VAULT WAR - Chat & Questions

Does each conquered world have a type? That is, I'm wondering if only your starting thread gets the type bonus.

^ At first, only your starting world serves as your 'base' which determines your type and the world power you can use.

However, if you can capture a world that possesses more power than your current core power (non-absolute power stat), you can turn it into a world-type absolute - making it your new base and your new world type.

I have to admit, I'm still kinda fond of the 'soft cap' rule someone brought up earlier.
I think it's still possible to slow-build your Age and Sanity just by waiting for the weekly dump of roleplays into the vault. Each month that passes increases the maximum available in both stats.

So, absolutes become more powerful as you collect the IC, OOC, and interest check pages. I want to know if the same thing happens if you control multiple threads made by different people, but with the same subject.
We may bring that in later. But for now it has to be the specific OOC/IC/Interest Check for that roleplay.

^ At first, only your starting world serves as your 'base' which determines your type and the world power you can use.

However, if you can capture a world that possesses more power than your current core power (non-absolute power stat), you can turn it into a world-type absolute - making it your new base and your new world type.

So does your world power apply to your entire empire?

With all the crap going on, you'll even have to fix your character sheet, AND your base coordinates. ESPECIALLY your base coordinates, what with the constant thread drift between categories.

Also, someone's uncomfortably close to me. I know who it is, and he too, probably knows who I am, but I ain't telling. All I'm gonna say is that he's someone I don't want to fight.

So does your world power apply to your entire empire?
If YOU are going into battle, you can use the Type Power of your base world.

Just to be absolutely clear, this means whenever one of my world's is attacked, or I attack, my base power allows me to retreat successfully, always?

If so, this actually suits my namesake very well ..

Yeah. You can always run away from combat and leave your worlds to be taken.

But that means I can flee to a stronger world?

Wait.. so if you run from combat your worlds get auto taken?

Then why would you ever run? I thought the penalty for losing a battle was losing your world? whats the advantage to a successful escape? And here I thought Ghost was a descent class...

Also.. my problem with the suggested 'difference' Age/Sanity thing is less that there is a cap and more than you can in theory hit that cap from a single conquest. I'd rather people have to work for their stats than get a lucky really old/recent thread with few replies next to one of their own worlds.
I do quite like the points gained based on months+years ago. (I assume under this if a thread was 24 months older than you you'd gain 24 + 2? So the years basically count as bonus points?) Though I would like to see an optional +1 point if they are less Age/Sanity than you.

But the nice thing about single stat harvest is that the low power or in worst case, 0 power worlds have some actual value.

Also, it balances even luck out in the case of instances when a thread may be high age (really old), high san (really recent post) and 100+ replies. With the single harvest rules, players will have to give up on one of the nice things about this thread, rather than just getting lots of points from lucking out, as you say. The strongest characters in this roleplay had the advantage of having starting bases with those large starting values.

With single stat harvest, you can easily catch up or specialize easily.

Also, remember that the entire reason we're increasing the san/age gain is because we want people to actually consider making san/age absolutes. As the system is, the reasons for making them are very unfeasible.

Okay, so since Sanity is pretty OP and Age heals can effectively cockblock attacks, how about this as a compromise:

You take the Power of the conquered world and CHOOSE which of your stats to add that number to?

That way you can't go around toppling old Zero-reply threads and maxing out your stats. You still have to go after the big ones and defeat them in the same way. But you choose what to with the harvested power.

We could even say that you have to half it if you want to add it to Sanity.

*rubs head* >_@

Okay, so since Sanity is pretty OP and Age heals can effectively cockblock attacks, how about this as a compromise:

You take the Power of the conquered world and CHOOSE which of your stats to add that number to?

That way you can't go around toppling old Zero-reply threads and maxing out your stats. You still have to go after the big ones and defeat them in the same way. But you choose what to with the harvested power.

We could even say that you have to half it if you want to add it to Sanity.

*rubs head* >_@

Yes. That sounds perfect to me.

Also would it be worth making Age your 'health' stat instead of Power? just cos right now having a high power stat is kinda hugely more important or urgent than the other two stats?

Also still confused about running away.

If somebody wants your world, and you don't wanna fight for it, you can run away and let them have it.

If it's your base world, then I randomly determine another base for you. Sure, it may turn out to be a better world, but it could also be worse. Such is Vault Life.

