - if ever - did.

He sat down on the pale gray couch, setting the beer on his lap and twisting one of the cans from the plastic. He cracked it open, choosing not to waste time and take a few sips. He nearly grimaced at the hoppy taste, but it was better than nothing. It was something to soothe his growing nerves. He didn't have a reason to be nervous, but the feeling lingered anyway.

"It's a nice place you've got here," he said, speaking to her even though she was a room away. "Much nicer than my own place... have to say I'm a little jealous of you."

• Love
Reactions: Viverescribere
Pop!

Daisy startled a little as his voice sounded from the lounge just as she was working the cork from the wine bottle, raising her gaze to the archway of the kitchen. "Thank you." She called through in answer, collecting the two glasses and her wine bottle, juggling it all as she tucked the bottle of vodka under her arm.

She wondered just how this night was going to go. Lewis had brought up a lot of bad memories of her past, and undoubtedly James had questions regarding the whole situation. However, he hadn't outright asked them... or at least not yet. He could have just been waiting for a more private setting before asking her more difficult questions. It wasn't something she necessarily needed at that moment, Judy Hood had been the only one that knew the full extent of her secrets. And now that elderly woman had passed away, Daisy had no one to confide in. After the events of that night, she realized how truly exhausting that was. How tiring it was to have to carry everything on her shoulders without anyone to talk to and lean on for support.

Daisy began to wonder what it would be like to have James there for support, to be able to divulge simply everything to him. Her brow furrowed as she walked toward the lounge, shaking her head slightly. That could never really happen, could it? She didn't know how he would respond if she ever told him that she had an earthy superpower, and that's why she was so successful in her business and so aloof with other people. She never knew who she could trust or who she ought to hide away from. What if he turned her in? Because that was still a possibility now, wasn't it? If he turned on her, or became afraid of her. A small stab of hurt spread from the center of her chest and outward at the idea of James being scared of her and leaving her, of betraying her.

You barely even know him. Daisy warned herself, just as she stubbed her big toe on the bottom of the archway leading into the lounge.

"Oh, ow, shit!" She breathed, stumbling to the one side and doubling over briefly as she forced herself to keep hold of the bottle of wine and vodka, along with the two glasses. "Sorry." She quickly apologized soon after, straightening after the pain had subsided and walking over to coffee table.

After setting everything down, Daisy hesitated as she wondered where to sit - beside him, or on the other free sofa. Eventually she plucked up the courage to sit down on the same sofa as James. She poured herself the first glass of wine of the night, before tucking her feet up underneath herself and leaning back into the sofa cushions.

"So... what topics are safe for us to dive into?" Daisy joked lightly after finishing half of her glass in a the first few gulps, knowing she'd need the help of alcohol for the time being. "I can... only apologize for tonight. I probably ruined a perfectly planned night you had arranged, huh?" The one corner of her lip pulled into the beginnings of a faint smile, "And bringing you back here... will your mother be worried?" She realized how juvenile that may sound, but it was too late to word it better.

• Love
Daisy thanked him, but he wasn't even sure where the second part of his compliment had come from. He didn't hate his current position, and it allowed him to take care of his mother, but his life felt... boring. Uneventful. Not that he really wished to have a ton of excitement or anything, but he hardly ever left his house unless it was for work. He had reasons to complain, but it wasn't right for him to put even that little burden on someone else, especially not someone like Daisy. She already had a lot to worry about, and it was clear that she liked to be alone. The fact that she had even invited him over was remarkable, but he was glad she did. It gave him a reason to stay out, to feel like he had a social life every once in a while.

Her sucked in swear had him shifting to stand, but she apologized and managed to keep her hold on her drinks. He was surprised that she even brought so much out, but he wasn't about to stop her. She'd had a rough night, and he didn't blame her for wanting to turn toward the comfort of a bottle.

James watched her hesitate ever so slightly before she sat down next to him, but he wasn't sure if it was him or her. He had been averse to touch the last time they'd brushed hands, but he hadn't wanted her to feel the abnormal heat level in his fingers. His power was something he knew he'd never be able to explain to anyone... no one normal like Daisy anyway. If he ever met someone else like him, he wasn't sure what he would do.

"No, please don't apologize," he assured with a slight shake of his head. He would have tried to convince her more about that before she asked about his mother. He paused, catching his bottom lip between his teeth and chewing before he felt like he could answer.

