The Kingdom of Evertrue

Status
Not open for further replies.
Clarice was quiet, waiting nervously as Kiera began to cast the spell. She was nervous, watching as the witch closed her eyes and started chanting something. The words were unfamiliar to Clarice, but there was a certain familiarity in Kiera's tone, and Clarice almost - almost - understood the meaning behind the words. As the other woman spoke, Clarice glanced down at her hands and saw a white light beginning to shine as if from within her. Her brown eyes went wide and she shot an awestruck look at Ashley.

She returned her gaze towards Kiera as the spell came to an end. She watched the other woman as she opened her eyes and gave a wave of her hands, and out of the corner of her eye, Clarice saw the white light change colours. It shone a bright, gaudy shade of green before fading away entirely. The look on Kiera's face was not a good one, and Clarice was suddenly nervous. She was about to speak, to ask whether or not the spell had worked, but Kiera spoke first.

"I - alright," Clarice said in a soft voice. She wasn't sure exactly what had happened - the spell was supposed to show Kiera was the problem was with Clarice's fertility so it could be treated. Perhaps each colour symbolized a certain problem and Kiera simply hadn't seen green before? It concerned Clarice that her problem was one the witch had never seen before, but she tried not to let it show. "If you need a quiet place for your work, the royal library is upstairs - you won't be disturbed there," she said in a soft voice.

About the same time Leander was invited into the throne room, two others were as well. He nodded to the two politely, allowing them to have their audience with the queen first. It seemed that their inquiries with the queen were very similarly to his own, and he hoped that by the time they were finished, the queen would not be too busy to grant him the same favor. It interested him as he listened... Clarice spoke openly with them, even sharing that she had been a commoner before marrying the king. Leander was stunned by her easy personality.

When the guard, and the newly made guard left, he stepped forward. "My Lady." he bowed politely, but didn't kneel as the others had, having seen that the woman appreciated less formality.

Just then, a woman approached who also wished audience with the queen. Leander was stopped and he smiled softly, waiting again. This time he also waited in curiosity, watching the witch request to help the queen with her 'condition'. Leander frowned. In Glymn City, no royal member of the kingdom would allow a witch near them... Not even with the assumption that they wanted to help. No one would trust such an innocent request. It became very hard for Lee to bite his tongue while the queen allowed her to cast the spell.

"My Lady." Finally, he couldn't keep it back any more. "I'm sorry, but... I have had many years serving in a royal court before. Excuse me, because it is not my place to speak up, but I don't believe it's wise to allow a stranger to subject you to her magic... No matter how good her intentions may be."

Kiera turned her head as the man who had entered - the man who had been waiting by the door as if nervous about entering - spoke up. A frown came to her lips at his words. Even if he genuinely thought her to be a threat, why wait until after the spell had been performed? Why wait until after Kiera had spoken the words of the spell, until after the white and green lights had shone from the Queen's body..? It was as pointless as watching the Queen eat a poisoned meal and then telling her as she stood up that it may have been poisoned.

I understand your concern for your Queen, Kiera said, gazing towards the man with her dark eyes. I know what I'm doing. You may not trust my magic, but as long as the Queen does, I think it best that you have faith in your ruler's judgement. Kiera's gaze became an icy, irritated glare. Perhaps she'd been wrong about the people of Evertrue. She had intended to turn and make her way to the library as the Queen had recommended, but she wanted to verify the Queen's trust in her. The way Clarice had spoken and looked at her before had been indicative of a trusting woman who believed in Kiera's power, but if her people were trying to convince her that she was wrong, Kiera had to see how the Queen would handle such a thing. The moment the people start to lose faith in their ruler is the moment rebellion is sparked. Kiera knew it all too well, having seen it first hand in her previous home.

It was another day for Veffelheim, and during the night he had set up a little camp not to far from the town just under a rather large oak tree. Veffelheim yawns as he recovers from his slumber, and then shortly after sits up from his makeshift bed and rubs the crust that had gathered over the night from his eyes. With not even another second later he stands completely up and grabs his throwing axe and re-equips his steel gauntlets. "Back to town" he mumbles to himself as he strolls towards the direction of the town, once there he makes his way to the town marketplace to get an idea of what Gertrude would be wanting him to do. With no further delay he makes his way to her shop. Veffelheim enters Gertrude's shop greeting her with a heart warming smile and a friendly wave, "Hello Gertrude!" he exclaims to her in a hardy tone coming forward for a big old hug. Gertrude smiles, "Oh! Hello deary!" Gertrude explains back as she accepts Veffelheim's hug, and after the short welcoming hug she then looks back to Veffelheim. "Now if greetings are out of the way I would like to start talking business." Gertrude says to Veffelheim with a drastic change of tone. "I understand, what is it you would need?" Veffelheim responds to Gertrude with also change his tone and posture drastically.

