ғ ᴇ ᴀ ʀ ʟ ᴇ s s - ᴀ ᴅʏsᴛᴏᴘɪᴀɴ ᴀᴄᴛɪᴏɴ ᴀᴅᴠᴇɴᴛᴜʀᴇ 「ɪɴ ᴄʜᴀʀᴀᴄᴛᴇʀ」

Status
Not open for further replies.
64dGx3a.jpg
He…had missed? She…had dodged?

No, she hadn't even dodged. The Paladin had blocked an unblockable attack and even used it to escape further attacks. Perhaps they had 'won' by finally being able to drive the APC and escape, but at the same time, the Paladin was still alive, unharmed. The white devil had survived multiple angles of attack, negated his death-dealing blow, and even survived a full-on strike from Titan, who had arrived just in time to support their retreat. And even with all the explosive firepower that Tinker pulled out from his walking armory, somehow, Arata was certain that the Paladin, Elayna von Emmeria, would survive.

It shook him to the core, even as the scene of the battle fell further and further away, and his grip remained on his sword, eyes wide open.

Riding on top of the APC, for being inside was akin to being within a metal coffin, Arata's inkstone eyes flickered about obsessively, catching any detail he could about his surroundings. Abandoned cars, smoke rising from the battlegrounds they were just at, and, above all, the complete lack of civilians on the streets nearby. The message must have gotten out. The evacuation must have began, so that CLERICs could operate without thinking about bystanders getting in the way.

How much longer until this ride ended? How much longer until he was 'home'?

The blood that drenched him was drying, turning into dark red flakes that itched on his skin, but still Arata kept his eyes trained on his surroundings, his hands grasping the handle of the Weapon of Massacre. Something was going to kill him if he relaxed. He didn't know what, but the unknown fate that could befall them simply made it all the more frightening. In the back of his mind, a nebulous fear seized his imagination, an unseen grim reaper caressing his pounding heart with its lifeless hand.

The stains darkened further, as his clenched hands shook.

KILL! KILL! KILL!

Rubel_Banner_1.jpg

*SNAP!* The sound of splintering wood was tossed into a symphony of destruction as shattering glass and fracturing concrete chimed to the rev of the APCs diesel engine. Plowing a straight path through an office building just off the side of the street, it was in a desperate flight for safety as the air around it seemed to spontaneously explode. As holes were ripped into the adjacent walls the furniture that wasn't crushed under the APC's tires was torn to bits and in some places thrown into the air.

Flipping a table out of its path the metal box continued true to its course and exited the back wall with a loud *SMASH* Scattering debris to litter the small back alley behind it before plowing into the next one across from it. Thankfully, there was no one occupying it and the metal behemoth steam rolled through its second lounge area before coming out onto a main street glazed in rubble.

"Hahahaha" Adrenaline charged laughter began to escape Rubel's lips as he sat up and looked behind him. "You two all right?"

The combined efforts of his drones and Ansgar's arrows seemed to insure that Sarge would live see another bullet wound as events encapsulating the forward APC played out further. With a surprise flash bang and assault from Squad One's hidden ace LIONHEART, it began to look like they'd wiggle their way out of the Paladin's choke hold. Regaining his usual soft smile Rubel watched a white bearded silhouette inch toward his sitting APC.

"Just drive...I'm going to start using the med kit to patch myself up."
"You got it Sarge. Just try to stay in one piece, I don't have any tape to put you back together."

Receiving a grunted laugh for his remark, the weathered veteran began to patch himself up with the supplies on board. Starting the APCs Engine Rubel was ready to move as soon as things settled ahead of them. Taking to his drones in the meantime he went about re-positioning them during the chaos. The one nearest to them was to move across the street while the drone at the intersection was to back off a few blocks and scout ahead.

Having time to notice that one of his drones at Squad Two's parking lot had been downed he gave a puzzled look before his attention was averted.

"Little Brother...Rubel...shove me if you need me to fire. I must rest, I've taken my share of bullets, and just about everyone else's share today."

"I will." Rubel assured with a smile. And you'd look out of place without the holes. he added jokingly. "If things go to plan we won't need it so take a breather."

Looking at the man's body his words were no exaggeration. He was pale inside the dim lit APC and dried blood stuck to his skin was flaking off as he dragged his body through the motions. The stench of Iron even managed to win out over the fatigued and adrenaline saturated sweat pouring from his body.

Squad One should be fine without us. Rubel considered as Sarge got settled in.

"Take us home Brother...take me to the only home I have left. I have so much to do once we return..." Sarge said softly, as he reached a hand out to pat the younger soldier on the shoulder.

The hand managed to surprise Rubel, not because he wasn't expecting it but because of how it felt. Weak. The usual vise-like grip was gone and in its place a cold clamp tugged at the fabric of his shoulder. Despite the extra layers Rubel felt Sarge's hand as it was seeking out any and all warmth from his shoulder to his collarbone. Sending a chill down his spine it was as if Death were there to greet him instead of the man beside him.

"Also nice pellets...paladin was wearing pink, and flowery lingerie under that bodysuit. At least you gave a man, that was set to die at that instance, a good thing to see before being killed."

Hiding his concern Rubel chose to joke along. "Heh, you managed to see that huh?. Well you have Razor to thank too. And hey, if you enjoyed that I've got a gift for you when we return to base."

"Package on the way...I'm separated, but with Rubel. Have a blood transfusion ready when I get back...and tell Foxtrot to leave my fucking gun with the nurses."

With that Sarge's radio bounced off the ramp door and spun in the floor before a familiar buzz signaled the ramp to begin lowering. Turning around Rubel reached behind his CLERIC chest plate for a grenade when the familiar color of raven hair showed through the cracks in the back. Releasing his fingers on the pin he tucked it back into his underclothes and turned back around.

"Nice ride."

"Thanks, it's new. Came with free tires and everything." Wait. If she's here who's driving? Waving the thought aside, Rubel hopped out of the drivers seat to help move the Sarge as Backdrop took over manning the cannon. Placing him behind the driver's seat he returned to watch the first APC beginning to drive off. Must be Corvus's lucky day.

"Rubel, let's book it. If we could pick up RAZOR and LIONHEART, that'd be a nice bonus."

"I'm charging them extra. Might as well start a taxi service with this thing." Looking to Sarge for a moment as he struggled for breath, Rubel turned around to face the wheel, his eyes instinctively locking onto the metal figure of Magna down the street as his weapons primed.

Rubel acted without verbal warning as there wouldn't be enough time for such luxury. With sense of time slowing he twisted around in the driver's seat to face the heavily battered Sarge. Leaping toward him he aimed a strong right at the man's shoulder and thrust his whole body weight forward, putting in half of his strength. Taking into account injuries, he figured it'd be enough to get him out of the way before time ran out. Feeling the weight at the end of his arm budge and tumble over, he didn't bother looking up as he fell in between the intersection of the driving cabin and the back of the APC.

In his peripheral he could tell that Backdrop had seen what he had and made for the ground at about the same time. Right as she hit the floor the cabin around them lite up. The sound of the auto cannon fire down the street reached them only after the front viewing glass had been shattered and the pang of metal vs metal erupted into a deafening roar. By that point it was barely audible as bullet shrapnel began to ricochet above them and Sarge cursed his luck.

Entering a gale of supersonic lead the APC lurched forward before making a sharp right. Summoning courage to handle the steering wheel with his left arm. From the relative safety of the cabin floor Rubel looked to his drone monitor for direction. With his foot to the floor the tin can managed enough speed to pop the front wheels up and over the curve, causing Tinker's buzz saw to creep closer to the bottom. Making a shorter ascent with its hind wheels Rubel directed it in the quickest route away from the firing cone and hoped for the best.

Last edited:
pIPv0Ik.jpg

Things were going from bad to worse pretty quickly. First, not only did the enemy breach the walls, they were also descending from above, locking the entire squad in a vice-like grip. The snipers managed to survive, but were a little pinned down and they would have to make it through the entire building. Second, their position was crumbling. There was no way this many soldiers could hold out against such a vicious assault. Third, Empress was being an asshole again. She just loved to string Ade on for hours without an end, telling them to hold out and not press the explosives until her picture perfect plan just came together at the right moment and they could seize the APCs. Even more annoyingly, it bloody worked! With one fel swoop, the plan succeeded and second squad had an entire vehicle for itself.

