Daisy had disappeared into the back room again by the time James had woken himself from his brief nap and her last customer had left. She had once more returned to her comfort zone of plants and petals. They wouldn't judge, and they especially wouldn't expect any small talk. But Daisy was happier talking to them than she was to any human, and she always believed that her flowers enjoyed hearing her voice. They seemed to lean toward her as she spoke, straining toward her as if to grasp every softly whispered word that they might miss if they didn't listen to tentatively.

The more she thought to herself, the less worried she became of the man that had came in for the simple bouquet of roses. Many people were curious as to how she kept her flowers so fresh and alive. He wasn't the first and he most likely wouldn't be the last. By the time the bell jingled once more, and Daisy had had another two cups of tea, the last customer was completely forgotten about.

She walked out to the front of the store, dusting soil from her hands onto the beige apron she had on, to see the familiar face that she was becoming slightly suspicious of. Sure, she hadn't seen this guy in about a week or so, but to visit her store three times in two weeks? Especially when she had been sure he wasn't exactly there by choice on the second visit. He was picking up for someone else, after all, and he seemed a little more relaxed when dealing with her other employees. Daisy knew she hadn't exactly been the most friendly with him...even with the free flowers. But they were for his mother, not for him.

Instead, however, of her usual stance and hostile nature, Daisy decided to lean against the counter with her forearms resting on the top counter. Her eyes followed him for a moment, trailing him curiously and cautiously for the time being. Eventually, after a few more minutes had passed - just like his first visit - she called out to him.

"You seem quite fond of yellow, this time." She made her voice light, as if trying to joke with him, but knowing her luck it would come across differently to how she intended. "I mean, you're looking at all the yellow flowers this time. Anything I can help you out with? I promise I won't bite...as much...this time round." Her cheeks went a little pink as yet another one of her attempted jokes seemed to fall flat.

Clearing her voice, Daisy tried again, "If you want, and of course if it's yellow that you're looking for to be the main color, I can show you some ideas of what I can do for you. Or you can pick and choose what you'd like and I can see what I can do." She offered a faint smile, shifting her weight on to her one foot, her hip cocking to one side as she did so.

"Yellow roses, yellow asiatic lilies, green carnations, yellow button spray chrysanthemums, bupleurum and leatherleaf fern. They usually make a gorgeous bouquet," she explained quickly afterward, rambling on and pointing to each of the flowers in turn that were on display, "I could put it together for you and then, if you wanted one or two changed, I can put in the flowers you would want."

• Love
Reactions: Saren
He shouldn't have been surprised at her voice, seeing as she worked there and owned the place. He realized a few seconds later that it was not her voice that was new but rather her tone. She had adopted a lighter inflection and was actually trying to joke with him. It was strange, but welcome. He hadn't been in for a few days, but he wasn't sure what had changed. Silently, he admitted it was a good change. She looked much prettier with a smile on her face.

James gave her a smile in return and looked back down at the note in his hand. "Well, I did say yellow was my mother's favorite color," he said, pocketing the small slip of paper. Daisy was rattling off all kinds of flowers, but he wasn't really familiar with all the names. She understood far more than he did; he was used to much simpler flowers like roses and, well, daisies. He knew lilies and chrysanthemums, but he was unfamiliar with the last two plants.

At her offer, James blinked. She hadn't been so forthcoming before, even though she had given him the discount. It really seemed like she was making an effort this time rather than being aloof. Some part of him wondered what had changed, but the other part of him just decided to run with it.

His smile grew a little bigger and he nodded. "I'll admit that I'm not the most knowledgeable with flowers," he said with a slightly embarrassed chuckle, "but maybe you could show me." He stepped out from behind the shelf and moved toward her, but he kept a respectful distance away. He had tied his trusty checkered scarf around his wrist today, since the wind had blown it into his face while running the horses around.

"The flowers you gave me last week are still alive and kicking. Sometimes I look at them and they look fake, but they still smell the same." It was eerily beautiful how the flowers had looked so perfect for several days straight, but whatever Daisy did to them, he felt like they'd be that way for another week. "Marie loves hers too. She's been gushing about them ever since I brought them back to her." It was much easier to talk to Daisy now that she was a little more approachable, and James found the words spilling from his lips before he could stop himself. As far as he'd seen, Daisy didn't care for long winded stories, so he cut himself short before he dove into detail about how Marie moved the flowers all the time so she could look at them while taking care of the house.

"What do you start with first when you make an arrangement like the one you suggested?" he asked, trying to bring the topic around to something Daisy might feel more comfortable with.

• Love
Reactions: Viverescribere
Daisy watched him curiously, eyes wandering once more over his frame as they had done the past two times he had visited the store. She noticed the scarf around his wrist, and found it rather peculiar. He always seemed to have that exact one with him at all times. In the past it was around his neck or elsewhere, but now it was at his wrist. Perhaps it was some sort of talisman or good luck charm. Something to define him, she supposed to herself. But of course, that wasn't something for her to pry into. She'd hate it if anyone pried into something of her own that could be considered private.

Quickly she focused back onto what he was saying, another faint smile flickering onto her lips as she acknowledged what he was saying. "Of course I can. Nothing wrong with not being knowledgeable with flowers, I'm sure there's plenty that you know more about than I do." Daisy answered simply, an added shrug to her shoulder accompanying her response.

