To be fair I meeeeeaan I can sort of get what they're going at for practicality's sake. But there's still plenty of room for creativity even on humanoid aliens, so like, I mean... *indecipherable arm flailing*
I'm not asking a lot here. I'm not asking for some god-tier omniscient energy creature. I'm asking for a carbon-based biological life form that is a sentient personable character that doesn't even have special powers (not all Andalites use morphing technology, and it's not like the ones that do use it crazy all the time it would literally be nothing like Animorphs) and yeah they're smart but I mean if we've got interstellar humans it's not like they're not smart too know what I mean? It's not an ugly alien or something that doesn't have recognizable features. It has a face, it has arms and hands, it has feelings, it's a legitimate character concept that's apparently too difficult to grasp just because it has four legs instead of two.

Not all the sci-fi roleplays, just the outer-space-and-aliens roleplays. But God Forbid Your Alien Is Too Alien.
you know your arguments are extremely valid and are kind of winning me over (even though i was already on your side) and now i really do wanna do an outer-space-and-aliens roleplay

I'm not asking a lot here. I'm not asking for some god-tier omniscient energy creature. I'm asking for a carbon-based biological life form that is a sentient personable character that doesn't even have special powers (not all Andalites use morphing technology, and it's not like the ones that do use it crazy all the time it would literally be nothing like Animorphs) and yeah they're smart but I mean if we've got interstellar humans it's not like they're not smart too know what I mean? It's not an ugly alien or something that doesn't have recognizable features. It has a face, it has arms and hands, it has feelings, it's a legitimate character concept that's apparently too difficult to grasp just because it has four legs instead of two.

You make a valid point, and I'm not saying I disagree with you. I'm just saying I can understand why a GM would want to limit it in such a way for reasons beyond wanting all aliens to look "just like humans but with a face tattoo".

And I mean if you really felt so strongly about it, you could've tried debating it a bit with the GM. If they're a decent GM who's open to reason, you might've been able to win them over, or at least have gotten a better understanding of their argument if they were able to argue effectively against your points. And if they were a not-decent GM ready to flip out at any question of authority, then yeah fuck 'em you're better off not RPing with them.

But yeah, I'm just, I mean, yeah... *arms continue to flail in an attempt to make up for a lack of a solid closing statement*

You make a valid point, and I'm not saying I disagree with you. I'm just saying I can understand why a GM would want to limit it in such a way for reasons beyond wanting all aliens to look "just like humans but with a face tattoo".

And I mean if you really felt so strongly about it, you could've tried debating it a bit with the GM. If they're a decent GM who's open to reason, you might've been able to win them over, or at least have gotten a better understanding of their argument if they were able to argue effectively against your points. And if they were a not-decent GM ready to flip out at any question of authority, then yeah fuck 'em you're better off not RPing with them.

But yeah, I'm just, I mean, yeah... *arms continue to flail in an attempt to make up for a lack of a solid closing statement*
See, I don't have problems with sci-fi/space RPs where the GMs just want human characters, and having humans being the only known sentient race (y'know, like in Interstellar) BUT it's when the GMs are like "yeah aliens, just not that alien" is really really closed-minded BECAUSE just the fact that admitting aliens are a thing you open the door to a whole new realm of possibility for both sentient and non-sentient life-forms. It's like exploring an alien planet and getting attacked by a monster but that monster has to closely resemble an Earth animal or else its not valid and we're going to ignore it. And the worst part is I'm pretty sure the heart of the problem is that an alien that deviates too far from the humanoid spectrum it loses its sexual appeal, and that's the real reason GMs don't want them. They'll say "oh it's just not functional" BULLSHIT most live-in space ships are more than big enough to house something with slightly-different anatomy. I've seen pictures of the cushy space ship interiors they're using, it wouldn't even be crowded. Not functional my ass, it's science-fiction we can bullshit where we have to in order to make things work.
you know your arguments are extremely valid and are kind of winning me over (even though i was already on your side) and now i really do wanna do an outer-space-and-aliens roleplay
Thank you.