As for the rule stuff, I'm getting REAAAAAAALLY tempted to go back to dice.

This game is about harvesting psychic energy - about the most well-loved stories in Iwaku's Vault. Replies are the POWER that governs everything, because without replies a roleplay is nothing.

Age was initially conceived to represent how LONG it would take to conquer a world - to overcome all its layers of history, learn all its customs, lock down all its continents and tribes. But when I proposed this is was vetoed as too complicated and Age was reduced to a simple Anti-Power stat.

Sanity was initially conceived to represent how new ideas override old ones, even if they're worse, because people like what's new and what has potential. We see this all the time when crappy new roleplays pop up and people join them because they think they'll be easier. So I wanted Sanity to be something that could get around the brute force of power. I wanted Sanity to represent the power of taunting, mind-fucking and dialogue - things that always underpinned the epicness of the Mythos.

Now, if we ignore the vetoes that were drilled into me, we could go back to a time-based system, like so:

Power stays as it is.

Age governs how many posts you have to make to conquer a world or finish a PVP combat. When you can only make 1 post per day, this will really force you to choose carefully.

And Sanity represents either a cheap-shot or an ability to break down incoming attacks. In the latter case we would change the stat to INSANITY, and do it by how many months ago it was, just like Age. An opponent can't hit you for more than your Insanity on one round - so if you have Insanity 20 you can't be hit for more than 20 - so the lower the stat the better. The more Sanity you have, the better you are at psychologically fucking with your opponent and getting the upper hand.

This would dramatically slow the game down (which wouldn't be a bad thing in my opinion, since people in the War Record are glossing over some really epic conquests in a just a few lines).

I don't see the advantage in running away now. I thought a ghost world could simply retreat from combat.

But if running away leaves the world, is it not always 100% successful? By the time you've made the decision to run away, the world is lost regardless if you are a Ghost type or not. The only 'advantage' I see here is a loophole in the rule wording that could allow one to retreat to a stronger world.

What happens if you are on a world that is conquered? Are you rebounded back to another one of your occupied worlds or is your entire empire dissolved?

You can only retreat to a world that has more power than your opponent. So a powerful opponent can keep you TRAPPED in combat (pretty useful when you have allies capturing other worlds around him). It's the ultimate cockblock.

However, a Ghost can always get away, and therefore can't be trapped.

And when one of your worlds gets conquered you have to retreat to another part of your empire. If there's nowhere else to go, it's back to square one with a new base world.

Can you use your world abilities on unoccupied worlds? Or is it just in combat?

Yep, unoccupied worlds too.

As for the rule stuff, I'm getting REAAAAAAALLY tempted to go back to dice.

This game is about harvesting psychic energy - about the most well-loved stories in Iwaku's Vault. Replies are the POWER that governs everything, because without replies a roleplay is nothing.

Age was initially conceived to represent how LONG it would take to conquer a world - to overcome all its layers of history, learn all its customs, lock down all its continents and tribes. But when I proposed this is was vetoed as too complicated and Age was reduced to a simple Anti-Power stat.

Sanity was initially conceived to represent how new ideas override old ones, even if they're worse, because people like what's new and what has potential. We see this all the time when crappy new roleplays pop up and people join them because they think they'll be easier. So I wanted Sanity to be something that could get around the brute force of power. I wanted Sanity to represent the power of taunting, mind-fucking and dialogue - things that always underpinned the epicness of the Mythos.

Now, if we ignore the vetoes that were drilled into me, we could go back to a time-based system, like so:

Power stays as it is.

Age governs how many posts you have to make to conquer a world or finish a PVP combat. When you can only make 1 post per day, this will really force you to choose carefully.

And Sanity represents either a cheap-shot or an ability to break down incoming attacks. In the latter case we would change the stat to INSANITY, and do it by how many months ago it was, just like Age. An opponent can't hit you for more than your Insanity on one round - so if you have Insanity 20 you can't be hit for more than 20 - so the lower the stat the better. The more Sanity you have, the better you are at psychologically fucking with your opponent and getting the upper hand.

This would dramatically slow the game down (which wouldn't be a bad thing in my opinion, since people in the War Record are glossing over some really epic conquests in a just a few lines).

Lets do it.