Interracial Dating

Status
Not open for further replies.
I personally would not mind an interracial child. I have never seen an "ugly" one so not sure what that's all about? Is it like the ginger effect where they're weird looking until they're matured?

Like have you not seen "blackanese?" Gorgeous! Using a singer as an example.

aiko.jpg

Also i think this "having a sick" kid is kind of a cop out. You ALWAYS risk having a sick kid regardless of races mixing or not. That kid can die in the womb, have cancer, be disabled, born missing limbs, be autistic, born attached to a twin or something, have asthma, etc. Many things can happen to a child in the womb or after. That's just how it is now omo.

And being afraid of how people feel or think if you have a mixed child is how you kerp racism alive. <_<

As a man who has exclusively Western European ancestry as far as I know, I can confirm shitty and life altering medical conditions can even happen to wonderbread, so freaking out about the what ifs of a mixed racial baby's medical condition should really be a neglegable concern. Humans in general are notoriously prone to awful sickness, and unless you know for a fact you or your family has a history of a really shitty illness you don't want to pass on because of how awful it has been to cope with, go forth and fuck out a tiny screaming sociopath if that's what you want.

For one, I'm not saying me. I didn't get pregnant thinking "Well gee, my husband is white. I'm white. So that narrows down my baby's chances of getting....." I am saying that there ARE people out there who are concerned with diseases and illnesses, and it's not reliant on just race.
Even if you specifically weren't thinking that way, my point was that the argument has come up that one should avoid procreating with other races because of the genetic disorders they're likely to have -- and that argument is stupid, because if you're really concerned about genetic disorders, then you should be looking at way more things than race.

And if you are looking at way more things than race then that's one thing. But if you're ignoring a lot of those other things and just using race as your primary concern, despite the fact that, as Gwazi brought up, your kids might actually have better odds of not inheriting anything weird if you open yourself up to more genetic diversity? Yeah, that's my concern.

You can't take offense for someone's reproductive choices. If someone wants their child to be the same race as them, that is their personal choice, and no one has the right to judge them for it. You're not going to be taking care of that child, they are, and if they think that it'll be better to have a baby that is one race, than that's entirely their choice. Telling people they're wrong because they feel that was it just play ignorant. People who feel that way have their reasons, and you don't know enough about their story to really judge them. I for one wouldn't have had a mixed baby because 1.) The area I lived in would have made it difficult for them to be accepted. 2.) My family would not have accepted them, and while you may fel that isn't important, try raising a baby alone without any family support.
You're right that, if I don't know someone's reasons for not wanting a mixed-race child, then that's one thing. As for your specific situation, I totally agree that you had a valid reason to make the decision you did. There's still a bit of room for a moral debate, though -- as Mid said, it sort of perpetuates the kind of racism you're trying to avoid -- but, yeah, it's not exactly something where I can assume you're a racist shitlord just because of that choice. I agree, you had good reasons.

But if the reason why someone doesn't want a mixed-race child isn't because of the same sort of concerns that you had -- if someone explicitly states that their only reasoning is just that they want their kids to look like them and that they don't want their own precious genetic line to be corrupted by anything less than their own pure race -- then that is something I can call out as stupid. And if someone is being a racist shitlord then, yes, I can judge them for it. I can't force anyone to procreate outside their own race if they don't want to -- and I certainly wouldn't want to shame anyone about it if they had a good reason -- but if a person can't provide any good reasoning for their decision other than straight-up racist comments, then, yes, I can at least judge them for it. Just like I can judge someone for being a racist asshole in any context. Or a sexist asshole. Or a homophobic asshole. Or any sort of asshole, really.

The question is whether or not you really understand someone's situation well enough to really say that they're just an asshole, which I admit is a bit more complicated. But, if someone's only answer for not wanting mixed-race kids is just "I just want my kids to be white/black/whatever my own race is"? With no other reasoning attached to it? Then, yeah, I can call that argument out on being kind of racist.

