Click here to learn more about PC item overflow, and why cutting a tree in the middle of nowhere helps you acquire it.

OH GOD THIS ONE'S JUST HORRIFYING. I DON'T EVER WANT TO HEAR A GAMEBOY MAKE THOSE SOUNDS EVER AGAIN.

ABORT ABORT ABORT.

Also, apparently 4 4 is a glitch trainer. Who knew! I didn't, because 4 4 is supposed to crash the game upon encounter, and even ZZAZZ (the guy who's making these videos), who always provides a detailed explanation of what exactly is going wrong in the game's code in order to create these glitches, mentions in the description of this one that this particular 4 4 encounter happened by accident, that he doesn't know how it happened, and that he hasn't been able to replicate it (and, mind you, this guy already made a video all about 4 4 and all the slight differences in the pixel vomit that covers the screen depending on the location that you encounter it in -- but it still crashed every time despite taking such an in-depth look at everything, as expected).

And now, now I think I know why it normally always crashes. We were not meant to witness the alternative...

Last edited:
I feel like this thread has recently just become a dumping ground for me rambling about Pokemon glitches (and occasionally long rants about Pokemon movies) and I feel kind of bad about that. It makes me feel like I've been slacking on GM stuff.

But... I'm not really sure what GM stuff there is to do...?

Yeah, I poke people to post, but that can easily be done via profile messages (and usually is).

Perhaps I should take a closer look at the museum group later since we appear to have gotten stuck again. Other than that, though... I'm not sure if there's anything I need to attend to.

Which I guess is a good thing, but... it makes the OOC feel slow and dead.

Does anyone have any guesses as to the mystery fandom's identity? The CS is close to being finished, and, to be honest, I'm starting to get impatient keeping it secret for so long. XD And, fuck it, this thread needs something to talk about.

I feel like this thread has recently just become a dumping ground for me rambling about Pokemon glitches (and occasionally long rants about Pokemon movies) and I feel kind of bad about that. It makes me feel like I've been slacking on GM stuff.

But... I'm not really sure what GM stuff there is to do...?

Yeah, I poke people to post, but that can easily be done via profile messages (and usually is).

Perhaps I should take a closer look at the museum group later since we appear to have gotten stuck again. Other than that, though... I'm not sure if there's anything I need to attend to.

Which I guess is a good thing, but... it makes the OOC feel slow and dead.

Does anyone have any guesses as to the mystery fandom's identity? The CS is close to being finished, and, to be honest, I'm starting to get impatient keeping it secret for so long. XD And, fuck it, this thread needs something to talk about.
I actually wanted to address my own Pokemon world rant.

The geography is really strange, both anime-and game wise. Like, real world countries are mentioned, and real animals have also been mentioned. But, it just seems sort of weird. Like, are the regions actually fill-ins for their real life equivalents, or are they equivalent to states in our world, and are under one nation? For example, in the anime, Paris was mentioned, and in a film Mewtwo was looking at New York City (iirc, the Empire State Building and MetLife building were both visible.) which means that Unova and Kalos aren't just fill-ins for NYC and France. And Lt. Surge was mentioned as being American, iirc.

Mew was found by scientists in Guyana, which is a country in South America, and brought to Cinnabar Island.

Does this mean Vatican City and the Church exist? Do other nations have Pokemon and combat? What are the various rules on that? Was there a Pokemon 9/11? World War II? This needs to be explained more.

Sorry for going on about this. Geography is a favorite subject of mine, and fictional geography can bug me when it's not fully worked out or explained.

Reactions: Takumi
I actually wanted to address my own Pokemon world rant.

The geography is really strange, both anime-and game wise. Like, real world countries are mentioned, and real animals have also been mentioned. But, it just seems sort of weird. Like, are the regions actually fill-ins for their real life equivalents, or are they equivalent to states in our world, and are under one nation? For example, in the anime, Paris was mentioned, and in a film Mewtwo was looking at New York City (iirc, the Empire State Building and MetLife building were both visible.) which means that Unova and Kalos aren't just fill-ins for NYC and France. And Lt. Surge was mentioned as being American, iirc.

Mew was found by scientists in Guyana, which is a country in South America, and brought to Cinnabar Island.

Does this mean Vatican City and the Church exist? Do other nations have Pokemon and combat? What are the various rules on that? Was there a Pokemon 9/11? World War II? This needs to be explained more.

Sorry for going on about this. Geography is a favorite subject of mine, and fictional geography can bug me when it's not fully worked out or explained.
My theory is that Pokemon was originally meant to take place in more of a real-world setting, but it gradually evolved into more of its own fantasy world. That's why most of the evidence for the existence of real-world locations as well as real animals are all in Gen I. Because... that's probably what was originally the plan in Gen I. In fact, if you watch the original season of the anime, there are lots of appearances by real animals, to the point where it actually stops becoming remarkable after a while. It's just made very clear that Pokemon were originally meant to exist alongside regular animals as opposed to replacing them completely.

