Something-or-Anothers: Tales of the Confused Adventure's Shenanigans

• So many newbies lately! Here is a very important PSA about one of our most vital content policies! Read it even if you are an ancient member!
"I'm not necessarily afraid of combat..." Sage mumbled softly as she looked at the paper. Wolves were scary, but she was pretty sure there are much scarier things out their then a few wolves. Sage took a deep breath and tried to calm herself, "Alright... says in the evening, so I guess we better get some sleep now. How do we accept a quest? Or did we already accept it? Oh, you know I was overhearing other people talk, did you know we can name our team?" Sage asked. She seemed to really peep up a bit now that the initial shock of how little money they had, but really Sage just needed a distraction from the impending dog fight.

Sanz shook his head slowly at Sage
"You can get some sleep if you want. I'll sleep when the job's done."
The man pulled the quest sheet back over to his side of the table
"We aren't signed up just yet. We need to go talk to the Guildmarm to sign up. Everyone participating in the quest needs to be present, then we'll sign off. The guild will make sure that the job is done in a timely manner after we accept the quest, or we're liable to suffer a monetary penalty for not doing our jobs."

Sanz did have to give a little snort at the comment of names.
"Really, what purpose would we have for a team name? There doesn't seem to be much point."
Sanz didn't like unnecessary attention. In his mind, some kind of team name would be useless at best, and cause unwanted attention at worst. Especially if the idea was coming from Sage's mouth... it was probably going to be some kind of ludicrous suggestion.

Sage chuckled a bit and stood up, "Alright, lets go sign up. I'm going to take a fucking nap." Sage told Sanz. She didn't need to be with Sanz all the time and she was tired and needed to sleep. Especially if she was going to fight some fucking dogs. Sage would think of a name soon too. She wanted it to, because it would be fun and she needed fun things for her sanity. God, she really wanted to keep her sanity. Please let her keep her sanity...

"We can eat dinner a little before sundown." Sage told Sanz, "Get our meal in before we have to go fight... ugh." Sage couldn't even say the world wolves out loud.

"Sure. So sign up, you take a nap, maybe I'll go look around town to familiarize myself with the locale, we eat dinner, we go to this farm, we beat the shit out of some wolves, we get paid."
While Sage looked to the ridiculous or the silly to try and keep her Sanity, Sanz was focusing on whatever logic he could find in this world. Any kind of order or sanity that he could keep ahold of was a support beam to keep his own sanity from crashing.

It didn't take much to sign up for the quest. The guildmarm accepted their quest with a smile, and asked that they tell her when they were done. Sanz spent the afternoon walking around town, noting where the important buildings in town were. This included the guild hall, the church, several shops, the blacksmith, and a couple of other places. Once he had his mental map of the town, it was finally time to get ready.

"Sage?"
Sanz knocked on the door of the room a couple of times
"It's getting close to dusk, and we'll need about an hour to head to the location. So if we want dinner it'll have to be now or never."

Sage nodded her head to Sanz as she agreed with this plan of action. She really didn't care what Sanz did, as long as he didn't piss off random people in a street fight. Sage later, after signing up with the quest, went to lay down. Sage felt so heavy with thoughts and worries, but they all seemed to melt away as she finally fell asleep. She felt like her nap was short lived as she sat up with a bit of a start when Sanz came in, "Hm? Oh.. yeah.. This hell."

Sage had felt like she had dreamed happy dreams. Dreams that made her actually smile. Dreamed where she wasn't stuck in this hell with someone who couldn't make a joke to save his life. Sage sighed and reached to the desk to pull up her armor and slide it over her head again. It kind of stank like leather. It wasn't pleasant and further pulled her away from her dreamy haze.

"Alright, let's get some food." Sage told Sanz.

• Sympathy & Compassion
Reactions: Ixidor92
This hell.
For some reason the phrase stuck with Sanz. He had never heard Sage say anything like that... granted he didn't know Sage that well at all, so it could have been perfectly in character. Sanz let out a sigh and held open the door for Sage before heading out. There was a good chance he'd change his mind when the evening was over, but right now Sanz was more worried about the mental toll this whole ordeal was taking on the two of them than he was the physical danger.

Sanz was only reminded when the two of them sat down that the menu changed on a daily basis... which meant that they would be eating the exact same thing out of budgetary necessity. Well at least it was food--better than going off hungry.
"Sage..."
Sanz wanted to talk--which was odd for him--but he wasn't sure what about. After about a minute of struggling with the topic, he finally just chose to focus on the immediate difficulties.
"I have to ask... have you ever been in a fight before?"

