The Kingdom of Evertrue

Status
Not open for further replies.
Allora

She nodded at Diadora.

Got it, won't let you down teach."

She smiled and followed him to the blacksmith where Diadora spoke to the Blacksmith.
The old man looked at Allora, then quickly nodded, walking into the back and taking Allora with him. After a bit they emerged, Allora wearing armor that was colored gold and looked like this on the outside: (No face mask, All armor colored gold. Except the hood.)

il_570xN.369830070_nz5y.jpg

She smiled and did a small twirl in the armor.

How do I look?"

She asked, beaming a smile at Diadora.

Diodora smiled as he watched her twirl. She was absolutely beautiful in her armor. He firmly believed that she would make wonderful Royal Guardsman.

Your beauty is even infinitely more blinding than the sun reflecting of the gold itself. You truly, look a magnificent Royal Guardsman.

He then saluted her. And smiled at her again.

Your training will start tomorrow. Though, would you like to go on one more patrol to “show off” your new look?

It might seem childish, but Diodora loved going out on patrol to show off his new armor whenever he received a promotion. In fact, when he first became a Royal Guardsmen, he went on patrol for a whole week in the market to show off.

{She stretched with a long yawn, laying there a moment before shifting slightly. She leaned against Luka's stomach while they slept keeping them warm. The boat had stopped, and her dear friend came to congratulate her on her expedition. As promised, she would give her friend 50g for taking her back and forth. She would move off the boat, and head back to Blue River village. It's about mid day, but she planned on taking the day off to rest from her endeavors. She still felt tired and worn out, even if their wounds were healed. Luka fallowed lazily flicking his tail, ears swiveling upon his head. Once she reached her three bedroom home, she would enter and put the potion, and the majority of her gold in a hidden spot that required a hint of her light magic to open, if anyone else tried they would be trapped in a very strong force field.

She moved around and set the enchanted bow on the table, wanting to get a better look at it, loving the fact its a nice long bow...about 5ft tall. It isn't elven made, but its a very nice very well made strong weapon that she can definitely see. The bow string is a brilliant silver color, the arch and main part of the bow is made of rose wood, and tungsten metal. The wood is sleek and smooth, save for the ancient carvings on the outside of it. The handle has some kind of black material that she isn't sure of, but strong no doubt. Though she still doesn't know what the bow does, it must do something to the arrows. She would have to test that out, and luckily they have some archery stalls that she requested. After eating a quick meal, she would call for Luka to fallow her to town, she wanted to get a few things and run by the healing/potions shop to check on everyone. Though she is the healer of the village, there are others but her abilities and exquisit learning she got from growing up in a castle as a princess her knowledge exceeded most in the village.

She walked around in silence, checking out a few things while Luka let some of the town children pet him. She could feel the joy he felt when they petted him, though if it were adults he would be less likely to allow any to touch. But he loved the children of their village. She spoke with a few shop keepers, and ended up buying some bread, cheese, carrots, and potatoes. She would catch meat herself, being so well equipped with her bow and an excellent archer she needn't buy any. Not that she was perfect, but a bow, and healing were her main strong points. Once she was done there she headed over to the medical building she worked in, having spoke to a villager about how the young....what was her name again...ah yes Bailor she believed. She heard her grandmother wasn't doing so well, so she decided to fix her up a potion to help out. Maybe she could even try to heal her with her own light magic. However she couldn't heal old age, plus her grandmother is all she has. She would start to whip up a pretty potent potion of healing, weather it would work or not would be hard to say sense she doesn't know the actual ailment.

She would throw in an herb their, a bit of mineral here until it glowed a soft purple. She would wrap it up, and put it with the a loaf of bread and a block of cheese neatly in a basket. She would then walk to the young girls home, Luka fallowing behind in silence. She would gently knock on the door, and wait to see if she is home.}

Allora

Allora was both fluster by Diadora's compliments, and confused. After all, why were they beginning training tomorrow? And why were they calling it quits when Allora didn't even have a proper weapon yet? How on earth would she train to be a royal guard without one?

"Thank you for the compliment, but shouldn't we get a weapon for me? All I have is my small knife, and I doubt that will be much use in a real fight at all."

She then awaited his reply quietly. Hopefully he had a plan or a solution.

