Dragons of the Mountains (AmazingDan)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just as he spoke to have Odo hurry, her dragon's voice rumbled through her mind. "Already here." She informed him, immediately heading outside to find Odo waiting in all his pride. She could only hope he had had enough time to rest up from their previous flight. Jumping onto his back, Rowena seemed to slip into another version of herself. The Dragon Rider. Her expression hardened as she prepared for the battle ahead and reached dow to snatch a sword from the approaching armorary wagon. "Let's go!" She commanded to Odo who was soon in the air after a few powerful flaps of his wings.

Mason managed to grab a shield; he still had his bow and arrows on him so he would be fine, as long as the shield did its job. The Blonde was heading for his house, to see if Mitch and his dad was gone. He'd prefer them to be gone, then he knew they were safe. But he didn't get there quite in time and had to pull the shield in front of him as a dragon blew flames all over his house, burning it to ash. He gritted his teeth has he still felt the heat on his arm holding the shield, but he could only stare at what the dragon had left behind. Yes, he was angery. But he couldn't just attack a dragon. That was a dumb idea.

As Mason witnessed the burning of his family house, so did Rowena and she felt the urge to get some form of revenge for him. Her teeth gritted as she was reminded of seeing her own home light up in flames, of watching everything she held dear being destroyed before her. Odo was in tune to her thoughts and soon both dragon and his rider were crashing down on the dragon that took away Mason's home. The screeches and roars that came from the brief battle were enough to make anyone cover their ears. Whilst Odo kept the beast occupied, Rowena was forced to drive her sword through it's heart. Theey had attempted communicating with the pack previously...but they were forced to take violent measures as the peaceful kind were not to work.

Mason inky knew of one thing to do, and that run. He headed for the forest, where he'd met Odo and Rowena, the grass and plants still flattened from where the best had been sitting. The Blonde placed himself on a log and looked down at his feet. His house was gone. He didn't know where his dad and brother were, and he was alone. Of course he didn't expect the girl to come back for him, she had her thing to do. He had to find another village and hope he could find his family eventually. Mason stood and peered through the trees, catching glimpses of his burning village, making his chest tighten and his heart hurt. Most of it... burned.

Her village wasn't a fighting one. Perhaps that is what made a difference. This village had swords and arrows and even nets to pull members of the attacking hoard down. The Elders must have gotten a word out to the rest of the village to keep an eye out for her since the retaliating attacks happened around her. Rowena actually felt remotely optimistic. This village had a chance. Sure, half of it was already burning...but two thirds of the dragon pack were already down, dead or being dealt with.

Her heart stilled with fear when she recognized a familiar yet small figure in the clutches of one dragon that had just taken off. Mason's brother. Mitch. "Odo, go. Go!" Rowena pushed him toward the dragon, soon engaged in another fight. The poor boy looked like he could drop dead with the terror on his face as he screamed and shouted and cried, wriggling in the dragon's grasp. It wasn't long before the dragon had released Mitch and the boy yelled as he dropped toward the ground. Rowena jumped from Odo's back, catching the boy mid-air and cushioning his fall by holding him against her stomach as she took most of the impact, luckily her momentum of catching him changing their path toward a hay stack. "It's okay, it's okay." She assured him, stroking his hair softly as he whimpered against her chest, shaking as he clutched hold of her.

Rowena picked him up, adrenaline making her forget about her previous weakness as she kept the boy tucked to her chest. Odo had brought the dragon down by then and soon found her with his gaze. Help me get Mitch to Mason. Rowena informed him, racing over to him and hopping onto his back, Odo catching Mason's scent and raced toward the forest to reunite the brothers.

Mitch was still breathing heavily and shaking, he shook even more when they lifted up into the air. He was already afriad of heights, and being attacked by a dragon didn't help. He also had a cut on his arm from the creature but it wasn't too bad. It hurt him but it wasn't awful, "I-i w-want Mason..." he cried, tears starting to push through onto his skin, running down his cheeks in a quick stream, "I-i want M-Mason..." he whimpered again. The little boy was confused and scared, and he knew his brother would make everything okay.

Mason himself didn't know what to do. He had half a mind to go back, but surely his family had left? He bit his lip and looked at the ground. He was such a coward for leaving like that. He wasn't the fighting type but still. He could've tried to help others escape at least. He Blonde rubbed his face and shook his head quietly.

