Affinity for Magic (Interest Check)

• So many newbies lately! Here is a very important PSA about one of our most vital content policies! Read it even if you are an ancient member!
Status
Not open for further replies.
K

Kame

Original poster
Still looking for Members!

In cooperation with @Kitsune
| A planning period of 2 straight months full of sweat, stress, and heart break we two present to you all a master piece |
''Deep into that darkness peering, long I stood there, wondering, fearing, doubting, dreaming dreams no mortal ever dared to dream before.'' ~Edgar Allan Poe

Our world stood upon the earths core and only emitted to us... darkness, a empty void that which needed to be filled with our presence. There.. we stood upon the presence of our enemies, there we fought and bled on our own weapons...

year 1000 Earth, japan, Bōkyaku. On that darkened hill top we humans fought against our parents, the demonic spawn of satan. They who roar at the night sky, they who are evil were vanquished by us humans. The army of humans were led by 4 individuals, those whom call themselves ''The First Born'' stood up from their birth place and took rebellion against the population of demons whom lived before us on this world we call.... earth. Now we stand, victors of our new world, so that we can rule it for the betterment of our race... The first born, our gods, our new parents built with us a shelter that which we can defend ourselves from the now rebellious assaults of the remaining demon horde, Shinwa-mahou, that which is now a academy. We soon found our magic within ourselves, us, that which we rebelled against now accepting our own fate as too... the demon spawn. Feared for our safety we used our own magic to seal it off from the new generation after us, our children now full of purity and without the demonic magical powers we had birthright to. Alas the rest is vague and lost.. what did happen to the rest of our history.. we no not but yet we continue searching... 2016 Earth, Japan, Bōkyaku. Us, the Elders, the teachers of our academy live upon us with a goal of unlocking our powers, we, the narrators of this story, although young at the time we did not know what we were put into.. now, the world is full of confusion, we are put to the task of searching and unlocking the hidden truths of our history and with that knowledge we can purify the world for the first time ever into a demonless universe where we humans live in peace... finally, that is our goal.

We are the main characters, middles schoolers put to this crucial task by our teachers!

Any questions will be answered by both me and Kitsune, we are the GMs of this roleplay.

NOTE: This is merely a small taste, a ''summary'' if you will of what's to come. We have many plans already documented and we tend to keep this roleplay alive with a strong, glorious, and interesting continuous plot that will not only expand with time but will attempt to interact deeply with our members all throughout its lifespan.​

Last edited by a moderator:
so, for clarification, What exactly will the roleplay involve? Like, what who will the characters be ect, While the writing is impressive it contains no real direction.

so, for clarification, What exactly will the roleplay involve? Like, what who will the characters be ect, While the writing is impressive it contains no real direction.
''We are the main characters, middles schoolers put to this crucial task by our teachers!''
You are a middle schooler in a academy.

''the teachers of our academy live upon us with a goal of unlocking our powers''
The teachers will be teaching us magic.

''the world is full of confusion, we are put to the task of searching and unlocking the hidden truths of our history and with that knowledge we can purify the world for the first time ever into a demonless universe where we humans live in peace... finally, that is our goal.''
The whole premise is to unlock our history and at the same time fight off the horde of demons.

Right, That's far clearer. It may just be I found it difficult to follow but it seemed like a over complication to me.

So, now come the interesting questions:
What is 'middling' age wise? is it actually school ages, or post school?
How will magic be worked (Power and ability wise)?
What sort of magic do you intend to allow (Elemental? Arcane? Runic? Natural?)
How direct is the magic going to be? (Summoning creatures vs throwing fireballs)
How fantasy is this modern academy going to be? (Will be running round in jeans and a t-shirt or will we be wearing a pointy hat and wearing hobnail boots?)
What's the planned limit of characters and players?
What sort of Level of Descriptive are we allowed to go to (What is the age target? not for smut but for effects of magic, IE hitting someone with a fireball is pretty gruesome in real life) ?
What sort of writing level are you aiming at? (post wise and character sheet wise)
What post rate are you looking for?