"So you're plan is to leave for days at a time and leave all of your accumulated wealth in a poorly defended shack--not to mention this shack is in one of the most crime-ridden cesspools this side of Evertrue?" Jagger's voice was laden with skepticism; he leaned against the wall, arms folded over his broad chest with one eyebrow raised in question.

"That's kind of the jist of it, yes. If you think I'm stupid enough to leave it all sitting out on the counter-top then you've not been paying attention for the past decade. Why do you care anyway? I would've thought you'd be happy to know there's a veritable bank in here." Aros was only half-joking: he would have no doubt that Jagger would make an attempt on the gold at some point. He didn't take it personally: old habits were hard to kick for street rats like them. Jagger stared at Aros; his eyes were wide with confusion, and more than a little bit of jealousy. It had been his dream to leave Eastway too when he was a boy, but those days had long passed.

"Well I figure its not me you'll have to worry about finding the stuff. Carla was always lighter on her feet than either of us, wasn't she?" Aros hadn't thought of the assassin until that moment, but the idea of her not knowing his new plan dampened his smile just a little bit. He would have to make sure to tell her. The thief absentmindedly played with the hilt of his antique rapier, tracing its jade embellishments with the tip of his finger. Jagger could tell something about what he had said struck a cord with Aros, as he knew disassociation to be a favorite method of his for hiding discomfort. He didn't have to ask though; he was aware that when they had last spoke, his two friends had thought themselves parting for good. "Look, when she comes back from her mission, I'll let her know how you're handling things. Might be a bit easier if I do it, eh?"

Aros smirked, "If you want to be the one to break it to her that she got all emotional for nothing, so be it." In response, Jagger clapped Aros upside the head, and made for the shack door. "You are right about one thing though, Jagger." Aros looked up at his friend, a familiar ambitious glint in his eyes.
"I certainly don't plan on leaving all my money in a poorly defended shack for very long. Soon I'll be rich enough to move to the north quarter. Then, street urchins will be stealing silverware from me! Ha!" Jagger cracked a smile, and pushed out of the door way. For the first time in a long time, he had begun to look at Aros with a different sort of respect. He wondered what he might've been if he had been so persistent.

30 Minutes Later

Aros felt the floor of the sewer wit his boot first, checkign to ensure there weren't any environmental hazards that might prompt an unwanted bath in the canal just a couple feet ahead. Sure that there weren't, and that he hadn't been followed, he made his way along the walls until he reached a familiar maintenance alcove that had been out of service since before his time in the city. Feeling his way through the dark, he peeled off one of the planks of wood to reveal a small lock-box. There was no key of course: he threw that away on purpose. Instead, anyone looking to open it would have to be as good a lock-pick as he was.

For a long time, the box had been empty. Memories of his youth came flooding back as he opened it: inside remained only a couple of dusty pennies and a couple of fake pearls. The sight of them was enough to cause him to wince. Not wanting to revisit the day that his team had split for their separate ways, Aros made quick work of depositing 500 of his 700 gold in the box, before resealing it and hiding it back behind the wall again.

To himself, Aros whispered, "I'm sorry, but I lied Jagger. I don't plan on keeping my money in an undefended shack at all."

1 Hour Later

For a time, he considered staying in the city. There was not much of anything for a man like him: a man unwilling to kill. That was the sad truth though: poverty begets desperation, and he knew all too well how tempting even a single meal could be in times of abject loss--tempting enough to change someone into something they weren't before. He knew he didn't have to fear Eastway's influence anymore so long as he continued to be successful in his journey. It only now became a matter of finding a place to go.

Earlier, Aros had met with some of the homeless children living in the Narrows. A far too dangerous place for childhood to blossom, but a good a place to squat as they were likely to find. Gangs ran the Narrows, which meant there was work for those willing to do it. Still, they were young enough to believe in a future outside the city walls, which was enough. He had found the smallest of them: matted-hair rascals wearing clothes two sizes too big, and covered int a fine layer of filth. The ones that had a light in their eyes and a smile on their faces despite their position. To those kids, he had spent the morning recounting the tale of the gorge, and after a time even the older kids--some of whom had already turned to crime to support their siblings--joined the discussion.

