8 a.m. to 3 p.m. EST
Writing Levels
  1. Adept
  2. Advanced
Preferred Character Gender
  1. Primarily Prefer Female
Genres
Modern Fantasy, Fantasy, Psychological, Action, Steampunk
red Please check here for any unanswered questions you may have before asking them here. More information will be added here as it's mentioned in the roleplay. Thank you.~
General Information | Roleplay Information
Character Sheet | Character List
Episode List | Maps

The Variable Project

In the year 2100, scientists discovered a latent ability within certain humans that would later be deemed "Psychokinesis". This ability gave these select few the ability to control objects with their minds, speak telepathically, and even fly. They spent seventeen long years investigating this phenomenon, before finally deciding what its use would be. Those select few with the ability of Psychokinesis became known as Variables, and became trump cards in the military of their respective countries. The bringing in and training of these people was kept secret, and became known simply as "The Variable Project".

Psyche

Psychokinesis use was not without its drawbacks, however. Continued use shortened one's life span, and deteriorated one's brain. Excessive use in a short time period could even kill someone right then and there. Some Variables who pushed the limits too far became Corrupted Variables, deranged humans who became nothing more than dangerous, mindless killing machines. They were either killed or taken into captivity. Because of these dangers, scientists developed a drug known as Psyche, which was administered every so often through a chip implanted on the back of each Variable's neck. They became dependent on this drug, and now, should their chip be removed, they wouldn't last a week without manual administration of Psyche.

Weapon Variables

8755260-3d-black-sphere-on-white-background.jpg

The Base Form of a Weapon Variable

In 2127, the first weapons built specifically for use with Psychokinesis were created. They were named "variables" after those who would wield them. In the beginning, only short-range physical type variables were available, but other types were created a few years later, and along with them, the Variable Efficiency and Compatibility Test (VECT). The VECT is a test used to determine which variable types a Variable's Psychokinesis is compatible with. While most only tested compatible with one, there were rare occurrences where an individual tested as being compatible with two. In order to use a variable, a Variable must touch it and attempt to "sync" their Psychokinesis with it. Nothing will happen if the variable and one's Psychokinesis are incompatible, unless the variable is a custom variable, in which case the individual will convert to a Corrupted Variable and die shortly afterwards.

Variable Type Power Speed Flexibility Year Developed
Short-range Physical High Medium Medium 2127
Long-range Physical Medium Fast High 2130
Short-range Mental Low Fast Low 2131
Long-range Mental Low Fast Low 2132
Short-range Physical
Short-range Physical variables required constant contact in order to be used, but offered high power and decent speed and flexibility (the ability to shape-shift quickly and effectively). They're often used as held weapons, such as swords, maces, etc. They can also be manipulated into all sorts of shapes, and can also be used as a shield.
Long-range Physical
Long-range Physical variables often take the shape of a small sphere that floats near the user. They do require one time contact in order to "sync", but can be used freely afterwards. The solitary sphere can be manipulated just as short-range physical models can, but it can also multiply and divide. The less dispersed the sphere is, the more power each shot packs. The power is decent, but the speed and flexibility make up for it.
Short-range Mental
Short-range Mental variables are only effective at within a small radius. As with all mental type variables, this variable is inserted into the brain as a chip, and thus, cannot be manipulated or used as an actual weapon. Mental variables are often used to increase sensory perception, but can also be used to enhance memory, processing speed, and knowledge banks. These are the preferred types for missions involving espionage.
Long-range Mental
Long-range Physical variables are similar to short-range mental variables, the only difference being that their effective range is larger. These are preferred when it's better for the user to remain at a distance.

In addition to physical and mental type variables, variables are also separated into general and custom variables. General variables are inferior, but anyone whose Psychokinesis is compatible with their type can "sync" with them. Custom variables are superior, but, as the name suggests, are custom made for a specific person's Psychokinesis. Should anyone else attempt to "sync" with one, they'll become a Corrupted Variable.

