Dragons of the Mountains (AmazingDan)

Status
Not open for further replies.
"You're more than welcome to stay..." Mason blurted, blushing when he realized what he'd said, "I-i mean... you don't have to stay... you know... I'm sure there are villages that need a lot more help than us..." he rubbed the back of his neck, glancing at Rowena in embarressment, "I'm sure traveling is a lot more fun, too."

Rowena glanced up to him again at his sudden reply, flushing slightly herself as he still continued to stutter with the rest of his response. She rested a hand briefly on the spot between his shoulders with a soft smile, "Mason, it's alright. And...thank you. It means a lot that you've offered for me to stay...but I'm not sure what the rest of your village may think." She sighed gently, "As for traveling...Odo and I can do such things in one day. Besides...there's no one around for me to tell about those travels...not anymore. And other villages? Well...what use would a dragon be?"

Mason smiled softly at her, "You saved us... I'm sure they wouldn't mind you staying... And I'm sure... That... You know, many kids would love to hear about your travels. No child had left the village. In fact, I haven't left the village either." He admitted with a shrug, "Also, I personally think Odo is good company, and protection. He's kinda like a big dog. But a lot smarter ad independent." Mason laughed slightly, "Well now I sound silly." He smiled again, looking at Rowena, "Really, what I'm trying to say is Id like you to stay." He blushed, "You're a very good person, you deserve a place to stay at least."

"No you don't. I know what you're trying to say, it's alright." She smiled quietly, "He is a bit like a dog...he's very loyal. He's proven that to me so many times before. He would risk his life for me...I just hope it never comes to that." Rowena peered across to him again, biting her lower lip as she noticed his blushing once more. "I...I appreciate it. I'll...I'll have to speak to your Elders...negotiate something. Perhaps Odo and I could work with the dragons, they could be controlled to help the village perhaps even some of your people could learn to be dragon riders too..."

Reactions: AmazingDan
Mason listened to her intently, nodding in agreement, "Mmmm... That actually sounds fun... Learning to ride a dragon..." He smiled softly, seeing their small camp set up between the trees and bushes, speeding up slightly, "Flying sounds like a lot of fun too. The closest I've been to being in the air is climbing trees. And I can't really climb trees anymore, so..." He shrugged again and stretched, getting out a grunt as his back made a soft pop sound, "I'm sure the Elders won't mind you staying." He added shortly after stretching, yawning and smiling at the sight of Mitch stumbling out of their hut.

"Well the ones that we have in your village now listen to Odo and are young...they can still be trained, especially with Odo and I there to help. Imagine it, your village to be the first whole village of Dragon Riders. You would make history." She glanced to him, eyes bright with the possibility, "Not to mentuon all the benefits they would have for farming, building...it's endless. People just...need ti see past their scary exterior." She smiled fondly, glancing away to see Mitch stumbling over to hug his brother. She faltered briefly, the sight reminding her of her own family and she cleared her throat, "I'll see you both later...I ahould check on Odo."

Mason smiled as Mitch came over, easily picking up the boy in his arms and hugging him back warmly. He was surprised that Rowena was in a hurry when Mitch came overs seemed odd, but maybe she wasn't a kid person like him. He just smiled softly and nodded, "If course... Take care... Let me know if you need anything ... The village people like me a lot for some reason so if you say I trust you, and I do, tell them that, and they should mostly stay out of your hair." He paused, "I'll be fixing up our farm..." He adjusted Mitch, bring the small boy onto his shoulders and heading for their slightly burned and very messy field. His head was whirling with questions about Rowena and his father and the dragons... And also worries about Mitch and what he was going to do now that his dad was gone...
"Dad's not coming back, is he?" He heard Mitch's voice in his ear. He nodded, "Yeah... It was his time..." He said softly.

Rowena found her way back to Odo, her friend worried about her but instead of wishing to talk about it, she merely shook her head and began to check on the burns she had earned herself yesterday. Luckily for her, no infection. Yet. She still had to be careful. Sighing heavily, she sat down beside Odo and took a moment to grieve. Rowena rested her head in her hands and curled up tighter now, the side of her body laying against Odo's side. Then, she began to sob. She cried for her parents. For her her two brothers. For their wives. For the child that'll never be born because of the attack. She would never be an auntie now...not to that child. She would never be able to see the child grown into one like Mitch.

Rowena...you must know...there was nothing more you could have done. Odo's voice broke her thoughts softly as he gently nudged her. She reached out to quietly stroke his snout, sniffling and brushing tears from her face. They would be proud of what you have managed to do for this village...I'm sure of it.

Within minutes, Mason was turning the soil of the farm, turning the burned plants into it, hoping to get some sort of richness from them. The dragons might have ruined their village and killed some people, but at least the crops could be more promising than before, right? He tried to keep his mind off his dad as Mitch watched him, but his dad was all he could think about. Farming with him, their laughs and jokes they had. When they talked as they shucked corn together, watching sunsets and talking about... Everything. The blonde stopped and leaned on his shovel, quickly rubbing away tears that had started to form. He rested his head on his hands and closed his eyes, quickly shaking his head as he thought, his chest tight with tears he was keeping back.

