Dragons of the Mountains (AmazingDan)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Mitch grinned as she ruffled his hair, "Okay." He said, looking at her. He blinked and giggled when the dragon nudged him, making him stumble but he really didn't mind and continued to give the beast attention, his brown eyes eagerly locked onto the dragon, "Do they have names?" He asked curiously, "They should have names. Like good ones.' He giggled, gently holding her sleeve with his free hand, "Pleaaaaaaaaase?"

Rowena laughed softly at his excitement, both amused and mildly pleased with how well the two were getting along. It reminded her of when Odo was that age... It couldn't be possible though...one had to be with a dragon from it's birth...surely...

Not always...Odo's voice broke her thoughts, we were just lucky. You found me before I had hatched but a dragon...we can choose our rider at any time.

She snapped out of her thoughts as Mitch held onto her sleeve and she provised her full attention. She smiled fondly, "Most of the time they will already have names. We just need to find out what they are." She explained as her own hand moved to rest against the side of the youngling's head. Rowena then held out her hand for Mitch's hand, "How about what we find out what his name is, hm?"

"We... We can do that...?" He grinned and bounced on his heels, "How?!" He giggled, even more excited and eager than before. Mitch was young, and didn't know much about dragons, not had he seen one up this close before. The thought of actually being able to communicate with the beast just got him more hyped, "Can you talk to all dragons? Like... like a dragon whisperer or somethin?"

"Like I said, Odo is their alpha now...whatever he hears and that I want to know...I will hear. Give me your hand, it'll be like Odo telling you his name through me. So you have that name all to yourself until you want me or anyone else to know. How does that sound?" Rowena chuckled lightly at his eagerness, hand still held out for him to take. Odo was on standby, ready for the moment the information needed to be transferred. "With Odo's help I can talk to them, understand them...help them. They're not as bad as tales tell, Mitch. Not with the right attitude and behaviour."

Mitch took her hand and nodded excitedly, "Thst sounds great!" He giggled softly. The small boy looked up at Rowena, "I wanna learn everything about them! And... And I wanna ride them, like you ride Odo. It's really cool!" He laughed, but soon quieted down so he was ready to hear this dragon's name. He figured it would be better to know who he was. Like meeting a person. You may or may not meet them again, but it's good to put a name to the face .

Smiling quietly at his eagerness, she gave his hand a light squeeze, "Perhaps you will...how about we find out what his name is and what he's thinking?" Rowena asked, finding his excitement rather infectious. Upon closing her eyes and focusing, she soon locked on to what she needed and exhaled softly as the dragon's thoughts came through.

This small human. Small human...Mitch? My name is Tessith. This small human...is he mine? She could feel that question directed toward Odo and thus decided to close down their link so the two beasts could have a private discussion.

"There. How about that? His name is Tessith." She chuckled, retracting her hand from the dragon's head and faced Mitch instead as the beast curled up with a low huff.

Mitch watched the Dragon as he heard this thoughts and smiled, "Tessith. I like that name. Tess for short." The small boy grinned, "I'll tell Mason when he gets back..." He trailed off when he saw an old lady, is old daycare teacher, wave to him, motioning for him to come eat some food. He nodded and hugged Rowena, "Thank you!" He giggled and smiled bightly before running off. He would try and see the dragon everyday, if Rowena or Mason would come with him. He stole one last glance at the girl and so dissapeared with the lady to the firepit, where some meat was cooking and bread was being kept warm. He frowned slightly as Mason wasn't here but once again, he remembered Mason could take care of himself.

Watching him run off, Mitch had given her an idea. Perhaps all these dragons could find riders...just as Tessith had so obviously done with Mitch. What if this village could become the first Dragon Rider village. Of course she understood their could be some backlash at first, with people wanting nothing anythinf to do with the beasts that killed loved ones or destroyed homes and livelihoods...but it could work out. The dragons could pull their own weight, help with protecting the village if anything should ever happen...possibilities were endless.

Shaking her head clear, she left the dragons behind with a firm word to ensure their behaviour was good. She would worry about her crazy idea later...she had something else to worry about. Someone else. And apparently, according to a younger brother, that someone else was hiding away in the woods. Of course it had something to do with the loss of his father...Rowena was very much the same. Only she couldn't go out alone...not after everything. With the Elders not knowing her and the villagers probably not sure if they could trust her... she didn't really want to make anyone any more suspicious than they already were by skulking off to the forest, even if it was only to grieve.

Reactions: AmazingDan
Mason sat in silence in his little hide-out he'd shown Rowrna earlier. He stared out at the sparkling water, knees pulled tightly to his chest and his cheeks a little wet from crying. He sniffled softly andwy out a sigh, watching the ducks and birds and rabbits. Mason still felt that his father's death was all his fault, and it was just bugging him and remaking him upset. He would never heard his voice again, or his smiling fAce. Mason shook a little as more tears got through and shook his head, moving his head between his knees as he cried just a littler more.92

Rowena stopped by Odo to assure him that she was okay and to tell him to go stretch his wings and find something to eat. She didn't want him to have to worry about her or let his health deteriorate because she was running around with Mitch or searching for Mason. After that was sorted, she traced the steps back to the hideaway he showed her, slowing down as she saw his hunched up figure and heard the soft sobs. "Mason...?"

