VAULT WAR - Chat & Questions

• So many newbies lately! Here is a very important PSA about one of our most vital content policies! Read it even if you are an ancient member!
You mean there should be an option to use your worlds like factories and produce power/sanity/age, instead of taking a move?
I dunno if this fits into the plan, but yeah, that would be pretty cool. I feel it would also make players covet their more powerful owned worlds, making conflict and overall interaction more likely. Allies could even co-own worlds. It's just that having the power of your Absolute world be the absolute maximum power you'll ever have automatically makes it impossible for you to defend your worlds against conquerers with more power.

Quill.. just to clarify, you're aware that when you conquer a world you can:

When you successfully take a world choose one of the following.
Add it's Power to your Power
Add it's Age to your Age.
Add it's Sanity to your Sanity.

Yeah, but shuttling them off into absolutes doesn't change your total of any stat, in fact, I don't see how it would affect the outcome of a battle.

In the original pages for absolutes, you subtract it from your power total and make it a one time use for battle.

So if I have 90 power, subtract 40 to put into an absolute, I now have 50 + 40 left. My power total hasn't changed, and that is ultimately what affects the outcome of a battle. In the old system, anyways.

Yeah, but shuttling them off into absolutes doesn't change your total of any stat, in fact, I don't see how it would affect the outcome of a battle.

Though I don't want to reiterate this fact, because it would give away a lot of my fighting style : Absolutes can't be affected by world type powers. That alone gives them an edge over characters who just hoard stats.

Also the new rules being discussed give them the ability to be repeatedly effective, instead of just being used up for one turn.

Quill.. just to clarify, you're aware that when you conquer a world you can:

Add its Power to your Power
Add its Age to your Age
Add its Sanity to your Sanity

I was aware the suggestion had been made; I was unaware whether anyone was planning to involve it in the new version, so I was trying to reinforce my point.
Also, I feel that the randomization of starter worlds has made such enormous gaps in Power that we really ought not make Power *the* primary way to conquer worlds, like it was in the old game, and I agree we should institute Porg's idea of adding one of its stats to yours.

My point is, before long, players will begin colliding, and a player with a starting power of 51, who, after conquering 3 worlds, may well be at 401, will have an insurmountable advantage against a player with a starting power of 10, who, after conquering the same number of worlds with the same amount of good fortune, is still 328 power behind.

And have we decided on ways to end tie-breaks?

If not, here are some ideas. They're not as simple as Views, but they're an idea, and besides, tie-breaks are uncommon.

[ 1 ] -- # of unique users who posted on the first page
[ 2 ] -- # of day started / last reply (i.e., 14 December would win agains 2 July)
[ 3 ] -- # of days the thread lasted (date of first post minus date of last post)

So.....

Anyone for dice-based rules?

Can we get a quick recap on the problems with the current rules?

So.....

Anyone for dice-based rules?
In the old days, I'd have considered it a show of distrust on your part. Now, we both know better.

I trust you to use dice to enhance the experience with risk and uncertainty and not as a means of wresting control from players on the assumption that people simply can not be trusted. :D

Do it! Do it!

Hah, If you guys go into dice, I personally won't be against it.

But it might alienate a lot of the players who were looking for a quick conquest roleplay.

And the little simple discussions we've had here certainly won't. Roit.

I mean, you have a very good point. I suspect the same, really.

Doesn't stop me from finding it a bit silly though. It would be nice if they replied themselves instead of being silent. SUBTLE HINT! :P

Eh,.. I've already gotta open up 20 tabs and do like a hunt and research period every time i make a move.. do we really want to add a diceroller and all the stuff that entails on top of that? =/

It just seems like a slightly unessesscary addition to me.

The fact you can now block attacks mean that higher power doesn't always mean a win now.

My only concern is I think there should be a way to flee if you get attacked and keep your world.. cos say.. Asmo came and decided he wanted one of my worlds, I have no way to stop him he's way stronger than me. So he'll take the world, but then it'll take him the amount of worlds i have in days to wipe me off the map =/ cos he's only getting stronger and now has a direct chain of access through my worlds.

Well... as Coffee implied, we've probably lost 80% of the player base now just by pausing the game to go through all this.