"I hope not." There was a sincerity in his voice that he only adopted when he spoke about his mother. "I told her a few times that I would be out late, and while plans changed here, it doesn't change what time I will be going home. I'm... trying not to worry about it." He gave her a bit of a crooked smile before he took a too-long drink from the beer can.

"Really, I should be the one apologizing. If I'd known that the party wasn't going to go so well, I would have suggested something else."

Daisy's eyes lowered as he once again mentioned the disastrous events of that evening. Of course it wasn't exactly what either of them had planned to happen. But how were either of them to know that the evening at Marie's gathering was going to turn out in such a way? The only thing Daisy was grateful for was that her abilities weren't outed in that moment, that would have been a complete travesty. If anyone nearby dared to believe Lewis' words or were suspicious enough to investigate into her... Daisy was too terrified to even think of what could happen to her in the future.

"You weren't to know." She eventually said softly, running a finger around the rim of her wine glass. "How could you have known? I can only imagine that you had a completely different evening planned for us." Daisy dipped her finger into the red liquid, before realizing what she had done. She then quickly sucked the wine from her finger before chasing it down with another two, hearty gulps.

A part of Daisy wondered if she should have been stronger in that situation. If it wasn't for her being so easily influenced and affected by Lewis, they could still be at that family gathering of Marie's. He could have been enjoying himself. Yet there they were, in her modest home with cheap alcohol and tiptoeing around topics that they weren't even sure were safe to breach. She was a mature, independent and successful business woman that should have thrown Lewis' apology back in his face, turned around, and walked away. She should be near the warmth of the fire, with the earth under her feet, chatting and growing more confident with James. Because he seemed like such a wonderfully sweet guy. He gave up his evening to take her home. He made sure she was okay, and gave her the space she needed to calm down. It was like he had experience with panicking women. Perhaps that was what the issue was with his mother...

Realizing she had gone into a bit of a trance, Daisy snapped herself out of it and focused back onto him. "I'll give us a second chance." She smiled faintly, "I mean, a second date. I'll happily try another... social setting with you again. Because we never actually called this a date, so another meet-up? Another..." She trailed off, unsure how to define their interaction so far. James had invited her out after all, but could this be called a date? "I'm sorry I wasn't very... warm the first time or two you came into my store." Daisy then apologized, eyes dropping again until she forced herself to look back up to him so he could see the sincerity in her gaze, "I was pretty much a bitch, I realize that now. Let's say I'm trying to... work on that."

• Love
James knew Daisy was trying to absolve him of guilt over the party, but there was still a sourness in the back of his mind about it.She was right; he couldn't have known what would happen, but that didn't mean he had wanted her to feel that way. She'd been crying and distraught over the whole situation, giving off one of the worst first impressions he'd ever seen. Lewis, despite apologizing, hadn't been able to repair the damage he had caused all those years ago. Daisy was going to be hurt for a while after this, and all James could do was try and be there for her.

"I did, but... I can't change it now," he said with a shrug, watching her finger tip into the glass before she licked the wine off and drank some more. She was cute, even when she was a little flustered. He hadn't been on a date in years, and it was clear that Daisy wasn't exactly comfortable around a lot of people. That was something that didn't matter to him. James didn't like being around a lot of people, always getting that itching feeling that someone might be watching him. He didn't mind that Daisy liked to hide behind her plants and surround herself in nature. Even in her own home, she couldn't escape the need to have plant life all around her. It was endearing to him; she had a fiery passion for her store and what she did.

"I'll give us a second chance," she said, and he glanced up from his bottle to see her small smile. She wanted to try again, to make sure that another meeting of theirs wasn't interrupted by a random person from their pasts coming to mess it all up. He wanted that too, and he hoped neither of them would have to experience what Daisy did tonight. James couldn't imagine meeting anyone from his past again. As far as he was concerned, that life was over, and he was doing all he could to start a new one.

"It's okay... really. I know it can be hard to have a repeat customer who's interested in more than just the plants," he said with a slight chuckle. "I can't imagine you treat all your customers that way anyway. Maybe I was just special." He took a swig of his beer, leaning back on the couch with one arm behind his head. Hazel eyes glanced her way, and there was the barest hint of a smirk on his face. The expression softened slightly as he saw the genuine look in her eyes, and he continued, "I'm glad that you feel like this is worth a second chance. Maybe next time, we can just find a spot for the two of us... I probably shouldn't get my own employer involved in my relationships. She'll just hound me about you for days if I do."

