• So many newbies lately! Here is a very important PSA about one of our most vital content policies! Read it even if you are an ancient member!
Name: Skout Firefist
Race: Pyran
Persuasion: Cups
Element: Fire.
Zodiac sign: Cancer
Appearance: To accurately describe Skout one must comprehend how astonishingly large this woman is. Not only is Skout a good 7ft 3 but she also has a very prominent belly, wide hips and thick thighs which taper off into her stocky feet. A pair of breasts sit atop the sphere of fat encircling her abdomen, well on their way into the DD cup range. She looks, at first glance, to have the same proportions as an obese human; truly the arms and calves are the revealing factors. Instead of being flat with sloping shoulders, the muscle here is well defined, smoothed by packs of fat here and there but still dangerously bulbous and clear indicators of her staggering physical strength. Indeed, Skout's sheer mass alone makes it hard to go through human doorways, but that is due to the thick layer of fat and the even thicker layer of muscle underneath it.

Skout's skin is a dark reddish-brown, the colour of blood, with paler palms and sunburnt patches on her cheeks, nose and elbows becoming even darker. A row of four horns, the outer two being around three to four inches high whilst the middle are firmly set at two inches tall, decorate her hairline. They are the same color of her skin and are slightly ridged. Her hair is black, cut into a short wavy bob which seems to give her face a softer, child-like appearance. Skout has off-yellow eyes, and thick dark eyebrows. Her lips are pouty and full, and from each corner of her mouth two large canines jut out from the bottom row.

Since tailors shudder at the thought of trying to create an outfit for such a massive lady, Skout's wardrobe is proudly hand-crafted. She is surprisingly good at using clothes to create different impressions; a simple waistcoat with a rolled-up dark cotton shirt and some linen trousers turns her into a farmer or a manual labourer, whereas a big patterned dress and a wooly cardigan transform her into a doting mother. Her real pride and joy is her armour. It consists of thick metal plates held together by large metal clasps, like shackles. These are supported by leather straps to further attach the armour. Chainmail is usually worn underneath and these plates are adorned with furs and bones, reportedly from her kills. She has a large metal helmet with a visor and a thick, scaly 'plume' which is more like a rough tentacle or a tail jutting out at the back. Skout claims this is the tip of a real dragon's tail.

Weapons/other combat abilities:

Firefist; her beloved namesake. Skout has an interesting range of raw magic, wherein she does not fling fire around the place like your run of the mill wizard but actually encases her weapons in it, mainly her fists. Not only will her bone-shattering punches knock you back several feet but now there's a very real risk of third degree burns upon impact.

When it comes to weapons Skout relies on her trusty battle axe called Susan. She keeps this in prime condition, and though she never keeps it on hand 24/7, you can bet she's in running distance of where she hid it. Just in case. Skout also favours her natural weapons - lefty and righty. She acknowledges and makes good use of her feet, elbows, shoulders, forehead and knees for optimum hand to hand combat.

Whilst it's not really a combat ability or a weapon, Skout always keeps a (well covered and protected) Pyran Artefact called a Phoenix Stone. An orange crystalline sphere with various tiny holes and the feather of a phoenix nestled inside, this stone uses fire magic to ignite the feather. The pressure of the air escaping the rock and the magical power amplified by the feather creates a violent explosion which the crystal is capable of resisting entirely. It takes a few days to regenerate after each use, during this regeneration time it is incredibly hot to the touch. Skout doesn't use it often as she feels it's cheating to use such a violent device.

Bio: Skout's story is one of self searching. Born and raised in Utany, she felt rather distant to the patriotism of her family and friends. Whilst her parents were trying to comprehend and work with their only daughter, she was ridiculed by others for her intellect (which was in itself more to do with cunning and creativity than actual academic prowess - it should be noted that Skout received no education and is largely illiterate) and called weak or soft when she displayed her natural disposition to nurture the vulnerable. When she was old enough and independent enough to head out on her own (in her case at the mere age of 13) she moved to Lastranay, keeping in touch with her family.

What she found was a society that she could fit in. From the Aquans Skout learnt a lot about her persuasion, able to openly discuss her feelings and dissect the treatment of her Pyran peers on a psychological level. She learnt about empathy and love and sex, things that were generally avoided in typical Pyran conversation. On top of this she was taught a range of crafts, from tailoring to cooking, and was given the open-minded attitude she so desperately needed.