I was told to do mind-numbing simplicity, and I attempted just that. And I did so with the assumption that it would be so simple that no major holes would be picked in it and roleplaying would remain centre-stage.

But, as Jinx screamed at me the other day, we are a forum full of game-breakers, and Vault War has been broken. My lesson is learned.

And now my Immigration is moving along and I'm starting a job on Monday. The amount of brainpower it would take to correct all this is beyond my present capacities (and I also take a small amount of pleasure in proclaiming Dark Reign as the only successful remaining Mythos installment).

So...

*puts his GM badge on the table and spins it, before walking into the shadows*

That sucks, because I was humming away on writing a scraper to gather all relevant thread information and sort according to VAULT:

http://i.imgur.com/hfxggrK.png

Ideally you would have a bot to automatically verify conquests too, because I really didn't see how you were going to keep up with that.

Well that's a shame, and there I thought we'd figured out all the problems.

Good luck with all the stuff Asmo, hope it doesn't drive you too crazy.

Maybe when you're settled and stuff people will still be interested in this, cos i'd totally still be up for playing and helping with the rules if I can :x

Eh,.. I've already gotta open up 20 tabs and do like a hunt and research period every time i make a move.. do we really want to add a diceroller and all the stuff that entails on top of that? =/
Not necessarily. But if that was what it would take, I'd be willing.

Maybe when you're settled and stuff people will still be interested in this, cos I'd totally still be up for playing and helping with the rules if I can :x
I'll definitely be interested. Count me in. In fact, I dare propose you strategy guys keep discussing ways of making this work more smoothly(because I'm generally not very good with stuff like that, despite what some may say). Also if a few of us story-oriented types could start discussing our own plans. You know; keep interest alive.

Perseverance in roleplay may not be common, but it certainly exists. And when it's there, it's awesome. I would like this to be the next Legacy or Dark Reign. I Can't See Your Love, even. When people love a concept enough to drag it across the finish line? That's a beautiful thing.

The concept of this game has me intrigued, and unlike Shattered, I managed to get free time and a good computer before it was officially pronounced dead. And I'm also not in the throes of irrational nitpicky insanity right now. :P It's the concept, the story hook, the way I can tell Asmo put effort into recapturing some of what made the major mythos RPs of the past great while addressing some problems of previous iterations, that draws me in. The idea of starting over on an epic scale with a premise justifying even more possibilities for genre bending than the old Mythos? Sweet!

But I'm not much one for the gaming aspect. Oh, it sounded like fun, but I'm here for crossovers, character-study, and describing epic battles. So if you guys can devise something that's fair to me and the others with similar motives, it'll be appreciated.

I realize what I'm asking is almost absurd in the context of an RP with such an inherently competitive premise, but can't we consider sticking with this? Or am I the only person who sees anything awesome about Vault War other than "Asmo made it, I'd better join" or "Mythos RP, chance for street cred; I'd better join" or "Meh, a way to kill time; I'll join"? I'd like to think otherwise. I'm really hoping otherwise.

Even with a small base, can't we resolve to cooperate and continue without relying on Asmo to fix everything?

I mean, if it goes well, we might regain the lost interest. I still say the the best form of advertisement for a roleplay is a solid group of players each with good stories to tell.

Let's consider retooling the whole thing if necessary. If we've got genuinely good ideas, I'm sure Asmo's reasonable enough to concede (especially given he's got pressing offline matters to contend with).

What say you all?

Reactions: 1 person
In truth, I was just here to roleplay the conquest of worlds, differing philosophies, fighting other cosmic horrors/saviors, etc etc. The system was a good way to keep me glued, much like a cow-clicker game on facebook with commercial characters.

Rules were irrelevant, to tell you guys the truth. I was more pissed off I couldn't complete my conquest of sakura musume, than worrying about the rules.

However, if you guys really want a system around the idea of world-jumping, know that I make roleplaying/fighting systems and videogames as a hobby (even an actual profession for a while), I can try to think of a system from the ground up. The only thing I'll keep from Asmo's system is the VAULT mode of movement and the once-a-day move.

Does anyone actually NEED the rule system? >__>

We could just go back to YE OLDE PANEL of judges who decide which combatant has earned it more.