8 a.m. to 3 p.m. EST
Writing Levels
  1. Adept
  2. Advanced
Preferred Character Gender
  1. Primarily Prefer Female
Genres
Modern Fantasy, Fantasy, Psychological, Action, Steampunk
red Please check here for any unanswered questions you may have before asking them here. More information will be added here as it's mentioned in the roleplay. Thank you.~
General Information | Roleplay Information
Character Sheet | Character List
Episode List | Maps

The Variable Project

In the year 2100, scientists discovered a latent ability within certain humans that would later be deemed "Psychokinesis". This ability gave these select few the ability to control objects with their minds, speak telepathically, and even fly. They spent seventeen long years investigating this phenomenon, before finally deciding what its use would be. Those select few with the ability of Psychokinesis became known as Variables, and became trump cards in the military of their respective countries. The bringing in and training of these people was kept secret, and became known simply as "The Variable Project".

Psyche

Psychokinesis use was not without its drawbacks, however. Continued use shortened one's life span, and deteriorated one's brain. Excessive use in a short time period could even kill someone right then and there. Some Variables who pushed the limits too far became Corrupted Variables, deranged humans who became nothing more than dangerous, mindless killing machines. They were either killed or taken into captivity. Because of these dangers, scientists developed a drug known as Psyche, which was administered every so often through a chip implanted on the back of each Variable's neck. They became dependent on this drug, and now, should their chip be removed, they wouldn't last a week without manual administration of Psyche.

Weapon Variables

8755260-3d-black-sphere-on-white-background.jpg

The Base Form of a Weapon Variable

In 2127, the first weapons built specifically for use with Psychokinesis were created. They were named "variables" after those who would wield them. In the beginning, only short-range physical type variables were available, but other types were created a few years later, and along with them, the Variable Efficiency and Compatibility Test (VECT). The VECT is a test used to determine which variable types a Variable's Psychokinesis is compatible with. While most only tested compatible with one, there were rare occurrences where an individual tested as being compatible with two. In order to use a variable, a Variable must touch it and attempt to "sync" their Psychokinesis with it. Nothing will happen if the variable and one's Psychokinesis are incompatible, unless the variable is a custom variable, in which case the individual will convert to a Corrupted Variable and die shortly afterwards.

Variable Type Power Speed Flexibility Year Developed
Short-range Physical High Medium Medium 2127
Long-range Physical Medium Fast High 2130
Short-range Mental Low Fast Low 2131
Long-range Mental Low Fast Low 2132
Short-range Physical
Short-range Physical variables required constant contact in order to be used, but offered high power and decent speed and flexibility (the ability to shape-shift quickly and effectively). They're often used as held weapons, such as swords, maces, etc. They can also be manipulated into all sorts of shapes, and can also be used as a shield.
Long-range Physical
Long-range Physical variables often take the shape of a small sphere that floats near the user. They do require one time contact in order to "sync", but can be used freely afterwards. The solitary sphere can be manipulated just as short-range physical models can, but it can also multiply and divide. The less dispersed the sphere is, the more power each shot packs. The power is decent, but the speed and flexibility make up for it.
Short-range Mental
Short-range Mental variables are only effective at within a small radius. As with all mental type variables, this variable is inserted into the brain as a chip, and thus, cannot be manipulated or used as an actual weapon. Mental variables are often used to increase sensory perception, but can also be used to enhance memory, processing speed, and knowledge banks. These are the preferred types for missions involving espionage.
Long-range Mental
Long-range Physical variables are similar to short-range mental variables, the only difference being that their effective range is larger. These are preferred when it's better for the user to remain at a distance.

In addition to physical and mental type variables, variables are also separated into general and custom variables. General variables are inferior, but anyone whose Psychokinesis is compatible with their type can "sync" with them. Custom variables are superior, but, as the name suggests, are custom made for a specific person's Psychokinesis. Should anyone else attempt to "sync" with one, they'll become a Corrupted Variable.

