Playing with Fire

"My father wasn't the greatest role model on parenting either, actually. Seems like we all have something to complain about." Carina busied herself with making sure the blanket was still wrapped entirely around Lorcan's body, not wanting him to be at all vulnerable to the cold she had caused. If he became ill because of it on top of all that was going on, she wasn't sure she would be able to forgive herself.

A small smile came across her lips as her eyes fluttered to look away from Lorcan's face to the floor between her and Natalia, head turning slightly, "I know Sven's going to be a great father... regardless of what happens at the end of this week." She agreed, leaning back into the cushion of the chaise, "It's all he's ever wanted, after all. Even when I... when we weren't happy with one another, I never once doubted what kind of father he would be. Not that I told him that until things started changing."

Her gaze returned to the babe in her arms, eyes starting to well again. Even the best case scenario at the end of the week wasn't entirely warm. Lorcan would have both his parents... but how would they come to care for him? Sven would never trust her again, and Carina wasn't a fool to believe that things would go back to how they were before the attack. Would they simply co-parent and avoid each other? Two separate rooms with Lorcan's in the middle? A rota for who would look after him and when? A civil partnership, rather than one of love and affection that they had before she ruined it all.

The worst... well, there would be no mother in Lorcan's life. Carina knew that Natalia may step into that role, or maybe Sven would move on and marry someone else. However, Lorcan wouldn't know of the love she had for him. He wouldn't remember any of this, being too young to understand what was happening and the memories would be long gone by the time he could make sense of it all. He would grow up hearing of his mother was executed for being a traitor.

Quickly, Carina freed a hand to wipe just under her eyes and then her nose with the back of her wrist.

"If... Lauren isn't found by the end of the week... they will continue long after, won't they? She... she'll need to be brought to justice too, so he'll... keep searching for her even after his decision for me has been carried out? He could still find out the truth even after... because I-- I'd want him to know the truth regardless of what happens. I need him to know that I would never-- that I was happy with him, that I did love him--"

She forced herself to cut off and focus back on Lorcan, allowing the reminder of the baby in her arms to tether her back to controlled emotions, "And for this one too. I don't want him growing up thinking the worst of me." She exhaled deeply, looking back to Natalia once she was certain she was composed.

"I'm sorry to keep going on, and I-- I appreciate you talking and acting as if I'll still be around after this week is up. But I have to... expect the worst. I can't get hopeful just to have it all torn away from me again."

"The search for Lauren isn't just going to stop once the week concludes, far from it. She's guilty, there are no doubts about that. So she'll be found eventually, however long it takes. We just have to hope that she's found by the end of the week," she responded with a quiet nod, knowing the repercussions of being unable to find Lauren by that date went without saying. She understand the need for the other to face the facts of her situation and come to terms with the possible death sentence that would face her at the end of the week - getting her hopes up and denying the reality around her would just end in disaster, after all.

But she couldn't face openly remarking upon all the grave consequences that could meet Carina if things didn't go the way they hoped. In an ideal world, Lauren would be found and her testimony would absolve Carina of the presumed guilt she had placed upon her. The Queen would be able to return to a life of somewhat normalcy with her reputation spared (nobody had to know about her previous plot against the King if Lauren didn't divulge that information, after all). She might not have the relationship with Sven, but she had the chance to be a hands-on mother to her son; to be there whenever he needed her.

Though that was the positive outcome - not a certainty. The opposite outcome had to be considered to, and Natalia was willing to openly admit to that being just as likely as the preferred result, but focusing so much on the worst outcome when she was convinced of Carina's innocence didn't do anything other than unsettle her. She wasn't denying the reality of the other's situation; she just couldn't focus so intensely on the worst possible scenario when things were already bleak enough for Carina as it was.

Piling on more misery just seemed... unfairly and unnecessarily cruel.

"You are aware that when this is all over that I will vehemently deny being nice to you, don't you? I can't have anyone knowing I like you, if only a smidgeon; I've curated a tough reputation that might be damaged if people realise I actually have a heart," she murmured instead, the corners of her lips tilting up into a playful smile. If she was honest, she wasn't sure how she and Carina would interact once this ordeal was over and done with; whether their sudden realisation that neither of them were as bad as they had assumed would continue into their ordinary daily lives... but despite her playful comment, she hoped it would.

She didn't need to have the tight friendship Carina had shared with the maid, but they could at least be civil and find some support in one another. Natalia hadn't had many female friends in her life, having occupied her time with Sven and Thorin, but she wasn't against making an exception if things with Carina went from strength to strength.

"...I'm joking, of course-- I'm quite capable of a little humour too. Amazing, I know," she sarcastically quipped as she leaned across just a little to get a look at Lorcan, smiling immediately at the sight of his bright blue eyes staring curiously up at them. "I'm not promising to be the sort of friend to you Lauren clearly was, I imagine that bond is hard to replicate, but I wouldn't be... averse to trying to mend the bridges between us. I know I've hurt you and... well, actions speak louder than words, don't they?"

Carina breathed out slowly, controlling the exhale as she focused onto what she had been taught when she was younger when learning her powers. Control the little things, everything else will slot in behind them. "Five days..." She acknowledged aloud, looking passed Natalia and to the the window on the furthest wall behind the adviser. A part of her wondered if she ought to make her own escape; it would be stupid of her to not fear the death that lingered at the end of the week, waiting to greet either her or Lauren with open arms. Sven had warned her not to bother trying, but really, who would stop her? Only he had a chance at doing so (not that she would kill anyone to get away).

However, Sven and Lorcan were the only reasons she remained. If she escaped, she would be running for the rest of her life and she didn't want any possibility of her innocence being tainted by some fleeting fear. The two she loved most in the world would be in the castle, and even if the one no longer wanted to see her, at least she knew she could be close to them before she died.

Her breath became slightly shaky but Carina continued to control herself, eyes returning to Lorcan as she anchored herself back to reality. Her mind, her thoughts, were a dangerous place at the moment. That clear from the anguish and pain that had been openly on show all of yesterday, and the ice that remained to gleam and shimmer on the walls and ceiling. It had retreated somewhat, but patches lingered.

"And I will deny that I ever cried in front of you. You're not the only one that has a reputation to uphold, Natalia." Carina drawled with a faked nonchalance but as she looked up, her own weak but teasing smile pulled at the corners of her mouth. "Your secret is safe with me so long as mine is safe with you."

It truly felt odd, having this dynamic with the other woman. Never had Carina expected their relationship to go through rigours. And never would she have believed that she would have been relying on Natalia to be in her corner when she was facing a death sentence.

Quietly, she moved slightly so Natalia had a better view of Lorcan. She almost asked if the woman wanted to hold him, but hesitated, since she knew this was some of the short time she would have with him now and didn't want to relinquish any of it... selfishly. However, she was distracted from over contemplating matters when the woman went on to mention friendship and mending bridges.

"Well... you've done a lot less to me than Sven did, and I gave him... I'm not about to get soppy about that. What I'm trying to say is... I'd... I'd appreciate that. If... everything goes in the right way. Besides, Lauren ended up standing over me with a knife in front of my new born child, it's not as if she's up on a pedestal." She smiled faintly again, keeping her tone light, "Mending bridges... that's all I could ask for, after everything."

"Then we'll attempt to mend those bridges. I can't promise it'll be easy but even if I get snappy or cranky, just know that I do want this. I don't want to spend the rest of my days harbouring a grudge against you for-- well, things that aren't relevant anymore. I have no reason to actively dislike you so wasting my energy holding onto that when I could be working on building a new connection with you is childish, isn't it? I... I'd like to give this a try is what I'm trying to say. I could do with a, ah... another friend around the place," she determined with a hopeful smile. She knew the importance of not letting Carina let hope get the best of her so wanted desperately to follow her own advice to spare disappointment later on... but she couldn't fight off the hopeful feeling; not when it was often in short supply in Natalia's life.

She knew it wouldn't be plain sailing and their potential friendship might not even stand a chance of blooming if the week ended with Carina sent to the gallows to receive her punishment (however unjust it would be without actual evidence) but she wanted to give it a try. Sven's distrust of his wife meant he wasn't too vocal about his desire for Natalia to get along with her anymore, but the adviser had decided by herself to try and form some connection. She didn't need the King's pressure and it was only when he had backed off that Natalia found herself genuinely interested in mending a bridge that hadn't ever really been constructed in the first place.

