Anira blinked in surprise hearing of the baker's death. At first she was worried she would suffer the same fate, but Konrad's assurance that she would be guarded helped put her fears at bay.

"I'm ready to work whenever you need me," she responded. "But I do have a question. Can I sleep here?"

Since she arrived in Lescatia, Anira had been sleeping on the streets. It wasn't an ideal situation, and she often couldn't stay asleep, jostled awake by every sound she heard. No one wondered the street at night except for vampires and criminals, and Anira feared both. Additionally, the nights were cold and uninviting, and she often found herself too cold to fall asleep. She was desperate for a night's rest.

• Love
Reactions: ImaginationGoneWild
The Matriarch stopped abruptly and Iva stayed still. Had she offended the creature in some way? Iva kept her eyes averted when the Matriarch stared at her.

Looking around for something to focus on Iva started to notice the shambling noises of the undead getting closer, and closer. Her breathing sped up as she looked back and forth between the Matriarch and the zombie before pointing at it.

"Look o-"

Iva flinched and ducked down. With frightening speed the spider's leg pierced the shambling corpse, twitching and gurgling as it clawed at the foreign object that skewered its body. Through auburn hair she watched its suffering in horror when the zombie began to convulse even more, parts of it caving in as whatever force is willing it to live is drained until there was nothing but rags and dusty bones.

The Matriarch flung her leg, the remains effortlessly flying through the air and falling with a thud and a gentle dust cloud.

Iva breathed again, her hand on her pounding chest. She turned her attention back to the Matriarch, relieved to hear that they weren't planning on killing her… yet. But Iva remained tense when she mentioned her magic abilities. She frowned, how did they find out? She thought she was careful enough, hidden enough. But if the Prince says he can improve her powers then perhaps this is an opportunity she can't pass.

It's like the Matriarch says, who knows what could happen?

Reactions: Lurcolm
@Karo

"Of course. You're officially a citizen of the Border City, by virtue of need but all the same. The bedroom is at the back. It's not much, but should be sufficient for someone like you." Konrad stated, giving a small smile to her "While I will try to avoid it, I might put in a few beds and have you share with someone else, but so far it's not needed. I just want you to be prepared for it in case it happens."

He gave a small nod, before whistling a few specific notes, and one specific direhound walked up to him, growling and whimpering in something that could maybe, possibly, be considered a crude language.

