8 a.m. to 3 p.m. EST
Writing Levels
  1. Adept
  2. Advanced
Preferred Character Gender
  1. Primarily Prefer Female
Genres
Modern Fantasy, Fantasy, Psychological, Action, Steampunk
red Please check here for any unanswered questions you may have before asking them here. More information will be added here as it's mentioned in the roleplay. Thank you.~
General Information | Roleplay Information
Character Sheet | Character List
Episode List | Maps

The Variable Project

In the year 2100, scientists discovered a latent ability within certain humans that would later be deemed "Psychokinesis". This ability gave these select few the ability to control objects with their minds, speak telepathically, and even fly. They spent seventeen long years investigating this phenomenon, before finally deciding what its use would be. Those select few with the ability of Psychokinesis became known as Variables, and became trump cards in the military of their respective countries. The bringing in and training of these people was kept secret, and became known simply as "The Variable Project".

Psyche

Psychokinesis use was not without its drawbacks, however. Continued use shortened one's life span, and deteriorated one's brain. Excessive use in a short time period could even kill someone right then and there. Some Variables who pushed the limits too far became Corrupted Variables, deranged humans who became nothing more than dangerous, mindless killing machines. They were either killed or taken into captivity. Because of these dangers, scientists developed a drug known as Psyche, which was administered every so often through a chip implanted on the back of each Variable's neck. They became dependent on this drug, and now, should their chip be removed, they wouldn't last a week without manual administration of Psyche.

Weapon Variables

8755260-3d-black-sphere-on-white-background.jpg

The Base Form of a Weapon Variable

In 2127, the first weapons built specifically for use with Psychokinesis were created. They were named "variables" after those who would wield them. In the beginning, only short-range physical type variables were available, but other types were created a few years later, and along with them, the Variable Efficiency and Compatibility Test (VECT). The VECT is a test used to determine which variable types a Variable's Psychokinesis is compatible with. While most only tested compatible with one, there were rare occurrences where an individual tested as being compatible with two. In order to use a variable, a Variable must touch it and attempt to "sync" their Psychokinesis with it. Nothing will happen if the variable and one's Psychokinesis are incompatible, unless the variable is a custom variable, in which case the individual will convert to a Corrupted Variable and die shortly afterwards.

Variable Type Power Speed Flexibility Year Developed
Short-range Physical High Medium Medium 2127
Long-range Physical Medium Fast High 2130
Short-range Mental Low Fast Low 2131
Long-range Mental Low Fast Low 2132
Short-range Physical
Short-range Physical variables required constant contact in order to be used, but offered high power and decent speed and flexibility (the ability to shape-shift quickly and effectively). They're often used as held weapons, such as swords, maces, etc. They can also be manipulated into all sorts of shapes, and can also be used as a shield.
Long-range Physical
Long-range Physical variables often take the shape of a small sphere that floats near the user. They do require one time contact in order to "sync", but can be used freely afterwards. The solitary sphere can be manipulated just as short-range physical models can, but it can also multiply and divide. The less dispersed the sphere is, the more power each shot packs. The power is decent, but the speed and flexibility make up for it.
Short-range Mental
Short-range Mental variables are only effective at within a small radius. As with all mental type variables, this variable is inserted into the brain as a chip, and thus, cannot be manipulated or used as an actual weapon. Mental variables are often used to increase sensory perception, but can also be used to enhance memory, processing speed, and knowledge banks. These are the preferred types for missions involving espionage.
Long-range Mental
Long-range Physical variables are similar to short-range mental variables, the only difference being that their effective range is larger. These are preferred when it's better for the user to remain at a distance.

In addition to physical and mental type variables, variables are also separated into general and custom variables. General variables are inferior, but anyone whose Psychokinesis is compatible with their type can "sync" with them. Custom variables are superior, but, as the name suggests, are custom made for a specific person's Psychokinesis. Should anyone else attempt to "sync" with one, they'll become a Corrupted Variable.

