Status
Not open for further replies.
Overgrown with nature would happen at around 5-10, they, like so many other post apoc thinkers, just goofed their time frame up. I share the same problems, but it doesn't bug me too much.

Tangerine, it's cool if Mr.Foster knows Enrique. As a matter of fact his skill set makes it so he's semi-famous around the FireFly organization. Not necessarily his name but some of the shit he's done.

I just hated the whole 'it's 20 years after the outbreak' nonsense. Nevermind the fact that all canned food would be bad, batteries (even rechargeable ones) would no longer work, gas mask filters would be bad, gasoline would have gone bad, etc. 20 years after the end of civilization, if industrialization hadn't resumed at some point in between? We'd be back to medieval level technology, not trundling along with the remnants of modern technology like they were in that game.

Buuuuut they wanted to have the whole overgrown with nature thing going for them, so they had to pick 20. Just a shame they only went half-ass with the consequences of that much time having passed, and ignored all the other ramifications... >.>

Writing up the deets for this roleplay really made me realize how many plot holes there are in this story. Like... the Infected decay over time into new stages of the infection. Why are there still stalkers and runners if they should have turned into clickers and bloaters a long time ago? They wouldn't've been able to take a car halfway across the country what with the issue of bad gas, finding edible food on the road would be nigh impossible.

I can see how they still have some sorts of tech around. I'm under the impression the Quarantine Zones have some sort of ability to manufacture things like guns, armor, the infection detector, etc. so the tech level they've retained doesn't seem too implausible but they never do mention how difficult finding food and water would be, or maintaining things like the masks. You can make filters but they never really mention how they got the masks.

Shhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh we dont concern ourselves with the problems.

They could be using Mad Max air conditioning filters put into skull masks!

Mad-Max-Fury-Road-Immortan-Joe.jpg

Buuuut really, it's the flaw with any post-apoc. The world's either truly over or society'd recover fairly well. Even the best examples (World War Z, Station 11) don't quite get the details right. That said, it's about the characters and the story moreso than the world ending, as with most things. Sure, you can have something like the Road, where the world really is over, but that isn't always what you want. Sometimes you want humans struggling with a mass zombie plague, sometimes you want insanely over-the-top car fights because really, thinking about the mass city fires and nuclear reactor meltdowns that would ensue a year after humans left them is crushingly depressing.

Sadly I never actually played it... but I did spend hours watching my roommate play. Which was an exercise in patience-building for me because he was so awful at playing, and also amazingly persistent- so he'd play through a section 20 times before he finally beat it- expending all his ammo and shivs and fire bombs and then just barely make it to the next area, where he'd have little to no resources to help with that fight, and wind up dying a dozen times before just barely making it through that. Talk about frustrating. #_#

But the game seemed great! :D

I just hated the whole 'it's 20 years after the outbreak' nonsense. Nevermind the fact that all canned food would be bad, batteries (even rechargeable ones) would no longer work, gas mask filters would be bad, gasoline would have gone bad, etc. 20 years after the end of civilization, if industrialization hadn't resumed at some point in between? We'd be back to medieval level technology, not trundling along with the remnants of modern technology like they were in that game.

Buuuuut they wanted to have the whole overgrown with nature thing going for them, so they had to pick 20. Just a shame they only went half-ass with the consequences of that much time having passed, and ignored all the other ramifications... >.>
Holy! You must have the patience of a saint, and your roommate has some serious determination. I've yet to play the game on hard mode difficulty, so I've never seen a stalker (I think, sometimes it's difficult to tell), and I don't think I'd have the patience to keep retrying over and over again, heh. I do agree about the 20 years later thing. I thought that was a bit much. And like @J_"Kraken" said, 5-10 probably would have been sufficient for the whole nature thing. (Which I love, it looks awesome.) They could have elaborated a bit more in the other areas though for sure. I think they tried, but they were more focused on the story and characters than all the other details, which over all I don't mind. If the character's stories are compelling enough I can usually forgive the other mistakes. :)

They could be using Mad Max air conditioning filters put into skull masks!

Mad-Max-Fury-Road-Immortan-Joe.jpg

Buuuut really, it's the flaw with any post-apoc. The world's either truly over or society'd recover fairly well. Even the best examples (World War Z, Station 11) don't quite get the details right. That said, it's about the characters and the story moreso than the world ending, as with most things. Sure, you can have something like the Road, where the world really is over, but that isn't always what you want. Sometimes you want humans struggling with a mass zombie plague, sometimes you want insanely over-the-top car fights because really, thinking about the mass city fires and nuclear reactor meltdowns that would ensue a year after humans left them is crushingly depressing.
Hah! Mad Max. Buncha crazies. But yeah, that makes sense. And The Last of Us was already depressing enough without all that other stuff. XD

Writing up the deets for this roleplay really made me realize how many plot holes there are in this story. Like... the Infected decay over time into new stages of the infection. Why are there still stalkers and runners if they should have turned into clickers and bloaters a long time ago? They wouldn't've been able to take a car halfway across the country what with the issue of bad gas, finding edible food on the road would be nigh impossible.