Spacial Variables

In 2140, a third type of variable that came to be known as "spacial" was created. They resemble antimatter in that they eat all they touch, and circle the user as small spheres, much the same as a dispersed long-range physical type does. Because of the high level of danger presented in such a variable, it was banned in all countries. Some still work on it under the radar, however.
Spacial Variables
Spacial variables are slow moving and aren't as flexible as physical type variables. Regardless of this fact, their destructive power far outmatches that of physical types. It is because of this that they've been banned from use.
Short-range Spacial
Short-range Spacial variables have a smaller range of influence and can't be seperated from the user too much, or the "sync" will be broken. Because of this, users of this type mostly use their variables as a type of inpenetrable shield.
Long-range Spacial
Long-range Spacial variables are perhaps the most dangerous variable type yet discovered. Unlike short-range, they have a much greater range of influence. The downside is that wide dispersion generally leaves the user open to attack. Likewise, the slow moving nature of Spacial variables means it takes time for them to disperse and cause any real damage. Opposers should be wary of fighting a long-range Spacial variable user in tight spaces, however.

International Variable Organization (IVO)

In 2142, the International Variable Organization, a top secret group, was created. The group was run collectively by the heads of each country, and outlined laws, regulations, and policies regarding the use of Variables in warfare. It's essentially the United Nations for Variables. The group also acted as a center for planning should any Variables go rogue. If any of them do, the heads meet and discuss a method to best eliminate them before they become too great a threat.

Current Timeline of Events

Event Year
Scientists discover Psychokinesis; research begins. 2100
Great strides in Psychokinesis research made; discussion for use begins. 2116
Decision to use Psychokinesis users as military trump cards reached; research continues. 2117
First variable weapon created; initiation of the Variable Project. 2127
Creation of Long-range Physical, Short-range Mental, Long-range Mental type variables. 2130, 2131, 2132
Spacial type variables created, tested, and banned. 2140
International Variable Organiztion (IVO) founded, establishing rules and regulations covering various topics of Variables. 2142

Last edited:
Update:

I edited the character sheet so that Character Theme and Character Song are two separate things. A character song is optional, but feel free to add one if you want.~

Reactions: HELL BOY☆
I DIDN'T REALIZE THAT THE THEME MEANT SONG oTL.......... Advanced English classes do that to you

No, no. I really liked where you took the theme. That's why I kept that section in and added Character Song. Good idea.