She had never given Carina a chance - but she could, and would, change that.

"You should really eat your breakfast before it gets any colder," she recommended with a nod to the currently abandoned tray nearby, easing back on the chaise in an effort to get more comfortable. She wasn't completely at ease around Carina, she didn't expect their decision to work on a potential friendship to take off all at once and proceed without problems, but she was a great deal more comfortable around her than she had been when she first entered the bedroom.

She didn't think the woman would lose control and inadvertently hurt or kill her anymore, which helped a great deal in trying to relax in her presence.

"And take a bath, warm yourself up-- I mean, I'm not sure how the, ah... how your power affects you, whether you feel the cold as much as I would, for example, but still. You need to care for yourself, even if this week ends... in the worst way. So eat something, have a bath and get yourself dressed-- I can bring you some books to keep you entertained if you'd like? I'm sure Sven wouldn't object - I'll convince him if he does."

"I could too... it's not as if I'm anyone's favourite, at the moment." Carina joked weakly, but even she knew that it fell flat. "This whole castle is just... full of second chances, aren't they? Take me right back to the start, when I first arrived here... I never would have thought I'd be were I am now, having experienced what I have and... having this conversation." She sniffed softly, falling silent as she was uncertain just what else to add.

It felt as though the universe was only granting her one friend at a time, as if she was forbidden to have more than that. Emmett died and Lauren took his place as her confidant and support. Then she fell out with Lauren and her relationship with Sven blossomed, and he became her greatest friend. He became her everything, really. It hurt every fibre of her being to know she had lost that, and that there was seemingly no returning to what they had. Now here was Natalia, offering to help her through the next five days, at least.

Her head turned away and tilted up, attempting to blink back the tears with a light scratch to the back of her head in a casual manner. Her tongue moved to wet her dried lips which then pressed together in her attempts to fight back the emotion, returning to the lessons she learned in Eira.

However, by the time she had composed herself enough to say anything more to Natalia, the other woman was already speaking again. She hesitated at the mention of food, eyes moving to where the tray sat on the foot of the frozen bed. It didn't tempt her, not in the slightest. Her stomach didn't grumble at the sight of it, nor did her mouth water. If anything, it felt as though her tongue had swollen, and made her feel as though she would be incapable of eating anything. Her appetite still waned, her body and mind still punishing her as a result of what happened to Sven.

Carina's eyes and head dropped back to look down at Lorcan, like a naughty child who refused to see what was being pointed out to them. She knew she had to eat, if only to provide Lorcan what he would need later down the line. A full day without food would undoubtedly have some influence later on, but the mere thought of eating made her feel sick.

"The cold doesn't effect me... though this time I wish it did. I would rather be numb to all this." She answered, a hand moving as Lorcan stirred, head pushing against the side of the blanket he was swaddled in. She smiled softly, thumb brushing against his cheek, "This one is entertainment enough. Let's not... push my luck with Sven. I'm grateful enough he changed his mind about Lorcan. I'd rather only be able to see my son instead of having everything rescinded because he thought I was asking for too much."

Sven's words yesterday had done nothing but confused her. One moment he was despising her, telling her she was lucky to be in the room and not the dungeon, that she didn't deserve to see Lorcan. Then the next he was saying he didn't want things to be the way they were, that he wanted to take her back to their room and just hold her. Then he allowed Natalia to bring Lorcan for his feed.

"How often and how long do I get to see him?" Carina asked, realising that there had to be a limit, "Once a day? Twice for an hour to feed him? I can't have him all day every day, that much is obvious, otherwise Sven wouldn't see him. Because I'd rather hold him for as long as I can. Food and bathing can wait until you have to... until you have to return him to the nursery."

Natalia couldn't fathom being forced to stay in the room with nothing to take her mind off her circumstances, so the other's refusal of the offer for some books to keep her entertained initially made no sense... until she considered how likely Sven was to grow irked by the request. He was in a state of confusion, unable to discern just how he felt when all his emotions and thoughts constantly conflicted and contrasted one another, so giving him any reason to come down on the side of detesting Carina (when he fortunately wasn't at that point just yet) wasn't ideal.

Carina was right to want to avoid him taking everything away from her when his rulings were currently as unpredictable as he was - even if the thought of leaving the other with nothing to distract herself with made Natalia uneasy. Ultimately, however, she was right and the adviser had to admit that.

"Lorcan will be brought to you whenever he needs a feed, I... can't risk sneaking him in here outside of those times. Sven changed his mind, which is a good sign, but as you said, it's best not to push for more when he can abruptly take it away if he decides not to, ah... believe in the possibility of your innocence. Right now, he's aware he has doubts and isn't being as harsh on you as he could be. Let's not... jeopardise that. I really ought to be taking Lorcan now he's been fed, before Sven starts to wonder what's taking so long," she admitted with a regretful smile, taking herself up from the chaise apologetically. It wasn't nice to have to take Lorcan from his mother and leave Carina to her own devices, locked away in her old bedroom which would only reiterate how low she had fallen in the King's eyes... but there was no other option.

If Natalia didn't take the baby, Sven would realise she was stalling and not only would he restrict the visitations between mother and son, but he would undoubtedly lose some trust in Natalia. Her opinions on the matter of Carina weren't silent - she had been vocal in her doubts of her guilt, but she couldn't disobey Sven's ruling either. If he ruled that Carina was to only see her son when he needed his feed, there was no opposing that, and she didn't want to run the risk of angering him; not when he needed peace and quiet to recover.

"I'll bring him along later on, I promise. But I really ought to take him back to his crib now, Carina. I take no pleasure in it but Sven... he'll want him at his side," she reiterated as she carefully held out her arms to retrieve the baby, adjusting the blanket around him carefully with one hand as the other remained around him, the crook of her arm supportively cradling his head.

"...Take that bath and eat as much as you can. I don't want to repeat myself but it's important you do that. I'll... be on my way, but I'll see you later on. Just hang on in there until then."

Even though Carina understood what Natalia was saying, it didn't make it any easier to let her son go. She would live in constant anxiety that that one visit may be the last, that maybe one day Sven would reconsider his generosity and revoke any visiting privileges. It was why she erred on the side of caution, preferring to go stir crazy during the hours without Lorcan and see him twice daily or his feeds, rather than have nothing at all. She recognised that Sven's emotions were in disarray, and didn't want to do anything that would make him see her as guilty for a crime she didn't commit. She would walk on eggshells for the rest of her living life if it meant that she could hold Lorcan for the next five days.

That didn't mean tears didn't sting her eyes as Natalia stood, signalling the end of her time with Lorcan. As previously thought, she would worry that she would not see him later on in the day, that Sven's mind would change before then. However, she knew not to push her luck. She had to do everything she could to simply comply while she remained a prisoner within the four walls of her bedroom.

Breathing out heavily, she lowered her head to press her lips to Lorcan's forehead. She lingered there, eyes squeezing shut to keep back the tears that would have otherwise dripped onto her cheeks when she bowed her head. She swallowed hard against the lump in her throat as she straightened again and stood. "Your mother loves you, Lorcan, don't forget that, not ever." She whispered to the slumbering baby, adding a final brush of fingers over the tuft of hair at the top of his head. Then, reluctantly and painfully, she handed him back across to Natalia.

"Don't worry about me. I'll be fine." Carina answered, despite knowing there was no chance the words would be believed. She kept her eyes on Lorcan, arms crossing over her body at the stomach to grasp onto either elbow, "I'm not the one with stab wounds, nor am I a new born child. They need more care than I do." She forced herself to sit back down, knowing otherwise she would reach out for Lorcan or follow the woman to the door. She couldn't allow that to happen, it was all too painful as it was already.

Besides, she couldn't bare the fussing. Though she knew Natalia probably wouldn't call it that... nor would she label it concern, perhaps. Either way, Carina couldn't stand it. Not because she didn't appreciate it or because she found it annoying. It was simply because she didn't see why she deserved it, nor did she really feel like there was much point. If she were to die at the end of the week, what difference did it make if she ate or didn't? If she bathed or not? If she was in a proper cell, she would have abysmal food and no real facilities to clean herself. She would still end up hanging by a rope or as a crisped shell of who she once was. To Carina, the only effort she could muster now was for Lorcan's sake. To hold him, to feed him, to cherish him and to love him.

But she kept these thoughts to herself, not wanting Natalia to leave with even more concern than what she came in with. Such dark thoughts she would keep to herself, and battle alone. It was all that she deserved.