"They should still be okay next week too. Depending on the flowers in the arrangement, they have different survival rates." She explained, moving out cautiously from behind the counter after pausing to quickly shove on her slip-on flats. Daisy straightened her blouse as she came out to the front of the store, heading to the different flowers she had mentioned but only picking out one or two at a time to make a smaller version of the arrangement she had in mind. "I'm glad that Marie likes them. She's been with me since the beginning after she ordered a bouquet for...think it was some dinner party? Or perhaps it was some Easter or Thanksgiving meal...I can't remember now."

She cleared her throat, realizing that she had fallen into an easy conversation - even if only small talk - with James. Heading back to the counter, she pulled out a small vase from the storage cupboards planted in the till side of the counters and began her arrangement. "Well let me show you, I've got them all out now anyway. If you don't like it, then we can start again. How does that sound?" She inquired, peering up to him.

"If all else fails you can tell me what flowers your mother would definitely love and then I can see what I can fix up with those ones?"

• Love
Daisy was so much less tense and terse when she smiled. Even if they were small, simple expressions, her face lit up in a way that was almost impossible to ignore. It seemed easier for both of them when she smiled, even if the expression didn't always reach her eyes. She was far more friendly than she'd been a while ago, but it wasn't from the fact that he'd paid her the second time around. Maybe she was just making an effort to have return customers, even if her products brought all kinds of people in. She kept talking even as she rounded the counter, and he chuckled at her story about Marie. The woman was certainly obsessed with the wildflowers Daisy always seemed to have in stock. "That certainly sounds like her," he answered, but she was quick to change the subject. She didn't seem to mind him following her around, watching the various flowers she picked up for the arrangement.

When they made it back to the counter, Daisy set up the vase and lay the flowers out and started to push them inside the vase. "Sure," he answered simply. Watching her was almost calming, and his hazel eyes tracked all of her different movements as she put a few flowers in, took one out and pushed it to the side while setting more inside. It was all about color and length, and though Daisy was a professional, she was still slow and meticulous.

"Hm?" He was so engrossed in watching her that he almost missed her question. The crumpled up note seemed to burn a hole in his pocket now, and he was once again aware of what his mother had wanted. He couldn't tell Daisy about how his mother wanted her namesake. He pulled out the paper, trying to unfold it neatly rather than letting it spill out. "Hyacinth is one she wanted that I don't think you picked up... Would that work here?"

Her brow was furrowed softly as she looked at the arrangement, head tilting lightly to the side. Daisy knew she had made a mistake. It was all much too yellow. Too much yellow and not enough to break up the different kinds of flowers to show off their beauty. Taking them all back out again, Daisy attempted to formulate a new plan. A better plan for James' mother and her flowers.

"Hyacinth you said?" She repeated eventually, peering back up to him as she finally had an idea in mind. "Would you mind...if I added a soft orange into the mix? I promise the majority will still be yellow and the flowers your mother definitely wanted will be yellow." Daisy wandered into the back room where the Hyacinth's were kept.

She fetched the some lovely fresh ones of delicate yellow, bringing them back out to the counter to leave them there. Then, Daisy returned the yellow roses: "Yellow roses are something someone would take to an sick person in a hospital." She commented lightly, placing them back into the water containers, "And your mother, to me from what I've picked up, is anything but frail. She seems like she can be a very strong individual with lots of fight." She continued but left it at that. The next roses she picked out were, as she said, the shade of orange likened to that of a setting sun, a pink blush at the tips of the petals.

It wasn't that she wasn't aware of him watching her. Daisy was extremely aware and was grateful that her hair was covering the tips of her ears, otherwise he would be able to see how hot red they were. She knew he wasn't staring at her out of spite or disgusted curiosity, but it was hard to shake the memories of what it was like when she was a child.

Clearing her throat, her eyes occasionally darted up to him before flickering back to the bouquet if his eyes were on her. But luckily, they seemed to be more on her hands and the flowers. Exhaling softly, she continued to work, explaining as she went: "So I've got those yellow hyacinths now that you asked for. The roses are now that soft orange. Still got the yellow asiatic lilies and green carnations. The yellow button spray chrysanthemums and bupleurum but I've taken out the leatherleaf fern."

Eventually she stood back, biting at her lower lip as she critically assessed the bouquet, "How does...how does that look for you?"

• Love
Watching Daisy get lost in her work was amazing. He'd given her free reign to do as she wished with the bouquet, since his only prerequisite was that it had to have yellow. She spoke about the flowers as if they were her own children, caressing the petals whenever she wanted to fluff them up to be more appealing and being so very gentle with them as she placed them around the vase. She explained all her moves, what the colors meant. He had no idea yellow was for sickly individuals, but Daisy was quick to continue speaking after that. James wanted to believe her, but considering how often his mother didn't leave the house or do much of anything, it was hard to take her word for it. At least she was asking for specific flowers; it meant that it was a start.

James watched her hands move about until she was finished, but the sudden confidence wavered as she spoke. He pulled the vase a little closer to him, twisting it around so he could see everything she put in it. Arrangement was lost on him, since he was more of a gardener, but he appreciated the different colors she'd placed with the yellow. Everything was well complimented within the vase right down to the green stems. The leaves shone bright under the lights and the flowers still seemed to yearn for Daisy's touch.

"They're beautiful," he said, giving her a wide smile. "I know she'll love them." He ran his finger along one of the orange rose petals. "Are you going to let me pay you this time?" he asked, just the hint of a tease in his tone. "I'm sure all these flowers are expensive to maintain."