Spacial Variables

In 2140, a third type of variable that came to be known as "spacial" was created. They resemble antimatter in that they eat all they touch, and circle the user as small spheres, much the same as a dispersed long-range physical type does. Because of the high level of danger presented in such a variable, it was banned in all countries. Some still work on it under the radar, however.
Spacial Variables
Spacial variables are slow moving and aren't as flexible as physical type variables. Regardless of this fact, their destructive power far outmatches that of physical types. It is because of this that they've been banned from use.
Short-range Spacial
Short-range Spacial variables have a smaller range of influence and can't be seperated from the user too much, or the "sync" will be broken. Because of this, users of this type mostly use their variables as a type of inpenetrable shield.
Long-range Spacial
Long-range Spacial variables are perhaps the most dangerous variable type yet discovered. Unlike short-range, they have a much greater range of influence. The downside is that wide dispersion generally leaves the user open to attack. Likewise, the slow moving nature of Spacial variables means it takes time for them to disperse and cause any real damage. Opposers should be wary of fighting a long-range Spacial variable user in tight spaces, however.

International Variable Organization (IVO)

In 2142, the International Variable Organization, a top secret group, was created. The group was run collectively by the heads of each country, and outlined laws, regulations, and policies regarding the use of Variables in warfare. It's essentially the United Nations for Variables. The group also acted as a center for planning should any Variables go rogue. If any of them do, the heads meet and discuss a method to best eliminate them before they become too great a threat.

Current Timeline of Events

Event Year
Scientists discover Psychokinesis; research begins. 2100
Great strides in Psychokinesis research made; discussion for use begins. 2116
Decision to use Psychokinesis users as military trump cards reached; research continues. 2117
First variable weapon created; initiation of the Variable Project. 2127
Creation of Long-range Physical, Short-range Mental, Long-range Mental type variables. 2130, 2131, 2132
Spacial type variables created, tested, and banned. 2140
International Variable Organiztion (IVO) founded, establishing rules and regulations covering various topics of Variables. 2142

Last edited:
Added some quotes of my own to Merci's character sheet. The story she mentions in the first one will be laid out in full at some point in the roleplay. Probably just sprinkled in as little excerpts here and there.

Character Sheet
VID# 6
Name: Ivan Jasper "June" Muyco-Corell

Sex: Male

Latency Age: 8

Birthday: November 11

Appearance: He's a brunette with blue eyes tinged red after awakening that stands about 174 CM and weighs 57 KG. He mostly wears semi-casual with a dog-tag necklace he received from the institution. He has no sense of fashion and has to ask one of the members advice of what to wear the night before to avoid looking strange or he wears something similar to what he wore the day before. He doesn't like wearing bright colours but likes to wear colourful ties with whatever outfit.

Ethnicity:
Filipino/British-Canadian
(His mom is a Filipino Immigrant, and his father was born in Canada from British parents and moved to America)

VECT Results:
LONG RANGE PHYSICAL - mostly used for defence, as 5 orbs circle around in different directions around his body; ie. top most circles clockwise, the next counter clockwise. When attacked, a hoop is formed from the orb and begins to orbit him quickly to block the attacks. He also uses this ability similar to a bow and arrow if he is need as a long ranged attacker.
[spoili]
b0e96062-581e-43d1-b6ed-be4cde549cae_zpssmxhpvtz.png
16a0b6b6-01d7-4257-917d-9defe73face9_zps8y3zvrps.jpg
[/spoili]
LONG RANGE MENTAL - the "clairvoyance" technique is what he had calls it. June uses his orbs (which he shapes bat wings on for fun) and makes it flutter in the air as he attempts to do recon and lodges/deposits little orbs in locations that they need scouting. These orbs hide in cracks and breaks in walls and the ceiling and gives him the advantage to see & hear into the building/location should they need information.

Often he combines both when he is attacking to have the most effective results.

Personality:
June is an introvert by heart but hates to be alone. He'll most likely be with one member or another despite them not being good friends or not interacting. He's a little easy to rile up/annoy and also quite easy to make him smile/laugh. He's also really serious when working, and gets irritated when they purposely deviate from plans since he's not quite think-outside the box type. He's keen to follow any instruction given to him to the letter and oddly stubborn during missions/jobs, saying that they have to be fulfilled unless the one giving that order tells him to stop. He's extremely docile when given ice cream (in any weather) and is content to sit in a corner with everyone else and read. He's basically like a puppy with extreme amounts of loyalty. June himself is happy when they acknowledge his existence and is content to die for them if it saves them or advances their plans.

Character Theme: The Willing Pawn - June is a willing sacrifice and should those who hold his loyalty tell him to sacrifice himself, he'll do it in a heartbeat. Or if they abandon him or use him in such a way that harms/kills him, his loyalty doesn't falter, because this was the decision he made to keep walking forward.