"This here is Gretchin. She's easy going and will feed herself. And despite her insistence, you don't need to give her bones. Even if she growls and barks, she is under specific orders not to harm you. She will be your guardian. Now important question: Can you read and write?"

~~~~~

"There you go. Getting all wrapped up in the Prince's charm! I can see it you know. The Prince is well, a Prince! Quite handsome, though I don't think you'll see his face. It's all part of that mystique he's so damn whiny about."

The Matriarch made a face, clearly exasperated by whatever implication her words meant, and not caring to explain anything to the complete stranger. Nonetheless, she scurried in her blinding speed for some twenty minutes, arriving at an almost nondescript camp less than a dozen or so people. Tents were set up, and a cowering bundle of other people much like Iva ate bone bread in silence as three figures conversed. Five others outside of Iva.

The Prince, the Bullwark and Cleolind (Also called the Mongrel cuz they can't help themselves but be dramatic) sat in a small circle. The Bullwark stood tall over both the Prince and Cleolind. The monster's head turned to stare at Iva and the Matriarch, and Iva could feel the eyes of the massive beast look at her specifically. The Prince tried to look mysteriously imposing, but with such a stranglehold he had to maintain on Cleolind, she would know he was admiring the mountains in the far distance, pondering as he always does.

Cleolind's summoning was accentuated with a massive leather collar the Prince forced around her neck himself. A physical reminder of her place as the events would undoubtedly escelate into more stressful situations and he needed her to remember what hand feeds her and what hand strikes her as well.

As Iva arrived, the Prince stood up, his unnatural face looking at her, before nodding

"Very well. Our testing can begin. Get off the Matriarch and grab yourself some food. Have you recently been fed upon?"

@ImaginationGoneWild

@Lesbingus

• Love
I will make garland of his entrails.

Cleolind was not the sort of woman who cared for appearances. Her dishevelled, wretched appearance made that evident to any who gazed upon her. She did not care for what others thought of her, either. But, what she did still possess was her pride.

A pride that chafed under the Prince's eye. A pride that screamed its outrage at the binding around her throat.

The Prince was no stranger to her eyes upon his back, striking him like daggers. Their relationship was tenuous at the best of times, and these were far from the best of times. There were several bloody furrows in the clammy, nigh-translucent flesh of her neck, where her sharp, almost talon-like fingers had dug in when the collar had first been secured to her. She had spat her usual venoms, gnashed her teeth and curled her clawed hands until her palms ran bloody. But they had danced this number many times, and she had long since learned her lesson. Words were the best she had.

Actions brought agony.

Cleolind had calmed since. She always did. Her rage burned hot, and it burned quick. As The Prince stood, so too did Cleolind. She rose from her haunches, her red-on-amber eyes piercing Iva. It was the same look a butcher would favour a fine cut of veal with, there was no interpersonal recognition there. Cleolind ran her tongue over her teeth, each filed to a serrated, dagger-tip.

When she spoke, her ragged voice came rough. It was a deeply unpleasant voice, each syllable pointed, every word deliberately chosen.

"Doesn't look like it was. It smells too fresh for a feeder."

• Love
Anira felt like she could fall to the man's feet in gratitude. After many nights hungry and on the streets, the promise of food and a warm bed was enough to make tears of relief spring to her eyes.

Seeing the large, wolf-like hound approach her, Anira stiffened. But when Konrad explained that the animal would be her protector, she relaxed. Cautiously, she held out her hand for the hound to sniff. "Hello Gretchen," she said gently, patting her head. The dog let out a low bark, as though she were saying hello back.

Turning her attention back to Konrad, Anira pulled her shawl tighter around herself as a frigid wind blew past the two. "Yes, I can read and write. My mother made sure we all could."

@Lurcolm

• Love
Iva wrapped her arms around herself as she looked back and forth between the Matriarch and their environment. Wishing they were actually moving instead of just standing there. Nonetheless she remained patient, listening to the Matriarch. The way she spoke of the Prince almost made him seem like a drama queen. It kind of reminded her of Master Yongrui, just as much a fan of theatrics.

Maybe it's a vampire thing? Has Yongrui ever met the Prince? There was the tiniest of sparks in her weary soul knowing that perhaps she will get to meet the Prince before Yongrui did. Hah!

She jolted forward when the Matriarch scurried away, onwards to a mysterious destination.

It wasn't long before they approached a campsite. It had a handful of crudely made tents that housed a dozen or so of unfamiliar faces. Iva guessed they must've come from all corners of Lescatia. Now huddled together seeking warmth and bonebread. Aren't they afraid of the undead? This campsite is so… uncomfortably exposed.

Upon seeing 'the circle' she understood the lack of safety concerns. The tall, dark knight stared at her with such intensity she could almost feel it in her soul, she didn't dare move. And the woman, that poor woman Iva would say if it were human. But the more she stared at the Mongrel the more her stomach began to turn. Iva felt dizzy with emotion; Should she stay? Or should she flee?

When the prince spoke she carefully slid down the back of the Matriarch, noticing the tension between the Mongrel and the Prince. So even vampires feared one another

She stood to attention when they approached her, and when the Prince asked if she was fed upon. Briefly her hands made a jerky move but forced them back down. Iva shakes her head, "I have not." She took the bread offered to her by the other peasants.

"Very good. It's not something you can exactly expect from the commonfolk, even bakers, but all the same it will make my life easier. I'll provide you with charcoal and parchment. If you want to send me a message, tell Gretchin. She'll get you a messenger dog for you to send me one... On that note, you should also report if you see.... spiders of concerning size in your house, watching you. It doesn't mean you're in danger, it's just that a lot of eyes are watching the Border City, and I'd appreciate knowing where those eyes are looking at at any given day."

"I would like to familiarise you further, but I must be off. Big changes throughout the city, all that. I'll have one of the messengers send you a treatise on our standardised baking practices approved by the guilds. Adding less flour is illegal, adding more is generous but unwise to turn a profit. Are we clear?"

