Varius Giovanni x RangerKay

When he heard what she said, he gently reached out and touched her hand as she brushed her fingers over the tiny little sprouts. He forced his a smile for her, speaking.

"Hey...don't think that. He is one person...with perhaps some willing supporters. The mage council is strong and anyone who loves thier magic like most mages do...they are not going to sit down and let themselves be executed. I've grown up around mages all my life...they would rather die fighting then sit and feel sorry for themselves...myself included. Besides...there is always hope...I doubt it can happen but as long as thier is hope maybe some of these new generation mages can can change the thinking of our stubborn old parents..."

Rika laughed. "Yes, yes we can change their thinking. I was just thinking that." She blushed furiously when he touched her hand.

"But still...Kiren is a vicious boy. He will try." She rolled her eyes. "He already has a gathering, and they had infiltrated a mage home, killing a young girl they had found within." She rotated her shoulder, remembering how easily she had been attacked by the fire mage. "Is there a defense for Earth Mages?"

His fake smile slipped away and was replaced by a genuine one when she blushed very furiously at his touch. He noticed just how easy it was to make her cheeks run how with blood. Most girls were very cute when they blushed...but somehow Rika had a different kind of cute. Different but better...yes...definitly better. Then she told him her story about the young girl and he pulled his hand away. Lysander's heart went out to the poor girl...never a chance to grow up and have a family...lifelong friends...develop her magic. It was a shame...and one that he would have to study hard to eliminate. If, one day he could make it onto the Grand Council of Mages, he would be able to get close enough to the organizations very core to put it to a stop. The boy looked back up to her with his crystal blue eyes at her question.

"Yeah there is...and I would teach it to you but I can't do earth Magic. The only one in my family who can't use natural magic and yet they are expecting so much out of me...anyways...It is an intermediate technique I've only see my Aunt and Dad use it when some Anti-Mage Council members found our house and attacked us..."

Rika stiffened. "Your family was attacked?" She looked at him, her green eyes filled with pity. "I'm so sorry..." She regretted the help she had provided to the anti-mage council. It was bad enough that the younger girl had died while she was with her parents...while that boy was in her town. The speeches, and words that he spoke had caught like fire among the younger generation in her town. She knew that most of them had turned and joined Kiren's group before she made her way here. He had seen where she was going, he had known that she was working with the mages somehow, he just assumed it was an infiltration for the anti-mage council.

Rika sighed. Once he talked to her parents, the cat would be out of the bag. She shrugged in defeat, her eyes lighting up. Let them try to come take her! She would turn them in herself. Here, in the mage academy, she was relatively safe.

When she apologized he waved his hand, a friendly smile on his lips as if dismissing the comment.

"Don't worry about it...it was before my sister was born...and I was only seven years old so I don't remember it too clearly. It was bound to happen and I wouldn't put it past them to try again. They make a living out of harassing my family and the families of all the other grand mages especilly. But you will learn it, the defense, as part of the earth mage lessons...."

Lysander bit his lip and looked down. The part where he had said he barely remembered it was just a lie. In fact he clearly remembered it....it was the day he had accidentily killed one of the Anti-Mage council members with his enchantment magic. By mistake, figuring out that was the kind of Mage he was. He remembered the death clearly in his mind bit tried to shake the thought from his head. The man was an enemy and it was an accident but that didn't mean he still couldn't hold the guilt from it.

Rika looked at Lysander. "Well, it's getting late..." She said with reluctance. She didn't want to go back to her lonely room, where she would lie in bed feeling helpless and depressed. Perhaps there was a way to take a plant with her? Even just one plant would help her...she suddenly thought back to what Ms. Lydia had said about a plant that needed a lot of care.

"Uh, Miss Lydia mentioned a plant? She only had one seed per student?" She frowned. If she could have that one plant, then perhaps it would not be so lonely for her. If not many Earth Mages had applied this year, the chance of her being roomed with someone was rare. Even then, she didn't want to be roomed with anyone else just in case Kiren did come launch an attack...which, he was bound to do once he figured out that it was not an undercover operation.

He nodded, agreeing with the Earth mage. The sun was about to set. Once it did, it would leave them wondering around after dark. That was a bad Idea, very bad idea. The grounds had beasts that would wonder around through the yards on their way back to the depths of the black wood forest just beyond them. Plus the staff members were not too fond of students who wondered and tried to sneak into places they didn't belong. But then she asked about the plant that his aunt must have told her about earlier. And she didn't even have to finnish for him to know which plant it was. It was the ones that were adorned in his Dorm house on the huge dining table. They were beautiful but the fact they could talk back after only gently stroking their leaves or petals freaked him out a bit. Rising to his feet he dusted himself off before nodding and helping her to her feet.

