Dragons of the Mountains (AmazingDan)

Status
Not open for further replies.
It felt like her chest constricted at the question and she struggled to breath as images of her village burning, people screaming and the scent of blood and burned flesh came back to mind. At the last thought, she even gagged, pressing a hand to her mouth before chugging down the rest of the water she had left. She wanted Odo instantly. None of the people around her in this village could comfort her. Probably wouldn't want to either.

She gasped for breath a few times, suddenly extremely warm and kicked the blankets off her. "Eldric. I'm...I was from the village of Eldric. But...but it doesn't exist anymore." Rowena's voice had become thick with tears and her smile watery as she refused to cry in front of the little boy. Everyone and everything she knew was gone, she couldn't even save her own family. What kind of a daughter was she? What kind of a Dragon Rider was she?

Mitch frowned and jumped off his bed, walking over and hugging her. He hadn't ment to upset her, "Sorry, I didn't know." He said softly, hoping she wouldn't be upset at him. He pulled away from the girl and smiled softly. He was about to speak, but he heard Mason come in and nodded his good-bye to her before running off, giving her one last glance.
Mason grinned at the little boy, "Hey buddy." He ruffled his hair and walked into the bedroom, pushing the curtains back, only to see an upset Rowena, "What's wrong? Mitch didn't say anything rude, did he?" He knew his brother could be rude when he didn't know it and bring people to near tears. He was hoping this wasn't the case.

Rowena inmediately shook her head, bot wanting his apologies, "It's not your fault. I'm fine. Honestly. Like you said, you didn't know." She responded, awkwardly patting his back as he hugged her. She barely knew the kid and his was embracing her...he was offering comfort and condolences. "Honestly, I'm alright. See? No tears, no crying. Thank you, though.."

She watched as he ran off, swallowing back a multitude of hiccuping sobs as the rest of reality continued to hit her. No more of her mother's tender hugs. No more of her father's booming laughter. And her brother...no more teasing and joking. Oh gods. His wife...the little one she was carrying. Rowena wrapped her arms around herself, breathing harshly before sharply looking up at the sound of Mason's voice. "N-no. No he's fine. Please don't scold him. He...he just asked about my..." She pushed her fingers raggedly through her hair as she exhaled hard, "About my village. It's...it's painful..."

Mason nodded, "No. I understand." He smiled softly, sitting across from Rowena, "I was going to take you to the elders so you can not only warn them, but ask if Odo can stay closer to the village rather than hide in the woods..." He cleared his throat quietly, "I see you've been feed. But I'm willing to leave when you feel it's nessecary..." His eyes drifted away towards Mitch's laughter from the kitchen. He didn't know what he would do if he lost his family.

"It's necessary now." She commented quietly, knowing that the safety of this village mattered more than her getting a few more hours rest. She threw her legs over the side of the bed, having to pause there momentarily due to some dizziness before finally pushing herself to her feet and holding onto the wall. Rowena sighed, squeezing her eyes shut and then opening them again as she took a step toward him, "I must see your Elders now. Every moment I waste is another moment the possible destruction of your village gets closer. I can't...I can't allow that to happen."

@AmazingDan

Last edited:
Mason looked up and nodded, standing with her with a sigh, "Okay, let's go to them." She stretched and cracked his back with a sigh, "Come on, I'll lead you to the Elders." He smiled softly, pushing back the curtain for her quietly. Hopefully she felt much better than when he brought her the hour before, "By the way, Odo is doing fine. I think he liked his deer that I brought back." He was still a but sweaty and a little tired, but a short walk would be fine.

Rowena paused as he pushed the curtain open for her, her hand reaching out to hold onto the wooden beam that framed it as she turned back to look at him. Her legs still felt relatively weak, but at least she could walk now. It would still be a while before she was like how she was before she fled...but it would take time. "I appreciate it," she smiled quietly, "I'm deeply grateful for everything you have done for myself and Odo...I'm indebt to you, Mason." She spoke softly, reaching out after a breath or two to lightly squeeze his arm. "I can imagine you are tired...you don't have to come with me.."

Mason shook his head quickly, "I might be tired, but I'll be fine, honest." He smiled, "It's a short walk, it'll be okay." The male dropped the curtain and walked towards the door, soon realizing what she's said before, "Oh no, you don't have to do anything in return." He said with a soft smile to the female, "It was my pleasure. I'd hate to think of you two out there alone, not being able to get food or water." He answered, heading away from his house with Rowena, "We will most likely send you away with supplies once you're well enough to travel anyway." He smiled softly again.

His words made her pause inside as they comtinued to walk, leaving her looking down at her feet rather up to meet the curious stares that came from the people of his village. On her way...What was 'on her way' now? Where would she go after this? If they managed to defeat this Dragon Hoard that was approaching...where would Rowena go? Where would she and Odo stay? No village would want her, especially with a dragon in tow. Her village was destroyed. There was nowhere for her to go.

But instead of saying all of this, she looked up to him again with a small, if pained, smile and nodded quietly. "Thank you. Your generosity has been truly outstanding. Even Odo asked me to thank you and trust me...it's difficult to make an impression on the overgrown lizard." She joked lightly with a fond smile.

