The Knight's Wanderer

Seeing Eliza exit from her home, he was slightly surprised and yet smiling from the fact itself. "Good morning, Miss Knight." He molded the words quite naturally, deciding to call her what he'd called her originally despite knowing her name properly. It was hard to tell why he wasn't using her name when it was clear he knew it- however, he was very strict with himself not to. "Did you get good sleep? After alcohol of any level, sleep can be quite refreshing...Then again, that is what it's meant for in general."

Eliza jerked her head up and looked at Joseph. "Oh, good morning, tale-spinner." She put a palm on the pommel of her sword and nodded at him. "Unfortunately, my men encouraged me to drink one too many." She winced, bringing her other hand up to her head. "That seems to always be the case when we return from a job. I am, however, feeling quite refreshed. And how are you this morning?"

He chuckled slightly- he had been right about the general situation. "One too many is always certainly a hassle. Perhaps watering it down would help? They say that for every drink, water can dilute it. At least, on the other side of the mountains it's common to hear that." His grin was still clear as he watched her, listening to her own response- it wasn't as often as he'd like to admit that one would respond to his question with the same, but at the same time, it had stopped phasing him long ago. "I slept well, thank you. I look forward to a new day...A new day means new stories to learn, as well as many to tell."

He thought her response over for a moment once more. "Do you have any plans today? If not, I might bother you to tell me where the library is- or just wherever I'd find the most books." He took out his journal to brush some dust off of it using his cloak. "I plan to go to wherever the children play later to tell some tales. I have some tales that are rather fun for children. Other children told them to me."

Eliza smiled at him warmly. "THe place with the most books would have to be the wise woman's hut." She motioned for him to follow her as she set off down the road.

Seeing the gesture, he followed without too much of a question- however, he seemed slightly curious as he did so, keeping her pace as he finally asked what was on his mind. "Aren't I being a bother by having you lead me? I know that a knight's job is to help the people, but it'd be bad if I kept you from keeping away danger for the rest of the townsfolk."

Eliza smiled and shook her head. "Nonsense. One of my men slipped a note to me today saying that half of my squad was going to help out at a farm around here. That was the next task for us apparently." She continued yo walk down the road

He walked alongside her, though slightly behind as to keep from going the wrong way as she lead. "Only half? I always assumed a squad was all together for a job. That's quite an interesting route...But at the same time, it does make some sense. Must be a bit more efficient, since it would mean part of the squad is free for another task..." He thought it over a bit. "I wonder how it's chosen who goes to what task then, though? Still, you have your methods. I find it quite encouraging and interesting."

"Some of mhh men have more...domestic tendencies than the rest. Those are the ones that are married and i would not wish them to join in a dangerous battle unless necessary."

He smiled a bit- it was clear Eliza had a strong interest in keeping her men and their family happy and safe. "I see...I take it you're not the married type then?" He found it rather easy to say, but wondered afterwards if it was such a good idea. "I suppose only time will tell what the future will bring, but I do hope it'll bring you happiness."

Eliza shrugged. "The only men that have yet been brave enough to ask for my hand have shown that the only reason they have was for their own honor."

"Then it makes sense for you to have turned them down." He replied in a matter-of-fact manner. "Though on the one hand, I can see their reasoning too...I'm sure every man wishes for a beautiful bride at least once in their life time. Although I am no exception to that, I am rather happy as a traveler, and it would be rude to my wife if I were to leave so often."

Eliza shook her head. "I would settle down if there was a man kind enough." A silly grin came across her face. "Too bad they are few and far between. I, too, am too restless to settle down for long..."

He watched her expressions curiously, keeping his arms clearly relaxed as he held a pondering expression of his own. "I'm sure there's one out there. He just hasn't met you yet, clearly...Also, don't you generally live in this area, besides your work taking you away at times? That's at least partially settled down- far more than I."

She shrugged. "I have houses in several cities."

"I see...Isn't it hard to take care of so many homes though?" He looked at her, a bit curious now. He'd never thought to have a home in even one city, let alone several. "That's an interesting idea though...I should try to do that in the future. But so far, I don't go back very often to towns I've been to in a year's time...So perhaps it's best the way I'm doing things. So far, I just live day to day." He took a pouch from his pocket and opened it- he had enough funds, but not an exuberant amount. "I should probably make sure to eat something later...I should write a memo when we get there, I suppose."

She looked at him with a smile. "When I am not living in my houses, I let others stay there until they get back on their feet. Sometimes, a farmer or two will let his family stay there in the summer." She pointed to a house that was down the lane. "That's the wise woman's hut." She approached it and knocked on the door. "Wise woman! I have brought you a scholar!"

He was surprised to be called a 'scholar' suddenly. He'd heard many words for his job. Tale-spinner, story-teller, and just simply being called a traveler were what he was used to. But being called a 'scholar' was a new one to him, and it somehow made him feel a bit warmer. Someone was accepting his knowledge as intelligence, it felt, a bit more than many did in the past. "It's nice that you let others use your house when you're not there- it helps to keep it less lonely, no? There's a story about homes that are not used in a long while becoming lonely and leading to hauntings."

Eliza nodded. "Aye, that way some use is coming from them."

And old woman jerked the door open. "I thought I heard a Mizz Eliza." She waved them both in. "Have a seat dearies." She picked books up off her table and began to stack them on another shelf.