Stitches (MaryGold x Lxngdon)

l a u r e n
Lauren would be lying if she said she didn't feel relieved when her father's attention was turned from her to Anders, but she didn't feel that much better in the long run. She knew she was going to get shit for this later and it would probably be physical. She had no way to avoid it. She just hoped that Anders was able to diffuse the tension in the moment.

"A gift?" Joshua asked suspiciously. "Three hundred and fifty is far too much for a single gift."

"Daddy, he --"

"Are you sure we don't have to pay anything?"

"Yes. I'll buy the formal ticket out of my allowance, Daddy, you don't need to pay anything," Lauren said somewhat pleadingly.

Joshua glared at her, handed her the receipt, looked at Anderson suspiciously and left the room. Lauren didn't breathe until she heard the front door slam. Her mother finally let out a breath too, and turned to go back to the kitchen. Lauren folded the dress again, picked up both boxes and lead Anderson upstairs to her bedroom.

She carefully placed both boxes in her closet. After brushing through her hair with her fingers, she turned to Anderson, hugging herself nervously. "I'm sorry you had to see that."

A N D E R S O N
"It's fine," Anders paced in front of her door shortly, unsure of how to feel or proceed from whatever outburst that was from Mr. Winters. He knew it was a lot or a lot for them but didn't he overreact too much? Why on earth would Anders by her that just for her to pay him back? He knew for a fact it would be forever for her too anything of the sort. It was ridiculous and he didn't appreciate how he raised his voice.

After that little debacle should he even stay over for dinner? Last time it was awkward and there was no doubt in his heart it would be worse this time. He did not feel comfortable in this house. The obvious tension reeked of something foul and strangely familiar. He didn't like it in the slightest.

"Maybe I should go and call it in for the day." Anders sat on the foot of her bed. It was the best idea he could think of, yet, he did not want to leave Lauren. It somehow felt wrong.

l a u r e n
"Maybe," Lauren said quietly.

Anderson didn't deserve to have to put up with her father's tempers. Lauren was stupid to even bring people over, to subject people to that kind of thing, but she loved spending time with her friend. She had made a mistake, and now her friend was suffering because of it. She was so stupid.

But ... she knew that once Anders went home, Lauren would cop the abuse from her father. She had no way of getting out of it. But maybe she could postpone it a little ...

Lauren quietly made her way over to the bed, sat down beside her friend and leaned her head against his shoulder. She found his touch comforting, and something she had never found in another person. She craved contact with the tall boy.

"Maybe you should go home, but, he won't come back till later." Until he had come home from the bar. "Nine o'clock at the earliest. So you could stay."

A N D E R S O N
Anders sighed heavily and pinched the bridge of his nose, closing his eyes temporarily. Frankly, he didn't want to stay, not in the Winter's household. The place made him feel uncomfortable in a way he not just disliked but loathed. Why? He couldn't quite place his finger on it ... Or maybe he could but he was too blinded or in denial. Either way he didn't want to be there.

Again, he didn't want to leave Lauren. She didn't say it straightforwardly but it was clear to see that she wanted him to stay, so, he had no other but to stay. At least until nine o'clock or whenever they served supper. And perhaps it was wrong to feel some sort of contempt toward Mr. Winters but he did and for mite reasons than one.

All he wanted to do was by her a dress and it somehow led to this. Was he so wrong in his choice of actions? No.

"I suppose it wouldn't hurt to stay a little while longer." He submitted. "But I do have to be back before ten and get my sister or my mother will ground me." He mumbled the last bit. Nina Hickory would have no problem punishing him on the day of the school dance. And he didn't blame her ... He had a record.

Anders smiled.

l a u r e n
That night was bad.

Anders left at around eight thirty and Joshua didn't come home until ten, and when he did, he was incredibly drunk. It didn't matter how much Lauren begged, how much she tried to explain the situation to her father and how much she cried. She couldn't escape his anger, or the steel-capped toe of his boot.

That night was bad.

For the entire week between that night and the school dance, Lauren had hardly been able to walk due to the pain of her abdomen. Her father had kicked her, hard, leaving her almost incapacitated the next day. She blamed the injury on a fall down the stairs when asked and prayed that they bought it because she didn't want more trouble from her father. Luckily, by the night of the dance she was healed enough to be able to walk without a limp anymore.