~~~~~

"Don't be afraid, little thing." The Matriarch started, dramatically patting Iva's head like she was a pet, or a wild doe they found wounded and took her in out of pity "This is good! Very good actually! A dozen people!"

"Eleven." The Prince corrected, gesturing her to fall into the huddled cowering bundle of commonfolk. Clearing his throat dramatically, he waited for the Matriarch to go to her side, giving Cleolind a wink and the Bulwark a should check as she walked past. The Bulwark didn't even think she was worth a retort.

"Peasants. Subjects. I'm sure you have guessed, but many have guessed wrong in the past. I am the Prince. I own you, I own the lands you live upon, and I plan on remaining its owner until everything returns to dust and ash. For that, I need you eleven."

Marching from one corner of the ramshackle camp, he stared into the soul of each of the commoners. He did it one by one, and each looked severely distressed during and after. They tensed up first like being caught in the jaws of a monster, before sagging down in cold sweat.

The sixth one cried tears of blood, vomiting blood as his entire body suddenly and dramatically dessicated into a husk, the blood flowing like a river into a grotesque orb going into the air.

The 7th survived, and the 8th. The 9th died the same way, as did the 10th.

Try as they might though. No one could run. It was as if imaginary shackles planted them where they stood.

When his eyes eventually reached Iva, she could feel that the feeling wasn't metaphorical. it was like the Prince had ripped her open with those eyes, inspecting the innards of her soul with the casual nature of a butcher inspecting a carcass. Slightly glazed, the eyes finally focused in on Iva for a moment, and she heard his voice in his head.

"You will do."

And just as suddenly, it was gone as well. The prince nodding to each of them.

"Eight. You are a strong stock. This is good. The reason you are all here, is because you were brave and, more likely, foolish enough to practice magic of some sort, imagining that my eyes do not see all that happens in my realm. I've plucked all of you from my lands, and I would like to congratulate you for surviving your first test. Those of you not dead have natures I find agreeable, and I already have favoured candidates. You are now drafted into the Lescatian army as warmages. Congratulations. Any of you who disappoint me, I'll feed to the Mongrel."

• Love
Anira felt a shiver go up her back at the mention of large spiders in her new home. She detested the creatures. The littles ones were mere nuisances but the big ones terrified her.

"Okay," she nodded, swallowing her discomfort. "I will keep you informed."

She listened to the rest of Konrad's rules intently. "Understood," she confirmed, before bowing her head in a sign of appreciation. "Thank you for this opportunity. I promise to work hard."

The gratitude Anira felt was immense. Only an hour ago she was homeless but now, she had a home to call her own and a job. Determined to assimilate into the Border Town society as seamlessly as possible, she made a pledge to herself: she would work hard to build a life in this new city, no matter how difficult it may be.

@Lurcolm

• Love
Iva fell in line with the piece of bread in her hands. She tucked her auburn locks behind her ears as she glanced at the others, all as scared as she was. She broke off a few pieces of bread and stuffed them in her dress pocket and ate the rest, quickly chewing as the Prince held his speech.

-"...I am the Prince…"

People gasped and whispered when the cloaked figure revealed his identity. Some bowed their heads, avoiding eye contact while others couldn't help but be guided by their curiosity.

Iva was a bit of both; curious but shy. When the Matriarch said he was handsome she thought he would be a horrible thing that -she- would like. Not this angelic eldritch thing. It reminded her of the conversations she had with Yongrui…

After a feeding Yongrui had moments where he would be kind to her, almost caring. A good time to sate her curiosity about vampires and ask questions. Like 'Why are all vampires so beautiful'? Why is it that their beauty seems to peak upon death.

