Anira and Kresch

• So many newbies lately! Here is a very important PSA about one of our most vital content policies! Read it even if you are an ancient member!
Tears spilled over and down Anira's cheeks. How this woman could stand there and feel no remorse was beyond her. So many emotions were swimming through her entired body, screaming to get out. The Queen stood before her, almost daring her to end her wretched life. She dropped her bow and her gaze to the ground, letting tears drip off of her cheeks, on to her bow. The Queen began to laugh hysterically, "I knew it! I knew you were just as weak as your parents, you stupid girl!" Her cackling continued as, unbeknownst to her, Anira began reaching for something. "You foolish little thing! I should have killed you when I killed your...." Before she could finish her sentence, the hilt of Anira's dagger sticking out of her mouth while the blade protruded from her neck. Gagging and spewing blood, the Queen fell to her knees before Anira. Slowly, Anira's eyes rose to look into the dying eyes of the Queen.

"You shall never call my parents weak again." With that, the last little light that had been in the Queen's eyes faded, and her body fell limp to the floor. Anira look upon the Queen's dead body for a few moments before retrieving her dagger and glancing at the male servant in the room. She spoke slowly, "You will tell me where they are keeping the prisoner and you have a choice. Leave now or follow under my reign." She said menacingly, her eyes never leaving him. It was not like her to be so cold but until she was in Kresch's arms once again, she felt so broken and lonely. The servant stared at her quietly for a few seconds before speaking.

"My name is Yorsvir, and I shall follow you, my Queen." He said bowing to her. Anira felt strange having someone bow to her, but she was going to have to get used to the feeling very soon. "Now follow me you Majesty. I shall show you to the prisoner." He walked ahead of her as they made their way to the palace dungeons.

Kresch was still unconscious as they entered the dungeon. As Anira entered she saw Kresch in his cage. He was laying in a pool of his own blood in the middle of the cell. But he was also glowing. Anira could not understand what was happening to him, but she realized he was not dead. Kresch could no longer feel the pain in his stomach, and began to breathe at a steady rate. Anira simply stared at him, she then turned her attention to the guards. It took her a few moments, but she finally found her voice.

"Release him, now!" She commanded. The guard stood there, glancing at one another, almost laughing among themselves. One guard approached her, brought his face close to hers and smiled.

"Now why should we listen to you, little Elf?" He asked, trying to sound calm, but Anira could tell that he was trying to frighten her. Before she could speak again, Yorsvir entered the dungeon behind her. He stood between the guard and Anira, a blade in his hand.

"She is our true and rightful Queen. She is the daughter of our once Queen, Raina and our King, Adan. She was meant to rule, but our former Queen killed her parents and tried to kill Anira as well. She has killed our Queen and is to take her place as Ruler of Derath. You will show her respect, Captain!" The guards all looked confused. Slowly one by one they began to kneel before her. The captain, slack jawed, turned and opened Kresch's cage, freeing him. Anira quickly ran to him and had the guards help him out of the cage. She gently held him in her arms.

"Kresch, please wake up. Please, you have to be okay!" She pleaded quietly placing a soft kiss upon his forehead. She couldn't bare to see him like this, and she would not lose him.

Kresch was still in his mind during this altercation. But as she held him, he started to feel life enter his body once again. In a matter of minutes, Kresch began to breathe deeply, and was completely changed back. It was as if he knew he was safe and that she was there with him. As he took deep breaths he began to stir in her arms. Seconds later his eyes began to open, and he looked at her. Smiling he was able to utter the words "My lady..."

Anira's eyes widened as she heard his voice speak to her. An overwhelming sense of happiness filled her as she pressed her lips against his, passion, joy and relief fueling it. As they parted, new tears streamed down her cheeks as she pressed her forehead against his, a small nervous laugh emitted from her lips. "Never scare me like that again." She commanded, a wave of relief washing over her. She knew she should probably tell him about the Queen, but she didn't want to ruin the moment.

