Writing Levels
  1. Give-No-Fucks
  2. Beginner
  3. Elementary
  4. Intermediate
Preferred Character Gender
  1. No Preferences
Genres
Fantasy and sci-fi are my areas of real expertise, but I'll write pretty much anything!
Oh boy, here we go; first post!! I wanna say right away that this is a *super* new idea so it's probably not explained as well as it could be, and I apologize for that! But hey, that's what discussion is for, right? I'm still not super sure how this site works so please forgive me if I've done something wrong or if this whole thing just looks Really Bad, haha! With that all out of the way though; buckle up folks, this is gonna be a long one!
This prompt draws inspiration from a fair few sources, RWBY, Arknights, and Counterside to name a few of the many, so if you know any of those, or even all of them, you know the kinda vibe I'm after! However, I'll still do my best to explain things, and any gaps that are left we can fill in ourselves!

So! That said; welcome to Solanis!

Solanis is a world much like, but also quite different to our own, it's populated by humans, there are cities, cell phones, TVs, everything you'd expect to find in our world, in addition to some more advanced technologies and sciences, as well as rural towns and villages that are *almost* fantastical; but still with some aspects of modernity, like power lines, cars/trucks, radios, etc., and life is typically fairly similar to how you and I spend our days!

Civilization on Solanis is made up of various city-states that are largely autonomous, though they do all answer to one central governmental body called the Global Administration, or GA, which functions somewhat akin to a beefier real-world UN; with smaller towns and villages and the like being generally unincorporated! City-states are typically surrounded by massive walls, and travel between them is largely done by air, for reasons we'll get to shortly!

However; things aren't perfect. One hundred years ago; The Cataclysm occurred, a catastrophic event that left Solanis dotted with inhospitable, barren wastelands. The cause of The Cataclysm is unknown to this day, but what is known is what it brought to Solanis: the Umbras.

Umbras are monsters that come in all sorts of shapes and sizes, but they are universal in their ravenous desire to kill anything and everything that isn't one of them, and they have the power to do it, too, spreading destruction and corruption everywhere they go; even one rampaging Umbra is a serious threat that is simply beyond the average Joe Schmo's ability to handle. The violent nature of the beasts is bad enough, and usually leaves affected areas with high casualty numbers, but the true danger of Umbra attacks is the corruption they leave behind, capable of infecting people and transforming them into even more Umbras.

Fortunately for the denizens of Solanis; there are solutions! Every government on Solanis, of course, has taken steps to deal with Umbras when and where they pop up, but there's only so much they can do against such persistent and powerful threats without spreading themselves too thin, hemorrhaging budgets, ; and that, as it often is, is where the private sector comes in.

USCs, Umbra Suppression Companies, are licensed paramilitary NGOs able to focus solely on the task of handling Umbra attacks, capable of operating without borders and without many of the other such resrictions that would otherwise hamper an official response. Horizon Inc. is one such company; one of the largest and most well-known, in fact.

Horizon has made a name for itself through its effective deployments, fast response times, fair pay, the advancements it's made in numerous fields, and, of course, the Touched.

These exceptional people are among the rare few who have survived an Umbra attack and been 'touched' by Umbra contamination, but rather than transform into an Umbra as so many others do, they instead develop superhuman abilities and powers. Most Touched are prevented from transforming through timely intervention and treatment via advanced medical sciences. Though many companies now have access to such technology and treatment, it was Horizon who first developed them, thereby "creating" the Touched as a whole.

They are, of course, not employed solely by Horizon, and not all Touched are employed by USCs at all, with many electing to simply do their best to continue living as normal a life as possible. Though many Touched have similar abilities, no two have powers that are exactly alike, and the actual strength of the Touched's powers varies greatly from individual to individual, and typically depend on the abilities of the Umbra that contaminated them.

Many Touched, though not all, also experience some degree of physical mutation, with these also varying, and typically depending on the anatomy of the Umbra they were contaminated by.
Public reception of the Touched is generally mixed and complex, with some people thinking of them like heroes, others treating them skeptically, never being quite able to get past their connection to the Umbras, and others still discriminating against them outright.
Some city-states even require Touched to be registered and report to medical centers regularly for testing and observation, or forcing them to live in dedicated districts; though these are in the vast minority.

And that's all the worldbuilding I've got, currently! A lot of reading there, eh? But I appreciate you sticking around until now, if indeed you have! We're nearing the end, I promise! But before we get there; we get to talk about the fun stuff! Characters!!

I will, of course, primarily be playing the role of DM, and will be playing the world around your character at large, but fear not, I do have an (intended) primary muse, who *should* be linked here, if I've figured out the site well enough to do that, but if you don't end up fond of them or just lose interest in interacting with them at some point during the thread, then don't worry! There will be *plenty* of other characters for you to interact with, so if it should happen that you take a shine to any other character that shows up during the RP and you'd rather focus on them instead, or if you'd just fully rather I propose a different character right off the bat, then please don't hesitate to let me know, and we can definitely work something out!

But, speaking of characters, who is yours? Well, that's up to you! Are they one of the Touched, going on missions and fighting monsters? A non-powered Horizon operative? The CEO of Horizon itself? Another doctor in the Medical Branch? Another branch director? Someone who's just become one of the Touched? A simple assistant? Do they own/work for a completely different company? Oversee a city-state? Do they work for the GA? The sky's the limit!!

Feel free to make up your own city-states or towns, my world is practically your oyster! The only caveats are that your character must be recognizably human (though if they're Touched, they can have non-human traits, like horns or sharp teeth or scales or tails and whatnot!), and if they're Touched, they are restricted to one power, which can't be god-level OP, for balancing reasons! Otherwise; go nuts!

Romance is not required, but it is on the table, though I prefer not to do M/M ships, sorry! Gay male characters are absolutely welcome here for platonic content, though! I take all comers! Explicit sexual content is also firmly off the table; sorry folks! It's just not something I do!

And with that, at last, we have reached the end of this prompt! Kudos to you if you made it this far, and hopefully this has caught your interest! If so, please do come on in, say hello, and let's plan something out! I'm happy to write up a starter for us once we've gotten something discussed!!