She was in Claudia's bedroom on the night of the dance. Claudia looked absolutely resplendent in a mint green gown with a low, scooped back, thin straps and long and floaty skirts that hit the floor. Her blonde hair was cascading down her back in loose curls and her makeup was applied perfectly. She had been spending the last thirty minutes on Lauren's appearance, too.

"There, done!" Claudia said brightly, turning Lauren's chair around so she could see herself in the mirror.

Lauren looked at herself and she had to admit, she looked pretty. Her hair was woven into an intricate updo, with a headband made out of a braid of her own hair and little tendrils that framed her face. Her actual face was perfectly made up, a soft and glowing look with shiny highlighter on her cheekbones and a pale pink eyeshadow look. And, of course, the dress was lovely, falling to the floor and hiding her pretty shoes.

"Do you like it?" Claudia asked Lauren softly, still beaming.

"I love it."

"Yay!" Claudia turned to Jenna. "Doesn't she look pretty? Should I do her makeup like this when she marries your brother?" Lauren flushed a bright red at that comment.

J E N N A
"One step at a time, Claudia" Jenna answered amusingly, looking away from the book in her hands that she had plucked from Claudia's bookshelf age stood on front of. She closed the book in her hands, glanced at Lauren fleetingly and gave her a tiny smile. "You look lovely. You both do, Anders and Lucas will have to keep you two close." The Hickory twin teased, chuckling softly, still, her words were genuine.

Jenna herself was dressed up for the occasion as well.

She had slipped on a short, just covering the knees, off shoulder burgundy dress with a flowy skirt, over her petite frame. To hide her marred legs she had black tights on, another addition being the shear black shawl over her shoulders. It was one of those rare occasions she wore her natural hair shade of dark brown. However, there was blonde highlights with hints of maroon too. Her hair had been put in a ponytail updo, curls spiraling down her back, with burgundy hair accents. Though, her makeup was light and natural, only enhancing her soft features.

Overall, she looked amazing and for once she sort of felt that way. She doubted it would last once they entered the school doors. Right now, in this moment, she was feeling calm and happy.

"The theme for dance is so simple with it being autumn woodland but I promise it's absolutely gorgeous." After all, she had designed it all.

l a u r e n
"I trust it is," Lauren said with a small smile at Anderson's twin sister. "You look gorgeous, too." And she did. It was clear that the Hickory twins had great genetics.

This was her first school dance, and Lauren was actually excited. She was excited to be going with her friends and Anders especially. She felt pretty in her dress and shoes and hair. She actually felt excited about something for the first time in forever and Lauren hoped and prayed that nothing went wrong.

When it neared the time that the boys were meant to arrive, the three girls went downstairs. Claudia's mother, Daphne, took pictures of the three girls together, then one of Claudia and her two brothers, Brogen and Quentin, who were going with their other friends. Lauren was aware that the Lightwoods had an older brother, Tate, who was allegedly in military school. Apparently Lucas had something to do with it but she didn't know if it was her place to ask.

Finally, the boys arrived. Apparently Eden's older brother Ethan had given them the money to rent a limousine for the occasion, so they stepped out of the long stretch vehicle. Claudia and Lauren watched out the window, hidden behind the curtains, as the three teenaged boys made their way up the path. Daphne let them in.

"Woah," Eden said as he stepped into the living room first and saw the three girls, dressed in all their finery, looking beautiful. "Holy shit, you three look amazing. Though, I can't say much more to Lauren and Claudia, I don't want to get beaten up by Anders and Lucas for hitting on their girls." Lauren blushed bright red again and Eden chuckled at her.

Claudia rose to her feet and practically glided across the room, a picture of pure grace, to her boyfriend. She took his hands and kissed him on the cheek. Lauren wished she could be that beautiful. She nervously stood up, fiddled with the bracelet that Claudia had lent her and gave Anderson a timid smile. She hoped he thought she looked as pretty as she thought she did.

J E N N A
"She's not my girl, she's my date," grumbled Anderson with a roll of his eyes.

