The Legend of Renalta (Updated: 03-06-2016)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Double post, the terror, I know.

Just wanted to offer people the chance to tag along with Mikan when she scouts ahead in my next post. No more than four of you can go with her. Just mention it here in the OOC if you want to volunteer to go with her. If more than four of you volunteer, Mikan will pick the ones she likes the most instead.

If no other decent combatants go along, I'll offer up Rahim. He's not exactly fabulous at stealth though, so...

Double post, the terror, I know.

Just wanted to offer people the chance to tag along with Mikan when she scouts ahead in my next post. No more than four of you can go with her. Just mention it here in the OOC if you want to volunteer to go with her. If more than four of you volunteer, Mikan will pick the ones she likes the most instead.
Ah, I could already imagine a brawl over who goes with Mikan. Any-ho, don't count on Baldrik going unless he's ordered by Kouri.

Amaia volunteered for the scout party IC.

Dean did as well, if I recall correctly.

Amaia volunteered for the scout party IC.

Dean did as well, if I recall correctly.
You recall absolutely correctly to my recollection. Leaving 2 slots available unless folks want to brawl it out.

Alexander does not volunteer for completely unknown reasons. *cough*

Kalemn would volunteer if they're going on foot rather than horseback.

Would Tahlia/Faolan count as one or two from Mikan's perspective? Assuming she leaves the horse with the others, that is.

EDIT: If one, both volunteer; if two, Faolan volunteers alone, unless someone else would rather take his place. (Though he has both stealth and tracking on his side, so.)

Another IC post, another OOC post. As per the norm. Here, I'm going to be explaining a slight alteration to the posts, and explain some more terms.

Sections
  • The Veteran's Advice: A collab between me and @RoranHawkins plus Kouri's plan. Simply wrapping up the previous scene and moving onto the next scene.
  • Whispers from the Dark: Hinting at the future, once again remarking on how some of the NPC's are interpreting player characters. Your pasts may haunt you.
  • Predator, or prey?: Mikan's group did well in avoiding being spotted and now has the advantage of knowing there's trouble ahead. They are a couple of hills away from Kouri's group, and if either group creates a lot of noise (ex: Screaming) they'll know something is wrong. Otherwise, they are out of eyesight of each other. Be careful about the amount of noise you make, the mountains have scary shit other than orcs to contend with.
  • Something is wrong...: Kouri's group has altogether failed to avoid falling into a pratfall, but at least has the solid enough amount of experience and initiative to not be caught completely flat footed. The situation they're in is now unavoidable, be it an ambush, a test, or magic gone awry, but they can at least plan for what's going on before falling for it.
System Notes
  • Individual posts by players will now push the story forward, instead of by me. This scene is large enough to warrant it. This means that the GM (hi there) is switching to a purely reactionary stance. I may start a couple of collabs with the NPC's if it would make sense to do so, but otherwise, it's on you guys and gals to do things! Describe your actions, tell me what you're doing. Collaborate with each other or with me if you want. Interacting with the body, or with the woods, or making loud noises, or otherwise interacting with the environment around you, will cause me to make a reactionary GM post. The pace of the story is now in your hands, I'm trusting y'all with it. At least, until this scene is over.
  • I will be updating the character list later to bring it up to date. Cennick is approved and has replaced Fischer, so keep this in mind. :ferret:

ERM MAH GERD ANOTHER IC POST. ERM MAH GERD, ANOTHER OOC POST TOO! ERM MAH GERD: DOUBLE POSTING! THE HORROR!

