Varius Giovanni x RangerKay

He stirred in his sleep as the nightmare ravaged his mind. There was a boy who looked to be around Rika's age...and he had a crooked, wicked, smile on his lips. THere was just an heir about him that read: Cruelty...contempt...persistant. And he had his family hostage...tied up and his little sister sobbing in fear. The man sent over his sister and simply slid the knife across her throat. He Cried out in horror and pain as blood sprayed everywhere. But he couldn't do anything about it....he was helpless. Once the man went over to his father...his father was trying to stay strong but tears dripped down his face. Lysander shook his head and squeezed his eyes shut, not wanting to see anything bad happen to him. That was when he woke, sitting up in his sleep quickly. Lysander groaned and wiped the sweat off his face. Looking over he saw Beth sitting in the corner on the chair...looking out across the school court yard. He moved to the side of his bed, catching his breathe.

"B-Beth...what time is it?"

WIthout looking over at him, she spoke in an eerie tone.

"It is exactly twelve thirty four A.M. Master..."

Rika shivered, having an ominous feeling it was Kiren out there. It would not have taken him long to catch up to her...

"AI, is there anyone down at the desk?" She asked, not knowing who to contact in a case like this.

"Negative, all personal have retired for the night."

Rika began to shake all over now. There was no way he could enter her room right? Not unless....Her eyes went wide. He may have some of the anti-mage council's new technology with him. If that was the case then there was nothing she could do. "Anyone you can contact?" She squeaked, before a thought came to her. "Anyway you can contact Lysander?"

"Negative." The AI responded to the first question. "Attempting to communicate with building....communication failed."

Rika gulped. "GO AWAY!" She screamed at the door. There was a pause in the clicking sound.

Then, she heard the voice she most dreaded to hear. "Riiiikkkkkkaaaaa ~ I know you're in there you stupid bitch!" Kiren's voice sounded through the door. There was a pounding and the AI starting flashing red lights in any building it could communicate with, attempting to send out an intruder alert. Rika, meanwhile, had fallen to her knees sobbing into her hands...the boy was going to slaughter her like he had the young girl and she didn't know enough magic to defend herself! No one would come, and those that did would be killed along with her....suddenly she heard the pounding of footsteps running down the hall.

"Unknown person has retreated, all students please stay in your dorms until proper personnel arrive."

Still in his day clothing he slid off the bed and walked over towards her. Beth was sitting so still...ever so still. It made the muscles in his body tense. The closer her got to her right now, the more he felt something negative in the air. But he kept walking till he froze at her side, looking outside before looking to her.

"What is going on...? Is something wrong?"

Beth's voice remained the same but she looked back to him, a frightening grin across her lips.

"We have intruders Master...permission to act?"

Permission to act? He didn't know what it was so he shook his head. The pretty blonde ghost frowned and looked back out the window.

"The intruder breached the technological defenses in place...Magic defenses are yet to be formed since the students are coming this weekend. The intruder's technology is ahead of our own so it's origin's cannot be traced. It is recommended that the master stay indoors now. Personel are handeling the situation...."

He at first intended to heed the warnings of the ghost...but he worried about how Rika was doing during all of this. So he turned on his heel and left, flying down the stairs and back into the courtyard...seeing where this intruder had gone and just who they were. Looking around he kept his eyes peeled...Approaching with caution.

