Lethal Reword - Tatters of the Fourth Wall

Bolas followed the deva to the storage room. Looking around, he spied his backpack. He could easliy tell it was his. "Acid stains, scorches from magic'l f're. Yep, dis one's mine," he said to no one in particular, hefting the pack onto over his shoulder and sliding his scaled arms into the straps. Now he began the task of scouring the room for his weapon and implement: A particularly gruesome looking scythe, which he lovingly refered to as Unscythe, Killer of Kings. Not only was the scythe his weapon and implement all rolled into one, but it also had strapped to it a large, tome-sized partially blank notebook which he had titled "The Path of Saint Samuel". Bolas had started righting down quotes from Samuel L. Jackson, among other famous bad-asses whom he figured would make good saints for his new patron Google. If he was going to start a cult, this book would be necessary. Finally, after a minute of searching, he foudn it tucked away in a corner. "Ah, there ye are, me Unscythe. Come 'ere to ol' Bolas." Now, turning to his new companions, he said, "So, is we's gonna git da hecks outta dis place, 'r da ya wanna deal wit da nightly parade o' rats 'n other vermin?"

Vagre followed the other two and began rummaging through the storeroom, completely ignoring the other two now. "ITS NOT HERE" he shouted referring to his belongings. Then he realized he needed help, an explanation, anything. "GEEE EMMM" he called exiting the storeroom at a fast walk. "REZ... WHATEVER YOUR NAME IS." he stepped outside and looked around. Something caught his eye, what was a big hole doing in the sky?

He staggered bachwards, overcome with a sick feeling that feemed to pernetrate his entire body. "WHAT THE HELL NOW!!?" he looked around confused. "I need answers."

"Ah, really? Thanks!"

when they got to the tailor's shop, Kat felt somewhat awkward. She was still getting used to this whole being a girl thing-sure, it was easy to mess with the guys' heads, but she had always had a tiny problem being around ladies.

or at least, trying to be like she was with the guys with them.

"Ah..Excuse me, miss, but my friend here's trying to get me some new clothes, so she led me here. I figure I should go for something that does a bit better job of showing off my figure than what I have on now, but won't fail miserably to hold up whenever I go out adventuring." She thought for a bit on the wardrobe of videogame characters.

"..Which it probably won't, no matter what it is..maybe something in black?"

"ITS NOT HERE" Vagre shouted while rampaging thru the dungeon storeroom.

"Huh? You sure? Weren't they supposed to have placed your things someplace safe? You know, standard security procedures and whatnot..." Faramond asked in return. However, the rampaging rouge ignored him.

"GEEE EMMM" Vagre yelled as he stormed out of the dungeon storeroom. He walked at a fast pace, like a raging madman. "REZ... WHATEVER YOUR NAME IS." he shouted as soon as he had reached the exit of the town hall. He looked around, perhaps, looking for this Rez or something, and then he saw something in the sky. He staggered backwards and seemed to be somewhat sick. He recovered a second later and glared at the sky.

"WHAT THE HELL NOW!!?" he growled, "I need answers."

"Wait a second..." Faramond said as he caught up with Vagre. "You mean that is our GM?" he asked, pointing at the moon.

"I doubt he could give you answers, being in that form." he went on.

Faramond sighed and sat down on one of the steps leading towards the town hall. "You know what," he told Vagre, "there's no use yelling at the moon, even if, indeed, it is our GM."

"We might even enrage him if we go on yelling at him, right?" he continued. "So if I were you, I'd just relax and enjoy the moonlight."

Faramond felt dizzy after that statement. He breathed deeply and gritted his teeth. "Never mind that relaxing under the moonlight part. I think it's a bad moon, and it's making me sick."

"Huh." was all Varge could manage before he managed to stop staring at where the moon should be. "No, not the moon..........." he said wistfully. "This game is beyond the control of a moon thats not even there." he shook his head.

"Um, he said turning to Frumond. "I need to find out what s going on here, not just with us being here, but with everything. Knowledge is power and I would like a little power over this game."