Right, That's far clearer. It may just be I found it difficult to follow but it seemed like a over complication to me.

So, now come the interesting questions:
How direct is the magic going to be? (Summoning creatures vs throwing fireballs)
How fantasy is this modern academy going to be? (Will be running round in jeans and a t-shirt or will we be wearing a pointy hat and wearing hobnail boots?)
What sort of Level of Descriptive are we allowed to go to (What is the age target? not for smut but for effects of magic, IE hitting someone with a fireball is pretty gruesome in real life) ?
What sort of writing level are you aiming at? (post wise and character sheet wise)
School ages, everyone will start off between the ages of 11 - 13. This is because we tend to make this whole thing into a series with MASSIVE amounts of character progression.

HP
(Health) -Starts off with 500
MP (Mana) -Starts off with 100
SP (Stamina) -Starts off with 100
---------
Element - There will be a unlimited genre at which you can choose from (although always moderated to keep balance) There is a strict keep say system where if you choose a element then no one else will be able to get it. For example if you picked the element ''fire'' no one else will be able to pick fire and you'll be the proud owner of said element until said character dies in which that cause if you were to be killed by another member they would then be able to steal that element from your corpse and learn it and use it right then and there.
Rank - There are custom ranks in the academy that ties in with all of this. First to last,
[BCOLOR=transparent]Beginner, Upperclassman, Specter, Alpha, Paladin. (More ''may'' follow.)[/BCOLOR]

Special -This is a ability only those who know the element can do, so similar to a special move it usually takes a lot of MP. When someone ranks up they grow stronger of course and in return they will be granted more special moves, example: Novice = 1 special, Intermediate = 2 specials, and so on.

Any kind.

''summoning'' will be a magic type to be paired with the magical list, so just like i stated before if someone picks summoning then no one else will be able to get it unless you know... yada yada. Summoning is just the usage of pure magic to open the gates between worlds in this roleplay therefore it is a art, therefore it is a magic type, therefore it will have the same rules as any other element. For the ''fireballs'' aspect... well, if someone has fire and if they wanna have such a move then that is allowed.

jeans, t-shirts. We more or less had a vision of a pretty normal life style similar to our own but with a twist of course so we won't see anyone with crazy high fantasy gear unless we choose to add a crazy character.

I personally would like us to get at least 3 students if all possible, however i'm open to the thought of having more, there will be a 2 character limit as well.

Any age may join this roleplay, we tend to follow the universal global rules of elemental effectiveness, ''IE'' fire melts ice, fire burns wood, lightning buffs water, water snuffs out fire, lightning buffs wind, fire is buffed by wind, yada yada. We will make a whole chart if need be when the OOC is up.

At least intermediate, one paragraph per post for the least amount of expectancy, as long as its more than one paragraph we are good. Character sheet wise has yet to be discussed, sorry i cannot answer that question at this time.

Once a week for the least amount of expectancy, more would be grateful. That is what we have right now, however we might add a system for this before the OOC is up. It all depends on trends and effectiveness to keep the roleplay afloat.

So, lets say someone picks the fire element, going of your example.
And I chose Runic magic (the ability to cause magic through the writing of runes) and write down the runes for fire, cone, and projection. with the intent of making a flamethrower style spell. would that be allowed as I am not directly interfacing with the element itself, more using my magic 'style' to create the element?

What sort of limit are you intending to impose in magic, Such as, what would the consequences be of using gravitational magic?
Are Illogical energies allowed? IE a flame so cold it burns. Additionally something like...Plasma would have overlap with both fire and lightning (stupid question I know but I've had some people do stupid things)

What sort of 'kill off rate' are you expecting for characters, as you mentioned the ability to steal magic.

