The Kingdom of Evertrue

• So many newbies lately! Here is a very important PSA about one of our most vital content policies! Read it even if you are an ancient member!
Status
Not open for further replies.
Clarice nodded slightly at hearing the servant girl's words, still maintaining her smile. "That's fine," she said softly. She paused, an amused smile coming to her lips. "We all know I had no prior experience being a Queen before coming here," she added with a light, musical laugh. "That's the thing though, my dear - if something matters to us, we learn. If something is truly meant to be - if I'm meant to be Queen and if you're meant to be a guard - then we'll figure it out and become good at it. I think you'll make an excellent addition to the royal guard, especially as an investigator." She paused for a moment, her pretty brown eyes taking in the girl's frail appearance. She looked almost breakable, but then again, so did Clarice. "Do you have fighting experience?" she asked next.

(Hazard Three Pt. 3)

Things were starting to look dire: The toad had made several more direct landings and now Aros was hobbling more than walking. He hadn't broken anything, but he was drained, and wounded from the constant flying and crash landing. Truly, he had never thought that he would die to an over-fed toad. In fact, he didn't think he'd die much at all: he was an elf after all and they did live for really long periods of time.

Aros spat more blood out of his mouth, and wiped it from the shallow gash on his forehead that had been bleeding incessantly since the second fall. It muddied his vision, and made it hard to focus on his assailant who, by the looks of it, was satisfied with its conquest.

Sensing his death would be imminent if he couldn't pull something off, Aros triggered his camouflage spell again, shielding him form the toads gaze for a moment. Visibly confused, the creature began to gargle and grumble before dashing forward--then backwards--in confusion. It had temporarily lost its prey. Using the confusion to his advantage, Aros quickly made for the pyramid's base. s he did he noticed something peculiar; the toad had stopped moving entirely, and its eyes were slowly scanning the surface of the troubled water.

He knows I'm still here. He's looking for abnormal patterns in the water. Better move slower.

Aros slowed his movements to a float, sensing he couldn't keep up the magic for much longer. As he reached the steps of the pyramid, he took several stones in his hands from the river bed. Slowly, he scaled the steps, all the while watching the toad in the middle of the pool as it hovered motionless. Now at a balcony just atop the first flight of stairs, Aros figured that the best way to make it out of the Gorge of Confusion alive was to himself be confusing.

Releasing all the rocks over the edge with one hand, he waited until he could hear the sickening attack screech from the beast before standing back up and releasing the spell. It had come flying through the air, and succeeded in nearly topping the outcropping Aros was on in its attempt to hunt what it thought was its prey in the water below. It didn't have time to realize it mistake: Aros vaulted over the balcony, brandishing his blade with both hands high above him.

One of its round eyes turned to the sound of his own eager battle-cry and witnessed for a mere second the face of an adventurer truly consumed by his endeavor: never had he felt more alive in all his life as he did then in free fall, his victory at hand. The blade spun in his hands, and came crashing through the center of the toads flat, bulbous head. Narrowly had Aros managed to dodge the slime-covered spines as he fell, but the elasticity of the toad's head caught him well, and split easily to his blade's persuasion.

The Beast let out one final cry of anguish as its life escaped it, and attempted another jump. Unfortunately, it only managed to lift itself on its hind legs for a second before falling back down into the water.

I...

I did it.

Aros could hardly breathe: he was exhausted from his plight, and covered in cuts and bruises. Begrudgingly he looked at the fleshy floor he had taken to sitting down on and inhaled sharply.

"You were a damn good challenge. A marvel of nature that no one out there in their homes--their ordinary cities and jobs--will ever witness. It was an honor to have fought you, and I'll always remember your fat, ugly face when I'm out there finding more like you." As if in response, the toad's body heaved once, before expelling it's stomach's contents in all directions. Aros laughed softly, but took it as a sign that he should grant himself a couple moments more to rest before climbing back up the marble steps.

• Nice Execution!
Reactions: Teiso
HWDGS21.png

Aias slumps against the door of the King's bedchamber. Moments before, he could have been seen hovering over the befallen ruler. His relationship with him was questionable at best, but for some reason it sent him into distraught. He knew he was sick, but to actually see the illness..

Aias had made his way through the castle in a casual manner, briefly listening into the conversation that had attracted him here, using one of the many tunnels that were made for the Andreia purpose. Like many other things, few actually know about them and for those who did never managed far before encountering sudden dead ends. Of course, these dead ends were doors in disguise, but who needs to know that?