He looked around the town square, looking for likely candidates. Then seeing one of the townspeople decided it was time to mingle.

"Excuse me." he began "I was wondering if you could tell me a little of whats going on, and if there could be any reason for that." he gestured at the moon.

The townsperson Vagre spoke to was a strange individual indeed. In fact, the individual seemed surprised Vagre was talking to it... first off, the gender of said individual was in question. Bags deep under it's eyes identified it as sleepless. Without any fear, the person's head tilts slightly to the left, pulling out... an origami cat, from it's coat. The cat looks up at Vagre... and meows, paper crinkling as it does so. The cat jumps from the person's hands at Vagre, unfolding itself... and becomes the character sheet that Vagre had thrown away before. Distracted by this, no one notices the townsperson leave - only that it is not there in the next blink.

On the back of the character sheet, this is written: "Things you need to know: A war between humans and demihumans has sprouted from the refusal of Good to continue battling the forces of Evil. Somewhere in this time, the moon vanished, replaced with the light-consuming entity in the sky. The followers of Sehanine, the moon goddess, were weakened horribly in this, and the elven nations lost their grace and intelligence, joining the demihuman forces as bestial guerrilla troopers. The town you are in is called 'Fishing Town'. Named NPC's in town: Aidyn Lightbringer, Snowy the Tailor, Hiro and his Mother, High Priest Dune, McGraw the Smith.

"Special Note: If you toss your sheet away, you loose your skills and equipment, as well as the ability to earn Experience Points! Oh no! So don't do it, 'kay? With Love," the name following this is smudged out unintentionally. Darn!

--------

The first thing easily visible about the tailor was his eyes - his glasses magnified them to ridiculous proportions, making him look a bit like an anime character. The youthful lad smiled a bit, rubbing the back of his head in an embarrassed manner, rustling white hair. He looked positively nerdy, though in a cute manner. "Um... ah...." At a loss for words a few moments, he looks shamefully at the floor - rather than at Kat, whom he had been inspecting.

"...Y-Yeah... 'course." He turns, "I... uhh... already kn-know your... um, measurements. By sight. So... umm... I'mma take c-care of it... 'kay?" He looks over his shoulder shyly...

He, himself, was dressed in a white shirt and white pants, woven with silver threads as well in intricate patterns - one wouldn't have to have a ridiculous intelligence or wisdom to assume it was symbolizing a winter breeze. "...So... umm... w-what's wrong with... uhhh, your... clothes? The... s-studious look suits you."

Vagre's mouth fell open at the sight of the cat, he couldn't speak as it move, oh my god it moves, then it settled down, like any cat would just before pouncing, and jumped at Vagre. He tried to raise his arms to defend himself but instead found himself holding the character sheet he had thrown away right before everything had started going wrong.

"That was weird how did you...." he looked at where the character had been but he/she was gone.

"Did you see that?" he asked Framond, his eyes wide before turning the sheet over in his hands and reading what was written there. Perhaps this cold also help you understand what is going on."

"Huh." was all Varge could manage before he managed to stop staring at where the moon should be. "No, not the moon..........." he said wistfully. "This game is beyond the control of a moon thats not even there." he shook his head.

"Yeah, I guess..." Faramond thought, "It doesn't even make sense if this game's GM, the ultimate god in this game, would limit himself to just one form. I guess he would choose any and whatever form the situation calls for. Like... huh?" Faramond looked around for Vagre, but he was no longer around the town hall steps. "Where did Vagre go?"

He looked around the nearby areas and saw Vagre talking to a sleepy townperson. The townperson brought out an origami cat that jumped over to Vagre, and unfolded itself. Faramond noticed that by the time he got closer, the townperson that Vagre was talking to had already disappeared.

"Did you see that?" Vagre asked Framond as soon as the latter caught up. Vagre turned the sheet over and read what was written there. "Perhaps this cold also help you understand what is going on."