"Yeah...follow me. I know what your talking about."

He lead her over to the biggest green house and pushed the door open. Inside were rows and rows of growing and ripe out of season plants, vegetables, and fruits. Then in the far back of the green house, in the seed room, was a small lock box ingrained into the wall. He unlocked it and sitting inside were a few clear, small, see through packets with a single seed inside of them. Each one was labeled different according the the sub species of the plant. On the front were simple of strict instructions as to the raising of the single plant. It also said that certain plants would match better with different personality types based on the knowladge that the plants had and were able to aquire.

"There you are...choose carefully, then back in the main room there in a larger Indoor clay pot, and some nutrient infused soil...my aunt teaches here...and her name is Lydia so you must have met her already. I know where she keeps all this since I've seen one of these plants raised before....It is pretty cool. But not going to lie, when they talk telepathically, your in for a whole diffrent experience...in a good way..." he said...somehow knowing this was something she would enjoy.

Rika followed Lysander, gaping at the greenhouse. It seemed bigger on the inside than it had on the outside. She watched as he opened a small lock box and brought out different seed packets. She nodded at his suggestion to choose carefully, smiling widely at the fact that they talked telepathically.

She looked down at the different packets, her eyes wandering until they stopped on a pouch. Her gaze felt drawn there, and her fingers itched to pick up the dusty rose colored seed. It seemed that her instincts were to pick it up. Her fingers reached out, and she barely glanced at the description before looking up at Lysander. "This is the one." She said with confidence, not even brushing her hair back as a strand fell on her cheek. For once, she was certain in her decision. She may not know what the future held with that plant, but she knew that it was one she needed.

In the time that she had been looking over the seeds, he had wondered out of the back room to the main room. Going over to one wall he collected the supplies she would need to get started with the plant. Other things would be needed later but his aunt could help her with the details. He then came over to her once she had told him she had found the one she wanted. Setting the supplies down, he took the other packets from her and looked at the one she had picked. It was a dusty rose colored seed and not one of these plants he had seen his Aunt raise. Lysander tucked away the rest of the seeds back into the lock box and motioned to the supplies.

"You will need those...Just the basics I know...but my aunt can show you the details later...once the seed sprouts and the sprout matures some. Your always welcome to stay for a bit longer and make use of the supplies here or you can take them with you back to the dorm."

"I'll take them to the dorm, it's getting too late for me to want to be out much longer." Rika clutched the seed to her chest, picking up the supplies in her arms to take with her to the dorm. She was excited at the prospect of planting the seed, wondering what it would become and turn into. She spun on her heel, balancing the delicate items, putting the seed packet in-between her teeth so she didn't lose it.

He watched as she picked up all the supplies. Everything in her arms looked like it was about to fall and tumble to the earth. A small chuckle escaped his lips. It was quite the sight to see her balance all the things in her arms. But as she turned on her heel, so did he, following her out of the green house. The sun was nearly set...sending streams of red streaking across the wide, expansive sky. It was a beautiful sight. A warm smile spread across his lips and he looked to her, the remaining light hitting him just the right way. It made him look very handsome, bringing out his natural features.

''Good luck with your plant...and watch your step on the way back. Forest creatures cut across the courtyard going to and from the forest. I will see you later...breakfast and lunch are served in the dorms...so I will see you after then. After I speak to the headmaster, I am going to get some sleep...I am exhausted.''

Rika looked at him, gulping as the light hit him perfectly. "Mhmm." She said, still clutching the seed packet between her mouth. She was too stunned by his striking features to pay much attention to what he said. She paused in her walking, staring at him, until she realized what she was doing. She looked away, red flooding her face in her embarrassment. If she hadn't of been holding everything in her arms, she would have brushed the hair away from her face in her nervousness.

The man could tell she was just staring at him. He grew a bit tense, not know exactly her reason for doing so...but he relaxed again after a moment. Realizing it might just be dirt on his face from when he had retrieved the soil for her. As she broke her gaze and began to walk off...so did he. So when she paused to look back at him again, he didn't notice. He made his way back into the castle and to towards the top floor. He appraoched a tall door and paused, rapping on the door heavily, knowing he would not be heard any other way. Lysander stood there until the door opened, an older woman standing in the door way. As soon as she saw him, a smile came across her face, her amber eyes flashing happily.

"Lysander...My...look at you...it has been a long time!"

