8 a.m. to 3 p.m. EST
Writing Levels
  1. Adept
  2. Advanced
Preferred Character Gender
  1. Primarily Prefer Female
Genres
Modern Fantasy, Fantasy, Psychological, Action, Steampunk
red Please check here for any unanswered questions you may have before asking them here. More information will be added here as it's mentioned in the roleplay. Thank you.~
General Information | Roleplay Information
Character Sheet | Character List
Episode List | Maps

The Variable Project

In the year 2100, scientists discovered a latent ability within certain humans that would later be deemed "Psychokinesis". This ability gave these select few the ability to control objects with their minds, speak telepathically, and even fly. They spent seventeen long years investigating this phenomenon, before finally deciding what its use would be. Those select few with the ability of Psychokinesis became known as Variables, and became trump cards in the military of their respective countries. The bringing in and training of these people was kept secret, and became known simply as "The Variable Project".

Psyche

Psychokinesis use was not without its drawbacks, however. Continued use shortened one's life span, and deteriorated one's brain. Excessive use in a short time period could even kill someone right then and there. Some Variables who pushed the limits too far became Corrupted Variables, deranged humans who became nothing more than dangerous, mindless killing machines. They were either killed or taken into captivity. Because of these dangers, scientists developed a drug known as Psyche, which was administered every so often through a chip implanted on the back of each Variable's neck. They became dependent on this drug, and now, should their chip be removed, they wouldn't last a week without manual administration of Psyche.

Weapon Variables

8755260-3d-black-sphere-on-white-background.jpg

The Base Form of a Weapon Variable

In 2127, the first weapons built specifically for use with Psychokinesis were created. They were named "variables" after those who would wield them. In the beginning, only short-range physical type variables were available, but other types were created a few years later, and along with them, the Variable Efficiency and Compatibility Test (VECT). The VECT is a test used to determine which variable types a Variable's Psychokinesis is compatible with. While most only tested compatible with one, there were rare occurrences where an individual tested as being compatible with two. In order to use a variable, a Variable must touch it and attempt to "sync" their Psychokinesis with it. Nothing will happen if the variable and one's Psychokinesis are incompatible, unless the variable is a custom variable, in which case the individual will convert to a Corrupted Variable and die shortly afterwards.

Variable Type Power Speed Flexibility Year Developed
Short-range Physical High Medium Medium 2127
Long-range Physical Medium Fast High 2130
Short-range Mental Low Fast Low 2131
Long-range Mental Low Fast Low 2132
Short-range Physical
Short-range Physical variables required constant contact in order to be used, but offered high power and decent speed and flexibility (the ability to shape-shift quickly and effectively). They're often used as held weapons, such as swords, maces, etc. They can also be manipulated into all sorts of shapes, and can also be used as a shield.
Long-range Physical
Long-range Physical variables often take the shape of a small sphere that floats near the user. They do require one time contact in order to "sync", but can be used freely afterwards. The solitary sphere can be manipulated just as short-range physical models can, but it can also multiply and divide. The less dispersed the sphere is, the more power each shot packs. The power is decent, but the speed and flexibility make up for it.
Short-range Mental
Short-range Mental variables are only effective at within a small radius. As with all mental type variables, this variable is inserted into the brain as a chip, and thus, cannot be manipulated or used as an actual weapon. Mental variables are often used to increase sensory perception, but can also be used to enhance memory, processing speed, and knowledge banks. These are the preferred types for missions involving espionage.
Long-range Mental
Long-range Physical variables are similar to short-range mental variables, the only difference being that their effective range is larger. These are preferred when it's better for the user to remain at a distance.

In addition to physical and mental type variables, variables are also separated into general and custom variables. General variables are inferior, but anyone whose Psychokinesis is compatible with their type can "sync" with them. Custom variables are superior, but, as the name suggests, are custom made for a specific person's Psychokinesis. Should anyone else attempt to "sync" with one, they'll become a Corrupted Variable.

Spacial Variables

In 2140, a third type of variable that came to be known as "spacial" was created. They resemble antimatter in that they eat all they touch, and circle the user as small spheres, much the same as a dispersed long-range physical type does. Because of the high level of danger presented in such a variable, it was banned in all countries. Some still work on it under the radar, however.
Spacial Variables
Spacial variables are slow moving and aren't as flexible as physical type variables. Regardless of this fact, their destructive power far outmatches that of physical types. It is because of this that they've been banned from use.
Short-range Spacial
Short-range Spacial variables have a smaller range of influence and can't be seperated from the user too much, or the "sync" will be broken. Because of this, users of this type mostly use their variables as a type of inpenetrable shield.
Long-range Spacial
Long-range Spacial variables are perhaps the most dangerous variable type yet discovered. Unlike short-range, they have a much greater range of influence. The downside is that wide dispersion generally leaves the user open to attack. Likewise, the slow moving nature of Spacial variables means it takes time for them to disperse and cause any real damage. Opposers should be wary of fighting a long-range Spacial variable user in tight spaces, however.