"Remember: I was much weaker than most of you when I was a kid, and not half so bright. You'll have to do what you can to keep each other safe, and I get that. Just don't lose sight of what you really want when you're out there picking pockets and swiping trinkets. If you want real shiny things, you need to get out and see the world." Aros paused, before pulling out 10g from the 200 he had kept in his inventory and giving one gold piece to each of the kids there. "I want your help too. My name is Aros, and I'm going to go all over the world until I make enough money to fix all this crap." He absentmindedly waved his hand towards the rest of the narrows as he spoke. "I need you little rats to go and listen for me. I frankly don't know where to go next, you see."

They had departed after that, and when they reconvened, many spoke to Aros of a merchant claiming to be from the northeast. The last survivor of a place known as the desecrated desert. A place of many lost caravans and expeditions that reportedly held many lost riches beneath its forgotten dunes.

"You've done well, kiddos." Standing, he brushed the dirt off his mail before handing out another 10g to the kids for their service. "While I'm gone, do me another favor, and spread the word that I'm an adventurer who's willing to take on any expedition. I don't care how dangerous or far the place may be." Aros smiled, tussled the hair of a couple of the cuter ones, and made for the north gate. He had a long day of travel, but to get as far as the desecrated desert he would need to travel by wagon. The best option, of course, would be to find the merchant the kids spoke of, and pay him to take him there.

Transactions:

-500g put into storage
-20g paid to urchins

Kiera smiled as Clarice rose to her feet, pleased to see that the Queen was so eager to accept her help. She had been somewhat nervous about the proposition, uncertain whether or not the Queen would accept help from a witch, but it seemed that Clarice didn't discriminate. Kiera was pleased to know that people such as herself were still accepted by Evertrue's royalty - she hadn't doubted it when she was back in Monadalia, with how many people in that town were skilled in the magical arts, but in the capital? It was a pleasure to find herself so warmly accepted.

She lifted her arms and closed her eyes, beginning to murmur a soft spell under her lips. The spell was in another language, one that would probably be unfamiliar to most people here, but not to Kiera. She had spent many years studying ancient languages in which spells had been written - spells could be recited in any language, but the language in which they were originally written was always the most powerful way of doing it, as it maximized the spell's potency.

As she spoke, a soft white glow began to surround the young Queen. Kiera couldn't see it yet, as her eyes were still shut, but she knew from her history of performing the spell that the Queen should be glowing right about now. When Kiera opened her eyes, she gave a wave of her hand and the white light changed colours. It became a shockingly bright shade of lime green, and Kiera's dark eyes went wide. She took a step back, gazing towards Clarice with an expression filled with confusion.

I - I don't understand... Kiera said, her eyes wide and her heart racing. She had never seen the spell do that before - green? That's never happened before - usually it's pink, blue, or red...sometimes it's orange or yellow, and I've had it purple once or twice, but I've never seen it green... Kiera could feel her hands trembling. She didn't even know what green meant. She would have to go and do some more research. I have to look into this further. Thank you for allowing me to perform this evaluation, your majesty. I will analyse my findings and return to you soon with what I have learned, she said, gazing towards the Queen. She waited for Clarice to dismiss her.

Clarice was quiet, waiting nervously as Kiera began to cast the spell. She was nervous, watching as the witch closed her eyes and started chanting something. The words were unfamiliar to Clarice, but there was a certain familiarity in Kiera's tone, and Clarice almost - almost - understood the meaning behind the words. As the other woman spoke, Clarice glanced down at her hands and saw a white light beginning to shine as if from within her. Her brown eyes went wide and she shot an awestruck look at Ashley.

She returned her gaze towards Kiera as the spell came to an end. She watched the other woman as she opened her eyes and gave a wave of her hands, and out of the corner of her eye, Clarice saw the white light change colours. It shone a bright, gaudy shade of green before fading away entirely. The look on Kiera's face was not a good one, and Clarice was suddenly nervous. She was about to speak, to ask whether or not the spell had worked, but Kiera spoke first.

"I - alright," Clarice said in a soft voice. She wasn't sure exactly what had happened - the spell was supposed to show Kiera was the problem was with Clarice's fertility so it could be treated. Perhaps each colour symbolized a certain problem and Kiera simply hadn't seen green before? It concerned Clarice that her problem was one the witch had never seen before, but she tried not to let it show. "If you need a quiet place for your work, the royal library is upstairs - you won't be disturbed there," she said in a soft voice.