I was in a long term relationship with a black guy, and there was a lot of things that turned me off of the idea of having a child with him, and race did play a part in it, but it was my race. Seeing how his friends and family treated me and listening to all the 'The white girl this....' and 'The white princess....' that, I would have never brought a kid into that. My ex's uncle was married to a white woman, and his kids were the outcasts of the family. They were teased and ridiculed at every single family get together, and always considered beneath the other kids who were black. No one wants to see their kids subjected to that. Now if my ex's family had been more accepting, and he and I had gotten to the point where children could be considered, than I might have thought about it. but I still wouldn't have gone through with it because of the reasons I stated earlier. My family would not have been accepting, and whether people like it or not, I do have a close relationship with most of my family and I would not want to ruin that. Plus, living in a predominantly white community, I knew that they would have had an extremely difficult time with acceptance.
Once again, I totally understand your reasoning. I'm not trying to condemn the idea of not wanting a kid to be born into a bad family situation -- and a bad family situation could exist for a number of reasons besides race, mind you. I just don't like the idea of "well, I'm white, so I just want my kids to be white" -- despite the fact that it's totally plausible that you could find a black person whom you really connect with and whose family is totally accepting of you. (Er, not that I'm trying to say 'you' as in you specifically here -- more of a hypothetical 'you'.)

But, going back to your specific situation -- if this black person's family treated you well, would you still have any reason to not want to have kids with him? Based on your reasoning so far, I'm going to say, probably not. And that's good. Congrats: you aren't at all the type of person I was referring to with my comment, because you actually had a valid reason for not wanting to bring a mixed-race kid into the world -- as opposed to a dumb reason like "well, I just want them to be white", or the genetics argument, which, as stated by myself and Gwazi, has a number of flaws to it.

However, this next thing is what I really have problems with:
Everyone is also overlooking the fact that in spite of the fact we've evolved past the point of cavemen, humans are still instinctual creatures. We are attracted to the people who we believe will give us the strongest offspring (At least if you believe in Darwinism and all that jazz.) If a person is against the idea of having an interracial baby, it could be that their instincts simply do not deem a mixed child as the strongest possible offspring. You can't argue with the programming inside your mind. You can try, but in the end it's going to win out.
Because human instinct is absolutely shit at dealing with today's world. Our prehistoric ancestors lived in a completely different world than we do, and the traits that helped them survive can actively work against us today. We have a vastly different set of needs and circumstances than they did, and evolution hasn't had any time to catch up. The fight-or-flight response that helped our ancestors escape predators is how helping us become overly stressed during something as non-life-threatening as, say, a math test -- giving us unhealthy levels of stress, and actually making us more likely to die sooner than someone who isn't so easily-stressed. Justifying an action just because it's instinct is absolutely ridiculous when you consider the vast number of ways in which evolution-approved thinking goes awry in today's world.

For example, say that some prehistoric humans observe an animal eating some berries, and then the animal shortly thereafter dies. It's easy to see why the humans that thought "that animal ate those berries, and then died, so the berries must be poisonous!" were more likely to survive and pass on their genes. The problem is, the same reasoning, when used in today's world, yields results such as "this person played video games, and then killed a bunch of people, so the video games must be the cause!" or "this child was vaccinated, and then diagnosed with autism, so the vaccines must cause autism!". The ability to notice connections helped our ancestors survive, but our world is more complicated than that. In fact, there's a chance that those particular berries weren't poisonous, and that the animal died for some other reason. It's even possible that those berries could've had some impressive health benefits that the early humans never would've noticed! But, it's definitely easy to see why assuming a connection would be safer than saying "well we don't really know for sure, and correlation isn't causation" before stuffing your mouth full of berries. Today, though? Assuming a connection results in people boycotting vaccines just because of some inconclusive correlation, thus causing more people to die due to diseases that were previously nearly eradicated... yay...

