Dragons of the Mountains (AmazingDan)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Rowena closed her eyes as the treatment started, cheeks flushing warm at Mason standing and looking over at her injuries. She cleared her throat, shaking her head briefly as she tried to ignore the fact her shirt was cut open and he was looking. She knew he meant nothing from it, just concerned about the burns...but having not even held hands with a guy until this moment.

"I wasn't saving the man," she murmured, keeping her eyes closed, "Someone who would try to kill anything or anyone whilst they're tied down and unable to fight back is a coward." She exhaled heavily as some salve was applied to the burns, "It was the dragon I was saving. He was going to kil a dragon that probably had nothing to do with his pain and is now defenseless. Odo is their new alpha. They won't attack anything or anyone nkw unless he commands them. And he won't command them unless I tell him to."

Mason kept his eyes on her face, sensing she wasn't comfortable. But he listened as she spoke, explaining why she saved the dragon, "Really? I've never... seen it that way..." he admitted, "We're not really taught to fight very well, I'll admit that." He nodded, "But you know... that's good to know." He smiled softly, frowning as she whinced, "Do you... want anything? Water? Tea? Food?" He asked, eager to help her recover. He knew Mitch was probably helping others, bless his soul. His little brother was helpful just like him.

She quietly shook her head, keeping her eyes closed as she kept her breathing as even as possible through the pain, "I'm good. But thank you...perhaps...perhaps later." She responded, sounding slightly breathless. She kept a firm hold of his hand, licking her lower lip before finally opening her eyes and glancing across to him, "I'm sorry about your home." She then said softly, studying him briefly as she gave his hand a squeeze, "Odo and I will personally see to a new one being built as soon as the recovery of your village starts."

Mason smiled softly, about to protest but something told him she wouldn't listen, "Thank you." He paused, "You... don't have to be sorry... it's just a home... nothing was valuable in there but my family." He looked down. Where was his dad? He hadn't seen him at all.since the villagers returned. He looked up as Mitch came in, his eyes brimming with tears, "M-mason..." he whispered, sniffling, hugging his brother tightly. The older man blinked and hugged Mitch, bending down to his height, " Hey, what's wrong?" He whispered softly.
"Th-they... they f-found d-dad... but he... he..." he small boy broke out his tears, shaking and zoning into Mason's shirt. Mason blinked and stared at the ground. If Mitch was trying to say whet he thought he was... a sudden wave of grief crossed the young man and he swallowed hard, his throat suddenly feeling dry and his eyes glazing slightly, "Oh gods..." he whispered out hoarsely.

Reactions: Viverescribere
Rowena felt helpless as she watched the two brothers break into tears at the reality of what had happened to their father. She couldn't stand to offer a hug of comfort because of her injuries being treated and she highly doubted they would want any comfort. They needed each other, not a stranger. She could relate to how they were feeling, however, with having lost her entire family to the same hoard of dragons...except perhaps the sister that had moved to another village. "I'm so sorry." She breathed eventually, swallowing thickly.

Mason took in a deep breath, pushing his tears away and sighing, "You don't have to be sorry." He smiled slightly, "These things happen..." He sighed, comforting Mitch the best he could, "He at least left us with the land to farm." He murmured, meeting Rowena's gaze, "It's just life..." He paused, thinking about what they could do for a funeral. He would have to ask about the body and what condition it was in. He would most likely have it cremated and put in an urn or something like that.

"You can go," she said to him softly, biting at her lower lip as she watched him, "Mason you don't need to stay here any longer with me. You ought to go and find...find out about your dad and...prepare what you need to." Rowena continued, clearing her throat awkwardly. Mitch needed him more than she ever would with this sort of situation. He needed to be with what remained of his family...not with some stranger, despite the fact that she would be able to relate to how he was feeling at that moment.

"You can go," she said to him softly, biting at her lower lip as she watched him, "Mason you don't need to stay here any longer with me. You ought to go and find...find out about your dad and...prepare what you need to." Rowena continued, clearing her throat awkwardly. Mitch needed him more than she ever would with this sort of situation. He needed to be with what remained of his family...not with some stranger, despite the fact that she would be able to relate to how he was feeling at that moment.