"I'll... try. I won't promise anything but I'll try. You-- you just keep him safe, okay? And... and keep looking after Sven. If you think it won't... set him off or anything, tell him thank you, from me, for... for letting me see Lorcan."

"...I'll tell him. And Lorcan will be along later on, Carina. Time will fly and he'll be right back in your arms where he belongs in no time, I promise. We'll see you soon." Natalia concluded as she took a final glance back at the woman with a firm nod in reassurance before, reluctantly, taking her leave. It brought her no enjoyment to part with Lorcan, the sight of his contented, peaceful expression unable to bring her any joy when she could only contrast it with the broken features left on Carina's face, having no doubt that they had only intensified once the door was shut and she was, once more, left alone.

Only now, she was left to mourn the absence of the son she had held for a short amount of time; a son she ought to be able to reach for and comfort at any point of the day but couldn't as a result of her own actions. Granted, Natalia didn't think those actions deserved a punishment this extreme, especially not when she was being held responsible for crimes she believed she hadn't committed, but she had no chance of swaying Sven's mind - and she wouldn't even attempt to. Not when he could switch and determine confidently that Carina was at fault, killing her without waiting for Lauren's testimony.

With his moods unpredictable, it was best to leave him as he was without risking him taking away Carina's access to her son when that was possibly the only thing that would get her through the week ahead.

As promised, Natalia came by later that day with Lorcan - and proceeded to continue the action over the coming days. Whenever the baby grew grizzly for a feed, the adviser would arrive at Carina's door, those being the only visits the Queen had, other than maids that brought along food and a change of clothes. The days went by without the kingdom being aware of her predicament. They knew of Thorin's demise and Lauren's fugitive status, but any inkling of their own Queen possibly being involved in the dastardly plot to rid the kingdom of its King didn't exist; word of her possible guilt, as demanded by Sven, had not left the castle.

That alone indicated his belief that she might not be guilty - if he did believe it entirely, he would have no qualms in letting his people know the true nature of their Queen. However, he had enough doubts that he ordered her situation to remain private. There was no need in dragging her name through the mud and destroying the good feeling she had built up in Ignis amongst the people if she was innocent of the worst of the crimes put against her.

Yet, she only had a week before she would be put to death and her reputation irreparably damaged, and as each day passed without word of Lauren, hope of finding her (and sparing Carina) lessened. Natalia didn't once vocalise losing hope, remaining as positive as she could, but as the end of the week grew ever closer, the situation was looking bleak. Sven evidently thought so himself because he hadn't once turned up at Carina's room to speak with her. He didn't feel like doing so when he felt as betrayed by her as he did, and he was still recovering from his ordeal, but the lack of motivation to visit her came from the acknowledgement that he couldn't face her when the threat of her death lingered over them. Time for her was running out, and he couldn't bear to face her, knowing that she was bound to be fearing the end of her life.

Natalia had witnessed Sven, over those days, cry in bed and appear at the very lowest he had been. She had seen how he often broke whenever he held his son, seeing Carina in his tender features that inevitably tugged at the King's heart and reduced him to tears when he considered not only the betrayal, but her current state, locked away in a room like a criminal. She was guilty of harbouring information that could have prevented an attack on the King, a crime that was punishable, but it still hurt to have to treat her like a criminal when she was still his wife.

Still the Queen.

Still the mother of his child.

...Still the person he loved despite everything she had done.

Finally, the end of the week had arrived, preparations by the King's order made in the castle's courtyard for the private execution of the Queen. Natalia, taking advantage of the distraction, had opted to slip into Carina's bedroom that morning before anyone came to collect her. Lorcan hadn't needed a feed but she had opted to risk bringing him along anyway, deciding that she could always claim he was hungry if anyone called her out on it.

There was no way she could allow Carina to go to her death without saying goodbye to her son.

"...I... don't know what to say," she whispered after several minutes had passed, her hands on her knees and head tilted to the window to observe the kingdom beyond it; people going about their daily duties unaware of the Queen's demise in little less than an hour. She breathed out slowly as she tried to calm her raging mind, only peering back across to Carina when she felt she could look at her without growing emotional on her behalf. "I am so sorry, Carina. I... can't... believe it has come to this, I should have tried harder. Fought harder. Convinced him to hear me out. I... I'm afraid I've failed you, I-I'm... so, s-so sorry."

As the days ticked on and the week dauntingly grew to a close, the harder it was for Carina to remain calm. When she entered Ignis and dealt with Sven's late father, when Sven's manipulation was revealed and he killed Emmett before her eyes, even when he came to her room in all his fury because he thought she had been lying about being pregnant... never had Carina felt fear like she had in those last remaining days.

At first, she exuded calm, of course riddled with anxiety for what could come and worry for Sven's injuries, but she refused to let her true fear be known. She focused on Lorcan, using those visits to get her through each day where she was otherwise tormented by her thoughts and imaginings. The time without Lorcan... that was most difficult. Her mind would conjure up memories of Sven covered in his own blood, whisper spiteful things to her, and began to ponder what it would be like to have a noose around her throat.

When the deadline grew closer, she found herself unable to breathe at times. Her chest would tighten and her breaths would come in short, sharp gasps. Her heartbeat would race frantically, her body tremble and the room would sway, leaving her too weak to do anything but grip feebly onto any nearby furniture or push her hand against a nearby wall for support, in an attempt to ground herself. At night, she would wake up choking with her hands scrambling at her neck to try and remove a noose that was no longer there. Nausea lingered, growing with each day she grew closer to death, making it harder and harder for her to eat the food that was brought to her.

She would eat less than half the meal, unable to stomach much more but doing what she could for Lorcan's sake. She bathed every day or so, if only to keep Natalia off her back. She knew her new... friend... was only doing so to keep her going, but as time ticked by and her panic attacks worsened, Carina lacked the energy to do most things.

The control over her ice waned, rising and falling like the tide. It was better controlled with Lorcan present, since her child gave her something to focus on. However, one corner held the main expulsion of ice that came with her anxiety attacks, the ice thick and impenetrable. However, she attempted to cover it with the bedside table, pushing and pulling the piece of furniture across until it hid the worst of the ice.

Carina didn't dare ponder Sven's lack of visits, sadly understanding why he no longer came to see her. If she was going to be the reason why his recovery was effected, she preferred for him to stay away. Besides, what would she say to him if he did come to her? There was nothing more to say except repeatedly telling him she wasn't a part of the crime against him and that she never manipulated him, that she loved him more than anything else in her life (except for Lorcan).

On the final day, during the last hour that she had, Carina's entire body trembled and there was no way she could stop it. Even with Lorcan closely cradled in her arms, the young mother couldn't stop the tremors that engulfed her being. Her ice, controlled only out of a desire to not hurt the two in the room with her, pulsed anxiously within her veins. Her breath came out as a white, faint cloud, testament to the power she was holding back inside herself.

"You did everything you could." Carina answered quietly, sitting herself down at the chaise and gently lowering Lorcan onto her lap. She was grateful that she didn't have a window overlooking the courtyard, to see what they were setting up for her. "You... you couldn't have pushed him more than you already did, otherwise you would have been... you know he would have revoked your second chance. There's no point both of us suffering for something I have done."

Her gaze remained on Lorcan, whom she had moments ago provided with what seemed to be his final feed, and now stared up at her, seeming to fight his fluttering eyelids. As if he knew it would be the last time he would see her too. The thought immediately brought tears to her eyes and she pressed her lips together, choking back the sobs.

"This-- This is not your fault. This is... this is all mine. If I had just... If I had just told him, about Thorin and Lauren... none of this would be happening. We'd... we'd all be together... we'd be happy. He would know, without... without a doubt that I loved him more than... more than anything. And... and h-he'd... he'd still love me."

"I don't... think his love for you has waned, I just think he doesn't know what else to do, Carina. He doesn't want to live a life whereby he's always doubting whether you set out to harm him; it's why he needed Lauren to consolidate your story. Without it, he said he'd always doubt you and... I don't know, I think he's making a huge mistake but I can't... do anything about it, I'm useless and regardless what you say, I know I've failed. I'm sitting back while an innocent person is sent to hang, Carina. That's a failure on my part," she whispered carefully in return, taking her time with her words even though her voice was thick and throat tight, as though she would break and start stammering tearfully over the sentences at any moment.