Spacial Variables

In 2140, a third type of variable that came to be known as "spacial" was created. They resemble antimatter in that they eat all they touch, and circle the user as small spheres, much the same as a dispersed long-range physical type does. Because of the high level of danger presented in such a variable, it was banned in all countries. Some still work on it under the radar, however.
Spacial Variables
Spacial variables are slow moving and aren't as flexible as physical type variables. Regardless of this fact, their destructive power far outmatches that of physical types. It is because of this that they've been banned from use.
Short-range Spacial
Short-range Spacial variables have a smaller range of influence and can't be seperated from the user too much, or the "sync" will be broken. Because of this, users of this type mostly use their variables as a type of inpenetrable shield.
Long-range Spacial
Long-range Spacial variables are perhaps the most dangerous variable type yet discovered. Unlike short-range, they have a much greater range of influence. The downside is that wide dispersion generally leaves the user open to attack. Likewise, the slow moving nature of Spacial variables means it takes time for them to disperse and cause any real damage. Opposers should be wary of fighting a long-range Spacial variable user in tight spaces, however.

International Variable Organization (IVO)

In 2142, the International Variable Organization, a top secret group, was created. The group was run collectively by the heads of each country, and outlined laws, regulations, and policies regarding the use of Variables in warfare. It's essentially the United Nations for Variables. The group also acted as a center for planning should any Variables go rogue. If any of them do, the heads meet and discuss a method to best eliminate them before they become too great a threat.

Current Timeline of Events

Event Year
Scientists discover Psychokinesis; research begins. 2100
Great strides in Psychokinesis research made; discussion for use begins. 2116
Decision to use Psychokinesis users as military trump cards reached; research continues. 2117
First variable weapon created; initiation of the Variable Project. 2127
Creation of Long-range Physical, Short-range Mental, Long-range Mental type variables. 2130, 2131, 2132
Spacial type variables created, tested, and banned. 2140
International Variable Organiztion (IVO) founded, establishing rules and regulations covering various topics of Variables. 2142

Last edited:
Roleplay Information & Rules

In this roleplay, you will be playing as a Variable-in-training who escapes, alongside several others. The major goal of this roleplay will be to look for clues leading towards incriminating the Variable Project. Why you're trying to incriminate it will be revealed as early as my first IC post, so don't worry about needing to know why. The year we'll be roleplaying is the year 2146, so keep that in mind when deciding your character's age and birthday. I'll mention now that your character won't be that strong. For the duration of the first era, your characters will be equipped only with general variables. I'd like to mention now that there will be a risk of your variable shattering/your character dying in this roleplay. Also, the most characters I'll be accepting right now is eight, because too many more people than that escaping will be a little farfetched, and they'd have a really hard time doing much of anything in secrecy.

As expected of any roleplay, there are rules, outlined below.

1. Follow all Iwaku rules and policies (obviously).
2. Absolutely NO godmodding whatsoever. As I've already mentioned, your characters won't start out strong. They may be strategic, but as far as having actual experience using a variable, they're pretty new.
3. Posting expectations are at least once every three days, and you should be capable of pushing out at least a paragraph each time you post, if not more. PM me ahead of time if you know you'll be unable to post so I can automate your character for the time being (don't worry, I won't kill them off). If you go a week without posting and without telling me you won't be able to, I will start moving towards killing your character off.
4. No OOC drama. If you must have it, keep it to PM and try not to let it affect the roleplay. If the drama pertains to something in the roleplay, I'll review things and settle them myself.
5. If you're unsure of anything at all, bring it to my attention immediately. The sooner things are cleared up, the sooner we can get back into roleplaying.
6. I can't think of anything else at the moment, so enjoy this obligatory "Have fun!" rule.~