It was too bad that Empress had to fuck up whatever respect she managed to earn with Ade by leaving Auratta to die.

That shut up Ade before the somewhat crazy chemist had the slightest chance to fire some sort of vaguely complimentary insult towards Karin, because anything that came out of Ade's mouth was going to be a stream of curses meant to eviscerate the soul. As such, Faceless preferred to stay silent even as Erja berated the cold-hearted bitch, because the power of dissent was greater than one could imagine. Worries tended to spread between people like wildfire when given enough fuel, as Ade's ODIN training had covered. That, and they were not sure that they could even form coherent words because of the shock. Sure, they had seen plenty of people with worse fates, but Karin leading a member of the team to die like that? That was something beyond Ade up until now.

As such, stifling silence filled the APC's interior while what remained of the second squad weaved its way through the battlefield. There was a lot of tension in the air, mostly from the side of Ade who was content to glower at the metallic floor beneath their shoes. There was no way they could excuse Karin's actions. Auratta may have been a frigid bitch who had no idea how to have fun, but one did not intentionally kill team-mates damnit! Or at least if they did, they made the rules and expectations clear before something like that happened. This was just heartless. It wa-

Suddenly, the world of Ade turned upside-down and Faceless found themselves being thrown around inside the APC. First forward, then to the side, then a weird direction, then another weird and then with a painful thud. The whole world around them went black, colours disappearing in a sea of unconsciousness. Their body continued to be at the mercy of momentum and gravity as the vehicle kept on turning and rolling before it eventually ground to a halt, not that the chemist noticed any of that. Their unconscious form just lay there, at the mercy of both the Praetorian and then Erja.

But eventually, motes of consciousness started to make their way back to Ade's mind. At first, a painful throbbing in their right forearm. Then the mightiest desire to vomit they had ever felt as the world seemed to spin around them without regard for the laws of nature. Fortunately, they managed to avoid voiding their stomach into their helmet, but they felt like they had just been inside a washing machine for too long, which was honestly not too far from the truth.

"Aaaah... Ehjah? Shone kold betch..." slurred Ade as they raised their eyes and managed to identify the vague shape as one of their team-mates. "Whaz... happen?" Somewhere, deep down, Faceless felt like a retard for speaking like this, but their headache along with the massive bruise that happened to be their entire body did not care. They did not even have the capacity to notice a NOAH and a Praetorian fighting a couple of metres away.​

FmumlOe.jpg

As awesome as riding on the bike felt - it could satisfy the Witch only that much. And while she was glad to not even have to use her own feet to get anywhere, as she was nearing a point of too much exhaustion thanks to obliterating an entire base before, she actually started to get annoyed.

"Why do you run?" The Chaos Witch murmured to herself. "We can kill her." She continued, suddenly bursting out. "Why the fuck are we retreating?!" This time, she talked over the small ear-piece she had to wear. "The mission isn't over yet!" Aresia continued louder; not even caring about the small comedy relief with the fire hydrant that happened earlier. "We're not done yet! I AM not done yet!" Just... leaving like that felt so wrong. So not good. So false. Somehow, it made the Chaos Witch really, really angry, not able to calm down.

"The human pig is still alive!" She tried to bring in a bit more solid reason. "If we leave her now, she will just return stronger. Let's kill her! Let's kill her all!" Now, Aresia tightened her grip on the wet Tia. "Sweetie, how much heat do you think you, and your bike, can take?"

have a shitty post

gmTFu7C.png

1 9 3 0

-----
x7HMIRf.png

Yul5rZ6.png

As the first APC carrying FOX, Goblin, Naomi and Corvus began to pickup speed, FOXTROT eyed the situation from afar. He had seen the rest of Squad Three split into another APC, the vehicle kicking into motion shortly behind. While at first glance it may have seemed like they were leaving their allies behind, FOX knew that they were in good hands with Tinker and his ED-100 providing backup for the second vehicle.

Tinker's intense firepower seemed to deter the Paladin from advancing any further, giving both APCs ample time to flee from the battlefield. "Alright! We're out, pull out of there, Tinker!" FOX shouted over the radio as the APCs seemed to pick up speed. As the APCs sped past several CLERIC patrol vehicles, FOXTROT had quickly noticed that the Ecclesians had completely ceased attempting to pursue the convoy. Perhaps they were afraid of the giant mech following them? He discarded his curiosity as nothing more than a streak of luck.

With a heavy sigh, FOXTROT sat himself down atop the APC as it rolled down the highway, which was finally cleared of the rush hour traffic that was built up many hours before. As the APCs sped away from the battlefield, FOX noticed Naomi turn towards him, a solemn smile stretched across her face. Like many other NOAHs, FOX felt he shared a reasonably comfortable relationship with Naomi, even though they didn't have the opportunity to talk much.

"Glad to see you're in one piece"

"One piece? I'm not so sure about that."

FOX leaned backwards, sprawling himself out atop the moving armored vehicle. He remained silent for a few moments, content to stare at the stars which watched them from above. "Naomi." FOX began finally, his voice low but still audible through the wind which passed between them. "Have you ever lost somebody that you cared about?" He took a deep breath before continuing, "Have you ever watched them die in your arms?" FOX frowned, his empty, blue gaze glancing towards the NOAH. "I think the worst part about losing a loved one isn't having to watch them die..."

"...it's lying to them... and yourself, that everything is going to be alright.

the last thing that they have to hear is your bullshit before they die."

----

lC3Nd8p.png

(Several Minutes Earlier)

"YOU PEASANTS! I'LL KILL YOU ALL, I SWE--"

The barrage of incoming fire from Tinker and the remainder of Squad Three caused Elayna to pause, gritting her teeth from behind the safety of her shield before advancing. When the oncoming fire had finally ceased, the second APC was already beginning to roll away, and that stupid mech was already walking away as if she was not worth their time. "HEY! GET BACK HERE!" Elayna ran down the street after them, only to be stopped by several familiar figures.

"Lady Elayna. You are to stop pursuit of the enemy." One of the men began. The man was Paladin Adam, one of Elayna's superiors and the Princess' right hand man. The remainder of the figures were each Paladins, though it seemed that they had all been watching the situation unfold from afar.

Elayna growled, "Why not?! My orders are to wipe out those peasant filth! Can you believe they dare shoot at someone of my stature? Unbelievable! Let me at them!" She attempted to walk past Paladin Adam, only to be grabbed by the back of her hair.

"These orders come from Princess Aurora herself. You would do well to listen." Adam remarked plainly. It was clear that he was no stranger to Elayna's childhood antics. If she was not a noblewoman herself, perhaps Adam would be more inclined to slap some discipline into her.

"But... but... THEY TOOK OUR PRISONER." Elayna frowned, stomping her foot into the ground.

Paladin Adam's face lacked any semblance of concern, instead, a smile creasing between his lips.

"We know."

LJqHclF.png

yTEYct7.png

"Revenge is no good if you're dead! Be careful of her! She can see through walls and fires some sort of energy! We've lost too many of yours today.."

Valkyrie did not know who was speaking to her, but any advice was welcome at this point. "Got it, thanks!" Valkyrie shouted back as she charged towards her opponent, sword in hand. She knew little about her opponent, only that this must have been the one who had killed ECHO, according to the description given to her by Gillian. Rushing towards the Praetorian, she lunged outwards with her sword, only to find her opponent disappearing before the blade could make contact with flesh.

"Wha... Behind?!" Before Valkyrie could realize what was happening, the raven hair women had appeared behind her, weapon raised and ready to fire at the back of Valkyrie's head. She was fast - way faster than Valkyrie. But how was this possible? There was no time to dodge, no time to think. It seemed like in a single move... before the game had already started... it was already...

"Checkmate." The Praetorian grinned as she pulled the trigger.

