Super Detailed Anime RP? (Interest Check, but mostly Group Plotting)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sorry, no internet till Thursday, but I came up with an idea for how the characters learn about Tim. I'd rather not give it away because it would be a major plot point in the later game so if we could wait until Thursday before beginning that would be fantastic. I may get internet before though, hopefully

• Thank You
Reactions: 1 person
Sorry, no internet till Thursday, but I came up with an idea for how the characters learn about Tim. I'd rather not give it away because it would be a major plot point in the later game so if we could wait until Thursday before beginning that would be fantastic. I may get internet before though, hopefully
Sure! So, Thursday of next week? That'll give me enough time to figure everything out and such. Maybe pick out some co-GMs (because this will fail if it's just me, I swear).

*remembers the (log horizon?) RP. It's been so long I can't even remember what the RP you neglected was :D

This phone auto corrects you to u. I hate this autocorrect.

Same, I have a couple of RPs planned but not the internet to upload them :(

okay so I'm interested in this but I have a few ideas. first is that instead of some random person transferring magic into another dimension it was ettoria's central government that decided to do it. except that sending magic to a non magical universe had a violent reaction. the universe earth was in rejected the influx of magic sending a dissonant scream of pure chaos through the link, permanently ripping a hole in the barrier between the two worlds and sending Ettoria into further chaos. the main protagonist and main antagonist although born in different locations would have half of the same soul, causing them to be naturally drawn to each other. the antagonist would follow the path of the hollow lord; a being completely empty but because of that is able to reach the magical limit for mortals without their soul being destroyed due to too much magic, the other would retain his personality so that when they combine he would have the power to cause a miracle, either changing earth's universe fundamentally allowing magic, killing him in the process or plugging the hole, where another catastrophe can come again. this would allow some interesting character interaction with the main antagonist because his biggest drive other than the inherent desire to reform his soul would be to ease his boredom but with nothing inside him he would not last long with any given distraction leading him on the path to mass murders or genocide just to "kill some time"

I do quite like this idea, but we kind of already have a plot set at this point ;n;

Well, good news. I got some internet so I'm good to go whenever.

Reactions: Kitsune
I'll be here waiting for whenever we start things up.

Okay, so, I've read most of the posts in this thread and the wheels in my mind have been turning ever since. I did skim a few that seemed redundant, so if I mention something that has already been stated don't bite my head off please! Anyway I really like the direction this Role-Play seems to be headed in, however; I do have some questions I'd like to have answered before I wholeheartedly throw in my support. If you guys would do me the solid of bearing with my OCD I'd be very grateful to you all.

1. What genre are you aiming for? From what I've read this Role-Play more than likely fits into a Shounen category, which is fine, but I don't think we should rule out the possibility of doing something more serious. The overall plot may be one that is cliche and found in a heck of a lot of Shounen Manga, but you could defiantly go a darker more serious route. Death could be a real threat instead of the heroes surviving every fight do to their 'willpower' or 'the power of friendship'' things like that. Consequences to actions could have have serious prolific effects on the world they know. One thing you mentioned earlier on is eliminating titles such as 'good' and 'evil'. A good way to do that would be forcing the character of the Role-Play to make difficult decision for their own survival.

For example: To continue their quest our heroes come to a village where they have to defeat one of the baddies deterring them. To their surprise in said village the bad guy they are after is actually a benevolent leader, and all his actions are simply done to protect his people. Now the characters must chose, kill him so they can continue their journey knowing that it would damn the village, or walk away from a chance of going home/whatever their goal is.

2. What level of realism are we trying to obtain? While in fantasy Role-Plays realism takes a back seat, it's important not to brush it aside entirely. When you do that you will have characters that get pierced through the heart and still don't die, whom summon fireballs of death down from the sky on a whim, things like that. You've said magic will be present, but to what levels will that magic be accessible and what restrictions will be placed on it? Will characters that use magic or abilities face some sort of consequence to using their powers, or will they use them freely? Will spells or the like be confined to one sort of magic, like elemental, or will it be up to the writer's imagination.

I've always been one to implement some form of rules governing magic in my Role-Plays, not that it is needed if the writer's all understand what is and is not acceptable. A higher degree of realism does not always mean less magic and fantasy elements, just that there is some form of governing elements at play for magic and the like in your world.

3. To what degree will skills be transferable to this Alternate World? The best analogy I can give is one about combat ability and overall talent. Say for example a boy is a martial artist or something similar in our world, when he goes to the hidden one to what degree will his skills be prevalent? If he is a black belt in, let's say Judo, would he still be on a black belt tier of ability in the other world or would the people there be even more skilled than people considered masters in our own world?

To sum this up: If an Eighth Degree Black Belt traveled to this other world his skill in martial arts hold the same rarity in it that it does ours, or would the standard foot-soldier there be just as well trained as the most skilled martial artist in our own world. Hope that makes sense.

4. How free are we to determine our ability? If you allow magic/special talents/abilities to what degree are we allowed to create our own, or would you create predetermined things entirely. Will there be set classes of magic like elemental, or anything goes? I only ask this again simply because a lot of time it's not outlined enough.

5. How weak will our characters start? People always start the Role-Play weaker than when they finish, typically. Just how weak are our characters going to be versus a standard soldier from this other world? In what ways will we grow in strength, and what hidden potential do we posses if any at all?

I had a lot more questions, but these are the most pressing I believed.

• Useful
Reactions: 1 person
Holy cow.

Alright, I'll try to answer these as best as I can. Everyone can throw in their two cents because I definitely didn't do this all on my own. It's like a group project. And I'm certain I might have some things messed up.

On an unrelated note, these are quite nice questions.

