Status
Not open for further replies.
Do people mind if I stick on images on posts for NPCs, or is there a preference against? I like it to help visualize characters, but for some people they prefer to imagine the character's appearance on their own, so I thought I'd ask first.

Reactions: Insomnant
I'm fine with it.

Do people mind if I stick on images on posts for NPCs
I actually very much prefer that! When I GM an RP, I tend to provide lots of pictures, usually hyperlinked within the text, to help the players visualize exactly what I'm describing.

Alright, cool! Hehehehehe gonna go find an image for Zoë :)

So we have another person who'd like to join the roleplay. Consensus? Yay, nay?

Sure, but we should also probably talk about setting some sort of time limit for posts. I know this is casual and I'm down with that but there should be an expectation of some level of activity, non?

Sounds fine with me.

I know this is casual and I'm down with that but there should be an expectation of some level of activity, non?
Yeah, and I trust Jay to step in when it becomes an issue. I think it'd have a lot to do with her GM posts, though. Feel free to correct me if I'm wrong, @Rainjay.

Yeah, and I trust Jay to step in when it becomes an issue.
Well my thinking was more that it might be better to say something up front in the hopes of avoiding it becoming an issue, rather than waiting until it is one to try and address it.

But if we'd rather not that's fine. Was just voicing my two cents.

I don't want to require people to post once a week, but do people agree on once every two weeks as the absolute minimum of posting expectations?

Reactions: ze_kraken
Yeah, this is not my main RP at the moment so I will defintiely post but not every time someone else posts.

Reactions: Rainjay
Hi all. I'll try to get my post up tomorrow. I'm working with our newcomer, @The Clockwork Tangerine on a CS.

Reactions: ze_kraken
Name: Colton Foster

Height: 5' 10"
Weight: 155 lbs.

Hometown: Red Rock, Oklahoma

Family: Marietta & Greg Foster (guardians, deceased), Tracy Foster (non-biological sister, missing and presumed dead)

Background: Colton was born just inside Red Rock, Oklahoma, in the basement of an abandoned home. His biological parents were not the best people in the world. After a few months, they decided that if they were going to survive, they certainly didn't need a baby to feed and whose cries would alert the infected at all hours of the day. So they left him in that basement and went back to living on their own. At least they were kind enough to leave whatever baby food they had scavenged, barricade the door, and write a note just in case someone passed through with more common decency than them. Thankfully, someone did. A man named Greg Foster, who lived in a large encampment to the east, was out with a scavenging team when he found the message: "May God Forgive Us, the Child is in the Basement," scrawled in black smudges that looked like charcoal on the door of the house. The first half of the message wasn't uncommon. The second half made Greg's stomach turn. He expected to go into the basement and find a small corpse. But he heard the cries when he went into the house. The man gathered the food that had been left behind, shoved it in his pack, and took the baby, traveling back with his group by truck. Marietta was stunned, and Tracy, then three, was delighted. They named him Colton, and from then on he was a Foster.

He was fourteen when they told him that he was 'unofficially adopted.' Colton wasn't surprised. After all, he didn't look anything like them. But he didn't really care. They had taken him in, raised him, fed him, protected him, and cared about him, and that was really all that mattered. The Fosters may not have been blood, but they were his family: simple as that. He did his best to stay out of trouble, though when he was with his older sister Tracy that was easier said than done. Still, he turned out pretty well despite how he came into the world. Four-and-a-half years later, Red Rock went up in flames. Molotov cocktails sailed over the walls of the encampment like missiles. Explosions rocked the ground under Colton's feet. It was the first time such a large assault had hit them, and they were entirely unprepared. It was chaos. The smell of charred bodies almost made him puke. Blood was everywhere. Gunfire filled the air with sharp, rapid cracks. Tracy managed to find him in the chaos. Their parents had been killed. Mowed down near the south wall. Colton could barely function through the shock. All he could hear was screaming, Tracy crying and telling him they had to go, and a man's voice, clear as day, shouting: "Fireflies!" The word didn't make sense to him then, but it did later. Much later. When Colton finally snapped to, he and Tracy made a run for it, heading for the path they always took when they were up to no good. They never made it. A few of the raiders caught them, and two of them dragged Tracy away screaming while Colton could do nothing but yell and struggle against the ones who remained to hold him back. A man came forward. Colton suspected he was the leader and spat every curse he could think of at him. Then everything went black.