Oh, and evolution didn't just wire our brains to think in terms of logical fallacies. It can also be attributed to, well, pretty much all cases of racism, and stereotyping in general! Our brains don't like uncertainty. We like to know what to expect when we meet someone new. So if prehistoric man sees someone from an enemy tribe, they're more likely to assume that person is unfriendly. This is even more true when someone sees even just one or two instances of a member of that other group acting hostile towards one of their own group members -- even if those incidents were just outliers, and fights happen more often within their own tribe than with people outside of it. Back then, it helped us survive, because those other groups could very well be threats -- but today, it just creates unneeded separation between us. We know better -- we don't have any need to be racist anymore.

Also, let us not forget that a certain political figure (perhaps soon to be two political figures, unfortunately) once decided that the best thing to do for his own race was to purge his country of all the undesirable races -- so that the pure race, the best race would thrive.

^ I realize that this is a bit of an extreme example. But, the point remains, that line of thought was fueled by the same instinct that encourages people to breed with their own race only because they are your own race, and you want what's best for your own bloodline.

And, "you can't argue with the programming inside your mind"? Nonsense. Yes, our instincts can skew our thinking sometimes -- but, if we're aware of our brains doing this, then we can combat it. Your brain might jump at the chance to point out a connection between two things, but you can stop and say "no, wait, we don't know that there's a connection -- correlation is not causation". And you can observe one member of a particular group acting a certain way, and notice your brain trying to assign that trait to all members of that group, and then you can stop and think "no, that's stereotyping. I know better. That one person doesn't represent the whole race". Hell, I catch myself thinking racist or sexist thoughts from time to time -- because, yes, those survival-based instincts can't be suppressed completely -- but then I can disregard the racist/sexist thoughts almost immediately, because my conscious mind knows better. And there's a big difference between simply having racist/sexist thoughts and actually acting on them, or allowing them to alter your thinking. Understanding that we have certain thoughts because of evolution doesn't give us an excuse to act on them. If anything, it makes it easier to disregard those thoughts -- knowing that the only reason you're more afraid of that black person walking by you on the street than you are of the white person walking by is because your brain has a very skewed idea of who or what is dangerous. Knowing that, it's easier to combat those thoughts -- so we don't allow ourselves, or society as a whole, to be controlled by them.

So, not only is it possible to fight back against our programmed minds -- but, given the things that our survival instincts are telling us? I'd say we should learn to resist them. At least when they're telling us things that we consciously know are wrong/irrational, anyway. @_@

If we as a species were incapable of fighting against our instincts in favour of reasoning and logic, we would have never advanced to the point we'd be having these kinds of conversations over glowly screens connected by wireless signals and ocean spanning cables that connect us to people across the globe. The fact we can look at something objectively and tell our base instincts to get fucked makes us what we are.

Depends on the culture I guess. I've dated numerous Asian girls and there's never been any cultural issues, just lack of chemistry to take it further. Either that or it has just generally been that we're at different stages in life where our commitments to what we do would stand in the way of being able to see more of each other. Admittedly, there are some women of certain cultural backgrounds I would prefer not to date because I think there would be compatibility issues, but I wouldn't ask them out so i'm not wasting their time or giving them false signals.

It's sad that this is still a matter of debate around the world. But then, it depends where you are. I've never personally been in an interracial relationship, but three of my friends (all white) married out of their race, and so far they're happy. I myself am open to dating outside my race; in fact, I wouldn't mind dating a white guy. The only problem is, I hear so much negative feedback when it comes black women in general that I've kinda lost my confidence (since it seems like not too many non-black men find black women attractive *sob*). But I would get why someone wouldn't want to go down that road. Believe it or not, there is still so much stigmatism surrounding interracial couples. But then, some places are better than others. I know for a fact that Minneapolis doesn't give a crap about that. I stayed there for a few days, and was amazed at how many black-white, black-hispanic, hispanic-white,etc., couples I saw.

I'd normally be shocked that such a conversation like this even still needs to happen...