• Love
Daisy's lips quivered for a moment until they finally won the battle and a warmer smile broke out. She ducked her head and lowered her gaze, fingertips stroking the stem of her wine glass. Interested in more than just the plants, isn't that what he just said? So he was interested in her? But of course he had to be slightly, didn't he, if he asked her out? How he had been interested in her when she had been so horrid to him during their first few encounters, Daisy will have no idea. But there they were, sat on her sofa with cheap alcohol after a disastrous first date... and still thinking of what they could do for a second attempt. "Maybe you were special..." Daisy agreed, a soft chuckle of her own escaping after finishing off her first glass of wine. She leaned forward to grab the bottle and refill the glass, clearing her throat as she did so.

"I do admit though that I have never been much of a... people-person. You probably can understand after hearing everything tonight." Daisy hesitantly began to explain, keeping her eyes on the wine. There was a painful thudding in her chest as her mind and heart tore at each other on what to do. Her lips remained parted, and a lump in her throat bobbed as she fought to speak again. "I... the Orphanage was a nightmare for me. The Foster Homes weren't much better as I would still see the kids from the Orphanage at school. But at least I had a break from them at the other places. It wasn't twenty-four/seven, you know?" A few more hearty gulps were needed before she carried on. "The teasing was relentless and... sometimes I didn't know how I was going to find a way out. All because they thought I had some superpower." She forced a laugh, but it held no humour. If she laughed about it herself... perhaps James would be less suspicious about her. "And then... Judy Hood came along. When she first came into my life I was so nervous and... I just waited for the moment she would take me back to the Orphanage. But she didn't... and she soon became my Fairy Godmother." A tear slipped down her cheek, and Daisy was quick to wipe it away with another quiet laugh, "Sorry... I don't mean to get like this all over again. I just thought I might explain somethings now we are... away from it all."

She wiped her cheeks with the sleeve of her jacket, sniffing and shaking her head at herself. Daisy then turned to him with a watery smile, "So you'd be happy to give it another go? I promise I won't be as much of a mess as I am this time." She laughed again, studying him with a hint of worry that she didn't allow to show in her voice. He could just be being nice and never come to the store again. Her stomach twisted painfully at the thought, but she pushed the sensation to one side. He was a sweet and handsome man, and already had enough on his plate with his mother. But she'd throw the suggestion out there anyway... and if he wanted to take it... then all the better.

"How about I cook dinner here tomorrow evening? You'll have to come back tomorrow to pick up your car anyway, I refuse to let you drive home after a couple of drinks." Daisy asked, the beginning of the offer hesitant but building up in strength, "That way it's just us two and there is definitely no way someone from our past can come strolling in." She smiled softly, holding his gaze with a bite to her lip.

• Love
James watched her flicker through various emotions, even while she drained her glass and filled it again. She repeated his words, but she didn't seem to push them away or become scared of his feelings. He liked her, and perhaps that was just a surface level attraction, but he couldn't be sure yet. She had opened up to him in a way that she hadn't for anyone else. She trusted him, and he... trusted her too. It was rare that he could do such a thing, but he felt that she was genuine in every little thing she did. She had a passion for life, something he'd started to lose over the years. Day after day, it was the same thing: working, helping his mother, sleeping, and eating. Nothing was different until now.

As Daisy began to explain herself, James found himself leaning forward again, carefully listening to each word coming from her slightly wine-stained lips. She was more interested in staring at the glass, but his hazel eyes were trained on her. She was giving him a more detailed description of her extended time in the orphanage. She had endured years of bullying and stress over a perceived power.

It still hit him that there was just a hint of potential there, a possibility that the children at the orphanage hadn't been wrong. No one had mentioned the mutations for months now, given that the Cure had been used all over the world and had put a stop to any of the strange powers people had been born with. He was one such individual, but for him, he had never been teased or pushed around just because of those powers. He had kept them concealed for years, and even as Daisy was trusting him with sensitive information now, he knew he could never tell her. Even if he thought she was like him, it was too dangerous.