"I know, I know, sweetheart." Rowena soothed him softly as Odo continued toward the forest, rubbing his back with one hand as she held onto Odo with the other. "We're finding Mason for you now, don't worry. He's in the forest after looking for you and your father. He's safe." Her gaze flickered to the cut on his arm and bit her lower lip. She wouldn't be able to deal with that, Mason would have to tend to it.

Soon Odo landed and Rowena slipped from his back, carrying Mitch after getting directions from her dragon as to where Mason was. "Mason? Mason! I have Mitch!"

Mason looked up when he saw Rowena with Mitch and sighed in relief, "Oh my gods, thank you!" He said and started to walk over. Mitch wiggled out of Rowena's arms and ran to Mason, quickly jumping into his bigger brother's open arms, still shaking and crying, "It's okay... it'll be alright..." he soothed softly, smiling softly at the girl infront of him, "Thank you so much." He told her softly, his gaze shifting to the ground, "So much for staying here..." he mumbled, not sure if the village was even safe anymore. It would take a while to rebuild, and most of their fields were gone. He should've taken Rowena sooner. He snapped out of his thoughts when he saw the cut on Mitch's arm and set him on a large rock. " Lemme see." He said gently, looking over the cut.

Rowena wrapped her arms around herself as she watched the brothers for a moment, swallowing thickly as it brought up memories of her own siblings. She walked a few feet away to collect a few leaves before returning, not daring to meet his gaze less he saw the tears glistening, threatening to spill down her cheeks. "Chew these for a moment or two and then apply to the cut." She told him quietly, holding out the leaves before returning to Odo once they had been taken. "Stay safe. Head further away. I'll do my best to help save your village." She finally raised her gaze to his face as she climbed back onto Odo's back, studying him and then Mitch before having Odo take off to rejoin the battle.

"Thank you." Mason said with a soft smile as she handed him the leaves. He took them gently from her hand, watching as Rowena mounted her dragon, "Be careful!" He called after her, hoping she wouldn't do anything stupid to put herself in danger. Mason focused back onto his brother, chewing the leaves and gently putting them on the wound, "Here, keep your arm there." He said as he looked through his bag. He soon found some fabric and handkerchiefs, using those as a banadge.

It was a miracle that anything of his village remained once the fight was over. Smaller dragons, along with those that had been distinguised by Rowena as babies, were captured and tied down for her to look over later with Odo who would take command over them as their new alpha. Bodies were carted away to be identified and the carcasses of dragons were towed away also to be either thrown into the sea or buried. It seemed like just under two thirds of the buildings survived the attack, including the Elder's Hut. Casualties were heavy also but the death toll was minor compared to what could have happened.

The scent of smoke stained her skin and sweat tracks traced down whatever soot that was caked on her features as wisps of hair messily framed her face as she walked through the contained dragons, Odo not too far away. The remaining villagers had been found by then and had been informed that it was safe to return. That was what caused the problem.

One idiot, probably driven by the recent news of a deceased loved one, ran toward one of the contained dragon. He practicay screamed bloody murder as he charged, sword in hand, toward the nearest netted beast. "No!" Rowena yelled, rushing to shove the male out of the way and disarm him before reaching the creature. The dragon, whom Rowena would argue was then just using their form of self-defense, decided then to breath fire. Rowena, in the place of the offending man instead, took the hit. Immediately Odo was there to put out any flames whilst the heat seared at her skin all on the left side of her body. Knees giving out, Rowena collapsed and went into shock, almost passing out with the pain as Odo curled himself around her, snarling and hissing at whoever tried to get close to her. There was no one whom he trusted other than Rowena...but maybe, just.maybe a certain farm boy. But he didn't know where he was...possibly attending to his brother still.

Mason was just walking towards the village, carrying Mitch so he wouldn't have to walk to far. He was about to approch Rowena, but she ran off towards and idiot male to protect him. He quietly snorted in surprise but refused to get angry in front of his little brother. The blonde set Mitch down on a straw pile, "Stay here. Don't move." He said firmly and jogged over, "Rowena?!" He called, ignoring the people's calls telling him to stay away from Odo. The boy looked up at Odo, "You have to let me look at her. If it gets infected she could get really sick." He spoke to the dragon, gradually getting closer to him, his eyes locked into Odo's face, "Please?" He asked, hoping her burns weren't too bad. It would be pretty awful if her whole side was permanently scarred, because that wouldn't be a fun thing to deal with.

Odo growled for a few more moments, keeping his gaze locked onto Mason as he considered what he ought to do. He knew the farm boy was right and whilst he was...growing used to him, it was still difficult to just easily allow him access to the only person he did fully trust whilst she was injured and badly hurt. With a final, low grumble, Odo broke eye contact from Mason and set it on the crowd as he pulled away from the position he had set himself up in, body fully curled completely around Rowena.