• Sympathy & Compassion
Reactions: Tiger Dragon
Sage didn't talk to Sanz as they walked down because she was still waking up. It wasn't that Sage wasn't a 'Morning Person' but rather that Sage felt like the novelty was being polished away from the situation. She was poorer than she ever been in her life right now, she was away from home and she was about to be thrust into a fight with dogs. When they sat down, Sage looked at the menu. Everything was the same as earlier when they had lunch, so beef stew and water were still the viable the cheapest option. "Two beef stew and water," Sage said, handing over the 1 silver a 3 copper.

When the barmaid left, Sage peered into the little coin purse. Even she had to face her fears to survive. Besides, they could maybe carry a wolf of two back to the Guildhall and sell that for a few more coins as well. Well... if they survived to come back here.

Sanz unexpectedly asked Sage a question, though she closed her eyes and squeezed them a moment to keep herself from glaring at Sanz. She was utterly moody at the moment. She knew Sanz was likely going to spout something that would piss her off with her coming answer, "No, I've never been in combat. But I'm going to try." She amended at the end of her sentence.

Time for smiley jokester Sage to come back out. She was falling too much in her own head. Sage slapped her cheeks with both her hands, the stinging feeling sent a rush of energy, though not a lot to fully get rid of the lingering feelings. Sage then grinned at Sanz, "I'm not going to be the weakest link here. And I'm not going to let you do all the work either."

Sanz allowed one corner of his mouth to turn up in a smile, even if it only lasted for a few seconds. One could have blinked and missed it.
"I had to ask. Honestly I would have been surprised if you said yes. Actua--"
The man had his sentence cut off when Sage slapped himself. Sanz had to blink a couple of times to process what had just happened. Sage's face was clearly marked with red imprints from the force he had subjected himself to.
"Um... "
The man was actually at a loss for words. The thought did hit him that while he was busy trying to work though this on his own, Sage was probably doing the exact same thing inside his own head
"Yeah... I don't think either of us will make it through this on our own."

Sage nodded her head and then looked at Sanz, "Look... you're my only ally here. So.. I think we should, hm what do you call it? Make a brotherhood pact?" Sage said with a soft chuckle, "Yeah that. So, there. We're like siblings now. Even though we might get on each other's nerves, we'll stick together through thick and thin. I'm braver then I look." Sage told Sanz. Though, their food came as the woman put it down their stew and waters.

Last edited:
Sanz didn't dig into his meal nearly as enthusiastically as he had this morning. Mostly because it was the same meal and the two of them were not currently starving. Pact seemed a little strong of a word to use of the current situation... but all the same, Sanz felt he could live with that arrangement.
"Well, we'll have to put that to the test in a couple of hours. According to the quest page it looks like we've got about an hour trek to get there."
It occurred to Sanz that in his wanderings that afternoon, despite acquainting himself with just about every location, he had not bothered to ask anyone about the wildlife. Neither of them still had any idea what a 'fur chick' was.

Sage sighed a bit and started to eat her stew. So much sighing from her. Really she needed to get a grip. What she needed was a cute girl or guy to take her troubles out on them. Or maybe someone to pick on that wasn't Sanz. Just SOMETHING. But, instead, they were going to go fight a bunch of wolves. Sage almost sighed again, but stopped herself as she finished her last bite of stew, "Well, I guess we'll see." She finally said after a very long silence from eating.

When they were done, they wrapped up whatever else they needed before they started their long walk to the farm they needed to protect. Sage was glad she was rested up enough that she shouldn't fall asleep at all.

The walk to the farm was mostly silent. Sanz had a noticeable change in his demeanor as they left the walls. His walk was quick, while his hands were kept close to his sides, swinging only slightly. The reason he wasn't talking was he instead chose to keep his senses open. As they left the town behind, and walked along the path, Sanz was keeping himself ready for some kind of ambush. This was unknown, largely uncivilized territory from what he could tell.

At the very least, Sage and Sanz's luck wasn't so abysmal that his caution was necessary. It did, however, turn out to be rewarding. At least it likely would be on the way back. Sanz couldn't help but notice various plants every now and then on the way to the farm, and was able to pick out leaves or fruits that may be useful for eating or sewing. It took him a minute before he realized it was probably his herbology skill taking effect. He would probably take advantage of that when they were returning from the battle, but not now.