• What genre are you aiming for?
From everything that follows this question, I assume that you mean anime-wise? Roleplay-wise, this would fit into the Modern Fantasy + Action & Adventure genres with a lot of other unnamed elements sprinkled amongst it. For anime, I do believe that it would mostly be Shounen as well with, possibly, things like Drama, and Romance (questionable). Major Character Deaths weren't something that crossed my mind as I was thinking about all of this, actually, but I'm not terribly against it? I mean, I can see near-death experiences being a thing, so why not Major Character Deaths. On the other hand, I definitely thought that NPC deaths would happen often. I'm glad you brought up the effects of their consequences because I think that, as we roleplay, people would tend to forget about Earth and what's happening to it. If we had all of their actions have a drastic (or even small) change to their own world, it would cause us as players to think more about what to have our characters do (or....have the characters think more. You get it). I also like your way of stripping the titles of "good" and "evil". It is definitely something that we can incorporate (amongst many other ways) into the roleplay. This way, our heroes won't really be heroes to everyone, which makes things more interesting.
  • What level of realism are we trying to obtain?
When it comes to the magic in this roleplay, our characters pretty much have nothing. The only source of "magic" that they have is that they have human familiars that are able to change into weapons. The familiars transformation is activated by magic, but our characters will be lost on how to do so in the early stages of the roleplay. Not only that, but they'd also be lost on how to even use a weapon. Since we're on this topic, I think that I should bring in the opportunity to make characters that are of Errotria (or the Alternate World), which would allow people to have natural magic that they would be highly skilled with since they've had it all of their lives. Now, when it comes to this, any limitations would be up to the player, but are required. With how I'm imagining Errotria, elemental magic would fit what I have in mind for the different realm. But I also think that things like Enhanced Senses, Physical Strength, etc. should be allowed as well.
  • To what degree will skills be transferable to this Alternate World?
Here's the thing about this. Initially, @Karakui had in mind that our characters were regular school kids who didn't really do anything extracurricular, thus leading them to be bored all of the time and wanting a change in their lives (or at least one wanted a change). So, when it comes to skills being transferable, it's quite hard to decide. I like the idea of Errotria being pretty much like Earth, except they have magic. I'll have to go with someone who is really strong and skilled in Earth is only as skilled as one of Errotria's newbie soldiers, which would mean that Errotria is very powerful and I can get behind this idea.
  • How free are we to determine our ability?
You're preeeeeetty free, depending on your character. If you're one of the "heroes/heroines", then you won't get much, if any, freedom when it comes to that. For those set of characters, they won't be getting any magic of their own. They'll just have their familiars and that's about it, I believe. I mean, maybe we could talk about them learning a bit of witchcraft later on...? To add onto their combat skills. The group could all start out as combat fighters, but slowly divulge into their own thing, which would bring something new (hopefully helpful) to the group, I guess. Uh, for the people of Errotria, as I stated before I'm leaning towards mostly elemental powers with other things that deals with physical or senses.
  • How weak will our characters start?
Super weak, in regards of the "heroes/heroines". I expect them to grow a lot, though. In more of mental and emotional strength than anything else. Physical strength is a given, I think, since they'll need to go through quite some training in order to get the hang of their familiars and all. There really isn't any untapped potential when it comes the humans. They just happen to get caught up in the mess and learning a few things along the way. It's not like it was their destiny, or anything. I think the same for the people of Errotria. I don't really see any hidden potential in any character of this roleplay, but that's just me.

Ah, I hope this answered your questions a little bit. I'm pretty sure that others will answer them in their own understanding as well, so hopefully that'll give you more of a perspective of how this roleplay was imagined.

On phone and short of time so can't read much, but I like the idea of actions having consequences on Earth. Time to fuck things up :P

Also the reason I wanted no magic for the protagonists was to make the players use their heads to get around obstacles, rather than just killing everything, so I'm against strong allies from ettotria

I missed out a lot on this conversation. I'll read up when I get the chance, but I was wondering if there is ample room for either an antagonist or a evil minion kind of character. I always love when I can play a baddie

So, to answer your questions (or rather, to give my perspective on certain questions):

The degree of realism will naturally be higher than normal because average, every day citizens will not inexplicably gain pro combat skills over the course of just a few days, as is seen in most anime and many roleplays. On that note, having an Earthian that's got a black belt in Judo eliminates the point of the characters being weak - the idea is that they're not prepared for it in any way and they just have to make do with what they've got - mainly, their wit. We're not even talking Weak But Better than Average - we're talking average / below average human. "Power of Friendship" is the most disgusting concept ever, so rest assured I will plant C4 in this thread and blow it to smithereens before I allow that.

@Reanimator Bob There are no antagonists. You won't be able to make a character that's actually evil, because actual evil doesn't exist anywhere.

So reading through this I seem to have picked up this

Tim is practically the savoir of Errotia, but inadvertently the bane of earth. So the MC and Co. are sucked into the portal, where they learn about what is happening(somehow) and know they need to stop it. However, to the people of Errortia, they seem like the bad guy, because they are causing magic energy to again fill the world to excess. So the other factions and Tim and stuff are trying their damnedest to stop them, when really, all each of them are trying to do is save their worlds from destruction.

I have a plan for how they learn about Tim, so don't worry about that. I'm not gonna tell you though cos that'd be a waste of the surprise!

We hadn't actually planned for the Ettotrians to view the Earthians as villains, but that's a great idea so lets use it!

So we have six player characters at least. 3 humans and 3 familiars. Would we have more player characters who are the Errotia and such?

I think it depends on how many applications we get. Obviously, we'd look to fill up the Humans and Familiars first, but any characters beyond that will need to be Ettotrians.

Status
Not open for further replies.