Jenna had to keep herself from snorting. Her brother was absolutely right as usual. That did not mean he didn't wish that Lauren was however "his girl".

He liked her, obviously, but she knew for a fact because he had told her. Sadly, his feelings were rather conflicting about it. He liked her but he didn't believe he should actually be with her for many reasons. It was hard to keep those reasons and boundaries in place when it was just as obvious that she felt the same.

It was still strange to her. Lauren was unlike any other girl that Anderson had dated. In fact, she was timid and shy and those were personality traits that Anderson despised and found annoying. So, what was it about her that made it different?

A N D E R S O N
Anderson watched Lucas break out into a grin at the sight of his girlfriend. He couldn't help but roll his eyes at that too, though, it was a somewhat affectionate eyeroll. The blonde boy had not been in a huge spirit for the dance. Like Lauren, this would technically be his first school dance. Unlike Lauren, he hadn't been too excited for it. If Anders recalled correctly he has asked "is a limousine necessary". Claudia was his date and he was on duty from the school for pictures, so, that was probably the only reason he was going.

Of course, all if that negativity had disappeared on the spot as soon as his girlfriend was within his eye sight. Anders loved Lucas, he was a quiet loner one a upon a time a go and though he was still quiet, he was no longer alone. He had changed into someone happier and Anders hoped the same thing for Lauren. That she too could break out of that shell that was holding her back.

But for now ....

"You can keep all of your doting comments to yourself, Eden. Jenna, may not be my girl but she is my sister so she's also excluded." Anders said jokingly, though, he was an overprotective brother. He grinned at the girls, his eyes lingering at Lauren for the longest. It was no surprise to him how beautiful she was tonight, he was expecting and looking forward to it.

"You ladies look beyond amazing," He kissed his sister's cheek and flicked her forehead. After receiving a playful punch to the shoulder from his twin he approached Lauren and held his arm out for her. "Shall we, princess?"

l a u r e n
"Sure, sure," Lauren heard Eden mutter to Anders when he affirmed that she wasn't his girl. Lauren blushed again. Everyone seemed convinced that she and Anders were dating, and as much as she would have liked that to be true, it was not the truth. They were not a pair, no matter how much she might have wanted them to be.

But she pushed those thoughts out of her mind. She wanted to actually enjoy her night with Anders and not spend it sulking.

"Sure," she said softly to her date, taking his arm with her perfectly manicured hand -- Claudia had really dolled her up.

The six teens -- Claudia's brothers had already left -- made their way out to the limousine, which was another whole new experience for Lauren but not one that was unwelcomed. She climbed into the vehicle -- carefully, she didn't want to hurt herself further and her torso still ached from the events of the night before. Regardless, she sat down beside Anders and looked up at him with a smile.

"You look really nice," she said, since she knew that boys didn't really get many compliments when they got dressed up.

"Hey, Jen, maybe we should walk so the lovebirds can have a bit of privacy," Eden teased, gesturing to Claudia and Lucas and then to Anders and Lauren. Claudia rolled her eyes and Lauren blushed deeply.

A N D E R S O N
Anders, too, rolled his eyes at Eden's comment. And Lucas chuckled, clearly amused. The night would probably end with his little teasing jabs but he wasn't entirely annoyed with them. He supposed they all had reason to assume he and Lauren were a pair. However, they were not and that was a fact. He flipped off Eden, though, it wasn't a a serious gesture, there wasn't much effort put into it.

Jenna smirked knowingly, "We'll see you guys later then, have fun." She waved at the two pairs of lovers - or to be precise - the lovers and the soon to be couple.

Anderson stuck his tongue out at her and watched the two dateless dolts disappear. They were annoying. He loved them. But he focused his attention on his date, "All I did was throw on a tuxedo and combed my hair, I pale in comparison to you." He smirked because it was a fact. Obviously, he was the lucky one to have her as a date, that she had even agreed to with him.

l a u r e n
"Don't be ridiculous, you look great. You always do."

