VAULT WAR - Chat & Questions

Age could be the base regeneration you get. But if that were the case then folks would still not want to make absolutes with them. Or maybe Age could act as armor, reducing how much power is bitten out of their Power and then the Absolutes of healing could be regeneration per round or whatever. So they can either leave the Age the way it is as their armor to reduce straight power attacks. Or put it all into regeneration but they would have to use it each time during their turn as an action.

Not a hundred percent sure on how things work in the first place so my idea may have a wobbly basis.

I was gonna say it but Paorou beat me to the punch. Age can't be increased beyond 61. Same for Sanity I believe (though the number might be different).

What I'd suggest is having it be so if you conquer a world with higher Age/Sanity you gain 3-5 of the stat, but you still always gain 1 if the stats are lower.
That way they are both infinitely scaleable but slow down noticeably once you hit the 'soft-cap' as it were.

Also what if Age absolutes could act as a block. Ie: you can use them as a free action in your turn to block that amount of damage from hitting you? (I'm assuming of course that since Age/age absolutes act as heals you always take the damage first and then get it back) This would act as a once per fight last ditch death-prevention. Though they probably wouldn't work against sanity absolutes?

I kinda like your idea for Sanity absolutes but i think it might encourage people to never ally with weaker members.. :x

Also if I can move to my base from any of the places I conquered can I still move to another place from my base?
Free move.

And I update my profile with the new stats right?
Yes.

Do I use the new power, sanity, and age when conquering a new thread and determining if it's more sane/older than I am?
Yes. That's how the game works.

Do the views get added or do I just use my base thread's views?
Use ONLY the Views of the world you launch the attack from.

This may be a dumb question, but is something more sane when it has more sanity points? or is it more insane?
More SANE. The less time a thread has spent in the Vault, the less banaynays the world has become.

It seems to be that it doesn't matter if you create one or not, you still end up with the same amount of power, just some of it condensed into one attack.
I see your point.

But your wording says that I can only increase sanity/age if the thread is saner/older than me. That means the max power is the upper limit of your chart, because I can't increase the score further if I am at that upper limit.

Also, +1 is a really slow increase, regardless of the potential. Especially because of the conditions to increase the values.
Yeah, I gotcha. The alternative would be to take San from OTHER PLAYERS once you reach the top limit... but that would be another raft of rules.

Not really, with the insta-top sanity/age potion, I'd have more incentive to make sanity attack/free heal absolutes, cuz I can easily restock to a manageable degree by capturing and making absolute the next world.
Fair point.

Kinda imbalanced if you make multiple age absolutes, dontcha think?
Correct again.

What I'd suggest is having it be so if you conquer a world with higher Age/Sanity you gain 3-5 of the stat, but you still always gain 1 if the stats are lower.
That way they are both infinitely scaleable but slow down noticeably once you hit the 'soft-cap' as it were.
That could be a solution...

Also what if Age absolutes could act as a block. Ie: you can use them as a free action in your turn to block that amount of damage from hitting you? (I'm assuming of course that since Age/age absolutes act as heals you always take the damage first and then get it back) This would act as a once per fight last ditch death-prevention. Though they probably wouldn't work against sanity absolutes?
That's like the original rules I made for Age.

Age Attack: Limit the amount of power they can wield per round. 1st round = -10% per year difference. 2nd round = an additional -5% per Month difference, 3rd round = -10% per Day difference. You can split this between opponents.

It was used to DISPERSE enemy attacks - to scatter and reduce an opponent's power. You had the choice of raising a Shield of Days, a Shield of Months or a Shield of Years - depending how drawn out a campaign you wanted. But then Diana swatted me for being too complicated and asking members to do percentages.

I kinda like your idea for Sanity absolutes but i think it might encourage people to never ally with weaker members.. :x
Yus...

The original Sanity rules were these:

Sanity Attack: You can choose a post in your opponent's thread and DISREGARD all posts that came after it for duration of battle - effectively REDUCING their Power. 1st round = Any DAY on your Sanity's Month and Year. 2nd round = Any MONTH on the Day and YEAR of your Sanity. 3rd Round = Any YEAR on the Day and Month of your Sanity. And if your Sanity displays as X weeks ago, you can choose any week.

This meant that Sanity was VERY effective against older threads, since they had so many more posts with times that they could be reduced to.

But again, that got Diana-splatted, cos it would force the Newbies to look at a calendar.

Having Age as the opposite of Power, and Sanity as an armour-piercer, was the most newbie-friendly idea I could think of.

But that has now proven to be balls, and we can all blame Diana for this. >:[

What do people think about ditching the conversion of Dates to Stats and instead using the original format? For example, on the first round you can use your DAYS in some way, then on the next round use your MONTHS, then on the next round your YEARS.

We'd then need to rethink the Absolutes... since Hunter's point is valid.

So....er....

THAT'S ALL THE RULES THAT NEED CHANGING! YAAAAAAAAAAAY FOR PLAYTESTING!!!!!!

*loses 90% of his players to ragequit*

T___T

Hmm I don't think we need to be too drastic with the changes.

I'll have a think about this and see what I can come up with, in the meantime I think rushing changes might be a tad foolish. Perhaps a thread for like 'mechanics suggestions' Having an OP with a short ist of things that need/should be changed could be useful.

For the meantime.. here's some ideas.

Absolute powers reduce their amount from your power but the power of the absolute is +10, or double or something.
This makes Absolutes a powerful one off attack while sacrificing your ability to take large amounts of damage at once.