Mason blinked, "Uh. I think he thanked me in his own way when I was catching my breath with him..." He shrugged, "He let me pet his neck a little. Is that a good sign?" He asked, suddenly curious. Where all dragons untrusting of new humans? He'd imagine so, based on the things they can do, even though Dragons can really do much more. He was sure if his village messed up, Odo would be here in a heartbeat to defend his rider.

Rowena looked to hin inmediately with surprise. She had told Odo to behave when around Mason...but she hadn't expected that of him. "That...that is a good sign, he doesn't let anyone just pet him when it's his decision. I mean, he will when it's young kids because I tell him too just so they know not to be afraid of him but...he's not as...relaxed around people our age," she gave him a soft smile, "That is a very good sign indeed." It was different for Rowena...she had raised Odo since he hatched so he knew she could be trusted. Throughout the years, the only people he had willingly allowed to touch him had been her family. That was it. For Mason to touch him...thay was something.

Mason blinked, "Huh... wow... are all dragons like that?" He asked, curious. Maybe she knew a lot of things about dragons. No one here in the village knew anything about them. The Blonde looked up as he could spot the Elders hut just outside of the other houses. He wondered what they would decide. Probably evacuate the village and sent them somewhere.

"Well it depends," she began to explain, keeping her eyes on her feet as they walked, her arm occasionally brushing Mason's so ahe knew when he would change direction, "If a dragon has had negative experiences with humans, raised badly by them...abused and starved...then they would put all humans under the category as a threat." She pulled lightly at a small braid in her messy hair before trying to comb it all with her fingers to make herself look as presentable as possible. "But if they're used to humans...better experiences and whatnot...obviously it'll be different. Then you have dragons like Odo...belonging to riders. But he's a grumpy thing anyway." She chuckled fondly.

(Sorry, I don't know what that reply was. XD)

Mason listened intently, keeping his soft brown gaze on her as she spoke, "Oh... so they kinda work like dogs trust wise. Of they're treated bad, they don't trust humans..." he nodded and smiled, looking up as they approached the Elders hut, "Well, here we are." He looked at Rowena, "Would you like me to come in with you? I don't mind, got nothing better to do." He smiled softly again, eagerly awaiting her answer. He understood if she wanted him to leave.

Reactions: Viverescribere
"Basically just how every animal responds to human interaction. It just takes time and patience. I was lucky...I found Odo when he was in his egg, I was there when he natched and I raised him since then. We're inseparable." She pausd, throwing a glance over her shoulder toward the forestry "Well...basically." Her nerves ground her stomach as she looked back and found herself in front of the Elders hut. Rowena swallowed hard, but there wasn't anyone she could turn to really. Just Mason. But she hardly knew him. Hesitating, she glanced across to him before nodding quietly, "I'd like you to come in with me." She answered quietly, feeling Odo's soothing presence being made in her mind.

Mason nodded and walked in with her, watching as about four elders turned to look at him with a chuckle and a grin, "Mason!" One laughed and greeted him kindly, "She's not my girlfriend... She came here to warn us." He said quickly. He could see their disappointment in their eyes but more concern for what Rowena had to say. The older man sighed and looked at the girl, blinking slowly, "What's your name young lady, and why have you come?" He asked carefully and slowly. Mason stood in the background, watching the two quietly.

Rowen's cheeks burned hotly at the fact Mason had to explain immediately that she was of no romantic interest to him, leading her to also then wonder if he was like her. No one in their lives romantically with most of the people in their villages wondering and worrying about them. She then quickly focused onto the Elders and awkwardly rubbed her hands together. "My name is Rowena and...I'm a Dragon Rider," she took a deep breath in, "My dragon is hidden in your woodlands and we mean no harm. We've come to warn you of the incoming attack on your village from a hoard of dragons..."

That's when they all heard it; rumbles and screeches in the distance, along with the sound of flapping, "Oh no... no no no..." Mason stepped out, frowning as people watched, "Get out of here! They're coming to kill us!" Those words sent people towards the woods, gathering their children and such. The Blonde came back in, looking at the Elders, "We'll stay, it's alright." They seemed to have no issue dying. So he looked at Rowena, "We have to go to Odo." He said urdgently.

Rowena went motionless at the sound of the screams of warning and theaplroaching flapping of wings, feeling her breathing hitch as she sharply spun around to face the open door. Odo, leave the forest but go around the village to the hut at the edge of the village boundaries. I'm there. Hurry.

Rowena turned back to the Elders after getting Odo's acknowledgement, "My dragon is on his way." She informed them along with glancing to Mason, "We'll protect your village at any cost. They have already destroyed my own, I won't allow another to be lost to fire because we weren't quick enough to get the message you."

Mason listened to her, blinking, "Okay... I trust you." He said softly, stepping outside to keep an eye on things. He could see the approaching dragons, and his heart raced. He could only hope Mitch and his father were heading off for a villege they trade with often, even though it was pretty far away. He could only hope, because he had to protect his home. Their hard work wasn't just going to disappear without a fight. He glanced back at the Elder's hut, jumping when he saw a house catch fire on the fair side of the villege, "Rowena, you might wanna tell Odo to hurry..."

Status
Not open for further replies.