Mason nodded, standing up and holding Mitch as he did so, "Ok... I'll... I'll check on you when I can." He smiled weakly and turned, walking out of the hut. He could feel people's sympathetic looks towards him and Mitch but he ignored them, heading towards the line of bodies covered by blankets. He knew which one was his dad's; the only one with a real face with little scarring, "What's I like under?" He murmured to the man that was laying them out.
"Uh... His neck is... Pretty bad... His torso too..." The guy sighed and continued on with his work. Mason stared at his father's body for a while, until Mitch had calmed down. He had to find a way to get shelter for the night. A few people had to do the same, but it was everyone for themselves here. There wasn't much they could do.

When he finally left, Rowena stared after him briefly, chewing her lower lip worriedly as she thought about what the two boys would have lost. Just like her. She did wonder why she cared so muh...lots of others would be in the same boat...yet she was mainly focusing on Mason and Mitch. Maybe it was because Mason was the one that found her, offered her help...

Rowena sent a message to Odo before she finally subcomed to exhaustion, asking him to tey his best to find some form of shelter for them and also for Mason and Mitch. Then for him to also help the villagers by doing some heavy lifting after resting and feeding. "My dragon...is going to help. Make sure others know...don't want him being killed by mistake." She mumbled to the Healer as the woman applied the last of the salves and bandages to her injuries.

Mason gently set Mitch down back on the hay stack, "I'm.gotta look for supplies to set up a tent or something... please stay here. I don't want you getting hurt." He kissed his brother's head and stood up straight, brown eyes looking around before heading for the forest, looking for some large branches to use. He had to just keep hid own large size in mind, or it could be goo cramped. They at least had eachother for body heat tonight. The male was soon approaching the forest, keeping an eye out for what they needed.

When she finally woke again, the sun was setting and Odo had been trying to get attention for some time now. Rowena licked her dried lips, throat dry and hoarse after the amount of heat and smoke from the attack. Immediately she was greeted by the Healer softly pressing the edge of a mug to her lips, water splashing against her mouth and she drank greedily whilst being helped to sit up. "You can't do anything strenuous for a few days...those burns need to heal, understand?" The other woman explained as she finally took the mug away. All Rowena could do was nod.

Meanwhile Odo had managed to set up a temporary home for them, manipulating the trees and rocks to how he wanted them, making some of the rocks into a sort crystalized glass. There was a part of a 'wall'missing in her hut, but that was so Odo could access her or rest his head under cover if needed.. He had almost completed one for Mason and his brother, both makeshift huts just on the forest boundary. He called for Rowena to find Mason and bring him to the location, leaving the female dragon rider to finally leave the Healer's hut with an abundance of thanks to the girl for tending to her. Soon she was asking the village people where to find the young man, getting mixed looks of awe, gratitude, annoyance and disgust along the way.

Mason was helping other rebuild parts of homes, where walls had been missing, or windows. He was just finishing up a older lady's window, his bother sitting on a large log, watching him with wide brown eyes. The young boy admired his brother greatly, alwsys eager to learn from him. Mason wiped some sweat off his forehead and smiled, looking at his handiwork, "There. That should hold for a life time." He said with a smile to the lady, trying to mask his sadness. He was kind of failing, because you could see in his eyes how much he was hurting emotionally. "Get some rest, young man. You need it more than me." The lady answered and dissapeared into his home. The Blonde sighed, knowing she was right. The young men walked over to Mitch and ruffled his hair, "Okay... let's find a nice place to sleep, yeah? It's getting dark." He looked up at the few twinkling stars starting to appear in the sky, sighing quietly to himself.

"Mason! Mitch!"

Rowena fought her way through the bustling village which was still continuing to rebuild despite the golden sun being slowly replaced by silver stars. It seemed that those with children and the elderly were the priority first off, with the fit and able all pitching in to help their village grow again. Since she wasn't allowed to do strenuous work, she had Odo pitch in whenever he felt well and rested.

She exhaled heavily once she finally reached them, having reached out to take hold of Mason's wrist softly to stop him and keep him in place. "Odo..." She coughed a little before giving a timid smile, "Odo's made a place up for you and your brother. A proper shelter, it'll protect you for as long as you need it whilst you build up something else. All you'll need is bedding...and blankets. Take it as the beginning of my thank yous. Of our thank yous. Please."