The two of them finally arrived at their destination shortly before sunset. A spread of oranges and purples stretched across the sky, leaving the world beneath it slightly darker. The location was not particularly large, consisting of only one small house and barn. Working outside was a man who looked to be in his mid-thirties. At the approach of the two adventurers, the man gave a wave and a smile.
"You two must be them adventurin' folks! Welcome! call me Pete. You'll want to come around to the back."
Sanz followed the man around to behind the barn, where he could hear the sounds of many little feet hopping around.
"Yes... I'm Sanz, and this is Sage. Could you tell us a little more about what is going on?"
"Certainly! I've been raising fur-chicks for the last 15 years. Had to fight off a predator every now and then, just comes with the territory, but nothing me and my lovely lady couldn't handle. But 'bout a week ago we were attacked by a pack of wolves. Lost a couple a' chicks and my leg got mangled in the process. I thought that would be th'end of it, but they came and attacked the next evening. And then th'evening after that. So we need help from someone a little more versed in beat killin'--ah here we are."

"Well, if you get your fur-chicks to safety, I'm sure we--"
Sanz stopped dead in his tracks once they rounded the barn, his train of thought completely lost. In front of him were rabbits. Large ones, maybe the size of smaller dogs... and they inexplicably had chicken feet. They still bounded around the pen like rabbits, but they had chicken feet for seemingly no apparent reason.

They had to defend these things.
The world had officially gone mad.

• Haha
Sage was ok with the silence as they walked. She kept her eyes out as well, half expecting a giant bear to come rolling out of the woods. It was almost exhausting with how tense she felt. Just the thought of how exhausting fighting was going to bed. Sage already started to feel like she was aging with every thought. Though, when they got to their destination, Sage almost laughed when Pete introduced himself. The name was so... hick. It was almost too good to be true. She, however, manage to hold herself back.

He started to tell them his story as they walked around the barn so they could see his precious fu-chicks that he wanted to protect. Though she noticed Sanz had stopped talking as they rounded the barn. Sage turned her head to see what had him shocked and she herself felt her jaw drop slightly.

Sage clashed a hand to the side of her cheeks and chuckled softly, "Don't worry! The Lion's Pride is here to save your, er, rabbit chickens." Sage told him.

The farmer raised an eyebrow at Sanz and Sage. Which of Sage's comments had caused the reaction was up for debate.
"You two aint never seen a fur-chick before?"
Sanz shook his head in an effort to bring himself back to reality. If he had to pause every time something weird appeared in front of him, there was going to be a lot of wasted time in this world.
"No... they weren't really common where the two of us come from..."
Pete gave the two a look like Sanz had just sprouted a second head.
"Where th' hell you two from that you don' have fur-chicks?"

Sanz waved his hand in an attempt to dismiss the question. He didn't really have a good excuse thought up, and he wasn't about to reveal the two of them were from a different world.
"We've got more important things to worry about don't we?"
The man gave a bit of a frown, and Sanz wasn't sure he would let it move on.

Sage only smirked, "I mean, considering we never seen fur-chicks, it must mean we are from a whole nother world, right?" Sage reasoned, "But my partner here is right, we go this covered, so, just leave it to us." Sage assured Pete. "We'll come get you if we run into really bad trouble."
Sage curiously, went to pet one of the fur-chicks. She wanted to see if they were soft. Did they really lay eggs? That was so funny. This was funny. She hoped she continued to see funny things like this!

• Haha
"A 'nother world?"
Pete looked at the two individuals before shaking his head.
"If ya didn' want ta say, you should'a just said so. The wolves usually come 'round this time, so I'll need to get these guys into the barn. Let you two deal with the beasties."

The little fluff-ball Sage approached did not shrink from his approach. In fact, the creature hopped forward and sniffed at the man's hand curiously. These creatures did not show any fear of humans whatsoever. As expected, the pelt of this creature was soft and fluffy. It's fur was slightly longer than rabbit's, somewhat absorbing Sage's hand when he touched the creature.
"Soft little buggers aint they?"
Pete was sheparding the fur-chicks in the direction of the barn, using what looked like a pom-pom tied to a long pole to push them in that direction.

Sanz was keeping his eyes trained to the edge of the farmstead, waiting for the promised attack. It was as about two-thirds of the chicks were in the barn when the first howl came from across the grasslands. Sanz dropped his shoulder bag and clenched his fists. The adrenaline was already starting to kick in, amplified by fear of the unknown, and he took in a sharp breath to calm his senses.
"Sage. Get ready."