Last edited:
Character Sheet

Name: (Full or first, whichever you prefer.)
Sex: (Pretty simple.)
Birthday: (When did your suffering begin?)
Appearance: (Anime picture and/or description, in paragraph format, please.)
Ethnicity: (All our characters start in the US, but we all know, or at least most of us know, how diverse it is there.)
Latency Age: (When did you first display having Psychokinesis?)
Variable ID# (VID#): (Pick a number 6-13, no repeats.)
VECT Results: (Basically, what type(s) are you compatible with? I'm not allowing any spacial type characters, but I will allow characters compatible with two types, just PM me first with what types so I can give the OK. If your type is mental, include what your variable does so I can approve it; if you need examples of what mental variables can do, feel free to PM me and ask.)
Personality: (Just give us a little glimpse. All our characters know each other, and this will help us know how to interact with each other. Include positives AND negatives. Paragraph format, please.)
Character Theme: (Because all great characters have one.)
Character Song: (Self explanatory. What piece of music best suits your character?)
Other: (Any little tidbits we might find interesting about your character.)

IMPORTANT NOTE:
Because you won't know the circumstances of why you're a Variable-in-training until after my first IC post, you can include a bit of your character's history in your first IC post, if you prefer.

Last edited:
Looks cool. Before I ask if I could join, I want to clarify whether or not our characters will have to be "good guys"? I ask because I generally play a chaotic neutral/lawful evil character.

Reactions: Aois
@jeshem, a Chaotic Neutral/Lawful Evil character would be fine. It'll certainly make things interesting for everyone else. Just make sure to remember your common goal with everyone else: to expose the Variable Project for what it did to them.

Okay, I'll start working on a CS

• Thank You
Reactions: Wryneck
Sounds good. Just a heads up that I added a Nationality section, just in case you copied the CS before I added it.

Name:
Mordecai Booker

Sex:
Male

Birthday:
??/12/2129

Appearance:
Psychic.(7th.Dragon.2020).full.1710245.jpg

Hair: white, long, messy, Partially covers eyes

Eyes: Left, blue. Right, black.

Height/build: average/medium

Physically, Mordecai is not much to look at. When he isn't smirking or scowling, his face is rather forgettable and his average build allows him easily to blend into a crowd, not standing any taller or shorter than the people around him.

Ethnicity:
Chinese/Caucasian

Latency Age:

Variable ID# (VID#):

VECT Results:
Short-range physical

Personality:
Mordecai has no wish to be the villain that burns the world nor the hero that saves it. Any deal he makes is for himself and any alliance he breaks is only for his own convenience. In terms of human life (or life in general), Mordecai would prefer not having to take it but will not hesitate nor regret once he has done so. He does not care much about loyalty or friends, to himself or to others, not blaming anybody if he is betrayed and not hesitating to betray another.

Emotionally, Mordecai is as dead as possible without actually being dead. He is completely apathetic to other's joy or suffering. Albeit this, Mordecai usually acts as the joker or fool of the group with jokes and sarcasm.

Although not a brilliant actor, Mordecai is able to quite easily blend in with his surroundings. He is observant and patient, often sitting still for hours if needed in order to pick up the practices of the people he was among. He has also trained himself to be able to lie with a straight face and voice, just to make sure he could keep a charade up as long as he needed.

Character Theme:
Mordecai is the wild card, the unpredictable variable in the equation, never truly malicious but never benevolent either. He switches sides on a whim and is only loyal to himself and his final goal. He is never among friends and those who call him their ally should watch their back.

Character Song:

Other:
Although Mordecai has a habit of hiding what he is feeling, he does little to hide any dislike towards another person. How he displays this dislike varies on the level of his dislike, from making mean jokes, to picking fights with sarcastic remarks, to even outright attacking them on sight.​

Last edited:
  • Love
UPDATE:

Nationality on the character sheet has been swapped out for Ethnicity. Sorry for the confusion!

