"I just thought I'd try something different, there's no need to be so dramatic. I... I don't know any of the words you just said, anyway. Emo and Tumblr and... I'm not entirely sure what they are, but I'm sure there's an insult in there somewhere," he grumpily muttered in response, grimacing to himself. He wasn't sure why he wanted to try something new when he'd been relatively content with his choice of clothing for all these years, but he needed a change at some point, right?

And when better than now?

"...I'm pretty sure that if I stayed in the sun for too long, I'll burn. I won't 'tan'. I burn, I'll be all red and peeling and I won't be at all happy with that," he pointed out, frowning further. "Fine. I'll just... deal with it, hm? I'm sure me walking around like a lobster will be a great source of amusement for you and your friend."

"First of all, you're a God. If you burn in the sun, then you really are a hermit. Secondly, there's this beautiful invention that the humans made called sunscreen. It's essentially this cream that you put over yourself to shield yourself from the sun. I don't need it myself but I've been with plenty of guys who lob themselves up with it. Seriously, just relax. If you end up looking like a lobster, there's concealer to cover it up."

With a heavy yawn, Proteus practically tossed the phone onto the marble coffee table with complete disregard. He settled on a channel selling scarves, only to critique the style of the middle-aged white women and their overpriced clothing. It was something he did when he couldn't sleep anyway."

• Useful
Reactions: potassiumboron
For once, Daeron was actually quite content to leave the conversation as it was and not continue it with more grumpy ramblings. He was happy to just let Proteus have the last word, because the God wasn't the sort of person who usually felt he needed to end conversations. Daeron often preferred not to talk at all, so he had no reservations in offering a simple 'hm' and snuggling under the covers further, his eyes locking on the TV without really taking any of it in. He wasn't going to sleep (he never really did) but he did sort of zone out and relax, which was what he wanted to do--

Until Cordelia entered, anyway. With her duvet wrapped around herself and a scowl etched onto her face, she physically shoved Proteus' legs from the couch so she could sit herself down inbetween him and Daeron-- though she barely looked in his direction.

"I'm fucking furious at you. I wanted to sleep and I can here wittering away and-- fucking hell, I need my sleep. But nope, I'm not going to be able to get a wink now, am I?" She grunted under her breath, pulling her frizzy hair into a band and slumping down angrily with her feet propped on the coffee table. "Since when were you two best buds, then? Cheers for, you know, not calling me to join in. You've got popcorn and the shopping channels-- you know I like taking the piss out of these women, Proteus."

"You wanted to sleep, I didn't think you wanted to waste your time watching this shit," he replied simply as he took a large handful of the popcorn to shove into his own mouth, his free hand moving to take a picture of himself once swallowing down the handful, using the light of the television to somehow take a perfect selfie, smiling as he hurriedly typed 'late night trash' with a heart for emphasis.

"Don't worry, Dee, you would still look beautiful whether you stayed up for a whole month," he coped affectionately as he sat criss-cross on the couch once being pushed to sit up. "They've been selling wool sweaters and copper cookware for forever. Not going to lie, the last time we did this, I was definitely tempted to buy one of those juicers. I could also just go to the juice bar down the street, though..." he murmured,

"And I've told you before, we aren't ever going into that juice bar again. That little bitch who works there literally tried to kill me. It's a long story Daeron but it's the classic tale of one girl dumping another, and then the other girl being a crazy psycho who thought it was totally fine to break in, douse me in petrol and try to light me up like a fucking candle," grunted Cordelia, still shuddering at the fact that said girl was still in the same town, going about her normal life as though she hadn't attempted murder. Then again, Cordelia hadn't gone to the police about it, so she really couldn't expect anything to change all by itself.

"Then it's final!" Proteus blurted as he ran his fingers through his hair, a smile growing. "We're getting a juicer, then. Where else am I supposed to get my favorite kale/mango juice without that cute juice bar? I mean, life is too short - or, rather, life here. Look, I'll use my time to buy useless shit that no one needed."