Yongrui was sitting on the window sill when he turned to her and sighed; "Because whoever created us didn't think that increased strength, speed, and senses was enough to hunt down mortal men. They made us beautiful to prey upon their women. And they made us ageless to hunt down their children." He looked at her seriously. Then grinned, "And I get to do it again and again."

Iva shook her head and tried to pay attention again. She leaned over, curious as to what the Prince was exactly looking for when inspecting them. The closer he came the harder she breathed. She fell back in line, took a deep breath and briefly closed her eyes. When she opened them again he stood before her.

Something indescribable was happening to her. Iva gripped her arm so hard, digging her nails into it to keep herself from falling apart. Tears streamed down her cheeks. Her body was straining so much the veins began to bulge until it all ended with a voice.

-"You will do."

Her knees buckled, sinking her to the ground. Her heart was pounding like never before. Not even with Yongrui.

She looked up with teary eyes but kept a brave face when the prince complimented her. As he continued his speech she got back up, steading herself. Upon hearing that they were all caught performing magical feats she lowered her head, chastising for not being careful enough.

Iva looked up when learning that this was merely the first test.

The peasants exchanged glances at each other. The new warmages of Lescatia.

• Love
Reactions: Gladis
Cleolind watched the proceedings in silence. Her hungry eyes tracking every one of the human mages arrayed before The Prince. These... Warmages, were interesting creatures. They had possessed the gall to go against the word of Lescatia's ruler.

There was something almost admirable in that.

The Mongrel stalked the line just behind The Prince. Observing each of them in turn. Her eyes were... disconcerting. There wasn't a single bit of humanity left. Blood-red sclera and amber irises that reflected and caught the light, like some predator in the dark. Her gaze bore right through its subject-- flensing skin from muscle, muscle from bone. Dissecting, observing, like a butcher before the slaughter.

Her sharpened teeth glistened as her lips curled into a predatory smile.

"Any of you who disappoint me, I'll feed to the Mongrel."

Snapping her teeth at the nearest mage, who recoiled sharply, Cleolind cackled. She circled the group like a stalking hunter, never ceasing, never resting. There was a freneticism to her. She simply couldn't not be on the move. A soul-deep restlessness. She twitched and shivered periodically, spasms causing her lips to curl in a snarl, her fingers to clench into wicked claw-shapes. Raising one hand to her pale neck, she scratched irritably, drawing a line of blood down the parchment-thin flesh.

"These ones are braver than most. I do so enjoy the taste of mageflesh... So don't be afraid to slip up."

The life of the simple peasant girl that had shared a bed with her siblings and spent her days tending to the animals and toiling away in the fields seemed but a distant dream to Emilia where she lounged, contently stretched out on a plush, red chaise in the middle of her softly lit reading room. She was the very image of tranquility, her hair falling in loose curls around her shoulders as delicate fingers lazily leafed through the pages of the large, leatherbound book laid out before her. Her cheeks, normally as pale as bone, bore just the faintest hint of a rosy hue — an indication, perhaps, that she had fed quite recently. And indeed, judging by the countless bite marks on the neck of the young man seated below her on the carpeted floor, head lolling almost lifelessly against the upholstery, that seemed to have very much been the case. Though, if death had claimed him, it must have been amidst a state of blissful unawareness, for his features were devoid of struggle or anguish.

The peaceful silence was only occasionally disrupted by a crackle of the fire in the stove, or the turning of a page. A faint smile tugged at the corners of Emilia's lips as she reached down to gently trace her fingers through the young man's auburn locks, though her crimson eyes never left the neatly penned pages of the book. That was, until the door to the parlor creaked open, and she found herself glancing up at the familiar face of her loyal servant, Alaric. Amongst all of the people that currently served at her estate, he was by far the oldest, and the only member on her husband's former staff that had chosen to accompany her to the Border City. Yet despite his age, he held himself with the grace and poise of a man who felt comfortable in his role, and when he spoke, though the words were formal, there was a certain note of warmth to his voice.

