Varius Giovanni x RangerKay

Nora watched the girl that had come to the table. She was a pretty girl...a red head with vivid eyes and freckles. Someone who her mother would have considered a "Country Bumpkin". The woman didn't like the term so she just spoke of them as Country Folk. Just because one didn't live in a town or city didn't make them anything less then Aristocats like her. But something seemed off...although she didn't know Rika it would have been obvious to anyone. Rika wandered off then came back with a Pear, taking only a bite before watching her and her life long friend, Lysander. Nora tilted her head a bit, looking at Rika. Stopping the talk her and him had started, she nervously fiddled with her fingers. Something her mother had always discouraged her from doing. The blonde looked to the young man and leaned in whispering to him.

"She looks...Ill. Something is wrong Lysander..."

He nodded in agreement before doubtfully, questioning Rika once again.

"You are clammy Rika...and you look very dazed...Maybe you should Finnish breakfast...and then I can take you up to the...nurses office..."

Rika waved a hand. "I'm okay. Just tired I think." She looked at the pear disdainfully. "But, I suppose you're correct about breakfast..." She picked the pear back up, eating it with a lack of interest while she watched Nora out of the corner of her eye.

~~~

Kiren's troupe woke, rubbing their eyes and wincing as he went around the room opening curtains. "The toxin should be taking effect."

"Just a moment...please Nora."

Lysander stood up and slipped underneath the table, popping back out at Rika's side of the table. He skillfully slipped back into the seat next to her and then turned. The mage stood up and gently pulled Rika to her feet and out of the room. In a hallway off the dining hall, leading up to the stair case, he stopped and turned to her, looking at her confused.

"You weren't like this yesterday...and your looking at Nora like she is competition for something. Plus you look sick...your Clammy, dazed. My magic has everything to do with the body so I know when something is wrong...Something isn't right. You should go see the nurse again. I don't want to hear you tell me it's just because you are tired. You just woke up...you can't be tierd already Rika..."

Rika tossed her pear onto the table as Lysander drug her into the hallway. She listened to Lysander impassively. "EH, so what?" SHe rolled her eyes. "I'm not weak you know." She fussed, looking at him dazedly. Her heart began to race and she shook her head, putting a hand to her heart. "Lysander?" Her eyes cleared for a moment and she slumped against the wall.

"You're right...I don't feel well..."

The enchantment mage frowned deeply as she rolled her eyes at him, telling him that she wasn't weak. He didn't know Rika like he wanted to but this didn't seem like the woman he met not too long ago. Suddenly the country girl put a hand to her chest, slumping against a wall. Finally she admitted to not feeling so well. He looked at her and moved, picking her up in his arms bridal style. Carefully he carried her up the stairs and into the Nurses office. There was no one there...but he decided to go in anyways. He laid Rika on the bed and sat on the edge, looking back down at her. He pressed his two fingers to the side of her neck, checking her pulse. As he felt it...he went pale. It was racing rather fast...so fast that if he didn't figure something out soon, the woman as done for. The deep frown returned as he remembered the time line of things.

"Kiren..." he said. After heaving a heavy sigh he looked into her eyes. "but I need you to stay calm okay? No matter how bad it seems to get...you will be okay..."

Saying that reminded him of something his mother used to tell him as a child. Just to tolerate and deal with all the doctors who followed and examined his own weak heart.

Rika lay down on the cot, her heart still racing. "I'm sorry...I don't know what was wrong with me before..." She looked up at Lysander. "I'm never sick..." She closed her eyes, trying to keep her breathing even.

"Go back to Nora..." Rika said. She put a hand under the pillow. His fingers seemed like a flame when they checked her pulse and she winced. "Go back to Nora..." She insisted.

~~~

Kiren stared out the window. "Let's go. They probably moved all the students to a secure location."

Lysander shook his head to all of her statements. He refused to go anywhere with her in this condition. And with the nurse Nowhere in sight, he would have to do something. But he didn't know exactly what he should do. Her hands were freezing, her heart racing, personality shifts...what was going on? He didn't know exactly where to start...where the sickness stemmed from but he had to think fast. Swallowing a lump in his throat, he realized that he would have to use his own magic. And a "safe amount" would not do either. He would have to regulate her core temperature and the temperature of her extremities, slow down and maintain a safe and steady heart rate, and importantly regulate the chemicals in her brain that would effect her personality swings. It was a hefty demand but he wasn't in a posistion to deny it. He would rather it be himself after all than a woman. Lysander reached out and touched her cheek, gently.

