• So many newbies lately! Here is a very important PSA about one of our most vital content policies! Read it even if you are an ancient member!
@Neobullseye I have a confession to make: I have no idea how the energy wave is supposed to look in 3D space.

I wasn't even sure when I posted for Sonic whether or not outrunning it would even make any sense. And I later realized that, depending on the shape of the wave, it might make more sense to dodge it just by moving to the side... or it might have even made more sense to just fly out of its way (assuming the wave was fairly flat and low to the ground), but I figured I could fix it later so I just sort of ran with what felt right to begin with.

But now that Kagerou's been hit with it -- would that mean that Sonic would get hit, too? I would've assumed so, but @chaosheart13's post made it sound like only Kagerou would've been affected, so now I'm thinking that maybe the energy wave is only supposed to be able to hit one person -- regardless of its shape -- just due to video game logic... but I really have no idea, because I'm sort of clueless as to how this thing is supposed to work. o_o"

@Neobullseye I have a confession to make: I have no idea how the energy wave is supposed to look in 3D space.

I wasn't even sure when I posted for Sonic whether or not outrunning it would even make any sense. And I later realized that, depending on the shape of the wave, it might make more sense to dodge it just by moving to the side... or it might have even made more sense to just fly out of its way (assuming the wave was fairly flat and low to the ground), but I figured I could fix it later so I just sort of ran with what felt right to begin with.

But now that Kagerou's been hit with it -- would that mean that Sonic would get hit, too? I would've assumed so, but @chaosheart13's post made it sound like only Kagerou would've been affected, so now I'm thinking that maybe the energy wave is only supposed to be able to hit one person -- regardless of its shape -- just due to video game logic... but I really have no idea, because I'm sort of clueless as to how this thing is supposed to work. o_o"
Ah, did it sound like only Kagerou was hit? Sorry, I was going to leave the possibility of Sonic getting hit to you so I didn't put that in my post.

Ah, did it sound like only Kagerou was hit? Sorry, I was going to leave the possibility of Sonic getting hit to you so I didn't put that in my post.
Yeah, I thought maybe that's what you were going for -- I just wasn't sure.

wait, so does that mean that others were hit by the thing too...?

wait, so does that mean that others were hit by the thing too...?
The wave was aimed at Kagerou, and Sonic tried to grab Kagerou and pull him out of the way. But Kagerou got hit -- so it follows that Sonic would've also gotten hit because he was still holding onto him -- unless the wave can only hit one person because of video game logic, but I'm not sure if that's the case. I don't think anyone else would've gotten hit.

• Useful
Reactions: Takumi

That's... a good question. If we were to follow video game logic, then yes, the attack in question should only be able to hit one person. The problem is, if I were to state this now, then everything else would have to follow game logic too for the sake of consistency, unless there is a very good reason that it shouldn't. Furthermore, I've been taken a lot of liberties with the source material anyway for multiple reasons. One, the original material is fairly limited anyway (they're random mons from an SNES RPG; it's not like they had a lot of background to begin with :P). And two, the original is a turn-based RPG, meaning that all attacks always hit unless you get lucky; this would be a big no-no in RPs, for obvious reasons.
If we're going to follow the RP universe's rules though, then Kagerou being hit would lead to Sonic being hit too. The animation in the original is pretty simplistic (again, SNES RPG, you can't expect THAT much), but the movement of it would be fairly linear. Sidestepping it would've been a decent option, given that you had enough time to do so. Using a combination of both the source material and me making stuff up, I'd say that the attack would sort of look like a whole bunch of circles flying after one another trapped in a sphere of sorts, the total of which would form the wave in question. Size-wise, it would've been about... two meters high? Using normal physics this would've been way too high to jump over, but considering Sonic can jump something like four times his own height, he could possible do it (were it not for the fact that it's already been stated he can't).

• Useful
Reactions: Kagayours
The problem is, if I were to state this now, then everything else would have to follow game logic too for the sake of consistency, unless there is a very good reason that it shouldn't.
I mean... not necessarily. You can allow some examples of video game logic without requiring everything about that character or entity to follow video game logic strictly -- like you said, that would be ridiculous. And besides, basically all of our fandom characters only feature some of the abilities from their canon and only follow some of their canon's rules -- as anything that would be impractical for a setting like this would have to be left out.

I guess I can see how you'd argue that fandomena require a bit more "consistency", but... eh. In something as abstracted as a turn-based RPG, you definitely have a lot of creative liberty in how you want certain things to translate over to a more "realistic" environment. But, that still doesn't mean that video game logic is an all-or-nothing deal. You can still include a few instances of it while leaving out anything that would be too impractical.

Like, if you don't want to include it in this specific case then that's fine. I just wanted to clear up that one thing, because... yeah. It really doesn't make any sense that you would have to treat it as an all-or-nothing deal. @_@

I mean... not necessarily. You can allow some examples of video game logic without requiring everything about that character or entity to follow video game logic strictly -- like you said, that would be ridiculous. And besides, basically all of our fandom characters only feature some of the abilities from their canon and only follow some of their canon's rules -- as anything that would be impractical for a setting like this would have to be left out.

I guess I can see how you'd argue that fandomena require a bit more "consistency", but... eh. In something as abstracted as a turn-based RPG, you definitely have a lot of creative liberty in how you want certain things to translate over to a more "realistic" environment. But, that still doesn't mean that video game logic is an all-or-nothing deal. You can still include a few instances of it while leaving out anything that would be too impractical.