She had shed a few tears over the situation; something she never thought she would ever do over Carina. Months ago, she would have celebrated wildly with champagne at the news of her execution; she would have taken it as an opportunity to worm herself into Sven's life and embark on the romance she had always desired. Yet, such desires no longer remained present for her. She cared for him a great deal but she had worked past the feelings she held, knowing that he would never quite feel the same way for her.

And she had always worked past the fierce hatred she had once held for Carina. A few days wasn't enough to build a lifelong friendship, she wasn't saying that... but those days had been enough for her to see a side to the Queen she liked; a side she would happily befriend if they had more time to allow that budding friendship to bloom. Time, however, was against them, which was partly why her tears had fallen - it was a premature loss of someone who could have formed a big part in Natalia's life.

Mostly, she was just distraught for Carina and for her son, who would grow up not knowing personally how much his mother had loved him. He wouldn't have the memories of how she had cradled him and soothed him - and when her death wasn't justifiable, it made that loss all the more painful to accept.

"...He won't forget you, you know. Lorcan, I mean. I'll-- I'll be on hand to remind him how much you loved him, a-and cared for him. How much y-you fought to... to be with him and protect him. He won't grow up thinking you were a monster, I'll make sure of that. It's-- the least I could do, I... I know I've not helped you much but I can do that for you, I won't let you down," she continued gently, aware that referencing a future without Carina in it would only compound the tearful emotions, but she couldn't let her go to her grave believing wholeheartedly that her son would think her a treacherous monster when Natalia would do her utmost to ensure the opposite; that Lorcan grew up knowing just what sort of loving, caring mother Carina had been to him.

Her mouth opened once more to offer some final reassurances to the Queen, to tell her to be brave and to go to the gallows maintaining that dignity, though she didn't get a chance to; not when the door to the bedroom swung open with a bang. Her eyes raised to see a nervous young butler fiddling to rearrange the cap that had fallen from his head, who visibly gulped in the presence of the Queen (despite her predicament, she apparently was still deserving of some respect) and bowed his head before proceeding.

"I-- I've been told to collect you, to bring you to the--- the grand hall--"

"Not the courtyard? Does the King want a word with her?"

"No, he-- they found that girl. The maid. They're bringing her in for questioning, his Majesty said you gotta be there to hear her, ma'am. I-- I've gotta take you down there--"

"...Go. I'll put Lorcan back in his crib. You need to go, now," interjected Natalia swiftly once she gathered the sense of urgency from the butler, standing up from the chaise lounge and reaching to retrieve Lorcan with a gentle shush to keep him from grizzling. Her eyes locked onto Carina's, unable to smile in fear of getting her hopes up - but if Lauren had been found, it at least postponed the execution (and hopefully prevented it altogether). "I'll be along shortly. You get going - and remember. Dignity. Don't let them see you've suffered."

Exhaustion was only natural, considering she had only given birth a week ago and was having to experience the afterbirth symptoms that came with it on top of the emotional ringer she she was being put through with losing Sven and facing death, the lack of sleep her new nightmares provided didn't help matters. But she couldn't sit there when Natalia beat herself up over something Carina knew the other woman would have had no influence on.

She never expected to be reassuring Natalia of anything, ever. After their first encounter and then all the negative interactions they had after that, Carina thought she would never lose her hatred for the other woman. She barely gave her another thought after her deception had been revealed, unable to understand how someone who loved another as much as she claimed to, could do what they had done. However, now that the roles had been reversed and Natalia had actually supported her, albeit for something she had no part in, Carina had to add the turbulence of guilt to her never ending list of emotion.

Taking Lorcan into her arms, she pushed herself (albeit tiredly) from the chaise and took a few steps across to where the adviser stood near the window. "Natalia... stop. This... is not your failure. You can only do so much, and Sven is the one with all the control here. This is not your fault. It is mine, and mine alone to bear, understand?" She reached out with a free, trembling hand to grasp the woman's hand, holding it as firmly as she could, "You have done... so much for me in this last week, more than you'll give yourself credit for. You brought me Lorcan... stole more time than I was allowed for me to see my son before... you believed me, when no one else would. That is more than enough. Please know that."

Her hand then drew away from Natalia's, slipping back under Lorcan's body. She swallowed thickly, staring down at her son as the adviser spoke. "Thank you... thank you." She stuttered out, now finding it difficult to speak with the lump in her throat. She sucked in a shaking breath, a thumb brushing against Lorcan's cheek, which in turn caused the babe to turn his head towards it, mouth opening wide as if expecting food. Carina laughed weakly, smiling brokenly down at him, "M-Make sure they find him a-a nice wet nurse, okay? O-one that's patient with him. The nanny's nice, but when they get... when they get..." She couldn't finish the sentence, another deep breath being sucked in through her nose.

When they got someone to replace her.

However, she didn't have to force the words out, with the door banging open. Immediately Carina shied away, clasping Lorcan tightly to her chest and partially turning her body towards Natalia behind her to protect him first. "Oh God." She whispered, thinking the worst before she saw the nervous, young butler.

At the announcement, Carina's body intensified in it's trembles, the shaking now visible even in her head. Lorcan began to stir due to the noise created from the door, a few weak cries breaking through the grizzling, and she focused onto him. She bounced him softly, shushing gently, putting him first.

Lauren had been found. That would mean the end of her life, then, for certain. But she didn't want to hear what the maid had to say. She didn't want to be present when they questioned her former friend. Why did she have to be there, to wait as Sven deliberated over her life once Lauren's use was fulfilled?

What if Lauren lied? What if the maid still wished to see her downfall and wanted her to see how right she had been about Sven, so lied to get Sven to give the execution order for both of them?

"I--I can't, Natalia-- No, I can't." She turned to the woman, red-rimmed eyes wide with fear and panic. However, she allowed the adviser to take Lorcan, revealing the strength of the tremors in her hands now she had nothing to hold onto. "I can't-- I can't face them. I can't face him. I-- I have no dignity left. N-no respect, no-nothing. Look at me-- I'm a mess." The familiar tightening came within her chest, causing her to turn and press a hand against the wall, squeezing her eyes closed as she focused on her breathing.

It made her feel even worse to think that she was holding up proceedings purely because she was fighting off her panic. So she turned back, leaning forward to press her lips to Lorcan's forehead, there she paused, a hand holding onto Natalia's upper arm as she took a moment.

Eventually, she straightened, breathing a regular pace but still hard through her nose. With a final stroke of finger knuckle to Lorcan's cheek, and a glance Natalia's way, Carina released the adviser's arm after one last squeeze of a silent thank you before heading towards and out of the door with the butler.

Even though he had every intention on going through with the execution, doing so wasn't an easy matter for Sven who had spent much of that morning pacing in his bedroom (until the pain in his abdomen kicked in and he had to sit himself back in bed, at least). He wanted to spare Carina of her early death but the consequences he felt of doing so were too immense to ignore. He wouldn't be able to lead a life where he was constantly fearful that Carina would attempt to hurt or kill him - so without Lauren, and without Carina having any evidence to show her innocence in the attack, there wasn't another option other than to send her (reluctantly) to the gallows.

There was a chance Lauren could simply confess to planning every inch of the plan with the Queen and thus send them both to their deaths, but Sven couldn't think so negatively when he wanted nothing more than for the maid to be found and to absolve Carina of the crime she was somewhat believed to have had a hand in planning. He might not know what punishment he would bestow upon her for her deceitful lies... but it wouldn't be as extreme as ridding her prematurely of her life, that much he knew.

And he wanted that conundrum because, simply, he wanted her to be alive. He didn't yet know what he felt regarding her, whether he was more angry or hurt by her lies, but he did know that losing her would break him, and if Lauren could provide even the slightest hope, finding her had inevitably become the King's top priority.

Yet, the days had passed and hope was gradually coming to a close, until the day arrived and all hope was lost completely. With heavy reluctance (and grief), he sent his orders for the platform to be set up in the courtyard, watching on from the window of his bedroom as the noose that would hang around his wife's neck was attached to the contraption. The sight alone made his chest tighten and complexion pale, the overwhelming emotions threatening to break the bough he had set up to spare himself a breakdown... but he knew it was inevitable.

How could he remain calm and composed after the execution had concluded? He knew without a doubt that he would suffer the consequences for years to come, be haunted by visions of his wife struggling to cling onto life as the noose tightened around her neck, feel tears painfully sting his eyes everytime he peered at his son and saw Carina's features in his own. Every moment after her execution would be torturous, threatening to break him so sufficiently that disassociating entirely from the reality playing out that morning had come terrifyingly close to occurring.