But, when there's a pokemon based off of a real animal, the anime is going to showcase that pokemon instead of the animal, because pokemon are supposed to be the focus. And as more pokemon were designed, there were more real animals that had pokemon equivalents, which meant that real animals made fewer and fewer appearances in the anime until at some point they saw fit to remove real animals from the world completely. People always say things like "how can they call Pikachu an 'electric mouse' pokemon if regular mice don't exist? How would they know what a mouse is?" But... regular mice probably did exist, originally. And, pokedex entries describing pokemon in terms of real-world animals make a lot more sense at that point.

As for geography -- Kanto (and I believe several other earlier regions) are all based off of real places in Japan. There's an area in Japan that's even called Kanto. This suggests that these regions were just meant to be... those parts of Japan, but with Pokemon added. This makes sense especially seeing as how the Gen I games mention a lot of real-world locations. It was probably all set in the real world. But, as time went on, they evolved beyond that, and started basing regions off of places outside of Japan. ...Places that are far too big, geographically, to be represented as a standard pokemon region map (like the entire mainland US). Kalos, funnily enough, matches real-world France's geography much better, and really looks like a slightly scaled-down version of France, and I guess you could say something similar about Alola resembling Hawaii. But, by that point -- it had definitely become clear that Pokemon wanted to be its own world that was separate from earth, despite that seemingly not being the case in the beginning. When exactly was the change made official? I dunno. But there's definitely a lot of evidence (especially in Gen I in particular) to suggest that the Pokemon world was really just meant to be mostly our world but with Pokemon added in.

My theory is that Pokemon was originally meant to take place in more of a real-world setting, but it gradually evolved into more of its own fantasy world. That's why most of the evidence for the existence of real-world locations as well as real animals are all in Gen I. Because... that's probably what was originally the plan in Gen I. In fact, if you watch the original season of the anime, there are lots of appearances by real animals, to the point where it actually stops becoming remarkable after a while. It's just made very clear that Pokemon were originally meant to exist alongside regular animals as opposed to replacing them completely.

But, when there's a pokemon based off of a real animal, the anime is going to showcase that pokemon instead of the animal, because pokemon are supposed to be the focus. And as more pokemon were designed, there were more real animals that had pokemon equivalents, which meant that real animals made fewer and fewer appearances in the anime until at some point they saw fit to remove real animals from the world completely.

As for geography -- Kanto (and I believe several other earlier regions) are all based off of real places in Japan. There's an area in Japan that's even called Kanto. This suggests that these regions were just meant to be... those parts of Japan, but with Pokemon added. This makes sense especially seeing as how the Gen I games mention a lot of real-world locations. It was probably all set in the real world. But, as time went on, they evolved beyond that, and started basing regions off of places outside of Japan. ...Places that are far too big, geographically, to be represented as a standard pokemon region map (like the entire mainland US). Kalos, funnily enough, matches real-world France's geography much better, and really looks like a slightly scaled-down version of France, and I guess you could say something similar about Alola resembling Hawaii. But, by that point -- it had definitely become clear that Pokemon wanted to be its own world that was separate from earth, despite that seemingly not being the case in the beginning. When exactly was the change made official? I dunno. But there's definitely a lot of evidence (especially in Gen I in particular) to suggest that the Pokemon world was really just meant to be mostly our world but with Pokemon added in.

That makes sense, actually. OBut also, real world figures are mentioned later. I.e. Albert Einstein and Thomas Edison in the May-Max seasons.

Also, there's a theory that Almia and Sinnoh are on the same land mass, which is based on Hokkaido.

That makes sense, actually. OBut also, real world figures are mentioned later. I.e. Albert Einstein and Thomas Edison in the May-Max seasons.
But were they mentioned in the original Japanese versions of those episodes? 4Kids sure has a habit of including references to things that weren't originally there. And by Gen III, it certainly seemed like real-world references had been almost completely phased out.

But were they mentioned in the original Japanese versions of those episodes? 4Kids sure has a habit of including references to things that weren't originally there. And by Gen III, it certainly seemed like real-world references had been almost completely phased out.
From the Wiki Page on its relation to the real world, here are several things:

• In the Generation I games and Pokémon FireRed and LeafGreen, Scientist Taylor in the Silph Co. building mentions an international branch of Silph Co. In English, he states that the Tiksi branch of the company is "in Russian no-man's-land". In the Japanese version, he states that the Ponaya Tunguska (Japanese: ポナヤツングスカ) branch is located "deep in Russia". Ponaya Tunguska appears to be a shortened form of the transliterated name of Podkamennaya Tunguska in Japanese (ポドカメンナヤツングースカ).