Faramond moved closer to Vagre and also read the character sheet. "Background information huh? This is helpful if we are to play this game as the GM wishes.... However, it is not that helpful in finding out a way out of here"

Having done reading, Faramond stepped back. "See what?" Faramond asked in return to Vagre's question. "I can see no townperson, which is perhaps the GM's chosen avatar for this situation. Though I can see that this townperson, or perhaps the GM, returned your character sheet to you. Which is a good thing."

"And also, I think your equipment is already with you..." Faramond said, pointing at the bag lying beside Vagre's feet.

Faramond lifted his bag of equipment and wore it on his back. "I guess asking random townspeople about won't help us much if we are to look for a way out of this game. The townspeople would help us play this game, not escape it," he said.

"So.." he asked after a long pause, "where to?"

"I thought you said that the tailor was a woman.." Kat's attention went back to the young man.
"Oh, they're fine and all. But if you want to have a nice night on the town.." She leaned over the counter and smiled at him, reaching out with one hand to stroke his neck. "..I might need something a bit different. I don't think most professors of parapsychology have good social lives."

Vagre picked up the bag and swung it onto his back. "The thing with the cat.... and that strange, person." he shook his head "Never mind.... hey, you hungry? He could find a tavern, and perhaps they have a side-quest or two. He could use some experience."

He looked down at his sheet and noticed there was a new line at the bottom. "Ouch."he said quietly at the memory of hitting his head. "So thats what happened." he didn't like the idea of someone rolling dice to decide the outcomes of his actions. It felt.... unfair.

He folded up his sheet and slipped it into its pocket. "You know, now that I think of it I would have liked having a pet paper cat, would have called it crinkles." he sighed "So... tavern?"

Vagre picked up the bag and swung it onto his back. "The thing with the cat.... and that strange, person." he shook his head "Never mind.... hey, you hungry? He could find a tavern, and perhaps they have a side-quest or two. He could use some experience."

He looked down at his sheet and noticed there was a new line at the bottom. "Ouch."he said quietly at the memory of hitting his head. "So thats what happened." he didn't like the idea of someone rolling dice to decide the outcomes of his actions. It felt.... unfair.

He folded up his sheet and slipped it into its pocket. "You know, now that I think of it I would have liked having a pet paper cat, would have called it crinkles." he sighed "So... tavern?"

[size=-1]

Neru turned slightly pink, embarrassment of his own at not better restraining himself. Of course he had made the warrior nervous, he chided himself with a frown. Standing on his own, he tugged the corners of his mouth into what was meant to be a smile, brushing his hair from his face.

Stretching his arms upwards to the sky, Neru marveled in the body he had been given. It certainly felt different, the smooth sinews of his body were vivdly alive feeling. He yawned and turned towards the town. "I'd say the best bet for food is there, we might even be able to follow our noses when we've gotten closer," he chimed lightly, pointing at it.

"Were you hoping to meet up with the others?" he frowned. Maybe the warrior wanted space?
[/size]​

Rox shakes his head. "N-no! I..." He thinks on it for a moment. "I like being with you. Uhh... just you. Let's go find something to eat..." He looks up at the symbol of Melora. "...Let's head to the church. I.. think I remember something important about them." He shrugs, taking the male by the hand and leading him forward. "Plus, it'll be nice to get out of this hot, wet armor..." He grins his sharptoothed grin, walking a bit faster.

---------

The young man looked taken aback, looking like he was about to cry, directly at Aidyn, who began to snicker behind her hand. "Oh, don't be like that, Snow. I tell everyone you're a woman. It helps that you're so into guys."

Snow huffs, tears welling up in the sides of his eyes as he turns away. "You're s-so mean to me, Aidyn... s'not f-f-fair." He raises his hand, wiping something out of the side of his eye.

Aidyn's gaze softens. "Awww, cuttitout. I've brought you a customer."

Snow sniffles a little bit, before turning to look at Kat. "...Y-yeah..." He scoots further aaway from the counter. "...Sure... I c-can make something for you... Ummm... w-what's your budget?"

Aidyn reaches into a pouch on her belt, pulling out a smaller pouch and laying it on the table. "Fifty gold pieces." Snow's eyes bug out a bit, and he nods, turning and getting right to work.