Like, if you don't want to include it in this specific case then that's fine. I just wanted to clear up that one thing, because... yeah. It really doesn't make any sense that you would have to treat it as an all-or-nothing deal. @_@
Eh, fair enough. Hmm... Let's say that in this scenario, the attack would hit both Kagerou and Sonic, but due to it being focused on the former won't affect the latter quite as much.

Eh, fair enough. Hmm... Let's say that in this scenario, the attack would hit both Kagerou and Sonic, but due to it being focused on the former won't affect the latter quite as much.
Works for me.

I'm just sitting here eating a Madeira cake with my barehands for dinner.

Truely I have dropped down to savagery

So, in today's Pokémon news, two very interesting things were revealed (along with a bunch of somewhat less interesting things). One, a new 'team' that's totally not evil or anything; the Aether Foundation. Amongst other things, they've made an entire artificial island in the middle of a tropical paradise, and are rumoured to have to do a lot with other artifiical stuff too.

Second, a new Pokémon called Type:Null (no really, that's what it's called), the Synthetic Pokémon.

250px-Type_Null.png

Now at first glance this might look like a horrible amalgam of random Pokémon parts (which is mostly is, really; it's apparently based on a chimera, in the sense that is has parts of several different species in it), including a mammal, a bird (front legs) and a fish. Most importantly though, see those spikes on its neck? Compare them with this thing's waist band thing:

250px-493Arceus.png

For those who don't know a whole lot about Pokémon: That is Arceus, which in lore is the literal Pokémon GOD. So part of the Synthetic (AKA: Man-made) Pokémon strongly resembles one of the most defining features of god itself.

Below is a blurb of the official description of Type:Null:

This Pokémon wearing a mask has been dubbed "Null," meaning nothing.

The shapes of its front and hind legs are clearly different. The reason is that Type: Null was constructed to synthesize the strengths of various Pokémon, enabling it to adapt to any situation.

The mask fitted to Type: Null's head is a piece of equipment designed to control its latent powers. It's extremely heavy, so it also serves to hinder Type: Null's agility.

To complete a certain mission, there was need of a Pokémon powerful enough to rival those Pokémon often spoken of in mythology.

Long story short, he was designed to take the best parts of all sorts of different Pokémon, be powerful enough to battle legendaries, yet also has a power limiter on it to keep him in check. Now remember that there is a science-based 'team' who already has been established to make artificial things... Yeah, is it any wonder that literally nobody on the internet is trusting them? :P

So, in today's Pokémon news, two very interesting things were revealed (along with a bunch of somewhat less interesting things). One, a new 'team' that's totally not evil or anything; the Aether Foundation. Amongst other things, they've made an entire artificial island in the middle of a tropical paradise, and are rumoured to have to do a lot with other artifiical stuff too.

Second, a new Pokémon called Type:Null (no really, that's what it's called), the Synthetic Pokémon.

250px-Type_Null.png

Now at first glance this might look like a horrible amalgam of random Pokémon parts (which is mostly is, really; it's apparently based on a chimera, in the sense that is has parts of several different species in it), including a mammal, a bird (front legs) and a fish. Most importantly though, see those spikes on its neck? Compare them with this thing's waist band thing:

250px-493Arceus.png

For those who don't know a whole lot about Pokémon: That is Arceus, which in lore is the literal Pokémon GOD. So part of the Synthetic (AKA: Man-made) Pokémon strongly resembles one of the most defining features of god itself.

Below is a blurb of the official description of Type:Null:

This Pokémon wearing a mask has been dubbed "Null," meaning nothing.

The shapes of its front and hind legs are clearly different. The reason is that Type: Null was constructed to synthesize the strengths of various Pokémon, enabling it to adapt to any situation.

The mask fitted to Type: Null's head is a piece of equipment designed to control its latent powers. It's extremely heavy, so it also serves to hinder Type: Null's agility.

To complete a certain mission, there was need of a Pokémon powerful enough to rival those Pokémon often spoken of in mythology.

Long story short, he was designed to take the best parts of all sorts of different Pokémon, be powerful enough to battle legendaries, yet also has a power limiter on it to keep him in check. Now remember that there is a science-based 'team' who already has been established to make artificial things... Yeah, is it any wonder that literally nobody on the internet is trusting them? :P
Some interesting things in that trailer.

It's making me giddy.

So, in today's Pokémon news, two very interesting things were revealed (along with a bunch of somewhat less interesting things). One, a new 'team' that's totally not evil or anything; the Aether Foundation.
It took me a while to realize we were talking about Pokemon Sun and Moon here and not Pokemon Go.

I was very confused for a second.

250px-Type_Null.png
o3o Ooooh... It sort of reminds me of Digimon. I like it!

Also, what do you guys/girls/<insert something appropriate here> think about the return of Pokémon Snap as some kind of side content? If nothing else, it seems like a good time waster :D

I haven't seen the new trailer yet. :0

Also, what do you guys/girls/<insert something appropriate here> think about the return of Pokémon Snap as some kind of side content?
...I thought Pokemon Go already offered plenty of that. o3o

It has occurred to me that my attempts at getting the museum group moving again all basically boil down to me saying, "Post or the Timelord gets it...!"

myeeeeeh

So uh

Super Mario Run.

A Mario game centered around... running.

That's a thing.

Cue Sonic screaming into a pillow somewhere.

In today's episode of Trump Doesn't Make Sense...

As we all know by now, Trump wants to pull back all US military forces all over the world and pretty much do nothing about their allies problems because it is not the US's problem, right? Let alone all the conflict zones in countries that aren't even (popular/well-known) US allies to begin with. Given this, can someone explain to me why he wants to also further increas the US army's size, even though it is already one if, if not the largest military force in the entire world? O_o

PS: I'll try to get some postage out either tonight or this weekend.