But when that one thread popped up a month ago, the one where people were legitimately asking "What's it like to meet a Black Person?".

Yea, after that none of this shit surprised me any more.

I'd normally be shocked that such a conversation like this even still needs to happen...

But when that one thread popped up a month ago, the one where people were legitimately asking "What's it like to meet a Black Person?".

Well, to be fair, the architect of that particular thread was a walking, breathing racist cartoon come to life.

• Nice Execution!
Reactions: Kagayours
Well, to be fair, the architect of that particular thread was a walking, breathing racist cartoon come to life.
Well yea...

But it still happened.

Well yea...

But it still happened.

Indeed. And if said cartoon were still around, this thread would have been a shitstorm by page 2. At least people now are capable of having a serious discussion with opposing viewpoints in a civil and respectful manner. It's refreshing to see a topic like this actually avoid getting locked because of pervasive shittiness.

Reactions: Gwazi Magnum
At least people now are capable of having a serious discussion with opposing viewpoints in a civil and respectful manner. It's refreshing to see a topic like this actually avoid getting locked because of pervasive shittiness.
It is a refreshing change that serious conversations can actually still happen, without someone ego stroking themselves, or someone else trying to knock down a certain group of people.

Reactions: Kagayours

For reasons Dervish mentioned, I actually found that other thread a lot less surprising by comparison.

Shocking things sound more shocking coming from the mouths of the relatively sane, as opposed to the mouths of... well, you know.

For example, if the average politician were to pick a fight with the Pope, going so far as to say something like "Well when ISIS attacks the Vatican, you'll regret not hoping and praying that I could've prevented it", then I'd be kind of shocked, because that's insanely shitty and way out of line, even for a politician. But when Donald Trump does it, suddenly it's not at all surprising. You just sort of sigh and say "Welp, there he goes again". I feel like GC works in much the same way. XD

The only problem is, I hear so much negative feedback when it comes black women in general that I've kinda lost my confidence (since it seems like not too many non-black men find black women attractive *sob*).
I hardly ever see this honestly and if I did, it's usually because they're criticizing the woman's personality which in this case it isn't negative feedback but constructive criticism. So don't bother losing your confidence!

For reasons Dervish mentioned, I actually found that other thread a lot less surprising by comparison.

Shocking things sound more shocking coming from the mouths of the relatively sane, as opposed to the mouths of... well, you know.

For example, if the average politician were to pick a fight with the Pope, going so far as to say something like "Well when ISIS attacks the Vatican, you'll regret not hoping and praying that I could've prevented it", then I'd be kind of shocked, because that's insanely shitty and way out of line, even for a politician. But when Donald Trump does it, suddenly it's not at all surprising. You just sort of sigh and say "Welp, there he goes again". I feel like GC works in much the same way. XD
Hey, that hair has a mind of it's own.

That is true generally.
It's just that in that case specifically, it hit a new level of "I didn't know this was a still a thing... At least for those with Internet" sort of deal.
Like, someone saying "I barely meet X race because they aren't that around in my area" makes sense. I admit I'm more exposed than normal being in Canada.
But for someone over 20 to have not only never met a certain race, but be completely unsure how to talk to them as a result? That hit a whole now low.

I mean at least the bigot racists others here have shared horror stories about have at least met the other races before.

I hardly ever see this honestly and if I did, it's usually because they're criticizing the woman's personality which in this case it isn't negative feedback but constructive criticism. So don't bother losing your confidence!
Eh... I'm going to have to say it depends here.

Are they criticizing the personality as a whole, or are they being specific?

Cause if it's a specific trait (or specific set of traits, no matter how big), at least you know precisely what the issue is and can build on it.
It might hurt to hear (like all criticism is), but it's constructive none the less.