25pu8nk.png
"There once was a deep forest, within which was a young girl who'd lost her way... I see myself in that girl, and I hope to display the same strength she did at her story's end."
Name:
Merci "Rubi" Moreau
My name is Merci. That's 'thank you' in French. I think it suits me..."
Sex:
Female
Birthday:
June 4th​
"There isn't really any significance behind it. It's simply the day I came into being."
Appearance:
Merci comes in short at only 5'4", but her demeanor belies her short stature. Her hair is a red-brown like that donned by the bright bark of some tree variants. It's a little more than shoulder length and hangs a bit over her eyes thanks to her bangs. The girl's eyes are normally a forest green color, but the developing red coloration makes them appear more red-brown like her hair. Merci's skin is somewhat pale, but it does not signify that she is unwell, but rather that she spends too much time in the shade rather than the sun.
"It's ironic that my last name is derived from a word meaning 'dark skinned' when I'm so pale, but I don't mind it."
Ethnicity:
French
Latency Age:
"I developed my abilities before Esme did, which is surprising to me, because he seems better suited to these types of things."
Variable ID# (VID#):
VECT Results:
Short-Range Mental: Translation - This ability allows her to understand and translate languages other than those she speaks.
Long-Range Mental: Psychokinesis Detection - This ability allows her to detect Psychokinesis signatures, as well as where they're originating from.
"They're useful skills, but they don't serve me very well in combat. Not on my own at least. I think my abilities have good synergy with the abilities of others."
Personality:
Merci is a quiet person, but not in the sense that she's shy. She's a reserved person who rarely speaks other than when something needs to be said. Despite this, she's one who likes observing nature, and she will begin to talk about it to anyone who'll listen once she gets caught up in it. When she does speak, her voice is soft, with just a hint of seriousness detectable in her tone. Well-mannered, Merci tries to treat people, especially those she's met for the first time, with respect. Be that as it may, she has a low tolerance for silliness, and will often ignore such behavioral demonstrations by those who aren't young children. Much like her childhood friend, Esme, Merci is intelligent to a fault. Her intellect being one of the things she prides herself in, she dislikes when it's challenged, and will often bite back against anyone who questions it. She has a hard time interacting with others outside of Esme, but she tries her best to communicate her ideas when talking to others is called for, even if she does lack the emotional depth that most others are capable of demonstrating.
"It's true that I can go on about nature forever. The way the sun rises and sets, the way the leaves move ever so subtlety in the wind... There's a lot of symbolism to be seen in these overlooked, everyday occurrences."
Character Theme:
Merci's theme is that of a girl constantly lost in a world that requires one to be fully aware of their surroundings to survive. Because of this, she usually relies on Esme to keep her in check when she loses herself. In that way, her theme is Reliance vs. Independence.
"Though my abilities make it somewhat difficult to work on my own, I do want to try to be more independent, so that I can help the person I've relied on for so long."
Character Song:
Other:
Merci has been friends with Esme since early childhood, even before they were brought in as Variables-in-Training, and has recently discovered romantic feelings for the male, though she hides this fact well. She also always carries a Rubik's Cube around with her, and constantly fiddles around with it when she isn't doing anything else. This habit has earned her the nickname "Rubi".
"I would prefer to be called by my given name, but I don't mind being called Rubi by people I've known for some time..."

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: HELL BOY☆
"They all seem so tough, so noble and cool, but it all seems so boring and annoying, don'tcha think? Lighten up, will ya?" - Eva, probably about her peers.

Name: Eva Castillon-LeBlanc

"Yep! Eva. 'is been my name since forever. Someone said it's along the lines of 'Life of the White Castle.' And I think that's pretty cool."
Sex: Female
"Pretty obvious if y'ask me."

"Kinda on the younger end, yeah? So what. I'm not worse off than anyone else or anything..."
Birthday: November 5, 2132/3 (If I did the math right, the last digit depends on what part of the year we're doing this RP in.)
Appearance:

Photo Here
5'5 with a light build, with amber eyes and hair a few shades darker and shorter than in the picture.
"Yep, that's me! Hairs a bit long in that picture, but hey I still look nice."
Ethnicity: French/Spanish - American
"Both my parents grew up in 'Murica, still had close ties to their home coutnries though."
Latency Age: Seven
"Kinda young, huh? I find it pretty cool actually. It was just, my sister kept calling me a weirdo but whatever."
Variable ID# (VID#): VID# 13
VECT Results: Short-Range Physical/Short Range Mental - Gives Eva a short burst of enhanced perception and reaction. Extended usage gives her some headaches and, if the situation requires extended use of that ability, doesn't help her minor issues with her energy in fight.
"Just because I can see your hits as you're pulling back doesn't mean my left hand can react fast enough to catch it. That's for my right."
Personality: On the surface, you've got Eva as a more energetic of a teenager, and that's one of her things. She's constantly looking for entertainment, especially in those around her. She's indiscriminate to trying to solve boredom in a fight, all while trying to put in as much as she can. She tends to be slightly hyperactive in several situations, though only if she's entertained. If not, she sometimes makes it a point to show that she's bored or displeased. On the other end, she can take things seriously, though she dislikes it strongly as usually involves her getting angry at something (in a lot of situations, it's herself.). She feels like she needs to prove herself, being on the younger side of the Variables, and with her dual compatibility. She doesn't like to show it that often, but she tries to get the approval of her peers when it comes to her skills with fighting and her Variable use. She's competitive, she has drive, but sometimes those both come to bite her right back, causing high standards for herself and being critical of herself. She loves a challenge, but failing one brings out the critical sides of herself. Her usual energy can get redirected towards her anger, and more often than not needs something to snap her out of that. Someone yelling at her to keep herself together might do as much. Considering some of the mannerisms of the rest of the group, a short tug on the metaphorical leash from the no-nonsense people might help, though annoy her.