Rika continued to sob, rocking back and forth. Security personnel were on their way...she vaguely heard the report from the AI. "Don't let them in! I won't see anyone in here right now!" She screamed, putting her hands up to her eyes. Her light blue pajamas were warm, but seemed to lack the comfort they normally bestowed upon her. Instead, all she could feel was cold fear traveling up her spine and sinking its claws into her hard.

~~~

Kiren dashed down the hallway, taking his tools and weapons with him. He could hear the alarms being tripped all over the place and he just smiled, knowing that one day, Rika would have her guard down. There was no way for her to hide forever. He exited the building, dashing towards the forest. He had rented a place in the nearest town, inviting his crew to join him on what he called "the hunt of a lifetime". They had accepted, one of them borrowing a wagon from their parents.

As he made his way across the courtyard he kept his gaurd up. He knew enough physical defense to protect himself but he couldn't fight nor defend with his magic as of yet. As he moved closer to the building where Rika was staying he saw a figure dart towards the forest. He tensed up and whirled around to catch any details he could of the person. From the build he could tell it was a man but not much else. He frowned and clenched his fists. Lysander could only hope that the person who had broken in was not a member of the Anti-Mage council. If he was...eventualy they would find out he was here. Not only would that bring trouble to him...but his family would be haressed again. Biting his lip he just stood and watched as the figure disappeared off into the dark woods. It would have done no good to chase him...

==============================================================

She had heard the alarms go off, and that was what jolted her from her quarters. Lydia jumped to her feet and in her tank top and shorts took off towards the tower where her students would be staying. The woman had to get to them and make sure the intruder had not hurt any of them. Barefooted she made her way to the tower that had already been entered by a defense force here on campus. Pushing through them, they cleared the first floor as she made her way up to the second level. From her place she heard one girl's sobbing above the cries of concern from another male student who had arrived that day. It seemed familiar..and she recognized it as her student's voice...Rika's voice. Stopping at the door she pounded on it.

"Rika, It's okay, I'm coming!"

Turning away from the door she called to the AI unit.

"AI, Open Student Rika DeJour's Room, Acsess requested by staff member number 822, Lydia Margret Buford. Student safety no longer Compromised!"

Rika's sobbing from the inside of the room worried her...she bit her lip. Waiting for the response.

"Access granted. Staff member code recognized. Student Rika DeJour requested Student Lysander's presence...communication failed." The AI unit spat out before the door swung open.

Rika was curled into a tiny ball, cringing as the door opened. She expected it to be Kiren, coming in to kill her.

"Student Rika DeJour possesses high vital signs." The AI was currently monitoring all of the vitals of the students in his building, the programming for emergency situations kicking in to alert medical staff of the worst cases.

~~~

Kiren swung the door open to the tavern. "Boys!" He hollered, motioning for them to follow him up to the room. As they followed he looked back smiling, "We got ourselves a hunt. She's there, and she's a student..."

He carefully made his way across the courtyard...finnishing the distance between How dorm room and the tower. The tower was surrounded and drown in security personal. This was one of the most populated buildings on campus...three out of the four floors filling to the brim. With so many student's under threat of course it was going to be crowded right now. Lysander squeezed in through the gaurds after confirming his name with them as he heard his name of the AI system. The mage knew the second floor was the earth mage floor so he climbed on set of stairs. Walking down the hall quickly he found one door open. He turned on his heel and went though it. Inside was his aunt, trying to calm down A very shaken up Rika. She looked like she was on the verge of having a panic attack. The teenager looked down at Rika.

"R-Rika...? W-what is going on?"

