Status
Not open for further replies.
Quil
selahsue-reason-1-940x300_zpstsjhoijp.jpg

Quicia Leonna Pilaboo // 24 yo // Human

"Quil, I do believe I am holding you up now from getting fitted. It takes some time, so I shall bid you good day for now. We may speak tomorrow." Serin said calmly as he walked away with a smile. He had met his first Rider for a long time, and felt great happiness from it...

She nodded with a polite smile as Serin went on his way. "If all the other Riders are as nice as Serin, then it'll make training with them easier. Almost feels like home." Following the path expressed in her mind, Quil soon found the armor workshop where the infamous Hvitgaar was to be found.

Stepping inside, Quil's eyes explored her new surroundings, amazed at all the tools and equipment...and feeling a sudden burst of homesickness for the shop reminded her of her mother's.

"Hello? Anyone home?" She patiently waited while studying the various equipment that were unfamiliar to her. Wonder what sort of metals they use to stylize armor fitting against dragon fire..."

Schiza

Schiza // 1 yo // Purple Dulsorian Dragon

It has. I believe I've only seen one other dragon,maybe two,and I only spoke to Arya's dragon. But, nice to make your acquaintance Schiza. Where do you two come from? And, have you ever seen a dragon before now? Kylan spoke to Schiza within her mind.

Schiza shook her head softly, I'm the only dragon I've ever seen in Eoam, or ever. And now, you're the second. Our little island is very remote and wild. I'm the second dragon egg to ever hatch there for several decades.

Before she could continue the conversation with Kylan, hoping to learn more about her kind besides the unique color of their scales, Kylan's thoughts were interrupted and he left without a word.

Um, his Rider must be a demanding one, she noted. Slipping away from Kylan's roost, she headed back to her nesting area. The dragon's lair was much nicer than what she resided in at Eoam. Sea caves are rather muggy in the summers, cold and wet at night, and far too cramped and lacking any natural passages unless the ocean's waves reached far enough to carve them. In her case, she's broken many claws deepening her caves well enough to allow her enough space for her wings - without allowing her salty neighbor to enter at high tide. This place - was a wonderful change of pace.

Cudding back upon her cozy nest, tucking her head under her wing and letting out a deep breath of relief. Now, a moment of relaxation for my wee bones...

SCHIZ!

WOOAHAT!

Schiza jumped into the air in alarm, landing harshly upon her feet before a sudden burst of her wings bolted her out the take-off perch opened to the bright sky. Quilcia! Are you in danger? Feeling for her little sister's location, Schiza was just about to rush there, but Quil's response back to her was a wild fit of laughter that made the dragon halt dead in the air.

Sorry Schiza! HAHA! I didn't...*snicker* mean to startle you... But, um... Weren't you paying attention to your thoughts?

No, dear one, I was trying to rest...again. Schiza remain hovering over the towers, looking down towards her Rider's location with the irritating sensation that rest was not on the agenda for that day.

Apologizing, Quil nodded in understanding. I know you're worn, but the Eldunari just informed me that you're also needed for fitting as well. Meet me here. We'll get this done, and I promise I'll leave you alone for the rest of the day - until we're summoned again.

Schiza didn't blame Quil or anyone else for missing out on a quick nap. She understood that the needs of all outweighed the needs of one; her rest will come the day she dies. As of now, her and her Rider must prepare and nothing else. Moments later, Schiza landed outside the workshop to await her orders.

Last edited:
Reactions: Lylith
Hvitgaar

"Hello? Anyone home?"

The stocky dwarf heard the voice even through the various noises that accompanied any dwarven workshop. The sound of soft bellows pushing hot air into a forge. The "tink... tink... tink" of gears spinning and the creak of a flywheel spinning as they performed their various mechanical tasks. The dawrves had constructed dozens of little contraptions to help aid them in their various tasks... So much so that one dwarf could run a shop all by himself if he needed to, however it would be much more efficient and exact if an actual knurlan were operating the bellows instead of a flywheel...