"It's really okay, Daisy," he answered. He watched her turn wet eyes toward him, but a smile graced her face. At her question, he returned the expression and nodded. "You don't need to apologize so much, you know." It was a gentle suggestion, because James didn't want to hear her sound so downcast all the time. No one deserved to carry around the fear and sadness she had for most of her life. Now, she had the opportunity to be happy, and he didn't want her to squander it.

At her demand, he lifted one eyebrow, and a second of silence hung between them before he shook his head slightly. "I won't argue with that... I do like home cooked meals anyway," he said with another smile. Reaching into his pocket, he pulled out his phone, scanning the screen before he sent a quick text to his mother. Sh was capable of using the flip phone he had given her a while ago, and even if she didn't respond, James knew she would read the text sooner or later.

Draining the rest of his beer, he placed the bottle in the box and pulled out another. If it was going to be a long night of talking, he wanted to be able to relax and laugh, as if he didn't have a care in the world.

-

The following night, the pair did indeed have dinner together. It translated into spending more time together every few days, working around schedules and James being pulled away randomly to tend to his mother. The man found himself hanging around Daisy's little abode more often, because he still didn't want her to see his apartment or meet his mother just yet. There was a time and place for everything, and he wasn't sure when that would ever be.

Two and a half months came and went, and each passing day found both James and Daisy smiling just a little more. She was laughing and he was more expressive in general. It was hard to imagine that she'd been a little too prickly and thorny when he had first met her in the flower shop. She was different when she was allowed to express herself. Years of emotional trauma, suffered by both of them, felt like a thing of the past whenever they were together.

In that moment, they were finishing up a few plates of chicken limon, a dish James had found online and had been wanting to try for over a week. He leaned back in the chair at the table and breathed a heavy, satisfied sigh. "You really are a good cook, you know that, right?" he said with a grin. He'd been eating much more than microwaveable soups and Hot Pockets since he'd been seeing Daisy. They weren't official, but she invited him over often enough that it felt like they were sometimes. He always slept on the couch whenever they had a little too much to drink, and those nights had always ended in falling asleep to a trashy movie on the television.

They were nights that he could appreciate and enjoy, because even if they didn't go out and do anything, he was at least spending time with another person who wanted him around.

• Love
At the beginning of those two and a half months, Daisy still kept a guarded part of herself alert. She didn't want to become attached to James just for him to suddenly disappear a few days later. She hoped that he would be different, and become the first person since Judy Hood that she would actually interact with. Her employees at the store didn't really count, all her relationships there were business and business alone. Although, as the time progressed, even they noticed a change in her behaviour. She smiled more, hummed under her breath as she worked with them around - something she usually only did when it was just her and the store - and even laughed a few times. Daisy remembered their reaction when James had come into the store for the first time since their second attempt at a date, eyes wide and lips parted as her usually cold exterior lightened and warmed within James' presence.

Now it was different, at the end of the two and a half months, Daisy was less afraid that he was about to drop her. Their evenings together, at her house, were perfect to her. She had the safety of her home, and her plants, and then the comforting warmth of his body beside her on the sofa as they watched some trash television. She was less stiff, not so formal, and actually felt... human for once. He wanted to be around her, and wasn't scared off from the first ever night. And didn't seem concerned about the accusations from her past.

At his compliment, Daisy smiled broadly and pressed her napkin to her mouth. "You're the one that found the recipe, I just followed it." She responded, but still appreciating his words. She topped up his glass with the bottle of wine (she had researched what type of wine would go well with the dish), before collecting the plates together.

She couldn't imagine what it was like back at his apartment. She still hadn't seen it, or met his mother. But during the time they had spent together, she had provided him with further bouquets of flowers and other herbal teas. He hadn't mentioned about getting them, but it was something she wanted to do herself for his mother. She didn't mind them always being at her little house, as the plants were a constant source of energy and confidence, but she did wonder if there was a reason why she hadn't been introduced to his mother or even just taken to see his home. However, Daisy wasn't one to pry... especially after he had been so kind as to not push her about her own life.

After washing the plates and leaving them to dry, Daisy returned to the round dining table and began to play with the stem of her wine glass. A habit of hers when nervous or anxious about something. "James..." She began, fingers continuing to fiddle and eyes eventually lifting to his. "I have something to ask of you." She cleared her throat, sitting up and fidgeting in her seat. With the thought of his mother in her mind, Daisy felt guilty for what she was about to ask... but it was a bittersweet day for her, and she knew she would feel better with his support. Even if it was about to suggest a first big step on her end.