But if they simply say "I don't like you/you're personality" and leave it at that?
I would leave it more as harassment, or at the very least dickery.
Cause you just gave the person no means or avenue to improve or change if they wish. You simply told them they're not liked, and are guaranteed to continue to dislike them even more because they now have no idea what to do.
Which is a common issue I find with people (especially online). People are quick to point fingers and say "I don't like this person, they're an asshole". But they never specify, so now instead of potentially fixing anything all they've done is declared hostility, and effectively doomed it to keep going while also keeping the scape goat of "It's their fault for their personality" rather then "It's my fault for staying silent rather than trying to help".

Granted, it's more complicated than that.
Because even some specifics could be stupid ones.
But in the short version, it basically is often an issue of simply voicing dislike but not being willing to put the foot forward to resolve said dislike.

Eh... I'm going to have to say it depends here.

Are they criticizing the personality as a whole, or are they being specific?

Cause if it's a specific trait (or specific set of traits, no matter how big), at least you know precisely what the issue is and can build on it.
It might hurt to hear (like all criticism is), but it's constructive none the less.

But if they simply say "I don't like you/you're personality" and leave it at that?
I would leave it more as harassment, or at the very least dickery.
Cause you just gave the person no means or avenue to improve or change if they wish. You simply told them they're not liked, and are guaranteed to continue to dislike them even more because they now have no idea what to do.
Which is a common issue I find with people (especially online). People are quick to point fingers and say "I don't like this person, they're an asshole". But they never specify, so now instead of potentially fixing anything all they've done is declared hostility, and effectively doomed it to keep going while also keeping the scape goat of "It's their fault for their personality" rather then "It's my fault for staying silent rather than trying to help".

Granted, it's more complicated than that.
Because even some specifics could be stupid ones.
But in the short version, it basically is often an issue of simply voicing dislike but not being willing to put the foot forward to resolve said dislike.
Usually it's more specific like they may not like the woman's ways (like being too obnoxious, overbearing, or possessive).

I usually don't hear vague criticism like you're saying.

Usually it's more specific like they may not like the woman's ways (like being too obnoxious, overbearing, or possessive).

I usually don't hear vague criticism like you're saying.
Well yea, thankfully people are usually specific (to varying extents) about it.
It just felt like something to note, because sometimes people actually do just criticize the person as a whole and consider it enough.

Also in my experience, there's a lot of blanket statements directed towards black women. Like "black women are all so obnoxious" or "black women are all so ugly" or "black women are too loud and overbearing." Then it's not even directed at you as a person, but it's just an assumption that you'll act a certain way because of something you can't control. At least this is what I've heard from a lot of people in idle conversation.

Also in my experience, there's a lot of blanket statements directed towards black women. Like "black women are all so obnoxious" or "black women are all so ugly" or "black women are too loud and overbearing." Then it's not even directed at you as a person, but it's just an assumption that you'll act a certain way because of something you can't control. At least this is what I've heard from a lot of people in idle conversation.
That's called stereotyping which people do all the time even if they don't mean to. And sometimes it's from experience. It doesn't make it right but what'd you expect from humanity? That's basically like saying "All white people are passively racist" and so on. Also most stereotypes exist because there's some truth to them. Sad to say but it's true. I've seen black people make stereotypical comments towards other races ALL THE TIME so that doesn't faze me in the slightest honestly.

And while I'm sure there are some people who do believe these sorts of things whole-heartedly, it can also come in the form of more semi-conscious stereotyping, like what I was talking about before -- maybe you wouldn't consciously think/say "all people of X race act X way", but you might get certain vibes from people of that race without really thinking about it. And, unfortunately, not everyone thinks to catch those kinds of "vibes" or remind themselves that they're just basing them off of stereotypes. :/ (Slightly off-topic: but this sort of thinking isn't just exclusive to race. It happens all the time -- where things like your gender, accent, height, or even sometimes hair color can influence how people see you, even before they know the first real thing about you. Anyone can say that stereotyping is bad, but it takes a strong mind to catch these subtler things. I can't even say I'm immune. @_@ )

Status
Not open for further replies.