I can see how they still have some sorts of tech around. I'm under the impression the Quarantine Zones have some sort of ability to manufacture things like guns, armor, the infection detector, etc. so the tech level they've retained doesn't seem too implausible but they never do mention how difficult finding food and water would be, or maintaining things like the masks. You can make filters but they never really mention how they got the masks.
Yep, that seems like it would be a good guess. Places where people are gathered in large numbers would have resumed making things like that, since they'd have a wide range of skill sets and whatnot, I'd imagine. Twenty years is a long damn time to cover, so they probably just glossed over a lot of stuff, like putting it into tape recordings (there's that battery issue XD) and notes left by survivors and that sort of thing. They KINDA addressed the food issue in the beginning, talking about rations running out, and showing other zones that were destroyed because the people in charge kept taking the food for themselves instead of doling it out like they were supposed to. Not to mention the Hunters who ate people because other sources of 'meat' were hard to come by. Nothing like a little soylent green to start your day off right. =P

But yes. There were definitely holes that needed filling. Maybe we can address those in the roleplay, hm? ;)

Tangerine, it's cool if Mr.Foster knows Enrique. As a matter of fact his skill set makes it so he's semi-famous around the FireFly organization. Not necessarily his name but some of the shit he's done.
All right, awesome. I would imagine so, haha, given his fondness for bashing in the heads of infected. He'd be very handy in a fight for sure. =D

Also @Rainjay - I like the pic you used for Zoe. Gotta love Lauren Cohan. XD

Maybe we can address those in the roleplay, hm? ;)
How do you mean? By making the problems more realistically present? Or finding ways to hand wave/lampshade their inclusion?

And on an unrelated note... Rainjay, would you mind changing the title of this thread (if possible) to 'The Last of Us: Last Hope OOC' or something? This thread and the IC thread have the exact same title so it really makes the Alerts quite confusing... :P

Yeah. I almost posted in the OOC o.o

• Bucket of Rainbows
Reactions: 1 person
Mmm found her picture while scrolling through Facebook and had an aha moment!

That would be interesting indeed. I like it.
I love it when things come together like that. :)

How do you mean? By making the problems more realistically present? Or finding ways to hand wave/lampshade their inclusion?

And on an unrelated note... Rainjay, would you mind changing the title of this thread (if possible) to 'The Last of Us: Last Hope OOC' or something? This thread and the IC thread have the exact same title so it really makes the Alerts quite confusing... :P
I was thinking more along the lines of the former. We could have our characters encounter problems that would fit more realistically within the realms of the environment, such as the problems of food, gas, etc. @Rainjay mentioned the CC Firefly group trying to plant a garden or something similar for food sources, so there's that. But maybe with these other issues our characters will need to come up with creative and resourceful ways to fix problems rather than just 'happening' upon things?

Also, I agree with the name change. The alerts for both this and the IC thread make my head hurt. =P

Anybody get a "The Road" vibe from Kraken's posts?

I've never seen the movie or read the book, but I'll probably do both now thanks to all the mentions. XD

And on a random note, my character made it to the Corpus Christi firefly group by helping another group from there that was out in Oklahoma on a mission from Zoe. Quite a distance, that. But the remaining firefly survivor's name was Patrick, and he died just shy of CC and sent Colton the rest of the way. So if anyone would like to have their character have known Patrick (or any of the unnamed fireflies that died) and have that influence how he/she views Colton or anything as a means of character relationships, feel free. Patrick was kind of a 'nerd,' complete with glasses. Smart, helpful, and--some might say--overly kind. But nobody obviously needs to have known him. I was just throwing it out there. :)

@Rainjay -- Colton was also tasked with giving Zoe a journal documenting the doomed firefly group's exploits along with a buttload of information about the things they encountered or found. I can PM you the details if you wish. Maybe something in there could help with a future story plot and/or influence her view about Colton's character. =D

Reactions: Rainjay
Just to let everyone know, I'm traveling out of state right now and won't have access to WiFi until I get back, presumably on Friday. I still have my phone so I can post a bit but longer messages will be tough to write.

I didn't realize their motivations were similar until I finished up that last post, but it makes sense. Winters would get pretty damn awful assuming fires and the like broke out.

Thanks for letting us know Insomnant. And I will alter the name asap.

• Thank You
Reactions: 1 person
Hey guys! Finally got a bit of internet connection while visiting the nearest town. We don't even get cell reception at the property where we're building the new house let alone 4G, so I won't be able to participate nearly as much as I'd like until I get back on Friday. Sorry everybody!

Reactions: Rainjay
Hey guys! Finally got a bit of internet connection while visiting the nearest town. We don't even get cell reception at the property where we're building the new house let alone 4G, so I won't be able to participate nearly as much as I'd like until I get back on Friday. Sorry everybody!
That's alright. Have fun with your travels!

Honestly, you let us know beforehand that you'd be away, so it's all good. Thank you again for doing that, by the way.

Reactions: Insomnant
I'll get a post up this weekend. I've been sick all week with strep =.=

Status
Not open for further replies.