Diodora looked at Allora confused. He then realized that she completely forget to have a weapon made for her. They were at the Blacksmith after all. He sighed and knocked on the door again.

This is the Blacksmith. You get your weapon here too.

Suddenly the door opened again. The man appeared to them again and smiled.

I was wondering when the lady would return for her weapon.

He then ushered Allora back inside. Diodora shook his head. I certainly hope I wasn’t wrong in recommending her. Maybe it is because she is either really excited, or nervous. Maybe it is because both. Either way, she has proved to be a very bright girl in the past. No, I need to trust her and my judgement is choosing her. She has the drive and determination. She will do a great job.

HWDGS21.png

Aias still listens in on this event. It does not amuse him nor does it sadden him. Another problem, though one closer to home, if anything. The rumor of this situation was one all familiar and saw or heard of many attempts to fix the Queen's fertility.

A witch, though, was something that brought more curiosity than he had felt beforehand. Aias was no user in the world of magic and never did more than learning on how it could kill him if he encountered a person of magecraft, such as this witch. But the reaction to the spell, as he saw flashes of light through the crack of the barely open door.

He does no reveal himself, one of heightened instinct could've sensed him, a cold feeling spreading to them. This was rare due to his ability to hide his intent and his identity, but it still happened. Still, he doubts either of them have such a talent to them.

With the words of the Queen dismissing the witch- authentic, apparently -Aias remains leaning against the closed section of the double doors, assuming the witch would simply go through the one slightly ajar. His intuition wasn't famous by any means, but it served him well in basic ways.​

Bailor rose to knock on the door. They hadn't had a visitor yet today, so that was a possibility. As she approached the door she inhaled. Herbs. A mixture, possibly a potion. Having fox senses, she was able to detect such things, even in human form. She presumed it was the town medical lady. Bailor was awful with names. She usually just played along until it popped up, she was a mildly decent guesser. She opened the door to find that she had guessed correctly. The beautiful elf was standing in the doorway with a basket. Bailor inhaled and smiled as she did. She scented a bit of sage in the mixture, which was good for healing. There was also a whiff of Dong Quai, but it was faint and very unlikely. The herb Dong Quai is found in very distant lands and is very hard to acquire. She also got a hint of Siberian Ginseng which would be good to keep her grandmother awake for more of the day. "Thank you so much for coming! Feel free to come inside."

Bailor waved her inside and went to put to put some tea on. She offered the lady a place to sit. This would be the perfect time to ask her about an apprentice ship.

"Afternoon Bailor, how are you and your grandmother this afternoon?"

{She would smile graciously as Bailor opened the door and invited her in, Luka would cautiously fallow behind. Just to make sure it was okay that he entered, he is a rather large demon wolf, but would only move to sit next to where Bailor offered Lyn a seat. Before Lyn would sit however, she would set the basket down on a coffee table in the sitting area. Then she would move to take her seat, she would gently pat Luka's head, before he moved to lie down. He would nestle his head on his front paws, and yawn before drifting off into a very light slumber. The two are connected by soul, and for their safety no one in the village or else were knew it. Not that the fifteen year old girl would be a problem, it was just best to keep others from gathering such information. So even in sleep, Luka could feel Lyn's emotions, and she could feel his dreams lifting into the air as he slept. Still tired from their expidition, she too is still a bit tired but that why she was taking the day off to keep up her strength.

Of course though, she knows of Bailor...the fact she is a fox, for Luka could smell it on her just as sure Bailor could smell the demon wolf in him. It would almost be a problem if they weren't always together, then she would be able to smell the demon wolf half that she shared with Luka. If she could tell what the girl was thinking, she would give her praise for smelling the concoction and the herbs within it. She got everything but the Rhodiola Rosea, a very strong healing herb.
she brewed. She would wait patiently for her to come back into the room, sending the young girl a soft smile.}

"I brought you and your grandmother a some things. It's not much, but im hoping it will help. With her being ill and unable to work, i worry for your well being and hers. A loaf of bread, a block of cheese and a potion of healing."

Bailor smiled at the kindness of the elf. She was mildly distracted by trying to recall her name. She knew it started with an L.