• Love
Daisy's hands rung together as he pulled the vase toward him, her eyes flickering anxiously over his face as she tried to gauge his response to what she had created. Never before had she felt so nervous. Her hands were even becoming a little clammy and she was sure her cheeks were beginning to blush faintly. She didn't know why, either. It wasn't like she got like this with other customers. Usually she was so calculated and confident with what she had created for her other customers that she didn't even bother with having to question their approval. Daisy knew as soon as she brought the bouquet out. Their eyes would light up with either surprise or awe at her creations. They would hand money over with barely a full sentence to go with the final sum. But there was something about this young man before her. Something in her gut that told her he was different, that she needed to get his approval and make sure he liked what she created.

Daisy put it down to the fact it was for his ill mother. She had a weak spot for kind and caring mothers.

A breath was released. One that Daisy hadn't even realized she had been holding. Holding for so long that she had to resist the urge to rub her chest which had tightened with the unknown effort of keeping the breath in for so long. Her cheeks then flushed darker at the light teasing from him, and she dropped her gaze to the safety of the bouquet.

"If you're definitely happy with them, then I can let you pay, sure." Daisy painted on a timid smile, taking a step to the register on her side of the counter. As she typed up the cost, and adding a small, secret discount for extra measure, Daisy wondered briefly just why she was doing this. For his mother, indefinitely. But perhaps something deep down knew that they were in something together. Her mind also drifted to a few herbal remedies she could offer him, just a few leaves or petals for his mother to try in her tea.

It wouldn't work miracles, but it could possibly just help with strength...mentally or physically.

"That'll be fifteen, sixty-five then please." Daisy smiled faintly again to him, turning to face him, "I have a few herbal concoctions in the back if you'd like them for your mother? Free of course. Woman to woman. They've helped me through a lot, perhaps they could offer some comfort or strength to your mother? I did learn these remedies from my...mine, after all too.'

• Love
As Daisy allowed him to pay for another item, he gave her a smile. She had let him pay for the cactus just a few days ago, but this time, the bouquet was more expensive and more elaborate. It was going to cost more than the original one he'd gotten the first time he'd stepped into this place, but he didn't mind. He was Marie's only farmhand, and she paid him generously. Most of his earnings went to savings so he and his mother could eventually move out of the city and onto quieter grounds, but he didn't mind spending something for the both of them every now and again. He knew when he could afford something fun; he was the one that took care of all the bills and finances anyway.

He slid his card as she stated the payment, his finger slowing on the number pad as she piped up about herbal remedies. His mother wasn't much of a tea drinker, but she trusted James enough that if he gave her something, she would drink it. Daisy was far more knowledgeable about plants than he was, and he valued her opinion. He hadn't known her for very long, but she was clearly a smart, capable individual who knew how to run a business and instruct others on her product. It was for that reason that he gave her a nod, pocketing his wallet and grabbing the bouquet with one hand.

"It can't hurt to try," he said. "I've tried a lot of things to help her, but tea wasn't one of them." It was more of an admittance than he was going for, but when he'd first shared information about his mother with Daisy, she hadn't been so forthcoming herself. Now, she seemed to be friendlier, and he didn't mind sharing with her so much now. "Thank you, Daisy. I appreciate it." This time, he gave her a bigger smile. Perhaps that first day he'd walked in had been a bad day for her. All he knew was that he liked her much more when she was open to conversation, even if it was just about a few flowers.

• Love
Clearing up her station as he made the payment, Daisy questioned why she even bothered with her offer. She wasn't exactly the friendliest person in the world when he first came in. She was surprised he even came back at all...but then again, the second time was for Marie's order. He must work for her...how had she never considered that before? Or thought through the reasons he came back? Perhaps another small talk starter for her to use if things were to become...uncomfortable.

Daisy returned to the counter in front of him, smiling again as he accepted her offer. Flowers and herbal remedies were definitely a topic of conversation she could easily take on. The flower topic was slowly dying out, she couldn't keep relying on that safety net. But these remedies were something new...and her realization of him working for Marie.

"No problem! Just give me a second and I'll get them out to you." Her smile was broader, lighter, and the last of the tension in her shoulders was finally slipping away.

Disappearing in the back for a few more minutes, she eventually reappeared with a small box which would hold little bags of different tea leaves and petals. "Now, I've added a strainer into the package as well, if you add it to a teapot or just into a mug, you can put the leaves in it and they won't go all over the place." She explained, gently sliding the box across the counter to him. "There's Hibiscus, Rooibos, Passionflower, Lavender, and Kava. Majority of these are for helping with stress and anxiety...so I hope they turn out somewhat useful, even if only for short periods of time. Just boil some hot water and add it to the teapot or mug that the tea leaf strainer is in." She paused, realizing how long she had been talking for and her smile turned momentarily timid.

"Sorry, yet another time where I've just been rambling when this could just be boring nonsense to you! Here you are, and there's your receipt." Daisy quickly wrapped everything up, clearing her throat as she placed the receipt onto the box with another faint smile.

• Love
James decided in that moment that he didn't mind any of Daisy's ramblings. In reality, it was just a hurried explanation, for her words were full of experience and knowledge that he could hardly fathom. She certainly had him beat on the flower front... and now teas too. He should have pegged her for a tea drinker, but he didn't. It was just one more thing to add to the growing list of things he knew about her. Considering that she'd been far more open this time than any other, that list was rapidly expanding. It was quite the change, but he welcomed it.

He took the box as she slid it toward him, giving her a return smile. "Thank you, really. I know I keep saying that, but I really do appreciate everything you've done." He picked up the bouquet with one hand and rested the box under his other arm. "At the rate I keep going, my mother may want to come in here herself just to see." The comment slipped out before he could really stop it. Outside of the first day - and Izzy's rude comments about who he gave flowers to - James had not brought his mother up in conversation. Sure, he made mention of her, but nothing like what he'd said on the first day meeting Daisy. He seemed to sober up, and he gripped the bouquet a little tighter.