Name:
Esmé Jacques

Sex:
Male

Birthday:
April 11th

Ethnicity:
French

Appearance:
Esme is relatively tall and slender, standing at 5'11". He is of average build, if not a little slimmer, due to never caring too much for excersize or eating correctly. His hair is a warm strawberry blonde shade, with the cut being slightly long, with his bangs often falling over the front of his face. Despite the light tone of his hair, his eyebrows and eyelashes are a somewhat darker medium-brown colour. The teen's eyes are a golden-brown, though the irises are often hidden by his inconveniently long lashes, which often bump against the lens of the glasses. His skin is rather light, with warmer, reddish undertones.

Latency Age:
Twelve

Variable ID# (VID#):

VECT Results:
Long-range physical

Personality:
Generally, Esme lacks a sense of humour and ends up taking everything -- including himself -- way too seriously. When he was younger, he was often praised for his intelligence, and thus developed a staunch sense of pride that he still will not let go of. While his exterior is cold, but overall harmless, internally he is somewhat narcissistic and relentless. Esme rarely prioritizes others over himself, and struggles when working in a group. And despite disliking systems and regulations, he will play by the rules of the authorities for the sake of making himself look superior.

Character Theme:
He generally struggles with accepting himself for being selfish and trying to understand himself, before addressing those feelings in a healthy way. Instead, he tries to suppress his pride, which often ends up with it bursting after being bottled up. The theme of acceptance vs. rejection of his true nature is something that will follow him.

Character Song:
Code Geass - Cold Nobility

Other:
He is rather well-read and well educated, as well as able to speak three languages (French, English and German). Esme also has talents in music, as he wanted to be a musician when he was younger.

Last edited by a moderator:
  • Love

Name:
Esmé Jacques

Sex:
Male

Birthday:
April 11th

Appearance:
Esme is relatively tall and slender, standing at 5'11". He is of average build, if not a little slimmer, due to never caring too much for excersize or eating correctly. His hair is a warm strawberry blonde shade, with the cut being slightly long, with his bangs often falling over the front of his face. Despite the light tone of his hair, his eyebrows and eyelashes are a somewhat darker medium-brown colour. The teen's eyes are a golden-brown, though the irises are often hidden by his inconveniently long lashes, which often bump against the lens of the glasses. His skin is rather light, with warmer, reddish undertones.

Latency Age:
Twelve

Variable ID# (VID#):

VECT Results:
Long-range physical

Personality:
Generally, Esme lacks a sense of humour and ends up taking everything -- including himself -- way too seriously. When he was younger, he was often praised for his intelligence, and thus developed a staunch sense of pride that he still will not let go of. While his exterior is cold, but overall harmless, internally he is somewhat narcissistic and relentless. Esme rarely prioritizes others over himself, and struggles when working in a group. And despite disliking systems and regulations, he will play by the rules of the authorities for the sake of making himself look superior.

Character Theme:
He generally struggles with accepting himself for being selfish and trying to understand himself, before addressing those feelings in a healthy way. Instead, he tries to suppress his pride, which often ends up with it bursting after being bottled up. The theme of acceptance vs. rejection of his true nature is something that will follow him.

Other:
He is rather well-read and well educated, as well as able to speak three languages (French, English and German). Esme also has talents in music, as he wanted to be a musician when he was younger.
Can you add Ethnicity?

Accepted! I love your character so much, mang. He'll be fun to interact with. I look forward to seeing how he'll face the challenges this RP throws his way!

• Love
Reactions: HELL BOY☆
The personality section looks good to me, @jeshem, but feel free to add to it as you see the need! A theme isn't required by the way, but I figured some people like being able to link their character to some fitting music.

I'll add your character to the character list now though, since he's as good as accepted already.~

Oh, theme as in music theme...y'know, I originally thought that too but Hell boy's CS had a different "theme" in mind so I got a little confused. Anyway I think I should be done.

Reactions: Aois
Yeah, either is really fine. Whether you express it through music or words, the point still comes across.

Status
Not open for further replies.