...And then an unanticipated glimmer of hope emerged, just when it had been abandoned completely. Just when Sven had accepted the harsh reality that couldn't go unignored a minute longer.

Lauren had been found.

The moment the news broke to him, the King had abandoned his chambers and headed immediately for the grand hall where he demanded Lauren be brought to - albeit not before ordering another servant to fetch Carina. He didn't think about how traumatic it might be for her to witness Lauren potentially seal her fate to the gallows; not when he was hoping for the opposite and desired Carina to be there as the realisation that her life was spared broke. If nothing else, he also wanted to watch how she reacted to whatever the former maid said, knowing he could use the reaction in his final assessment.

He had settled on the throne (a grand chair he unashamedly adored, even in all its unnecessary splendour) for a mere minute before the doors to the hall were opened for Carina's entrance. He tried not to focus too much on the sight of his wife, however eager he was to examine her to ensure she was okay - he had worried constantly about her ability to care for herself over that week, namely whether she would bother to do so if she thought her life was coming to its end.

Instead, he let his eyes drift to the soldiers that all but dragged a handcuffed Lauren into the daunting hall, throwing her to her knees before the King. The week hadn't been easy for Lauren, understandably. Not only had her plans gone up in smoke, but so too had Thorin. She might have been there to witness the man she cared for be set alight by Sven's flames, but she had gathered the news of his fate from Ignisians gossiping about the events of that fateful night. Knowing she was alone, the week had brought challenge upon challenge to her - she had no money to leave the kingdom, no way of travelling far enough to evade the guards searching every inch of the land for her, and she had to cope with it all alone, knowing that any remnant of care Carina had had for her had now disappeared.

As it inevitably would when she had held murderous intentions towards her.

Her hiding herself away could only last so long before an inevitable discovery, and she knew the moment the handcuffs were placed upon her that her life would soon come to an end. She was determined not to give the King she despised the satisfaction of seeing her fear, no matter how difficult it was not to grow nervous once she was dragged into the grand hall; a large space that, though beautiful in its wooden walls, complimented by exquisite tapestries of Ignis' past, still held that air of intimidation and dominance. With Sven sat on his throne wearing an expression of poorly concealed rage, that dominant air only intensified and left Lauren valiantly fighting back her nerves as best as she could.

Unaware of Carina's own ordeal (word of the Queen's experience that week hadn't left the castle, after all), the woman's eyes drifted to her former friend in slight confusion at her dishevelled state - but they didn't remain on her long, not when Sven began to speak, his voice filling the hall.

"No matter what you say, you are condemned to publicly hang before the Ignisian people this afternoon. With that in mind, you ought to go to your grave an honest woman, Lauren. Reveal every detail regarding the plan that night and die with some dignity. Tell the truth. Do something good before you go to your grave."

The reiteration of her fate caused Lauren's tough exterior to fade, her hands shaking and head lowering as she struggled to comprehend the overwhelming fear setting in. A shaky breath left her as she felt her chest constrict, nausea starting to swell in her gut and causing bile to rise in her throat, the bitterness making her harshly grimace.

"I...think it's rather obvious what I and Thorin did. We planned to stab you in your cold, brutal heart and watch you bleed. He would take power after being overlooked his entire life; I would avenge my people and bring justice to those your kingdom wronged," she muttered, voice hoarse from a week of barely anything to eat or drink - and the frequent moments of anguished sobbing she had falling victim to in her grief and panic. "I don't desire to tell you anything more when there's nothing to tell. We hated you and we wanted you dead."

The brutal nature of the delivery and the bluntness of the statement did stun Sven, albeit momentarily. He had always been so convinced that underneath it all, Thorin still cared for him - and he had never once grown aware of Lauren's hatred of him. To hear how passionate their hatred of him was, to the extent it drove them to plans of murder, was genuinely horrifying, and it took everything he had to hold himself together.

"You and Thorin. Were you the only ones responsible? Because my wife, as a result of your cowardly escape from the consequences of your actions, has taken the brunt of the blame. She is due to hang today should you have remained undiscovered and, depending on what you have to say, she may still do so. So think, Lauren. Should she suffer the same fate as you or is she innocent of the crime she's been accused of in your absence? I really recomm--"

"She-- you were-- they were going to kill you?" Lauren interjected as her eyes, wide in horror, peered over to Carina, her physical state now making a lot more sense to her. The news rendered her speechless as she shook her head in the effort to comprehend just what she was hearing, for she knew with absolute certainty that the Queen was innocent; that she had no idea of the plan and had ultimately been deceived into believing that Lauren and Thorin only had the most innocent of intentions. She had hated Carina enough to want to see her dead beside her husband, that much was true, and had Carina not spared her life a few days ago by allowing her to take her exit, then perhaps Lauren's silence would continue. Or perhaps she would speak, condemning the other to the gallows alongside her.

But how could she do that when even after committing a crime that could have taken Sven from her, after lying and deceiving her, the other had still had enough care for Lauren that she was willing to let her leave unharmed? Lauren knew her death by the noose was inevitable... but Carina's didn't have to be.

"That's absolutely ridiculous. She ended our friendship for you; said she couldn't befriend someone who plotted to harm you. I lied to her, I said I no longer had those ambitions, I said I wanted to run away and start a life with Thorin. She, naively, believed me but still refused our friendship because of her loyalty to you and this godforsaken kingdom. I despised her for it; I was happy to stick a damn knife in her traitorous heart for it. I don't want her taking any credit for a righteous plan she had no part in. She severed ties with me when she chose you. I don't need nor want her having any connection to me; she couldn't make plans like Thorin and I. She hasn't the heart for it." Lauren clarified harshly, the bitterness like poison dripping from each and every word... though as truthful as some of it was, she was also putting a lot of it on. She couldn't hate someone who had risked everything to let her leave unscathed that night, but if she came across as sympathetic to Carina, she also knew there was room for Sven to doubt her words; accuse her of lying to spare the fate of her friend.

But if she appeared hateful and disgusted by Carina, then her words would be taken for what they were - the reluctant truth of a woman who had no reason to lie when her death was already confirmed.

"You happy now? Let's just-- get me to the dungeons. I have nothing more to say."

Walking to the grand hall felt like it took an age. The hallways and corridors seemed longer than usual, perhaps the length of them influenced by the servants and maids that she passed that whispered and allowed their eyes to follow their traitor of a Queen when they thought she wasn't looking. Carina's hands wrung together with a firmness that made it feel as though she was burning her own skin, her breaths unusually slow to a point where the young butler glanced to her over his shoulder once or twice.

Natalia's words rang through her head, to show dignity and not let on how awful the last week had been for her. And she tried, Carina tried so hard. But the shaking, brought on from fear the moment she had been summoned, made it difficult to keep her head high. At least the dress was clean and he hair brushed. With no maid assigned to her during her time as a criminal, no fancy style had been applied to the white-silver locks, thus leaving them to tumble around, and slightly past, her shoulders.

Despite it being Ignis, Carina could only feel colder and colder as they grew nearer to their destination. While she grew colder, her skin became clammier, a heavy weight settling on her chest and seemingly gaining a pound more with each step she took.

As soon as the doors swept open, she was surprised to find her gaze averting immediately, unable to look in the direction of the throne in case Sven was already there. It wasn't until a guard had taken hold her arm to march her towards a seat just off the side from the slight incline that lead to the throne, that Carina peeked in his direction from the corner of her eye. Only for a second or two, until she was looking away again.

He was pale, paler than she had seen him before. But apart from that... she could read nothing of him. Even his wounds were hid so well to a point she wondered if he had made some miraculous recovery.

She remained silent as the hand on her arm moved to her shoulder, pressing her gently down into the chair, in which she complied. Her hands clasped together in her lap, but on occasion her body still had to deal with one large tremor despite her best efforts to repress it.

Seeing Lauren...

Seeing Lauren only made her worse. The maid's face just flashed her back to waking up with the maid stood over her, a dagger in hand, and Lorcan's cries ringing in her ears. The metallic scent of her husband's blood seemed to catch in the back of her throat and bile soon rose, forcing her to swallow it back and cough softly once.