OOC Update
  • Jaro & Pat were moved to the inactive section.
  • Fischer was moved to the abandoned quest section.
  • Cennick was added to the active list.
  • We now have 13/16 spots filled. Character bleed-off is happening as expected. :ferret:
IC Update
  • Combat is now a thing. Posts during this section should be fairly short unless your character is caught in a duel, so don't worry with struggling to be 3-4 paragraphs long. If you can't manage it, stick to 1 or more.
  • If I think your character might reasonably react to something going on close to them, I'll act accordingly. (Ex: If an enemy is swinging an axe at your head, I'll assume your character would have the good sense to block it or evade it without demanding that you write that, leaving you free to write your reaction to it.)
  • If your character is set to defend someone else as per your writing, I'll act under the assumption that they are defending that character. (Ex: If Baldrick sets himself toward aiming at anyone who threatens Kouri, I'll assume he would fire at the next target to attempt it, if any should attempt it, within my GM post. Again, cutting down on the amount of repetitive content y'all have to write back to me.)
  • Duels occur as collaborative posts. If an NPC engages a PC in a duel, I'll start the collab. If a PC engages an NPC in a duel, that player needs to engage me in a collab. Further rules will be stated on a case by case basis.
  • Because battles are inherently chaotic and hard to follow (especially in a literary medium), follow these general rules of thumb.
    • Don't fret too much over the exact positioning of where everyone and everything is. Just focus on yourself and any enemies engaged in combat with you. I'll attempt to give a general idea of where everything is relative to everything else, but it's always a general rule of thumb. Imagination is powerful and ultimately necessary to make literary combat function without bogging it to an impossibly slow pace.
    • I'll generally note how many "free" combatants there are in an area which are readily visible. Free combatants may engage to help their allies, wait as reserves, et cetera.
    • If you are not occupied with combat, you can help anyone who is, or engage a free combatant and take the advantage of initiative to put them on the defensive.
For acting against an NPC...
  • Act toward them as you would a player character: Attempt to strike them, and explain what your character might do if they successfully hit their target. I will act out on future plans a character has if I know they exist and they succeed in their initial set of actions.
  • I'll let you know via the OOC if an NPC is in such a position where your character can simply execute them. Otherwise, auto-hitting = bad, as always.
  • If you want to work with an allied NPC (such as a party member) to engage in teamwork-based attacks, simply request it in your IC post through dialogue (ex: "Kouri, throw a bolt of ice at X!") or ask me for a brief collab. (Only 1-2 responses, in order to maintain pacing.) Allied NPC's may also ask for help from PC's: It is entirely your own discretion if you want to help them or not, but doing so (or not doing so) may impact your relationships with them in the long term.
For NPC actions against you...
  • I'll determine whether or not an attack is successful, either on the part of a PC or an NPC. This does mean that your characters can be struck by my NPC's without my having to ask your permission for it. If an NPC is in the midst of performing an attack but has not yet hit you, that means your character has a window of opportunity to attempt to deal with the attack however they see fit.
  • NPC's may be more or less savvy of your character's abilities and of their own capacity for teamwork against you dependent on their background. NPC's will also generally be better or worse at certain tasks dependent on their physical capacity and occupation. (An orcish warrior will be pretty solid in melee combat for instance, so engaging them in melee combat as someone who is not well versed in melee combat is a great way to get yourself killed.)
  • NPC's will be more likely to simply injure you than kill you outright in cases of successful blows, but instant death is not impossible. It's also possible to be knocked out instead of killed. In the case of KO's, the enemy may attempt to capture you, or simply finish you off. Your odds of enemies favouring a KO over an outright kill depend on their general nature (city guards are more likely to try and capture you alive than berserk jungle warriors) and the "value" of your character in their eyes. (For instance, most enemies will prefer to take Kouri alive instead of dead. Unlike Marcus, who most would happily end without hesitation.)
  • Leader NPC's often exist, and attacking them is often a good way to end a fight early... Assuming you can reach them. Some leader NPC's also double as bosses, who will happily pound your face in if you try to take them on alone.
If you have any further questions, as always, let me know. I'll answer them whenever I can, though it's probably best to leave them in the OOC here. More activity here never hurt anything. :ferret:

As for a few neat points...

@Kadaeux Samuel's air elemental deflected an attack heading toward @Seba Kasienka.
@RoranHawkins Alexander and his horse proved faster than an orc on the draw, though he's now out of position.
Krasnyy is the bestest best lizard ever.
Yes, Mikan did just call Amaia "sunshine." :ferret:

Reactions: Slade
Fifteen against eleven, many of whom aren't combatants.

They should've brought more orcs.

Reactions: Seba and Orion
@Kadaeux @Soulless @Holmishire @rusty4297 I'll be replying with a GM post to everyone else either on the 21st or the 22nd, so better hurry. Remember: I only need a paragraph, and in fact, a single paragraph is probably better for pacing! :ferret:

Reactions: Seba
Who's going to be the first to die/get grievously injured?

Well, history has already repeated itself in the form of gratuitous horse based carnage.

First Elrbetrt's stables-worth of steeds, and now Marcus's.

Well, history has already repeated itself in the form of gratuitous horse based carnage.

First Elrbetrt's stables-worth of steeds, and now Marcus's.
Yeah, but Elrbetrt was a malicious rider; she practically rode those horses to their, and inevitably her, death. Marcus didn't plan this!

But Marcus is a thiefling so we'll blame him anyways. I mean, xenophoby and racial stereotypes ahoi?

But Marcus is a thiefling so we'll blame him anyways. I mean, xenophoby and racial stereotypes ahoi?
Amaia approves and agrees wholeheartedly.

Status
Not open for further replies.