Lauren hadn't mean to say that. She flushed a bright, violent red, clearly embarrassed at her own words. They had just slipped out, and now she had made a fool of herself. Why had she said that? She was so stupid! She was about to attempt to apologise, but luckily, Claudia noticed that she was drowning and swooped in to save her before she made herself look even more idiotic.

Lauren managed to stay quiet and meek for the rest of the ride to school. Upon entering the gymnasium in which the dance was being held, Lauren was momentarily blown away. The place was so beautifully decorated, so lovely and wonderful, like an autumn paradise. Lauren loved it.

"Jenna did a really good job."

A N D E R S O N
Anders could have laughed, instead he beamed, truly flattered. It wasn't a compliment that he hadn't heard before but it was sincerely sweet coming from her. And it somehow meant a lot mire to him. He was more amused how quickly she became flustered before he even had a chance to react or respond.

Upon entering the gym where the dance was being held, he inhaled awe at the autumn wonderland they had stepped into. It was almost as if he was admiring one of his twin's paintings, she was always beyond magnificent when it came to arts and crafts of any sorts. It was her talent and passion. He couldn't help but feel a swell of pride.

"Yeah, she sure did,"
He smiled softly, glancing around the room crowded with students. He turned back to Lauren, still connected with her and asked. "What would you like to do first?"

l a u r e n

Anders seemed to have overlooked the embarrassing comment Lauren had made and she was glad, because she wanted to forget it had ever happened. She felt awkward, but she wanted to put the event behind her and move on so she didn't completely ruin the night that Jenna had tried to hard to perfect.

"Um ... maybe get a drink?" Lauren suggested. She was gripping Anders' upper arm with her hands tightly, scared of being separated from him in the compressing crowd they had stepped into. It seemed like every student in the school was in that one room, and it was a bit of a tight space, which Lauren didn't like.

She suggested getting a drink for four reasons. One, the area around the buffet table was less crowded than the rest of the room. Two, she could see Claudia, Lucas, Eden and Jenna standing there already. Three, she didn't feel comfortable dancing just yet and four, she was genuinely thirsty.

So, the unlikely pair made their way over to the others. Lauren happily accepted her glass of fruit punch from Eden, dropped Anderson's arm since she didn't want to seem clingy and smiled at Jenna.

"You did a really good job here," she complimented the girl.

"I'll say." It was an unfamiliar voice attached to a familiar face. Lauren looked up as Claudia's twin brother, Brogen, joined them beside the buffet table. He was a very attractive boy, sharing a lot of Claudia's good looks, though Lauren didn't really care. He wasn't Anders.

"Hey." Claudia handed her brother a glass of punch. They had the same closeness that Anders and Jenna did -- twin closeness, something Lauren, as an only child, greatly envied. "Where's your date?"

"I don't have a date." Brogen shrugged as if it was no big deal, before glancing around at the others. His blue eyes finally rested on Lauren. "Lauren, right?"

Lauren nodded tentatively.

"I'm Brogen." Lauren managed a semi-awkward smile. Brogen's eyes moved between her nice dress and her face. "You look lovely."

At that, Lauren blushed. Eden rolled his eyes as if it were all too much for him. "I can't handle this. Jen, you want to dance?"

Eden and Jenna went away, Claudia exchanged a loon with her brother and towed Lucas in the same direction. Brogen watched them go before picking up a chocolate dipped-strawberry and handing it to Lauren.

"Try these, they're really good." Lauren awkwardly accepted it, not knowing what else to do. Brogen glanced up at Anderson, determined that he and Lauren weren't a couple and asked the girl a question she really didn't want to be asked by anyone. "Hey, did you come with a date?"

A N D E R S O N
"Yes, she did and he's right here," Anderson raised his glass, making his presence very much known. He flashed a half second smile at Lightwood twin out of politeness because of who his sister was. Otherwise, he would have immediately stared down the blonde teen.

It hadn't even been ten minutes since they arrived and already someone was trying to steal him date. Anders was astonished almost much as he was annoyed. He deducted that the punch would not be enough of a drink tonight. Why had no one brought a bottle of vodka or something? It was common to do was it not?

He stared at the other boy, analyzing him from head to toe which was an way task to subtly do because he was clearly taller. He was good looking guy, it was surprising he hadn't come with a date of his own. That did not mean he would allow him to run off with his own, however.