• Useful
It doesn't really say which dub it was in, though.

From the Wiki Page on its relation to the real world, here are several things:

• In the Generation I games and Pokémon FireRed and LeafGreen, Scientist Taylor in the Silph Co. building mentions an international branch of Silph Co. In English, he states that the Tiksi branch of the company is "in Russian no-man's-land". In the Japanese version, he states that the Ponaya Tunguska (Japanese: ポナヤツングスカ) branch is located "deep in Russia". Ponaya Tunguska appears to be a shortened form of the transliterated name of Podkamennaya Tunguska in Japanese (ポドカメンナヤツングースカ).
Well, the examples from Pokemon Shipwreck and the Gen I games all make perfect sense because, like I said, Pokemon probably had a much more earth-like setting back then (even if it feels a bit weird to imply that Christianity was supposed to be a thing in the Pokemon world). The fact that most (if not all) of this was retconned in favor of making the Pokemon world completely separate from earth is inconsistent, yes, but... meh. What can ya do. Hell, we've already seen plenty more evidence for Pokemon being set in the real world in Gen I, with Lt. Surge's American-ness being a very well-known example. The Gen I anime also has a distinct Japanese flair (despite 4Kids censoring the hell out of it in some places... and then not doing very much to censor others, for some reason), which was later replaced for a more neutral fantasy world without as much real-world culture (except for when they wanted a specific in-universe location to be based off of a specific real-world place, like the Latias/Latios movie being set in a city that was based off of Venice with its waterways).

As for the others -- I'm a bit short on time for the moment but I think I know where I can find some info on what those lines were in the Japanese versions of those episodes, so I'll check up on those later. If those lines were thrown in my 4Kids then I'm going to dismiss them as being not super relevant to the series' lore. But if those episodes did originally include real-world references (even if perhaps they may have originally referred to Japanese figures which were then swapped out for others who might be more familiar to a non-Japanese audience) then you might have something.

ANNOUNCEMENT

@Neobullseye @Rithas @neobendium @AquaTheLita @Minerva @Takumi @0118999881999119725...3 @LuckycoolHawk9 @Raven

I really hate Gwazi sometimes.

REAL ANNOUNCEMENT

I think now is the time when I'll have to put off IC posting until the start of Spring Break (which would be March 11th). I think I've done at least a half-decent job of keeping up with IC posts throughout the first half of the semester, but, in order to end this half on a good note and get done everything that needs to get done before break without completely exhausting my spoon supply... yeah, some of the less-essential stuff will have to get pushed back a bit. Thankfully, you'll only have to wait about a week before I can start to get back into things. And I'll still be around to check in on stuff. If anything, the fact that I'm not trying to get any IC posts done until then will theoretically leave me with more time to just hang around. o_o

My apologies especially to @AquaTheLita, whom I've left hanging since late January as I haven't posted for Trigun or SU since then. However, I put those characters low on my priority list because they're only interacting with Aqua's characters, and Aqua has seemed to be really busy anyway lately, so... yeah...

As for all the other groups -- it really isn't my turn to post for anyone. And I think, by the time it is my turn in some of those groups, it'll probably be pretty close to Spring Break, anyway.

Really the only odd case here is Sherlock. I was hoping to get another post in for him sometime soon, ideally to get him back into the action and introduce his New and ImprovedTM​ form to the rest of the museum group. But that's also been a low-priority thing since he isn't currently interacting with anyone and therefore isn't holding anyone up. And then there's also the fact that the museum group has still been moving super-slow as always... but, I guess that's something I'll have to sort out again during break.

OH GOD THIS ONE'S JUST HORRIFYING. I DON'T EVER WANT TO HEAR A GAMEBOY MAKE THOSE SOUNDS EVER AGAIN.

ABORT ABORT ABORT.

Also, apparently 4 4 is a glitch trainer. Who knew! I didn't, because 4 4 is supposed to crash the game upon encounter, and even ZZAZZ (the guy who's making these videos), who always provides a detailed explanation of what exactly is going wrong in the game's code in order to create these glitches, mentions in the description of this one that this particular 4 4 encounter happened by accident, that he doesn't know how it happened, and that he hasn't been able to replicate it (and, mind you, this guy already made a video all about 4 4 and all the slight differences in the pixel vomit that covers the screen depending on the location that you encounter it in -- but it still crashed every time despite taking such an in-depth look at everything, as expected).

And now, now I think I know why it normally always crashes. We were not meant to witness the alternative...
...So, Pikachu and Rotom had a lovechild, which then decided to possess the game Dial-up modem?

I DIDN'T FORGET ABOUT THIS

In Pokémon Shipwreck, Brock directly refers to the tale of Noah who sent a dove to find dry land after a great flood, according to most Abrahamic religions.
Apparently this is the same in Japanese and English. Interesting.