"Remember...I told you that I wasn't going to let him hurt you. It is obvious that he has done something because someone doesn't get sick this qucikly...I'm going to help you okay? Don't worry about me..at all. I will be fine."

He forced himself to smile warmly for her, reassuringly.

Rika shook her head. "No, just go find a nurse...." She looked up at Lysander. "I'm sorry." She sniffled and tears fell down her cheeks.

"Stupid Kiren...." She huffed in anger.

~~~

Kiren gathered his boys, all of them stomping down the inn's stairs and out the door. They were prepared to break in and start planting bombs. "Remember, boys...carefully."

He shook his head, looking down at her. Lysander, brushed the tears away from her face with his fingers.

"There isn't any time...your heart rate is too fast for that. You don't need to apologize either because I will be just fine...." he said.

Lysander didn't know if his last five words were true but at that moment he didn't care. He needed to make sure Rika was going to be okay.

"Just stay still okay? Stay still and do your best to relax..."

The man placed his hands on her head and closed his eyes...concentrating. Lysander muttered the words underneath his breathe that he remembered screaming at man who had attacked him, the words that just came to him with no warning. They were the words that allowed him to increase the speed of the man's heart rate and kill him. But they could be used in reverse. Focusing, he felt more than a safe amount of his magic seep into her body through her skin, and go right for the heart. The magic gripped her heart and squeezed it, forcing it to slow down. This is what too a majority of his magic. He could feel his sensitive heart, pick up speed and his breathing heavier. He bit his lip and continued, pushing onwards to continue on to help her.

Rika reached her hands up to grab his, feeling his magic seep into her skin and blend with her own. She tried to breathe as she felt her heart rate slow down. "Lysander, stop." She panicked as she felt his own pulse quicken through the hands he was holding. "Please, stop." She begged, tears rolling down her cheeks.

Beginning to feel light headed he looked over at her, seeing tears roll down her cheeks. She pleaded with him to stop, twice, but he shook his head.

"N-No...I k-keep my promises...I am fine...see?" he breathed, smiling weakly at her.

He then tried to focus again and closed his eyes, forcing some of the magic away from her heart. He did leave some there though to maintain her heart rate. The next concern was her freezing extermities. Fusing some of the magic to her blood, he forced it to her extemities, heating them up to normal temperatures. Then once he had done his best to regulate the Chemicals in her brain, he pulled away, leaving the magic there to maintain the body until it could do it for itself. Then it would just disappear without a trace. Once he had pulled away he tried to sit up strait but couldn't. His head was spinning wildly and he fell back onto the floor, finding it hard to breathe. His heart rate was through the roof, he gripped at his chest, biting his lip to bite back the pain.

Rika screamed as Lysander fell on the floor. She scrambled off the cot, hugging his chest. "I'm so sorry, I told you to stop!" She began to cry. "Stupid man..." She curled up right by him, fear filling her. Her breath came out ragged and quickly and she put her forehead to his chest. "I'm sorry." She cried.

~~~

Kiren saw the men populating the grounds and acting as a watch and he frowned, calling off his crew. "Not today...." he whispered, motioning them back to the inn.

As each moment passed his heart rate started to rise. He looked over and saw Rika scramble off the cot and over to his side. She apologized, it being clear she was filled with fear, panic. The country girl began to cry and curl up next to him...putting her head on his heaving chest. Desperately he gasped for breathe, looking at her.

"H-Help...G-Get help..."

He could feel a panic flowing through him but he did his best to hide it.

Rika kissed Lysander on the forehead before scrambling up, tearing out into the hallway. I should have just died...She shook her head at the thought. "HELP!" She screamed at the top of her lungs, her magic escaping relentlessly in her panic. She pounded down the stairs, dashing away tears as quickly as they appeared. "Someone! Help! Please!" She put a hand over her heart, feeling it pick back up. Rika pounded her fists against the wall, surprised when the plants in the hallway responded to her by wobbling in their pots, trying to help her.