He paused and turned around to find his view blocked by a pile of pressed armor blanks that were plopped onto the ground like sheets of stacked paper by a printing press. He took a few steps and leaned out from behind the stacks to investigate the voice that he almost missed.

Hvitgaar caught a glimpse of long hair and shining skin in the doorway and sighed... "My work never ends..." he thought as he turned around the stack of sheet metal and approached the woman...

"Welcome, young rider, to my shop... And I suppose you're here for your fitting too are ye?"

Quil & Schiza

Quicia Leonna Pilaboo // 24 yo // Human // Schiza // 1 yo // Purple Dulsorian Dragon

Peeking past a tall stack of metal, a husky bearded face with scruffy eyebrows over strong, wise eyes found their way to her. "Welcome, young rider, to my shop... And I suppose you're here for your fitting too are ye?"

"Yes, if you're Hvitgaar," Quil grinned knowingly. "My dragon and I are ready when you are." They could hear Schiza pur deeply outside, tired but just as excited about receiving new gear just as much as her Rider.

Reactions: Sail
Hvitgaar

The dwarf smiled and approached the young lady as she entered the hot workshop. He hadn't expected many females, but this one didn't appear to be like most. She moved with feline fluidity if not confidence, but her dragon was the opposite. Still fluid and graceful, but very confident as dragons tended to be.

"Well I suppose the only thing to do is get started now that introductions are out of the way... " he concluded, picking up the string from earlier and repeating the process he had performed on Serin. The measurements were much smaller on her, but they weren't so small that minor corrections and modifications wouldn't suit her needs...

As he measured he asked her a few questions regarding her fighting style. He saw that she had two blades on her but they were oddly shaped and he needed to know how she fought in order to best armor her so that her gear didn't impede her movements or pinch her if she needed to perform certain non typical combat moves.

Most armor that the dwarves crafted would prevent any pinching and would never restrict movement, but this armor was meant to be fitted to anyone and had certain limitations if you fastened all of the plates onto the leather harness. Pulling your arms in close or raising them up high would cause the plates to catch sometimes and could result in the rider being injured... In light of this, Hvitgaar needed to decide what movements the wearer would most need to perform, and make sure that the plates wouldn't catch or pinch while doing those movements.

Quil & Schiza

Quicia Leonna Pilaboo // 24 yo // Human // Schiza // 1 yo // Purple Dulsorian Dragon

While Schiza snuck in a quick nap outside in the snow, Quil went through the whole boring measuring process. To pass the time, she asked question after question about all the interesting tools Hvitgaar had in his workshop. There were a few, she noticed, that could come of use for her mother - making the task of metalworking faster for her. But, knowing her mother well, 'faster is not wiser' she would say.

"Old tools make precise quality faster when in wise hands. No need for fancy equipment, unless I was manufacturing for an army. HA! No, just a few city fighters, farmers, cooks, and hunters; nothing more than that."

All Quil sees is her tired mother working day and night on leather and steel with a few apprentices and no time for anything else. Nevertheless, she asked to learn more, hoping to one day provide similar tools for her mother. By the time she's able to afford such things, age will make her mother more reasonable.

When Hvitgaar asked her about fighting style and her weapons, Quil nodded cheery. "Not many know of my style of fighting, nor these weapons." She pulled her half moon blades out and stretched them out towards the dwarf for inspection. "They are Eoam half moon blades, my mother forged them for me. They look like deer horns; she said I pranced around like a deer when I was younger. She'd figured when I was of age to learn to hunt and fight, I should have a weapon that can prance with me."

Stepping back to the most open space she could find in the room, Quil began to move and step in a fluid motion with her blades, almost like she was dancing or swimming within the atmosphere. "I figured that I should learn a fighting style that danced like a deer, or close enough. So, I figured one out on my own; tested it on a few bullies back home. They don't bother me as much anymore..."

The beauty of her moves was mesmerizing - a lovely distraction to the sudden force of her arms thrusting the blades throughout the invisible battle. It is mighty difficult to detect just how damaging such an art could be - poor shame for those who choose to test it.