With a grunt, he moved to type away at the Amazon app, grinning wickedly once clicking the Prime button. With a laugh, he turned to Cordelia. "We have a juicer now. What about a panini press? Why not, right?! Who cares."

"Ooh, could you get me some novelty egg timers? I don't even cook eggs, we hardly cook at all, but I saw some on TV the other day and they were adorable. Like you said, why not? Fuck it, let's enjoy ourselves, right? Why can't we fucking buy what we want? We should splash out for once," cooed the girl in agreement, pressing in close to set her eyes on her friend's phone. Admittedly, the new desire to really do whatever she wanted did come in retaliation to the Gods back Home. Knowing they had been monitoring her behaviour and wanted her and Proteus to stop their reckless lifestyles wasn't an incentive to stop.

It was a push in the entire other direction - she really didn't care what she did now. If she was going to be forced Home soon, she was going to make sure her last days in this realm were the very best.

"They have ones shaped like chicks, ain't that the cutest thing?" He coped in response as he showed Cordelia, then handed the phone over to Daeron with a crooked grin. Lounging back, he cracked his back a tad and snorted.

"Hey, if you want to order anything, have at it," he insisted as he watched the other God, a brow raised. "I mean, if you want to. You can open your eyes to some more modern technology, if you want. I suggest you get a phone so I can text you some cute pics while you're inside, eh?"

"Oh, why are you asking that bore? He thinks we're whores, Proteus. He's so uptight and dreadfully boring." Cordelia began in her usual exasperated tone, one that seemed to be permanent when talking to or discussing Daeron. She didn't understand why her best friend of literal centuries was even bothering to show a degree of interest in him, but then again, her friend had shown interest in people she hardly expected him to in the past. She usually just let him get on with it at this point. If he liked the grumpy, blackly-dressed God sitting wrapped in a duvet nearby, she wouldn't pester him about it.

Even if she thought it was ridiculous.

"...Maybe... I don't know what I'd like," shrugged the God as he awkwardly held the phone, as though it might blow up in his face if he held it closer to him. "...I'd like more blankets. Can you order them?"

"You can order them, sure. It is supposed to be pretty rainy and damp for the next few days. Isn't that lovely?" He cooed, completely serious as he took another handful of the popcorn. Maybe it was because he was tired, or a bit drunk, but it was clear that he probably shouldn't make many financial decisions. That didn't matter, of course, as he moved to snuggle up against Cordelia.

"We'll go out on the beach, then I'll go and call up those guys from the other night. They were cute, yeah? Plus they'd probably kiss the ground I walk on, which is cute. Don't worry, I won't bring them home, Daeron," he reassured as he closed his eyes.

"Oh, you are not seriously going to call those jerks up, are you? I'd never begrudge you the chance to be with some fit young men, Proteus, but they were neither 'fit' nor 'young'. You could do better," came the disapproving frown from Cordelia. Unlike the frown that came from Daeron, who was simply bewildered with the fascination of 'hooking up', she as more disgruntled with the fact her friend -her best friend- was planning to go with people she deemed to be 'unworthy' of his attention.

"You could be with models, don't settle for average folk," she continued with a faint smile. "I sound like such a snobby bitch, but still. You could have any guy you wanted."

"Clearly I couldn't," he grumbled bitterly as he stared at the television. "If I could get anyone I wanted, my phone would be blowing up. Sure, I get DMs a lot but... I dunno, it's not the same. Plus, just because they aren't drop dead gorgeous doesn't mean they aren't cute, Cordelia." He insisted, though grew quiet as tears began to spring to his eyes.

"I'm desperate, Dee. I've been feeling like shit lately, and with the drop of the fact that we're going to have to go Home soon is scary. Fucking... No one likes us there. We'll be separated, then what? We'll be forced back into our boring roles and I'll be alone again."

"Are you fucking for real? We aren't going Home unless they come down and force us themselves. Now, while that's possible, I doubt it'll happen. Those big narcissistic piles of shit won't step down here just for you and I. They're too 'superior' to be caught dead around humans. I think we're safe. I don't know why you're stressing out," she admitted with a faint smile, lifting his head up with her hand to try and tease out a smile from him.

