The Knight's Wanderer

He was rather surprised by the change in this story from the usual ones. "Well, I'm lucky I never faced him on the route here." He noted quite easily. He seemed rather calm despite the eerie feel to the story. As a story teller himself, he'd become used to controlling his expressions over time. "There is a similar story in a town near here...But the horse isn't a skeleton as well. A skeleton horse must be hard to ride...Though if I were a skeleton as well, I suppose it would be about the same as a normal horse ride."

He was rather shocked to hear Eliza's response, and it showed unusually well on his face as he glanced at her. "It seems you survived well, but that must have been quite shocking!"

Laura cackled. "Luckily we found her...the ghost rider saw somethin in her and let her be. The only survivor of her group."

He frowned while sighing with relief, his brow slightly furrowed from contemplation. How many had been in that group, he wondered? This was certainly a tale he could tell in the future, but he was certain there was more to it than he knew. But was it a good idea to find out more? "Well, thank goodness she did. It's a shame for the others of the group, however...and a shame for you as well, Miss, for having to go through such a devastating situation."

Eliza shrugged. "I was but a child."

Laura frowned. "Once so young should not have lost parents..."

He could relate in losing his parents young- it made concern that much more troublesome on the man's mind. "I'm sorry to hear it either way."

He smiled a bit from her confidence, despite the frown. "I know you did. And I for one am lucky you had. Every moment leads to the future, you know...If you hadn't chosen the path you did, I'd not have met you, and thus we wouldn't be sitting here right now."

Laura smiled. "She had done much in this town."

"I can only imagine. She's done much in this town...And for those outside as well, I'm sure." His thoughts were mildly spoken and gentle in manner, but remained true to his personal beliefs. "At least, that is what I've observed."

Eliza shook her head. "Enough flattery. Laura what work do you need from me today?"

Laura pointed up at the roof. "Theres a spot that keeps leaking."

He chuckled. "It's not flattery, just my opinion." He turned when he heard her begin to speak of her work, and moved to look through the many books. One caught his attention, and he began to scan through it, lost in thought as he did so. The book was delicate and carefully handled in his hands, and his eyes seemed to read each word for a long time. However, his eyes were watching with wonder as he read. The book had basically captured him entirely.

Eliza nodded. "I left some planks outside just in case. I'll just go handle that." She set her sword on the table and took off the top part of her armor to reveal a black tank underneath.

His eyes turned to the noise of changing, but quickly averted back to the book. He could tell her figure was a bit more apparent to him without the armor, but also found himself contemplating why she'd worn it if she was going to take it off so soon anyway- then again, he wore his cloak on a regular basis without any real need. What was the point of his cloak? That thought caused him trouble as he read, but he quickly pushed it off to finish the part of the book he was reading. He turned to look at Laura. "I'm going to guess you've known her a long while, yes? You seem to get along well, the two of you."

Laura smiled. "I helped raise her after her parents' death." She laughed at Eliza. "Dear...you've never waited this long to take off your armor."

Eliza shook her head. "I didn't want to slip on the roof, Laura." She shrugged, heading out the door and to the side of the house.

He watched Eliza leave curiously before turning to Laura again. "It was very kind of you to take care of her. It seems you still do as well...It's a kind thing to see."

Laura went over to pat his cheek. "You would as well. Once you get past her rough exterior..." She shook her head and picked up a few more books.

Eliza climbed up quickly without the weight of her armor. Once up there, she easily spotted the hole and took a plank and began to hammer it onto the spot needing a patch up.

"Rough exterior?" He looked at Laura curiously. "She seems rather kind and easy to speak with to me. She may not speak a lot, but she speaks enough. I don't find her rough at all." He smiled a bit- perhaps it was in his nature simply not to judge one in such ways, but he had never thought of her that way at all.

"Then you are the first." Laura replied, smiling at the roof as she heard the hammering.