"I'll see you around, Daisy," he said, giving her one last little smile. With those parting words, he left, the smile dropping the instant the door shut behind him. Despite Daisy's sudden openness with him, he couldn't keep talking about his mother. He hadn't mentioned to Daisy that she seemed to be deteriorating again, and he was only hoping that Daisy's beautiful bouquet would bring her back out of it again.

-

A few days later, just as the winter holidays were rolling around, Marie called him early in the morning to let him know that it was raining and that he didn't have to come in that day. The animals were inside and the fences had held against the wind. He'd regrettably agreed to not showing up, though it meant one less day he would get paid for. She had assured him that she would still give him half a day's pay, since he was trying to provide for two people, not just one.

Still, the lack of work put him in a bit of a sour mood, and as soon as he was able, he left. His mother had opted to stay in her room for most of the morning, not even coming out for breakfast. He'd saved her a plate in the microwave along with a note stating where he'd gone. He knew he'd come home to find it still untouched, but maybe it was the thought that counted. He threw on a hoodie and grabbed his keys, though he wasn't quite sure where he would drive to.

James ceased to pay attention to the direction he was going, and his distracted mind led him to a spot that was no longer unfamiliar. He found himself parked in front of the flower shop once again, and when he realized where he was, he almost backed out of the parking lot. Daisy wouldn't want to keep seeing him every few days; he looked like a moocher, taking all the free stuff she offered and more. Sure, he'd paid her... but that had only been twice.

It occurred to him then that the little cactus he'd bought from her shop was almost outgrowing its pot already. He'd never seen a plant grow so fast, and though it was only supposed to remain small, it had taken a liking to his home and the windowsill it sat on next to the balcony door. He was going to need a new one sooner or later.

He was grateful for the sudden excuse he thought of, and he flipped his hood over his head as he stepped out into the rain. Luckily, it was a short dash to her door, and when he reached the overhang, he opened the front door and shook his hood off. Blond hair frizzed out and wasn't quite as styled as it normally was, leading to stray strands wavering around his ears and forehead. He didn't seem to mind, and it was only that part of his head that was visible as he bent, looking amongst the shelves in search for a pot.

• Love
With the approach of the winter holidays, and the frigid weather that joined it, Daisy could feel herself becoming more prone to her usual illnesses and physical changes. Her employees were always baffled by her month-long colds, and how - no matter how many different hand creams she used - the skin on her hands would become cracked and sore. They'd try to convince her to let them do more of the manual labour, to let them tend to the plants, but that would be something Daisy would have to be dead for in order for that to happen. There was no way that anyone else was touching her flowers and plants before her.

She was late getting back to the shop during a quick break she allowed herself. It was merely an appearance she kept up so her employees were still kept thinking she was trying to make herself better. But Daisy knew that she had to just ride this winter out, as she always had to. It was all an illusion, really. A fake doctors appointment and she'd step out of the store for an hour or so. Nose sprays were out on display and a bottle of cough mixture, a bit of which she pour down the sink each day so they truly did believe she was taking it as she ought to be.

It wasn't a very attractive sight when she was at her worst, sometimes she'd even have to leave the store in her employees hands and call in sick. Which wasn't too bad since she was the boss, after all, and had even stored up numerous sick days over the years when it was spring, summer and autumn. But for now at least, she wasn't too bad. A red nose, skin that was beginning to crack on her hands and red-rimmed eyes. It would probably look like some sort of mistimed hayfever, but regardless, it was always annoying to try and reassure people that she was fine and didn't need any help.

Her recent employee, David, was manning the counter for the time being and had strict instructions to not touch the plants. The plants at front of store or the ones in the back. He offered a regular, polite smile as James entered.

"Welcome to Mother Earth Florist, today sir. Is there anything I can assist you with?" David inquired, hands pressing against the surface of the counter. Since he wasn't allowed to 'bother the plants' - as Daisy had put it - he was rather bored while his boss had been absent. Not that she was much of a small talker.

Daisy had pushed her way through the door just at the end of David's question, her hair soaked but her raincoat keeping the rest of her dry. David had yet to learn that Daisy didn't care for fussing, so she knew she was going to get him making her hot cups of tea once whoever in the store had left. But really, the rain rejuvenated her. It made her feel a little better against the withering cold that was effecting her like it would her plants if they weren't inside.

She scraped back the wet strands of dark hair, pulling them away from her eyes to focus on the customer within the store. Her lips already curving into an obligatory smile of her own. When she realized it was James - again - it turned into a timid one. Timid, but actually genuine. "Afternoon." She murmured to him, inclining her head toward him, "Miserable day, huh?" She commented, pulling off her raincoat and heading behind the counter.

"Kettle's boiled for you, Chief." David grinned heartily and Daisy forced herself to return it.

Who uses the phrase 'Chief' these days?

"Thanks David, I'll only be a moment to dry off and then you can take the rest of the day. Go ahead and clock out now actually. I'm sure this gentleman will be a little longer in finding what pleases him." Daisy informed her newest worker who hesitated.

"Are you sure? I mean...you've not been too well recently...-"

"David, honestly, go home. Spend time with family, friends, whatever. Take the day off. Kids like you shouldn't be arguing about an early release." Daisy joked lightly from the back as she hung up her jacket.

David glanced to James briefly before quickly smiling apologetically and heading to the back himself.