For gaining entry into the bedchamber, he simply posed as a caring nobleman, an emotional son worried about the King. But, he actually does end up worried.

One of the men posted soon makes his way down to the audience room, reporting the visiting Aias. He will wait outside the room until it is over or until he is directly called in to report.

Aias, for now, does not care. He just puts his knees to his chest and ponders.​

Allora

Allora nodded furiously in response to the queens question. She had gotten in a scrap or two in her time living in the castle, mostly with other servants, or the noble children who acted like she should worship them like some kind of god. The result of most of the fights had Allora ending up with broken ribs, mostly because the noblemen didn't fight fair, and they had guards nearby who would fight her instead of worrying about fighting her personally. Allora had picked up quite a few tricks in these fights though, and the fact that she practiced with a sword in secret only made it easier for her to say yes.

"Of course your highness. If you remember all those fights I used to have with the visiting nobility. Though they may not have fought fairly and used guards, I still was able to hold my own long enough..... that and.... well I don't practice openly because the other servants laughed at me for it, but I have practiced with a sword."

The last measure of his expedition was at hand. Aros had waited patiently for what felt like an hour for the corrosive bile to travel downstream enough that he might disembark the corpse of his former assailant. When the time came, he slid down its back and into the cool water. Immediately, he turned back towards the ancient pyramid and trudged through the knee-deep water towards the stairs. At the top, he could feel some sort of magical energy. Perhaps something of great value lingered at the top.

There better be some damn money here.

After what seemed like forever, he managed to pull himself to the very top of the staircase that traveled from the water all the way to an antechamber just below the top of the tower. Aros recognized the architecture as a religious, or royal temple of sorts: there weren't many rooms at all beside the top-most chamber, and the antechamber just below it. When he reached the top of the steps, he found himself in awe of how well preserved the artefacts inside the tower were: sculptures of elvish deities long past, and warriors of another age, lined the walls as he entered. Each of the four columns holding the ceiling of the room aloft were decorated with jade murals of scenes he did not recognize. With the cover of the top-most chamber, and distance from the forest, there was no growth to clear, or dirt to wipe away. The room was quite nearly as it had been in the ancient days, with the exception of weather damage here and there.

Aros spent some time admiring the artistry of the place; he took an obscene amount of pleasure in making faces to the various statues of elf royalty, and admiring his own reflection in their polished surfaces. Did he entertain himself for too long perhaps? Definitely. He rationalized his tomfoolery by remembering that he did nearly just die to a bloated toad-beast and probably deserved a minute to catch his breath before facing whatever lay at the topmost chamber.

Taking his first step on the last flight of stairs between the two floors, he felt a great magical pressure in his head. No doubt he was about to understand why the Gorge of Confusion was called that to begin with.

Alright. Here we go.

Clarice laughed softly at hearing Allora's words, giving her a slight nod. These fights must have been before Clarice's time, because she didn't remember anything of servants picking fights with noblemen - especially not a servant such as Allora, as small and elfy as she was. She was pleased to see that Allora was trying to follow her heart - if she enjoyed the art of swordfighting enough to do it on her own despite being laughed at by the other servants, a job with the royal guard would be perfect for her. "Very well," she said, nodding. "Allora, I grant you the position of investigator among the royal guard. Your duties will involve looking into matters that aren't simple solutions, helping local guardsmen to perform the same task within other cities across the Kingdom, performing any investigations that my husband or I may request of you, and providing written reports and documentation of all that you do - the tasks you undertake, anything you find out, and the conclusions you come to, along with any actions you may recommend I take with regards to the matter," she said, a grin on her lips. She felt happy that she could give this girl what she wanted - Allora seemed so eager and hopeful, Clarice couldn't be happier.

Allora

Allora was beaming, up until the point the word written came into play. At that point her smile faded, and she turned red.

"A-actually your highness, I have no idea how to read or write....."

She suddenly became more interested in her shoes then in the conversation, the cowl on her cloak suddenly was on her face once again, to hide the red coming to her cheeks. The servant girl had just never had any time to learn, nor had it fit in with her job description. No one wanted a servant around the castle that knew or was able to know as much as them, at least that was the head servant's reasoning. Plus the key words across the kingdom, came into play, meaning she would likely travel out of the city, a prospect that quite frankly frightened her.

Diodora had risen when the queen requested it. He had respectfully listened the whole time. He didn't know that Allora couldn't read or write, but he had his hunches. He had never seen her attempting to write or read anything ever. He knew it was going to be a tough task, but he wouldn't have recommended Allora for the job if he didn't think he was up to it. He decided to speak up.