She finished her demonstration with a sudden critique. You're still dropping your back guard when you step-thrust forward. That won't do in a battle of 2 vs 1. Your back guard should never fall. Schiza lazily huffed outside, frustrated at repeating her warning again.

"Sorry, Schiz. I'll pay better attention." Quil returned to the dwarf with a sigh. "She's helped me improve, but I still have lots more to go."

Last edited:
Reactions: Sail and Lylith
Hvitgaar

He paused from his work as she demonstrated... It looked fluid like something the elves would develop, and in fact it was similar to a form of combat the elves used with thinner blades. The dwarves would never perform with such blades, and neither could most humans since the strength of Elven steel outmatched humans so greatly. However, this seemed to capture the basics of the form of combat the elves used and put it to a weapon that could be more easily manipulated in close combat.

The blades themselves were crafted masterfully, by human standards and Hvitgaar saw no reason to replace them... The grip was made of fine metal, and it was thick enough to withstand any blows given by other weapons. He suspected the edge was tempered, but even if it wasn't, it was thick enough that it wouldn't chip even if she threw the weapon into stone, edge first. The bevel on the edge was perfect and there was a shallow fuller along the inside where the blade met the spine that reduced the weight for faster blows by weaker arms. He suspected it would be lighter than it looked...

"Well... You do know how to use your chosen tools. I know exactly what to do now... "

Hvitgaar ignored the metal chest plate and instead went to the rack with the full plated arms... They would cover the wearer form the shoulder down to the fingers with articulated joints that wrapped around the arms completely, using chain and leather and metal studs where flexibility was needed.

He took one last measurement and removed an entire segment, fitting the two now separate pieces together with a pin to make the length of the arm fit the girl... He took a pair of gauntlets that had beautiful and intricate joints with tiny spikes on the back ends of the joints and fitted them over her hands... He laced up the leather straps that ran up the sides of the glove, and fitted a plate over the forearm... After the gloves were on, and the forearm and wrists were protected, he fitted the elbow guard on, and then the plate that covered her biceps, and then one that covered her triceps, encasing her upper arm in metal...

Lastly he fitted a shoulder cap onto the leather harness that attached seamlessly to the rest of her armor... It allowed her to move her arms in any direction without being impeded by a breastplate... The flexible leather harness had no metal attached to her chest, which didn't encumber her with unnecessary weight, but that could easily be changed if she decided to put the breastplate on, or a studded brigandine or chain hauberk. Either would fit easily over the leather harness...

After her arms were protected, he fastened leather tassets around her waist, and fitted shin guards to her legs. Her legs were now covered by dangling leather strips, with metal embedded in them like tiny wedge shaped studs. These covered her thighs and protected them from slashing attacks. Beneath that, she now had metal shin guards that protected her from her knee caps to her feet. They were cupped above the tops of her feet to allow crouching without having the metal cut into the tops of her boots. On the top of her feet was a single plate that protected her foot from being stabbed or cut, though the sides of her feet were unprotected save by her leather boots when she wore them...

"And now... Time for your dragon... "

Hvitgaar took one last look at the armored girl, Quil... He nodded and grinned a half grin making one side of his beard rise a little, and the end of his braided beard twitch. He took quick, short steps that led him outside the shop and to the great purple dragon there.

"For you Schiza I have only one thing as your scales surpass any armor we dwarves could craft for you at your current size... You are yet too small to bear the weight of your rider as well as the plate armor we crafted for Saphira... However, I can offer you a service similar to mine Ascudgamln... He raised his hands and showed his knuckles which had tiny steel spikes in them.

"Wherever you want spikes, we can drill into your scales and embed a spike. We can do this anywhere your scales are of this size... "

Hvitgaar raised his hands and showed the dragon how big her scales had to be to mount a spike

"Or larger... But the main rule is, the larger the spike you want, the larger the scale needs to be, as the thickness of the scale goes hand in hand with the diameter..."