"Madame," he said, leaning forward in a respectful bow, "It appears Thorne has returned with the item you requested."

Emilia shot up, her entire face brightening with a joy that seemed so very unlike her usually composed self that it would have caught most people off guard. It was almost as if, for just the briefest of moments, one could catch a glimpse of the girl she had once been. Then Alaric cleared his throat, and Emilia quickly gathered herself. She had a reputation to uphold, after all.

"Please, show him in." She instructed calmly, before leaning down to softly murmur something into the young man's ear. The youth stirred and blinked, as if trying to shake himself from a trance. Then he slowly rose to his feet. His movements were slow and sluggish, undoubtedly affected by the recent loss of blood, and he fumbled rather clumsily with the buttons of his open shirt. Once he had finally managed to dress himself, he started making his way towards the door, only to be stopped in his tracks by Emilia's voice as it rang out across the parlor, soft and clear.

"Tonino… aren't you forgetting something?" She gestured towards an elegant side table, upon which a small bag of coins had been placed.

His cheeks flushed with embarrassment.

"O-of course, my lady." He flustered, hastily collecting the money before scurrying past the visitor that had just entered, and out the door.

Emilia smiled as she shifted her attention to Kanaan.

"That was quick." She mused, rising from the chaise. Normally she would have taken the time to put up her hair and perhaps change into something a little more formal than the simple black day dress she liked to wear during her leisure time, but the thought of having to wait any longer to get her hands on that manuscript… it felt almost unbearable. "It has what, barely been a couple of days and you are here already? I figured it would take you at least a week to find the man, and who knows how much longer it might have taken to convince him to sell it... Your efficacy seems to know no bounds, Heartpiercer."

She nodded towards the large, wooden table near one of the bookshelves, crimson eyes glittering with anticipation.

"Well then, show me what you've got."

@Taka

Last edited:
  • Love
The sound of metal on hard wood rang through the air as Kanaan slapped two silvers down onto the bar's surface and stood, taking one last appreciative sip from a newly filled travel flask and turning for the door as he slipped it under his leather armor and lifted his spear from its resting place next to a coatrack. The hat that fell from its tip once he took said spear might have irked him, but he was in a good mood.

The item he'd been sent to collect was damned easy to get his hands on and he'd just found his new favorite drink. Sure it had cost him the last of the coins he'd been given to haggle with that old refugee with, but truth be told he didn't think the Lady Emilia had ever expected to see the money again anyways. It was for a good cause, his flask now held a local bloodwine—which is exactly what it sounds like—with a certain sweetness that Kanaan found just delightful.

Enough dallying though, time for a report.

———————————————

The heavy doors of the estate gave way to his hands easily, with only minimal complaint from the iron hinges. Kanaan slipped inside, greeting Alaric with a nod and a gesture toward the rectangular burlap-covered package strapped to his belt via a leather cord. Without a word Alaric led the was through halls and up stairs to the Lady's reading room, where Kanaan was told to wait outside for a moment. When he did enter, he nearly collided with a very clumsy young man, murmuring a somewhat slurred apology. He was carrying a small coin pouch, which even now Kanaan still found odd. Emilia was the first he'd met to pay her feeders. Most were content just to be cared for and protected in the ever-so-forgiving Lescatia.

"Do that every time you feed, and even your purse will run dry." The casual remark rolled off Kanaan's tongue just as the first of her words reached his ears, earning a look as he tried to puzzle out whether she was playing or not.

"A week. Gods, you've no faith in me at all do you?" He caught her meaningful look at the large table and instead simply sat right down on its surface as he produced the prize Emilia so sought after. When he sat it down next to him, right in front of her, he thought she might drool. Kanaan kept in a snicker as he spoke, slowly undoing the book's wrappings and taking dreadfully long to do so, just to tease her. When he decided he'd had enough fun at her expense, Kanaan removed the last of the burlap sheet for Emilia to see the book in all its slightly-weathered glory.