Absolute Age Shields reduce your age in the same way, but can be used as a free block, rather than heal. So you can prevent yourself taking the shield's age in damage. HOWEVER they also nullify Absolute powers up to double their power completely.
(eg. a 40 Age shield will reduce a power attack by up to 40 points once per combat, but will nullify an absolute power attack of up to 80 strength.)
This means age shields are technically better for defence than your age stat but one-offs and as in the old mythos they are mainly useful for blocking the more offensive absolutes.

Not too sure about how to work Sanity absolutes though..

Well.... >_>

....we DO have a Dicebox...

Maybe the best way to stop everyone's heads exploding is to nest the Dice Box in the Vault War section and teach people how to do the dice code.

So if you have 30 power, you roll a D30 for your attack.

If you have Age 40 you roll a D40 for heals.

And Sanity is like a block on how much your opponent can roll.

Then Absolutes are either additional dice or bonuses to the roll.

<__<

It sucks when you have a high stat and you end up failing miserably because you roll a 1

Actually, I'm fine with the power rules as is because it allows for a lot of mental warfare (People who just skim stats will see lower power scores but not the absolutes and can be surprised with the right use of age defense and power attacks.)

Also, it seems people forget that certain worlds such as Archons and Champions can ban/switch around stat values, not Absolutes. That's one advantage I see from making power attack absolutes, since absolutes are relatively unaffected by world powers.

But if we want to address Hunter's concern, I suggest we make the Power Attack absolutes a free attack, similar to the free heal. Maybe have a ruling that you can only activate one absolute power per combat round.

As for the sanity/age issue: I'm also fine with the simple current ruling when used in combat. It's the gain/loss that I'm having issues with. The only real solution I can think of at the moment is the aforementioned one-time stat switch Absolute power.

Another solution could be the creation of more charts indicating how much sanity/age is gained depending on the date/time difference. Maybe have your age/san increase by increments of one for every 5/10/whatever difference.

I'm also of the opinion that there should be an option to use absolutes repeatedly in combat.

Maybe have absolutes truly serve as permanent stats, rather than the default stats we see on the char sheets. Like, if you have an absolute power attack of 10, your attacks always have a plus ten damage, but only if you deal/drain out at least one point of non-absolute power.

How this would apply to san/age I'm not yet sure.

Maybe have age absolutes serve as a defense that's always up, reducing damage dealt by opponents regardless of combat action per turn. To balance this out, only the use of normal Age Defense abilities can restore power.

Not sure what to do with sanity. Will think on this.

not anything really pertaining to the rules, but uh, everyone's character (or a majority of it) sounds evil as fuck

Yeah not sure but I seem to be one of the only ones trying to be fairly benevolent and non-killy in my world-conquests :x

Dude, we're playing characters trying to conquer and rule as many worlds as we can. Generally, that tends to lend itself to a more killy and destroy-ey mindset. XD

I was hoping for more benevolent types.

I think because me and Grumpy posted as dark brooding psychopaths first inspired a lot of copycat emos. I'm sure it will balance out.

Yeah, that is the one good thing about Absolutes, Paorou. You can't be fucked up by World Powers. And I think a Free Attack may be the way forward with Power Absolutes.

So what I need to do now is work out a fair way for San and Age to increase from conquest...

maybe do a ratio increase....the older a thread is the less age you gain but the more sanity you take in, vise versa the more sanity the less you take but you get more age as a trade off, and only if the thread is lower in stats. if it is higher then yours you get can get the max from both age and sanity. In addition you can access the full age and sanity of a lower thread but only if you are defending in a battle and only if you are the one who's thread is being attacked. Almost like a sleeper power you don't get the full benefiet unless you really need it

I was about to say . . . it seems like my character's one of the few that's relatively flowers and sunshine and crapping rainbows compared to everybody else. Glad I'm not alone in thinking that.

lol yeah I actually like paying the bad guy most of the time its a lot of fun XD

I'll admit, I honestly didn't think of it at first in terms of being an evil conquerer or a benevolent liberator or whatever you want to call the two most different options. I just look at the threads I want/need to claim, and figure out what would be the most effective way to take control with minimum destruction. Like, Pantheon - Mortal was a thread with all these races that worshipped different deities, right? So the first thing that came to mind was, destroy the temples, make their gods look impotent in the face of my power, and then have the people worship me instead. Minimum casualties, maximum effect.

Course, I killed everyone on my base world, but that was just because I really didn't like my base world.

So Faulkner's probably on the side of 'evil conquerer' at the moment, just not as extreme as Asmo and you guys like him? Someone should make like, a sliding scale or something, with different ranks for how malevolent/benevolent you are as a ruler.

Okay, what do people think about this:

When you conquer a world, you CHOOSE ONE STAT you want to harvest from it.

Either you take it's Power directly. OR you work out the Age/San difference between you and it, and take that.

Since the average power of threads in this game is 35, it's roughly level to what you would reap from Age/Sanity (since we currently have a 1-61 range). For the next few months that will be equivalent.... and since new threads are being dumped into the vault every week, the increase in available Power harvesting should keep track.

The only downside is retconning the character sheets so far. But since everyone has links to their conquered worlds it shouldn't be too hard to back-calculate.

I'm down with that. I'm assuming you mean Age/San difference for if the world your conquering has higher Age/San than you, or do you mean for that to work if their Age/San is lower, too? *amused*

...also, Saigyou. Creepy rape-tree dude. Aren't we supposed to wait 24 hours before posting to conquer another thread? Cuz it's only been 13 hours since his last conquest.

I'll go through the War Record shortly and make sure all moves are valid and properly spaced out.

But yeah, you just subtract you Age/San from theirs and take the difference. Obviously if you get a minus number then you don't get shit from that world.