Sven's voice sent Carina wincing, her head turning away partially as her hands unfurled and pressed her palms hard into her knees. She found herself wishing to be anywhere else, just not listening to the exchange. Not seeing the maid she thought as a friend, in the neglected state she was in, pretty much sentenced to hang within the first few minutes of her being found. Not seeing her husband, with that pure, unadulterated rage and an air of dominance that even she had not seen before. It scared her. It scared her because it could be turned on her next.

As she felt Lauren's eyes on her, Carina's head bowed, gaze returning to her hands as she could barely look the other in the eye after all that had been done. She knew, in that moment of madness on that night, that she had let Lauren go. But now... after the torturous week that she had had, Carina could barely look at either of the two exchanging words before her. The mention of her possible sentence had her shoulders hunching and Lauren's incredulous repetition of it had her head turning away, eyes screwed up in pain.

It made her angry, that the maid had the nerve to act as though she was stupefied by what could happen to Carina later in the day. She would hang and be killed, not in the way she and Thorin planned it but at least they would get half of what they deserved on that fateful night eventually. Carina couldn't believe the gall that Lauren had to act as though killing her was wrong, when a few nights ago she attempted to do just that. However, she bit her tongue. She had no right to voice such fury when she came away at least physically unmarked. She was also on trial at that moment, but feeling broken as a human being. Hell, as a Queen.

Then the confession came, practically freeing her from any association and guilt. Each sentence felt like it was another needle to her heart, reminding her that Sven had to hear this from someone else in order to believe that she loved him too much to ever wish him harm. That she had given up her one and only friendship, to be with him. Yet it was a double-edged sword, with Lauren also admitting to her intense hatred for Carina. The venomous, cruel words felt like the icing on top of an emotionally-bruised, brutal week and oddly, a loneliness struck her. Perhaps due to the fact that she felt as though she was now stuck in a room with two people that though so low and little of her, and it was simply becoming too much.

Carina went to move, wanting to stand and even flee the great hall. However, the hand on her shoulder pushed her back down. It caused her to look up at the guard, hair falling back to reveal an expression of pain and misery. Tears stained her cheeks by this point, despite her best intentions to keep herself from looking weak.

It was easy to tell that Carina had bought the words that Lauren had provided, too tired and almost unwilling to see or hope that they weren't truly how her former friend felt. They had relied on each other for so long... but in the end, Carina supposed she really did cut the maid off because they eventually disagreed. She could have handled it better, and she would always regret that and linger on it.

Reluctantly, she moved tear-glazed eyes hesitantly to the throne and the king that sat upon it. Lauren's words of conclusion ringing in her ears. Though they meant nothing. Her death could still be sealed and completed within the hour, as originally planned. Her eyes lowered from her husband at the thought, anxiously fidgeting for a moment before forcing herself to still, the only movement then coming from the shaking of her hands.

Though Sven heard everything he had hoped to hear from Lauren (perhaps the vehemence of her anger and hatred of him aside), he wasn't entirely satisfied and couldn't claim to be. After all, despite being certain now that his wife was innocent of the crime he had all but accused her of, he still had to sit and endure Lauren viciously admit to vociferously hating him; he still had to acknowledge that she had manipulated him the entire time he had known her. Every night they spent together, every moment he thought he could trust and confide in her, every time he looked her way and thought he had a friend he could rely upon...

All of it was false - and when he now knew the extent of Thorin's anger (though the knife he had stabbed into him was a major indication of that), it wasn't possible to ease back into his throne, satisfied that he could call off the planned execution for Carina. He was satisfied about it, reassured that he wouldn't have to put someone to death who he would never lose love for, but it wasn't the matter that took up most, if not all, of his focus.

Not when he had heard confessions from the former maid that made his stomach twist in disgust and chest tighten in disheartenment. He was horrified that they had sought to kill him in the first place, but to do with such rage and anger when he had spent the last few months bettering himself and the kingdom as a whole? It resulted in the King finally disassociating from the reality around him, sinking back against his throne and staring mindlessly off into the distance. If he hadn't motioned to the guards to keep Lauren where she was before falling into that daze, they would have followed her presumption and taken her to the dungeon to await her public execution.

Instead, she was left on the floor beneath the King's throne, watching his expression remain eerily deadpan as he seemingly tried to process everything he had just heard. If Lauren thought, however, that he would simply send her to the dungeon once he had comprehended everything he needed to, then she was sorely mistaken. He wouldn't take the joy of watching a traitor hang from his people - but he also wouldn't let the girl go to the dungeons unscathed after her plot had left him bleeding out in his own bed, and his wife undeniably traumatised.

He broke out of the disassociated state with calm ease, the only break away from his composed expression being an inevitable grimace - as he stood from his throne, his abdomen ached and he placed a hand over the still healing wound to try and manage through the pain. He approached Lauren with that same calmness, observing her hardened expression for a mere second before his free hand grabbed her chin roughly, physically yanking her face up in order to force her to meet his eyeline.

If that was the only action he deigned appropriate, then Lauren would hardly dwell on it. It was rough and the action bound to cause a bruise along her jawline (she often forgot just how strong Sven could be), but nothing she would think about too much when in the dungeon when her death was fast approaching anyway. She merely scoffed in ridicule, derisively smirking as though she ought to fear him when all he had done was hold her chin and force her to glance upwards--

But then the burning started, the sight of the flames encompassing his hand catching her attention before the inevitable pain could, though when the latter kicked in, she expelled a blood-curdling scream and frantically attempted to jolt herself away. The guards at her sides held her into place, forcing her to experience every second of the torture until Sven felt satisfied that she had suffered. It was five seconds in its entirety, though five seconds was more than enough to leave a blistering burn across much of her neck; a pain that would agonisingly last her until she took her final breath later that day.

After all she had done to hurt his family, after everything she had planned to do to rip it apart... Sven felt no sympathy for her as she was dragged away, her screams of pain becoming sobs of self-pity and despair. Only after her removal from his grand hall (and after dismissing the servants that had lingered on the sidelines to observe the entire event) did he approach Carina, having required she not be dragged off back to the bedroom that had served as her cell for the last few days.

Only when he looked at her did his own hardened expression soften, the danger within his eyes melt to display a mixture of awkwardness and guilt, exemplified best by the wringing of his hands and the lowering of his gaze to the floor beneath him.

"...I'm not... sentencing you to death, Carina. I believe Lauren's words, they-- match your statement without contradiction. I... I'm unsure what else to say-- I can't trust you, that much is evident, so we aren't going to share a bedroom nor a... proper marriage, but... you are no longer a prisoner. The kingdom won't discover your lies to me. You're free to do as you wish. I think the effective shutdown of our marriage is punishment enough."

Carina pushed back into the cushion her her seat as Sven rose and began to descend from his throne, eyes wide and darting between the maid and king as she realised Lauren was who he was walking towards. When he took her chin in hand, she thought for a moment that he was going to kill her there and then; perhaps the words the maid spoke had infuriated behind that unreadable expression he held. It was one thing, from this whole outcome, that Carian hated most. She was unable to read her husband. He used to show his emotions more openly, even if not on his expression then there was always a glimmer of something within his eyes. But recently... on a few occasions there was nothing.

Her worry about that was halted at Lauren's sudden screaming. The sound ripped through her mind and Carina's eyes widened with horror as flames seemed to attach themselves to her former friends throat. It was only the second time she had seen Sven use his powers on another person, and while Thorin had been burned to a crisp, this one felt worse. This was not to kill, but to torture.

That familiar, bitter squeeze came across her chest and her vision began to swim, the room swaying and breathing coming harsh and rapid. Her hand reached out and grabbed onto the nearest thing to ground her, which turned out to be the guard's arm, who fortunately didn't force her to let go. However, the screams continued, making Carina's condition worsen to a point where she felt she was going to faint. As her body seemed to begin loosing tension, the guard behind her gently encouraged her to lean forward and place her head between her legs. Not the most dignified position, but Carina knew she was never going to be able to carry out Natalia's advice.

The panic attack that had risen within her was not just because of the cries and sobs of her former friend being tortured, but also because of the fear that it may also happen to her. Sven had said nothing after the confession that exempted her from the crime of attempted murder, and with her being unable to see what he was feeling, Carina was of course terrified of what was to come.

Tears dripped down onto the floor below her as the Queen sat, doubled over, mortified and horrified at both her weakness on display and the screams that were being drawn out from Lauren. She didn't even hear when they stopped, feeling as though they would go on and on forever.