A streak of light charged towards Valkyrie. It seemed as if the fight was over, when the shot was suddenly deflected by a floating sword. A look of shock crossed the Praetorian's face as she realized her attack had failed. "You thought I would be that easy?!" Valkyrie gracefully spun about, catching the Praetorian off guard as she lashed out with her sword, missing the assassin by mere inches.

Dodging the attack, the Praetorian paused, stepping out of range of Valkyrie's attacks, "I see. Your swords are sentient." The assassin noted, not willing to make the same mistake twice. "If you think that will save you, you're mistaken. I will have you on the ground, one way or the other."

Ashlynn's swords hovered behind her, poised to attack on command. "Yeah? That won't stop me from biting at your ankles!" She shouted, swinging her blade at the Praetorian. In the next few moments, the duel escalated into a confusing mess, with Valkyrie running around in circles attempting to land a blow on the Praetorian, who was in turn having a difficult time getting past Valkyrie's defenses. It would seem that in this current fight, that the NOAH was evenly matched against the Praetorian.

"Awh, what's wrong? Not as easy as you thought?" Ashlynn smirked as Ragnarok deflected another attack from her opponent. Little did they know that both parties were just getting started. "Maybe next time you should pick on somebody your own size!"

Last edited:
GVTuY41.jpg

Tensing up a little as Aresia squeezed her from behind, the Chaos Witch's words seemed to be making Tia twitchy. Running away wasn't something she was entirely against - especially if there was a tactical advantage - but... in a way, Aresia wasn't wrong. Tia wanted to finish what they'd started. To see that PALADIN dead on the ground so she could 'avenge' Netrunner. But if she was always looking for vengeance, what would she become? Just a husk, hellbent on killing everyone that crossed her without thinking about the 'mission'? No... Tia couldn't go back and make such a decision. It would go against everything Mike had taught her to act as a human being.

Sighing, Tia tilted her head back to her NOAH comrade, speaking seriously despite her earlier mishap.
"Heat? No... sorry, Witchy..." Tia tried speaking from her head, for once, regardless of how it might annoy her friend. "Knowing that paladin tart is still breathing doesn't rub me the right way, either, but killing her will take more time than it's worth at this point. How long would it be until backup arrives? Until we're fighting the fourteenth and thirteenth in line simultaneously as well?" Tia shook her head, the stern winds drying off her hair and whistling through the circular bullet hole in her nose. "Besides, this APC needs me right now. If it wasn't for that... maybe I would try something. But rest assured, I don't think we've seen the last of her. We'll have our chance."

With that, Tia continued to drive effortlessly through the urban jungle - mostly in chaos due to the news of a rebel attack - leading the APC through the sneakiest nooks and crannies she could muster - and the vehicle could fit through - to ensure the thing wasn't followed. It had been hard talking to Aresia in that tone, and she was no doubt going to get a hard time for it, but in a way, Tia liked to think she taught the Chaos Witch things and helped her grow as a person, from time to time. They were alike, but at the same time, so different.

Looking behind her to check everything was okay, she suddenly noticed FOXTROT talking to Naomi about something, with some sort of... look, in his eye. A look of sadness, and loss, that was all too familiar within FEARLESS. She couldn't hear a word of what he was saying over the engines, distance, and rushing winds... hopefully though, the situation wasn't too bad.

She offered some sort of smile to the RONIN, before turning back and focusing on the road. They weren't out of the woods just yet, and people were missing from the group, though she wasn't too concerned because of the second APC's escape. Still, she cared deeply for everyone in that other APC, so they'd better get out alive. God knew what Razor was doing; probably still waving his sword around expecting a fight.

Heavily leaning to one side, her knee almost scraping against the ground, Tia radioed a certain someone to confirm her concerns as she took the APC through a shortcut.

"This is Tia to Empress. How's your situation lo..." Tia's voice trailed off in a grim realization. No response other than static. She bit the inside of her lip, shaking her head slowly, before switching channels.

"This is Tia to Godfather. The package has almost arrived to the target destination; looks like we've shaken off any trace of enemy forces. ...Over."

Last edited by a moderator:
P6BEGZY.jpg
With the chaos of the entire situation having finally died down, Sarge began to rest properly. Mostly fading in and out of consciousness, and unconsciousness. The old man gave a sigh as he sat in his seat, watching the two younger, unwounded FEARLESS members. He fixed some of his bandages, but most of the bleeding was starting to slow thanks to clotting. He would live...barely. Not that he seemed to mind the implication. However one thing didn't cease to bother him, why did they stop pursuing FEARLESS?

This entire thing seemed odd, they were certainly deadly, but a few Paladins and a couple squadrons of clerics would have little to no problem wiping out the entirety of the base in a few hours. Yet Sarge was only a foot soldier, so many things stayed unexplained to his mind. Andre got up while the vehicle was moving to pick up his radio, before he started to tune it to a different channel than command. He wanted to make sure that he wasn't forgotten as dead, and he had a word personally for Foxtrot.

"Foxtrot...I hate to bug you, since I'm sure talking to a dead man isn't much fun." Andre said over the radio, hoping that the soldier was listening. Even if he wasn't, someone would relay it, "But next time you let me go off my own. Give me my gun back. Also while you're there, reload the thing, I want it to slip back on my belt when I get home." The old man joked, before setting the radio down, he wasn't in the mood for call outs, or tactical phrases. He was tired, and still in pain. Granted he found a few pills in the medkit, and had taken a fair helping of the painkillers. Before setting them back in the spot they belonged. Morphine, and pills, perhaps a bit too much. But considering his weight, and height, it wasn't too rough.

Then Andre looked to the two soldiers, or SERAPH in this case up front. "No hand holding, or kissing up there. Or I'll break your arm Rubel." The old man teased with a laugh of his own. After all, he had to have some fun. Whether or not the two SERAPH's were interested in one another, wasn't really of much care to Andre. It was just his own chance to laugh, he did look something like a father chaperoning a date. The only difference being, he was covered in blood, bandages, and scars both old and new. Oh well, they always said fathers with pretty daughters killed people. Andre was considered something of a father figure to quite a few people in FEARLESS, especially certain NOAH. "Proud of you both though. You both accomplished a lot. Turned into quite fine soldiers. Granted, Juniper, you were a soldier to begin with, but the change of scenery seems to have barely phased you."

33bguuu.png

~"Take a deep breath, it's the only one you're gonna get for a while"~

The giant armored fists dissipated into specks of teal light as the APC gathered enough distance between them and the Paladin, enabling Naomi to exhale a breath as her body began to purge itself of adrenaline. She eased herself back after Foxtrot sprawled himself out on the back of the APC, leaning herself against the turret as she folded her arms, listening as he spoke.

Her eyes flitted between the passing buildings, the teal irises losing themselves within the twisted shadows cast from the light which punctured the urban jungle that made the world which surrounded them. From the periphery of her sight she could tell he was watching her, waiting for a response to his sentimentality revolving the subject of death. Naomi took another steadying breath.

"I suppose this is the part where I recount some story from my past, where I lost someone close and had to endure loss" she began, her head finally turning slightly to face him as the wind continued to blow through her hair. "Well truth is I haven't, or at least.. I haven't yet" she replied, taking a pause to gather her thoughts before she once again looked towards the passing shapes that made buildings.

"You know, when they 'enhanced' me they put in place various methods to ensure I'd be difficult to put down in a fight, or in battle. I'm not just talking about the upgraded durability... or the ability to shake off a bullet like I'd just been tagged with a paintball gun" she looked down at one of her hands as she spoke, eyeing them almost as if she were scrutinizing someones work, her brow furrowing.

"Being able to regenerate wounds and hits that should otherwise kill me does more than just make me a problem for opponents... it ensures I remain a problem over a long period of time" she looked back to Foxtrot as she continued, "Because of this It is almost certain that even if we win this war, even if we somehow managed to win it tomorrow, I'd still live to see all of you die" Naomi gave a short sigh.

"What I'm trying to say Fox, is that Id be grateful if there was someone to hold me, lie to me and tell me a load of bullshit when my curtain closes" Naomi once again looked away, this time looking upwards to see the stars for herself. She hoped what she had to offer at least put things into perspective for him. Losing someone was never something that got easier with time, but he nor anyone should question their last moment with someone they truly cared for.