Sage sighed and stood up with her weapon, even as the rabbit chickens were scooted away from their view. Here it comes. That ugly battle between dogs and them. It was almost like one of those fantasy movies at the moment! Sage readied herself the most she really could. Which was just part her feet. Though... somehow, she realized she knew how to swing the sickle to do the most optimal damage instead of just blindly swinging the weapon around.

Sanz could see them now. It was fuzzy in the twilight, but five creatures slinked their way towards the farm. As they got closer, Sanz felt the hairs on the back of his neck stand up.

He thought he had seen wolves before. He had seen them in zoos or in state parks before, kept safely in enclosures. Sanz thought he knew what he had been getting himself into.

He thought wrong.

These creatures were leaner, had coarser fur, and kept their lips bared back in a snarl. The coming wolves were not well-fed captive creatures, content to let others watch them... these were hungry predators... And here Sanz was, sitting between them and their prey. His fight or flight response was in full-force now, and a large part of him was screaming to take the flight option. But he couldn't. Sanz smacked his right fist into the palm of his left hand, and let out a roar that sounded more like a primal creature than a human... before charging headlong at the pack.

The first wolf that jumped at him was simple. His body moved on instinct, whether from his time in his own world or the card he didn't much care at this point, and his right fist collided with the creature's jaw. But even as that beast was thrown away with a wine, the others were circling around him, ready to attack as a pack. He dodged one maw, then another, but the third latched onto his left forearm. Sanz hit the beast once, twice, three times in the snout before it let go. There were still three circling in good condition, and the other two were not down for good. Sanz clenched both of his fists and kept his senses open. He'd successfully gotten the attention of the pack... the question was who would kill whom? It was a disturbing thought as his blood started to leak onto the ground.

• Nice Execution!
Sage watched Sanz just let out a loud scream like he was possessed. He almost freaked Sage out more than the pack of wolves descending on them. Sage was a little unsure what to do, the dogs growled and bared their teeth. It sure brought back some real shitty memories. Sage saw Sanz punch one of the wolves and felt like they could win, though the wolf didn't really seem that phased by it as several of them went to go attack Sanz after. When one finally bit him, Sage felt herself take a wary step back.

Sage stopped herself. No. No she had to stay and fight. She had to get home. She had to prove to Sanz she was reliable. This was the plan. Sanz took the brunt and Sage picked them off from the sidelines. Quickly, as with hesitation still, Sage did an underhand lunge at one of the wolves, trying to catch it on the neck with her hooked blade. The dog yelped in pain as she cut the wolf across the next.

• Love
Sanz heard the yelp from behind him, along with a splatter of blood that hit the ground. Sage had acted out behind him, taking full advantage of the wolves' diverted attention. Before they could turn to Sage, the man was on the attack again. He leaped at the nearest beast, though it stepped back from his attack. The other four circling creatures forced Sanz to remain primarily on the defensive. He dodged on wolf, then threw another as it leapt at him. He barely had enough time to turn around before a third jumped on top of him and forced him to the ground.

Sanz's fist met with the creature's head, forcing it off of him, but before he could get up another jumped onto his chest. Both of the man's hands were on the creature's maw, trying to hold it back as it snapped repeatedly for his throat. Sanz was certain he could hear Sage shouting something in the background, but all he could focus on the was the snarling creature in front of him--and his own heartbeat thundering in his ears. He saw another one coming in his peripheral vision, the others were possibly going after Sage. He had to get this thing off of him... or he was dead.
He wouldn't be able to get back home, or see anyone he cared about again.

That thought fueled his desperation. And his desperation felt like a fire within him.
Actually, he did feel really warm inside, like there was a fire traveling along his arm, something that needed to be released. From an onlookers perspective, they would have seen sparks of red electricity flying from Sanz's eyes and his right arm. In a moment of pure adrenaline, Sanz threw his right fist at the creature on top of him with a shout.
"HAYMAKER!"

The resulting sound was less like flesh smacking against animal hide and more like a cannon going off. A light shock wave blew over everyone nearby from the force of the impact, blowing against grass, fur, and clothing. The unfortunate beast on the receiving end flew a good 10 feet in the air before crashing back down a few yards away. And did not get back up. Sanz quickly forced himself to his feet, though his arms and legs were shaking. The other wolf had backed off, a primal fear clearly visible in its eyes after what had just happened. Sanz felt drained. That one punch had taken as much out of him as an extended brawl. But it was effective. How many more times could he do it? Once more? Twice? Three times?
"Sage!"
Sanz shouted behind him
"I'm going to do that one more time, you'll need to finish off the other two!"

Last edited:
  • Love