"Today's the day that... Judy signed the forms and took me from the Orphanage for good as her foster daughter," her hands now moved on to the cloth napkin that she had left on the table, eyes following suit, and fingers pulling at the material, "I was just wondering if you would... stay with me tonight. Upstairs." Remarkably, she felt no blush forming like she feared she would, and this gave her the confidence to meet his gaze again. "I know it's massive to ask this, especially when I know your mother... and I'd understand if you say no. It's just I'd really appreciate it if you would stay with me tonight."

• Love
"Yes, well, I think I would have made it poorly if I tried," he answered with a chuckle. He tipped his head in thanks as she filled his glass, taking a few small sips after swirling the liquid around. He had never been completely drunk in her presence, but he had sworn off that kind of behavior after he had damaged a part of the wall in his room. Drinking and fire never mixed, and since that time, James had always been careful with what kind of alcohol or prescription drugs he took. He certainly wasn't going to make that mistake with Daisy either.

Silence fell over the table then, but it was remedied by the act of washing the dishes brought them close together. It was a mundane task, but just the act of doing it with another person brought him a joy he hadn't felt in quite some time. He had never realized how much he didn't do until he started being around Daisy. They went out a few times a week, having dinner or seeing a movie, just enjoying the company of another person. The only difference between them was that James had purposely ostracized himself for his own safety. Daisy had been cast out by bullies and superiors, working her way up the ranks to make a name for herself. He could respect her for that, coming back from such trauma.

Once they were back at the table, she started off somber. He looked up from his phone, having sent a quick text to Marie since she had asked about some horse feed. Daisy paused, and James lifted one eyebrow. As of late, when Daisy wanted something, she didn't seem afraid to simply ask. Whatever was on her mind now was something of a different caliber. This wasn't an easy request for her.

When she finally came out with it, he didn't hesitate, and he was surprised that he didn't. Staying upstairs with her meant that he would sleep in her bed, unless she just wanted him on the floor. He hadn't thought to ask for this, mostly because he didn't want to make her uncomfortable (and her couch was quite comfy).

"Of course I will," he answered with a firm nod. He had seen the timid way she'd tugged at the napkin, hardly able to meet his gaze until the end of her statement. "I wouldn't want you to be alone on a day that's important for you." He pushed the chair back and stood up from the table, flipping his phone in his hands. "Let me just tell my mom, alright?" he said, though his small smile was a confirmation that he wasn't going anywhere.

With that, he disappeared into another room, and his muffled voice could be heard. It was impossible to hear what was being said, but after two minutes, he came back, slipping his phone into his pocket. "Everything's good," he reassured with another smile.

• Love
Daisy couldn't actually believe that he had said yes to staying around that night. Although it was no different to the other times he had slept around... except the fact that he would be upstairs with her, and not on the sofa.

Tears briefly welled in her eyes at his words, a watery smile lifting her features as he stood, phone in hand. "Thank you." She said softly, the tight knot she hadn't even notice in her chest loosening at his smile of reassurance. He wasn't going anywhere. She didn't know why she was nervous of him leaving her on that day at her request, especially after their disastrous first evening together at Marie's. She hadn't told him, as it didn't seem important anymore, that Lewis had attempted to contact her through social media. He had added her on Facebook, and sent her a message. But she had deleted the message without reading it and removed his friend request without a second thought. It was easier to seem brave behind a computer screen.

"She doesn't mind you staying the night tonight?" Daisy asked, watching his every move as he entered the room. Her eyes were being opened, each day she spent with James, as to what it could be like with another trusted person in her life. She had realized just how cold and lonely the life she once had truly was. Of course she had the life and brightness of her plants, but how could she have gone so long without another person in her life that accepted her like Judy?

Except James hadn't really, fully, accepted her, had he? Because he still didn't know the truth. He didn't know what she could do and why she was really successful in the flower business, or why she found such comfort in them. And Daisy was terrified of what would happen if he ever did find out. She'd be a liar... and a freak. She didn't know what she would do if James ever thought of her the same way the kids did at the Orphanage. Especially when she was starting to really... like him. By God, it sounds like middle school all over again.