Lost in the anxiety that riddled her every nerve, the trembling of her body seemed to worsen as the guard pulled at her shoulder to straighten her up once more and her gaze landed on Sven approaching her. The lack of tension in her body was quickly rectified, undoubtedly helped by the way her muscles were shaking, and she pressed herself even more into the chair, eyes unblinking and widened with fear.

His words, while they should have, brought her no comfort. Regardless of Lauren being brought in, she had still lost him. She had ruined their marriage. Everything... everything they had worked so hard for, gone, because of her. But for him to think that him shutting down their marriage was punishment enough... was laughable.

"...Y-you think that is punishment enough? Y-you think knowing that you didn't believe my love for you, knowing how hard it was for me to confess that in the first place, wasn't punishment enough? You think that not being able to be by your side as you get better, wasn't punishment enough? O-or how about on the first night, where I didn't know if you would even live? Or not even... not even being able to see Lorcan like a loving mother would? Hearing him, screaming and crying, down the hall... unable to do anything?"

Her voice wobbled, thick with tears that had yet to be shed, "Y-you might be going through hell and back, Sven. B-but don't act as though I haven't already been suffering through punishment already." She swallowed hard, dropping her gaze.

"I-- I accept what you have decided. M-May I leave now, please? I have no wish to... to prolong these proceedings and burden you with my presence and if you can trust me any longer."

Carina's trembling, her undeniable fear, was to be expected - but that didn't mean it made Sven feel any better. Admittedly, seeing the fear in Lauren's eyes was enjoyable, he couldn't deny just how much of a thrill he got from knowing she feared what he was capable of, but she was someone he harboured no care nor respect for. He didn't care to be seen in a good light by her when she had plotted to have him killed - he wanted to see her catatonic with fear; he wanted to hear her scream the moment his flames scorched and burnt her flesh.

Perhaps it wasn't the behaviour he was expected of committing in recent months, with the court system and prison purposely set up to encourage the use of fair trials with civil punishment... but he had acted on impulse, so filled with rage that he couldn't help himself but to torture the woman and set out her execution without trial. Frankly, he also didn't regret such an action. As juxtaposing as it might be to the new future he had planned for himself, a criminal such as Lauren deserved nothing less than a fierce punishment from the King himself.

He doubted anyone in Ignis could argue against that.

But Carina... she wasn't someone he wanted to see fearful of his every move. He might not see a future between them (how could a marriage exist without trust?) and he may not even feel comfortable standing in her presence when one glance at her just reminded him of the blatancy of her lies and deceit (whatever her reason, she had still been dishonest to him when he explicitly asked for truth)... but he didn't want her to tremble as he approached, nor stammer over her words.

As understandable as it was when she had been put through hell for the week and assumed a portion of torture was probably reserved for her, Sven's frown only deepened in realisation. If things had been bad between them before, torturing Lauren as he had only consolidated it. It proved he was unpredictable; prone to acting violently despite maintaining a calm, unreadable expression. He reluctantly understood why Carina might be wary around him - especially when he had doubted their love the entire week and made her a prisoner within her own home without sufficient proof of her guilt.

"...You can go, of course. You might want to rest, so servants will gather the belongings from my room and bring them to your own. You can dine elsewhere tonight, though I imagine you may not feel like eating. Should you wish to attend the execution, it'll take place at three at the square in the centre of town - you may take a carriage if you desire to be present, though I can't imagine you would," he murmured in response, tone matter-of-fact and void of the emotions he felt building within him. He wanted to snap back at her and emphasise that despite it all, thee had been a great deal of kindness shown to her throughout that week.

She had a bedroom, not a cell.

She had access to Lorcan; a friend made in Natalia.

She was spared the fury of the Ignisian people, her reputation remaining intact amongst them all.

...But he didn't. He wasn't immature enough to provoke an argument when she had a point; she had been through as much hell as he had, and if he was exhausted from it all, he knew she had to be too.

"Lorcan will rest in his nursery; you may see him whenever you want, I have no right to keep you from him. But-- let me just say this. If you think of fleeing from the castle, running away because you cannot stand to live here with me now our marriage has effectively broken down-- you can do whatever you'd like, but you will not ever take my son from me. He stays here. You're welcome to remain here, we can present a false image of marriage bliss to the people, or you can leave but you do so alone. Lorcan does not go with you. Is... Is that clear?"

"W-why would I wish to attend? I have... I have no desire to be near a place that would have witnessed my own death in half hour if it hadn't been... it it hadn't been for Lauren being found." Her gaze remained focused on her hands, clasped together firmly enough to cause her nails to bite into the skin on the knuckles of the other hand. "I'm sure you will... come up with some excuse for my absence. Perhaps that I am still recovering from the birth... or that I didn't wish to leave Lorcan alone in the castle after such an event - he will not be attending. I will not have it. Though I would like to think you would not have taken him before I said anything."

The only time her voice held strength was towards the end, speaking of Lorcan and her desire to keep him as untouched by that night as possible. She was certain that Sven would not be so stupid as to take a baby to an execution, but after all that had happened, her desire to keep Lorcan safe was borderline obsessive.

The fact that his voice was once more aloof and business-like continued to unnerve Carina. He may be sparing her life, but she no longer knew of any emotion he may have still harboured for her. In her eyes, everything he felt for her was gone, or at least was on the track to disappearing. After her deception and the pain she had caused him, she had no reason to believe that he wouldn't revert back to how they were before. Except this time he knew of her emotions, something she had tried so hard to conceal and refuse to put on show. She had become vulnerable around him... now she feared if all of that would be used against her.

Natalia said he still felt something for her, but looking up at him after his warning about Lorcan and the threatening tone, to see nothing but the empty depths in his eyes, Carina was wondering if Natalia had only been telling a little white lie to give her hope.

"Do you think I'm that big of a fool to try something like that?" Carina responded quietly, almost in disbelief, staring up at him from her chair. She didn't dare stand just yet, not without knowing if her legs had regained enough strength to stand without appearing overly weak. They still felt numb after the miniature panic attack at Lauren's screams, and she would rather not find out the hard way regarding if they had feeling in them once more.

"Lorcan will have both his parents in his life. I am not selfish enough to deprive him of that. The fact you think I would is q-quite frankly insulting. My son will have me in his life, especially with how close he came to not having me in it at all. And I'll act as your otherwise perfect wife at functions we cannot avoid, and you can do whatever you like outside of those yourself. I also shan't bother you with state affairs, I'm not dull enough to believe I would be welcome by your side again now. I will tend to Lorcan while you tend to the kingdom."

Satisfied her body wasn't going to betray her, Carina pushed herself to her feet and stepped to the side, casually laying a hand on top of the chair. Innocent looking, but there in case she calculated wrong and also to keep it from quivering at her side. "And I-- I suppose you will still be wanting your two spares. So o-once I am... once a few months have passed, we can try for a second. The sooner we get them, the better, yes?"

If he wished for things to be a matter of business between them from now on, then Carina would not argue. She would suffocate her emotions and become void of them just as he had done. She was exhausted, defeated, broken, and had no strength to fight for something she knew was impossible to get back. However, despite the neutral expression she had hastily painted onto her features, the hurt and pain of the past week lingered within her eyes. And instead of allowing her emotional weakness and trauma to show any longer, Carina curtseyed low and slipped by him to head for the grand hall doors.

As Carina came back with her retorts, as she had every right to do, Sven quietly stood before her and allowed every word to be uttered without interjection, correction or even clarification. He may have a wave of thoughts hit him at every statement she made and feel that desire to respond to her, whether it be to sharply contradict one of her claims or to seek to reassure some of her assumptions, but he didn't.

He remained unreadable as he inwardly and silently assessed every word from her lips, opting not to satisfy her fears with assurances or encourage them by snapping sharply (she didn't particularly deserve either when he both cared and despised her, that mindset just epitomising how confused he felt about Carina as a whole).

He could mention that her execution would have occurred on private property in the castle's courtyard, away from the town square where Lauren was doomed to hang before the Ignisian crowd; a fate he hadn't desired to put Carina through despite her apparently assuming that to have been the case. Similarly, he could have easily corrected another of her assumptions - he had no desire of having another child with her, unable to fathom being romantic or intimate with her in any way when he was as hurt and felt as betrayed as he did. As much as he cared for her, the hurt would always overpower it, hence the breakdown in their marriage and his unmoving decision not to have another child.