Naomi stood up from her position and turned to look ahead toward where they'd been heading since leaving the Paladin behind them. From what her neural enhancement was telling her, they were close now, though it seemed Tia had it more than covered as she lead them onward. 'Not much further now' she thought to herself before once again turning to look behind them, trying to see if the second APC had caught up yet.

NHP4Ihq.png
"Ankle, huh? Well, not the worst thing to leave a blown to hell APC with..." Glancing at the scarred woman's ankle, the masked man turned to the androgynous survivor to check up on them. They were either out cold or too delirious from the crash to look alive. Probably had a concussion, if they were lucky.

Turning back to the hooded sniper, she was counting what ammunition she had left. "I hope you're not planning to stick around and try to help. I stitch people up. I'm not gonna charge headfirst into a life hacker that can teleport," He warned. Jake wasn't stupid enough to try to fight a battle he knew they couldn't win. Sure, Valkyrie had a fighting chance, but then again she had similar bullshit going for her as the Praetorian. What did he have? A gun. Considering they didn't even know the limitations of the Ecclesian, unloading on her and hoping it would help was foolish.

Thankfully, it didn't seem as though the sniper was that suicidal. "Yeah, yeah. Lean. I'll drag the... it. Once we're at a distance, I'll check for any major injuries that need to be addressed... As for Val..." Glancing back, the Noah and Praetor seemed rather evenly-matched, for now anyway. "Val's tough. I'm not going to jump the gun and say confidently that she'll win, but with us sticking around here, she's definitely not going to run... Always trying to play a hero."

Grabbing the androgynous survivor by the back of their jacket, Jake helps the sniper up and leaning against him. Though just as they begin on their way, the one called Faceless seems to stir. "Oh, it's awake... and can't talk for shit." Not pausing from the drag, Jake seems to just go along with it. It was an easy guess that they had a concussion. Probably wouldn't get their head on straight for a while. Hell, it's possible that they could end up forgetting the past week. "Short version... you got fucked. You're APC and anyone else that was in it got extra fucked."

Then there was the matter of escape route. "Sewer's as good a place as any I guess..."

Reactions: Astros
3LNLGRa.jpg

Ansgar didn't have much time to act, considering the sheer volume of fire slowly petering off. If it wasn't for the sound of arriving reinforcements in the form of more Paladins, he might have gone after the damn palabitch. However, with the rolling withdraw of the allied forces, though he used that term rather loosely at the moment due to the fact he had only just stopped being suppressed by the jackass NOAH with his walking tank, toy, whatever in the nine hells the daft son of a bitch decided to call it. Was he confident in his abilities to take on one Paladin? Sure, especially with the volume of fire and how stupid bloody ANGRY the dumb bitch was. However, with calmer, cooler heads arriving, it was high time for him to get the hell out of dodge. Sure, not fearing death is one thing, but straight up suicide without accomplishing anything? To hell with that. He had better things to do than die without accomplishing anything at all. Being FEARLESS was one thing, getting nothing done while being FEARLESS? That was another completely. From his position on the ground, seeing the APC's tear away, he spotted something he had missed before. Open manhole cover. Brilliant, he needed to lay low anyways, might as well head back for calmer waters, as they say.

The moment the smoke and debris was covering his passage the best, he bolted, running low and fast, sword retracting into the hilt and being put into one of his pockets. Hands free for now, would be better than trying to get down a ladder with things in hand. It was a pain in the ass at times. Reaching the manhole cover, he slid down the ladder, not bothering to try and find the cover to seal himself in. Reaching the bottom, he bolted from the open cover, heading down into the darkness before pausing, crouched, as his eyes adjusted to the dim, flickering service lights that dotted the lines. This section saw some use, the flowing water and smell clear indicators, but it wasn't too bad. Producing his knife, which would serve him better down here anyways, he started moving once sight adjusted properly. Dim, dark, and the sound of running water and feint, distant machinery masked his presence completely. This was a natural environment, someplace he could conceal his presence and move with impunity. Most Clerics wouldn't dare come down here anyways, and a Paladin wouldn't be able to fit their damned shields down here. Would be mighty useful, really, if he could bait one into falling down here. Could make short work of them in that kind of ambush work.​

Erja Liikanen - Team 2
jnTmPYw.jpg

pIPv0Ik.jpg

"Yeah, it could be worse.. Thanks for the professional opinion.." Rolling her eyes some, what came next left the Sniper a bit disturbed, with a sigh she nods. "I want to help your friend, but I know a head on fight will get us killed.. If I had the jump on the bitch I might attempt it, but with her being aware?" Leaning against the medic, Erja shakes her head again.

"No, I'll help you drag her, we both need a free gun hand." Glaring at the medic's later outbursts, Erja sighs, shaking her head, and making her own attempt to explain the situation, Erja looks back at the target they were combat dragging. Arching her brow slightly, so it seems Faceless would live afterall.

"Hmm..who are you calling a bitch.." Glaring at the, well whatever they were, Erja decides to go over the situation as they leave the area.

"Some sort of freaky Noah or Paladin with more powers than the average got the drop on us, flipped the APC with some sort of energy blast, you got banged up, Karin got stabbed to death, My right ankle is sprained or broken, and this here Birdman is on our side..A Noah I seen at the bar a few times is trying to take her on, but honestly I don't think she has a shot." Laying everything out a long pause follows with a bit of awkwardness.

"She's the one that killed Ire, and all of team two minus me and you, I want to help that girl, but we aren't in any condition to fight that monster."

~~~

"Bweh..." Faceless did not sound like they had understood anything of that. The entire world was a confusing mess right now thanks to the severe blow that Ade had been dealt. The words seemed to come through to the chemist as if put into some sort of scrambling machine that added weird noises to them, making it difficult to think or focus their eyes at the moment. The spectacle of a fight nearby did not help, but at least they had gotten an update to the situation at hand and already, some part of their brain was working on the possibilities. They just needed to be able to think coherently. "Gif me... thirsty seconds." At least the slurring was not as bad now and slowly, the situation was crystallizing. "Whaz... Enemy?"

~~~

"What Enemy? I got a good look at her when she was trying to stab me with her knife while you were napping." Thinking on how to explain the situation as they reach the end of the street, it seemed those two were going at it and darkness was quickly falling. "She has the same eyes as Ire, maybe even better, she can..vanish.. the energy attack, least I believe that's her.. Anyways she's a psychotic bitch.. choosing to fight.. Valkryie in hand to hand, hell if I know why."

~~~

The words were much clearer now. As bad as the fog had been, Ade was always the one who usually got back into the situation the quickest and though they were injured, the familiar pathways of thought inevitably wormed their way into the chemist's head. The heavy fog that they had been feeling up until now was subsiding, replaced with logic and formulae, which... "Eyes," Ade ended up saying. "Ire's eyes. We... what do we have?" Take everything into account first. That was the first step to formulating a plan as always. It would also help to clear Faceless' head, which was starting to notice their peculiar predicament of being dragged along the street.

~~~

Pausing for a bit Erja considers the request, was she seriously wanting to take that monster on? She wanted to help the girl though.. "Well, can you walk? As it stands we can't fight her..she's aware of us. I have my SVD, scope optics are broke, two magazines, the birdman over there has a medic kit, and whatever you didn't lose when the APC took a tumble." Outlining the items they had on hand, Erja suddenly remembers the radio's. "Oh yeah also radio's I think I'll call us in..well later."

~~~
Right, that was very little, especially for killing someone who sounded like an insane NOAH from the enemy with all the training and equipment that VALHALLA could give to them. Valkyrie was holding the line for now, but it would not be long before reinforcements arrived. They needed some sort of stalemate-breaker and within seconds, Ade had it. "Can we go back to the APC? I need magnesium and phosphor." Their cases should have been tough enough to survive the tumble. Even if Faceless was still feeling as if they were walking amongst the clouds, their wit was still quite sharp. "I... I'll also need... bullets, your scope and maybe an empty magazine clip. Can't stand up yet, legs feel like... shit jelly, to be honest." As undignified as it was to be dragged around, Ade did not want to stumble over their own legs.