Sooner than she would have liked, Rowena was wandering back into the village by herself. She didn't want Odo following her and accidently causing more damage. Sighing softly, she briefly paused in front of the dragons that were still being contained. Odo was their alpha now, and in that way...she was in control too. She approached a baby cautiously though nonetheless, knowing the damage Odo had accidently done in the past when he was of similar age. Rowena then began to softly stroke the snout, murmuring gently as she ignored some the stares she was earning herself. She could only hope these village people fed and watered the creatures...even after all they had done. These poor things were only following orders from the old alpha...they were not to blame.

Mason slowly sat in the middle of the field and sniffled, staring down at his hands, covered in dirt. He could've kept Mitch and his father with him, then he'd be here. Comforting his brother and making food while he worked. Mason felt the tears start to run down his cheeks but couldn't do much, having dirty hands. He shook his head and glanced up, tears blurring his vision as a few people looked at him with simpathy. He didn't want their simpathy, though. The large man stood and jogged back towards the forest, back to his hiding spot where no one could bother him.

Rowena, on the other hand, was rapidly blinking away her own tears ao they wouldn't fall. She was focusing on what she had become distracted by with the dragons. She had walked into the middle of them all, posture strong and tall to display a dominance to the creatures that she did actually have some power over. With Odo being their new alpha, and she his rider, she could exercise some control over them now. She was aware of some people within the village coming to watch, still at a safe distance on the sides as she had the dragons formulate a circle around herself. There was one rebellious creature, smoke burning from it's.mouth and nostrils so she gave it her undivided attention, hand outstretched toward it and palm facing toward it in a 'stop' sign. Not once would she break eye contact with it until it's head finally lowered and the smoke stopped.

Infront of that crowd was Mitch, who probably looked the most interested and the most in awe. He was small but he definitely had a big heart, and he was excited to see Rowena train the dragons. But one thing was missing: Mason. The little boy almost was always with Mason. By choice, of course, but he was a lot more reckless without Mason. Louder, impulsive, and constantly fidgeting. In fact, he thought his brother went into the woods for some fire wood for later, no aware of how Mason was taking their father's death just yet.

When she finally noticed Mitch by himself, she was softly sttoking the snout of a yearling, murmuring softly to the young creature as her gaze caught that of Mitch's. Rowena then, after a moment of hesitation, called him over, beckoning him to join her. Of course a few warning looks were dished out to nunerous dragons, along with harsh words in a language he wouldn't understand...but those dragons bowed their heads in submission, allowing Mitch to join her in front of the yearling. "Want to touch him? He's just growing out of the baby stage of growth...still impressionable."

Mitch gasped and nodded quickly, walking over carefully and standing next to Rowena, "He's nice?" The young boy asked, partly still not sure of the beasts that had killed his father, but still more trusting of them than anyone in the village, including his brother. He slowly reached his small hand out to touch the scaly beast, brown eyes wide with curiousity.

"He is now. Odo is their...commander and in that respect, I am too. They'll listen to me. They will not hurt you." She assured him kindly, smiling fondly down to him as she stroked the back of his hair. "It's okay...I'm right here." Rowena continued to assure him. The beast startled slightly at Mitch's touch before a low and soft rumble vibrated through the creature, his snout pushing back against Mitch's hand as if to encourage more petting. "You know he's only a few years younger than you..."

Mitch jumped slightly when the dragon rumbled but relaxed and grinned as the beast leaned into his hand, gently starting to pet it's nose, "Really?" The blonde boy grinned happily, then looked up at Rowena, "It's a boy?" He asked curiously, gazing back to the dragon. He was just fascinated by the large animals, he wished Mason had come with him to look at them. He boy slowly let his hand slide off the dragons nose, "I wish Mason had come with me." He said softly, "He would've liked this a lot, too..."

Unable to help it, she gave a proud smile as she saw how well Mitch was coping with the beast but with how well the dragons were behaving. Especially the creature who Mitch was petting. Her smile then turned fonder as he spoke and Rowena looked down to him. "Yes, he is. And he seems to like you too." She commented gently, shaking hair from her face. Her brow then furrowed and she tipped her head to the side, "Where...where is Mason? Why isn't he with you?"

Mitch rubbed his arms, "He said he was going to the woods... To relax or somethin. Didn't say how long he was gonna be gone so..." He shrugged, "I'm sure he's okay... He can take care of himself..." The blonde boy went back to gently petting the dragon. Of course he was worried about his brother but he also knew Mason was well acquainted with the forest and could easy defend himself if needed. And if Rowena wanted to look for him he wouldn't stop her.

Rowena turned her body slightly to peer back toward the forest as Mitch continued to fuss the beast. She wanted to go look for Mason but she also didn't feel comfortable enough to leave Mitch alone in the crowd of them. "I'll go have a little check up on him later...you look happy here, wouldn't want to ruin your fun." She smiled gently, ruffling his hair playfully. The dragon raised his head briefly and shook his head softly with a low groan before getting comfortable again and nudging Mitch as if demanding him to continue.

Status
Not open for further replies.