Character Song:

Other: He likes to draw and is surprisingly good at it. He's tech savvy, but not very smart in conventional math/science. He also misses his mother very much and wishes he could see her one more time.

Last edited by a moderator:
Meron pinoy dito! (Can't type for the life of me lol)

Reactions: Boss Megu
YAP. hahaha Been dying to use this OC since forever. hahaha

@Boss Megu, approved! Character looks good. Will you be able to keep up with posting speed though (at least once every three days)?

• Thank You
Reactions: 1 person
Thanks! :D

And yeah, Iwaku is always open on my browser. It's just that the rain has been horrible for my connection for the last few days. Don't worry. :) I'll keep up!

Reactions: Aois
Alrighty then! Last one we're waiting on is @Vicious Radiance.

Sorry you couldn't participate in this one, @Potatocat, but there'll definitely be a place for you in the next era.~

Name: Blake Jermyn

Sex: Male

Birthday: November 8, 2130

Ethnicity: American - British/Irish background.

Latency Age: 13.

Variable ID# (VID#): 11

VECT Results: Long-range physical compatible.

Personality: At first glance, Blake seems like your typical irreverent, rebellious teen delinquent. Guarded and sarcastic, he's more quick to mess with someone or try to scare them than welcome them with open arms. This usually stops just short of cruelty, though; a small spook or prank for a laugh, but with a faint insinuation that worse would come if you tried to screw with him.
In truth, a lot of this is a shell, built around a much shyer, gentler boy who never really learned to interact that way. His kindness, his loneliness, his interest in bones and abandoned buildings, he's learned to keep all of it under wraps, lest it be seen as a target. He longs to have someone he can be like this around, can just hang out with and be friendly, but he's long since convinced himself it's never going to happen.

Character Theme: Blake's only conscious goal in life is to survive it. His life hasn't been easy, and it's hardened him to the nature of the world, made him see it as a place where you either do everything you have to to survive, or you don't. But some part of him deep down knows there's more to life than mere survival, wants it to be true no matter how much the rest of him thinks this is nothing but a fairy tale, yearns for someone to prove his own cynicism wrong. So, I suppose that conflict would be his theme.

Character Song: (It's awfully hard to pick one song out of his hundred-some-odd-long playlist, but I think this one does the trick!)
Other: (Any little tidbits we might find interesting about your character.)

Aawww... Alright. See you guys later when this moves to the next era.

Just a heads up, @Potatocat, that the next era will be team-centric in a school setting, i.e. there will be the equivalent of rank battles, so keep that in mind if you wanna come up with a skeleton so you can post almost as soon as that era starts.

Oh, i think I'll pretty much just keep what I have, unless when I see the OOC for the next era it seems totally inappropriate. But from the outset, that setting seems even more appropriate.

What I mean by team-centric is that you'll have a team or two or three characters. You can either play all the characters on your team, or form a team with another person's character(s). The max variable count per team is 3 (so one teammate with one variable, one teammate with two, or three teammates with one), and since mental variables can't be removed, they count as one even if you don't use it.

Alright, everyone. I'm not sure if I'm completely satisfied with this first post, so it's subject to editing, but for now, it is what it is. If you all want to make your first posts, feel free to do so.

I'd like to mention that first posts should only serve as an introduction for now, i.e. no one mention trying to escape until the group learns that Silver has been sent off on a mission (which they'll hear over the intercom). On that note, who does plan on suggesting they try to escape?

IC Thread (also linked to in the episode list provided here): CLOSED SIGNUPS - The Variable Project

Question, the Mental side you mentioned was because they inserted a chip into their heads right, not because actual mental psychic abilities? They just added the chip in their head for them to be able to focus of their abilities into something mental-like? Or I'm just stupid and not getting it. hahaha

Also, I understand they were taken from their families. Was this a good taken? Or a bad taken?
And just introduction right? Okay.

EDIT:
@FieryCold I think that June and Pyotr would get along, like June trailing after him like a puppy bodyguard. I'm actually thinking that his loyalty could be tied to either him and/or Mordecai (@jeshem). Or he could be loyal to both, like a very loyal underling kind of thing. What do you think? :U
But that's up to you.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: Aois
The chip is inserted through the back of the neck via small incision, so yeah. You're only given one if you test compatible though.

And they weren't taken from their families. They're orphans. They were abandoned by their families before the government got them. They were probably from differenr orphanages and whatnot.

I would suggest that Eva spark the idea though I wonder how many people would listen because it's her.

Status
Not open for further replies.