When Colton came to, his head was throbbing and the world felt like it was on a seesaw, making him want to puke all over again. Why was he still alive? He groaned and pushed himself to his hands and feet, his vision finally clearing up. On the ground in front of him—the smell of spray paint still fresh—was the stylized silhouette of a firefly. An arrow was pointing to the southwest. Under the symbol were the words: "Follow the Light." Almost like a challenge. It was a challenge Colton accepted wholeheartedly in his blind hate and rage, and though it ultimately led to finding the Corpus Christi contingent, HOW he got there is something that he'll regret for the rest of his life. He's determined to make up for these monumental and deadly mistakes by doing everything he can to help his fellow fireflies succeed.

Strengths

*Keeps calm and carries on. Mostly.
*Willingness to follow directions as long as those directions make sense to him. Otherwise, he won't be afraid to call B.S.
*Dependable: When entrusted with a task, you can be sure it'll get done and get done right. If it isn't, it's because something more important demanded his attention, or something went very wrong.
*Loyal: His trust in not easy to earn, but once given, he is usually a friend for life.
*Fast and agile
*Skilled shot with a bow and arrows
*Near expert lock-picking skills
*Good at detecting traps such as tripwires, pressure switches, etc.

Weaknesses

*Outbursts: They don't happen often, but when they do it's usually because someone pushed him too hard or prodded too deep into his personal life. He despises busybodies.

*Disregard for personal safety: Out in the field, he can be a bit of a "try hard," as the 'cool' kids would say. Though he always tries to find the easiest route (work smarter, not harder), extraordinary circumstances might find him pulling off some hair-brained scheme to save someone else, especially if that person is a valued companion. He's also been known to try and rescue complete strangers out of a bizarre desperation that is rarely—if ever—seen inside the safety of camp.

*Deflection: Colton has a habit of deflecting any and all personal questions, especially around strangers. Oddly, the closer you are to him though, the less likely you are to know anything about him. This behavior has a habit of carrying over into physical problems, such as him not letting anyone know he has a horrible backache or migraine when they ask him to take care of something because he doesn't want to disappoint. May end up coming back to bite him in the arse.

*Secretive: When not on guard duty, out on a scavenging mission, or otherwise occupied, he appears to vanish. He never goes off to the same place twice in a row, and can sometimes be hard to track down, which may lead to suspicion since he deflects anytime someone works up the nerve to ask him where he was or what he was doing.

Inventory

* Compound Bow and Quiver (x27 arrows)
* Trench Knife
* Worn Green Rucksack
* Hip Holster w/10mm Handgun (x3 extra mags in rucksack pocket)
* Canteen (either hooked to his waist or in his pack)
* Homemade Sewing Kit (various size needles, patches, and thread, for fixing up clothing or people)
* Insulated Hooded Jacket (he likes to keep the rare pack of smokes and matches or lighter in the pockets)
* Lockpick Set
*Wears hiking boots, cargo pants, t-shirt, and finger-less gloves
*Extra long-sleeved shirts, socks, thermal pants (for layering during cold weather)
*Firefly Dog Tags of Patrick Davis

Last edited by a moderator:
Hello all, and thank you for allowing me into the fold. :D @Rainjay - I just noticed a slight calculating error in my character's backstory which I will edit to fit the timeline. Please let me know if everything else looks kosher. I also went and made my first IC post. I made some assumptions about the layout (such as there being rafters), and the possibility of Colton and Enrique having been on the same scavenging team in a past outing. Is that okay with you guys, @Rainjay, @HellHoundWoof? Let me know if it isn't and I'll fix it asap. :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Welcome to the roleplay (and to the site), ACT. Way to really hit the ground rolling!

• Thank You
Reactions: 1 person
Hello all, and thank you for allowing me into the fold. :D @Rainjay - I just noticed a slight calculating error in my character's backstory which I will edit to fit the timeline. Please let me know if everything else looks kosher. I also went and made my first IC post. I made some assumptions about the layout (such as there being rafters), and the possibility of Colton and Enrique having been on the same scavenging team in a past outing. Is that okay with you guys, @Rainjay, @HellHoundWoof? Let me know if it isn't and I'll fix it asap. :)
I'm cool w/ people making assumptions of the environment. I'm trying to take as little GM roles here as possible. It's the apocalypse! Make stuff up! Have fun with it.

I'm working on my post now, guys. Should be up in an hour.

• Name: Colton Foster
    Hometown: Red Rock, Oklahoma

• HairStyle (slightly shorter in the front)

Build/Body Type

Height: 5'10
    Weight: 155 lbs.

