Interracial Dating

Status
Not open for further replies.
  • Nice Execution!
Reactions: Mid
Psst! *Whispers*

Apologies like this usually go two ways.
Way to make me feel like shit dude :(

@Opal

tumblr_inline_muoxasxiM21s9jeoi.gif

Way to make me feel like shit dude :(
Not the intention. ;A;

latest

We should just rename this thread 'Canada' at this point for all these apologies. XD

• Nice Execution!
Reactions: Minibit
Not sure what is being talked about here any more, but...

Had another "interracial date" with a new lady, Japanese. She was challenging in that she couldn't speak a sentence in English, and usually couldn't understand me if I spoke anything but my very limited Japanese. Though I feel we didn't really connect (the language barrier may have been a large part of it) it was fun, she was fun, and challenged me to learn more of the language.

And, having a smartphone is more important that you might realize... it was us typing things out and showing each other the translation that composed about 90% of our communication!

Not sure what is being talked about here any more, but...

Had another "interracial date" with a new lady, Japanese. She was challenging in that she couldn't speak a sentence in English, and usually couldn't understand me if I spoke anything but my very limited Japanese. Though I feel we didn't really connect (the language barrier may have been a large part of it) it was fun, she was fun, and challenged me to learn more of the language.

And, having a smartphone is more important that you might realize... it was us typing things out and showing each other the translation that composed about 90% of our communication!

Reminds me of when my college crush's cousin came to visit from Poland. She didn't speak a lick of English, but she was a lot of fun to hang out with and it was kind of neat working past the language barrier when we went out on the town, and her cousin can speak Polish as well, so at least someone could translate.

How exactly did you arrange a date if you guys don't speak the same language?

You know, on subject;

I have been dating a girl from Russia for the last 7 months. Pretty nice change-up compared to past relationships, she's much more stoic, more reserved, sarcastic, and could totally kick my ass. She's an exchange student right now, and has gotten offers to work in the US, so we'll see where it goes. I am starting to learn Russian partly due to her influences, and it's been a good ride so far.

Reminds me of when my college crush's cousin came to visit from Poland. She didn't speak a lick of English, but she was a lot of fun to hang out with and it was kind of neat working past the language barrier when we went out on the town, and her cousin can speak Polish as well, so at least someone could translate.

How exactly did you arrange a date if you guys don't speak the same language?

She's a friend of a friend... our common friend is someone I used to work with, I ran into both of them and hung out for a drink. I thought she was interesting enough... so with my friend's help I asked her out!

I hope it wasn't Google Translate XD Sorry I couldn't help it

Ah, I used bing translate. She used Line.

Reactions: Mari and Dervish
@Dervish Sooooooorry! :P

What is everyone's thoughts on interracial dating and have you seen any positivity or negativity towards it yourself? Are you in one or are you bi/multiracial yourself?

I've seen mostly black people (who are usually pro-black dumbasses) speak out against interracial dating and even disgrace black celebrities who date outside of their race. As for other races, not so much.

I'm also really sick of people telling bi/multiracial kids to just "pick one race" and that they will only be seen as one race because of their skin tone and features.

I highly support interracial dating and if my celebrity crushes are anything to go by, race doesn't particularly matter to me when it comes to guys I like (although I have to admit that I may have a thing for East Asians ._.).

Of course I don't see any problem or issue with this. Though usually my preferences are towards my own ethnicity, I did have relationship with others, one an American, the other from the Netherlands. Both ended but it was not because of cultural differences.

I always look for the one who I get along with best... whether he is of similar background to me or not is not a problem, and at times I find it more interesting than sticking with the background that I know best.

Reactions: Gwazi Magnum
how does everyone feel about transethnicity?

If a transblackwoman dates a black man is it still interracial?

I honestly think transethnicity is full of shit. .____.

how does everyone feel about transethnicity?

If a transblackwoman dates a black man is it still interracial?
*Inches in very slowly, waving stick in front to avoid potential mine fields*

Transethnicity I'm not even sure needs to be a thing in the first place.
I mean to compare it to the closest deal, Transgender.

I can understand Transgender, there are biological differences between the Sexes, which causes men and women to behave different on average, hence why Gender roles exist.
But... There isn't anything (that I've seen) to suggest that one's race has a biological difference as far as interests and behaviours are concerned. Granted, you might still find an average difference between races, but those differences can be attributed to geography (parenting culture, level of poverty etc.), not biology.

Not to mention to say if Transethnicity is true would also practically demand that we acknowledge "Cultural Appropriation" as being a thing.
Which all you need to do is look historically to realize that doesn't make any sense, because the vast majority of cultures are taken/borrowed things from other cultures.
Hell Japanese culture (one of the cultures people scream appropriation about the most) is a giant mish-mash of even older culture.

But yea, in a nutshell I feel for one to 'identify' as a different race there has to be something inherent to a race itself that can influence/alter a persons personality.
But since that's always geography based instead, so people of any race can identify under X culture easily as long as they were raised in it, the need to identify as another race seems completely unnecessary.