Anders directed his line of vision to Lauren's hand. He hadn't thought offer her berry, did she like strawberries? He and his twin were allergic to the things.

"You didn't come with a group of people?" He raised an eyebrow at Brogen. It was better than frowning.

l a u r e n

Lauren was glad that Anderson stepped in because she knew she wouldn't have been able to say anything herself. She would have shrivelled up and died out of embarrassment. Though, she was still likely to do that -- Anders seemed very annoyed and Brogen seemed very insistent.

"Oh, okay," he said when learning that Lauren was there with Anderson. He gave the two a slightly critical look, as if to say 'really?' Lauren didn't blame him. They weren't a very likely couple.

"Yeah, I came with my friends but came over to see Claudia," Brogen further explained. He put his slender hands in his pockets and glanced around the room in search of his friends. Upon locating them, he waved to them and turned back to Lauren.

"We're going to an after party at Charlie Ryce's place if you want to come," he offered. As if Anders wasn't even there. Lauren couldn't let that continue, even if she was mortified.

"Um, no thanks," she murmured, setting the strawberry back down on the table and putting her hand back on Anders' arm, to reiterate that she was there with him.

"Okay. See you around, Lauren." And with that, Brogen left.

Lauren let out a breath she hadn't realised she'd been holding and put her free hand on her face for a moment. "I'm sorry," she murmured to Anderson.

A N D E R S O N
"Why are you apologizing?" Anders looked down at her, frowning scarcely, but it was there for certain. Admittedly, he was happy to see Claudia's twin brother, whom rarely acknowledged until today, leave them, but his obvious flirting with Anders date left a bad taste in his mouth. And Lauren was apologizing ... "What did you do wrong?"

He exhaled slowly and softened his expression along with his voice. "Lauren, please, don't apologize when you've done nothing wrong."

Anders hated it. He loathed it with everything he was. When people apologized when they were innocent, when they allowed others walk all over them, when they couldn't stand up for themselves, when they thought they were less than the really were. And he hated it even more when they sincerely believed they deserved the abuse that received.

It reminded of the years and people he would rather forget. He could never forget, he was plagued with nightmares alike his twin. And it would be an understatement to say it was painful.

He loosened his shirt collar and set down his punch, which was still practically full. "I need a breath of fresh air," He mumbled, and took her hand, leading them out. It wouldn't do to leave her alone.

l a u r e n

Anderson's words threw Lauren off a little, she couldn't deny that. And they posed some interesting questions. Why did she apologise when she had done nothing wrong? Well, she knew the answer -- she had been conditioned to.

In the Winter household, Lauren and Katrina apologised for everything, even if they had done nothing wrong. The neighbour's dog chewed up their newspaper? 'Sorry, I'll get up earlier to get it now.' The carpet got dirty? 'Sorry, I'll clean it up.' So, Lauren was used to apologising for things that weren't her fault, things she had no control over, because that was what her father expected.

But Anderson didn't expect that. He didn't expect Lauren to take responsibility for things that were out of her control -- he expected the opposite, in fact. Lauren's heart almost exploded with the knowledge that this beautiful human being beside her genuinely cared about her and it just confirmed to Lauren that she had completely and totally fallen for him. There was no one else for her -- Anders had stolen her heart.

They went outside to a small bench away from the building and sat down. Once they were seated, Lauren tightly wrapped her arms around Anderson's shoulders, holding him in a passionate embrace with her face tucked into his neck, as if she were hiding from the world. God, he smelled so amazing.

"Thank you," she whispered in a voice tight with tears. Her mouth was right beside his ear so she didn't need to worry about being inaudible like she usually did. "Thank you, for saying that. No one has ever said that to me before." No one had ever told her to not blame herself for everything -- the bruises on her waist, which were throbbing with pain but were being ignored, proved that.

A N D E R S O N
Anders was so shocked by Lauren's embrace, her closeness, her breath on his ear, her wet tears against his skin. The boy nearly jumped out of his seat, actually, he did jump out of his seat, but only after sitting still and stiff for at least fifteen seconds. He was shook from his thoughts, not from his feelings that piled up with more.