---------

Meanwhile, Rox and Neru had finished the short walk to the Church of Melora. The salty smell of the sea swirled around the place, blowing hair and sand around in visible whirlwinds. The church was made of coral and brick, and the tallest tower was emblazoned with Melora's symbol: That of a seashell with a blue swirl upon it.

Rox looked up at the tower. "...Well. I guess this is the place."

[size=-1]
Neru looked in awe at the building, trying not to let his eyes focus on the warrior. Was it right that the comment about the armor had sent his head spinning? Just the breeze, the thick and heavy air is making you thick unclearly...

Knowing on the door of the building, Neru looked around with wide eyes. The coral was appealing to him and he had to restrain himself to keep from touching it. He had never been to a beach before, this his whole being new, for it was a wholly new experience. He wanted to take Roxelvi with him to splash inthe water, to spend the time talking in the sun.

With a glance to Roxelvi, he realized that he hadn't seen the warrior without his bulky armor. Hadn't held him without it either something whispered inside him, traitorously silky and inviting. He shook his head.

"Should we wait or just go in?"
[/size]​

Rox snaps out of his daze, looking to Neru. "...Um, I think we should go inside." He steps forward, reaching towards the handle... and, for some reason, hesitates. He bites his lower lip, turning to look towards Neru once more. "...I've... not been in many churches before. I hope we don't run into anyone... preachy."

He grips the handle, hesitating a few more moments... raising his other hand and knocking three times, before slowly opening the door and slipping inside.

-----------

The sweet aromas of various foodstuffs assault their nostrils, along with a great deal of warming steam in opposition to the cold, cold night. The inside was decorated with water-smoothed stones, and seemed to have freely been formed by the steaming-warm waterfalls throughout the building. Grates cover hot coals in various parts of the ground, and the servants of Melora sit in various levels of clothing, both in an out of the water, mostly near these grates - which turned out to be used as grills for the meat, fish, and grilled vegetables they were cooking.

A few of them look up, laughing a bit and waving them in. "Hey! It's that cute warrior who saved the kid... and his cute wizard friend! Hi! Pull up a pool and dig in!"

-------------

Rox's jaw dropped, and his eyes glazed over as he looked upon this scene. He mumbles, "...Y'know, I could get to like the church of Melora..."

[size=-1]

Nerusai looked around the room, the warmth creeping across his skin like a warm touch. He glanced at the people sitting around, trying to decipher what sort of church would do this sort of thing. In the end, the answer didn't matter, for this one did at least.

"Well, you can get food now, right?" Neru said laughing forcedly as he ran a hand through his hair, the tendrils dampened by the humid air were sticking to his skin. He tried to seem unaffected by the thought of sitting in a pool with Roxelvi as they had suggested. Wandering to the side, he took off his smooth, worn boots and placed them against a wall.

Holding his robes up, Neru dipped his feet in a pool that did not have any people in it, feeling instantly eased by the hot water. He was unsure of what the emotions swirling in his mind could mean, but he wasn't sure they were good. They could get you hurt...
[/size]

Kat turned back to Aidyn, leaning up against the counter. "Now, that wasn't fair." Also, is everyone in this area gay? Or at least bisexual. Could be nice.
"He seems rather shy..kinda strange, since I don't think a town this size would have more than one tailor. Normally that would mean he gets rather intimate with everyone here. Can he really just tell someone's exact measurements by looking at them?"

She thought for a bit. Might as well press Aidyn for more information.
"..Also, how long has the current king been reigning, and how much research is focused on beings from the outer planes?"

Zu heard a door slam and jumped up her sword in hand. She blinked and looked around the room. Everything was just as it was before she had fallen asleep. Shaking her head from the sleepy feeling she watched Michael. He was out cold. Worried about him she went to his bed and checked his breathing. He was alive but in what condition she didnt know. He sure stunk and she had to back away. Rubbing her nose from the rank mix of ale and sweat that drenched him.