Having just Lorcan was potentially a risk in terms of the kingdom's security, but it wasn't necessarily a disaster. His parents had only had him, after all, and that had worked out fine; there had been no need, in the end, for 'spares'. Sven had always required another two at the least just to ensure Ignis would be ruled by one of his children, but it hadn't been the motivating factor - he had just wanted a large family to fill the castle with joy and make it a family home.

Even if that family was now disjointed, he could still achieve that in some form with just Lorcan. He was perfectly happy being a father to just the one child - and even if he wasn't happy with it, he knew he would have to get over the issue quickly because entertaining the idea of being intimate with Carina just evoked feelings of hurt and disgust. He might have been able to manage it in the past, but he couldn't now; he had fallen in love with her since then and that love had only recently broken apart. It would hurt and mess with his brain far too much if he muddled the boundaries in such a way.

His only words came as a result of Natalia finally making her appearance, the adviser somewhat breathless after rushing as professionally as she could through the corridors of the castle to the grand hall, the sight of Carina heading out without guards at her side making her grin in spite of the regret she felt at not being there whilst the event went down.

"Natalia-- I need you in my office, immediately. The execution is taking place this afternoon -Lauren's execution- and I'll need a speech drafting before it--"

"I-- I'd be delighted to help, I would, but-- maybe I ought to help her Majesty to her bedroom first? Bring her some tea?-- Would you like a cup, Carina? It might help with the, ah... ordeal you've been through this morning. A hot cup of sweet tea tends to work miracles, I've found. I'd recommend wine, but it's perhaps a little too early for that."

The conversational tone from his friend only served to make Sven frown in displeasure. There was nothing he would have liked more than the two to get along back a few months ago, but now, with Thorin gone, Lauren set to follow suit and his bond with Carina in ruins, he only had Natalia to call upon for support. To see her more focused on ensuring Carina was alright (even if it was understandable after she had spent the week in her company, seeing how badly she was dealing with everything) was difficult, his frown deepening the longer he contemplated the fact he might end up with nobody in his corner by the end of the day.

"...Do that then. I'm sure I can manage to write myself a speech without you. I've managed without your assistance before, I'm not incapable of doing so now."

"That isn't-- I'm not-- Sven, I can be along to help you in twenty minutes at the most. I'm your adviser and your friend; I need to help you and I want to help you."

"Not as much as you want to make her tea, though. It's fine, Nat. You girls stick together, hm? You've got a lot in common. You both lied to my face and deceived me; I'm sure you can sit and chat about your deceptions together over that cup of tea."

The spitefulness of his words might be borne from the fear that he would be left without a friend now all the people he cared for were either dead, nearing death or fallen out of his favour, and Natalia understood that, but they still hurt, especially at the anger behind his eyes that prompted them. She watched in slight disbelief as he passed by her, her body unmoving and expression visibly stunned as she tried to comprehend the fact her past behaviour, which he had forgiven her for, was suddenly thrown right back at her again. The idea of hearing that mistake flung at her at every disagreement or argument was horrifying, and it took every fibre of strength she had in her not to let it affect her as much as it could.

"You should go to your room, or stop by the nursery and see Lorcan. I'll leave you to it, you probably want to be left alone with your son. I'll have that tea sent up for you, though. You need it, Carina. Just-- go a-and, ah... go and see Lorcan, I'm sure he'll want a cuddle from you."

Even Carina was mildly shocked by Sven's bitter words that were thrown in Natalia's direction with the intention to harm. She had stood there, incapable of interjecting to tell Natalia that she was fine, to go with Sven. To be perfectly honest, she had been a little surprised at Natalia's instant concern about her. The past week had allowed them both to see another side to the other, but that didn't mean Carina anticipated the adviser would be willing to help see her to her room after her verdict had been carried out, never mind offering sweet tea.

But Sven's words had brought a halt to the flicker of relief and even hope she had that she would at least have someone in her corner. His deepening frown also causing her to wonder if her and Natalia's newfound friendship would actually ever take off. Those concerns were only amplified by his last, harsh comment, which led to Carina staring at him open-mouthed.

As he walked by, Carina remained still, facing the inside of the grand hall. Her own brow was furrowed and her lips remained parted as she attempted to simply comprehend what was said. She understood, after a moment, that it was coming from a place of hurt and perhaps even fear. Natalia had always been his friend, and now things seemingly were patched up with Carina, she could imagine that he felt as though he was losing his last remaining friend. However, she was also aware that him lashing out at Natalia and using her past mistakes against her would probably result in Natalia being pushed away. And the last thing Carina wanted was to be the reason why he too late Natalia. If her not having anyone in her corner meant that Sven felt as though he had someone, she would admittedly do that in a heartbeat.

"Don't worry about the tea and--... and please don't worry about me. Just stay with him, for today at least. Y-you know he wouldn't have meant those things. He's just acting out... it might even be that he's trying to push you away and feel like it was his decision, you know? Who-- who knows what he's thinking. Please, just stay with him, okay? Maybe get him his coffee... make sure he eats something. I-- I wouldn't want him feeling alone, especially after all of this."

Carina breathed out quietly, thumbs slowly rotating around the other as her hands remained clasped together. "It might be best if you just... focus on him for a few days. I-I know what he said was cruel, but... but I don't think he meant it. Just stay with him, I'm clearly no longer a reassuring presence, so you must be. I-- I'll be fine. I promise."

She knew she would have to draw out the strength she mustered during her first few weeks in Ignis. Before she befriended Lauren, when Emmett was locked in the dungeons, before her love for Sven, when she and Natalia still despised each other. When she was truly and utterly alone.

"I'll have Lorcan. He'll distract me." She swallowed thickly and soon after forced a small smile onto her expression, "Go, quickly, while you can still catch him up."

"...I've heard much worse, from him as well as others. He used to say horrid things to me when we were younger, inevitably after he'd hung out with Thorin. He'll apologise for it later on, I'm sure. He's just... I don't need to tell you how he gets. He gets in his own head, makes assumptions and starts to believe it to be the truth. He'll apologise once he... realises he's simply being paranoid," she murmured slowly once the horror of what had been thrown at her during the moment with Sven finally died down. It would stick with her and she couldn't simply forget about it, but she understood Sven more than most people ever could.

She knew he wouldn't speak to her as he had done without a reason, even if that reason was ultimately misconstrued through his fear and unease. As hurt as such moments were, she would always forgive him because a) he always apologised and b) she felt bad for him. Regardless how cruel his remarks could be, he was inevitably affected by a childhood where he might as well have been invisible, such was the extent of his parents' lack of care for him. When they did notice him and di pay him attention, that never ended well either, the unspeakable cruelty he had been victim to meaning the friends he had made were ones he cherished.

He hadn't made many as he grew up so they had meant the world to him, which meant their ultimate betrayal, whether it be through lies or going as far as to try and murder him, hurt Sven much more than it would hurt others in his position. Natalia might have hurt him, but she was also the last friend he felt he had right now - and seeing her display consideration for Carina made his paranoia explode. It had resulted in some unfortunate comments he wouldn't ordinarily make to Natalia, but she understood that and had already brushed the incident aside.

It was hard to forget, but she could -and would- forgive him for it because she knew what it stemmed from, and knew, above all else, he needed a friend. If she was the last one he had left, she couldn't turn her back on him in his time of need. Friends just didn't do that.

"I'll write him that speech, god knows he won't manage it; he's barely slept. I'll get him a coffee too, it should perk him up, you're right. You just get along to that son of yours, Carina - and if I don't see you the rest of the day, try and get some rest. The advice I've given you for this week still applies beyond it - Lorcan needs you. Even if you don't feel like, take care of yourself, for his sake," she emphasised with a nod, daring to reach across to give the Queen's hand a squeeze. The continuation of the advice and consideration for Carina didn't have to come to an end just because her life was spared - she hadn't forced the amicability just because she thought the other was going to die. She had got on with the woman because there was an understanding between them and a shared revelation that they had both probably held grudges that didn't need to exist.

Past behaviours might not be forgiven easily, but Natalia was willing to try because, despite not quite believing it herself, she had grown to like Carina. Regardless of what Sven thought, she wanted to continue that good faith for the future.

With a faint smile, she exited the grand hall to follow after Sven and hopefully prevent his paranoia from spiralling any further, knowing she would only be in for more unnecessarily rude quips if it did.