For a while, life in Lastranay seemed like paradise. As she matured however it became painfully obvious that she simply couldn't get any closer to the Aquans. Their amphibious lifestyle deprived her of being able to participate in some festivities or visit her friends' homes, and her fire magic was such a dangerous thing to use around them. On top of that, she was still typically Pyran - stubborn, aggressive and obsessed with honour and combat. Skout knew she couldn't belong there and decided to go back to her roots without actually having to suffer the teasing of other Pyrans.

Skout became a mercenary, an adventurer and a sellsword, much to the delight of her parents who gifted her with the armour and weapon she keeps to this day. She would only accept tasks that were morally just, protecting villages from raiders or battling fierce monsters. She wouldn't do it for free though. Whilst she hardly became famous, she certainly bought the respect from several small hamlets and towns which were prejudiced against her. She traveled south, quickly passing through Patrance and discovering new things about religion in Era.

Skout's journey ended in Atvance several years ago. She still needs this sense of belonging but the varied culture in the town was enough to placate her needs for the time being. Her view on other races can be a bit patronising as she feels the irresistible need to care for and look after these smaller, frailer beings. She made a small farm to financially support her and she works regularly in the blacksmith shop. The past few months have made her restless, eager to keep looking for her true kind, her 'family' to look after and keep safe.

Other: Skout's weaknesses lie in her fear of drowning, her pathetic diplomatic skills, her cumbersome size and her stubborn will. She is susceptible to mind-controlling magic, though she may struggle from time to time it will inevitably fail.

I am also hoping that Skout could have a mentor, someone who may reach her how to read and write. If anyone feels up to the task feel free to ask me, if not I'll ask one of you.

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: Luma
Whilst it's not really a combat ability or a weapon, Skout always keeps a (well covered and protected) stick of dynamite in her bag for those moments when hitting things just isn't going to work. Her flames make it easy to light and even easier to amplify the explosion. She kind of sees this as cheating though.
Eh. Dynamite specifically seems a little bit... anachronistic. I know that Altera's history isn't the same as Earth's history, but, for sake of having a consistent technology level for things, I think it's best that we stay pre-Industrial Revolution as much as possible. I won't be diligently combing through everything in a CS to check this sort of thing (especially since I'm not a huge history buff), but, dynamite in particular sounded a bit odd to me -- and, sure enough, it turns out dynamite wasn't invented until after the Industrial Revolution. :P

That being said! I'm sure there are other, more primitive forms of explosives that would work just fine for this. o.o In fact, you could plausibly even go for a magical explosive... though I feel like that might actually be more difficult for one to get their hands on than a regular explosive. XD

The general concept works fine, I'm just not so fond of the reference to something so relatively modern. :P

That being said, the rest of this looks good! Looks like it's just the one thing that you have to fix. o3o

As for a mentor -- hmm... One of my characters might be able to help you, but he probably wouldn't be super eager to help unless he has a good reason to, or unless Skout just gets along really well with him. He's pents, so it's not like he'd be motivated by some thrill of teaching or anything -- but I think he can manage teaching her to at least read and write. And I don't think he'd at all mind being a hired tutor. :P

As for other ideas, Victarion came to mind... but after re-reading his CS, I'm not so sure. o3o I guess you'd have to ask @Rithas about that one.

• Thank You
Reactions: Ythania
I should have a character up within the next week (I just have one more day to work and then I'm home free for eight days xD)! Sorry for the wait!

Awesome to see more people, the more the merrier (usually). Also, I really like the concept of Skout. The height difference sounds fun, especially in the case of her and Kiri.

I didn't realize just how huge this difference was until I side-by-sided them. Even then, this is just the height, not the width/girth/etc.
ujiGEgs.png

• Thank You
Awesome to see more people, the more the merrier (usually). Also, I really like the concept of Skout. The height difference sounds fun, especially in the case of her and Kiri.

I didn't realize just how huge this difference was until I side-by-sided them. Even then, this is just the height, not the width/girth/etc.
ujiGEgs.png
Zito would probably only be a little taller (5'-4'9" somewhere in that range, i haven't really decided) then Kiri as well, so we'd both be kinda tiny compared to Skout XD

Reactions: Luma
Zito would probably only be a little taller (5'-4'9" somewhere in that range, i haven't really decided) then Kiri as well, so we'd both be kinda tiny compared to Skout XD
I love the giant height gap with our characters so far. We have Kiri and Zito, who're relatively short, next to Skout and Victorian, who're both practically monoliths. And Raymond. He's like the only one with an average human height.