See, I don't have problems with sci-fi/space RPs where the GMs just want human characters, and having humans being the only known sentient race (y'know, like in Interstellar) BUT it's when the GMs are like "yeah aliens, just not that alien" is really really closed-minded BECAUSE just the fact that admitting aliens are a thing you open the door to a whole new realm of possibility for both sentient and non-sentient life-forms. It's like exploring an alien planet and getting attacked by a monster but that monster has to closely resemble an Earth animal or else its not valid and we're going to ignore it. And the worst part is I'm pretty sure the heart of the problem is that an alien that deviates too far from the humanoid spectrum it loses its sexual appeal, and that's the real reason GMs don't want them. They'll say "oh it's just not functional" BULLSHIT most live-in space ships are more than big enough to house something with slightly-different anatomy. I've seen pictures of the cushy space ship interiors they're using, it wouldn't even be crowded. Not functional my ass, it's science-fiction we can bullshit where we have to in order to make things work.

*shrug shrug shrug* Again, I'm not saying you don't have a point. I'm just saying I can't blame GM's for having their reasons. Maybe they just find humanoid characters easier for them to manage. I don't know, I'm not them.

Also, hate to play devil's advocate, but it's also a bit close-minded to assume that every GM that only allows humanoid-looking aliens is doing it for sexual reasons, methinks.

Like I said, you could've tried debating it with the GM who rejected you in the first place. Then, one of three things would've most likely happened: 1) You learn that the GM is too inflexible to handle any questioning and you're better off without them. 2) You manage to convince the GM that the alien race you'd suggested is perfectly doable and that they have no reason to not accept it. 3) If the GM is able to effectively argue against you, then you gain a better understanding of their argument because maybe they have a good reason for placing such a limitation.

Or maybe they don't have a good reason. I don't know. I wasn't there, and I didn't ask. *shrugging continues*

If you think it doesn't make sense for an RP like that to not accept a wider variety of aliens, then that's fine -- go ahead and start your own RP (or have Ceph start one or something I dunno). I think it's a great idea, really. And, if sci-fi RP's that do accept more diverse aliens really are as rare as you say they are, then I'm sure you'll attract plenty of players who share similar frustrations to yours. I'm not trying to say you don't have a valid complaint or anything. For the most part, you raise a good point. I just can't say I agree that all these GM's are really in the wrong, since I don't know much about their stances on it or why they placed such a restriction. Maybe, the way their RP's are structured, their way makes a lot more sense. And, given the fact that I, personally, tend to value structure/activity flow in an RP far more than the actual content/concept (at least from a GMing perspective), I can't fault a GM for placing such restrictions if it makes it easier for them to run. :/

But, seriously, go ahead and start an RP with Ceph if you think it's a good idea. (And I'm not trying to say that in a sarcastic or passive-aggressive way; I do sincerely think you should go for it if you feel so strongly about this.) I'm not trying to say you're wrong or anything so I apologize for whatever emotional state this is putting you in. :/

*shrug shrug shrug* Again, I'm not saying you don't have a point. I'm just saying I can't blame GM's for having their reasons. Maybe they just find humanoid characters easier for them to manage. I don't know, I'm not them.

Also, hate to play devil's advocate, but it's also a bit close-minded to assume that every GM that only allows humanoid-looking aliens is doing it for sexual reasons, methinks.

Like I said, you could've tried debating it with the GM who rejected you in the first place. Then, one of three things would've most likely happened: 1) You learn that the GM is too inflexible to handle any questioning and you're better off without them. 2) You manage to convince the GM that the alien race you'd suggested is perfectly doable and that they have no reason to not accept it. 3) If the GM is able to effectively argue against you, then you gain a better understanding of their argument because maybe they have a good reason for placing such a limitation.