He pointed his gnarled finger from one scale to another as if to show the difference in size and thickness.

"We can also modify your claws and existing spikes, but these modifications will fall off or tear off as you grow and use them. None of these modifications will be permanent. If you decide you don't like them, your scales will fall off as you age..."

Quil-Schiz-Banner_zpsjd0nfqgd.jpg

Fascinated, Quil quietly watched as the masterful craftsman fitted her with various armor as light as a feather and jointed just right for her needs. Far too excited when the process was done, she began to move through her practice form to see how the arms worked for her and to feel how the leather tassels and foot guards moved upon her.

"Not bad at all - needs getting use to though. I've never wore armor before of any kind." Once Hvitgaar seemed satisfied with his work, they moved outside to a very sleepy dragon.

Schiz, better awake. He's ready for you and I do believe he's not going to wait until you're done dreaming. Quil teased as they exited, giving her Sister-Friend fair warning before the two emerged into the cold snow. Schiza sat up, shaking what little dusting upon her back off and gave the Dwarf a long stare as he spoke about her options.

"Wherever you want spikes, we can drill into your scales and embed a spike. We can do this anywhere your scales are of this size... Or larger... But the main rule is, the larger the spike you want, the larger the scale needs to be, as the thickness of the scale goes hand in hand with the diameter... We can also modify your claws and existing spikes, but these modifications will fall off or tear off as you grow and use them. None of these modifications will be permanent. If you decide you don't like them, your scales will fall off as you age..."

With a deep sigh, Schiza tilted her head towards her Rider, What do you think I should do, Quil?

Try small to medium spikes, see how they feel. It's not a bad option, especially since your spikes are still small...

Then that is what I shall do.

Last edited:
Hvitgaar

Hvitgaar worked tirelessly for the next hour or so, taking great care to measure the width of the scales he planned on drilling and making sure that his tools didn't penetrate into the soft flesh beneath.

Each spike was hand crafted right in front of the two, as Hvitgaar took metal rods, heated up an end, and tapered it to a gentle curving point, then heated the other end, inserted it into a machine, and spun it. This created threads on the other end which were then inserted into the drilled socket, and screwed in after a round metal disc was placed, to protect her scale from rubbing against the edge of the metal rod directly.

In some cases the thorny spikes were five and six inches long and would easily protect her sides from anyone who got too close or tried to climb her during battle... Other spikes were a foot or more long, and were placed so that another dragon trying to press her into submission would find a cleverly placed sharp metal thorn preventing them from doing so. These were placed along her spine and back where her hind legs were, as well as along her tail just behind her hind legs...

Once Hvitgaar was done, he showed Quil how to remove them if Schiza ever wanted to be free of the adornments of war. The little holes in her scales were small enough that even without the spikes they wouldn't pose a risk to her as the drill didn't penetrate the scale entirely.

"Because this is her first year, these will need replacing within another year. She will grow in size and so will her scales, but the smaller ones will fall out to make way for the larger ones. When this happens, just come back to me if you wish to replace the spikes as well... "

He smiled, and bowed to Schiza as he finished examining his work. Then he turned to Quil and Schiza both and motioned to the fine dragonscale dust that had piled up in certain places on the floor...

"I am not sure if it is rude to ask, but it would be a terrible thing to let your beautiful scales go to waste... May I?" he picked up a large glass jar and motioned again to the filings that were produced from drilling the holes...

Mother would love to be here, watching this... Watching Hvitgaar work to forge Schiza's spikes and watching him install them was a sight to see. Never has she seen such skill, nor such a heavy task managed so quickly. The dwarf was a true master at his craft, and one Quil knew her Mother would beg to learn from. Those thoughts caused a slight discomfort in her gut, but she ignored it. She's been away from home for a year so far, and more years laid ahead of her - sadness will not shorten the distance. So, she pushed back her thoughts and just enjoyed learning through sight with the hopes to jot all on paper to express to her mother.