"So as you may or may not know, many of the shops around here sell furs and other extra materials that also come off of the animals that are hunted for them. Seeing as my husband can no longer do this for me I'm going to need you to in a sense re-supply my shop with such materials, though if you're going to bring anything back I would mainly be looking for the hides and furs of whatever you hunt." Gertrude says whilst standing behind the counter pacing back and forth. "Since you work for me now I'll assume you'll have no problem with this?" she says cautiously while waiting for Veffelheim's response. "Of course! This is the type of stuff I live and breathe for!" Veffelheim shouts with enthusiasm. "Great! Oh thank you deary!" Gertrude says with joy "Now I'll expect you back in a day or two" she says to Veffelheim. He smiles "Might be faster than that my dear friend Gertrude!" he exclaims to her as he continues out of her shop, but before he could leave she stops him for a second "Oh and if you're having troubles finding good spots just try, and ask around" she shouts to him. Veffelheim laughs "I'll keep that in mind my friend, and do not worry this is what I was born to do!" he says to her as he makes his way out of her shop.

Trusting too easily gets you killed.

The words that had been pounded into his mind since birth echoed in Leander's ears. He frowned at the woman, with her dark, icy glare. It did not surprise him that she was irritated with him. In fact, it was what he had expected. He did, after all, just question whether or not she was trustworthy. It had been his job to do so in Glymn City, and old habits were hard to break. It wasn't even a habit that he planned to break. Reason and common sense told him that one did not allow themselves to be subjected to a stranger's magic.

"Of course, the queen's judgment is her own and I have no right to speak against it." Leander replied with trimmed politeness. "However, my lady," He directed these words to the queen. "You must excuse my customs if they are quite different from those in your kingdom. Where I come from, I took an oath to serve my kingdom, my king, and my queen with my life. Perhaps, since I am here to request that I be allowed to do the same here.. I am forgetting that it is not yet my place to do so." He cleared his throat, folding his arms behind his back once more. "I apologize, however... If you will take it, my opinion is still the same."

In the back of his mind, Leander considered the fact that if this meeting did not go well, that Sapphire City might not be the place for him either. The thought made his stomach drop in disappointment. He'd spent so much time finding this place, and had so much hope built up. Surely this was the place he was meant to be.

The wagon came to a rumbling halt on a bluff just beyond the desert. From the top of the hill, Aros could see a wide desert expanse that started at the foot of the hill, and continued beyond his realm of vision. It was gorgeous, and ominous at the same time. Many an adventurer had perished there, if the stories of his wagon-coach were to be believed. The trip took the better part of two days to make, and throughout the journey through the mountain passes, Aros had been gorging himself on every stream and creek he could find. Knowing thirst to be perhaps a man's greatest adversary in a desert, Aros decided to eliminate the factor entirely.

"We're here. I'm not going any closer than this." The wagon-driver had slowly come around to the idea of letting the adventurer do his work for him. During the journey, Aros had divulged the tale of his first expedition, hastily adding at the end of each anecdote that he would much appreciate the driver's help were he to share Aros's tale with others. His recount was a mixture of boasting, and genuine story-telling--both things that Aros deeply loved. By the end of the trip, even his grumpy wagon-mate had cracked a smile at the notion of doing battle with a giant toad.

"Alright. Thank you my friend. Wait for me no more than two days, and either I'll be back, or this will be the end of a very short life of adventure." His ride-mate grunted in approval of the plan. He certainly didn't count on the adventurer returning. The dark-elf leapt from the side of the wagon, and strapped his armor and weapons to his body. Making haste, he took a last swig of the caravaneer's water jerkin, before giving the old man a wink and a wave goodbye. Once he began his descent, he immediately felt the temperature start to climb. Excessive heat was irritating to him, but he figured it would be just one of many discomforts he'd have to face.