Or maybe they don't have a good reason. I don't know. I wasn't there, and I didn't ask. *shrugging continues*

If you think it doesn't make sense for an RP like that to not accept a wider variety of aliens, then that's fine -- go ahead and start your own RP (or have Ceph start one or something I dunno). I think it's a great idea, really. And, if sci-fi RP's that do accept more diverse aliens really are as rare as you say they are, then I'm sure you'll attract plenty of players who share similar frustrations to yours. I'm not trying to say you don't have a valid complaint or anything. For the most part, you raise a good point. I just can't say I agree that all these GM's are really in the wrong, since I don't know much about their stances on it or why they placed such a restriction. Maybe, the way their RP's are structured, their way makes a lot more sense. And, given the fact that I, personally, tend to value structure/activity flow in an RP far more than the actual content/concept (at least from a GMing perspective), I can't fault a GM for placing such restrictions if it makes it easier for them to run. :/

But, seriously, go ahead and start an RP with Ceph if you think it's a good idea. (And I'm not trying to say that in a sarcastic or passive-aggressive way; I do sincerely think you should go for it if you feel so strongly about this.) I'm not trying to say you're wrong or anything so I apologize for whatever emotional state this is putting you in. :/
I forgot to mention in my last post that I did take it up with the GM. I got the "functionality" argument (again, which is bullshit) and then the GM compared my request of a valid, pre-existing species with plenty of back-up information to someone else's made-up energy creature inhabiting a space suit saying that since he couldn't accept that person's he couldn't accept mine, even after I explained all of my super-valid logical points. Fuck that. I don't have anything against the GM personally, it's just that is seems to be such a consistent pattern I can only see it as xenophobia. That's all it is. Fuck that shit.

I forgot to mention in my last post that I did take it up with the GM. I got the "functionality" argument (again, which is bullshit) and then the GM compared my request of a valid, pre-existing species with plenty of back-up information to someone else's made-up energy creature inhabiting a space suit saying that since he couldn't accept that person's he couldn't accept mine, even after I explained all of my super-valid logical points. Fuck that. I don't have anything against the GM personally, it's just that is seems to be such a consistent pattern I can only see it as xenophobia. That's all it is. Fuck that shit.

If that was the GM's response then I find your frustration perfectly valid and agree that the GM's stance is kind of bullshit.

I just feel like I can't write off all GM's who do this as being this way, cuz, I mean... you know. *the biggest shruggedy-shrug of them all*

If that was the GM's response then I find your frustration perfectly valid and agree that the GM's stance is kind of bullshit.

I just feel like I can't write off all GM's who do this as being this way, cuz, I mean... you know. *the biggest shruggedy-shrug of them all*
Yeah I'm sure they're not all like that but I'm sick and tired of Species: (humanoid only)

Xenophobia xenooophoooobiiiiiaaaaa

Yeah I'm sure they're not all like that but I'm sick and tired of Species: (humanoid only)

Xenophobia xenooophoooobiiiiiaaaaa

AND I'M TRYING TO SAY THAT IT'S NOT ALWAYS XENOPHOBIA.

And now that I've gotten that off my chest I'll stop using big letters because I feel like this is getting too heated but like I don't want to just nod and agree with you if I don't actually 100% agree you know????

Even if it's not intentionally malicious (which, let's be honest, it never is in this case) it's still xenophobia. People can do what they want with their RPs, I'm saying that they can't. If someone wanted an all-white cast or an all-asian cast for their RP that's their perrogative and I won't join.

but I will still silently judge them

Even if it's not intentionally malicious (which, let's be honest, it never is in this case) it's still xenophobia. People can do what they want with their RPs, I'm saying that they can't. If someone wanted an all-white cast or an all-asian cast for their RP that's their perrogative and I won't join.

but I will still silently judge them

Ok but it really isn't???

I'm sorry but it just doesn't seem like a fair comparison to compare different races of humans to creatures who are literally not human, and can be very very far away from being human, and the GM might not want to deal with not because it simply makes them uncomfortable, but because it might make the RP more difficult to manage for whatever reason.

You know, the most ironic part of my rant is that Andalites are, in fact, extremely xenophobic.

Ok I hate to put you on the spot like this but like are you part of this RP or not?

One straight answer right here right now is all I'm asking.

Ok I hate to put you on the spot like this but like are you part of this RP or not?

One straight answer right here right now is all I'm asking.
Yeah, I am

Yeah, I am

Ok then.

Just let me know when you're ready to get back into the IC and I'll see how I can help you with that.

So long as you stick around and continue to communicate with me.