The Dragon Rider, on the other hand, was shivering from shock and the pain. Some parts of her clothes on the left side of her body were midly smouldering from where Odo put out the flames. Black spots bounced around in her vision and she blinked a few times to focus onto the approaching figure. "Mason," she managed to get out, actually unable to move, "What...what are you...s'dangerous."

Mason crouched next to Rowena, "It's ok... It's fine here." He smiled slightly but looked over he burns, "It's not too bad... But I can't fix you..." He looked at the crowd of people. He needed the healer, but he wasn't sure where she was. The blonde chewed his lip, "I'm gonna pick you up, okay? It might hurt but I'll try not to hurt you too much." He smiled softly and gently lifted her up, trying to keep her good side against him and her bad side facing away from him, "We have to get you some where safer." He murmured, mostly to himself. He sighed in relief once the healer stepped forward to look at the girl, not touching her so not to piss off Odo.

Reactions: Viverescribere
Choking on a cry as he picked her up, she pressed her face into his shirt hard, swallowing back noises of pain which atill came out a little muffled either way. She felt Odo nuzzle the back of her head wiith a low and concerned mumble but Rowena didn't dare move her left arm to stroke him. I'll be okay, get away from the crowd and track my scent to wherever they take me...okay? Rowena told him gently through their link, not trusting the village people for now.

At least that gave the Healer to touch her, causing her to groan and squeeze yer eyes shut. "I'm going to have to reveal the left side of her body...I can't see the extent of the damage otherwise. Mason, can you carry her to my hut for me?" The Healer asked, looking to the young man.

Mason nodded to the healer and followed her to the hut. He hoped Rowena would be okay, he'd just met her but she seemed like a nice girl that had been through some tough times. He gently set her down onto the long wooden table, careful to not touch her wounds, "The Healer with help you, I promise. As long as Odo and me are here, you're safe." He soothed gently,pulling a stool up next to her, to watch the Healer. If Odo couldn't watch her, he would watch her for him.

Rowena turned her head to look at him, blinking a few times to keep her eyes in focus and fully trained on him.To her, it was remarkable how long he had remained by her side or at least depth of his commitment to help her. She clumsily reached out to grab his hand, grateful he was sat on her good side so nothing hurt as she reached out for him. "Thank you," she said quietly, "For everything. I know this day has been hard for you too. You don't have to stay...get back to Mitch, the poor lad is probably terrified...he's family, he needs you more. Go find your father too. I'll...I'll be okay..." Rowena offered him a smile that just showed as clear as day that she was still trying to be strong, flickering slightly as the Healer began to cut the other side of her shirt to reveal the burns but still keeping her modesty hidden.

Mason watched as she grabbed his larger hand, looking at her as she spoke, "It's alright, I trust the village people to keep an eye on him. He knows where I am if he needs me." The boy smiled softly, "Besides, you need to worry about recovering right now. Burns are scary." He said and shrugged slightly. What else could he say? Sure, she was older than Mitch, and tougher, but right now she was vulnerable. And hopefully he could tell Odo his Rider's situation.

Her hand tightened around his before loosening as the Healer placed a cool rag against the burns, gritting her teeth against the pain of it before relaxing as it soothed the previous pain. She didn't know how bad things were since the Healer wasn't making any comment whatsoever as she worked on Rowena's injuries, but she wasn't stupid...she knew it was going to leave some scarring in some places. "I'm buried under so much debt," she murmured eventually, tipping her head back onto the table and exhaled heavily, "I owe you many things that I'm afraid I won't be able to make it up to yoh. I owe your village people, both for accepting me and Odo but also because I didn't...didn't do my job well enough. I owe your Healer for tending to me. I owe your Elders for hearing me out. I'm afraid this lifetime won't be long enough to repay my debts."

Mason started shaking his head, "No no no... You don't owe me anything. Please." He smiled softly, "I'm doing this out of the kindness of my heart. I do care about people." He took a deep breath, "You don't have to pay me back for anything, really." He lightly rubbed her hand when she flinched, standing up to take a look at the burns, "It's not too bad." He murmured. Her skin was blistered and red, some places looked a little twisted and scarred but it could've been a lot worse, "It was very brave of you to save that man, even though what he was doing was stupid." He said, brown gaze shifting to her face, out of modesty.

Status
Not open for further replies.