Zu moved back to the window and opened it just a little to get some fresh air in the room. It helped and she took in the scents of the night. The soft floral breeze off the roses in the garden just a stones throw away. Someone was burning cheery wood and even some Elm? No it was.. She sniffed a bit more and then sneezed hard. It was burch. She sneezed a few more times and rubbed her nose. Her eyes floated over to Michael. She hoped he was still sleeping but her sneezes flexed the window and rattled the door. Embaraced she looked out the window again to avoid him yelling at her incase he did wake up. Zu was also thinking about the others and could smell food in the air. Her stomach growled as she waited on Michael to wake before she left him alone. That was one thing you never did.. was leave a member behind no matter how drunk or foolish they might be. It would always lead to trouble, this much she did know.

Vagre picked up the bag and swung it onto his back. "The thing with the cat.... and that strange, person."

Faramond can only shake his head in reply, Vagre did the same and went on, "Never mind.... hey, you hungry? He could find a tavern, and perhaps they have a side-quest or two. He could use some experience."

Faramond shrugged his shoulders. Not that he had much to do in this world anyways.

Vagre looked down at his sheet and noticed there was a new line at the bottom. "Ouch." Vagre said quietly at the memory of hitting his head. "So thats what happened."

Faramond's eyes widened but didn't reply.

Vagre folded up his sheet and slipped it into its pocket. "You know, now that I think of it I would have liked having a pet paper cat, would have called it crinkles."

Faramond yet again, didn't reply.

Vagre sighed at the lack of reaction from his companion. He looked around and shrugged his shoulders, "So... tavern?"

"Yeah," Faramond said, "I think we can find more information there, not to mention that we might get to meet more player characters there."

As he said that, Faramond started walking. He knew that at this time of night, the tavern would be the only place left open, and as such, it would not be hard to spot.

"Let's go..." Faramond said, without looking back to Vagre.

Vagre followed without another word. And soon, after walking thru the town's deserted streets, they found the tavern. It was brightly lit from inside, and from the outside, one can see the shadows of people. He turned back towards Vagre and gave him a slight nod. "I guess this is it..." Faramond thought as he opened the door.

The tavern looked like a tavern from the inside. Townsmen, drinking after a hard day's work, occupied the tables neatly arrayed across the rather huge room. Some of the lonelier guys sat next to the bar, and drank their sorrows away. All of these men, except those at the bar, saw Faramond and Vagre enter the tavern and walk towards the bar. Some smiled at them and raised their mugs of beer, most others simply smiled, while others simply glanced at them and went on with whatever they're doing.

The bartender smiled at Faramond and said, "What do you know! More of them player characters."

Faramond was slightly surprised at the bartender's words, but didn't say anything.

"Surprised, aren't you?" the bartender said as he motioned Faramond and Vagre to sit, "And I would be surprised too if I were you."

"Oh, hold on..." the bartender said as he laughed a bit and left them.

"Wh.. what's the meaning of this?" Vagre asked Faramond.

"It's the NPC's," Faramond replied, "Our beloved GM controls them, I think."

"He knew we were coming, and he knew what we're up to" Faramond continued, and then fell silent. Both of them fell silent for a while, at least until the bartender came back and gave Faramond and Vagre a bottle of beer each.

Faramond looked at the bartender quizzically, he didn't expect free beer.

"First bottle of beer is free" the bartender said, smiling. "Anyways, you guys looked so serious. Did the plot leave you behind or whatnot?"

"Uh," Faramond said, "We, sort of avoided the plot... But then again, we realized that we had no other choice but to follow it. And that's what brought us here."

Faramond took the bottle of beer and drank it all at once. "We want to catch up with the plot, and we know that the tavern is the best place to do that."

Vagre followed Framond to the tavern and once inside followed his lead. Hell at least they got free beer, pity it wasn't ale he had been curious to try ale. He sipped his beer and listened to Framond talk to the barman, a small smile playing on his lips, yeah these NPCs where weird, and ir was a little amusing to watch someone else get the experience.

"Yup, my dear jail-mate here is right, we want a quest. Or at least we want to know where we can find other PCs who are already on a quest. Plot or subquest, we do it all. How much for another beer?"