Daisy soon came round front, a small towel drying her hair and a steaming mug in the other hand. The door at the back of the store opened and closed. She smiled faintly to James, "Want one? Look like you got caught in it yourself. Then we can get to helping you find whatever you need. I'm surprised you keep coming back here...surely there are other places closer to you?" She paused and then hurriedly continued, "Not that I do appreciate you coming back, I mean it's great for business and not to mention knowing that I'm at least kind of helping with your mother...if it even is helping..." She trailed off awkwardly, hand having tightened on the towel that was once drying her hair.

• Love
The last thing James expected to hear was a man's voice inside the shop. While it wasn't out of the realm of possibility for Daisy to hire a young man, it was almost unexpected. She'd proven that she was far more capable to run the store than any of her previous employees, which begged the question of why she was even hiring anyone. He wanted to see her first and foremost at the counter, not some young man. James was not the jealous type, but a small flare of the sour emotion rose in his throat anyway. He blamed it on the rain and how it dampened both himself and his power, and the feeling was gone by the time he straightened up from where he'd been crouched. Just as he did, Daisy rounded the corner and gave him a small smile. It didn't seem like the same smile she'd first given him during their initial meeting, and the expression eased him in a way he didn't quite understand, but he welcomed the feeling.

He didn't get a chance to answer David or Daisy as the two conversed, and James waited until David was out of earshot. The other man looked younger than James had initially seen; perhaps he was trying to make a quick buck while still in high school. James couldn't blame him, but as Daisy came into focus, the other man was forgotten. "Oh, no, thank you. I don't really drink tea," he said with a slight shake of his head. Daisy kept talking, but this time, he gave her a smile. "I don't live all that far from here, so it's not a big deal." He watched her grip the towel on her head, though it was still draped over her head like a fuzzy hood. She looked… cute, he realized. He hadn't thought of her like that during their previous meetings, but with her head ducked a little bit and her shy smile, she was the picture of cuteness.

Luckily, her following words saved him from staring for just a touch too long. "She's been enjoying the tea, I think. I made some of it yesterday before work, and when I came back, half of it was gone. I haven't heard her say she doesn't like it, so I think that's progress," he finished. He leaned against the counter, rubbing his fingers together to spark warmth in the extremities. He hated rain for the sole reason that it seemed to soak him down to his very core. The fire burning inside him was affected by such weather, and even though it wasn't freezing outside, he was still too cold for his own good. Being inside helped, and seeing Daisy warmed him as well.

"If you can believe it, I'm in here for a reason this time," he said with a slight chuckle. "That little cactus I bought last week grew more than I expected it to, so I figured it would need a new pot."

• Love
Realizing just how long she had left the towel draping over her head, Daisy was quick to pull it off with a red flush to her cheeks. Her eyes were even faster to avert from his gaze, hands using the towel to give the ends of her hair a few last rubs and squeezes before she stashed it onto a free shelf behind the counter. How unprofessional did she just look? Not to mention, just how disorganized and unwell must she seem to him at that moment? Her hand raised to flatten any stray strands, then to pull down her blouse which was also slightly damp still.

As he spoke, Daisy couldn't help but notice his slightly disheveled appearance, and the corner of her lips twitched and flickered as she smothered what would have been another fleetingly timid smile. The few stubborn strands of hair that stuck out from behind his ears or in different directions at the front of his head would have made anyone else look dorky...but with him...well, he seemed like the kind of guy that could make any kind of look work. Including this windswept, rain-splatted display.

Upon realizing he had finished speaking about his mother, she cleared her throat and smiled. His mother was seeming to enjoy the teas she had provided. That knowledge left her with a warm bubble in her chest, making her smile that little bit brighter. Daisy enjoyed knowing that what she was doing helped. That what she could provide to people could make things better for them and the people that surrounded them. Or at least...were seeming to. "I'm glad to hear that. Feel free to stop by at any time for more, I just use them for myself really since that isn't really an area of business in the store...and with the people I employee being high schoolers...they don't appreciate tea like the older generation do." She chuckled lightly, tucking a strand of loose hair behind her ear.

"Oh the cactus?" She blinked, having forgotten all about that little potted plant he had bought previously. Daisy shook her head, clearing her mind and nodding, switching to business mode. "Of course, yes. Can't believe it's grown that quickly, so soon." She smiled fondly, moving from behind the counter to direct him toward the spare pots that were lined up on a shelf not far from the counters. Even Daisy forgot how powerful or extraordinary her powers could be at times.

"Why the cactus?" Daisy then inquired after instructing him on the different pots and giving a few pointers on 'cactus care'. "I mean, quite a few people like bonsai trees or other little potted plants. I never get many buying a cactus. So why your decision to go for one? No judgement, obviously as someone who loves all plants big and small," she provided a nervous twitter before continuing, "I'm just curious about people's decisions and preferences." Daisy ended finally, leaning against the counter as she watched him.

• Love
James watched her come around the counter and stand near him, and together, they perused the spare pots lining the shelves. There were a few pots that would have worked, but many were decorated. He wasn't much for interior decorating, but he knew the colors wouldn't really go with the few colors present in the apartment. He started to reach for one on the top shelf when her question broke over her other words. She'd been showing him how to transfer a cactus from pot to pot and how often to water a plant that could survive in the desert.

"Why do I like it?" he repeated, hand stilling. "Oh, well, I guess… I guess it's because I like hot weather. I don't do so good in this." He waved his hand above his head, motioning to the sky neither one of them could see. As if on cue, a peal of distant thunder cracked overhead, and James could only hope that it meant the storm was receding. He wanted to get back to work. "I prefer the sunlight and… not wet. Winter and fall aren't really my favorite seasons. I guess a cactus reminds me of summer. I don't know, can you feel homesick for an entire season?"