International Variable Organization (IVO)

In 2142, the International Variable Organization, a top secret group, was created. The group was run collectively by the heads of each country, and outlined laws, regulations, and policies regarding the use of Variables in warfare. It's essentially the United Nations for Variables. The group also acted as a center for planning should any Variables go rogue. If any of them do, the heads meet and discuss a method to best eliminate them before they become too great a threat.

Current Timeline of Events

Event Year
Scientists discover Psychokinesis; research begins. 2100
Great strides in Psychokinesis research made; discussion for use begins. 2116
Decision to use Psychokinesis users as military trump cards reached; research continues. 2117
First variable weapon created; initiation of the Variable Project. 2127
Creation of Long-range Physical, Short-range Mental, Long-range Mental type variables. 2130, 2131, 2132
Spacial type variables created, tested, and banned. 2140
International Variable Organiztion (IVO) founded, establishing rules and regulations covering various topics of Variables. 2142

Last edited:
I had a song for Eva's usual happy demeanor instead of her struggles with self acceptance, if you wanna see.

Announcement:

Just want to let everyone know that you can start having character relationship discussions with each other. You may have noticed in my character sheet that Merci and Esme know each other from before they were brought in. That's basically what I'm talking about. Since our characters have known each other for a while before the roleplay's start, it's natural they have feelings and thoughts about each other. Letting each other know what those are might help a bit in character interactions.

Episode List:

Episode Zero: Prologue
Episode One: Escape
Episode Two: Island Compass
Episode Three: Corrupted
Episode Four: Tea with the Queen
Episode Five: Battle in Ireland
Episode Six: Together by Choice
Episode Seven: Cold, Distant Land
Episode Eight: Unconditional
Episode Nine: Memento Mori
Episode Ten: Fortress of Snow
Episode Eleven: Silver
Episode Twelve: Land of the Free?
Episode Thirteen: Cortice
Episode Fourteen: Release
Episode Fifteen: Epilogue

Last edited:
Made some minor edits to Eva's sheet, might make a few later to clarify some things.

Reactions: Aois
I'm PMing some of you guys parts of the story where your particular character will be very useful to have around. Just take it as a heads up of things to come.

@FieryCold
@HELL BOY☆
@jeshem

How do you all feel about the RP's length? If there's anything in particular you want to do with your characters, feel free to PM me so I can factor it in. I'll add more episodes and scenes if need be.

I'll also be adding little skits here and there to help dive more in depth into who our characters are without rushing the story ahead.

Everyone's CS has their fancy BBcode and fonts, I feel very lame now. Anyway I've finally found a fitting song for my character. Seeing how it's actually one of my favorite, I have no idea why it took so long to find.

Reactions: Aois
Don't worry about it, @jeshem. What matters is that we enjoy ourselves once things start. And I'm glad to see you found a song. I'll give it a listen tomorrow when I have access to faster internet.~

Play My Theme Song--->

12207497188725dc293c834b7738a447.jpg
Name: Alexis Akiyama
Sex: Male
Birthday: 28-09-2128

Ethnicity: American Japanese (His mother was from the Pennsylvania, U.S.A. and his father from Tokyo, Japan)

Latency Age: 14 years old, causing a terrible accident that changed his whole life.

Variable ID# (VID#): #8

VECT Results: Long-range Physical

Personality:
Alexis' personality is kind of complex and really fragile, even when he always trying to be strong. In some occasions, you can see him all joyful, cheering up everyone if they're upset, but there will be times that you will see him so depressed that he just wishes to be dead. Maybe he suffers from bipolarity or this is just a symptom of his Psychokinesis power. Nobody knows for sure, but so far Alexis hasn't lost his mind, so as long as he stays that way, nobody seems to mind it that much.

Emotionally, Alexis' really sensible, so any rude comment or words will pretty much hurt him. Still, he isn't rancorous, so if there's an apology after that, he will gladly accept it and just do like nothing happened. This one of his biggest weakness, because he could be simply manipulated and he won't even notice it.

Even with his messed up personality, Alexis is a really brilliant guy that can solve a lot of hard problems with creative ways and once he establish a goal, he will do anything for reach it, no matter what it takes. He's a really loyal friend that will always be there for anyone no matter the time. And because his thoughts are totally opposite from Mordecai Booker, Alexis always have some issues when interacting with him, not liking at all his attitude.

Character Theme: Alexis only has one main goal that he's willing to reach no matter the consequences: a world where Variables like him could live in harmony with the rest of the people. He doesn't like to be treated like some kind of weapon the militia could use at will and dispose of when they think he won't be of useful anymore. He thinks that if every Variable works together, his vision will be possible.

Other:
The main color of Alexis' eyes are hazel but after his Psychokinesis power wake up, his right eye faded to bright red, which glow every time he uses his power. Also, an excess use of the Psychokinesis makes him fall asleep, completely exposed to danger. Thus, this can change if he keeps training in controlling that power.

Last edited:
@Shinku, only problem I can see is his VID. It has to be a number between 6 and 13 that someone hasn't already used.

Reactions: Stray Shinku
Nope! 8 is all yours! Accepted.~

• Love
Reactions: Stray Shinku
@Shinku, your character song is unavailable in my country, haha. Any way you could find a link that works internationally?

Haha, damn it youtube red.

Two more characters and we'll be good to start, guys.~

Status
Not open for further replies.