"Grandmother is in the bed over there. She's been sleeping more often than not nowadays"

She fumbled names in her head. Lydia. Lya. Linda. Wait .. Lyn!! She grinned when she remembered nd figured she would give it a shot.

"Thank you for coming by Lyn. I appreciate it greatly."

She would wait until Lyn settled in to ask about an apprenticeship. She didn't want to just shove it down her throat the second she arrived. Bailor headed back to the firepit when she heard the water steaming. She grabbed two glasses and poured the tea. She had been running low on herbs with her grandmother being ill, but she had leftover lemons from a tree in the woods. She placed a strainer of a sort with the tea leaves and lemon shavings in it into two glasses. She poured the water and then went back to the table while letting the flavor expand.

She looked at the dog laying in the floor by Lyns seat. He was not normal dog and she knew that. If she were to go into fox form she could probably pick his mind, but even so, she preferred not to morph in front of most people. She would have to follow them back more than likely to find out more.

Allora

Allora was embarressed by her lack of knowledge on smithy's. She had never been to one at all, simply because her work as a servant didn't require it, and she knew smithy's were a dangerous place to go to for Allora's brand of fun, thus she generally avoided them. The smithy stared at Allora a bit more then took her into the back. After several minutes, Allora emerged, bearing an interesting sabre on her hip.

12e5b29a7a55843dba1396b0332ee91e.jpg

The old man coughed a bit and then spoke.

"Girl's got an' eye for her own people's swords. Elven blade that is. Useful in a fight, pretty light too, just right for her."

Allora smiled.

"All right, i'm all set!"

"Alright! I get it. You aren't in any craze to go back there, but I promise you I'm legit!" Aros sat back in the his seat a bit, and eyed the irritable merchant whom he had found after and extensive search of Eastway's more tourist-friendly pubs and taverns. The man was short, but thin like a sapling. He had an elaborately woven mustache that made a full ring around his mouth. Aros didn't understand why the merchant didn't just grow out a beard instead and shave the sides to produce the same effect, but then again, he didn't really get fashion. "I'll make it worth your while. A percentage of whatever I get out there. If I don't come back in time, you can leave too at no cost to yourself."

"How many times do I have to tell you? I'm not going back there ever again. That place is cursed, I tell you. It's not worth my life nor yours. Its best you give it up." Aros regarded the man with more sympathy than he had before: he could see the anguish in the traveler's eyes enough to tell that something terrible had happened to people he quite enjoyed.

"You don't have to go all the way, just get me within a day's march and I'll be in your debt. Please." Aros's persistence had slowly softened the aggravated merchant, but even then he was recalcitrant to the suggestion that he be moved. "Look, what could've possibly happened to you out there that you just went and lost your balls, eh?" The elf leaned in again, making a smashing movement with his fists to illustrate his point. "Let me go there and I'll teach a damn lesson to whichever creature, thing, or person is behind the disappearances. You won't regret it."

"I surely would, I believe. You're insane if you think that you alone have a chance." The merchant's tone wasn't confident anymore, just defensive. This was becoming a personal matter of courage now, and less one of common sense. That was good: Aros did his best work when people were blinded by emotion. The merchant had reddened a bit in the cheeks, and the stares of a couple other tavern patrons who had tuned in were beginning to take their toll on his pride.

"I have as good a chance as any." Aros stood up, lifting one leg straight onto the table-top with a loud clang. Startled, the merchant immediately reared back. Aros drew both of his swords from their sheathes, and prompty sunk them in the old oakwood table, much to the surprise of the men in the room. "Tell me, fine sir. Do these here look like toys to you? I am Aros Vilren! Plunderer of the Gorge of Confusion! Sacker of," Aros paused to stroke his chin--he had momentarily forgotten that he had only been on one expedition. Turning back, with a hint of irritation in his voice, he said,"Well I'm still new to this business, but with your help I'll also be the Sacker of the Desecrated Desert!" Then he said more to himself than anything else, "That doesn't roll off the tongue quite right, but there will be plenty of time to rework the title. What do you say?"

"You promise a cut?"

Aros smiled. In two hours the two would depart in the traveling merchant's wagon, and head north through the mountains until they reached the Desecrated Desert. The next leg of the great journey had begun, and the dark elf couldn't be more excited.