The question sounded silly, and he chuckled at himself. "I'm sorry, that probably sounded dumb." He swiped one of the bigger, plain colored pots and brought it down to eye level. "You think this one'll do?" he asked, holding it out to her. "It isn't quite as big as this, but I figure it'll grow into it with the way it's been going."

Though Daisy had removed the towel, there were more damp strands clinging to her cheeks and neck. He could have warmed her so quickly in that moment, and even as he thought about it, the pot heated between his fingers. It wasn't a burning sensation, but if Daisy took it, it would feel far warmer than normal. He couldn't take the heat back, and he couldn't snatch the pot out of her reach until it cooled. He masked a slow breath out and gave her a smile instead. Sometimes, his power got away from him just as easily as a thought could, and Daisy certainly had a way of distracting him right out of his own control.

• Love
"Say no more...I definitely understand what you mean. It's crazy, isn't it? I never thought anyone else would feel like that." Daisy chuckled at his explanation of feeling homesick for a particular season. Then she caught herself, laughter trailing off, as she realized just that. He felt the exact same as she did. It wasn't normal for someone to feel homesick or longing for a season. Her eyes briefly darted to him as her lower lip was taken between her teeth.

Daisy immediately shook off her thoughts, clearing her throat as she rubbed the back of her neck. "I'm more of a spring person. But I agree about winter and fall...it's when all my lovely flowers die. It's much harder to keep business going then...but I suppose I have those harder-to-kill plants that come in to season, right?" She joked lightly, pulling at her slowly drying blouse to keep it from sticking to her skin too much. What she didn't reveal was that it was harder to keep business going because she herself was weaker too. Not having the amount of sun necessary to keep her revitalized, it was difficult to find energy to keep going at times. The 'flu' became all too a familiar excuse to miss work.

Running her tongue over her lips to wet them, Daisy focused again onto the reason why James had returned to her store in the first place. Smiling at his choice, she nodded in agreement and glanced back up to him. "That'll be perfect, like you said, it'll give it plenty of place to grow for a while." She commented, and another lengthy period before you have to come back...

Her brow furrowed at the whispered extra sentence in her mind, wondering why it should bother her just how long it took for him to come back. He was just a customer. A customer.

But an abnormal customer that you suspect of being like...

It was the second time in a short space of time that Daisy shook her head, holding herself back from even hitting herself upside the head with the heel of her palm - now that would definitely look strange! He couldn't be like her...surely...

But what if he was...?

"Right!" She interrupted her inner debate out loud, smiling again at him as she reached out and took the pot from him. Her eyes widened, immediately looking down to the object in question. She gave a small, questionable laugh, rolling the pot between her two hands. "You certainly have warm hands considering the weather." She said lightly, not looking back to him as she walked behind the counter again.

Warm was an understatement. It was like her hands were being held in front of a crackling fire, and the warmth was spreading up her arms. It was a sensation she wished would last, but knew would fade eventually. However, it did nothing to stop the internal argument she had inside her head about just how...normal James actually was.

"Make sure you drive home safe in this weather. It seems extremely unreliable, it could start hammering it down with rain any second." Daisy observed, bent over with an elbow on the side and her chin resting in her hand once the payment and wrapping of the pot had been made. "You're turning into my number one customer, you know, can't afford to lose you." She even went as far as to tease him, the left corner of her mouth turned softly upward.

• Love
It was strange to find someone who felt similarly about the season. It seemed like they both despised winter time, but he had ways to combat the cold. His gas bill always skyrocketed during this time, but his mother understood why he had to keep himself burning hot all the time. He asked Marie for extra work just so she might pay him a little more to compensate, but he'd been surviving this way for almost three years now, and it always worked out. This winter would be no different, not if he had anything to say about it.

James blinked as she commented on the pot, and he gave her a smile before he shoved his hands into his pockets. "Uh, handwarmers." He grasped the lining of his pockets, giving the impression that he was grabbing the small packets that helped warm hands. "Helps out in this awful weather." He never needed them, but it was a good enough excuse for the time being. He watched her set the pot on the counter, not realizing just how much he'd heated the pot. He couldn't exactly tell Daisy what had made it so warm, so he just kept silent until she spoke again.

She was warning him to drive safely, almost like she cared. It was odd, given that she was only beginning to warm up to him. It sounded like something a friend would say, but perhaps she just wanted him to feel more comfortable. Her gentle words and light jokes did that well enough, so he gave her a smile as he fished out his wallet and gave her cash. There was comfortable silence as she wrapped the pot up, passing it back to him afterward. "Well, I'll try not to let you down then," he answered, mirroring her smile.

Now came the awkward part.

"Listen, I wanted to ask you… My boss, Marie, she's having a bonfire party on the beach next Saturday. The weather's supposed to be clear before it gets too rainy. Anyway, she invited me to come along, and I was wondering if you'd… accompany me. I understand if you have to have your store open," he waved his free hand apologetically, "but I'm sure Marie would love to meet you. She gets busy, but she really did love those wildflowers. They're still alive, but she likes to think it's her plant food she's giving them." He was threatening to ramble on to try and cover the awkward, perhaps silly request, and he hadn't given her time to say no… or yes. He clamped his mouth shut, watching her reaction with careful, hazel eyes.

• Love
While she was unsure about his claim regarding the supposed hand warmers in his pockets, Daisy had let it slide...for now. To have him agree with her about having a preferred season, and the unnatural warmth of his hands, it wasn't helping the debate going on in her head. However, it wasn't as if she could just outright ask him. No one had mentioned any 'supernatural' things since the cure had been created.

