The World of Narif (Sign-up/OOC)

• So many newbies lately! Here is a very important PSA about one of our most vital content policies! Read it even if you are an ancient member!
Status
Not open for further replies.
There's Photoshop Touch if you're interested, @Shadowski. You can get it for $10 on your iPad. XD

For Tabs, just use the following code.

Code:
[tabs]
[tab=INSERT TAB NAME HERE]

INFO HERE[/tab]
[tab=INSERT OTHER NAME HERE]
OTHER INFO HERE[/tab][/tabs]

It'll come out like this:

Yeah i'm really not one for stats and such. It puts way too many limiting factors on the whole RP in general. Plus it suddenly puts those who aren't as strategically-minded IRL at a massive disadvantage, same for those whose units are relatively weak. I'd much rather trust people to not go overboard - If they've already stated they've got a massive force engaged in a battle in the west of their landmass, they can't expect to be able to move another equally large force up to the north of the next landmass within a short time.

http
There's Photoshop Touch if you're interested, @Shadowski. You can get it for $10 on your iPad. XD

For Tabs, just use the following code.

Code:
[tabs]
[tab=INSERT TAB NAME HERE]

INFO HERE[/tab]
[tab=INSERT OTHER NAME HERE]
OTHER INFO HERE[/tab][/tabs]

It'll come out like this:

Thank you for that! I actually do I have an app similiar to photoshop, but there's no way I can get photos onto Iwaku. So that's not the problem

@Archwar sorry, are your lands called Empica, or Emperica? It changes through your CS's multiple times and i need clarification >_<.

@Ruko @Mowkie @Archwar Now, once i'm done with the map, i need to know something before i do the CS. Would you all rather do this RP as a game (Actual unit numbers, Events, Empire Status', Espionage, Politics, Ect...) or like a normal RP? (Don't have to worry about numbers, events still happen though aren't as on a grand scale, and other such things that would involve playing this like a game are not need.)
Sorry about that. It is called Empica

@Ruko - Have you ever played D&D? Pathfinder? Warhammer? Anything that involves dice in that factor? The dice isn't a limitation - it is something that keeps everything fair. It makes sure we don't overdo it, especially since we can sometimes do too much without even realizing it. It has nothing to do with strategy or wit or anything...it is literally something that makes an RP like this one harder and more interesting. It makes it more of a game of chance. Not every spell is going to hit on target, and some might even blow up in your face. The warrior who throws the spear may not always judge the throw correctly. In typical RP, we as writers tend to make every shot work the way it should...and the dice takes that and says, "Nope, you gotta be more interesting. Think outside the box."

I'm just sayin...don't dis it 'til you try it. It really is a fun way to role play.

EDIT: Also, so ya know...I think stats can be rerolled until they meet the requirement of the already-made character. For those who are ageless and are as old as the world, higher stats may be an order. However, stats don't affect too much when it comes to the RP, itself. They just give a small boost in battle. XD

@Shadowski - Iwaku is able to upload files if you don't have an offsite source. However, the file size is very, very limited. I use TinyPic for a great deal of the images I edit. It's free and really easy to use. ^^

Yes, I have played Dungeons and Dragons. It's one of my favourite board games. Same for Warhammer (though that's ridiculously expensive). I played DnD 4 times completely according to the rules and it was boring as hell. After the 4th game we scrapped the rules all together and just go with how the DM decides they want to do it. This allows for way more freedom. We can create new currencies and stats as we need it and it allows much more creativity. Warhammer is different because it's purely a war game, but I got the feeling that this was much more of a 1st person RP than an RP from the perspective of some kind of second party narrator describing the actions of the nations. If anything I'd say having the dice does the complete opposite of what you suggest it does. When I'm writing I try to do things in interesting ways, and I don't by any means always make things work how they should do. Sure, I'll have a plan of how I want things to run over the course of the battle, but if I feel I'm being too successful then I start making some of my character's actions fail. Additionally, the other people are able to introduce things into the battle to skew it in interesting ways. When you have dice, stats and known spells, it severely limits what you can do. It's why I enjoy roleplaying so much more than video gaming. In the video game you're limited to what the game designer wants you to be able to do. In RP you're not.

In my family, DnD rules are more like guidelines...we use the dice as a means to an end...to see who spots the enemy first, who is able to hit on target, and who successfully fights a spell that would otherwise control them. By using the basic rules, we had the game of chance and still had a blast. Sure, beginner spells suck...but I don't see that issue for anyone in this RP. And sure you might make sure you don't hit every time...but what about other players? See what I'm saying? We can have both here...creativity and a balance of chance.

Well in my circle of friends the DnD rules are more like guidelines of how not to play. We only use dice when it suits the game for comedic effect.

Well, for the sake of this game, I suppose it just depends on the votes of the other players. We currently have one for dice and one against.

What are everyone else's opinions?

• Landmass:The Chillwinds -Orange Landmass

Appearance:
    [BCOLOR=#ffffff][BCOLOR=#ffffff]
    1348193715-2.jpg
    [/BCOLOR][/BCOLOR]

Name: King Ronald Bones II

Nickname: The Tyrant King

Family: None known or noteworthy. There may be possible descendants, though.