Your highness, if I may intercede. I had known that Allora could not read or write and I came before you to recommend her anyway. The reason being, she has so much drive and determination, that in a short period of time, she could be one of the greatest scholar's in the kingdom. That is how much confidence I have in her. She is at a young enough age, that she can learn things rather quickly still. I shall take responsibility and add literacy to her training. You have heard that she does not struggle with the words. Once she learns to read and write them, it will be perfect.

He mentioned everything respectfully, yet honestly. That is how the Queen would want it to be.

Clarice nodded at hearing Allora's words, pausing thoughtfully. She could always have one of the other servants - one who was literate and educated in the fine arts of reading and writing - educate Allora, teach her these arts so she could write up reports of her work. Perhaps she'd offer a bonus to the servant who took the time out of their day to help the young elf. Before she could voice such an idea, however, Diodora spoke up and volunteered himself. She smiled at hearing the suggestion and she gave a quick nod. "Excellent. That saves me the work of finding someone to do it," she replied. "I'm certain you'll find it comes easily, miss Allora, you should have no troubles once you get started." She then turned her gaze towards Diodora. She admired how willing he was to take this girl under his wing - she couldn't help but to wonder whether there was something more between them than just what she saw. "You will allot a minimum of one hour of training time each day to teaching Allora to read and write. All the materials in the royal library upstairs are available to you, and if you need to purchase any other materials, let me know and I will provide you with the gold for it," she said to him.

Its...the most brilliantly preserved crime scene in all of history.

Scores of bodies in various positions of disarray covered the floors. He could tell form their shape where detail lacked that they had been wearing armor. A host of battle ready soldiers, all surrounding to coup-de-grace: two figures locked in what looked like a duel. Even under the stone crust that petrified all of the bodies, Aros could see the finest detail on the both of them: they were at the epicenter of whatever shock-wave had ripped their world apart.

The taller of the two warriors had been dressed in ornate and royal plate, and wore a thin, headband like crown that curved into long points behind his elven ears.

Always with the damn ear pieces. Glad I wasn't born in a time when this was in fashion.

The armored statue also brandished a battleaxe above his head, frozen in mid-swing towards the smaller warrior beneath him. Aros's eyes turned to the younger warrior, who--from an almost seated position--had obviously won the fight with what appeared to have been a rapier. The blade was deep in the larger warrior's plate, but the true indication of his victory was the tarnished, decayed fragments of a locket that dangled from the blade.

Aros lightly plucked the shattered piece from its encasing, and realized that it had been the pendant that had caused the calamity: even then, perhaps centuries later, its magical presence was beyond anythign he had ever felt. Whatever charm it once had, the intrepid soldier who had shattered it in an attempt to free his people of its power unwittingly released it all at once. Still, Aros wondered if the young soldier ever knew what he was doing, and if he did, Aros wondered what sort of villainy his enemy must've exhibited to make everything that he had witnessed worth it.

"I guess that solves it then." Aros tossed the broken piece to the floor. The confusion magic couldn't be dispelled as the pendant was no longer functional. Now, like a poisonous haze, it hung forever over the Gorge of Confusion. Aros could tell from his elvish sensibilities that the crown and battleaxe would be ripe for the taking if he so wished it. He stared for a time at all the frozen faces, and etched their looks of terror into his mind.

No. Magic destroyed this place. I don't need enchanted tools to be great--not like whichever madman was crazy enough to drive his subjects to commit mass suicide to stop him. But that rapier...

"Sorry friend. I'll take good care of it." Aros pulled the blade from the husk, and beat at the ancient stone until it crumbled away from the gleaming antique rapier. While not magic, its handle was embossed with a brilliant and ancient jade design. There he left the two vigils, and instead moved to the throne at the back of the chamber. At its base, a moderately sized casket lay. Flipping it open, Aros's eyes lit up in glee: a heap of ancient gold coin lay untouched (700g). Aros closed the case, and taking a last look at the frozen battle behind him, walked out onto the bridge that connected the top of the pyramid with the top of the gorge.

With a new rapier fastened to his belt, and the box of gold under his arm, he took his first steps back out of the gorge and immediately felt the pressure on his mind cease. His vision--which he hadn't even noticed had been affected--became clearer, and his perception of the wilds suddenly a hundred times better.