"Not much to say here, though really, what's the big deal with all of y'serious people? Liiiiighten uuuup, please."
Character Theme: Eva is like an open flame type with the desire to cause a forest fire. She wants to be better than she is, no matter how self destructive the way she tries to do that is. So Self-Criticism and The Desire for Power could be her themes.
"I'm not that critical, and I don't always want to be the best. I just wanna get better, that's all."
Character Song:
"Next time I can get myself a song player and some headphones, I'm taking it. I miss my playlist."
Other: She never wears ties properly, even though she likes wearing them. She has an okay to decent understanding of both French and Spanish, from her family and previous experiences, though she has trouble constructing sentences so she responds in relatively choppy Spanish.
"Parle francais? Porque creo que you're really annoying."

"If I'm going out, I wanna go out with a smile on my face and a joke going through my mind." - Eva Castillion-LeBlanc

How's this? I seem to be having issues shrinking down the photo to size.
I just posted it through a link. Might as well.

Last edited:
@AgentMcBagle

Perfect! I love it so much! You all have such great character sheets. I can tell this'll be a fun RP and we haven't even started yet.~

Thanks! She's been fun how I've imagined Eva in my head. Her original name was Elise, but I noticed how many french people we had and I was like. Meah, I'm not that hooked on the name. And Eva sounds a lot cooler, so I'm kinda glad.

Reactions: Aois
Viva la Revolucion!~

Added a to-be-updated cast image to the Character List section. Hope you guys like it!

I'm a bit confused though. Is it purely just Telepathic/Telekinetic abilities? Or are there other spectrum that we can play around with?

Actually, I think I've got something. Let me brain storm...

Last edited by a moderator:
COMPLETED.​

9q1pIaM.png

◤ ━°PYOTR◞! MALKOVICH* ))
[BCOLOR=transparent]▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄ ▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄ ▄▄▄▄▄▄▄[/BCOLOR]

☆☆☆☆ : underneath my skin there is a violence it's got a gun in its hands
☆☆☆☆ : underneath my skin there is a violence it's got a gun in its hands

( ↓↓ )

&&. BASIC INFO

[BCOLOR=#30373d] name. [/BCOLOR] pyotr malkovich
[BCOLOR=#30373d] date of birth. [/BCOLOR] september 21
[BCOLOR=#30373d] age. [/BCOLOR] 18 years
[BCOLOR=#30373d] sex. [/BCOLOR] male
[BCOLOR=#30373d] latency age. [/BCOLOR] 12 years
[BCOLOR=#30373d] ethnicity. [/BCOLOR] russian-ukranian
[BCOLOR=#30373d] vid. [/BCOLOR] 10
[BCOLOR=#30373d] vect results. [/BCOLOR] short-range mental → intuitive aptitude

( ↓↓ )

&&. PERSONALITY
[BCOLOR=#30373d] assertive & unaccommodating. [/BCOLOR]
Pyotr possesses a serious demeanour that, upon first encounter, may come forward as reserved and even hostile. This is true to a certain extent, for the man often keeps to himself in that he refuses to show any sign of vulnerability. One would find themselves utterly mistaken, however, in assuming that he is by any means shy. He may keep people at an arm's length, but he has never been one to mince his words nor keep to the shadows. In fact, he thrives the most in the limelight. Pyotr is aggressive in that he steps up to the task even when no one else would and is quick to lead, such that one may find him presumptuous and a bit of a know-it-all. He speaks with an authoritarian tone--terse, unwavering, and never taking no for an answer--for he has little patience for deviancy and even less for disobedience. Confidence is gained from knowledge, and knowledge is something that Pyotr has in spades. It may provide the boost in his ego but it is this same high sense of self and certainty in his abilities that ironically renders him completely oblivious to the emotions of other people. It is such that he hurts more than he intends to with his logical approach of things, never fully understanding its implications. Such an egotistical perspective, coupled with his desire for dominance, has also turned him into quite the misogynist: though not completely blind to the abilities of women, he has a tendency to put them down in a guileful, implicit attempt to display superiority.