~~~

"Go back? Are you nuts?.. You can't walk, I'm limping, birdman over there would refuse.." Considering her request some of these items could be gotten. "Magnesium, the medic should have a bit, Phosphorous hmm.." Thinking on that one, Erja's eyes widen a little, as if struck with a good idea. "We can get a weaker compound by scrapping off some of the glow in dark cautionary paint from around the drains or from a weapon or compass night sight, or anything that glows in the dark really... But with those two battling around the APC, no way in hell we are going there.." Curious what Faceless wanted, there was no way in hell she was going back to that APC for now.

~~~

"Good enough." Not exactly ideal, but now Ade was in their element now. Fortunately for them, the tools they needed to complete the little project were with them and everything else would fall into place. "Help me get the fuck up and we'll see what we can do." Oh yes. Losses and feelings be damned, there was no way in hell Ade was going to let this chance slip by their fingers. Even if they would not kill their enemies here, it would be more than enough to give them a lesson on underestimating the soldiers of FEARLESS.

~~~

"...This better be good.." Ejecting her mag, and picking up the spare, Erja passes them backwards, leaning more on the medic for support, turning her chest in towards him, the two mags fall back, as Erja goes back to using the SVD as a crutch. Grumbling as the Medic hands over what he had, White Death takes the broken scope from off her rifle, handing it back. "Now to find some paint.."

~~~

"The expression on that thing's face will be worth it." Barely able to stand on their two legs, Ade Stafford somehow managed to stay coherent and retrieve their two knives. Battered as they were from the whole collision, they were more than enough for what the slightly crazy chemist had in mind. Work started right away and for someone who had just been beaten on the head several times in quick succession, Faceless worked remarkably quickly. They calculated and measured with whatever tools they had, mixing the magnesium, phosphor and gunpowder into an acceptable mixture, then placed the resulting material into an improvised vessel. The resulting projectile looked ugly as hell, was probably as aerodynamic as a garbage heap, but it would do the job.

"Treat is as a less effective flashbang," said Ade as they handed Erja the thing. "Aim well." And as far as they were concerned, that was all the necessary instruction Erja would need from them.

~~~

"A rifle Grenade huh.. Creative." Looking at the device it would be more proper to say it was a flashbang. Looking at the device and taking back her spare round, Erja looks at the medic with a sideways glance. "Tell your friend what we'll be aiming to do.. I figure I can land this from 200 meters... We'll use this building for cover, then go into the sewers... I have a safehouse down there... We can't get back to the bar and it's already dark.. We'll hang low, get patched up, I'll make contact with command later. Let me borrow your side a little longer.." Taking the Grenade and putting it on her rifle, Erja aims skyward, firing the round, the makeshift flash bang, she aims skyward, focusing her eyes, the pair seemed read to do another blade exchange. "Send the Message now, tell her we are leaving, if she doesn't get the drop she should do the same..I want that bitch dead as well..but enough of us have died today.."

Pulling the trigger a loud bang sounds, propelling the former rifle scope the distance. Erja nudges into the medic, now was the time to leave, thankfully the shot from the corner and so far away should be enough to get away unnoticed, as a loud bang can be heard. Down a nearby manhole, they would have to aid Ade most of the way, a few minuets later, and a few twists and turns, they are deeper into the sewers walking on a concert walkway. Steam blows, water trickles and thankfully all three had masks to block out the smells. Suddenly up ahead a dark outline is visible in the distance. Letting her eyes adjust...no it couldn't be, could it?

"Ansgar!?" Calling out to the target, as she lifts her SVD up, there weren't many other people who would be dressed that way, as her eyes adjust to the darkness. What in the hell was he doing down here... My safe house was a bit further away, does he know of it somehow.. No that doesn't make sense..

NHP4Ihq.png
Surprisingly enough, the one being dragged began requesting inventories and formulating some kind of plan soon as they came to. Jake wasn't sure what kind of hair-brained scheme they were trying to come up with, but the young medic wasn't too keen on it. Why couldn't he ever find people that valued their own skin? "Yeah, and I have a gun and bullets too... which will definitely not be used to piss off the teleportation bitch."

As the two continued to drag Ade, they requested going back to the APC, which the sniper thankfully had enough common sense to know that was a bad idea. "I know you got hit in the head... but..." Sighing, this bunch he had decided to help could most probably get him killed. "Yeah, I got some magnesium... but for the record, if this just pisses the chick off, I am not gonna die for your pride." Cold for a medic, but the way Jake saw it, he could save a lot more people in the future if he kept himself alive. He especially wasn't going to get killed because a wounded terrorist thinks they have a chance against a monster like that.

Thankfully, Faceless's plan wasn't as suicidal as he thought. It was just a flash-bang. It could work. It could also fail horribly depending. But they were going to do it regardless. Sighing as the sniper took aim and launched the make-shift grenade, Jake tapped the side of his helmet, activating his headset. "Val, we're throwing in a flash-bang. Use it as cover and get the hell out of there." Hopefully, that would be all the opportunity Valkyrie needed to escape—if she didn't let her anger get the better of her. RIP didn't know what history she had with that Praetorian, but obviously the Ecclesian had done something to make a personal enemy out of the older Noah.

A few minutes into their escape, they would come across movement in the sewers. Between the darkness and mask, all Jake could see was a dark figure once it was called out. Thankfully, it seemed to be a friend, at least of the sniper's. Letting out a sigh of relief, the surgeon lowers his gun. "Jesus fucking Christ... I gonna have to stitch you up too, guy, or are you good?"

64dGx3a.jpg
City streets and tall buildings gave away to an open night sky and cold winds as the APC sped along the highway, free from pursuing CLERICs and PALADINs. Overhead, the stars twinkled beautifully, and all around, Arata saw nothing but empty roads lit up by incandescent lamp posts.

It was quiet now, peaceful. Tranquil, even.

But he could not rest. Regardless of how relaxed Foxtrot and Titan were, he could not lose focus, could not let go of the fear that continued to clutch at his heart. They were sitting ducks for any snipers in such an open area, and the fact that there were no other cars at all on the road only made it seem more and more likely that the enemy had intentionally let them leave. Team One only had a single APC. If they lost that, wouldn't they be more or less stranded? Even if Arata could survive a ballistic missile, he couldn't say the same for their much-too-lax PACKAGE, or basically anyone else other than Titan.

His grip tightened, relaxed, tightened, relaxed, dark blue eyes still searching the horizon for any sort of threat, any sort of sign. A flash from a muzzle. The sound of another engine. Anything to give him a clue of where the next threat, the next ambush, would come from.

And yet, instead of sharing that same sense of urgency, Titan and Foxtrot engaged in rhetoric about the death of loved ones, and the proper way to send them off.

Madmen.

A voice, slick as oil, sounded in Arata's mind. He was truly surrounded by the insane, wasn't he? Those who would follow orders that were suicidal. Those who would fight the incarnation of death itself. Those who would continue to struggle even after losing their loved ones. Those who would burn themselves away for revenge.

He glanced towards the RONIN.

Had his tears already been shed for Echo? Or had he never cried to begin with, only add another memory to the graveyard he kept in his mind? Was this the cycle, the engine that ran FEARLESS? A self-perpetuating wheel of vengeance, where each mission costs people their loved ones, and each loss matures into a hatred that drives them to toss away their lives for their self-satisfaction? The blood rage had long gone, but he could recall now, the faces of those he had slain, and the faces of those who were his allies.

Razor had been seeking death, tossing away his only form of long range combat.

Sarge had been seeking death, rising out of the hatch with only his body against a fully armored Paladin.

Tia had been seeking death, so enamored with avenging Netrunner and so desperate to save someone who could not be saved that she would bring herself into the jaws of death.

They were all treating themselves like bullets, trying to strike a fatal blow and fall into nothingness.

So why not offer their lives to me?

The faces of the slain were replaced by the faces of the living. The corruption spread.

"No."