One Hour Later

"Alright, the old man said to stay north if I plan on finding those lost caravans. Using the sun's position in the sky that means I'm heading..." Aros traced the position in the air with his finger, drawing it across the space in front of him until it was pointing at the distant horizon. "That way!" Without a second thought, the dark elf took off into the sea of sand, noting distant structures and rocky outcroppings ahead. He had heard thirst would kill a man in three days. He figured his elven longevity might push that boundary a bit, but he didn't plan on staying long enough to find out. Spurred on by the desire to unearth lost riches of the desert, Aros moved at a swift pace towards the first object he could find in the distance.

(Expedition Begin)

Last edited:
Clarice smiled as she saw Leander enter, but her smile faded slightly when he addressed her, saying that he didn't think it wise to allow Kiera to use her magic to help. She had grown up around magic her whole life - her mother, though not powerful to be considered a witch, had used magic regularly in her healing arts. As a teenager, Clarice had tried to learn, but she had found herself completely and utterly inept in the art of magic, unfortunate as it was. Clarice had nothing but respect for those who had the ability to use it - the discipline and determination needed to learn, the responsibility needed to keep it under control... Clarice's respect for magic-users was the very reason she'd accepted Kiera's offer to begin with.

"Your apology is accepted, don't worry about it," Clarice said to Leander in a gentle voice, the warm smile returning to her lips. "I understand your concern. I appreciate that your heart is in the right place." Her dark brown eyes shifted to look at Kiera as she moved to sit back down in her throne. "You may go. If you have any trouble finding the library simply ask one of the guards or servants, they'll be able to help you." Once she had addressed the witch, she turned her attention back to Leander with a smile. "So, what brings you here this morning?" she asked gently. Obviously he hadn't come just on the off-chance that a witch would be there to proposition the Queen, so Clarice had to listen to what it was that had brought him there to begin with.

A horse could be heard clopping in the distance, at its own pace wandering towards the Blue River. Each step whipped up a small cloud of dust in the air. Inside the cart, having paid for the ride, was a young woman, a leather bag on her lap, and a pair of krutches next to her. A new place, she thought to herself. And so it was. An entirely new beginning for her to venture on. Alone. She grabbed into her bag, pulling out a smaller pouch, clinging with the gold coins inside. Her parents, whom she was unlikely to ever see again, had granted her all the gold one would possibly need to settle down somewhere. Well, without considering the garden she was planning. With horse clops and occasional yelling about current position from the front of the simple carriage in mind, she looked out upon the brilliant sunset in front of her.

"Blue River, here we are!" She took the hint of the coachman, tucked the pouch in the bag, and threw it over her shoulder. She gripped her krutches firmly, then with shaky movements, stepped out of the cart. Pushing herself over to the coachman, she gave him a smile. "I believe I paid you earlier." Her voice was calm, but direct. "Thank you very much for the ride, Smith." The man gave her but a short grunt, before turning to his horse. "Please enjoy your stay, Miss Cydonia," he answered her, slightly sarcastic. She didn't mind. What was in front of her, was but excitement and new adventure. If struggling to make ends meet at times, she knew she had to work her hardest. Making her way into town, she was on the lookout for anywhere to stay, or hopefully get work.

Last edited by a moderator:
PrincessLala95 updated The Kingdom of Evertrue with a new update entry:

Payday

I missed last payday. Oops. All players with established occupations have been awarded two paycheques, even if you joined after the date when the last payday would have been.

I will not be here for the next payday, so you will be receiving your paycheques in a week.

Next three paydays:

December 17th
December 31st
January 14th

Read the rest of this update entry...

It had only been two hours after Veffelheim had spoken with Gertrude about what his current objective, by this time Veffelheim had already been out in the near by forests looking for unsuspecting wild life to cross his unforgiving path. Veffelheim had also changed his appearance by then covering himself in dirt and plant oils to cover his scent, this also acted a sort of camouflage. It would be some time of lurker through the forest before Veffelheim would come across any sort of animal tracks that meant any sort significance to Veffelheim.

An hour more had passed before he eventually came across some rather large track marks, almost as long as his forearm. Veffelheim had walked over to one of the massive track marks in the ground, and kneeled down to get a closer view of what details he might want to see. Just by examining the foot prints he could immediately tell whatever creature made the foot prints had claws. Veffelheim could tell this due to the claw like imprint that was just slightly about the toes of the beast. In addition the confirmation of claws Veffelheim could also determine that the tracks had been made quite recently. It wasn't long before Veffelheim realized he was near a cave as he looked up towards the direction the prints were pointing towards.