[BCOLOR=#30373d] intelligent & knowledge-obsessed. [/BCOLOR]
Because he cannot use brute force alone, Pyotr must constantly rely on his wit and intelligence to survive. The wheels of his mind are always turning. He may not have the keenest eye, but he has a sharp, resourceful mind that can think up quick solutions especially during times of great crises. He is a fast learner, being able to easily adapt even in the most bizarre of situations, and is a master at deduction. One might even say he lusts for knowledge; if there is anything he doesn't understand, he would pull it apart piece by piece until he has searched every nook and cranny for the answers. The man also possesses an uncanny ability to remember words and events with a certain vivid quality. Even the most unremarkable little details remain etched in his mind, try as he might to forget them. The downside to this is that, while he can take great joy in knowing that he will never forget the happiest moments in his life, he would also remember the worst, most gut-wrenching experiences he has ever been through. Regardless, the eidetic quality to his memory proves to be quite useful and even fitting, as Pyotr is a studious individual--a walking encyclopedia, so to speak--constantly buried in his books and spouting aphorisms.

[BCOLOR=#30373d] idealistic & amorous. [/BCOLOR]
Underneath that no-nonsense demanour is a hopeless romantic, for even after all these years, Pyotr still believes, somewhere deep in his heart, that things like fate, true love, and heroes exist. He has wholeheartedly, unabashedly believed in these tales of valor and love that, even as the harsh realities of life came crashing down upon him as he grew older, a part of his idealistic self still persists. Outwardly, he is cynical: in resorting to cold, hard information and keeping his passionate self hidden from public scrutiny, he deems that people are less likely to judge him as romantic or, worse, ignorant. But just beneath the surface, if you dig far enough, there exists a sensual side of him that very few know to exist.

( ↓↓ )

&&. APPEARANCE

Although his VECT results suggest he would do well in missions involving espionage, it would hardly matter as much when one factors in his appearance, as Pyotr is by no means average in his looks. Not to mention the fact that he is a towering six feet and two inches. If he does eventually find himself among the intelligence ranks of the government, he would encounter some difficulty in his undercover missions, much less in maintaining the secrecy of his true identity, as his face alone is not something one would easily forget, nor is it so painfully ordinary as to draw little attention. People don't consider Pyotr to be conventionally handsome in the masculine sense, but rather beautiful and even ethereal, with his perpetually furrowed brows, long lashes, high cheekbones tapering down to an angular jaw, thin lips, and slim, hooked nose. Blessed with good looks but not necessarily good health, Pyotr, although by no means ungraceful, is gangly in build and has little stamina. One is often wary that a gust of wind could blow him away at any moment. Despite this, however he manages to give off an air of superiority and elegance. The man also possesses long, deft fingers much like those of a pianist, making him quite adept at tasks that require quick and nimble hands. His skin, while slightly tanned, is smooth and clean-shaven, owing to the sparse hairs on both his face and body, whereas his dark auburn mane, wavy and long enough that it reaches his neck, is often hastily tied back in a ponytail--albeit it is so fine and smooth in texture that, no matter how taut the string is pulled, strands of hair constantly fall over his face and get in the way. Pyotr's most attractive feature, however, would have to be his eyes—a strange, blood-red hue that is common among Variables like himself.