He bit his lower lip, drawing blood, casting unnecessary thoughts into a darker corner of his mind. His shoulders shook as a chill, not from the night wind, ran through his slight frame. He couldn't do that. His own deathstrokes would not provide a slow, gentle death, not grant enough time for the warmth that Titan thought people desired in their last moments. No closure. No denouement. No whispered confessions.

Just a sudden, gory explosion.

He shrunk into himself.

Even on top of this small, metal island, in which two others laid down upon, Arata remained isolated, alone.

A speck of dust within a sea of stars.

Reactions: Winter
3LNLGRa.jpg

"Ansgar!?"

Razor turned, almost sending his knife hurtling towards the voice, holding himself back as he spotted the figures that were sharing the shadows of the sewers right now. A practiced motion made a familiar snicking sound as it closed the balisong, hands returning idly to his pockets as he stood upright instead of his normal skulking stance he used moving about. Once the survivors of Team 2 and their savior, some medic he barely recognized, eyes adjusted, they might spot the crimson running down from a split in the side of his head, on the left, but it was, comparatively, nothing serious. Really, a bandage would hold it together and let it heal fine. However, the amount of dust, bits of concrete, and such indicated he had cut it a lot closer than he would have ever admitted. The other two he knew though, White Death, aka Erja Liikanen, a sniper who operated on similar principles to his own. Killing Ecclesians. The other, who seemed rather off her kilter still, was that one that people kept arguing about the gender of. Ade Stafford, codename Faceless. Hardly surprised him they survived, but the lack of numbers, considering the size of Team 2, was rather telling.

"Speak of the devil, and he shall appear, no?" Ansgar's eyes met each of the surviving members of Team 2, and he sighed, knowing damn well what likely happened. Once again, things well above the heads of 'mere' Ronin and Seraphs had shown up and made life difficult for all parties involved. Faceless looked too damn unsteady to be going much farther, and it was likely smart to have the lot of them sitting down for a spell. They could catch him up later on what precisely happened. Sawbones went and asked if he was going to need stitched up too, and he snorted in faux amusement. He was irritated still, but none of those present were Noah, so no one worth taking it out on was here. He would be saving that for Magna, when he got around to catching up with that son of a bitch. "Relatively minor cut above the left eyebrow, nothing you need to waste time on sawbones. And its Razor, not guy. Look, normally I ain't one for bringing company home, but I got a bolthole not too far off. Considering the powers that be pretty much told us we are on our own after the mission for someplace to lay low? Also the fact I don't need command jumping down my throat for ditching people? Beggers can't be choosers. Five minutes or so, tops, and another minute or two to make it safe for guests. Unless you lot got something closer?"

It was strange to see others using the sewers, really, Ansgar considered. Perhaps one of them had a bolthole down here as well? Only one that would make any sort of sense would be Erja, and he never had her pegged for a sewer rat. Sure, while he had said about ditching people being more the fact he didn't need command on his ass about it then anything else, it was more covering his own ass then anything else. The two that at least knew him to some extent would realize that, but sawbones? Who bloody knew, only reason he knew the guy was a medic was, well, the mask and the fact he was talking about stitching people up. Even so, he had been rather looking forward to some peace and quiet, but now he would likely have to start entertaining stupid damn questions or otherwise babysitting guests. Great, he thought sarcastically, just what he needed. But, as was mentioned, he wasn't going to ditch the poor sods in the sewers. Seems they had lost enough already, and knowing some of the people on Team 2? Ansgar was going to need a stiff drink after this mission. And don't even get him started on the Team 1 losses...

Erja Liikanen - Team 2
jnTmPYw.jpg

"Well let's save further introductions and questions for later.. Ecclesian's don't normally come down here but.. And the medic is one of us.." Still his comment on the devil had hit home. Letting out a light sigh as she remains leaning against the medic her gaze drifts towards the floor. Minus his snide remarks time to time, he at least hadn't abbaonded them. So regardless of the attitude he couldn't be that bad, or at least he was an ally, though she felt a bit bad not getting his name yet, now was not the time.

"..yeah I still need to contact command about this Devil. We are all that's left. Details can wait." Saying this Erja listens to the melee fighter's offer, Erja grits her teeth beneath the mask, he was a bit reluctant, but he was still offering, truth be told she wasn't happy about taking people to one of the safe houses she used, her actual home was too far to reach tonight at least, and the safe house was 30 minutes from here.

Pondering how to deal with this in the most effective manner, her gasmask filters let out a strong exhale of air. Likely a sigh or a simple release of tension. "Honestly.. The safe house I wanted to use is in a closed down Utility Tunnel about a mile from here..as I'm sure you can tell we aren't in the best of shape... But I don't want to impose on you.." Tilting her head slightly there was one solution they all should be able to live with, least in her own point of view.

"If you have a few blankets, cots, anything like that we can just sleep off on our own, let the medic patch us up, in the morning we can be out of here to where we were headed, then our own ways. If for some reason we can't I can get supplies from my own safe house till I'm sure we can be on the move." She adds as an afterthought before concluding;

"I don't see why we won't be able to leave in the morning. All we'll need from you is some water, if you have questions I'll answer, but I can guess things didn't go to plan on your end.. I did see the APC's but we couldn't do anything." Debating if she wanted to ask what happened on his end, it likely wasn't a good idea in general, more so not right now.

Giving a shrug of her left shoulder Erja motions towards Ansgar with her left hand, or rather the SVD, still using it as a crutch. Accepting his offer she at least laid out a few ground rules as to not impact his home or his always private nature too much. From what she observed of him it was likely the source of his reluctance, plus he seemed a little beaten up, with a slight head wound and plenty of dust covering his normally pristine suit. "Well let's go... I'll contact command in the morning."

She hoped that they would disturb him too much, but in all honesty dragging Ade was getting tiresome, not too mention she needed off her ankle, possibly to see if it needed a reset. All in all she wasn't surprised Ansgar was down here, but she was that he had a place he called home so close to here, not using the safe house down here often, it wasn't too surprising she had never ran into him at all.

3wYGnfp.jpg

\\ Juniper Hamilton
\\ Team III

It took a little time, but Juniper finally settled down, her frame becoming more relaxed and less tense as the danger of the battle became a thing in passing. Still in the turret seat, keeping a keen eye out for remaining threats, the raven-haired girl chuckled bitterly that the greatest threat to her (now fragmented) team had been the friendly fire from the brainless tin can that was supposed to be their escort. The same could not be said for the white-haired soldier that barely held himself together in his seat; he and the deceased had taken the brunt of the battle. Even now, from his injuries, it looked like he would not fight again anytime soon. Squad three had it lucky; it was truly unfortunate that they couldn't have done more.

"Rubel, take a few more turns, will you?" Juniper had long since disabled the transponder and networking equipment of the hijacked CLERIC vehicle, but Sarge was not the only one that found it odd that they had not been pursued. Naturally, the logical conclusion would be that the vehicles or even one of the FEARLESS were being tracked; as such, Juniper had instructed Rubel to make several detours before heading to a proper safe house. She trusted the other elements of their retreating strike teams to do the same. The ones that remained, of course.

The crimson-eyed SERAPHIM scoffed at the RONIN's jest. "Sorry Sarge, he's not my type if you wanted to punch him." She made a lighthearted shrug at the white-haired man's laugh. "Just don't croak before we get home, alright?" Juniper twirled a white cigarette in her hand. "You're the one who pulled the most weight here, you know."

And had the balls to go one on one with a paladin while not being one himself..

"In the end, it's the same scenery on the other side of the river."

Juniper leaned back, listening to the hum of the vehicle's engine.

FmumlOe.jpg

"I...I..." The Chaos Witch started to get really tired. Further and further from immediate danger the exhaustion of her magic was finally setting in with full force. Apart from that, however, she was also incredible dissatisfied and... sad. About what? Not even she could quite tell.

Still, finally having given in the raven haired woman relaxed her head on Tia's strong back.

"I don't need anyone."
"I'm the strongest."
"Rely only on yourself."
"Human's are worthless."
"Friendship is weakness."
"Kill or be killed... ."