Skills:
    - Woodworking. Rusty though, since he quit working with wood when he became king.
    - Speechcraft.
    - Intimidation
    - Horseback riding

Special Skills:
    -Proficient with the flail.
    -Decent with black powder weapondry.

Weapon/s:

He wields a flail, it is made of dark silver, and the head is hollow, like a whisk, and covered in jewelry. It amuses him, thinking that he is literally beating others with his riches. It has been enchanted to never kill, but severely maim and make people wish they are dead.

He also wields a large pistol. It's fairly accurate, and it packs a huge punch, but it must be reloaded after every shot. It's bullets have different effects based on material engraved of bullets.

Good Traits:
    Loves to fight.
    Very strong.
    Fearless
    Too Dumb to Fool

Bad Traits:
    Very Instinctual, and Emotion Driven
    Very Fat
    Bloodthirsty
    As likely to hurt friend as much as foe
    Psychopathic

Personality: Ronald Bones is more of a beast than a man, who is filled with a childlike love for violence and bloodshed. He is also very paranoid, and will not hesitate in killing anyone he thinks would attempt to overthrow or kill him.

Past: Ronald Bones came from a small village, where he worked as a lumberjack. One night, he learned that his father kept a note secret from him, saying he was king. Ronald then went to the capital, and applied to be the king's carpenter. After a short period of time, he decided he should be king, so made a wooden mace, and challenged the former king to a duel. The king was amused, and chose to humiliate him before having him executed. After a quick skirmish, the king was left battered and broken, and crying for his guards to kill Ron. Ronald then showed his birthright to the guards, so they did nothing. The king watched in horror as Ronald drew his club, and bashed his father's head in.
    Since then, Ronald Bones II has been king, and after many attempted assassinations and riots, still remains as king.

How they came to power: Challenged his father to a duel for the throne, and won.

Ambition: Manifest Destiny. Making a grand kingdom that engulfs all of Narif. There is also a search for immortality, and eternal youth, so that I may reign forever

• Name: Ghost Giants

General Appearance: They look human, but they have a chromatic skin tone of varying shades of grey, and they range from 8 to 9 feet in height on average.

Strengths:
    -Advanced Technology: They have access to steamwork and blackpowder machinery and minor engraving magic, mostly in the form of a myriad of cannons and bullets and weapons engraved with a variety of elemental effects, though there has been prototypes of mechanical battle suits, and steamwork limb prosthetics.
    -Giants: As they are giants, they are large creatures, and are stronger and tougher than your average person. They are also resistant to cold climates, able to walk in roaring blizzards in the nude for extended periods of time with little discomfort.
    -Neverending Ambition: The giants are filled with a great sense of ambition, when they set a goal for themselves, little will steer them off course.

Weaknesses:
    -Mean-Natured: Ghost Giants tend to have quite a malicious mean streak. They hold grudges for slights real and make-believe, love to fight amongst each other and themselves, and can be very cruel, putting others through various forms of physical and mental abuse and torture, along with a love for bloodshed and violence, amongst themselves and others.

-Xenophobes: They don't like other races that much.

-Ponderous: Even amongst the more agile of them, they still tend to be heavy footed and clumsy.

Religion: They are generally atheistic. Their belief in their general superiority makes it difficult for them to believe that they can't overcome what they set their minds to. With brute force or advanced technology, there's always a way, they think.

Description: They are generally humans, only grey-skinned, huge, and hold mean tempers. They are advanced in technology, with some foray into industrial times, and a little bit into the World War eras, thanks to tanks. They also have indomitable spirits, and little will slow them down.

History: The Ghost Giants are a people which lived in the Chillwinds, where few people enter due to its cold habitat, so little is known of them. What is generally known however, is that they thrive when they have an enemy to steer their resources to, and that their technology is fairly advanced.

• Name: The Chillwinds

Landscape:
    [BCOLOR=#ffffff]
    Foggy_Forest_by_dark_rose89.jpg
    [/BCOLOR]

This place of forested hills and mountains has a very cold climate, ranging from cool summers to frigid winters. The wildlife here is generally mammalian, and that the predators are big, and the prey is huge. Oddly enough, even though it's freezing, there's never snow, but there is a frigid fog which is where its name comes from, Chillwind.

Special features: The Chillwind, a frigid fog which makes things very cold in these lands, despite there never being snow. Vast,expansive cave systems, filled with a plethora of very precious gems and ores.

Special Creatures:
    Appearance:
    th

Name: Sabertooth (Plural: Saberteeth)

Domesticated: No

Strengths/Skills:
    Stealthy
    Comfortable in frigid weather
    Great predator

Weaknesses:
    Carnivore
    Loner

Description: A simple Sabertooth, it is the prime predator of the Chillwinds.

Appearance:
    th

Name: Mammoth (Same in both forms)

Domesticated: No.

Strengths/Skills:

Massive.
    Peaceful.
    Frigid Weather Resistant

Weaknesses:
    Easily startled
    Hunted by the Sabertooth regularly
    Rare

Description: The massive Mammoth, it's only enemy is the Sabertooth.