And I chose Runic magic (the ability to cause magic through the writing of runes) and write down the runes for fire, cone, and projection. with the intent of making a flamethrower style spell. would that be allowed as I am not directly interfacing with the element itself, more using my magic 'style' to create the element?

What sort of limit are you intending to impose in magic, Such as, what would the consequences be of using gravitational magic?
Are Illogical energies allowed? IE a flame so cold it burns. Additionally something like...Plasma would have overlap with both fire and lightning (stupid question I know but I've had some people do stupid things)

What sort of 'kill off rate' are you expecting for characters, as you mentioned the ability to steal magic.

There aren't ''styles'' so whatever element you choose you can use it however you want, rather it be runic or arcane or anything else or a combination of two or three its all acceptable ways of conjuring magic.

All consequences are determined based on cost of spells. ''Flame so cold it burns'' that would be classified as a spell under the fire category. Plasma is a element therefore it is separate from fire and lightning and can be claimed by a owner, however if someone has fire and lightning then they would be able to conjure plasma as well due to the golden rule ''Two elements combined make a new one.''

When your HP is completely gone your character dies.

Ok, that's pretty much what I was looking for. but let me re-phrase my last question.
How often do you expect players to be re-making characters? and what sort of oomph are we expecting the foes to have (Will the demons be hitting at 10 per smack, or at 100 per smack?)

Ok, that's pretty much what I was looking for. but let me re-phrase my last question.
How often do you expect players to be re-making characters? and what sort of oomph are we expecting the foes to have (Will the demons be hitting at 10 per smack, or at 100 per smack?)
I hope not often, when you die pretty much depends on you. The foes you'll fight will vary depending on where you are, what rank you are, if its a final boss character or not. It all depends really i can't really give you a exact ratio because every foe will be different.

Ok, at the start, the general day to day Mooks we'll meet, what can I expect from them?
Sorry for the quiz but I want to get my head round what you're asking and doing first.

Ok, at the start, the general day to day Mooks we'll meet, what can I expect from them?
Sorry for the quiz but I want to get my head round what you're asking and doing first.
What are ''mooks?''

Mook is a term used to define a level of bad guy
Your standard hoard issue bad guy that turns up in groups of ones and twos at the start of the game, but by the 3rd level you can slaughter 10 of them without breaking sweat.
Just so I can use the refrences further on. in order of weakest to strongest.
  • Mook: Goon/Red Shirt
  • Elite Mook: A advanced version of the mook, Comes in several subtypes
    • Armoured Mook: A elite mook with armour.
    • Power Mook: A mook who happens to hit harder.
    • Airborn Mook: What it says on the tin A flying Mook.
    • Mook Lieutenant: A mook who commands other mooks, often with a slightly more advanced weapon or power.
  • Named Mook: A common Grunt with a name who some how survives lots of things and comes up again and again
  • Tanker: A bad guy who is tougher than the others and is often bigger/chunkier
  • Flyer: a badguy (not a mook) who can fly, often a sniper, or bomber.
  • Glass cannon: high damage, low health badguy
  • Shielder: has a shield, often needs to be backstabbed.
  • Boomer: Explodes on death, or when close to a foe
  • Tosser: he lobs explosives, or something similar, often found in stupid places, like atop a REALLY tall building when you have to get in through the front door.
  • Unique: Not a Dragon or boss, but a one off enemy who is pretty strong, but doesn't drop anything special.
  • Dragon Guard: A mini-boss, often found guarding a area's boss,
  • Dragon: A boss of a area, may be a army general, or the guy in charge of a factory, or corrupted best friend of the Main protagonist ect.
  • Big Bad: The bosses boss, That evil killer robot the factory made, or the generals boss, or some such thing.
  • Bigger bad: The guy who ordered the construction of that killer robot or corrupted the main protagonists best friend ect.
  • Head Evil: The final boss, the evil king's master or whatever. beat him and its GG thank you, roll credits.