For all she knew, this could just be a ruse. Her heart stopped at the sudden thought, and her smile froze in place. What if this was just a ruse? She'd heard about a few disappearances in the past, especially with the cure coming out and 'supernaturals' being taken in to be...fixed. What if James was just....a scout, as such?

Swallowing thickly, Daisy found herself hoping and praying that this wasn't the case. Because...she had grown fond of James? Accustomed to him? She didn't know. She just realized that he was the second person in her life now that she was concerned about stabbing her in the back. The first person was Judy, her foster mother, and luckily the woman never even considered betraying Daisy.

Coming back to reality, Daisy was very surprised to have him invite her to Marie's bonfire evening. Inviting her. Daisy was aware that she wasn't the most...friendly of assistants when he first came into her store. She warmed up to him, sure, and attempted to be friendlier to him as his visits came more frequently. And now she had the suspicions that he wasn't normal, just like how she wasn't. Yet she couldn't help but wonder just why he was inviting her. Surely he had plenty of other friends to invite. Plenty of...lady friends that would jump at the opportunity to spend an evening in front of a crackling fire with him.

She took her lower lip between her teeth, considering his offer and battling her natural instincts to just turn down the offer and stay in the safety of her home or the flower shop. Her lips curled upward as he continued to ramble on, and she realized that it was exactly what she did when she became nervous. Daisy knew there was no worry about her shop having to stay open, she never kept it open after five in the evening, but she was the owner...she could close it whenever she wished. Hell, maybe she'll shut the store for the day and have a full day gardening at her own home instead before getting ready for Marie's.

"James." She gently broke into the short silence after his awkwardly rambling. Daisy offered a timid smile, standing straight and fingers fiddling together. "I'd love to join you at Marie's. If you're sure that you'd like to have me join you, that is. I mean, I'm sure you have plenty of other people that you could take with you, yet you're inviting me." Now it was her turn to ramble, and she rubbed the back of her neck. "Not that I don't appreciate the invitation, like I said, I'd love to join you."

• Love
James found himself releasing a small breath that almost sounded like a sigh, but he covered it up with a small chuckle and a smile. He had been poised for her answer, but he wasn't really expecting an affirmative. While Daisy had certainly warmed up to him during the past few weeks, she hadn't exactly been the kindest person toward him. Still, he'd looked past it, and now, she was smiling like she'd always been capable of the expression. Perhaps she had been once, before her past jaded her and made her a little too cynical for anyone's taste. He only knew that because the same thing had happened to him. James could only hope her past was less violent, for no one deserved to relive any moment like that.

He didn't want to give his own life any thought and shook his head at her assumption. "No, not really," he answered. "Just you." He watched her thumbs twirl around one another, and he dug his fingers into the side of the pot as she kept going. It took her a second time of saying yes for him to really get it, and he set the pot down, grabbing the receipt she just handed him and a pen. There was a second of loud scribbling before he pushed the paper back to her. "Here's my number. Text me your address or... wherever you want me to pick you up. I think it's supposed to start at 7, but... I'll let you know." He released the pen and gave her another smile, a wave accompanying the expression this time. Now that she had accepted, it seemed like the happiness came just a little easier for a time.

Taking his pot and his giddy pride, James left the flower shop. Still, throughout the week, he found himself walking toward it twice more before the weekend showed itself. Granted, both times were because of Marie, but it gave him an excuse to ask Daisy about more plant related things and listen to her speak about her passion. The more time he spent with her, even if it was just a few minutes at a time, reaffirmed his belief that he'd made a good decision in asking her to come along. While he endured teasing from Marie about "the girl at the flower shop," he welcomed the new banter.

It'd been a while since he'd put himself on the dating scene, for he'd tried to jump back into it too soon after his incident and ended up hurting himself in the long run. His mother hadn't handled that break up well, so James had decided to keep himself out of it entirely and focus on taking care of her. He didn't think his mother would mind this girl though. She even said as much as she saw him getting ready on Saturday night, though their conversation was short lived as he gave her a mug of the tea Daisy had gifted him. It had calmed her more than anything, but quiet was better than nothing.

He said goodbye to his mother as he rushed out the door, checking his phone for any messages from Daisy. They'd agreed to meet at the flower shop, since he knew the route from his home by heart now. It was nearing 7:30, and Marie had told him to be there a little early to help her set up. She was supposed to be picking up some of her family from the airport, and apparently, James was the only one she trusted to light the actual bonfire.

Without realizing it, James found himself sitting in the parking lot, waiting for Daisy to emerge. It was a little scary how fast he'd gotten here, but he tried not to think about it. He didn't want to appear overly excited, but he didn't want to look bored either. Damn, how do people do this every day? he thought, almost running a hand through his hair before remembering the styling gel he'd carefully combed in. His hair was waved up in the front, though the sides still wavered in any breeze that came about. He wore a casual, black button-down shirt with the sleeves rolled up to his elbows. His checkered scar was wrapped flat around his wrist and tied in a small bow under his wrist. It had been the only thing his mother had helped him with all night, even though her hands had shook while she grasped the scarf.

James shook his head; he didn't want to think about anything sad. Tonight was supposed to fun, and without the awkwardness of a customer-employer relationship, perhaps Daisy would be more open to him. He clicked his phone on, sending her a short message to let her know he was here. It was then that the nervousness fluttered around his stomach, causing him to grip his steering wheel a little too hard and heat to radiate up his arms. No... bad fire, he argued to himself, willing the flames to recede, just for a time. He had to make this night go well... no wildfires allowed.