Schiza ignored her weary wings as she watched the dwarf closely, insuring that his work did not cause her harm. He worked fast and clean - she didn't feel any pains or discomfort, and before she realized it, he had fashioned a very lovely set of spikes upon her scales.

Um, I can get use to this, she purred. All this pampering and adornment. Master Hvitgaar, you sure know how to spoil a dragon. She turned her head this way and that to glance at her new gear, shaking her body to feel how light they felt.

After receiving Hvitgaar's instructions for Schiza's spikes, he turned to them both and motioned to the fine dragonscale dust that had piled up in certain places on the floor... "I am not sure if it is rude to ask, but it would be a terrible thing to let your beautiful scales go to waste... May I?" He picked up a large glass jar and motioned again to the filings that were produced from drilling the holes...

"I don't think she would mind. Schiza?"

Nodding respectfully, Schiza seemed to smile. For your service to me and my Sister-Friend, I hope my scales bring you blessings beyond their measure.

As Hvitgaar collected the precious dust, Quil sighed, "Well, if we're all set here, where are we to go next? I'm not even sure of the time; have we missed lunch already?"

Last edited:
Eragon

He felt the wind through his hair as Saphira swept over the mountain he now called home. The air was brisk but the magic that filtered the air around him while he flew made it bearable at this altitude. Without that magic, he would have accumulated a frosty buildup on his face and mouth where the moisture from his breath wold have frozen... Saphira didn't mind the cold though, however she preferred the heat of the desert to the cold of the mountains. She said it made her scales tingle and her muscles relax and caused her to feel alive and giddy with life... He knew how it made her feel but he did not share the same affinity for the heat...

"You can warm up by putting on more layers in the snow... But we humans can only take so many layers off before we become... Well... Indecent..."

He had blushed when he explained that to her when choosing the place they would raise the new dragons.

"Besides, neither climate bothers YOU, so we should cater to the needs of the riders in this aspect..."

"That's fine, so long as I have a mountain to perch on... I am tired of sleeping on the ground with my prey... "

Eragon had laughed at that. He knew she loved being higher up. It gave her a view of everything, and it was more comfortable for her, but that only reminded him of a cat who never settles to lay on the ground. They always venture higher up where they can see everything going on around them...

He smiled as he remembered the conversation and Saphira sensed his happiness, though she couldn't have guessed the reason. His smile faded a little as Saphira mentally nudged him and urged him to focus on the task at hand...

"You must call the young riders together. We cannot let them linger without a proper introduction to their new teachers..."

"Yes, I know" Eragon insisted... "But I thought we were going to wait for Arya. She was supposed to be here days ago... "

"You cannot base your actions here on the promises and whims of an elf, however strong your bond with her... She is a Queen now, you know... She has other duties to attend to and may not be able to attend for some time... "

"I know... " Eragon replied, resigning himself to reality...

He sat up a little straighter and reached out slowly with his mind towards the mountain where he expected his new students to be... His mental touch was light, but he knew that his mind was strange now that the dragons had altered him at the Blood Oath celebration. He knew that some might be startled but it was not for his safety that he was careful and reached out slowly...

He finally found the two riders and their dragons. He knew they were only a half second from sensing him too so he did not delay his contact... Eragon reached out with none of his mental barriers up, and spoke so that all of them could hear him at once...

"Atra esterni' ono thelduin... Welcome, young riders, and young dragons, to Hvitr Haedh. I am Eragon... "

"And I am Saphira Bjartskular... " Saphira introduced herself

"We are to be your teachers until you prove you are ready to become Riders."

Serin awoke from his nap to a light touch on his mind, someone speaking..."Eragon!" he loudly exclaimed.

"Kylan, Eragon is speaking! Eragon is finally ready to teach us!" Serin said, reaching out to Kylan's mind.

"I can hear Serin. He's speaking to all on the island. Now, we must speak back to him, show our thankfulness and such." Kylan responded back.

In near unison, with the bonding of Dragon and Rider, Kylan and Serin said, "Master Eragon! Thank you for slaying Galbatorix, and for inviting the Riders to all come! Where do you wish us to go, to begin our training?"