Earth magic is completely useless...why couldn't I be a water mage?! She screamed mentally.

After she had pointed out her nephew to Rika, she walked over to her table. The teacher's table. Lydia looked around and locked eyes with another male. His name was Alistair, and he was the teacher for the water mage students. He was also a very handsome man...not to mention the other Doctor here on campus. Lydia was the youngest amungst her parent's three children. She was Thirty years old and still not married. But it wasn't like she didn't try...she was just rather picky when it came to the person she would be spending her life with. But Her and Alistair had been friends for many years...and for those many years she had hidden her affection for the man. it was difficult for her to express emotions like she felt for him...not wanting to ruin the friendship that had been established. Walking over she sat next to him and looked over him. He had tied back pitch black hair and silver eyes. Being tall and lean but muscular, it was a surprise he wasn't married or betrothed yet. As they talked, she heard Rika's voice calling out for help. Alistair's eyes widened and they jumped to their feet, he following her out to the hall. Rika was pouding her fists against the wall. She stopped, fear slowly seeping into her blood stream.

"Rika! What is wrong?" she called out.

"Kiren...he posioned me....Lysander tried to help and now..now..." Rika broke down into sobs. She ran back up the stairs, not caring whether they followed or not. She ran over to Lysander's side running hands along his forehead. "I'm sorry...I'm so sorry.." She put her head to his chest, sobbing profusely.

Her eyes widened in shock as she listened to her. Lysander had used his magic without further knowlage to try and help Rika? Stupid, stupid boy! If he tried to repair and extensive amount of damage then...his heart! In her panic, she ran after the red head, Alistair following her. They ran into the infirmiry and saw him laying on the floor, now looking very pale. Tears stung her eyes, her body shaking.

"L-Lysander...."

The man rushed past her and over to the other side of her nephew. Alistair rushed over and checked his pulse, he looked over to Lydia, looking serious but calm and composed.

"His heart beat has dropped drastically...but don't worry. I can help him but he is going to need some breathing space..."

Rika grabbed Lysander's hand, stroking it, trying to reassure herself as much as she was him. "It's okay..." She managed to say through her tears. She looked back at Lydia. "I'm so sorry..." She closed her eyes, trying to calm her own heart rate. If Lysander had not of helped her, it could be her on the floor right now.

"Why didn't you go get help...and leave me..." Rika whispered, shaking her head.

From the time that Rika had left to go get help, to the time she came back, his heart rate had dropped drastically. He didn't ache all over from his heart pounding roughly on the inside of his body, but not he felt exausted. Just like he wanted to close his eyes and sleep...for a long time. Right now his heart was weakly, barely beating in his chest. He had definitly over did it. No magic for him...for a long while. He would need to recharge his batteries that had been drained of their juices. Suddenly he cried out in pain as he could feel his blood, in sharp needles push against his skin and flow towards his heart. Opening his eyes widely he saw another man who had his hand hovered just right above his own chest....Directing the blood flow. Lysander could feel the blood flow regularly through his heart, getting it to pulse normally again. Slowly but surely he started to feel more and more awake. And his heart, started to regulate itself again with the normal flow of blood and magic, flushed his pale skin again slightly. As he was more concious of what was around him, he saw Rika in Tears. The memory was a blur. So he just looked at her with a weak smile and spoke, his voice cracking.

"I...I am okay...S-See? I told You I W-Would be..."

Rika continued to stroke his hand. "I'm s-sorry." She stuttered through the tears. She wished it had been her on the floor. If she had stayed away from Lysander...she lay down, curling up by him, sobbing onto his chest. Anger flashed through her, demanding she kill Kiren for this....show Kiren how much pain she was able to inflict....her parents had taught her too well....she could make him regret ever coming into her life.

Emotions waged war within her, the anti-mage daughter demanding revenge...while the real Rika quivered out of fear for Lysander. She did not know what to do, she was not used to so much anger. She just needed to be comforted...but she did not know how. Her parents had never been caring with her, instead they taught her the anger and distance while her plants taught her hope and love.