• Love
Daisy had sweated over her outfit choice since the night before the bonfire. She didn't have any 'girlfriends' that she could turn to for advice regarding what to wear, and usually her fashion consistent of blouses and jeans with boring flat shoes. She barely went out, and this was...by god...this was the first date of her life. Of course there were times before in coffee shops that she may have stopped in, or at the gardening allotment where guys offered her their numbers or asked her to join them for a coffee...but never once had she actually accepted the invitation. Now she was questioning just why she had taken James' offer to join him at Marie's bonfire.

She had kept herself well occupied through the day, milling about in her store before closing early to go home to shower and change. The store was closed all day the next day, too, with Daisy deciding to have some more relaxing time at home. Especially with the change of seasons.

While they had agreed on picking her up from the store, with Daisy knowing that he knew the way better and agreeing it would be better as he wouldn't have to worry about finding his way to her house...she was careful to make it obvious that that was the only reason why she didn't want him coming to her house. She couldn't exactly come outright with it and say it made her uncomfortable to know that he knew where she lived. Not that she thought he was a psychopath or anything...it was just that they were only really getting to know one another. The only other person who knew her address, now that Judy had passed, was her postman.

Receiving James' text message that he was in the parking lot, Daisy took in a deep breath and checked her reflection in the mirror around the back of her store once more. She had decided to leave her dark hair down for once, but there was a hairband at her wrist in case the breeze picked up through the night. She had eventually, after much deliberation, picked out a soft white dress and a thick brown belt which matched the brown boots on her feet. A denim jacket was layered over the top, and she held a brown clutch bag tightly in hand. Checking her light make-up in the mirror one last time and sweeping her hair onto her one shoulder, Daisy took a deep breath and exited the store.

With her increasing nerves, Daisy's eyes darted to any approaching or nearby foliage to make sure that her own powers weren't being a nuisance or showing themselves where they shouldn't ought to be. Especially as she neared the car park.

Biting her lower lip, she searched the few remaining cars for James' familiar face and provided an awkward wave as she eventually spotted him. Picking up her pace and pulling her clutch closer to her stomach, Daisy pulled open the car door to slip into the passenger seat. Immediately she smoothed out the skirt to cover her legs, clutch being placed on her lap so she could hold the skirt down. Daisy took a deep breath and looked up to him, flicking some hair from her eyes as she took in his appearance.

"You look...you look nice." Daisy offered hesitantly, clearing her throat and inwardly wincing at her inexperience. "You look good." She tried again, thumbnail picking at the seam on her clutch bag. "Thank you for inviting me tonight...it's been awhile since I've seen something other than my home or the store." This time she visible winced, realizing how sad that sounded. She wasn't a spinster, for god's sake. "I mean with being so busy with the store and whatever-" She decided to cut herself off, before she made it any worse.

• Love
James drummed his fingers on his steering wheel, his phone bright in the growing darkness as the sun dipped down below the horizon. He knew he shouldn't have expected an immediate reply, but when the phone didn't buzz, he flipped it over on his leg and blocked the light. She could have decided to stand him up and declare that he wasn't worth her time. Perhaps if he'd asked her on the first day he met her, she might have done such a thing. Now, however… she didn't seem capable of true hurt. She had only been protecting herself, something he knew well. She seemed like the type to keep things bottled up, afraid to tell anyone about anything that might hurt them. He knew far too well what it was like to live like that, even as he kept living like that. If Daisy truly was different than everyone else, perhaps he could trust her with what he kept inside every day.

The door squeaked as she pulled the handle, dragging James out of his own thoughts. He smiled and gave a small wave as he let her sit down and put her seatbelt on. He'd made sure to clean out any trash before today, since he didn't need to look like a slob. He had a habit of ordering takeout food, which was the extent of his social interaction outside of talking to Marie. Despite what Daisy thought, James was not exactly the pinnacle of friendship. He spent too much time working and taking care of his mother to try for any relationships. He'd been to a few bars and talked to some people, but he preferred to relax in his off time and calculate how long it would take him to move out of town with his mother. They couldn't stay in one place for more than a few years, not after what happened.

"Oh, uh, thanks," he said with another small smile. He started to return her compliment, but her stutter caught him off guard. Of course she was nervous; some half-random stranger had asked her to a bonfire. By all accounts, he sounded like more of a serial killer than a potential date. Still, she had at least trusted him to take her out, and he was going to live up to that expectation. He backed up as she cut herself off, but he shook his head as he wound the car around the parking lot. "No, I get it," he said, glancing her way before he pulled out onto the street. "I don't go out that much either, though I don't have a store to run like you do. I just work on a farm."

Luckily, Marie's place wasn't too far from the flower shop, and James was able to make light conversation about the shop until they made it there. At the very least, they could fall back on the flowers if they ran out of things to talk about. He knew he was the first one there since no one else was parked out on the side of Marie's house. There wasn't much of a driveway, but he took the spot closest to her garage and got out. The garage was open, and Marie was inside, grabbing several things from her fridge while her son clung to her leg. "You need some help?" James asked as he and Daisy walked up.

Marie turned at the waist, immediately grinning as she saw Daisy. "Oh, hey, James," she said, balancing a bag and a bottle in one hand. "And your plus one. You're Daisy, right? The girl from the flower shop James talks about all the time?"

James bit back a retort, and he was glad for the dim lighting in her garage. "I'm… gonna go light the fire," he said in too rushed of a tone before he darted off.

"You know where the matches are!" she called after him before glancing back to Daisy. "It's too easy to tease him."

• Love