"Truth be told, the old man almost begged me to take it once I told him you had a proper library and would protect it from the moths. The coin didn't hurt either." And with that, he produced his flask once more and took a long, deep drink of the crimson liquid Emilia had so graciously bought for him, whether she knew it or not and eyed the girl for a reaction. During his time in her service, Kanaan had grown fond of the little, harmless things he could do just to fuck with her.

"Well… what can I say? I like to dote on my favorite pets."

Emilia knew full well that her methods were unconventional, and not a seldom speculated about subject amongst the vampire nobility. Most attributed the softness in her heart to her youth. Having lived only for a little more than a century, it was perhaps not unsurprising that she should retain some semblance of humanity. In time, they were certain, it would fade. Others argued that it was a sense of guilt that motivated her actions. The atrocities she had committed alongside her husband were still being whispered of amongst the people of Nightreach to this day, and though they were not by any means unusual for her kind, they would certainly have had an effect on someone so young. While both of those explanations seemed plausible, her primary reason was honestly much simpler.

There was something about forcing herself on another that soured the taste for her.

Perhaps it was the fear hormones being released into the bloodstream. Perhaps it was the distant memories of herself once having been on the receiving end of such treatment. Whatever the reason, she preferred the sweetness of blood freely given.

"Besides, the boy has mouths to feed. I trust the money will be well spent."

Amusement tugged at the corners of Emilia's lips at Kanaan's comment in response to her sarcasm, though her eyes followed the parcel in his hands with the greed of a cat perched in front of a bird cage. So close, yet still so far out of her reach.

Impatience did not suit a lady of her stature, but in moments like these, it proved challenging to suppress. Even so she straightened herself, maintaining a graceful posture as Kanaan began to unveil the contents of the burlap wrapping at such a slow pace that was almost painful. In fact, it felt like pure torment, and though she tried her best to maintain a neutral face, her eyebrows knitted into just the tiniest of frowns, fingers drumming impatiently at her side. Then Kanaan finally removed the last sheet, and for a brief moment, it almost looked like she wanted to pounce on the book. She did not. Instead she calmly picked up a pair of fine silk gloves, slipping them onto her hands.

"Did he now?" She mused somewhat dryly, though her eyes were bright with excitement as she almost reverently slid her hand over the cover. It was weathered, and a little singed in some places, but considering everything it had been through it was honestly surprising it hadn't suffered worse. "Well, I suppose the one time I met him, Thaddeus did strike me as a man of reason."

Very gently she lifted the cover, and if her heart had still been beating, it might have fluttered at the sight of the signature scrawled onto the bottom of the yellowed page. This wasn't just a copy, but seemed to be an original manuscript penned by none other than the playwright Eladian himself. The moment that realization struck her, it was as if every last bit of frustration simply seeped out of her.

"The Bard's Lament…" She said softly, "Eladian spoke of it in his letters, but I never did get the opportunity to see it before he passed away. Thank you, Kanaan. This is wonderful." There was genuine appreciation in her voice as she spoke, glancing up to meet the soldier's gaze. "How would you like to be rewarded?"

@Taka

Last edited:
  • Love
The Prince's hand raised up. Fingers splayed out. The collar around Cleolind tightened a bit, a parlour trick to remind the Mongrel who held the leash as he turned towards the cannibalistic vampiress

"Enough. Fear is useful, but too much is unproductive. Hope is needed as well." The Prince stated, gesturing to them. There was a moment as he thought of a response, a statement that would sink in to his new pawns, before he stepped across the length of the line. His eyes didn't meet them anymore. They were studied. He didn't need to focus that much on his pieces.