Not long after growling could be heard coming from the cave.

Veffelheim quickly springs up from his kneeling position, and into a more defensive stance. "Do you know I'm here?" Veffelheim thought to himself as he slowly made his way out of the open and into a nearby brush. He would then go on to make sure nothing had been outside of the cage watching him making sure he wasn't in a position to be ambushed.

The beast could be heard again except this time the growl was much louder, that of a bear if said bear were three times it's normal size.

Veffelheim looked intently at the caves entrance watching for any movement that would appear from it. "You're not a shy one are you?" Veffelheim thought to himself as he continued to stare the the cave entrance readying to attack with one hand gripping his throwing axe and the other in a firm fist.

Not long would it take for the hulking beast to roam out side of it's cave sniffing the air as if it were looking for intruders, it would then wonder a bit more out of it's cave continually sniffing the air, this bear was not of the usual color this one had fur as white as snow. It was no normal bear, one Veffelheim would have never thought would be in an environment such as the woodlands he was currently in.
Vindictus_Concept_Art_05a.jpg
Veffelheim gazed at the beast, he had never seen a bear so worthy a trophy. "You look like you don't belong" Veffelheim thought to himself as he contemplated when he should attack.

embed.php

23521334845_eb4be347d2.jpg
The soft wind went silently through the trees, bearing the smell of the earth and vagrant leaves as it swiftly traveled. Adaniel gazed with a bemused expression at the fiery leaves flitting about on the wind. They reminded him of hundreds of tiny phoenixes migrating to some faraway place. He wondered about their path, its destination and promised rewards. Resting in the midst of a vast forest, Adaniel began to question what the leaves hoped to gain from surrendering to wind's guidance. Something in his Elvish blood compelled him to return here occasionally to regenerate something within himself that was stifled by his time in The Sapphire City. It was times like this that made Adaniel wish to never leave the forest again. Alas, he knew that with each passing moment he was closer to being forced to return once more to the world of bustling markets and busy streets. He wished the jubilant infernos good fortune in their journey one last time before shifting his thoughts in a markedly different direction.

Soon, the sun would dip below the eastern mountain peaks and Adaniel would be reminded that it was time to return home. It was nearly an hour's trek back into the city, but one that Adaniel made regularly. Today was no different. The journey home was free of incident as Adaniel walked by his usual landmarks: the forest's edge, the dilapidated windmill on the outskirts of The Sapphire City, and then the gates of the city itself that heralded the ensuing end of his journey.

Coming into his home was a relief. Adaniel packed away what little supplies he had gathered while in the forest; nothing that would last him very long, unfortunately. He began gathering sticks to start a fire in the hearth. He had been gone from home for most of the day and the house had grown rather cold in his absence. Night-time during the autumn season in Evertrue was exceptionally frigid. Within a matter of minutes, a small blaze had started in the hearth. Adaniel found that there was a sort of art in fire making, a necessary degree of patience. Too little fuel, and your fire will be extinguished. Too much before it is ready, and your fire will be suffocated. Careful timing was an integral skill involved in the process.

When the blaze had grown into a medium-sized fire, Adaniel set up his cooking rack atop its flames. He was careful to keep his silvery tresses from the greedy little licks of fire which reached upwards in an ever-intensifying frenzy. His left foot was a bit sore, so Adaniel kept shifting his weight to his right leg as he reached for the eggs that he had gathered from the forest earlier today. It was a meager dinner, even when paired with the dried beets that his mother had dropped off for him, but Adaniel was content.

• Love
Reactions: PrincessLala95
*Tenshi pulls the bandages from the bottom half of her face to light a cigar that she made earlier in the day as she watch's the forest pass her by she usually smokes to calm her nerves but she was smoking now just to pass the time since the carriage she hired had to take a longer route to get to Sapphire city and because of that its getting later then the time she planned to arrive she pulls her cloak tighter around her to ward off some of the chill and thinks that she may have to get a room somewhere and look for ingredient's the following day*

Allora

Allora nodded.