• Family: Marietta & Greg Foster (Adoptive parents, deceased), Tracy Foster (Adoptive Sister, missing and presumed dead)

Background: Colton was born just inside Red Rock, Oklahoma, in the basement of an abandoned home. His biological parents were not the best people in the world. After a few months, they decided that if they were going to survive, they certainly didn't need a baby to feed and whose cries would alert the infected at all hours of the day. So they left him in that basement and went back to living on their own. At least they were kind enough to leave whatever baby food they had scavenged, barricade the door, and write a note just in case someone passed through with more common decency than them. Thankfully, someone did. A man named Greg Foster, who lived in a large encampment to the east, was out with a scavenging team when he found the message: "May God Forgive Us, the Child is in the Basement," scrawled in black smudges that looked like charcoal on the door of the house. The first half of the message wasn't uncommon. The second half made Greg's stomach turn. He expected to go into the basement and find a small corpse. But he heard the cries when he went into the house. The man gathered the food that had been left behind, shoved it in his pack, and took the baby, traveling back with his group by truck. Marietta was shocked, and Tracy, then three, was delighted. They named him Colton, and from then on he was a Foster.

• He was fourteen when they told him that he was 'unofficially adopted.' Colton wasn't surprised. After all, he didn't look anything like them. But he didn't really care. They had taken him in, raised him, fed him, protected him, and cared about him, and that was really all that mattered. The Fosters may not have been blood, but they were his family: simple as that. He did his best to stay out of trouble, though when he was with his older sister Tracy that was easier said than done. Still, he turned out pretty well despite how he came into the world. Four-and-a-half years later, Red Rock went up in flames. Molotov cocktails sailed over the walls of the encampment like missiles. Explosions rocked the ground under Colton's feet. It was the first time such a large assault had hit them, and they were entirely unprepared. It was chaos. The smell of charred bodies almost made him puke. Blood was everywhere. Gunfire filled the air with sharp, rapid cracks. Tracy managed to find him in the chaos. Their parents had been killed. Mowed down near the south wall. Colton could barely function through the shock. All he could hear was screaming, Tracy crying and telling him they had to go, and a man's voice, clear as day, shouting: "Fireflies!" The word didn't make sense to him then, but it did later. Much later. When Colton finally snapped to, he and Tracy made a run for it, heading for the path they always took when they were up to no good. They never made it. A few of the raiders caught them, and two of them dragged Tracy away screaming while Colton could do nothing but yell and struggle against the ones would remained to hold him back. A man came forward. Colton suspected he was the leader and spat every curse he could think of at him. Then everything went black.

When Colton came to, his head was throbbing and the world felt like it was on a seesaw, making him want to puke all over again. Why was he still alive? He groaned and pushed himself to his hands and feet, his vision finally clearing up. On the ground in front of him—the smell of spray paint still fresh—was the stylized silhouette of a firefly. An arrow was pointing to the southwest. Under the symbol were the words: "Follow the Light." Almost like a challenge. It was a challenge Colton accepted wholeheartedly in his blind hate and rage, and though it ultimately led to finding the Corpus Christi contingent, HOW he got there is something that he'll regret for the rest of his life. He's determined to make up for these crucial, deadly mistakes by doing everything he can to help his fellow fireflies succeed.
    (Will reveal the rest IC and edit in later)

I like how his adoptive parent's have the surname Foster. The kind of little thing that makes me excited :P

• Thank You
Reactions: 1 person
I like how his adoptive parent's have the surname Foster. The kind of little thing that makes me excited :P
Haha, you noticed that eh? I came up with the name first and didn't intend for him to be adopted, but it just turned out that way when writing his backstory, so I was thinking about changing it. I'm a sucker for irony though, so it stayed. Glad you liked it. XP

Welcome to the roleplay (and to the site), ACT. Way to really hit the ground rolling!
Thanks! I tend to work a little quicker on things like this. Games and post-apocalyptic scenarios have always been my favorite, so putting the two together is something I can really get behind. Not to mention The Last of Us was one of the best games I've ever played. =)

Reactions: Rainjay
Not to mention The Last of Us was one of the best games I've ever played. =)
Sadly I never actually played it... but I did spend hours watching my roommate play. Which was an exercise in patience-building for me because he was so awful at playing, and also amazingly persistent- so he'd play through a section 20 times before he finally beat it- expending all his ammo and shivs and fire bombs and then just barely make it to the next area, where he'd have little to no resources to help with that fight, and wind up dying a dozen times before just barely making it through that. Talk about frustrating. #_#

But the game seemed great! :D

I just hated the whole 'it's 20 years after the outbreak' nonsense. Nevermind the fact that all canned food would be bad, batteries (even rechargeable ones) would no longer work, gas mask filters would be bad, gasoline would have gone bad, etc. 20 years after the end of civilization, if industrialization hadn't resumed at some point in between? We'd be back to medieval level technology, not trundling along with the remnants of modern technology like they were in that game.

Buuuuut they wanted to have the whole overgrown with nature thing going for them, so they had to pick 20. Just a shame they only went half-ass with the consequences of that much time having passed, and ignored all the other ramifications... >.>

Status
Not open for further replies.