Kresch was overwhelmed with happiness. Seeing her made all of his pain go away. He smiled, reached out and wiped the tears from her cheek. As he sat up, he looked into her eyes and pressed his lips to hers one last time. After they parted, he slowly got to his feet. As he looked around the room, his eyes started to glow. He was noticing the guards positioned around him and he readied himself to slaughter them.

Anira placed a hand softly on his arm, noticing the glow in his eyes and shook her head. "They serve me now. The Queen is dead." She said simply. Everyone in the room, the guards and the male servant, kneeled before her. She still wasn't used to that, and figured she probably never would be. She stood before them and began to speak, "This man is no enemy. He is not to be attacked, under any circumstances. Have I made myself clear?" She said loudly. They all muttered a "Yes, your Majesty," leaving Anira slightly calmer. She turned back to Kresch and smiled weakly, "I am now Queen apparently."

The smirk that had been missing from Kresch's lips for so long had found its way back once again. This news made him very happy, as his goals were finally accomplished. He knew that this was not over, as there were plenty of enemies that would delight in seeing them both killed. He knew he would be her protector, and she would be his. After a few moments, Kresch looked at her, sighed deeply, and bowed to her along with the guards.

Anira's eyes widened. Kresch of all people, was bowing to her. She rolled her eyes slightly knowing it was partly in jest as well as something he was doing out of respect, but she could not have him doing that. She put her hand on his shoulder and made him stand upright. "You do not have to bow to me. If you do, I'll....I'll...Well I don't know exactly what I'll do yet but I'll figure something out." She said sighing. She put her fingers on her temples and applied pressure. Everything was happening so fast now, and the last words of the Queen were swimming through her mind, all she wanted to do was rest and talk to Kresch alone.

Kresch understood she was exhausted, as was he. And for his own sanity he did not wish to stay the night in the castle. They had both been through so much in just that one night that it would be very difficult for them to rest soundly. Feeling rejuvenated, he walked with her to the outside of the castle. He waited until the guards were gone, changed into his true form, scooped her up and flew back to the shack they had grown accustomed to.

Once inside the safety of the shack, Anira fell to the ground, back leaning against a wall. She buried her face within her hands, taking deep breaths to try and calm herself down. She had just killed the former Queen, was now to become Queen, and she had learned so much more truth. When she had started this journey, all she wanted was to avenge her family, not any of this. Sighing she removed her face from it's cradle within her hands and looked up at Kresch, "This is all too much for me to comprehend, Kresch. All I wanted was to kill the one responsible for my family's deaths, now I have a whole city that I must rule over. I can not even fathom how I'm going to do such a thing." She thought back to what the Queen had said before she killed her. Something clicked inside of her mind. The Queen had killed her father, not Firenthius. She had killed an innocent man. Her face twisted into a mirror of guilt and sadness.

"You were destined for this. Anira you have done what you set out to do, you avenged your family. This is your reward. The Empire has been in turmoil since that woman took over. You are now free to bring prosperity to these lands once again. I know this is a lot to take in right now, but I will be here by your side every step of the way. Your mother was an amazing ruler, and so you shall be as well." Kresch knew how big of a toll this took on her, and he only wanted to be her support.

As Kresch looked upon her, he could not deny his senses. Something was troubling Anira. With this in mind he gently said, "What troubles you, my lady?"

It took a few moments before she found her voice once more. "I killed an innocent man." She whispered. Never in her life had she killed someone who had not deserved the punishment. She had always sworn to defend the innocent while killing those who hurt others. Now she had killed a man who had been accused of a crime he did not commit. "Firenthius did not kill my father. It was the Queen. I killed a man for a crime he did not commit. I did something horrible."

"Yes. You did kill a man who did not commit the crime he was accused of. But let me remind you of the torture he put you through. The pain that he caused the both of us. Yes my lady, he did not kill your father, but this does not mean he wasn't deserving of his fate. And let's be honest, if you did not kill him, I would have. He did not have to do those horrid things to you, he earned his death." Kresch paused for a moment to look at her, and he then continued, "This attitude you have towards this will lead you to become a very successful ruler, as these were the values your mother ruled by. You were destined to lead this Empire and her people. As I said before, I will always be by your side."