Mason listened to her and smiled greatfully, "Thankyou for the shelter." He said, "You should get some rest yourself, too." The boy watched as Mitch came over and tugged On Rowena's sleeve, "Um... thank you." He said with wide brown eyes and a smile, "Daddy would've liked you very much." He smiled and went back to his sitting spot. Mason chuckled, "Thankfully, getting Blankets and such wont be that hard. Everyone is helping out eachother. It's great." His brown eyes rested on Rowena after scanning the small crowd.

Rowena swallowed thickly at Mitch's words and she forced a faint smile to her lips, winning anyone's approval was what Rowena wanted...so hearing Mitch say that, especially about their father...it was a little emotional to hear. "No, thank you." She answered softly, bringing Mitch into a gentle hug before he left. Her attention then focused onto Mason, whose eyes then staring directly onto her, causing her cheeks to burn slightly. "That's good," she murmured, "Do you....how bad..." She cleared her throat, hand resting lightly at her burned side, "How bad is the...mortality rate? How much is left?" She finally managed to choke out, needing to know. Needing to know if she should have done better, could have done better.

"It's not too bad, honestly. We lost oy about ten to fifteen people. We're small, so it's a small blow, but funerals will be held and such." Mason explained, "It's a lot less then if you haven't been here. I'm sure most of us would've been dead without you." He smiled softly, "Everyone to greatful." He nodded, glancing up to see Mitch holding onto a few blankets and pillows for them, "So... Where is this hut?" He asked, wanting to take a nice long rest after today. Tommorow would consist of rebuilding and funeral stuff. Everyone got cremated in their village so they had to figure some things out.

She lowered her gaze, shifting from foot to foot as she listened to him. An extra fifteen people. Her entire village and now fifteen more on her conscious. Rowena shook her head as he said that the village was grateful, running her fingers through her hair raggedly as she expelled a harsh breath of air. "I should have done more. Should have gotten here quicker. Shouldn't have taken so much time to recover." She merely answered with another shake of her head.

Clearing her throat, Rowena then quickly smiled, shoving her thoughts and pain to the one side for her to mull over when she was finally alone. Or as alone as one can be when sharing shelter with their dragon. She then beckoned for them to follow her before turning and heading toward their old farmland. "I thought it would be better for you if I had Odo build it close to your old home...so you could easily access it for rebuilding and keep an eye on things there." She explained hesitantly.

Mason nodded, "That's very thoughtful of you." He smiled softly, gently resting a hand on her unharmed shoulder, "I understand you're upset that you couldn't save everyone. But really... You've done your best. You've done all that you can, and we are extremely greatful because of that." He patted her shoulder and looked at their hut, stepping inside with Mitch. He nodded quietly to himself in approval. He was so thankful for all she'd done. It did make up for the deeds he'd done for her, even though he never asked for a favor from her. He couldn't be more happy with a persons loyalty. He man helped Mitch set up their bed, and let his younger brother sleep while he gazed outside at the disappearing sun, not quite tired just yet. He wanted to enjoy the last bit of light of the day, ready to start rebuilding tommorow.

Rowena made sure that they had gotten into the shelter well enough, smiling only a little as she bid them goodnight and finally retreated to her own shelter with only Odo as company and warmth. She didn't take any bedding or blankets from the village, not feeling as though she should. She didn't belong to their community...

She fell into a restless sleep, curled up under Odo's wing instead of in the shelter after she realized she wasn't going to get much sleep without the reassurance of her dragon nearby. Her sleep was tainted by nightmares. Her family crying and screaming. The people of her village telling her she should have done more. The Elders staring in disappointment. Even Mason. He was there. Blood covering him. It was easy to tell he was wounded.

She woke with a sheen of sweat on her skin, Odo watching her worriedly and she assured her dragon that she was fine. "I'm going for a walk. Stay and sleep...you need your rest." She stood, shaking herself off and left him to sleep, ending up deep in the forest, alone with her thoughts.

Status
Not open for further replies.