That's basicly the generic-troped list of badguy classifications in games/RPG's. I tend to reference it on and off when talking about enemies.

Mook is a term used to define a level of bad guy
Your standard hoard issue bad guy that turns up in groups of ones and twos at the start of the game, but by the 3rd level you can slaughter 10 of them without breaking sweat.
Just so I can use the refrences further on. in order of weakest to strongest.
  • Mook: Goon/Red Shirt
  • Elite Mook: A advanced version of the mook, Comes in several subtypes
    • Armoured Mook: A elite mook with armour.
    • Power Mook: A mook who happens to hit harder.
    • Airborn Mook: What it says on the tin A flying Mook.
    • Mook Lieutenant: A mook who commands other mooks, often with a slightly more advanced weapon or power.
  • Named Mook: A common Grunt with a name who some how survives lots of things and comes up again and again
  • Tanker: A bad guy who is tougher than the others and is often bigger/chunkier
  • Flyer: a badguy (not a mook) who can fly, often a sniper, or bomber.
  • Glass cannon: high damage, low health badguy
  • Shielder: has a shield, often needs to be backstabbed.
  • Boomer: Explodes on death, or when close to a foe
  • Tosser: he lobs explosives, or something similar, often found in stupid places, like atop a REALLY tall building when you have to get in through the front door.
  • Unique: Not a Dragon or boss, but a one off enemy who is pretty strong, but doesn't drop anything special.
  • Dragon Guard: A mini-boss, often found guarding a area's boss,
  • Dragon: A boss of a area, may be a army general, or the guy in charge of a factory, or corrupted best friend of the Main protagonist ect.
  • Big Bad: The bosses boss, That evil killer robot the factory made, or the generals boss, or some such thing.
  • Bigger bad: The guy who ordered the construction of that killer robot or corrupted the main protagonists best friend ect.
  • Head Evil: The final boss, the evil king's master or whatever. beat him and its GG thank you, roll credits.

That's basicly the generic-troped list of badguy classifications in games/RPG's. I tend to reference it on and off when talking about enemies.
That is absolutely not what we used during the creation of this roleplay, although something similar i guess. We both took the time to create demons which will be our ''foes'' in this roleplay, we have about four already i think but we will always add more and more to the list. These demons are very unique in every aspect you can imagine, to appearance, to origin, to powers, to weakness and strengths it forces our main characters to use strategy rather than just using one spell to eliminate a demon you have to first stop, look around, examine the way it moves and how it attacks and how it looks to figure out how to defeat it. So.. if you just rush demons blindly you'll die, even the low tier demons will be difficult.

So each and every demon will be unique in every way shape and form? There will be no 'standard' foe? No foot solider? So the simple way to put that it is every foe will be a Dragon. Own attack patterns, own weaknesses, ect. Fair enough, sounds like it'll be interesting.

Oh yeah, if you hadn't guessed already I'm very much interested.

I am interested in joining this, it seems like it could go very long term and I've been wanting a good story to get into.

So each and every demon will be unique in every way shape and form? There will be no 'standard' foe? No foot solider? So the simple way to put that it is every foe will be a Dragon. Own attack patterns, own weaknesses, ect. Fair enough, sounds like it'll be interesting.

Oh yeah, if you hadn't guessed already I'm very much interested.
Yep, every foe will be unique in its own way. And awesome, glad to hear you're staying with us! ^^

I am interested in joining this, it seems like it could go very long term and I've been wanting a good story to get into.
Great, welcome aboard! We hope it doesn't disappoint. :)

I'll be gone for 3 days, any questions will now be handled by Kitsune. When i get back expect the OOC to be made.

Reactions: Blue Jay
I'm interested

Interested, but I'd like to see how complex the magic system is first. :)

Hmm... This system seems incredibly interesting! I had a roleplay that was similar to this last summer, so I'll be expressing interest! (✧w✧)b

Status
Not open for further replies.