"Yes sir. I got it. Now let's go investigate this witch. It might be best for us to do some research on this spell.... well, rather, you to do some research, since I can't read. But in any case, we should find out what spell that was. One of us should tail the witch and investigate her that way, while the other tries to find all they can on her. It would be best not to lose track of the witch, just in case, so maybe I should tail her, while you research the spell and it's results, there has to be something somewhere in that library on spells. That's what I think we should do. Then we can check in every couple of hours, see how the investigation is going."

She waited for Diadora to respond. After all, he was the commanding officer here.
That would be a good plan if one of us wasn't a rookie. I can't send a rookie off to follow someone on the first day. That would irresponsible. We must go together. We should investigate the witch first, and then do the research in the library.

He suggested. He really couldn't let her go off on her own. Not this early. She hasn't had official training. That would not be wise. Considering this wasn't even an official investigation called by the Royalty, they were already taking enough chances.

NPC received STEEL HELMET for 40g (10g discount)

"thank you, kind sir." the elf bowed respectfully. "you need not thank me. Smithing is not a job to me, as much a hobby with income." Furrow responded. "nonetheless, I am grateful. I must be leaving now. A long journey ahead of me." the elf gave a small wave, and headed out of the forgery. "save endeavours, my friend." Furrow said. He stowed the Gold In a small lockable chest. "I'm must go spend some of this..." he muttered to himself. His chest was almost overflowing. There was a screech from the furnace. "hush, Eos, I'm getting there. I'll feed you soon." he stowed the chest back in its slot in the wall and proceeded to obtain some ingredients to make bread. He also collected a couple of potatos.

He made the dough, lay it on a paddle, and put it in the furnace. "that's mine. Yours is coming." he said to the phoenix inside the furnace. He them set about cutting up the potatos. Once that was done, he used another paddle to put those in to cook. He pulled the bread out to check on it. It wasn't on the paddle. "Eos! I told you-!.. Ugh." he didn't bother putting the potatos in. He sat in his chair and ate the pieces raw, so he got at least something to eat.

Leander smiled kindly, his hands still folded as he stepped a little closer to properly address the queen. "I've come from Glymn City. As you know, and as you've seen just from these past few moments, trust is a very rare thing in such a place." He admitted, shifting his stance slightly as he spoke. "In fact, it sometimes disappears without warning or cause." Leander frowned deeply. "Such was the case with me. Conspiracies grew, and I became outcast."

Waving a hand, Lee moved on. "I decided not to let that stop me, though. I had already worked long and hard for many years on Mount Sartrand to become a knight. Surely that did not mean that Glymn City was the only kingdom I could ever serve... At least that is what I have dreamed." A hint of hope peaked in his voice as he looked up to the queen.

"It's my wish to serve your kingdom in whatever way I can. I would be fortunate, I believe, to even be allowed to become a member of your guard." His soft eyes were earnest and warm. "But I truly believe that if I can ever gain your trust, my skills would be much more suited to the position of knight."

Leander drew himself tall, proud. For a moment he almost felt as though he still could call himself a knight. "Perhaps one day I will again be graced with such a position of honor. In the meanwhile, I would graciously accept any position you could give me. That, my Queen, Lady Clarice, is my request."

Clarice sat quietly in her throne, patiently listening to every word Leander spoke as he told her his story. It was rare that the citizens of Glymn City visited the capital, as they were so brainwashed into viewing themselves as an entirely separate Kingdom when it simply wasn't true. Clarice knew that Phillippe didn't intervene simply because they were powerful enough that, if they wanted to wipe out the rest of the Kingdom and take control, they could easily do so. Their military was much stronger and more powerful than the rest of the Kingdom, especially with how spread out the royal forces were throughout the land.

"Are you originally from Glymn City? You say that you have spent many years in Mount Sartrand - are you from there? I myself hail from Sartrand. My father worked as a trainer there, and my mother is a healer," she said, curious to hear more about this newcomer. She'd also like to learn a thing or two about life in Glymn City. She and Phillippe met with the ruler from time to time, and as uncomfortable as it was, it didn't tell her a single thing about what life was like for the servants, guards, and commoners.