Once again, though, this is a Gen I episode, and I'm already fairly certain that Pokemon was meant to be set in a mostly real-world setting back then, so this bit of additional evidence really isn't surprising -- even if it's a bit strange to think of real-world religions existing in this universe.

In A Bite to Remember, Jessie says that Albert Einstein created the light bulb. Max corrects her, saying that Thomas Edison was the creator.
Dogasu's Backpack (the site that I've been getting this comparison info from) doesn't mention anything about this, so... I guess it's in both versions?

Hm.
There also wasn't any mention of this on Dogasu's Backpack. ...But they did mention that 4Kids commissioned the Japanese animators to add entirely new scenes that weren't originally in the movie at all. And some of those specially-commissioned scenes were nothing more than filler. I already knew about this, but I just wanted to mention it here -- because that seems like a waste of money and it's just very perplexing that 4Kids would do such a thing.

Anyway, this movie came out in Gen II, so it's not... that surprising? I guess? I dunno.

Edit: And for another example of strange and expensive creative choices in Pokemon movies, I recently learned that the Pokemon: Black and White movie (which I never actually saw, because I stopped keeping up with Pokemon movies around Gen IV as a kid), is actually two movies that are mostly the same but still different in some places depending on which version you watch. You know, like what they do with the games. The plot is mostly the same, but in the White version Ash does a thing with Zekrom and in the Black version Ash does a thing with Reshiram. And there are several scenes where even unimportant background pokemon are different according to the version-exclusive species in their respective games. And -- and this is where it gets weird -- there are some scenes in which we see the same thing happening in both movies, but from different camera angles -- meaning that a scene that could've easily just been copy/pasted between the two movies (therefore saving a lot of money) instead had to be made totally separately with unique animation for... reasons.

Last edited:
I DIDN'T FORGET ABOUT THIS

Apparently this is the same in Japanese and English. Interesting.

Once again, though, this is a Gen I episode, and I'm already fairly certain that Pokemon was meant to be set in a mostly real-world setting back then, so this bit of additional evidence really isn't surprising -- even if it's a bit strange to think of real-world religions existing in this universe.

Dogasu's Backpack (the site that I've been getting this comparison info from) doesn't mention anything about this, so... I guess it's in both versions?

Hm.

There also wasn't any mention of this on Dogasu's Backpack. ...But they did mention that 4Kids commissioned the Japanese animators to add entirely new scenes that weren't originally in the movie at all. And some of those specially-commissioned scenes were nothing more than filler. I already knew about this, but I just wanted to mention it here -- because that seems like a waste of money and it's just very perplexing that 4Kids would do such a thing.

Anyway, this movie came out in Gen II, so it's not... that surprising? I guess? I dunno.

Edit: And for another example of strange and expensive creative choices in Pokemon movies, I recently learned that the Pokemon: Black and White movie (which I never actually saw, because I stopped keeping up with Pokemon movies around Gen IV as a kid), is actually two movies that are mostly the same but still different in some places depending on which version you watch. You know, like what they do with the games. The plot is mostly the same, but in the White version Ash does a thing with Zekrom and in the Black version Ash does a thing with Reshiram. And there are several scenes where even unimportant background pokemon are different according to the version-exclusive species in their respective games. And -- and this is where it gets weird -- there are some scenes in which we see the same thing happening in both movies, but from different camera angles -- meaning that a scene that could've easily just been copy/pasted between the two movies (therefore saving a lot of money) instead had to be made totally separately with unique animation for... reasons.

Ah, the Black and White movies. I've seen them both and noticed the differences, mostly towards the end really.

I'd just like to make everyone aware of the fact that there exists a Doctor Who comic where the monster-of-the-week turns out to be... memes. And bad remixes of popular songs. Such concepts were attempting to invade a planet, attacking the humans and other forms of intelligent life that lived there.

And it made me think of Gwazi. (@0118999881999119725...3)

• Bucket of Rainbows
Reactions: Gwazi Magnum
I'd just like to make everyone aware of the fact that there exists a Doctor Who comic where the monster-of-the-week turns out to be... memes. And bad remixes of popular songs. Such concepts were attempting to invade a planet, attacking the humans and other forms of intelligent life that lived there.

How could that possibly remind you of me? o_o

Show me pls
How could that possibly remind you of me? o_o
>memes
>"How could that possibly remind you of me?"

Show me pls
Well I don't want to upload entire pages of it or anything, but...

IMG_1923.jpg

IMG_1926.jpg

IMG_1927.jpg

FullSizeRender_23.jpg

IMG_1922.jpg

Wait...

Maybe I'm just slow from having been up all night, but when did you join Fandomstuck? o_o
I didn't, I just like poking in here occasionally.
He's our houseplant.