Aresia kept saying those, and similar lines, to herself, clearly disregarding the existence of her escape driver, the Chaos Witch repeated them over and over again like some sort of sacred chanting.

gmTFu7C.png

2 0 0 0
-----
x7HMIRf.png

Yul5rZ6.png

"What I'm trying to say Fox, is that Id be grateful if there was someone to hold me, lie to me and tell me a load of bullshit when my curtain closes"

FOX remained silent through most of Naomi's words, though they brought some comfort to his guilty conscience. To know that ECHO perhaps didn't hate him after all for leaving her last moments with a terrible lie. But what could a person, who has lost nobody, know about such a thing? FOX cast his skepticism to the back of his mind, feeling that he was beginning to overthink things. People live. People die. The rest was just semantics.

"Heh. Let's make a deal then: don't die."

FOX mused, his eyes staring blankly into the darkness above.

"I'm getting sick of the holding and the bullshitting."

Several miles later, the APCs slowly crept to a stop. They had finally reached their destination - the garage safe house that sat on the western side of the city. Several guards disguised as construction workers opened up the garage doors for the armored vehicles, allowing them to roll into the safe house before slowly shutting the doors behind. As everyone disembarked from the vehicles, several men in uniform motioned for everyone to approach. Standing at the center was GODFATHER, now dressed in the dark military uniform of FEARLESS officers.

"Do you have it?"

Gillian motioned towards FOXTROT. Across the men's faces were looks of hope, they had risked so much, lost so many friends to make this operation a success... and now it all hinged on FOX. STINGRAY emerged from behind, extending the back end of a switchblade to their PACKAGE.

Taking the switchblade into his hands, FOX flipped the dagger open before running the blade across his leg. Crossing the blade against his pants, FOX gently tore into the knee area of the fabric, ripping the seam to reveal a small compartment that was stitched carefully inside. Inside the hole was a white data stick, which was covered in dried blood. It was the data file GLITCH had pulled from the data NODE before being killed by the Phantom.

"I hope so..." FOX sighed, handing the drive to STINGRAY.

Snatching the data file from his hands, STINGRAY slammed a laptop onto a nearby table, opening the computer and quickly plugging the device into the unit. "Please don't be corrupt... please for fuck's sake don't be corrupted" The SERAPH muttered to herself under her breath, but still audible in the quiet room around them. Mashing keys on the keyboard, her body froze.

"Well? Do we have it?" The Commodore asked, breaking the silence.

STINGRAY turned towards Gillian, "We didn't get the goldmine..." she frowned, before turning the computer towards the crowd around her. "...but we still found diamonds."

The computer screen displayed six portraits, along with large data files underneath each of them.

It was the Praetorians.

"These files... we have their faces... their names..." STINGRAY paused, her body almost shaking in excitement. "With some time, we'll be able to figure out where and when they'll be somewhere. We'll be able to take out the leadership in one stroke."

"We'll kill them all."

---------

LJqHclF.png

yTEYct7.png

"Damn, she's fast!" Valkyrie tossed herself at the enemy once more, slashing her sword only to strike harmlessly through the air. It seemed like Valkyrie was truly grasping at a phantom. At this rate, neither of the two warriors were going to get anywhere. Was her opponent holding back? It seemed as if her opponent was capable of phasing in and out of reality, a magic trick which would have killed her instantly, if not for Ragnarök watching over her.

As her opponent fired another shot from the side, only to disappear once more into... wherever the hell she goes when she disappears, Valkyrie stomped her heel into the ground. This was getting old... fast.

"STOP SCREWING WITH ME!" Valkyrie cried, bearing her sword between her hands. If she was going to end this fight, she needed some way of getting the upper hand - some way of lowering her opponent's guard. For once, Valkyrie had to actually think. After a moment of contemplation, Valkyrie had devised a plan.

Following the same motions as before, she chased after the assassin, swinging her sword into the air just as she had several times before. Once again, it was a miss - but rather than dwelling in the mistake, Valkyrie gracefully spun 180 degrees in place. "Ragnarök!" She commanded, one of her sentient floating swords preparing to launch itself into the air in front of her.

As if on cue, the assassin materialized into Valkyrie's field of view, her floating sword pointed directly at her. "Got you! Ragnarök, rýðr ragna siǫt!" She chanted, the floating stake of metal preparing to charge forth. The shot was perfectly lined... until...

"Val, we're throwing in a flash-bang. Use it as cover and get the hell out of there."

A blast of white light suddenly blinded Valkyrie's vision, obscuring her aim. At the same time, a thunderous roar ECHOED throughout the urban cityscape as the sword blasted forward, leaving a torrent of wind and a powerful shockwave in its wake. As the earth ceased shaking, Valkyrie's senses slowly returned to her. To her dismay, her shot had missed completely, a large crater formed into the asphalt where ECHO's killer had once stood. It seemed that the flashbang intended for Valkyrie's escape had been used opposite of its intention. With the Praetorian nowhere in sight, it was clear that the Praetorian had escaped her grasp.

"Shit!" In a fit of temporary rage, Valkyrie dug her blade into the ground before striking it with her foot - unceremoniously punting the weapon across the street. Gritting her teeth and clenching her fists, any witnesses may have been able to see the steam rising from her head.

"I'll kill you."

----

After several moments of silent fuming, Ashlynn headed off to meet up with Jake and the survivors of the APC crash. She followed their trail of voices to a nearby manhole, jumping down the circular entryway and landing on the small concrete walkway below. In the darkness, Valkyrie counted four figures - one more than she had originally thought there to be. "Friend of yours?" Valkyrie interjected, noticing that the white haired woman she had saved did not shoot him... yet.

Watching Erja and Stafford struggle off into the opposite direction, Ashlynn beckoned for them to stop. "Where are you guys going?" She began, noticing in the small rays of light which penetrated through the manhole above just how badly banged up they all were. "The block heads will be combing through these sewers soon. We're too close to the vehicle you guys flipped over back there." She remarked, motioning in the opposite direction.

"That way. We're not far from the AFTERLIFE." Although it was a little farther, Valkyrie had many questions that needed answering. While she could leave Jake with the others, she wasn't too confident that they would be safe without her help. "Unless you guys want to sleep down here... I mean, that's cool too..." She crossed her arms behind her back, the floating swords forming an aura around the young NOAH.

P6BEGZY.jpg
Sarge had crawled out of his APC at this point, and was leaning against a nearby crate, as he awaited the news. A look of anger flashing briefly over his features as the great reveal, was just some data on the Praetorians. Andre walked over to Foxtrot, and tore his pistol, and it's holster off the man's belt, before he started to limp away. "All this to save pretty boy...and find info out about some Praetorians. With our best NOAH we can't even take down a single paladin. And we're wasting time on this shit." Andre spat as he limped back to his crate. Not much of his color had returned, but he still managed to appear rather angry.

The old man was tempted to actually pull his gun and shoot Foxtrot for a split second, purely out of spite, for the fact he'd lost so many men, and likely his ability to fight. He could tell the wound to his leg was severe now...likely he wouldn't be combat ready ever again. "Godfather...look at how much we lost for this. For six names, and six pictures. We lost squads, upon squads. NOAH upon NOAH. There are so many bodies...and all we have are pictures and names."

Andre slammed his fist into the box he was leaning against, splintering the wood a bit, as it was already rotting. "I lost Netrunner...I haven't heard a word from Victoria. Almost my entire squad of RONIN were killed! What the fuck are we fighting for? This isn't a war, this is just a fucking game to you, isn't it!" The old man almost roared with rage, not holding back with his criticism, "Collect the data, and use us fucking pawns to do it. Fucking fool. And to think I left the Clerics, to escape being expendable. Only to get tossed into a fight, for six pictures." Once more he started to limp away. He didn't look for support, just moving slowly. He was beyond pissed. Andre had lost everything today, his ability to fight, two of his favorite NOAH, and some of his closest RONIN friends.