Once he hopped up, he paced back and forth, completely unable to stay seated yet alone still. He couldn't even if he wanted to and he did, but his body and mind wouldn't allow him to. The result of one of his many issues. He was all over the place, he couldn't focus on one single thing, jumping from one thing to another.

It was an overload and before he knew it he was acting and speaking without thinking at all.

"Don't thank me for that, I didn't say it to be nice or anything,"
True. He had said it because he despised it and he loathed it even more seeing her get stepped on all of the time.

He ran his fidgety fingers through his fine dark hair, "I don't like it, seeing you act that way and how you get treated in return. Remember what I told you back at my house how I thought you were amazing? I meant every bit of it."

He blinked his eyes once and stood on front of her. "I really like you, Lauren." The moment he salt it he knew he shouldn't have. Of course, it could have been interpreted in a platonic but not the way he had professed. The seriousness in his voice and eyes, there was no mistaking his feelings. It came from the heart.

He wished he had shut up because didn't deserve to be with her. He would never truly describe himself as as a "good guy". It was a fact that he would hurt her, he didn't know how or when, but he would. He was certain of it. And still, he was selfish wanting to be with her even if it only lasted a little while.

l a u r e n

Lauren jumped when Anderson moved so suddenly and she dropped her arms, folding her hands in her lap softly. She didn't know if she had done anything wrong and she didn't want to say anything to make it worse if she had, so she remained quiet, watching Anders as he paced and listening to his words as he spoke.

Then he said that last little sentence and her eyes widened, her jaw dropped. She couldn't believe it. She had to be dreaming. There was no way he had actually just said that.

But he had. He had said those words. Lauren closed her mouth and her eyes searched his face for any sign of trickery, any indication that he was lying. She found none, and instead found nothing but genuine feelings. He meant it. He really did like her.

"I ..." Lauren had no idea what to say in response to that. She had dreamed of Anders confessing those words to her but had never expected him to do so, so she had never prepared an answer for him. Now she was in the moment and she didn't know how to respond. She paused for a moment, before glancing up at the tall boy and letting her words escape her.

"I ... I really like you, too," she said quietly, her words genuine and truthful. "You're the first person who has ever cared about me, and that means so much to me. You're so kind and loving and amazing and beautiful and I'm never going to deserve you, I'm never going to do anything to warrant your feelings for me."

At some point during her little speech, Lauren's voice cracked and she wiped the tears off her cheeks with her thumb. Everything was coming into the open and she couldn't stop it now.

"You deserve someone better. You deserve someone who suits you and can give you what you need. I'll never be that person but you have no idea how fucking much I wish I could be. It's all I want."

A N D E R S O N
Anders stared blankly at Lauren, he was finally settling down. And her little speech ... He wished he could say it was beautiful, it wasn't, it was ridiculous. Did she seriously believed that? He wasn't even that a great of a guy. Anders wasn't a saint or a hero or some bigwig. No, he was just some teenage boy that had been fortune after spending a majority of his life being unfortunate. So, what was this supposed to be? A rejection?

With this in mind, he could have walked away. It was an escape from the situation at hand, but he did not want to walk away. He really wanted to start something new and with her. And he would absolutely not allow her to think that way about herself. That type of thinking was toxic and held her back from many things and it was down right false.

Anderson retook his seat beside her on the bench and sighed from the bottom of his chest. He turned to look at her and asked, "Lauren, did you not understand anything I said? I'll repeat myself, I think you're amazing and beautiful and talented. I really like you, I want to be with you." Anders didn't blink once.

He raised a hand a flicked her forehead lightly. "You are not allowed to determine what I deserve and need. Because I honestly don't deserve anything." His hand balled into a fist and rested unto his lap before unballing. "I'm just boy who likes you. You're just a girl who likes me. I want you and you want me." Not a talented boy, not a beautiful girl, stripping away all titles and attributes and leaving what mattered the most to them in that moment. It was simple and so easy.

"It's not complicated."
He leaned in and pressed his lips against hers softly, it was only a little more than a brush of the lips, like butterfly kisses. His kiss was brief, almost a quick peck. "So, will you go out with me or not?"