( ↓↓ )

&&. RELATIONSHIPS

[BCOLOR=#30373d] alexis akiyama. [/BCOLOR]
No one would have ever thought Alexis and Pyotr would turn out to be good friends, but they did. In fact, they have quite the history. Their unlikely friendship began when they were little more than children. Each was an outcast in their own way: Alexis was constantly bullied by his peers, whereas Pyotr just never quite fit in. Of course, being the same age, they often bumped into each other but never really interacted until some time has passed, mostly because Pyotr adamantly refused to have anything to do with what he deemed to be a "weakling". Still, the curiosity gnawed at him. So much that one day, he set his lunch tray at Alexis' empty table and just sat there, silent and brooding as ever. It was a gesture that surprised even Pyotr himself.

Since then, they found comfort in each other's silent companionship. They might have been complete opposites: Alexis is fragile, gets mood swings, gets hurt easily, is forgiving, whereas Pyotr is arrogant, aggressive, and more the type to hurt other people with his careless words rather than be hurt. Yet, underneath that cold facade lies an idealistic side to himself. Pyotr believes in the good in people even if he might not show it, and ultimately it is this idealism that drew him to Alexis in the first place. Alexis is the embodiment of everything he wishes to become but could never be.

Their time with each other had been cut short, however, when each was found to be a variable and then taken to separate facilities. Lately, however, they have reunited, but will things be the same as it was back then? A lot of time has passed, after all.

[BCOLOR=#30373d] blake jermyn. [/BCOLOR]
tbd

[BCOLOR=#30373d] esmé jacques. [/BCOLOR]
Esmé and Pyotr are not on bad terms, nor are they particularly friendly with one another, but they do respect each other's intelligence. It's only when Pyotr crosses the line in his interactions with Merci that their acquaintanceship takes a sour turn. Merci is, after all, Esmé's childhood friend and someone he feels very protective of.

[BCOLOR=#30373d] eva castillon-leblanc. [/BCOLOR]
"Immature brat." That was the first thing that went through his head when he first laid eyes on Eva. Since then, he's made a point of avoiding her at all costs. Yet, the girl manages to approach him anyway, always trying to find a way to elicit a reaction out of Pyotr. So far, its been torture, and unfortunately his hostile reactions only serve to entertain the girl rather than scare her.

[BCOLOR=#30373d] ivan jasper "june" muyco-corell. [/BCOLOR]
tbd

[BCOLOR=#30373d] merci moreau. [/BCOLOR]
It's small surprise that these two don't see eye-to-eye. In many respects, they are similar, but it is in fact this very sameness that elicits a sense of rivalry between them. They both hold their intelligence in a high regard and are both proud enough not to back down when challenged, such that arguments are quite common between these two.​

[BCOLOR=#30373d] mordecai booker. [/BCOLOR]
tbd​

( ↓↓ )

&&. OTHER

[BCOLOR=#30373d] intuitive aptitude. [/BCOLOR]
This ability should enable the wielder to instantly understand, without any prior education, the complexity and exactness of patterns, systems, organisms, and whatever the wielder may lay its eyes upon. This, in Pyotr's case, is rooted deep in his obsession for knowledge--in his insatiable desire to understand exactly what it is that makes things and other people tick. Intuitive aptitude, however, while powerful, is not without its drawbacks. For one, the power is innate, and therefore not something that can be turned on and off at will. Second, it is only upon close inspection that the power would work, and understanding something as complex as human beings and variables most especially, would require a much more advanced level of training to master--something that Pyotr has yet to achieve. Regardless, the ability proves to be quite useful when it comes to things like hacking, bypassing security, and fixing broken equipment to name a few. (x)

bullets are the beauty of the blistering sky !

Last edited by a moderator:
  • Love
Reactions: 1 person
@FieryCold, looks good so far, but his VID has to be 6-13 because 1-5 already exist. You also referenced "VCET results" instead of "VECT results". Just a typo.

Other than that, it's as good as accepted, once I can approve whichever mental variable ability you decide to bless (or curse) him with.

• Thank You
Reactions: 1 person
How many slots do you have left, if you don't mind my asking?

Reactions: Aois
As far as those who've shown for sure interest, we have six characters so far, and I'm accepting eight max, so you can feel free to submit a character sheet if you want.~

I love your guys' character songs!

Status
Not open for further replies.