As she awaited his reply, she considered his request. He wanted a job, and he was skilled in fighting. He said he would be fine with work as a guard, though he believed himself more suited to knighthood. The trouble with that was that knights worked much less than guards - they were more for show than for work as Evertrue was currently in a time of great peace and prosperity. Most knights either sat around at home all day living in the lap of luxury as a result of their paycheque or spent their free time performing the work of guards, simply because there was little to do in such a position, at least right now. One day, they would likely need their army, and when that day came, Clarice knew that the knights of Evertrue would be there. Until then, knights served little purpose. If Leander truly wanted to serve, to work, and to use his skills, he would be better off taking a position as a guard.

Slowly making her way through the main street, the newly arrived woman looked in awe on the small, but in its own sense, flourishing town. As the sun was setting, not many people were outside, and she'd have to go inside stores, gardens and the like to look for work. No turning back now. This was the city she had decided to move to, and she'd have to find a way to make it work. The city, met with the fast river on one side and a small jungle on the other, was stuffed with gardens, just to her liking. Working with plants was highly preferred. Naturally, it was what she knew. She had studied botanical life all of hers, and being able to work with growing them - it would be a dream come true!

Passing through house after house, many gardens have passed her eyesight as well, yet not one was large and varied enough to catch her interest. Not until she finally saw one, situated almost by the river, in a small plot of land next to a cottage. Could circumstances be more perfect? She knocked on the door. A light wind brushed against the houses. Steps could be heard from inside, before being replaced with the loud creaking from the door. An old man, dressed in a brown cloak, gave her a suspicious look. "What'cha doing here, stranger?" the man snarled at her. "I ain't buyin' none of those wares of yours!" She stepped back in surprise. "Sorry, Sir. Name's Thalice, and I'm not selling anything. I just wanted to know..." She stuttered. "Would you mind allowing me to work as gardener in this astounding patch of yours?" The man, having almost closed the door, now stopped to listen. "And what would make you qualified to work for me?" Thalice's hopes went up. He seemed willing to give her the position. now she just had to convince him. "I've studied all different kinds of plants," she explained. "And worked on growing them the times I didn't study." The man showed clear distrust, and went back in.

He quickly returned with a potted flower, with bright purple petals, yet all but three had fallen off. "Alright, prove yer sompetense. What should I do 'bout this flower?" Thalice took a deep breath. This was easy. Graspinae Erndinecus, she had grown tons of that flower. Had he really not got any more difficult? "Graspinae Erndinecus flowers are to be watered once an hour, 20 droplets of clear water each time. Have you done that?" She leaned in on him, closely inspecting the droopy flower. "It's rather weak and hanging. Consider watering it more frequently. Also, losing petals is a part of its reproductive process, seeds are attached to them." He was surprised, but pleased. Now this was someone that could do the job. Even though he didn't really seek a gardener, some help would certainly be good, and besides, he wasn't getting younger. "Allright, you're hired. When you wanna start?" "Tomorrow would be great!" Thalice beamed, as she greeted her new employer with a handshake.

Got job as Gardener.

Bailor couldn't wait any longer. She turned to Lyn.

"Sooo i was wondering if you needed any help along in the medical feild? Grandmother was good with herbs and i picked up a few things along the way. If you need an apprentice i would love to assist"

Bailor smiled and swung her legs back and forth trying to stay calm. She eagerly awaited a response. This would be the perfect job for her and she had bo clue what she would do if Lyn said no.

Despite being quite a bit away, Thalice could clearly hear Bailor asking for a job a few houses down the road. She had just gotten a job herself, and would certainly be in a lot of distress if she was to be rejected. Should she go over to her, and offer her something? But then again, what? She currently had no home- She was told the Queen would give all newcomers in the land a simple house to start off with, and the coachman had even given her a location of the house, but she knew nothing for sure. Her new employer was also unlikely to just take in another worker, just like that. As things looked, she could not do a thing. It couldn't be too troublesome, she figured. It's not like it'll directly cost her her life.

Out of her bag she pulled a note. Leaning on both krutches, she had both hands free. A small paper note, not too old, but not distinctly new either. On it was a beautifully drawn figure of the town, with one house on the south end heavily outlined. Must be the place, she thought. And it even looks like it has a garden! Give her a patch of earth for her to plant on, and she's happy, pretty permanently. Before actually going, she made out a sense of which direction the house was in. She wasn't fast, but she didn't need help either. Practice has certainly made perfect.