Diodora smiled at the old man. He shook his hand and thanked him. He then turned his attention to Allora. She was stunning in her armor, and with her weapon.

Allora, we have a few options. We can pack it in and call it a day or we can go on patrol. I think we should go on Patrol. It would be a good first experience for you. If you decide to do that, we have a few options. We can go on foot to wherever you would like in the city, or we can take some horses and patrol on horseback. That is always fun. The choice is yours, since you are the new Royal Guard apprentice.

It was risky to be taking the rookie out on a patrol on her first day. However, Diodora was confident in her, and she needed to experience things quickly. The drive and passion she has could lead her to become one of the best Guards in the future. He wasn’t going to stunt her growth. Plus, he would be right beside her to watch over her.

This would be a good test, to see how she handles things. The pressure and stress of the situation, listening to commands from me, and thinking on her feet. This is what she wanted, so I’ll give it to her and make sure she still wants to do this. I see a lot of myself in her. She reminds me of when I first wanted to be a guard.

Diodora had taken Allora under his wing, almost as a brother would, a younger sister.

Allora

Allora nodded.

"Let's go on patrol... though maybe skip the horses.... I had a bad experience with them once... damned horse nearly shattered my ribcage because I was behind her. I was laid up in a bed for weeks, and my arm wasn't much better... so uh.. patrol, but no horses.... Lead the way boss. Though that witch that came to see the queen... maybe we should investigate her... her offer was just too.... kind..... no one just gives help for free these days.... it's just not how the world works...."

She rested her hand on her hilt and adjust the hood slightly, then waited on Diadora's command.

Last edited:
About the same time Leander was invited into the throne room, two others were as well. He nodded to the two politely, allowing them to have their audience with the queen first. It seemed that their inquiries with the queen were very similarly to his own, and he hoped that by the time they were finished, the queen would not be too busy to grant him the same favor. It interested him as he listened... Clarice spoke openly with them, even sharing that she had been a commoner before marrying the king. Leander was stunned by her easy personality.

When the guard, and the newly made guard left, he stepped forward. "My Lady." he bowed politely, but didn't kneel as the others had, having seen that the woman appreciated less formality.

Just then, a woman approached who also wished audience with the queen. Leander was stopped and he smiled softly, waiting again. This time he also waited in curiosity, watching the witch request to help the queen with her 'condition'. Leander frowned. In Glymn City, no royal member of the kingdom would allow a witch near them... Not even with the assumption that they wanted to help. No one would trust such an innocent request. It became very hard for Lee to bite his tongue while the queen allowed her to cast the spell.

"My Lady." Finally, he couldn't keep it back any more. "I'm sorry, but... I have had many years serving in a royal court before. Excuse me, because it is not my place to speak up, but I don't believe it's wise to allow a stranger to subject you to her magic... No matter how good her intentions may be."

Diodora thought about for a minute. He thought back to seeing the witch. It is true, the queen can be very naive at times. Though it is not a Royal Guards place, except her bodyguard commander, to suggest things. Since they had not been tasked with investigating it, it would be Dio’s call as Allora’s commanding officer. Anything that happened, would fall on Dio as it was his command.

All right, rookie. We can investigate the witch. Since you suggested it, and you are the investigator, you’re on point. Consider this the beginning of your training. If anything happens, good or bad, it is on me. The Royalty has not requested this, so it is under my authority. That being said, if I tell you to do something. You had better do it immediately, no questions asked. Their is always a reason. As Partners, our lives are now in each others hands. We must trust each other. Got it?

He spoke with his usual tone which normally had an air of firmness and authority. He could be gentle when he needed, but now was not one of those times. He would wait for Allora’s response and her next actions as she was now heading this investigation.

Allora

Allora nodded.

"Yes sir. I got it. Now let's go investigate this witch. It might be best for us to do some research on this spell.... well, rather, you to do some research, since I can't read. But in any case, we should find out what spell that was. One of us should tail the witch and investigate her that way, while the other tries to find all they can on her. It would be best not to lose track of the witch, just in case, so maybe I should tail her, while you research the spell and it's results, there has to be something somewhere in that library on spells. That's what I think we should do. Then we can check in every couple of hours, see how the investigation is going."

She waited for Diadora to respond. After all, he was the commanding officer here.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.