"Kylan, we forgot to introduce ourselves. Eragon is strong, but he can't read minds!" Serin said, still caught up in finally hearing his hero's voice.

"Excuse my Rider, Serin. I am Kylan the dragon, whom is at your service, both Eragon and Saphira." Kylan spoke to Eragon and Saphira both.

Hvitgaar didn't have a chance to respond to Quil's question, for another's voice rang throughout her and Schiza's mind to answer it for him.

"Atra esterni' ono thelduin... Welcome, young riders, and young dragons, to Hvitr Haedh. I am Eragon... "

"And I am Saphira Bjartskular... " Saphira introduced herself

"We are to be your teachers until you prove you are ready to become Riders."

Caught off guard, Quil quickly searched around her as if on alert but realized instantly that the voices were within her mind - and of no threat. Instead, her alertness turned into instant joy. She was about to meet the infamous Rider and Dragon who slayed the beast. Overwhelmed, just like the day she left Eoam for the first time to train with the Elves, her constant fears and self doubts began to bubble over.

Quil! - Breathe. Schiza whispered.

She took a deep breath and let it out slowly before stretching her awareness out to her new instructors. Mor'ranr lífa unin hjarta onr. I am Quilcia Pilaboo of Eoam, and my dragon is Schiza. We are very honored and thrilled to be accepted as your students, Master Eragon, Master Saphira.

Last edited:
Eragon

The rider smiled as his students replied. They had learned well in Ellesmera, and the female named Quil even replied in Elven...

Eragon replied to them both at the same time, a little overwhelmed by all three of the voices..

"I am glad to see you both arrived safely and have made yourselves at home. Please meet me at the top of the keep in the courtyard. I will be waiting for you with Saphira. The fastest way to the top will be to fly."

Eragon sent them a few mental images of them leaving the towers that were their homes, and flying straight up the sheer wall for a hundred feet where the entrance to the largest of the caverns was. It served as a meeting hall and a celebratory hall, but outside there was a massive courtyard which was flat, and clear of all obstacles. A thin film of snow covered the surface of the stone.

"Meet me here, and we will formally meet and begin your training." Saphira concluded

"Did you hear that Kylan! We get to fly for what, thirty seconds? Let's do this!" Serin said in Kylan's mind as he grabbed his sword and slid it into a scabbard on his back. He dashed through the halls of Hvitr Haedh, incredibly excited to meet his hero. Soon enough, he stood at the edge of the cliff, and awaited for Kylan to fly outside. After a few minutes, he saw Kylan's shiny hide, and became even more excited, being filled with the excitement a child has as they eagerly await Christmas...

"Serin, I can extend the flight into a much longer one if you'd like." Kylan spoke to Serin as he came through the large entryway, standing beside of Serin.

"No thanks. Let's do this!" Serin shouted as he climbed atop his dragon. Quickly, they began to rise, then with speed, Kylan flew around the mountain side once, gradually going in a slope. By the end of the circle, they were directly across from the cavern Eragon and Saphira were in, and Kylan flew inside, landing with a thud.

Serin's eyes swiftly widened as he saw his hero in the flesh. "Er...Eragon! I'm so glad to finally meet you!" he thought to himself.

As if someone snatched her breathe away, Quil gasped and staggered at the sudden vision taking over her general view. She had to lean back against Schiza's foreleg to regain her balance, for she still hasn't gotten use to receiving shared visions. Still, catching the mental map of where they should go, she turned to Schiza with a wide grin. I believe we have a hard flight to make. Can you make that height?

We'll find out soon enough. Hop on! Thanking the Dwarf once more, Quil then climbed up to her dragon's back and strapped herself in just as Schiza began to pump her wings and turn towards the wall that separated them from their destination. Are you secured? This is going to be a steep one.