Shaking that thought from her head, Daisy pushed herself to her feet and motioned with her head toward the staircase. "I'm a little tired after today, would you mind if we watched our usually crappy telly upstairs? I have one in my room and we can finish our wine up there too." She smiled faintly, tucking the chair under the table. She hadn't thought about where he would sleep in her room, only that she wanted him close by. She knew it was a risk, since sleep meant little to no control over herself if something would happen. But with the significance of the date, she both needed and wanted James close to her. If he would sleep in the bed with her was a bridge they would cross later.

• Love
"No, everything's fine," James assured her, smiling as he watched her stand up. It wasn't as though he had never been in her room at all before, but it would be the first time he stayed in there longer than a few minutes. Daisy preferred to stay downstairs whenever he was over, and James didn't want to do anything to make her uncomfortable. Daisy was quickly becoming his closest friend, and the last thing he wanted to do was lose her over pushing her too fast. He wasn't even spared from such a feeling either; it had been far too long since he had proper social interaction, and he didn't want to move too quickly.

"Of course." He picked up his mostly full glass, pushing the chair under the table before he followed her toward the stairs. She had given him a small tour of the house once before, but everything appeared similar. She had the same soft pastels in every room, and the furniture was of similar make if she hadn't bought it from the same place. It was a house perfectly suited for her, and it was so much brighter than his own home, even in the dark.

They walked down a short hall before they reached her room, and as Daisy shifted some things around to accommodate him, James set his glass down on her dresser. He unrolled the sleeves of his flannel shirt before he slipped it off, leaving him in his t-shirt. It wasn't a new motion for him, and there were no ulterior motives in it. He simply wanted to be more comfortable, especially if they planned on sleeping in her bed all night.

He sat down on the edge of the mattress, letting himself sink into the soft surface. "Wow, your bed is much comfier than mine," he said, pressing one hand into the mattress and watching his hand print linger.

• Love
Daisy didn't linger after moving some of her belongings around after they entered her bedroom, grabbing some pajamas to take into the en suite bathroom with her. While she had invited him up into the bedroom with her, that didn't mean she was about to put on a little show as she got changed. Her cheeks warmed at the mere thought of it as she stepped around the door to become hidden from view. She left the bathroom door open though, so she could still hear him in case he said something.

"My bed...? Oh, yeah, its ah... it's one of those memory foam mattresses?" She idly made conversation as she slipped into her more comfortable sleepwear, shimming the pajama bottoms up over her legs. "I found after a long day of standing, crouching, and bending in the store... my back would be in pieces." Daisy frowned at herself, disappointed in her own boring comment. Why would anyone care about something like that? Shaking her head, she quickly brushed her teeth before returning to the bedroom.

Clicking the television across the room from her bed on and grabbing the remote, she returned to the bed. Daisy got rid of the few scatter cushions from the bed, and pulled back the bedsheets so she could slip in under them. She then glanced up to him, studying him for a moment with a small smile. "I don't think I've ever seen you without a form of flannel on you." Daisy teased, shifting her legs about under the covers. With a light grin on her lips, she gently yanked at the bedsheets he was sat on, "Come on then, aren't you getting in?" She asked boldly before she could think twice about him being in the bed with her.

She shuffled down further into the bed, leaning back against the fluffy pillows behind her with a soft yet long yawn. "Perhaps you ought to start leaving a toothbrush here or something, not that you have stinking morning breath the next day... I just mean with all the times you have stayed over recently..." She smiled warmly, head turning to look up at him. She wasn't as concerned about offending him anymore, knowing that he understood that sometimes things just didn't come out they way she meant them too. Although she did occasionally still feel the need to explain. "I think I have an extra-large shirt or something hidden away if you'd prefer to change in to that to be more comfortable?"

Daisy briefly turned her attention to the television, flicking through the channels to find some old movie or a trash television programme. It helped keep her further distracted from the slight nerves that did remain. Everything would be fine, and she knew that James was a lovely guy and a complete gentleman.

James glanced between her and his chest as she commented about his lack of flannel. It was true that he enjoyed the feeling of the fabric on his skin; it was a comfort thing. Plus, it was growing colder with each passing day, and James and cold did not mix well. Luckily for him, Daisy's house was always pleasantly warm, just like his own apartment. He paid the extra money on the utility bill to keep it warm at all times, knowing both he and his mother appreciated it far more than the cold. It didn't snow in California, which was a blessing, but temperatures still dipped far below what he wanted them to be.