Aros realized that the danger of his expedition--while well worth it--had put his world into perspective. He couldn't run off on some lonely quest for victory: he would return to Eastway and operate from there to travel to all the eastern ruins and dungeons he could before taking off for the wider world. He was a rookie at best, and until he was comfortable with his own achievements, it would be futile to pursue a part of the realm he had no knowledge of.

Better to make a name for myself locally first, and then show the rest of the world what I've got.

(EXPEDITION COMPLETE)

Diodora smiled at the Queens Decree. He bowed and saluted to her before he spoke to her.

Thank you, your Highness. I assure you, your kindness and faith will not be misplaced. If you do not have any other tasks for me, I shall take my leave and have Allora fitted for her armor.

He was smiling. He was happy that Allora was going to be able to live her dream. The young girl was one of the few people he actually admired. Plus, more help for the Royal Guard meant that the queen would be safer. Which is his ultimate mission. He just hoped that the girl would be up to the task as he stuck his neck out for her. He put his name on the line for her.

Clarice nodded at hearing Diodora's words. She took a second to think, but quickly, she concluded that she had nothing more to say. "Then I wish you both luck," she said to them. "Just let me know if there's anything more you need." She paused a moment, her gaze falling upon Allora. "And Allora, my dear," she added with a grin, "I think you'll look lovely in gold." With that, her gaze fell to the woman in the black gown who hung back by the door and waited. She smiled, giving a slight nod for the woman to approach.

Because it was getting tough for her to stand, Ashley decided to go ahead and sit down on a bench within the throne room. Pregnancy was taking its toll on her, but she was adamant about keeping her position as the Lady In Waiting to the Queen. Mainly because she earned that position fair and square. She watched as a Mysterious Girl talked with the Queen. Whatever it was about, hopefully the Kingdom wasn't going to get itself into trouble or anything. She didn't really want to give birth during a war. In fact, that was the last thing she had wanted. Finally, a woman in Black showed up. That gave her an unsettling feeling in the pit of her stomach. The baby started kicking again, which left her worried. After a few more minutes, she returned to the Queen's side.

Kiera watched quietly from her back corner of the room as the Queen resolved the matter with the pair ahead of her. It seemed that one was a castle guard and one was a servant, but the little elven woman had just been promoted to the rank of investigator by the Queen. Every word that the beautiful dark-haired woman at the front of the room spoke, Kiera could see her goodness and benevolence shining through. It seemed as though all she had heard was true - the Queen of this Kingdom was a good-hearted and kind woman, and Kiera felt herself bursting with pride as she came to the conclusion that coming here to help the royal family had been a good idea.

When the lovely Queen motioned for Kiera to come forward, the witch did so. She walked gracefully, the end of her skirt sweeping the floor as she came forward. Once she reached the Queen, she gave only the slightest of bows - to indicate her respect for this woman without kneeling, for dropping to her knees was simply something Kiera didn't do. When she rose again, she turned her dark eyes towards Clarice and offered the Queen a smile.

Your majesty, Kiera said, pleased that she was able to do this. All throughout the corners of the Kingdom, I have heard rumours and speak of you. Your goodness and benevolence are common topics of discussion, and after what I just witnessed, I believe the rumours to be true. Kiera paused slightly before continuing, wanting the Queen to fully absorb her words. She wanted the Queen to know how beloved she was by her people. She wanted the Queen to know that she admired her for it and that she saw the truth in the rumours. I have heard other rumours, too - rumours of a more personal level. From what I understand, your husband the King is ill and you are struggling to produce an heir for him. Kiera paused again. She didn't want to upset the Queen, but she wasn't sure just how sensitive Clarice was about her condition. She had met women in the past who spoke openly of their fertility troubles, and she had met other women who had done all they could to hide them. You probably guessed this much, your highness, but I am a witch. I am highly skilled in the use of magic and potions, and I want to see if there is anything I can do to help you with these two matters.

Kiera quieted once she had said what needed to be said. She sincerely hoped that she had in no way upset or offended the Queen, and she hoped that her aid would be welcome. She wanted nothing more than to do all she could for this Kingdom that had offered her refuge. Healing the King and giving the royal family an heir would certainly do that.

• Nice Execution!
Reactions: Blood Lightning
Clarice listened quietly as Kiera spoke. When the witch mentioned how much the people spoke of her goodness, she couldn't help but to feel a slight fluttering in her heart. The people speaking of her in such a way was more than she could have ever asked for. When the witch addressed the matter of Clarice's struggle with bearing children, however, Clarice's excited smile faded slightly. She hadn't known that such information was known - even if in whispered rumours - across the Kingdom. She felt almost ashamed that the people knew this about her. When the witch spoke, however, of wanting to help Clarice with her troubles, she felt a flit of hope.