I'm secured... Quil's thoughts raced without her. It wasn't the fear of falling or the worry that her Sister-Friend wouldn't be able to complete the journey up. They ran with its typical negativity, worrying that the Heroes of Alagaesia will see the same within her as most of her village and a few of the Elves she studied with in Ellesmera. Changing that tone quickly, she shook her head, bore down on her saddle and tucked herself close to Schiza's back as she began to climb.

Circling above the towers, they rose and rose higher and higher until they were about midway there. After a while of flight, a cry of pure delight escaped her when she saw just how high they were from the towers. The snowy lands were breathtaking from so high, but far too soon Schiza straightened out their flight pattern and pointed her nose towards the tip of the mountain. They ended their journey by successfully landing in the courtyard above.

Quil climbed down from Schiza. Caressing her dragon's head to gain more encouragement before stepped towards the group of Riders before them. Serin was there with his dragon already, but there was no one else. So, taking everything in, Quil stood before the others and, without even thinking about it, placed two fingers upon her lips as the traditional Elven greeting she was taught by Master Arya.

"Master Eragon, as said before, an honor." Her eyes raised towards the mighty Saphira, a dragon whom stood taller than the others present and almost lost her words. "And Master Saphira, we're double honored, indeed." Both her and Schiza, who stood behind her, lowered their heads reverenly. Schiza was at a lost for words, for the sapphire dragon of legend was the largest dragon she's ever seen.

Last edited:
  • Love
Eragon / Saphira

The duo watched as Serin and Kylan arrived. They thudded onto the stone floor in their rush to arrive... He watched as Serin gawked for a moment and grinned before another dragon and rider arrived. This dragon was purple... Female most likely. Her form was lithe and long. Eragon heard Saphira huff in response, but she suppressed whatever emotions she felt at seeing the other young female dragon.

"Master Eragon, as said before, an honor."

He paused as Quil spoke and then continued

"Welcome, again... " He smiled and presented himself to the young students... He wore his studded gambeson that went on beneath his armor that the dwarves made for him. He had removed the chest piece because it was unnecessary, but the gambeson kept him warm in this cold climate, and he rarely ventured out without it.

"I see you have all visited Hvitgaar already! And I see he has equipped you for the training ahead. But you must remember that as riders you have many weapons... First and foremost is your mind... You must think before you speak. You must think before you act... As riders we have the responsibility to serve and protect all of the races of Alagaesia. We cannot fulfill this massive task if we speak and act without thinking, because every word you utter from here until the day you die will have consequences."

He smiled and laid a hand on Saphira as she took a step closer to him, putting her neck within arms reach...

"But you do not take on this task alone, little ones... You have eachother, and you have us. You will never be alone as Eragon and I were alone. Together you are stronger, and you can rely on your partners strength where you are weak."

Saphira finished with a sparkling glance at Eragon when her eye closed wish a "click" in what could only be a wink...

"To this end, we will be focusing most of your training on teamwork. Between you and your dragon, as well as you and other riders. We expect more to come, but for now you four are to share your knowledge and your experience with eachother. Help eachother. Watch eachothers backs... When your partner doesn't know something, teach them. If your partner is struggling, help them without reserve because it may one day be you who needs the help..."

He finished and took a few steps towards Serin before placing a hand on his shoulder and grinning at him... Then he moved to Quil and mimicked the movement while Saphira moved forwards between the two younger dragons, looking them over and smelling the air where they stood as dragons did... Her tail twitched and flicked the stone of the wall making a sharp noise, but she didn't seem to notice as she smelled Schiza, the slender purple female.

• Love
Reactions: Sail and Phi Chisym
With a bow, Serin said, "Master Eragon, Master Saphira, I am honored to be in your presence. But pardon me for asking, but how are you gonna teach us team work? Like, is there some magical obstacle course or something like that?"

"Serin! This is Master Eragon and Saphira you are talking to! Show a little respect!" Kylan said into Serin's mind.

"Master Saphira, Master Eragon, excuse my Rider for his speediness." Kylan slowly said.

Quil seemed to feel more confident at their masters' words, but even when Master Eragon placed a confident hand upon her shoulder she still felt as if she was way out of her league. She didn't drop her eyes, but held them up high with a reassuring nod, trying her best not to show signs of her natural weakness.