Now I want to make a height comparison of all the characters when we start, cause I'm really curious.

Yeah Christ, if anything Skout will clearly be able to carry kiri and Zito with one hand. I sense piggybacks and lots of sitting on shoulders.

Edit: perhaps Pyrans have their own type of explosive? I'll look into some ancient bombs and get back to you on that one.

Edit edit: turns out the first gunpowder was made in China during the 1400s, anything before that was flaming projectiles and other incendiary weapons. So I'd like to propose a magical Pyran artifact, needing fire magic to function - maybe it should be reusable but only after a long cool down period? Some sort of rock, maybe a sphere, like a grenade; ignite with fire magic, throw and run. Afterwards the sphere can be collected but it'll be burning hot for...i dont know, days, and has to be completely cold to get the right amount of pressure to make the bang. I don't think I like the idea of making it a consumable, seems bombs and explosions would be so rare in this setting, I doubt that mythological gunpowder would be so readily available in your corner shop. Otherwise the wars and skirmishes with the Pyrans would've been a lot more bloody.

Last edited:
Yeah Christ, if anything Skout will clearly be able to carry kiri and Zito with one hand. I sense piggybacks and lots of sitting on shoulders.

Edit: perhaps Pyrans have their own type of explosive? I'll look into some ancient bombs and get back to you on that one.

Edit edit: turns out the first gunpowder was made in China during the 1400s, anything before that was flaming projectiles and other incendiary weapons. So I'd like to propose a magical Pyran artifact, needing fire magic to function - maybe it should be reusable but only after a long cool down period? Some sort of rock, maybe a sphere, like a grenade; ignite with fire magic, throw and run. Afterwards the sphere can be collected but it'll be burning hot for...i dont know, days, and has to be completely cold to get the right amount of pressure to make the bang. I don't think I like the idea of making it a consumable, seems bombs and explosions would be so rare in this setting, I doubt that mythological gunpowder would be so readily available in your corner shop. Otherwise the wars and skirmishes with the Pyrans would've been a lot more bloody.

Mm, yeah, I like that idea. Seems like something that could be made out of (or at least infused with) Phoenix artifacts of some kind, given their reusable nature. :P

• Thank You

I read the part about "explosive" and I immediately thought: Goron Powder Kegs. Don't ask why .-.

"Whilst it's not really a combat ability or a weapon, Skout always keeps a (well covered and protected) Pyran Artefact called a Phoenix Stone. An orange crystalline sphere with various tiny holes and the feather of a phoenix nestled inside, this stone uses fire magic to ignite the feather. The pressure of the air escaping the rock and the magical power amplified by the feather creates a violent explosion which the crystal is capable of resisting entirely. It takes a few days to regenerate after each use, during this regeneration time it is incredibly hot to the touch. Skout doesn't use it often as she feels it's cheating to use such a violent device."

There we go.

Reactions: Kagayours
"Whilst it's not really a combat ability or a weapon, Skout always keeps a (well covered and protected) Pyran Artefact called a Phoenix Stone. An orange crystalline sphere with various tiny holes and the feather of a phoenix nestled inside, this stone uses fire magic to ignite the feather. The pressure of the air escaping the rock and the magical power amplified by the feather creates a violent explosion which the crystal is capable of resisting entirely. It takes a few days to regenerate after each use, during this regeneration time it is incredibly hot to the touch. Skout doesn't use it often as she feels it's cheating to use such a violent device."

There we go.

Looks good! I'll try to remember to add Skout to the accepted list later.

• Thank You
Added!

Also, as I've alluded to before, one of the reasons why I haven't done much work on my own CS's is because it's hard to do without a computer of my own. Hopefully I'll be able to get a new computer tomorrow, though, so hopefully I can start working on mine then. ^^"

would not be there first time i've had a character who just chills out on people's shoulders because she can XD

I HAVE A NEW COMPUTER. O_O

It isn't connected to wi-fi yet, but it will be soon. owo

ON A RELATED NOTE, I had some interesting interactions with the Best Buy employee...

Him: Now, before you buy this, are you sure you don't want to at least take a look at a Windows PC?
Me: Absolutely certain. >:I
Him: Okay... Just making sure...