It wasn't hard to tell he was on the verge of crying as he started to limp away for a more private room. Pushing one RONIN that tried to help him walk, right onto his ass. "Godfather, next time you decide to kill us all for six pictures. Make sure you tell us what we're going out for. The Clerics at least had the common decency to give us our mission objective clearly." Most of what the man was saying was mostly just anger of the moment. Granted his words held no less bite. As he disappeared off past a door that lead to one of the few rooms in this Safehouse. It wouldn't be comfortable, but without a true medical station in the area, a extended rest was the only thing he could really do to get better. Granted he was already sitting with his gun out and loaded. Waiting for someone to get anxious, and try to go after him for his words of aggression.

Andre may have been a senior member of FEARLESS, but that didn't mean he was protected by age, and status. Even worse, he truly couldn't care at all about what Godfather would say to him. The old man had lost nearly everything today...the young man he collected rare gadgets and toys for in the streets and the markets. The young blind girl, he read books to at night. The soldiers he drank, and laughed with...but most of all, Sarge had lost his will to fight. He had a body that could no longer endure it, and he was proven to be weaker than he ever expected. He'd spent his entire life training to fight Paladins, Clerics, and so on...yet here he was, permanently injured.

Tears streaked the blood on his face, washing away some of the red, dried coating on his face. He sat in the room he had taken, finding it empty and quiet. Andre wouldn't kill himself...he didn't have the nerves to do it. However he didn't understand what he was going to do with himself. Slumping over on the bed, he was weak, and knew finally rest. His breath's a bit less heavy than they had been on the ride here, he stared up at the ceiling. A soft whisper coming from his lips, "What would father...my mother...even my brother think of me? A pitiful soldier with nothing left. An old man with a limp. Someone who doesn't even understand what's fighting for anymore. How can I make a better world, if there's nothing left to make it better for?" The old man murmured, as he continued to look up at the ceiling. Starting to slowly fade away into sleep. Though his hand still clutched desperately onto his gun. He wasn't going to sleep well, and any sign of trouble was sure to wake him...or perhaps nothing would. It was a fair question, he looked like a prepared soldier for a fight still, but he was so wounded it was questionable at best if he had the strength just to sit back up if needed.

GVTuY41.jpg

Screeching Mixuki to a halt as she hurriedly glanced behind her, things seemed okay for the arrival of the two APC's. It hadn't been a day without loss, a day without suffering, that was for sure, but they'd fucking did it. Putting a hand up to signal to the driver of the APC that they'd arrived, Tia shot a look behind her to the witch, still chanting that strange mantra of hers. Jeez... was it something she said?

"Hey... uh, Witchy. Those are some great lyrics you've got going there for your next hit single, but we've arrived and I'm gonna dispel Mixuki now, okay?" Tia chuckled, clambering off the ride, not hesitating to pick up the other NOAH and place her neatly on the ground to avoid the risk of fingerprints getting on it. "...Thanks for riding with me. It was... nice. I mean that. You may curse yourself for making friendships, but I say just let it happen. You know you like it really." Tia grinned, prodding Aresia playfully in the stomach.

Looking back to her treasured vehicle, Tia stayed behind for a while as most others seemed to funnel into the building mostly instantly. Her hand slowly brushing through the 'ears' of the motorcycle, Tia took a moment to stare. To let her mind wander. To let her eyes glance past all matter, and look into nothing. Just to get those visions of Netrunner's corpse, pulped and bleeding on the floor, out of her mind. That time of no reply when trying to get through to her comrades.

It was times like this he heard 'his voice', gently in her ear.
"Rough day, huh, lanky?"
"...Yeah," Tia whispered simply. "Rough day."
No more needed to be said. Her hand gently weaved through the handlebar of the Blackbird, the two giving a silent exchange of thoughts as she felt that invisible hand on her shoulder. As that grip began to tighten, Tia closed her eyes, begrudgingly whispering the command: "Mixuki: away."

~ ~ ~

One of the last to enter the building, Tia had still arrived on time for the big reveal of the mission. Evidence on all 6 Praetorian members, by the looks of things, and that was big. As well as retrieving one of the most well respected RONIN, the lives hadn't completely gone to waste. But... still. Was... was this really it, for such a big operation? Keeping silent as Sarge wasn't so discreet about his concerns, Tia bit her lip.

No... she thought it had been slightly 'worth it' at first, but this was ridiculous. Sarge was right. No matter how professional and slick GODFATHER acted, surely this was some sort of fuck up? An operation so grand, just for visual identification? What did visual identification matter? Assassinating a praetorian was a childish dream. It wasn't completely useless... but... still. In the grand scheme of things, it all just seemed a bit underwhelming. She was grateful for the survival of FOXTROT, and grateful she now knew six faces to run the fuck away from, but... many friends of hers... bleeding dead on the ground... for what?

Despite her doubts, Tia shut those wavering eyes of hers tight, shaking her head repeatedly until her mind was convinced 'it was worth it'. She wasn't the leader here... there had to be some reason this information was actually invaluable. She'd put her life in the hands of FEARLESS, so who was she to question it all? When it came to professional talk like this, Tia knew she'd do well just to keep her mouth shut.

Tension built through the room as Sarge's voice raised, his distraught voice piercing the barrier that attempted to shield her from panicking. Abruptly, his words came to a stop, and Tia watched with concerned eyes as the veteran bolted out the room. Stepping forward, she looked back to the others for a little.
"...I'll... I'll go talk to him. We've all been through a lot today, but... Sarge, he..." Tia mumbled, breaking the silence that seemed contagious. "Well... anyway, I'll be in the bar, in a bit... good work, everyone."

Silently following after the broken man, room by room, corridor by corridor, it was only when Sarge entered a room to be 'alone' and 'recover' when Tia stopped her silent pursuit. Standing outside the doorway for a moment, she heard the lumbering figure settle down. She could barely make out words he was whispering, but what she could make out between the silent sobs, was enough to bring tears to her eyes. She couldn't leave him like this. There was no way; it was an injustice. Giving it a while, Tia peered inside to see the sleeping RONIN, taking a breath before making her way to gently settle down by his side.

"Hey, big guy..." Tia softly began, loud enough to wake him up, though she was careful not to awaken the RONIN with a start. "Don't worry, it's only me... just wanted to see how the legendary Sarge was doing after his most recent battle, hmm? How you're still walking after all of that amazes me, but at the same time, it doesn't," Tia chuckled, but that chuckle quickly faded away into something else. Something more serious. Silence fluttered throughout the room, and her throat felt constricted as she tried to get out the words, her tone a completely different monotone to what it once was. "I just thought I'd... I'd let you know, that..."

Her voice cut off quickly, and she took a moment to take a long, deep inhale, as to not burst into tears. Being alone in a room with such a broken man, after everything she'd seen out there, had suddenly welled up all her emotion, and it was gagging to crawl and burst out of her stomach. Her lip quivered as she managed to continue speaking without breaking down.

"T-this isn't the end for you, alright...? There's still things you can do... so many things you can teach, and whether you're on or off duty, that won't stop people from seeing you; from respecting you as a hero within FEARLESS. You've accomplished things men could only dream of... w-way more than that brat, Razor, anyway," Tia added jokingly, managing a smile, before looking to the floor. Deep breaths. She had to say it without crying.

"I don't care what they say; what they think you've become... y-you're..." Tia tightened her eyes, her voice cracking as she said it.

"You're always family to me...!"

She couldn't.

Bursting into tears, Tia placed her head into her hands, taking this moment in this quiet place alongside a man she so respected, to let out all of her bottled up grief. Through sniffles, the NOAH blurted out words that she previously wanted to keep to herself. All her emotions she wanted to keep to herself, and hide them through a carefree attitude, but she just couldn't right now.
"I miss them as well, Sarge... I miss them so much..." Tia choked, "...I swear, I'll make those bastards pay. It's n-not all Godfather's fault... we're just getting what little info we can, fighting against the 'unbeatable'... everything we did, everything we sacrificed... even if it felt like little... it's not gonna go to waste..."

Drying her tears and breathing heavily, she took a few moments to calm down.

"I-I'll leave you be now... I... I was just wondering..." Tia turned her head, looking at the man through bloodshot eyes, "...You want me to bring you a drink... or something?"

Status
Not open for further replies.