"War mages have not been employed in... an irrelevant amount of time. There are many steps involved in the process, one of which beingfreedom. You willbe paid, given a home, and the best of you will be Embraced should you prove your worth and, more importantly, are willing. This is the most political power you'll ever have, most likely, so do not squander it. Turn against me, and I will destroy you. Disappoint me, I'll feed you to Mongrel, then destroy you. Try to escape with the secrets I will teach you, and I will hunt you down as a matter of pride and skewer your still-living body against my castle wall, or employ you as one of my agents. Whichever brings you more horror."

The Matriarch giggled.

"That, however, is enough of the stick. Bulwark, Matriarch, Mongrel, escort these mages to my castle. I'm dusting off the old academy as we speak."

~~~~~

Antrus was out hunting. The scent of lycans were in the air, but that didn't bother Konrad at the moment.

What bothered him was his Emilia insisting on maintaining her humanity at the most inconsistent of times.

As he marched through her home, peasants shouted in alarm and asked to be patient, but who would really go against him? Konrad hated it, but the fear of vampires had an iron grip on the hearts of those that admire him, too. He managed to barge into Emilia's study unmolested, a small group of servants half-running after him to try and help him. Emilia's followers were loyal. The "king" of the Border City would be stupid to not see that. Terrified as they were of vampires, they still wanted to protect her.

Luckily for them, Konrad and Emilia got along pretty well in his eyes. The two bonded in their altruism. While Konrad knew snippets of her past, he was too old for her to know his, and he never spoke about his past unless he was drunk on blood wine, and even then very little.

"Emilia. There you are. Finally found that book, I see? Good, you can focus on the City fully now." He started, running a hand through his hair as he spoke "Murders have risen threefold. I predict it's going to increase another threefold in the interim."

He inclined his head to Kanaan for a moment "Always a pleasure, Kanaan. You can stay if you like, but mainly we're going to discuss how to keep the human guilds in check while using as little menace as possible. We can't afford to push these people more than they're pushing themselves

• Love
@Lurcolm @Taka

At the sound of the door to her study being pushed open, Emilia raised her gaze to glance at her visitor. She was not at all surprised to find that it was none other than the lord of the city himself. After all, he was the only person who could so easily get away with entering her home unannounced. Aside, of course, from the prince and his closest lackey's themselves, though such a visit seemed unlikely.

"Is that so?"

A slight frown creased her forehead as she gingerly closed the book, turning her attention fully to the vampire lord. The news Kondrad brought her were troubling, but hardly surprising. With the sudden influx of refugees, conflicts were sure to abound. Those that struggled to have their base needs met would be pushed to increasingly desperate means, and even in cases where they were not responsible for a crime committed, their mere presence alone was likely to earn the mistrust of the established citizenry. Eventually some might decide to take matters into their own hands, and before long, the whole situation would risk spiraling out of control.

"That is troubling indeed. I am going to assume that this is not unrelated to the city's other challenges…"

Emilia trailed off, appearing to ponder the matter for a moment. If the murders were indeed the result of rising tensions between various factions, their best bet would be to find ways to defuse the situation. This was easier said than done. Humans tend to naturally sort themselves into in and out groups, and when someone is wronged, it is always easier to shift blame onto the outgroup. One way to circumvent that is to foster a broader sense of unity amongst various communities, but this takes time, and was as such hardly a solution in the short term. More forceful methods of suppression could keep things steady for a while, but as Konrad had suggested, if they pushed the people too hard that could end up backfiring. Especially since many of them were already struggling. Better in that case to address the actual root of the problem, though this too, was easier said than done. After all, flooding the target of an invasion with refugees was a common siege tactic. Unless they somehow managed to push back the horse warriors, people would keep coming, compromising the tenuous stability of the city. That in turn posed a conundrum for its leadership. If they attempted to close the city gates on them, aside from being inhumane, it may result in riots. And yet there were only so many mouths the city could afford to feed before its resources were stretched too thin to be functional. At that point, the scenario Konrad had presented seemed almost optimistic.

Emilia pinched the bridge of her nose and sighed.

"Do we know where these murders are the most prevalent? If we can concentrate our efforts on the worst offenders, we may yet be able to salvage the situation."