Him: Now, Microsoft Office will be [dollar amount I don't remember].
Me: Oh, I don't need Office.
Him: ...
Him: ...But you're in school. You need Office.
Me: No, that Macbook comes with substitute programs that do basically everything the Office Suite programs do but for free. And they can even read Office file types for their corresponding programs like .docx, .ppt, etc -- and they can export files as those file types, as well. Besides, I like Pages a lot better than Word, anyway.
Him: ...
Me: I spent two years in college without Office and did just fine using the programs that come with that computer.
Him: *sigh* Ok... If you say so...

Seriously, though, the look he gave me when I said I don't need Office... XD

Apple might make some expensive computers*, but at least they have the decency to not charge extra for essentials like Word! XP

*And, imo, you get what you pay for with those sleek machines. :P

I'd say if you're working at Best Buy you should be familiar with both Mac and PC, but that's actually a much higher standard than you'd think it'd be. Computers are fairly expensive and you only really need one. Either way, good to hear you're getting setup again. New CS incoming?

I'd say if you're working at Best Buy you should be familiar with both Mac and PC, but that's actually a much higher standard than you'd think it'd be. Computers are fairly expensive and you only really need one. Either way, good to hear you're getting setup again. New CS incoming?

Eh. I suppose I can't expect that he'd know the pre-installed Mac programs that well. I think he was just shocked to hear me say that I don't need Office, given the fact that Microsoft has basically convinced the entire professional world that Office is the only acceptable choice for all word-processing, presentation, and spreadsheet-making needs, and that their suite is an absolute must-have for any computer-owner. ...Which is why it seems kind of shitty for them to charge you an extra $40 or so for it, especially when you have Apple giving out programs that can do just about everything that Microsoft's can, and going the extra mile to make sure they're all compatible with the Office programs (which is more work on their part), pre-installed on their computers for no extra charge.

Eh. I suppose I can't expect that he'd know the pre-installed Mac programs that well. I think he was just shocked to hear me say that I don't need Office, given the fact that Microsoft has basically convinced the entire professional world that Office is the only acceptable choice for all word-processing, presentation, and spreadsheet-making needs, and that their suite is an absolute must-have for any computer-owner. ...Which is why it seems kind of shitty for them to charge you an extra $40 or so for it, especially when you have Apple giving out programs that can do just about everything that Microsoft's can, and going the extra mile to make sure they're all compatible with the Office programs (which is more work on their part), pre-installed on their computers for no extra charge.
There's free programs for Windows too (LibreOffice etc). My college gives its students the whole Office suite for free though so
*innocent whistling as my soul is sold*

As for my CS's, well, I can start working on them, but, like, not tonight -- I've kind of hit the wall for the day. o_o Even if I'd never broken my old laptop in the first place, it still would've taken me a decent chunk of time to bring my CS's to completion. Needing to replace my laptop only added to the delay by preventing me from plugging away at it at all for a while. :P So, yes, I'm going to actually start working on my CS's tomorrow, but don't expect me to get them up at lightning speed. :P

There's free programs for Windows too (LibreOffice etc). My college gives its students the whole Office suite for free though so
*innocent whistling as my soul is sold*

Yeah, but the free Windows programs that I've encountered are generally not only objectively worse than Office in a lot of areas, but also usually aren't compatible with Office, either -- in the sense that they can't open Office documents. Which means that they're a far-from-perfect replacement as you're still essentially locked out of any Office documents that you're trying to open from elsewhere. And, when it comes to work and school especially, you're probably going to run into a lot of Office documents that you'll need to open. ...Because Office is everywhere, and it'll feel like virtually everyone has Office but you. Microsoft turned Office into an absolute essential, and gets an extra 40 bucks a pop from every person who buys a computer, sometimes even including Mac users who might not be as informed as I was.

Apple's suite, meanwhile, lets you blend in just fine in this Office-dominated world, as it can open their documents and even export its own documents as Office files -- in case you need to, say, move some files between your Mac and a PC and still be able to edit them in either form. :P

As for my CS's, well, I can start working on them, but, like, not tonight -- I've kind of hit the wall for the day. o_o Even if I'd never broken my old laptop in the first place, it still would've taken me a decent chunk of time to bring my CS's to completion. Needing to replace my laptop only added to the delay by preventing me from plugging away at it at all for a while. :P So, yes, I'm going to actually start working on my CS's tomorrow, but don't expect me to get them up at lightning speed. :P
That's fair, I'm kinda the same way. I probably could flesh out Kiri a lot more, but I tend to prefer developing characters during RP, rather than beforehand.