"Besides, if they do try, we have Daeron to side with us. He's one of the OGs, right? One of the 'Original Gods'. It'll be good having him on our side if they do come. As pathetic as he looks, he's bound to be useful in some capacity," she continued, her voice not bothering to lower to protect Daeron from her insults. She didn't care that much about him to try and spare his feelings. "And hey, if you want some affection, I'm always here~! I know I'm not really your type, doll, but we can always cuddle."

"I know," he said through sniffles as he wiped the snot on his sleeve. "I'm trying to be optimistic, I really am, but... i-it's hard, you know? I don't want anything to change, but life is always changing and that's scary. I don't want to lose you, a-and I mean, I don't want to lose Daeron either. I know you two don't get along, but he's clearly not as bad as everyone says he is. I-I don't want to leave all of this behind, you know? This place as been more welcoming to us than all of Home was."

"And who said we'd be leaving it behind? Honestly, sweetheart, I think you're overreacting a little. We aren't going Home. This is our home now and... I don't intend on getting separated with you even if we are dragged back. Just relax," she tutted, leaning back and stretching her long legs across his lap, if only to help relax and calm him down with the more relaxed posture on her end. "Honestly, we're alright. We aren't some little weaklings, either."

Pursing his lips tight, he sank back a tad himself. Rather than easing back from relaxing, though, it was mostly in thought of the impending doom of leaving California, where he had felt he belonged the most. Glancing over at the grandios clock besides the glass stairwell, that of which read 3 in the morning, he let out a heavy groan. Setting his hands on the orher's legs, he let his eyes close in thought.

"What would we do if they did come down here?" He whispered. "I mean, I'm not very strong, emotionally or physically. I'll probably break down the minute I see my Father, probably,"

"...Fuck your father. He thinks he's big and strong, but honestly, he's an ass. He's one of the originals, yeah? But so is Daeron. We have him on our side," grinned Cordelia, finally seeming to offer the other God a compliment-- though it seemed rather redundant to her when she noticed the darkly-clad man with his eyes closed and cuddled into a pillow. She wasn't aware that he couldn't sleep, that he was simply resting his stinging eyes, and assumed he'd just crashed out in exhaustion.

"He's a fucking asshole too, but he's all we have, hon. He's an original, he's bound to have a few tricks up his sleeve to help us."

"Why would he want to?" He replied with a snort as he grabbed the last few kernels of the popcorn. After Cordelia always complaining about them, Proteus had decided to just try a nibble one day - only to realize they were delicious. They were always extra buttery and just the right amount of crunch, so why not? Audibly making a crunch with the hard kernels, he glanced back at the tea with a yawn.

"We've been assholes to him, Dee. Why would he want to help us in any way? Like, I don't blame him if he doesn't want to. If he doesn't, he can go back to the cave he lived in back at Home," he explained incredulously.

'You do both realise that I'm not sleeping, don't you?" Tiredly grumbled the God in reply. He was tired, constantly exhausted, but he was physically incapable of sleep. It was honestly a shame because sleeping would grant him several hours away from the voices in his head. Sadly, he had to constantly put up with them every second of every goddamn day. Dealing with these two talking about him like he was asleep when he'd been pretty open about the fact he couldn't was just an extra annoyance to add to the growing list he had.

"...Look, I said I'd help, didn't I? I can't promise much. I'd rather be away from them Gods than with them, trust me."

"... So are you saying you'd like to stay on Earth?" He murmured curiously as he locked his eyes on the quiet God. "You'd rather stay here than in that cave of yours, huh? I mean... you could just pretend that you haven't found us, you know? Stay oblivious, a-and... I mean, you could live with us, if you wanted to - or just go find your own place. We aren't forcing you here. I don't want to go Home, is all. We don't belong there, Daeron. We belong among the humans." He explained sternly before lifting Cordelia's legs to wander to the kitchen, grabbing a beer.