"I just like them," he answered her teasing, a smile spreading across his face. He shifted around as she started to tug on the blankets, but as she slid under the sheets, he realized he didn't have any better clothes than what he was wearing. He wasn't about to sleep naked or in his boxers in Daisy's bed; they certainly weren't far enough along in the relationship for that level of comfort. Not yet, he corrected himself silently.

Still, as Daisy teased him again, James stood up all the way, allowing her to lean back into all her pillows and make herself comfortable. Once she did, he slid in after her, though he only brought the blankets up to his waist before he leaned back against the pillows. Her bed was definitely finer than his, though he wasn't sure he liked the few decorative pillows she had.

"Oh, no, I'll be fine," he promised, giving her a smile. Jeans were still better than any shirt she had, because he wasn't sure he'd fit into anything she had to offer. He had broader shoulders and had at least a head on her in height. "Don't worry about it."

James found his eyes closing even as Daisy flipped through some channels, and he put one arm behind his head to level himself. He'd spent most of the day tending to the stables and stalls, as some sharp rocks had been tracked in and were damaging the walls and possibly the feet of all her animals. It had been hard work, and now that he was relaxed in a bed that felt more like a cloud than a mattress, he could feel himself slipping into darkness.

He turned on his side, already half asleep by the time he finished the motion. Within minutes, despite the noise and light from the TV, James was fast asleep. His hand reached out, settling on Daisy's leg over the sheets, doing nothing more than resting there. He really hadn't meant to fall asleep before her, but his exhaustion had finally caught up with him.

• Love
Daisy settled on a channel, and she opened her mouth to ask if it was alright for him to watch, but as she turned her head to question him, she felt a hand rest on her leg. Her eyes landed on his face and her mouth slowly closed, the words dying on her tongue. A small smile played along her lips as she watched him for a moment, head tilting to the side as she studied him. James' relaxed features lacked the boyish grin she was used to seeing, and she didn't feel at all concerned about the hand on her leg. If anything, the contact was comforting and she welcomed it.

Pulling her eyes away from James' slumbering form, Daisy stared at the screen for a little while longer before turning it off and setting the remote on the bedside table. Soon, she had slipped down further into the bed beside James, and turned off the lights of the room. The soft breathing from the man beside her surprisingly helped her personally relax, her body loosening as she stared up at the ceiling in the dark. There was no worry or discomfort in him being beside her, if anything it offered an extra level of safety. They may not be very far in to their newly-found relationship, but Daisy was beginning to accept her feelings of trust and warmth toward the young man. She had hope for the first time in years that she had found someone else to let in to her life. However, just how much she would divulge to him had yet to be seen... but that was an issue for another matter.

Her own eyes began to drift closed, and she allowed her own hand to reach down and rest on top of the one of James' that lay on her leg over the covers.

---

It was the bonfire night again, their first date, and it was the Confrontation again. Daisy could feel her chest tightening, a squeezing on her heart and lungs. The fire burned brighter and hotter at her back as the apology changed into accusation. It felt like the flames were licking at her back, close to scolding her completely as Lewis started to take steps toward her, forcing her backward and closer to the fire. Then it was like her own powers began to work against her, and strands of grass grew taller and stronger to weave together. They wrapped around her legs, refusing to let go, and keeping her in place. Her stomach rolled and bile rose in her throat as Lewis' yells and cries of her being a freak rose, and others began to join in. Marie was there. Her little children staring on in horror. Lewis' friend. The father she had spoken to.

And James.

James stared on not far behind the crowd. The strands of grass tightened at her legs, and the flames from the bonfire were hungry behind her. Burning wood nauseated her, and she longed for the cool earth to smother her instead. She tried to move her legs, kicking and pulling, but unable to get an inch of leeway. The shouts only increased in volume and she opened her mouth to plead to James, who only shook his head. "Monster." He labelled her coldly. "Just another monster. Another freak. And you thought you had a chance to be with me. Not with this. You're a freak of nature and a disgusting side effect."

Tears pooled in her eyes and began to drip down her cheeks as the names and insults continued, unable to look away from James. And as the flames finally made contact with her clothes and skin, Daisy screamed.

• Sympathy & Compassion