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: SacredWarrior
*Inches in very slowly, waving stick in front to avoid potential mine fields*

Transethnicity I'm not even sure needs to be a thing in the first place.
I mean to compare it to the closest deal, Transgender.

I can understand transgender, there are biological differences between the sexes, which causes men and women to behave different on average, hence why gender roles exist.
But... There isn't anything (that I've seen) to suggest that one's race has a biological difference as far as interests and behaviours are concerned. Granted, you might still find an average difference between races, but those differences can be attributed to geography (parenting culture, level of poverty etc.), not biology.

Not to mention to say if transethnicity is true would also practically demand that we acknowledge "Cultural Appropriation" as being a thing.
Which all you need to do is look historically to realize that doesn't make any sense, because the vast majority of cultures are taken/borrowed things from other cultures.
Hell Japanese culture (one of the cultures people scream appropriation about the most) is a giant mish-mash of even older culture.

But yea, in a nutshell I feel for one to 'identify' as a different race there has to be something inherent to a race itself that can influence/alter a persons personality.
But since that's always geography based instead, so people of any race can identify under X culture easily as long as they were raised in it the need to identify as another race seems completely unnecessary.

I'm not sure I understand; you don't thing cultural appropriation is "a thing"? Or is it more the idea that it can be a bad thing?

Since we're talking about interracial relationships, this sounds like an appropriate topic.

While it's true that cultures borrow from each other, the problem lies in appropriating something without understanding what is behind it. For example, in certain parts of the United States, sports teams use an "Indian" as a school mascot.

350px-Washington_Redskins_logo.svg.png

The dominant culture uses an image without understanding its meaning, and simplifies meaningful symbols down to virtually nothing.

I'm not sure I understand; you don't thing cultural appropriation is "a thing"? Or is it more the idea that it can be a bad thing?
I don't think it's a thing at all.
Since we're talking about interracial relationships, this sounds like an appropriate topic.
I'm not arguing that. It definitely relates to the topic at hand.
I'm just saying that I personally don't really view it as being much of a thing.

But clearly other's disagree, hence the whole reason discussions about this stuff happens in the first place. :)
While it's true that cultures borrow from each other, the problem lies in appropriating something without understanding what is behind it. For example, in certain parts of the United States, sports teams use an "Indian" as a school mascot.

350px-Washington_Redskins_logo.svg.png

The dominant culture uses an image without understanding its meaning, and simplifies meaningful symbols down to virtually nothing.
I'd honestly wouldn't call something like that appropriation, but rather just a lack of information.
You get that problem in all kinds of things, people get false info, they jump on the first thing they hear, maybe they just grabbed something cool or convenient, they have bias towards/against certain sources or individuals etc.

But instead of going "This is appropriating! Cut it out!" I think just taking the attempt to explain to them what's being shown wrong would be far more beneficial.
Does that always work? No, humans love to stay in bias's. But that's also just something freedom of speech and expression comes with, people are going to spread false/ignorant stuff.

However, although a lie might be much faster to spread, the truth has the endurance to stand the test of time.
So I wouldn't get too worried about stuff like your example, in time people will smarten up and get more aware.
As long as there's individuals still out there trying to educate that is.

• Useful
Reactions: SacredWarrior
I don't think it's a thing at all.

I'm not arguing that. It definitely relates to the topic at hand.
I'm just saying that I personally don't really view it as being much of a thing.

But clearly other's disagree, hence the whole reason discussions about this stuff happens in the first place. :)

I'd honestly wouldn't call something like that appropriation, but rather just a lack of information.
You get that problem in all kinds of things, people get false info, they jump on the first thing they hear, maybe they just grabbed something cool or convenient, they have bias towards/against certain sources or individuals etc.

But instead of going "This is appropriating! Cut it out!" I think just taking the attempt to explain to them what's being shown wrong would be far more beneficial.
Does that always work? No, humans love to stay in bias's. But that's also just something freedom of speech and expression comes with, people are going to spread false/ignorant stuff.

However, although a lie might be much faster to spread, the truth has the endurance to stand the test of time.
So I wouldn't get too worried about stuff like your example, in time people will smarten up and get more aware.
As long as there's individuals still out there trying to educate that is.
you're agreeing the thing happens and that it is a Bad Thing but you don't want to use that particular label for it
whether or not it's born of ignorance doesn't effect whether or not it should be tolerated. if I say "hey, you're appropriating this and here's why", that's me using education to combat ignorance, and making sure that it is no longer an acceptable excuse. if a person wears a first nation's headdress to a music festival because it looks cool, that's not bias, that's them enjoying the benefits of a culture (often times without experiencing any of the discrimination those of the source culture experiences) without taking time to understand the significance behind it.

you can call it whatever you want, but it still happens

Status
Not open for further replies.