Schiza, however, stood taller in the presence of Master Saphira, hoping to gain her favor by proving her place beside her with hard work and unbeatable determination. But when she senses her Rider's continuous doubts, she knew she'll have a weight upon her heavier than the largest stones. She must insure that Quil grows stronger, or else both of them will become more of a threat to the Legends than a worthy partner.

When Serin questioned their instructors, Quil's brows rose. Honestly, she wondered the same. "Pardon me as well, but I wonder as well. Is there a planned process you went through to learn how to become a Rider? A method of learning about dragons and how to become one with them, to bond and build in trustworthiness to form such teamwork? How did you learn, Master Eragon, Master Saphira, when you were the only two known at the time?" Her lack of knowledge in such things was still present. Even after learning a bit of the history that was written about their adventures, there were still bits and pieces that were never clarified.

• Love
Eragon

He smiled at their questions. He knew the answer as it was plain to him, but he had worked with his elven guards, Arya, the soldiers in the Varden, and even dwarves and urgals when in combat. His time with Du Vrangr Gata also taught him to coordinate efforts with others to achieve a higher goal. All in all, he had worked with many beings when he was fighting to bring down Galbatorix, but these riders needed to focus on working with two people... The other rider and their dragon. They needed to coordinate during training as they would in a battle, to take down a larger foe which they couldn't do alone much like Eragon couldn't have taken down Galbatorix alone, and Arya couldn't have killed Shruikan without the help of Thorn.

"Your questions are warranted. You weren't there during the battles so you don't know how I worked to aid the Vardens efforts on the ground, from the air. I provided intelligence to Du Vrangr Gata from Saphiras back so that Nasuada could send troops where they were needed. All in all, we worked together as a whole to achieve a goal that neither I nor the Varden could achieve alone... No, I didn't have to work with a rider like myself, but I was still apart of a team nonetheless."

As he finished, Saphira sniffed in approval at Schiza and turned her attention to Kylan and began inspecting him in turn. He was larger than Schiza, but he was a male and that was to be expected.

"Now that you have eachother, you will be training as a team. You will be the first pair... You will travel together, study together, eat together, and hunt together. If you enter a fight, you will fight together, and so you should learn to cooperate as best you can. Supplement each others abilities and be strong where your opponent is not.... This is your first assignment as riders in training."

Eragon took a few steps over to Saphira and she knelt, knowing what he was thinking and acting accordingly. Eragon leapt up her side and reached into the saddle bags and withdrew two items, side by side. They were books...

As soon as he had them in his hand he dropped to the ground and strode to Quil and handed her one of the books. Then he turned to Serin and presented one to him as well.

"These books contain a majority of the words in the ancient language. Most of them are conjunctions, adverbs, nouns... Descriptive words to help you create more complex spells. However, you must be very careful when you practice. "

He paused to make sure he had their attention...

"Think before you act... If you are unsure, please contact Saphira, or ask the eldunari here in the hall... They will guide you with their knowledge. Don't cast a new spell on a whim or it could cost you your life, and that of your dragon..."

Saphira growled an affirmative, remembering multiple times when Eragons flippant spell casting had nearly cost him his life.

"When you have mastered these books, I will provide you with more words as you grow more experienced."

He smiled once more, a little less seriously...

"Now go explore! I've filled a library with books, and there is game in the hills to hunt! Enjoy yourselves!"

• Love
Reactions: Phi Chisym
Looking at the book, Serin became overwhelmed with happiness. "Now, I can make better spells!" he thought to himself, "Meaning I can make my fighting style even better. But...Kylan and I must learn to fight in sync so that we can better kill things. '

"Master Eragon, thank you for this gift. I think Kylan and I shall go off to the hills to hunt game, practice our fighting a bit." Serin said with a smile. "Quil, would you and your dragon like to accompany us there? We were told to learn to work together after all."

Status
Not open for further replies.