[tab=Nation]
    Name: The Bone's Empire

Coat of Arms:
    [BCOLOR=#ffffff]
    ariesLRG.gif
    [/BCOLOR]

Population: Ghost Giants, with slaves of various other races

Capital City Name: The Boneyard

Capital City Location: The Boneyard is located on the very northern tip of the Chillwinds, the piece of Orange land above North Mutha.

Capital City Description:
    [BCOLOR=#ffffff]
    creepy_castle_by_digitalminded-d52onib.jpg
    [/BCOLOR]

Minor Cities:
    The Mining Cities scattered through the Southern Chillwinds.
    -Pickerville
    -Gem-on-Rottingman
    -Schlartle's Burg.
    The Logging Cities, in the central Chillwinds
    -Timbershiver
    -Dovreng Gale
    -Wood Town
    The Border Cities, by the Mutha border
    -Nth
    -Shlinger Splicer Nightingale
    -Butcher's Paradise

Military Units:

-Cannons: Hard-hitting mobile artillery, they come in many varieties.
    Basic
    Shielded
    On Rails
    On mammoth back.
    -Soldiers: Your basic medieval soldier, wears heavy plated armor and wields various medieval knightly weapons . Some wield guns, which are basic muskets and blunderbusses, 18th century firearms. The weapons have different effects, based on their engravings.
    -Beast Riders: Men who have tamed the predators of the Chillwinds, these are dangerous foes. Wearing lighter armor, and wielding either bows or guns, these are forces to be reckoned with. Some have even tamed mammoths, which allows many people to ride on a single beast, firing down upon those being trampled by the great beast.
    -Battle suits: A new invention, they work as a basic soldier, but benefits from more protection and auxiliary weapondry, along with increased strength. They are prototypes, however, so they aren't completely in order.

History: This nation was founded when the former king was assassinated by his illegitimate son. This nation has begun a new industrial revolution, and technology has advanced greatly in the few years that Ronald has been king. An order of Manifest Destiny has been rumored to be set by the kingdom, in an attempt to bring all of Narif under the rule of Bone's Empire.

Last edited by a moderator:
I will be against die usage. Competion based events should be solved via Conversation, and when a conclusion is reached, copy the post and paste it on the main board.

Yeah, it's a WIP, why? I'll pick a land after I get it made, so the Orange land is open to people now.

I think you all need a clarification on what i meant. When i do things like a game, i generally don't do dice rolls unless it's for how hard a dungeon/ruin is, and how rare and powerful the item you get for completing it is. When it's for things like a kingdom/landmass i instead ask the owner of said kingdom/landmass a few questions and base its things on that.

Here's an example. (I took this from my Naruto RP and edited it so if you see anything naruto related just ignore it)

The Dragons Alliance

Previous Leader: None
Current Leader:
Capital City: Margin
Minor Cities: 15
Economy: Less than Decent (-1) (Decided how good your income is, when the day has ended 4 times, depending on how good this stat is, you will gain more money in your Treasury to use.)
Population: 2,934,245
Forces: 100,000 Berserkers, 10,000 Mages, 40,000 Archers, 1,500 Borla Riders
Espionage: Decent (This would be how good/bad your spies/assassins are, this is what decides how much they fail/succeed in espionage missions/assassinations. I would post in a GM post if they failed.)
Defense: Good (+1), Floating Islands (+2 Defense) (How good the defense of your lands are, and your natural defenses come into play as well.)
Allies: None
Enemies: None
Treaties: None
Agreements: None
War: None
Current Special Features: Floating Islands, Special type of Obsidian
Players in this Landmass/Nation: (This is where i would put the names of people who created a non-leader character and chose your landmass to start in.)
Current Special Project: (This is where things like Research or creating something special (like a new type of Maghina) would go, i would give a target pecentage (IE 150%) for you to reach, you would contribute by having your character send people to work on it or work on it yourself, i would roll to see how well it goes, and add that up, until it reaches the target percentage and completes (IE 145% total, need to reach 150%)
Treasury: 300,000 Magits (Magits would be the Currency of Narif. 1 Magit = 2 US Dollars)
Special/Magical Relics/Artifacts: (this is where i would list anything of note that is special/magical that you got from a dungeon/ruin, others wouldn't know where it is, just that you have it.)
Current Unexplored Ruins: 2
Current Explored Ruins: 1

That's just an example, i would probably add a little more on to it before doing anything. Besides, i would just be asking you guys the questions, than in the IC your empires current status would always be in the OP (Original Post, First Post) and i would edit it accordingly. You guys wouldn't have to worry about setting all that up.

I also don't use Die Rolls to decide Combat, i usually give a stat that you would have to manage so that your character doesn't die/pass out.

I think that would flesh out the nations a bit more. I could certainly put down that the Emperica Empire has a good gold income, but is in slow decline and that it is currently in a war against the tribes of the Southern area of the Empire.

Just hope that clears things up a little. Seems we got 2 votes for yes and 1 for no :3

That just seems like a pain to me, having to constantly wait on a GM to decide for us. If I wanted that kind of game-style RP i'd play Total War.

Status
Not open for further replies.