Soul Series: The Beginning ~OOC~

Status
Not open for further replies.
Bit afraid I'm not really a person that knows much about hiking footwear, @Rai'Athar . I have pair of Belleville US combat boots from surplus.

Well...its something >.>

Reactions: rissa
I haven't written in first person for a very, very long time because most people are haters. . . I hope you guys don't mind.

• Love
Reactions: Ramboing and rissa
I haven't written in first person for a very, very long time because most people are haters. . . I hope you guys don't mind.

I love the post myself, but it sorta breaks the flow?

I love the post myself, but it sorta breaks the flow?
Thanks. I agree that the transitions between Mathais' thoughts aren't as smooth as I would like them to be. It should be a problem that fixes itself once I get more accustomed to writing in first person, again.

@Rai'Athar

By flow I only meant that everyone else's post is in third person whereas Mathias' is in first. I have no qualms with first person pov, and you write in it quite well, but does it fit? When I reread the thread (which I seem to do a lot) and then get to your post it's a bit jarring.

But what I say doesn't matter much, just givin' my two cents is all. :p

I actually agree with fyrelily. If we were all first person that would be ok with me, but here it is very jarring. Not going to lie I match characters with names rather than profiles as well, so when I see 'I did x', I see 'Rai'Athar did x' rather than Mathias. I would personally prefer a third person perspective.

@Rai'Athar I doubt my word means anything but I think your first person narratives really helps show emotions and thoughts in a more personal way. In third person its hard to be personal and show really what your character thinks or feels compared to first person. Though I have to agree with @fyrelily on how all the posts flow together in this story. Having a section of first person makes the whole story feel... awkward. Not to say thats because of your writing skills because I think you did a wonderful job of showing who Mathias is. But its just strange (I dont think thats the best way to put it) to see "I."

I'll own the fact that I'm not a huge fan of first person. Whenever I GM something I make sure to specify that all posts should be in 3rd.

That said, it was a well written post and as long as the GM is ok with it I am too. ^_^

Well... I'm always somewhat surprised why people don't write in first person more often, especially in RP things. It always felt much more natural and flowy to me. I'm actually going against my belief this time and not writing in ich form...

Why do people actually don't like the first person perspective writing? I can understand that it stands out a bit if others write in third person, but it never appear to me as such a notable issue.

Last edited by a moderator:
  • Thank You
Reactions: Rai'Athar
It's really just preference, I guess. The break of flow is the big thing for me, but I think I'd have trouble even in a game where everyone is using first. One thing that was mentioned above is that having the character(s) named in a post helps me remember them specifically against the other characters. Especially in big games, it's hard to keep track of everyone as individuals until you know them and, for me, having the cue of their name mentioned helps. I think that first person is lovely when it's used for a narrative focusing on one person's point of view, such as Nick in the Great Gatsby or Katniss in the Hunger games. These stories are anchored in that specific person's point of view but by an RPGs very nature you have more than one character, often several so I feel like third person moves people away from "focus on my character" to more "focus on my character's part in the greater story". RPGs are a group activity after all.

I also find the repeated use of the word "I" to be jarring however, there are people who write in third who start every single sentence with He/She or their characters name so this is more about lack of experience than tense.

tl;dr I'm basically just old and grumpy.

I'm not overly fond of first person. But I did like th post. Also expect a post Monday tomorrow :)

@Winter Oh great and wise Queen of Cold, I am glad you found my post to your liking. I was listening to this while I was writing it.

Post and next cycle tonight! :D

That post was a huge pile of bad. Sorry guys, the site is lagging for some reason and it's sort of thrown me >.<

Status
Not open for further replies.