Finally arriving at her destination, she looked at what would be her home for the rest of her life. That is, unless she decides to buy a bigger house, if she can afford that. A humble shack, fine, yes, but not very big. Anything would do to her, it was after all the garden that counts. The door slid up almost soundlessly, as she walked inside to the simply decorated interior. A bedroom, kitchen with fireplace, and bathroom- only the necessities, no need for more. Thalice pulled out a blanket and pillow from her bag, and left the rest on the kitchen. It had been a long both day and travel, and she was tired. She'd get to planting in the morning, she decided.

Ashley stayed by Clarice's side as she listened to each person visit the lovely queen, whether it was sharing their stories, looking for a new job, a position within the Palace Guard or Knights. Either way, they all had interesting tales to tell. Right now though, on the back of her mind, Ashley can only think about how to fix her Best Friend's Fertility Problem. It still worried her considering how the King was still ill. Hopefully the age gap between their children would not be too big. Unless the queen decided for an Accelerated Pregnancy, which Ashley was against, chances were their children wouldn't be together. Since she was in need of a Male Heir, that dream was further away from coming true. But who goes to say that they cannot have more than one child?

On a jungle road outside the City of Kruvaria...

The first thing she noticed was the heat. Where Riverside had been slightly chilly this time of year, the grand City of Kruvaria seemed bent on oppressing Ermeline before she'd even arrived. Wiping her brow once more, she looked again at the crudely drawn map her parents had drawn for her. Though the ink was smudged slightly, she could make out the various districts of the city: residential, handicrafts, market... with a big circle surrounding the entire residential district, as though that would help her find her way any better. She sighed to herself, feeling the heavy iron key weighing down her dress pocket like an anchor.

The road was bumpy, but more pleasant than the lesser storm they'd had at sea. Though she loved the ocean, being confined to the ship's hold while the world rocked around her was not the most agreeable experience. A chipmonkey swung from palm to palm alongside the cart, seemingly interested in this newcomer to its land – though more likely just looking for food. Their horse whinnied in irritation as a small stick was thrown at its head by the wayward primate.

"Shove off, ye blasted rodent!"

The driver of the cart waved his hat at the chipmonkey, which only served to rile it up. Another branch came sailing by. He huffed to himself and whipped his pony on the rump. Ermeline jumped at the sound. As the horrid creature cackled at them, finally The City of Kruvaria came into view from behind the thick wall of jungle.

It was magnificent. Ermeline had never seen anything like it. Tall walls of what seemed like pure gold rose high into the azure sky. Birds of a thousand colors glided overhead as they approached a covered stall outside the gates housing many large animals pulling various wagons and wains. A large bird standing on long legs with colorful plumage of varying shades of orange and red cocked its head at Ermie. She blinked at it. It blinked back. In the distance she could hear the sounds of yelling.

"Sir? Might I ask what the commotion is about?"

The driver pulled alongside a large grey beast with a long snout and a seat upon its back. To her amazement, the snout moved. The beast reached into the cart ahead of it and pulled out a banana, using only its nose!

"Oh, that, lass, is the festival of artisans! Every week's end, the city hosts a bazaar in the center square where any person can come out and show off their finest wares and artistry."

This piqued her interest.

"Anyone, you say?"

The driver nodded as he handed off his horse's reins to an attendant. He came around the side of the cart, picked up her only bag, and held out a hand. Ermeline took it, jumped down, and reached out to take her bag, but the driver wouldn't let go.

"See here, lass – I promised your family I'd deliver you to your new home and I haven't properly done that yet."

"You did?"

"Yes, ma'am. Now where do we be headed?"

She showed him the map (he grumbled something to himself, then) and the address written in the lower corner. He read it out to himself, thinking.

"Mmm… Mhm. Mhm, yeah, I know that place. Been abandoned for a while now. Gonna take some real effort to get that place decent, I'll tell you that. And your parents paid how much for it?"

Ermeline blushed, stammering.

"Well, it's the area, y'know? Big city and all that…"

He patted her on the head with a giant hand, calloused from years on the road.

"I'm sure it'll be fine, lass. Let's be off, then!"

Last edited by a moderator:
Allora

Allora frowned slightly, and with a disappointed look on her face, nodded, though the look was hidden by her hood. He was the senior officer after all, no use in arguing with him. She sighed and then looked back up at him, smiling once more.

"Alrighty then, where to first? We need to pick up where she was last after all."

Status
Not open for further replies.