Anira stared at the ground before her, taking in what Kresch had said. She sighed and forced herself to stand, knees barely able to support her weight from how exhausted she was, both physically and emotionally. She walked up to Kresch and placed her hand gently on his cheek and smiled weakly, "I thank you for being by my side through all of this. You are right, he did deserve his death for what he did. I also thank you for everything you've done. I would have never done all of this, if it wasn't for you." She smiled genuinely and kissed him softly. She once again felt safe and cared for in Kresch's arms.

Kresch held her for what seemed an eternity. She was his, and he was hers, and they were safe in each others arms. After several minutes they parted. Anira almost sank to her knees but Kresch caught her. He scooped her into his arms and laid her into bed. She looked up at him wearily and in a hushed tone said, "Thank you." After these words left her lips she fell into a deep, and peaceful slumber. As she drifted off into serenity, Kresch slowly walked outside.

As Kresch exited the shack, he stood in the moonlight for a few moments contemplating the events that had taken place earlier in the day. They were successful in removing the corrupt Queen and restoring Derath to the kingdom it once was. Once he was done with his thoughts, he found a tree to sit under. He closed his eyes and began to breathe deeply. He would not sleep tonight, as the likelihood of being attacked by the former Queen's supporters was imminent. As he sat, he began to hear a noise fluttering above him. His eyes began to glow as he looked up to see a rolled up scroll falling upon him. As it landed next to him he glanced at it and let out a deep sigh. He unraveled the letter and began to read. It was a contract. And he, being the mercenary he was, would oblige by it. "We are in need of your services yet again. We have become aware that there is an unknown force at work in the Castle of Derath. We believe this force will try to do the Queen harm. This time tomorrow you are to be at the inn in Serellia. There you will meet someone, don't worry, you will know when you see them. They will give you the details to this contract."

As he read, the thought of losing Anira to another was not sitting well in his mind. His eyes began to glow as he gripped the letter. After a few seconds he calmed himself and walked back into the shack. He did not feel comfortable leaving her alone. He did not sleep, as he kept watch for the unknown force at work. Before long, morning was upon them, and it was an uneventful night. Anira began to stir in her bed, and she awoke. As she sat up, she found her voice.

"You haven't slept, have you?" She asked rubbing the sleep from her eyes, already knowing the answer to her question. Once she was more awake, she noticed he seemed to be slightly upset by something. She stood without waiting for him to respond, dressed and motioned for him to follow her outside while she cooked breakfast. As she started the fire, she glanced up at him. "You seemed troubled. Is something bothering you? Did something happen while I was asleep?"

He looked at her for a few moments, deciding in his head how to word his answer. "Yes. Something is bothering me. I must go away to Serellia for business. I have matters that are of the... Utmost importance. I will be gone for only a few hours and I would like for you to stay here for the time being." As he said these words, he kept pondering over who this new enemy was. Should someone do Anira harm, Kresch would not be able to live himself. He would be lost. This confused him, he was so used to being alone for the longest time. He only recently learned what it was like to truly care for someone. He looked up at her, and their eyes met. After a few seconds, Anira began to speak.

Anira did not want him to leave, she knew she would feel vulnerable without him by her side. She sighed, knowing she shouldn't stop him. As much as she wanted him here, he had other thing to attend too. Who knows what he had done before he knew her, and her father had told her that he had been an assassin for her mother so she dare not question it. Standing, she forced a slight smile and nodded. "I understand, but you need not worry. I will go back to the castle and spend the night there while you are gone. I need to fix the whole mess of becoming Queen anyway. I'm sure there is much to do to become as such." She hated the idea of living in the castle, but it could not be avoided.

He was not going to fight her. He knew the castle was not safe, but it would only be a matter of time before he returned. He did not want to cause her anymore stress by telling her there was someone in the castle who meant to do her harm. He looked at her, and said, "I will return to you, my lady. I promise I will be by your side." And with that he changed into his true form and flew for the city of Serellia.