Rika remained sobbing. "H-he w-was he-ere." She spat out in between hiccups. She shivered, curling tighter into a ball, pushing away anyone that tried to approach her.

~~~

Kiren laughed menacingly as he and his gang sat down. "Okay, so the building she's in has plenty of security...nothing we can't hack. Plus, it's got a lot of other mages."

The other boys rubbed hands in glee and smiled at each other. "It's gonna be a slaughter."

Lysander Frowned and walked closer to her, pushing against her efforts to push him away. He held her face firmly but gently in his hands, caressed. The mage forced her to look at him, a soft smile on his lips as he wiped her tears from her face. The man didn't feel like smiling but he had to calm her down...he could feel her heart beat though his fingers as he touched her.

"Who is...he Rika?"

He listened to her then bit his lip and glanced back at his aunt before looking back to her.

"We will figure something...The council was alerted to the problem and they won't let anything happen to as many student's as they can protect...And If I can help it...he won't hurt you..."

Rika slowly calmed down at Lysander wiped the tears from her face. "Kiren, he was here..." She stifled a sob, putting her hands up to grab his. "H-he..." She closed her eyes and shook. She reached out and grabbed him around the waist. "He tried to g-get in..." She said, resting her forehead in the crook between his neck and shoulder. She was shaking uncontrollably. "P-please..."

As she started to calm down he started to relax again. But when she told him that the man who had killed a young girl was here...he tensed up again. Without looking back he could tell his aunt was giving him a confused look.

"I am assuming you know where she came from...he is a man whom she courted at one point but he was rather crude....He is also part of the Anti-Mage council..."

As he said that she reached out and wrapped her arms around his waist. She continued to say that he tried to get into her room. Then he felt his own heart skip a beat as she rested her forehead in the crook of his neck. He stayed there for awhile before he helped her carefully to her feet, supporting her and helping her baclk to her own bed, Lysander again helped her sit down and looked at her.

"My father and the rest of the council will come and protect as many people as they can...Kiren is only one person...and there can only be so many of his followers...It will be okay...."

Rika allowed him to guide her back to her own bed, continuing to shake. She clung to him and shook her head. "No...eventually he'll come back."

Lysander could still feel her shaking as she clung to him. This man had scared this woman more than he had ever seen anyone be afraid. Even when the Anti-mage council Attacked his own family he could see more annoyance in his family's faces then fear. The shaking woman said he could and would come back. The man pulled away from her grip to look her right in the face again.

"Listen to me Rika...when he does come back...the Council will have set up the magic barrier around this place that protects it...he won't, despite any technology get past that...the only way to beat the kind of Magic the council uses is an even stronger magic...none exsists. Only they themselves can penetrate it and allow others to pass through...Besides that...I will not allow him to hurt you. I promised, didn't I? I will lierally make his internal organs seep through his pours before that happends....have a little faith...eh?"

He mustered a soft, warm smile for her.

Rika reached up and grabbed his hands. Closing her eyes and trying to swallow her fear. "Okay...I'm sorry." She sniffed. "Am I still safe here?" She asked, her breathing slowing. She could still hear the tapping at the door, as if he was still there...watching her.

Lysander shook his head at the question, gently squeezing her hands and she grabbed his.

"Probably not...I think they are Evacuating the building and having everyone stay within the main building at the time being. I do believe that means me as well. In there we will have the full guard force, the Council and the other staff and teachers to protect us..."

At this same time ther was a knock at the door before it opened. His aunt stepped though and waved them on.

"Let's go...they are evacuating everyone..." she went over and grabbed Rika's plant, as to make sure it was not left behind. "Once the rest of the student's come tomorrow it will be kind of cramped but for now it is more important everyone is safe..."

Lysander helped her back up and led her back towards the hall way and down, out of the building. All the student's were following behind with a gaurd to the sides and front and back. They were all behing led to the castle where they were directed to the dining hall.

Rika nodded. She went for her plant, smiling as she realized that Lydia had grabbed it first. "Thank you." She grabbed her bag and slung it on her shoulder before allowing Lysander to help her towards the hall and out of the building.

"Lysander?" She whispered shyly. "Where will everyone sleep?" She had not yet been to the main building since classes had not officially started.

He thought about it before awnsering. Thinking off all the different places where one could sleep within the castle. Looking around the expansive lunch hall he looked back to her.

"They will probably clear the tables away and set up some cots in here...the infirmary, and probably some of the classrooms on the next floor up. Every year they have a huge welcome party for everyone but apparently this year Kiren decided that wasn't going to happen..."

Some of the students around them were shaking in fear, some crying much like Rika had. As the rest of the crowd as ushered in the dining halls massive doors shut behind the students. At the head of the room, looking over everyone was the Head Mistress. She was shorter in stature and had a head full of grey hair with a stern look on her face. All over the room Staff shushed the students as she spoke.

"STudents! Students! Remain calm...within these walls you are safe...but you must listen to directions as they are given to you...!"

"Oh..." Rika grabbed his arm, holding onto it tightly. "Is there a chance..." She let the question drop as the Head Mistress began to speak.

The teenager looked down to her as she gripped his arm tightly. She started to ask a question but the Head Mistress began to talk...as she spoke he looked back to her, listening.

"Girl and Boys!" she said. "You will be separated by gender and class! Ladies, up to the second floor with you, you will be safer there. Gentlemen...you will be down here and help out where you are told to! Breakfast will be served at the same time as normal in the dinner hall! Please seperate now and let us get this done as swiftly as possible!"

As everyone began to move he looked back to her, smiling gently.

"Is there a chance that...what?" he asked..leading her on ask her question.

Rika heard the announcement with a touch of fear. "Wha-what?" She clung to Lysander. "I don't know enough to..." She frowned.

She was jolted by Lysander's question. "Nothing..." She looked down at her feet. "Wait, what about my plants?!" She cursed, anger appearing across her face. "If Kiren has ruined that for me, I'll kill him myself...."