Mason quieted at the sound of his name and quickly wiped the tears away, gathering himself with a few sniffles, "Hey Rowena." He smiled weakly, "What's up?" He murmured, crossing his legs, but not really moving from his spot, "Sorry for dissapearing... I just needed some space, you know?" He said, tapping the edge of the water with his fingers, waiting for her to say something. Call him a crybaby, or weak, or just make fun of a guy like him for crying. He didn't like crying in front of people, they always looked at him funny or rolled their eyes. And he was not about to cry in front of Mitch. But he had no idea what Rowena would think of him. Hopefully she wouldn't be upset.

Mason quieted at the sound of his name and quickly wiped the tears away, gathering himself with a few sniffles, "Hey Rowena." He smiled weakly, "What's up?" He murmured, crossing his legs, but not really moving from his spot, "Sorry for dissapearing... I just needed some space, you know?" He said, tapping the edge of the water with his fingers, waiting for her to say something. Call him a crybaby, or weak, or just make fun of a guy like him for crying. He didn't like crying in front of people, they always looked at him funny or rolled their eyes. And he was not about to cry in front of Mitch. But he had no idea what Rowena would think of him. Hopefully she wouldn't be upset.

@Viverescribere

Shrugging gently, she continued until she was beside him to then sit down next to him. Pulling her shoes from her feet, she placed them lightly in the water, sighing softly in relief at how cool it was against her skin. She held her silence for a little longer before eventually speaking up: "It's okay to grieve, Mason. You shouldn't have to feel like you have to hide it." She murmured, keeping her gaze on the scene before her, "I'm not going to judge you. In fact, I wish I could do what you were - are - doing. I wish I could disappear for a while and cry over the family I've lost..."

She paused and then decided to indulge him, "Do you know that my brother's wife was pregnant when the attack came on our village? That my younger siblings probably...died, screaming and crying for help...and I was powerless to do anything. Me. The Dragon Rider. I couldn't even protect my own family." Rowena sucked in a deep breath and finally looled to him, "I only have my sister left and that's because she's in an entirely different village. You have Mitch left...and at least he's right beside you."

Rowena raised a hand and lightly placed it in a reassuring manner on hjs shoulder, "Don't blame yourself for your father's death, Mason. It'll eat you from the inside out. Blame and unnecessary guilt can turn a person nasty. If anyone should be to blame, it should be me, okay? Not you. Definitely not you."

Reactions: AmazingDan
Mason watched her quietly as she spoke, resting the side of his face on his knees. His eyes were still red and a little puffy but he listened as she explained why he shouldn't feel guilty, and the fact that he had a right to grieve. Once she was done talking, smiling softly at her hand on his shoulder, he spoke, "You shouldn't blame yourself for something you couldn't control. We lost him in the crowd of people and I couldn't change that..." The blonde looked at the water, "I wished I did things differently..." He sighed heavily, "You should be able to grieve, too. You've been through a lot, and lost those you care about." He took a deep breath and sighed, "The village people might not trust you entirely, but I trust you." He ran his fingers through his hair, taking another few seconds to think about what to say next, "I... I just miss him so much already... His smile... And his cooking, and the way he cared for Mitch. I miss his laugh... And..." He sniffled and wiped his cheeks and eyes, "Yeah... I just miss him."

"Trust me...I wish I could have done things differently so many times. We can't change bad times in the past...but we can make sure that there are good times in the future instead." Rowena sighed gently, looking away as her hand slipped from his shoulder and back into her lap. She remained silent for a little longer, momentarily thinking of her own lost family and swallowing thickly before shaking her head to stop herself from crying there and then. "I uh...Mitch was wondering where you were so I thought I'd come and find you. Well he knew you had come to the forest for a but...but didn't know exactly where or why...I told him I'd check up on you." She then informed him, eyes lingering on the water that was lapping against her feet, "I think...I think a dragon may have chosen him. Picked Mitch to be a Rider...like me..."

Mason shifted his legs so he was crossing them, blinking in surprise as she mentioned Mitch and the dragon, "Really...?" He murmured. He wasn't upset, or angry or anything, just really surprised. And I little happy for his brother, "I'm not upset... Just... Wow..." He smiled softly at the thought of Mitch riding, "If that is the case, I trust that you'll teach him, If you do, well." His brown eyes turned toward Rowena, "If you want I can leave you here alone... Everyone deserves to grieve for their loved ones.. And I have to help with my fathers body anyway..." The blonde stood up, "Either way, I think I'm ready to head back... Thank you for talking to me."

"Really..." She murmured softly, nodding slowly as she mulled over it more. "I'm thinking...if that can happen to Mitch...then perhaps it can work for the rest of the village. Perhaps you could all get your own dragons, get them to work for you. Build. Farm. Whatever that person does." Rowena looked up to him, eyes sparkling, "Imagine that. A village of dragon riders..." She paused and then smiled up at him, "No problem...I'll see you soon."

"Dragon village..." Mason murmured softly in thought and smiled at Rowena, "I like that..." He looked at the girl and smiled softly, "Yeah, I'll see you later." He waved and left towards the village. Maybe Mitch would show him the dragon that Rowena thought picked him. He was curious.

"Dragon village..." Mason murmured softly in thought and smiled at Rowena, "I like that..." He looked at the girl and smiled softly, "Yeah, I'll see you later." He waved and left towards the village. Maybe Mitch would show him the dragon that Rowena thought picked him. He was curious.
(Sorry it's so short... :( )

(Sorry it's so short... :( )

@Viverescribere

Status
Not open for further replies.