"You'd be willing to use your magic to help my family?" she asked in a soft voice. She found herself utterly astonished that this woman, this stranger, would come all this way to offer her aid without even knowing her before. "I - I couldn't ask you to do that for me. You don't know me at all, you have no reason to help me...but if you're truly willing to do this, I would be honoured to accept your aid."

Reactions: Blood Lightning
Kiera could see the change in the Queen's expression when she mentioned the other woman's infertility. When the Queen spoke, however, the witch heard hope in her voice. Hope and surprise. She smiled slightly to herself - a rare occurrence, as Kiera very rarely smiled, but the hope and excitement she saw in this young Queen simply brought it out of her. The woman had simply been put in an unfortunate situation, and Kiera intended to do all she could to help her out.

She watched as the Queen's pregnant companion, who had moved to sit down for a little while, rose to her feet and returned to the front of the room. Kiera had come to the conclusion that this woman had to be either a close friend or a high-ranking servant. How painful, she thought, it must be for the Queen to be in the company of this other woman every day - to see her as her stomach grew with child, as she made preparations for the baby's coming, all while being unable to do the same... Kiera's heart absolutely went out to the Queen.

First and foremost, I'll want to cast a simple spell that will provide me with some information about your condition, Kiera said, hoping that the Queen would consent - and that she would have time, because she completely understood that the Queen was a busy woman. Do you mind? If you're terribly busy we can always wait - we can do it later, when you've less to do. I'll understand. It won't require a thing, though - all I need is for you to stand up while I perform the spell, and then I will be able to evaluate the spell's results afterwards. Kiera had performed this spell many times before. It always helped her to determine what the cause of the woman's infertility trouble was, and once she pinpointed that, it was easy to figure out a solution.

HWDGS21.png

A few moments later, he simply left. His entering and leaving into the bedroom was watched and recorded. It wasn't a odd event. Many did such a thing in the early days of the illness, he doing at a later time was interesting in the least though wasn't something raise alarm.

Aias himself is wandering through the corridors of the castle. He munches on a piece of bread he had snagged after managing his way through the kitchen. His presence in the castle is not alarming. He is not well known nor popular. Aias is just a familiar face that has been seen many times, whether for visits with his family, on his own and other such thing.

Aias ends up with his measly thoughts to the hall leading to the entrance of the Throne Room. The door slightly open from the multiple people entering, he remembers why he originally came here.

Walking and leaning against the heavy doors, he listens in. He nibbles on his bread as he does so, managing to get snatches of conversation, getting the overall jest of it all. While he never got an answer to his original question, oh well. He'll probably be shoved off by a patrolling soldier and told to go home soon.

Clarice could feel her heartbeat speeding up. Was this it? Was she finally about to find out the source of all her troubles and figure out what the solution was? It seemed almost too good to be true, but this woman before her was saying it could be done. Clarice rose from her seat, taking a moment to smooth out the crinkled skirt of her gown before turning her gaze to Kiera. "If there's nothing more that you need and you can simply perform the spell right now, then let's do it," she said softly. She hoped that she was making the right decision. Did the witch intend to handle the fertility problems first, before healing Phillippe? Clarice decided not to question the witch - she seemed to know what she was doing, and her intentions seemed well-placed, so she would instead let the woman do her work and offer any help she may need.

Allora

Allora remained silent as the Queen finished speaking with her. Then she bowed slightly before the queen before turning to Diadora.

"We should go now. If you'll lead the way i'll follow."

She quietly waited for Diadora to leave. The mention of witchcraft was making her uncomfortable, as was the king's illness. She wanted to leave as quickly as possible.

Diodora quietly exited the Throne room. When he got out side he looked at Allora and smiled. We did it. You are now a Royal Guard. Then he stopped and looked her dead in the eye. Allora, you are going to have to work harder than you have ver worked before. I stuck my neck out for you. Your failure, is now my failure. I won't allow you to fail. Do you understand?

He would wait for Allora's response. Once she responded, he would lead her through the castle and out one side. It would take them to a Building . Just off the street. In this building is the Royal Blacksmith. Diodora knocked on the door, and it opened. An older man smiled at him.

How are you doing today? I have a new recruit with me who needs to get fitted. The older man looked down towards Allora.

Status
Not open for further replies.