Rika rushed towards the dorm, excitement that she had planting to do. A dark shape rushed by in her peripheral vision, and she paused for a moment. The hair on the back of her neck stood up and she began to walk even faster towards her dorm. Reaching the door, she nudged it open with her toes, feeling as if someone was watching her. She breathed a sigh of relief as she leaned against the door, closing it behind her.

Welcome back Miss Rika. Class schedules have been sent to rooms.

The words flashed across the floor as the tower acknowledged her. Rika grinned and went to climb the stairs, excited to plant the seed of her new plant.

It was well past midnight once he finnished talking to the head master. She had explained every little detail to him about his special Enchantment classes. They would be long...taking anywhere from half his day to the whole day. On top of that he was put into a literature class so he stayed brushed up on his writing and reading. There were other classes but his work load would be in his Enchantment class and his Health class. Because his magic was manipulating matter and cells within the body to do as he directed them to he was forced to take a class, detailing every bit of matter he would be rearranging at some point in his life. With his heavy sigh he tucked his class schedual into his pocket and walked across the moonlit court yard to his dorm. When he got inside, some of the ghosts nod sealed to a spesific room had old fashioned lamps lighting the inside with a dim glow. He walked up the wide, grand stair case up to his room. There, inside, Beth had the small table set up with a mouthwatering stew ready. It was late but he was starving, having missed dinner. He smiled at the ghost who had her back to him, before speaking.

"That...smells great Beth..."

Rika opened the door to her room, setting the materials down on her table. Taking the pot she filled it with soil, adding in nutrients before planting her seed. She watered it, before carrying it into her bedroom with her. She set it on her end-table. Singing she changed into her nightclothes, having the AI send her schedule to her bedroom. She frowned as she read it.

Earth Magic Basics
Gardening
Earth Magic Defense
Literature, Reading, and Writing
History of Magic
Magical Creatures and Defense

The ghost woman jumped in surprise and then looked back to him, gathering herself. After a moment she tried to offer him a smile as well but he had only earned a half hearted one.

"Welcome back Master...I-I mean L-Lysander. Forgive me...I was cleaning and forgot the time. I decided on something very simple if you do not mind Sir..."

Lysander chuckled and went over to the table, sitting in the chair with a heaved sigh. It was a long day...the longest he rememebered having. But he was glad he had met Rika...the school was an aweful place to be alone. Beth came over and placed a bowl of soup before him, before returning to the fire place on the far side of the room, making sure the fire was burning bright. The soup was a simple carrot, potato, and corn beef stew. It was think but the smell was taunting him. So he took a bite, savoring the taste. It was delicious...he decided that Beth was a very good cook.

What did Magical Creatures and Defense mean? Rika shook her head as her stomach growled.

"We have loaded your fridge with food and ingredients based on your preferences." The AI said, startling Rika out of her thinking. Smiling, she exited her room and walked over to the fridge. Upon opening it, she found an already prepared roast beef sandwich with carrots. Realizing it sounded perfect to her right now, she grabbed the plate, eating it quickly on her way back to her room. She lay down on her canopy bed, sighing at his softness. She looked at her pot where her rose colored seed had been planted and smiled.

He savored the soup, eating it slowly. The teenager was starving...not having eaten since breakfast this morning. When he finnished the ghost woman was standing silently on the other side of the room. He could tell her hands were shaking as they were clasped togeather. Her head was down and her eyes to the ground, not ever looking at him. Once he put his spoon down in his bowl, he relaxed and called over over. Beth hurried over to his side, looking a bit frightened.

"Y-Yes S-Sir...?"

"Beth...If I have to order you I will. But you need to relax...even if it is just around me..."

The woman seemed to loosen up and bit and nodded, offering him a soft genuine smile.

"Thank you Lysander..."

He stood up and walked over to his bed, falling back on it. As soon as he did...he close his eyes...Dozing off as soon as he did.

Rika's eyes closed and soon she was asleep. It was peaceful and restful until sometime around midnight.

There was a tapping on her door, small and hardly noticeable. Luckily, in the silence Rika had been able to hear the sound. She jumped out of the bed, shaking in fear and wondering what was out there. "AI, who's out there?" She whispered, looking around for a weapon of any kind.

"Unknown"

"What do you mean unknown?! I thought you knew everyone!" She hissed, frightened out of her mind.

"Unknown, subject not in the database."

"How did they get in the building? I thought you protected it." Rika found a chair, nearly stumbling over it in the dark, she lifted it, holding it before her like a shield.

"Unknown, point of entry not found."